Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    fintail said:

The braintrust behind that nonsense - I see similar from dealers out here, I think many of them employ these marketing firms, giving a similar sleazy vibe from coast to coast.

Got another email from her yesterday. This time it had the line "We have a few people ready to buy your vehicle, but they will need to know today if you have an interest in pursuing the conversation."

Conversation? What conversation? They don't have any clue what I own.

That did it for me, so last night I sent her a pretty stiff email saying basically that the campaign is misleading and sleazy, and that they have erased any inclination I might have had for ever doing business with them in the future because of all the false statements in the string of emails. I mentioned these were something she likely had to send thanks to management direction, so it wasn't personal, but that I was done with them.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    So The Eagles, I can't even explain how awesome the show was. Played the entire Hotel California album...Henley, Walsh, just awesome. Great way to wrap up my conference week.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    ab, in this case, most likely "she" is a database and computer program someplace just cranking out these emails. No human intervention required! and no one at the dealer likely has any clue who you are.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    No, she is a real person, one of the salespeople pictured on their website (and trust me, based on the pictures of the group as a whole these are not actors). So if a computer is sending out dumb emails under her name, she should be aware. In any event my email was addressed to her, not the address the dumb messages came from.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    Hmmm... sounds like Manti Te'o girlfriend. B)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    stickguy said:

The Caddy might be off the list. I mentioned wanting to get up to that dealer to drive one (well, use my $50 test drive card voucher!). And she made a "but it's a Cadillac" face and comments. I even showed her one today we parked next to. Admitted it looked OK, but another "it's a Cadillac". I even pointed out how it was way nicer than her car, but she just said there were other cars that were too, that weren't any more expensive.

For someone that knows nothing about cars, she became quite the car (brand) snob! I assumed she refused to consider Ford because her father/uncles were Chevy/GM (Olds, then Caddy) buyers. But she won't look at Chevy either, and is anti-Caddy.

oh well. I at least know their are foreign badges she still likes!

My wife will consider an Audi, a BMW/Mini, a Jeep, a Nissan, or a Mazda. She came from a Buick family, but anything GM is off her list.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    my wife's approved list doesn't always make sense to me, and the reasons are interesting. She agreed now to look at Audi, when she was always against VW/Audi. I thought it was personal, turns out, she just did not like the seats in the couple that were in the family.

Acura of course she likes. Hyundai she was fine with. BMW, and Volvo, no issue there (other than $). The Mazda she liked, and is OK with that brand,

Subaru I think she is fine with the badge, just doesn't want "a wagon".

She won't take a GM or Ford, and Jeep would be a really tough sell.

• Options
    marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    @sand man yes I think those tablet things that are out now currently I’m all models are here to stay for a while how many years I don’t know until the best next thing comes along. yes you’re better getting on those cupholder mounts and silver one that goes on the window agreed hopefully you’re able to do some traveling soon if you want to do when retired. and hopefully mobility won’t get in the way close awesome future plans.
  • Options
    @pensman. Glad you injoyed. The egals. Consort
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    I win!
  • Options
    Cool! Congrats!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,319

Punch. Lovely day to drive a new car home. Stopped after 120 miles to do a fast charge. Range is impressive so far.

Congrats!

Time to update your signature line.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Nice! What year? I assume it has the REX?
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Water pressure update - I bought a pressure gauge while at continuing ed classes last week. First tested it at my parents' house, they have about 70 PSI (which is excessive), but have lived there 20 years and have no issues. Mine tested at 55 PSI, but the noise isn't currently occurring. Will wait to recheck when the noise happens again.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    @28firefighter - congrats! Mazel-Tov! Happy new year to you and your family!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393
    Thanks! It’s a 2019 i3 REX with Tech, Tera, Harmon Kardon, and TurboCord.

Same to you, @nyccarguy !
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    @28ff nice congrads!
  • Options
    @corvette Man man keep us updated on this ongoing water pressure issue, no you’ll get to the bottom of it soon.
  • Options
    corvette said:

Water pressure update - I bought a pressure gauge while at continuing ed classes last week.

They sell water pressure gauges at school? :open_mouth:

• Options

Thanks! It’s a 2019 i3 REX with Tech, Tera, Harmon Kardon, and TurboCord.

Same to you, @nyccarguy !

Congrats! I like those.

• Options
    ab348 said:

corvette said:

Water pressure update - I bought a pressure gauge while at continuing ed classes last week.

They sell water pressure gauges at school? :open_mouth:
    It’s the same guy you get your weed from.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    @28firefighter - congrats! I like the white on the i3. With the longer range on the 2019's, I'd consider another one as well. It's a fun car in its own right.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    "Psst! C'mere. I got some real good stuff today... look at this, solid brass, goes up to 120psi!"

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,565

Punch. Lovely day to drive a new car home. Stopped after 120 miles to do a fast charge. Range is impressive so far.

Nice car and a good way to start your new year. Happy New Year to you and all my Kosher buddies in here.

I'll probably butcher this but here goes...La Shanna Tova.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Congrats. 120 miles? Did you go to OR to pick it up?

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    jmonroe1 said:

Nice car and a good way to start your new year. Happy New Year to you and all my Kosher buddies in here.

I'll probably butcher this but here goes...La Shanna Tova.

jmonroe
    No way to butcher it as the English is just an approximation of the Hebrew. And a sweet new year to you as well!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    @fintail - yes. One of the Oregon area dealers. They were awesome.

Flew down out of Paine Field this morning, was in and out in 20 minutes and hit the road. Stopped near Olympia to charge and grab a bite. Traffic through Tacoma was an absolute nightmare.

Thanks for the well wishes, @jmonroe. You got the words right - how you got there doesn’t matter unless you’re typing in Hebrew, as @suydam said.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    Congrats !!! Nice ride.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options

Flew down out of Paine Field this morning, was in and out in 20 minutes and hit the road. Stopped near Olympia to charge and grab a bite. Traffic through Tacoma was an absolute nightmare.

Thanks for the well wishes, @jmonroe. You got the words right - how you got there doesn’t matter unless you’re typing in Hebrew, as @suydam said.

Thanks for the thanks. Type in Hebrew? What are you, a comedian? I'm sure, you guys have asked yourselves several times, "where did this guy learn to type"? Better yet, where did he learn to talk?Anyway, by now you've come to the realization that I ain't no English major. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    I’ve achieved native fluency in Pittsburghese.
  • Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    edited September 2019
    Nice ride @28firefighter. Enjoy it!
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    Congrats @28firefighter!!
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949

Another congrats.

Lease? Did it replace something? Details?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    This will replace the X1 when it goes back in a couple months. Now that we have the Outback was the family truckster we are going to give it a whirl.
  • Options
    Deets are over at your favorite website.
  • Options

I’ve achieved native fluency in Pittsburghese.

You probably know there is an almost famous T-Shirt that has a lot of Pittsburghese slang language.

jmonroe
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Same kind of wacky deal as advertised by MB of Wilsonville?

I was in south end earlier today, came home afternoon - 167/405 interchange was a mess too.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,279
    I should have discussed what the prize was before I guessed
  • Options
    @jmonro. You and me both or not know English major, I know I’m not horrible at it ha ha Ha.
  • Options
    Who is this guy that we speak of who sells weed I might be interested. lol lol
  • Options

@jmonro. You and me both or not know English major, I know I’m not horrible at it ha ha Ha.

@Marco, I knew you'd understand. You're even worser than me. :D

jmonroe
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    huh. So I went to order a hub assembly for my Equinox off Amazon for $70. An option came up to have someone come to my house and install it for $145. Based on what I’ve seen on the interwebs on changing the damned thing, I figured that could be well worth it. I’m very curious to see how this works out. I'd love to have a cheap option like this considering all the projects I have going on around here.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I’ve seen the Amazon install thing on a lot of items. The most recent was a TV mount I ordered for work. $99 to mount a TV. Not bad.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

I’ve seen the Amazon install thing on a lot of items. The most recent was a TV mount I ordered for work. $99 to mount a TV. Not bad.

As long as they don't use dry wall anchors like a guy down the street had happen to him. The good thing is, they bought him a new TV which he said was a better unit than he originally had. In his case newer was better.

jmonroe
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    That’s brutal. Some of the new LED sets are so light a good toggle bolt would do.

When the maintenance guys hung my TV in my office at work they used those plastic large screw in anchors. I questioned it but it hasn’t fallen yet.

Any TV I’ve hung has been Into the studs with 3” lag bolts.

I hung a 60” Panasonic plasma years ago for someone. Weighed a TON. Used four giant lag bolts and two toggle bolts.

• Options
    these days I think the mounting bracket weighs more than the TV. I hung a 43" set in my bedroom a few years ago. Must have done OK at it, since it has not fallen down. I assume I put the screws into studs.

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    @28firefighter, congrats on the new Bimmer and many safe miles!
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Nice vehicle! A pal of mine is trying to get me to seriously look at a Chevy Bolt as my next vehicle. Not sure about electric as the infrastructure down south here ain't the best for electric vehicles. Thinking I should jump in the pool slowly and try a hybrid like the Hyundai Ionig which seem to be quite popular down here. The range on an electric vehicle might be a bit low as I'd like to have it at around 300 miles. I could see charging it at home over night in the garage without changing out the current plug for one with more charge to it.
    Since I won't be in the market for another 18 months or so, will just keep researching and go from there. As much as I'd love to get a 2020 model, the Golf is behaving currently and since I just put on new sneakers all around, want to keep it in the stable at least until I quit Hertz, and when that will be is anybody's guess right now!
    Happy New Year folks!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    tjc78 said:

That’s brutal. Some of the new LED sets are so light a good toggle bolt would do.

When the maintenance guys hung my TV in my office at work they used those plastic large screw in anchors. I questioned it but it hasn’t fallen yet.

Any TV I’ve hung has been Into the studs with 3” lag bolts.

I hung a 60” Panasonic plasma years ago for someone. Weighed a TON. Used four giant lag bolts and two toggle bolts.

Those plastic anchors you describe are the ones used when my neighbor had his TV professionally installed, which fell in about 6 months. Before they did it he questioned them about it and they told him because the LED TV's today are so light they have been using them for a few years with no trouble. Well, it didn't work for him. Obviously they didn't do something right.

FWIW, Son #1 is installing high and low video and power receptacles in the flip house he is finishing up. He is going to mark the walls with tape to show where the studs are for whomever buys it. I've told him several times he's putting too much lipstick on a pig. Just something he wants to do, in all 4 bedrooms and the living room. I asked him if he is going to provide a picture to hide the high outlets if the buyer doesn't like the looks of them? That he is not going to do. I think he's running out of lipstick.

jmonroe