Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    Link brings me to a BaT bidder login page - I'm not a rich techbro or a middle aged trust fund speculator, so I don't have one B)

Purple is very 90s, period correct for the car but not my cup of tea.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    me, too, but I just searched for M5 and got to it. Maybe this link will work.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-bmw-m5-touring-5/

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Perfect.

Car should draw a crowd at shows. Predictions?
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    That M5 will bring stupid money. And it should.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928

Not me- I love Daytona Violet.

Good buddy of mine has a new Charger that color

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Do you mean Plum Crazy? That is very different. I love plum crazy, although maybe not on a wagon.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    I always liked these.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-volkswagen-corrado-1-8-13/

This is in @28firefighter s region. Black over black, kinda blah. Not many pictures either.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2006-bmw-330ci-zhp-6-speed-8/
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    Guy I know just bought a Guards Red 1986 911 off of Bring A Trailer

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    qbrozen said:
    Love that Mini. As long as I don't have to pay to have the front end dismantled to replace the clutch.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    pensfan83 said:

I always liked these.

This is in @28firefighter s region. Black over black, kinda blah. Not many pictures either.

As you can see, I commented on it. That auction is going nowhere fast. Terrible pictures and no maintenance history.
  • Options
    I like the color on the M5, but that seems like a bit of a rat, and definitely a money pit with multiple rust areas and other needs.

• Options
    man, I thought these were cheap. I guess they used to be. Not any more if this is not a complete anomaly.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-bmw-320is/

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    qbrozen said:

tjc78 said:

Do you mean Plum Crazy? That is very different. I love plum crazy, although maybe not on a wagon.
    Yes it’s plum crazy. It’s definitely darker than the M Wagon

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    fintail said:

Link brings me to a BaT bidder login page - I'm not a rich techbro or a middle aged trust fund speculator, so I don't have one B)

That might be a tipoff as to what @roadburner is up to though. :smile:

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    ab348 said:

fintail said:

That might be a tipoff as to what @roadburner is up to though. :smile:
    A little self-gifting for Christmas? :p
  • Options

pensfan83 said:

I always liked these.

As you can see, I commented on it. That auction is going nowhere fast. Terrible pictures and no maintenance history.
    I have to agree with yourself and others, the pictures aren't great and for as long as the seller has owned it he hasn't provided a lot of info on maintenance.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,352
    stickguy said:

man, I thought these were cheap. I guess they used to be. Not any more if this is not a complete anomaly.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-bmw-320is/

Nothing is cheap on BAT

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,352
    pensfan83 said:

pensfan83 said:

I always liked these.

I have to agree with yourself and others, the pictures aren't great and for as long as the seller has owned it he hasn't provided a lot of info on maintenance.
    Nice low mile example. There are so many great color combos available, but black on black is uninspiring. At least it is metallic black.

Seems like he does dealer service, so that's good. But, it appears this car has had no updates to proactively deal with known mechanical issues. Low on miles, but after 14 years, some of those need to be addressed. Owner doesn't appear to be clued into the "old" BMW community, or he'd know about those. Description sounds like it's from a new car review in 2006.

Nice that it's bone stock. I wonder about the interior, because I've replaced my C-pillars, and my A/B pillars need to be done, as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    today is one of the semi-annual times I think we should be looking at a bigger family car. When I have to figure out how to jam all the Christmas stuff my wife has to travel with into the RDX, while leaving space for the dog (at first) then the princess (swapping her out of the dog along the way). It's, well, tight.

the other time is our annual week at the beach.

• Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    You could always rent a car for those 2 times.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

pensfan83 said:

pensfan83 said:

I always liked these.

Nice low mile example. There are so many great color combos available, but black on black is uninspiring. At least it is metallic black.

Seems like he does dealer service, so that's good. But, it appears this car has had no updates to proactively deal with known mechanical issues. Low on miles, but after 14 years, some of those need to be addressed. Owner doesn't appear to be clued into the "old" BMW community, or he'd know about those. Description sounds like it's from a new car review in 2006.

Nice that it's bone stock. I wonder about the interior, because I've replaced my C-pillars, and my A/B pillars need to be done, as well.
    I don't know why this guy wouldn't post pictures of the dealer service records upfront, the Prelude's former owner scanned and sent all of them to me without hesitation. I would personally take a higher mileage ZHP with service records and no fears of deferred maintenance before this one.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    suydam said:

You could always rent a car for those 2 times.

That's what I do; I rent a minivan or a pickup when I need one. No point in paying takes and insurance on something I really don't enjoy driving because I need that load carrying capability 2-3 times per year.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Nice value on that 2017. But no nav, which means no carplay. :(

• Options
    Looked through BaT for anything relevant to me (maybe I'll get a winning lottery ticket for Christmas), not a lot, but these two different ways of doing the same thing caught my eye:

Timeless

Not as old but still old
  • Options
    I love the interior on that '65.
  • Options
    pensfan83 said:

kyfdx said:

pensfan83 said:

pensfan83 said:

I always liked these.

I don't know why this guy wouldn't post pictures of the dealer service records upfront, the Prelude's former owner scanned and sent all of them to me without hesitation. I would personally take a higher mileage ZHP with service records and no fears of deferred maintenance before this one.
    Me too. At this point mileage means little to me and it’s all about the condition and history. I find it difficult to believe that after 11 years of ownership this person could be so clueless about the common failure points.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    fintail said:

Looked through BaT for anything relevant to me (maybe I'll get a winning lottery ticket for Christmas), not a lot, but these two different ways of doing the same thing caught my eye:

Timeless

Oh my goodness. That 220 coupe is simply stunning. The colors are beautiful and the change from its pre-resto state to what it is now is incredible. But I took the time to read the article in the magazine that was included with the pictures and the story is simply bizarre. A Beverly Hills police officer meets the girl of his dreams, decides to surprise her with a classic car, and finances the restoration of this 220 which he presents to her at the wedding rehearsal dinner. They are married in September of 2016 and now just a short time later are divorced, forcing the sale. I cannot imagine WTH happened.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited December 2019
    tjc78 said:

We had an 08 Elantra and a 17. Both were flawless, solid little cars. They are about as inspiring as an insurance seminar but good transportation. They also have a lot of content for the money.

Speaking of insurance seminar's, I have to do a 16-hour behavior modification traffic school, booked and scheduled for January 10th, 2020.

This was part of my plea deal to get my high speed speeding ticket reduced to 1-point for 3 years. Funny thing is, it's a "turbo" session so being on a weekday, I only have to take one day off to squeeze 16 hours into an 8 hour day. Preferable to wasting a weekend for the normal 2-day course.

My goal is to modify the instructor's behavior and beliefs with raw facts and data more than my own. We'll see. I have a feeling I should be "teaching" the course.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    jmonroejmonroe Member Posts: 8,989
    andres3 said:

tjc78 said:

We had an 08 Elantra and a 17. Both were flawless, solid little cars. They are about as inspiring as an insurance seminar but good transportation. They also have a lot of content for the money.

Speaking of insurance seminar's, I have to do a 16-hour behavior modification traffic school, booked and scheduled for January 10th, 2020.

This was part of my plea deal to get my high speed speeding ticket reduced to 1-point for 3 years. Funny thing is, it's a "turbo" session so being on a weekday, I only have to take one day off to squeeze 16 hours into an 8 hour day. Preferable to wasting a weekend for the normal 2-day course.

My goal is to modify the instructor's behavior and beliefs with raw facts and data more than my own. We'll see. I have a feeling I should be "teaching" the course.
    Who do you think will attend?

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '18 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    jmonroe said:

andres3 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe
    No need to attend. It will be broadcast on Face Book Live!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited December 2019
    jmonroe said:

andres3 said:

tjc78 said:

jmonroe
    Ha, well, the San Diego Courts only gave two contact numbers for this special 16 hour version of traffic school. One of them never picks up the phone at any time or any day. That means they could have charged $2,000 and I'd be out of luck. Luckily, it's only $200. Don't tell them that.

I was told the classes are typically 10-15 people at most.

Counter this with the 8-hour typical version, in which you have 1,000 websites to choose from. 5dollartrafficschool.com is no longer the low price leader. Typically, someone that's done one before can do the online school in about 2 hours.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • Options
    The CE classes for my insurance license are super cheap (and sometimes free), but almost universally awful and outdated. I had one decent and informative, live (streamed online) class, which cost a pretty penny, but then the CE provider refused to give me credit because they couldn't tell I had logged in. My company got a refund for that one.
  • Options
    My legal CE classes have been pretty decent for the most part.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    andres3 said:

tjc78 said:

You just convinced me to slow down out there

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    "My goal is to modify the instructor's behavior and beliefs with raw facts and data more than my own."

That'd be a bleachers and popcorn event for sure. I'm assuming you'll let us know how it goes.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    @stickguy,
    Just get a rooftop cargo box. You only put it on there when you need it.
    Here's the kid's Explorer with it on the top.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

My legal CE classes have been pretty decent for the most part.

Yeah, even the free ones through the bar association are pretty good. I think they make providers re-certify the materials each year, which weeds out the stale material.

On another note, just did my month end stuff and threw a chunk of change at the G37 loan. I owe less than $3,000 now!
  • Options
    Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO9jJu9zUcQ

• Options
    A merry, happy, and joyous to all!

I’ll give you two guesses as to what we’re having for dinner, but you will only need one!
  • Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    andres3 said:

tjc78 said:

Just tell them that it is APR’s fault.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    Happy Merry to all!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,365

Happy Merry to all!

+1 from Colorado

Where we are not having a white Christmas.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

I’ll give you two guesses as to what we’re having for dinner, but you will only need one!

I had a delicious mushroom and cheese dish at my local pub. Left both the bartenders a gourmet cookie in addition to the normal tip, and they seemed super appreciative. Most nearby restaurants appear to be closed today.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    +2 from the Orlando Florida area. Having a very relaxing few days so far. Haven't left the house in two days as I'm having a bad pain episode but luckily, we went shopping Friday after meeting an old fraternity brother for lunch. Got enough food for the week, so just binge watching a few shows we don't get at home. Nice to finally take a vacation and will leave either Saturday late afternoon or Sunday morning. Have to work Monday to make up for New Years Day and then we start at 7 am for the rest of the month.
    Heard from some folks at Hertz with holiday wishes and telling me that I'm really missed, something I didn't expect to hear! But I made the right move if even for the less than 7 mile round trip commute. Not so happy about a few other things but, it was the correct move at this time. No looking back!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Up in OF land, definitely A white Christmas. Thankfully only on grass. Nothing fresh on roads.

We fit the stuff in the car. Just stuffed. The wife is never going for renting option. Plus expensive to rent a van. I’ll stick with complaining about her bringing too much stuff, and hope she cuts back! I do have a roof bag. But, the RDX does not have roof rails on it, and those suckers are expensive, so I never bothered. I think the X3 and Santa Fe both have side rails. And a little more cargo space. So just about perfect!

• Options