Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    My indie shop doesn’t mind; they don’t stock the oil I use in the Wrangler; the last time I bought six quarts at AZ I also got a free filter so they used that as well. If it’s anything aftermarket-like the Bilstein shocks and Banks exhaust manifold-they just tell me to get them.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,397
    https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3LMPAzqR/2018-bmw-540d-xdrive

I didn’t know any of these 540d models actually made it to sale in the US...
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/3LMPAzqR/2018-bmw-540d-xdrive

I didn’t know any of these 540d models actually made it to sale in the US...

They were only sold for part of one year? I’d want to know why....low demand or were they junk? Also, how would you get parts? I’ve had experience with low volume American cars and finding out they don’t make the part you need is frustrating.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    this is actually a pretty cool vehicle. Seems like Ford did a good job on it. Nice to sit high and have lots of headroom, and being square in the back is very practical. And probably more than enough off road capability for moderate trail use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1q9JfR2Oo

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Am I the only one who thinks it looks like the Nissan xTerra?
  • Options
    yes. B)

Definitely resembles the older style escape though (boxy version).

I guess the rear kick up and roof rails give a bit of an Xterra vibe. It is a lot smaller though.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    makes me think of the freelander

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options

Looks more like a Range Rover to me. Maybe Ford kept some drawings when they sold them off.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268

Side profile looks like a first-gen Escape or Land Rover Freelander or LR2, with a miniature grille from the F-150 or Raptor.
  • Options
    So a dealer near me as one leftover 2019 GTI SE sitting on their lot - with DSG and the SE Experience package (DCC, Fender Audio) plus a bunch of accessories for $10k off MSRP. Never punched, nearly no miles. Sale price is $26k plus TTL - that is less than some used 2019s are going for. Downsides? it is black pearl (I prefer white or blue) and I was still strongly considering a manual...

Thoughts?
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,401

So a dealer near me as one leftover 2019 GTI SE sitting on their lot - with DSG and the SE Experience package (DCC, Fender Audio) plus a bunch of accessories for $10k off MSRP. Never punched, nearly no miles. Sale price is $26k plus TTL - that is less than some used 2019s are going for. Downsides? it is black pearl (I prefer white or blue) and I was still strongly considering a manual...

Thoughts?

If it's the wrong color and transmission, why are you interested?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    The transmission conversation is not a done deal with my wife - she has in theory signed off, but I'm not sure when push comes to shove if she will actually be OK with two manual trans cars in the house that she can't drive.

I'm generally pretty flexible on colors - just preference.
  • Options
    I have even learned the hard way not to buy a deal if it is not a car you really want to own!

but in abstract, yes, sounds like a great deal since you still get the full 6 years of warranty. If I was actively shopping now it would tempt me. If I decided I wanted an automatic, and could live with black over black. And that color combo would be a tough sell. The DSG, I can go either way. I figure if I get the DSG, it would be fine and I would like it, so probably not really regret going that way. But a chance that I could get tired of the stick for some reason (mostly if I physically fall apart, or more likely, need to share the car with someone else in the family!)

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I don’t know - maybe it’s my short-term commitment view of car ownership, but I wouldn’t get too hung up on the color, unless it’s one you just hate.

Like everything else, I generally will obsess over color choices, but when a nice used example comes up (or in your case, a leftover new one), where you have few choices, color becomes less important.

As for the DSG, since you have a manual in the fleet already, that also could be something to give.

What does your gut tell you?

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    My head says I want a manual, my gut says I will pay dearly for having two manuals in the house...
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422

My head says I want a manual, my gut says I will pay dearly for having two manuals in the house...

Seems like a great deal. Are you sure the warranty starts from day of purchase?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Notice I didn't say anything about the manual... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited December 2020
    It is showing as new with 15 miles on it. I'd confirm with dealer before starting anything; not that I've ever held a vehicle for anywhere close to 6 years....

I texted my Dad for his input re: two manual cars, since he has fought this battle before. His response was "do as I say, not as I do"
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,935
    My wife doesn’t say much in the car department but having one she couldn’t drive would probably tick her off.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990
    My wife would steal the GTI from me. She loves manual transmissions and she loves the GTI. Sounds like a great deal on that 19. They sell used ones for that!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    edited December 2020

It is showing as new with 15 miles on it. I'd confirm with dealer before starting anything; not that I've ever held a vehicle for anywhere close to 6 years....

I texted my Dad for his input re: two manual cars, since he has fought this battle before. His response was "do as I say, not as I do"

In the interest of matrimonial harmony, I would definitely go with the DSG. Black looks great on the GTI, as it does on most anything. My problem with black (and I’ve had a few) is that it stays clean for about 5 minutes and any slight scratch sticks out like a sore thumb.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    Black is tough to deal with, but so nice when clean!

• Options
    ah, the old 2 manuals plan. I did that shortly after we got married. I already had one of course, and when we went to buy a new car (because, why not?) to replace her Horizon (not that old, probably was a waste of money, but again, what else is new?) we picked a Mazda 323. So of course, I managed to talk her into getting the 5 speed. which meant I had to teach her how to drive a manual real quick or she would be totally stuck. It was interesting (in a nearly got divorced over it way) but she figured it out, and we were a manual only family for about 10 years. She was OK at it, and didn't really complain, but was more than fine going to an AT when we got the first minivan. She rarely drove my cars after that, but in a pinch, can still do it.

so I can get away with the manual since she would almost never be driving my car anyway (heck, these days, she rarely drives hers). And if I had to take hers for some reason, she would still be able to get around if needed.

so in this case, it really is up to me, without having to worry about her thoughts on it.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Black is tough to deal with, but so nice when clean!

I am not that concerned about the cleaning aspect (my cars do live in the garage). I just rarely care for the way cars look in black, and some (I put the GTI in this category) I think really don't look good. But it is better with a lighter interior.

My son's G70 is black over black with black wheels. It has all the pizazz of a funeral.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990
    Once you learn how to drive a manual you don't forget how. You may be a little rusty at first but it comes back to you quickly.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Black over black is a total dealbreaker for me. If anyone remembers I turned down a killer deal on an black/black S60 loaner. I just couldn’t do it.

I’m a sucker for a white car as I now have 2. My Mom’s RAV is white too. The new neighbors must just laugh.

Finally this weekend I got the XC into the garage. So nice having both in there now. All the houses in my development have two car garages. I would say less than 25% appear to park their cars inside.

On a side note... what does everyone use to mark the proper spot to park? The ceiling in the garage is too tall (my ladder won’t reach) so can’t do the tennis ball on a string thing. I marked a spot on the wall to line up with the mirror for now.

Because of my workbench and the steps on the other side you have to be pretty precise pulling in. The S60 I just wait for the front sensors to beep and I’m golden. The XC doesn’t have front parking sensors.

• Options
    Our neighborhood has a few models with 4 car garages (we almost bought one before we happened upon our ranch style home). We would have absolutely utilized all four spaces for cars (a tinge of regret there). But we'd be in the minority.

Two of those models nearby consistently have 3 cars parked in their driveway, with the garages filled with other stuff. What a waste - get organized people!

• Options
    sda said:

Once you learn how to drive a manual you don't forget how. You may be a little rusty at first but it comes back to you quickly.

I’m ashamed to admit here, but I’m a terrible manual driver. I’ve never owned one. I have done it on a number of occasions on other people’s cars but it certainly isn’t pretty.

• Options
    coldinohiocoldinohio Member Posts: 170
    i use old weather tech floor protectors from prior cars
    tjc78 said:

Black over black is a total dealbreaker for me. If anyone remembers I turned down a killer deal on an black/black S60 loaner. I just couldn’t do it.

On a side note... what does everyone use to mark the proper spot to park? The ceiling in the garage is too tall (my ladder won’t reach) so can’t do the tennis ball on a string thing. I marked a spot on the wall to line up with the mirror for now.

Because of my workbench and the steps on the other side you have to be pretty precise pulling in. The S60 I just wait for the front sensors to beep and I’m golden. The XC doesn’t have front parking sensors.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

No front parking sensors on the XC? My V90 was the same way! Does it have the "fake" sensors in front without the actual hardware behind it?

I was so annoyed - I actually asked the salesperson before I leased it if it had front parking sensors, and he said it did. I realized it didn't have them the first time I was waiting for the beep to begin as I pulled into the garage - good thing I trusted my own eyes before I ran into the dog kennel!

For such a large car and Volvo's commitment to safety features, I was just shocked they weren't standard.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    edited December 2020

Thoughts?

Not all of us think of this as a Downside ;)

$10K off sticker with a 6 year warranty? Even if you keep it a year, you probably wouldn't loose much.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800

The transmission conversation is not a done deal with my wife - she has in theory signed off, but I'm not sure when push comes to shove if she will actually be OK with two manual trans cars in the house that she can't drive.

I'm generally pretty flexible on colors - just preference.

Easy solution on that.... she just needs to learn to drive the manual!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Dropped off the Tacoma, today. Dang it! Had 3/4 of a tank!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    kyfdx said:

How much did it have when you took delivery? :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

It isn't a well done lease return if it doesn't run out of gas as you park it on the dealer's lot.
  • Options
    breld said:

tjc78 said:

No front parking sensors on the XC? My V90 was the same way! Does it have the "fake" sensors in front without the actual hardware behind it?

I was so annoyed - I actually asked the salesperson before I leased it if it had front parking sensors, and he said it did. I realized it didn't have them the first time I was waiting for the beep to begin as I pulled into the garage - good thing I trusted my own eyes before I ran into the dog kennel!

For such a large car and Volvo's commitment to safety features, I was just shocked they weren't standard.
    Yep! I made the assumption too. The car has ACC so I’m sure they are active for that. They just don’t activate that software unless you pay for the option. Probably standard on Inscription trim which my S60 is.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    I have a piece of 2x4 on the garage floor, along with a piece of tape to relocate it if moved, that I use to park one of the cars.

I leased one car, 2 years/15k per. Brought it back with 29.998 miles on it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    tjc78 said:

I’m a sucker for a white car as I now have 2. My Mom’s RAV is white too. The new neighbors must just laugh.

Finally this weekend I got the XC into the garage. So nice having both in there now. All the houses in my development have two car garages. I would say less than 25% appear to park their cars inside.

I’ve done the paint dot on the wall at the mirror in the past.

RE: white cars...I think the LC is my 5th so obviously I like it. It does get boring after while. My favorite was the F30 335i that was white over coral red interior. Good looking car that had a heck of an engine and transmission in search of a good chassis.

RE: garages...A pet peeve of mine! Garage use is about 50/50 in the current neighborhood but was 25% or less in the old one. When you see the garages open, its is full of crap that could go to the dump or be donated or simply organized better with $100 worth of shelves and bins. I love having ours in the garage. They stay cleaner, protects them long term (as if a CCBA’er has to worry) and you don’t have to be as diligent about leaving purses or computer bags in the car.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Apple CarPlay disappeared from my Supra earlier this week for a few days. I tried several times to re-pair the phone with no success. I discovered via an online search that a BMW over-the-air software update erroneously took it away for most owners. This morning, it was back up and running.

Just thought I'd share that Tesla isn't the only one making intrusive updates automatically to their vehicles! :)

• Options
    parking, easiest to me is a marker on the wall even with where your head should be. Some people use a stop on the floor, but I would probably trip over that. Or of course, get shorter cars.

I usually am conservative so if anything my issues is not being clear of the garage door, so if not sure, I just quick put the car in reverse and use the camera to confirm.

• Options

Thoughts?

Which interior? Is it plaid?
    As long as the interior is right, the exterior color is low on my list of priorities (normally), unless a special car or a downright awful color.

I plugged it into Carvana and it spit back $21,675. So still a hefty hit when you drive it off the lot.

That said, Carvana is not always on the ball lately. A bunch went through NJ auction about 6 weeks back that seem to have been all "new." Not sure what happened. Maybe a dealer that went belly up. But you can see the prices they got, which is right in line with what your dealer is asking.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    I had a bundle of roof shingles left over so I use that as a parking stop on the floor.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Very helpful intel - thanks Q! I wonder if Carvana is trying to compensate for overbuying on inventory. The interior of this is black leather - the only choice if you want Fender audio and DCC, which I do.

The cars you posted, I think, are the ones I've seen for sale in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic.
  • Options
    ew. Black leather. Ugh. Well, at least you are in a more temperate climate.

• Options
    I did not mind the black interior on my TLX, but that was cloth (well, maybe Alcantara? In any case, something cooler). Black leather, that is not something I want again. Would have to be a heck of a deal on a special car!

• Options
    Carvana might not want to pay for new ones, but they aren't shy about asking price on the ones they have.

no SEs, but even an S is what the new SE is going for, and an Autobahn a lot more.

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1603590

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1582002

• Options
    tjc78 said:

You could use the Boston driving method....just keep moving until you hear the sound of breaking glass.😓

Interesting that you say your garage is too tall for a ladder to reach the ceiling. I’d be measuring for some of that lift storage like Hoovie has in his garage. I’m jealous. I just hang a fishing float off the overhead light.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

sda said:

I’m ashamed to admit here, but I’m a terrible manual driver. I’ve never owned one. I have done it on a number of occasions on other people’s cars but it certainly isn’t pretty.
    I can drive a manual truck pretty good but I’m so used to a heavy clutch it’s tough for me to switch to a light clutch short throw shifter. I suppose I could get the hang of it but I doubt I’d ever be a boi racer.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    VW Bug's were great for learning how to drive a manual. Not a lot of power.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

This was a lease, right? How many miles were left? That’s what I would be worried about. I’d be driving in circles around the dealer until I used up both.