Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    stickguy said:

Different story. But years ago I was playing with EBay motors and put in a lowball bid on a Volvo in Florida. Then 3 days later, minutes left in the auction, I was still winning and dodging emails from the seller. Someone swooped in late and bid to get me off the hook. Though as I recall, it was a good deal. Just sight unseen 1,200 miles away. Didn’t really want to explain that to the boss.

Point is, don’t make an offer if you don’t want them to accept it.

That's what happened with my 2002- except that I won. My wife was a good sport about it- she liked driving it and it ended up being my son's first car.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,935

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990
    tjc78 said:
    Wow, that’s nice, it even has a moonroof. I’m not a fan of the carriage top, prefer the standard padded half vinyl top. Could you get one without a vinyl top, i.e. painted top?

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    edited December 2020
    The white leather over the grey carpet is very rare. You couldn’t get a slick top Town Car until 1990.

It’s a seriously nice example. Fully loaded too, even has the early auto-dim mirror.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    Yes, the carriage top is hideous. A regular vinyl roof would suit it better.

I have never seen a white interior like that in one of those before. Very nice, although is the glove box door supposed to look like that? It appears to be warped or partly melted.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    edited December 2020
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679
    tjc78 said:
    What was the owner doing with it for the last 32 years, sitting in his driveway and going Vroom, Varoom?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    @qbrozen - any update on the Mercedes?

@graphicguy - any good news with your vision?
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,401
    breld said:

Clearly thought I was done for the year, but I’ve had a hankering for an EV experience and thought this was a crazy cheap way to do it...

2020 Leaf SV with tech and all weather packages. MSRP of $39,070. Nothing due at signing, $91/month ($98 with tax) for 24 months, 10k miles.

Not the Plus model, but for my purposes, 150 mile range should be fine, especially for that price.

.25% of MSRP is about the cheapest lease I've ever seen posted on these forums.

Congrats!

Need a pic and time to update your signature line - again. We'll have to figure out a keyboard shortcut for you.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    breld said:

Clearly thought I was done for the year, but I’ve had a hankering for an EV experience and thought this was a crazy cheap way to do it...

2020 Leaf SV with tech and all weather packages. MSRP of $39,070. Nothing due at signing, $91/month ($98 with tax) for 24 months, 10k miles.

Not the Plus model, but for my purposes, 150 mile range should be fine, especially for that price.

congrats. I never got around to trying for the super cheap Bolt lease a month or so back, but this leaf one might be too hard to pass up. Though I still don't need it. Maybe in the spring they will still be out there!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    stickguy said:

breld said:

congrats. I never got around to trying for the super cheap Bolt lease a month or so back, but this leaf one might be too hard to pass up. Though I still don't need it. Maybe in the spring they will still be out there!
    Incentives are pretty nuts - and Nissan will also give you the Colorado state credit upfront, which is $2,000 on a lease.

And money rate is virtually zero - that rent charge for the entire 24 months is $32 on the contract.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    so basically just loaning you the car for a couple of years to get them off the lot? Can't rent a car for $25/month.

That would be an absolute ideal 2nd car for us. I would probably have to plug it in once a week, even with that range.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,268
    Congrats, breld! That's your 7th punch in 2020.
  • Options
    impressive any year, but doubly so in a pandemic!

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,397
    Wow! Very nice!
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    Without leasing, the supply of nice late model used cars would be greatly diminished (and maker profits would probably fall - which would be passed on to the buyer). Leasing is a godsend for used buyers.

Still amuses me what Nissan did to the Pathfinder name, almost as bad as what Mitsubishi did to the Eclipse name.

And congrats to breld on that giveaway lease - that's when those cars make sense. Can't imagine laying down 40 grand on one.

Michaell said:

At the moment, I'm not optimistic. Gonna be an angry bunch of off-road bros if there are issues.

Well, having: 1) taken a '04 Pathfinder over several serious 4WD trails in AZ and CO & 2) noting that nearly all of the shiny well-polished SUVs where I live have never been off the pavement, the term poseur comes to mind. The "off-road bros" are a distinct minority, but that's the deal, isn't it -- all show and no go.

This harkens back to the "I Hade SUVs, Why Don't You?" or some such on here that was a place where these sorts of discussions went on and on . . . and on . . . and on.

I'm a big fan of people buying (oh wait, leasing, mostly) vehicles to use them for their intended purpose.

Imagine.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,176
    I like the interior, including digital dash. Not a fan of the top or wheels. Was something like that maybe in the low 30s new? Great investment!
    tjc78 said:
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    breld said:

Did you get it? Or just researching yet?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    mentioned to the wife while out driving around before what my latest scheme pipe dream great idea is for the spring. Get some vintage mini cooper with a stick. She, didn't say not or give me "that look". Though likely because she has her car now, so doesn't really care what I do as long as I don't drag her into it!

Seems logical. Small, fun to drive, reasonably economical, roomy and comfortable enough.

on the short list along with a GTI.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

Did you get it? Or just researching yet?
    He got it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    In our house, we can't make decisions about what to have for dinner that fast.

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    @qbrozen - PM sent
  • Options
    Soooo where does one park the EV? Do you have an L2 charger at home or just going to use the wall plug?
  • Options

OF, we usually go from Vero Beach south to Key West and as far west as Okeechobee City which is on the big lake. But a few weeks ago, we did go up to Sebastian to pick up a few vehicles. Yesterday, we went up to West Palm to pick up some sold vehicles. Then we had to drive them to South Miami near Coral Gables. Then it was back up to West Palm and then down to Boca Raton. Clocked in at our home base in Coconut Creek at 7:45 and finished the day at 5:30. Was a bit tired but wasn't a bad drive actually. Drove a Nissan Rogue down to Miami and it drove surprisingly well, think it had the second generation CVT tranny which shift without issue. Later, got to take a VW Atlas to Boca and really enjoyed it. A bit too large for my tastes, but the seats were comfortable and it drove nicely. I usually test out the back seats in anything I haven't driven before just to see how folks would fit. Was a bit thirsty to but it might have had a 6 cylinder under the hood. But it looked great with a dark gray over black set-up and a luggage rack up top. VW did a good job on these!

I’d love to take that drive out to Key West. I only did the Key West to Miami airport once back in 2004. What scenery.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Thanks guys.

@jpp75 and I (@michaell was busy with work) went yesterday to take a casual look at the Leaf - I was more interested in how cheap you could purchase a “Plus” model with rebates and incentives. I was mildly annoyed when the salesperson pulled up the normal range model, but a nicely equipped SV w/Tech example.

When he said that exact one could be leased for $99/month (plus tax) with nothing down, my interest went quickly from casual to serious.

So I did a little comparison shopping today and decided I also wanted the all weather package (heated seats and steering wheel) and would be just fine with 10k miles/year (or in my terms...20k miles for the several months I’ll drive it 😀). So with those additional options and 10k miles, I was able to get them to the $91/month ($98 with tax).

It’s no Tesla, but it’s certainly the full on EV experience with quick acceleration, quiet operation and one-pedal driving.

And it’s no bargain basement model for the cheap lease - power driver’s seat, leather wrapped steering wheel, heated seats, heated steering wheel, Nissan’s ProPilot system, all the safety nannies.

More than enough to satisfy the EV itch for now at an insanely cheap rate until more interesting options are available.

• Options
    considering you could park it for 2 years and give it back, and only have $2,400 into it, probably the cheapest car you will every own for that length of time.

• Options
    cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,506
    stickguy said:

considering you could park it for 2 years and give it back, and only have $2,400 into it, probably the cheapest car you will every own ever drive for that length of time.

There, I've fixed it.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • Options

Soooo where does one park the EV? Do you have an L2 charger at home or just going to use the wall plug?

It’ll reside in our driveway as the garage spaces are spoken for. Right now, I’m using the wall plug in the garage and an extension cord for the included cable. I already have the wire run from the breaker box to the garage, so I’ll probably have an electrician install a 240v outlet that I can plug the cable into for L2 charging (the tech package came with an L2 cable).

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    breld said:

Yay......Big Congrats. I’ve stuck a couple of toes in the EV test drive waters, but never dove in. Call me “EV curious”.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    edited December 2020

Congrats @breld
  • Options

breld said:

Yay......Big Congrats. I’ve stuck a couple of toes in the EV test drive waters, but never dove in. Call me “EV curious”.
    The i3 we had for a short while really piqued our interest in EVs, but with our driving habits at that time, the range was severely limiting.

I only dove in on this one due to the cheap deal. I like the range (and styling truth be told) of the Bolt better. I understand the Hyundai and Kia offerings are real nice, but they are scarce here in CO. And of course something like a Tesla, eTron or iPace at their cost would be more of a replacement as a primary car, and at this point they don’t interest me enough to do so.

Having said that, obviously can’t beat the Leaf for the deals they’re offering. And if you wanted to get over 200 miles of range, the Plus models would still be well under $200/month.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    breld said:

breld said:

The i3 we had for a short while really piqued our interest in EVs, but with our driving habits at that time, the range was severely limiting.

I only dove in on this one due to the cheap deal. I like the range (and styling truth be told) of the Bolt better. I understand the Hyundai and Kia offerings are real nice, but they are scarce here in CO. And of course something like a Tesla, eTron or iPace at their cost would be more of a replacement as a primary car, and at this point they don’t interest me enough to do so.

Having said that, obviously can’t beat the Leaf for the deals they’re offering. And if you wanted to get over 200 miles of range, the Plus models would still be well under $200/month.
    The styling of the Leaf isn’t for me (I know, I know, I drive an i3) but the value proposition is unbeatable for sure. Perfect first car for a young driver IMO. My biggest issue with a lot of the traditional first driver cars is that they barely are fast enough to get out of their own way in automatic form - an EV mitigates that with a lot of immediate power on tap without getting into trouble. Plus all the modern safety stuff.

My interest is piqued in eTron and a couple others for when the Outback lease is up. But the reality is, we will probably end up with another Outback.
  • Options
    We’ve had a string of 3-4 beautiful but chilly days here so I’ve been driving the ZHP. It’s just so much fun - a truly perfect DD if I were willing to sacrifice it in such a way.

One thing that I found a little surprising. I recently did an oil change myself and put in LiquiMoly 5W-40 along with some of their Motor Oil Saver additive. After putting about 500 miles on the car, it seems to be idling even smoother than before and the torque delivery seems to be a bit more linear.

So it begs the question: am I just making this up or is that additive actually helping rejuvenate the seals and improve compression?
  • Options
    Oh I would've preferred another i3 - in fact, on the way to the dealer I saw a new one on the road and started looking at how much a 2017 or 2018 one would be. Easily under $20k, but even at that the monthly nut would be much more than the Leaf lease, and I also imagine the further depreciation on the used i3 would be greater than the "fixed" depreciation on the Leaf. And to be fair, still a little less EV range.

And the styling of the Leaf doesn't do anything for me either - at best I find it inoffensive, which again, is fine at its price point. My wife would have much rather have had another i3 too.

• Options

breld said:

breld said:

Perfect first car for a young driver IMO. My biggest issue with a lot of the traditional first driver cars is that they barely are fast enough to get out of their own way in automatic form - an EV mitigates that with a lot of immediate power on tap without getting into trouble. Plus all the modern safety stuff.
    And that's another reason for my interest in the Leaf. My youngest son gets his license in April - I initially thought it could be a perfect inexpensive car for him, but his mom (my ex) doesn't seem too keen on it. She would like him to inherit the old MDX his older brother is currently driving, and we'll get a new car for him when he graduates in the spring. But the Leaf can at least be an extra car for the youngest to drive in the meantime.

• Options
    breld said:

It's just a white Leaf. But what's a punch without pics?

Can’t ever miss the requisite new car pics and seeing how many of your cars have temp plates!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422

We’ve had a string of 3-4 beautiful but chilly days here so I’ve been driving the ZHP. It’s just so much fun - a truly perfect DD if I were willing to sacrifice it in such a way.

One thing that I found a little surprising. I recently did an oil change myself and put in LiquiMoly 5W-40 along with some of their Motor Oil Saver additive. After putting about 500 miles on the car, it seems to be idling even smoother than before and the torque delivery seems to be a bit more linear.

So it begs the question: am I just making this up or is that additive actually helping rejuvenate the seals and improve compression?

Doesn't the manual call for 5W/30?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Yes. But lots on the enthusiast boards recommended this and it still meets the BMW LL01 standard.
  • Options
    that is not bad looking. I like the interior. Really would be perfect spare car for my needs. When I actually need one again. Maybe in April they will still have killer deals on them.

• Options
    Great deal on the Leaf. Congrats!

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,329
    Congrats breld,
    Leaf looks good and pretty normal looking for an electric car.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Probably just sell it the first time it needs a charge.
    At that lease rate he should get two. Keep the second for when the battery is low on the first.

Why would they be leasing a $39k car so cheap?

• Options

Perhaps the previous owner drove too timidly and built up some carbon. Just driving it normally might have cleaned things out. Who knows. I swear my cars run better after an oil change even though it barely has time to get brown during that interval.

• Options

stickguy said:

At that lease rate he should get two. Keep the second for when the battery is low on the first.

a combo of supply to unload, and tax credits most likely. Mainly the tax credits.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,401
    stickguy said:

stickguy said:

a combo of supply to unload, and tax credits most likely. Mainly the tax credits.
    $12,000+ of lease incentives, plus the CO state tax credits added on, and big dealer discounts.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    The two dealerships I dealt with had upwards of 40-50 Leafs on each of their lots.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    breld said:

The two dealerships I dealt with had upwards of 40-50 Leafs on each of their lots.

Wow! Congrats on the punch!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD