Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    kyfdx said:

This made me do a double take

What did, that his tag expired in October?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    breld said:

This work from home situation, combined with a typical slow time anyway gives me too much time on my hands.

This listing just came up today so I went to check it out...

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/832746224/overview/

I actually like the 2018 as it’s the facelifted model and I don’t need the enhancements of the Comp model. And unlike some others (@roadburner 😀) I actually would prefer the moonroof. And of course it’s a manual.

It doesn’t seem to have anything performance-wise over the Supra, but I do like the more upright seating position, the much better visibility and in some ways, the more understated design.

And...manual.

Will I do anything about it? Probably not. At least wait until next year, cause you know, the count starts over. 😀

You should for it. Then trade for a V60 Polestar in Jan because... AWD. And then trade that for a Civic R around April or May because... who needs AWD in spring?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280

kyfdx said:

RS6 and TDI do not go together
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    I like that M2. Though would be much better with a brown interior.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    stickguy said:

I like that M2. Though would be much better with a brown interior exterior and if it were diesel, AWD, and a wagon.

FTFY. :p
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    45 minute drive home from the dealer provided some additional clarity...

Definitely a few things I like more about the M2, but also many things I prefer on the Supra. The only real motivating reason would be that I just have to have a manual. And the reality is, as hard as it is to admit, don’t think I “have to have” the manual. Not that I wouldn’t consider it down the road, but just not a motivating enough reason right now.

Some cars I simply wouldn’t consider in an automatic...Miata is the most obvious one IMO. WRX. Civic Si or Type R (at least when they inevitably offer one). Mustang GT.

But the Supra has opened my eyes a bit to having fun in a car without necessarily having to shift your own gears.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    breld said:

But the Supra has opened my eyes a bit to having fun in a car without necessarily having to shift your own gears.

The ZF 8HP is a brilliant piece of engineering. The thing that continues to impress me about my 2er is how the Sport, Sport+ and Sport transmission modes actually do transform the personality of the car.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    I think there must be something to genetics. I get texts nearly every day from my son with links to cars that caught his eye for next year when his lease runs out (recent options include the Mach E, M340i, and an S4). Now my daughter is saying how nice the Volvo XC40 is and how she really wants one some day (we set it as a "promoted to VP" goal). I do like those too. Great interior, drive nice, very practical package in a compact size.

• Options
    here's a real OF special. Look at those low miles! https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9QVj0Ywx/1996-buick-regal-sedan

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    HA HA, someone wanted know if the car can be shipped to Ghana. :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389

Years ago a friend burned his BMW dealer on the east coast. The inspection chart in the OM stated that tire pressures should be checked including the spare. My friend overinflated two tires, under inflated two tires, and let all the air out of the spare. When he picked up the car he asked the service manager about the tires and the guy said all the tires were checked. My friend then showed him the tire pressures and the flat spare.

And again, from the buying experience to service, dealers wonder why people can’t stand them. Mine have been mostly good. I’ve gotten the hard sell on ‘needed’ items like fuel injector cleaning :smile:

Now recently, I took the LC to the dealer for an oil change and lube of the driveshaft. They came back with 1800 in recommended maintenance. Most of which was plugs (900) which I had already done somewhere else for much, much cheaper. They just go by the book and mileage without checking/thinking. I can kinda get not wanting to pull a plug and see the condition but they also recommended wipers (done and real easy to check that) multiple other fluids (again most easy to check and see that they are clean). Doesn’t start the relationship off well with the dealer.

RE: Tire rotations. I had a Beretta in college and took it to Firestone for an oil change and rotation. Time to pay, its pulled around and the front disc/rear drum set up leaves no doubt that due to the brake dust, the tires had not been rotated. Pointed this out and they tried to tell me that they actually take the tires off to rotate them. Umm no.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    stickguy said:

I think there must be something to genetics. I get texts nearly every day from my son with links to cars that caught his eye for next year when his lease runs out (recent options include the Mach E, M340i, and an S4). Now my daughter is saying how nice the Volvo XC40 is and how she really wants one some day (we set it as a "promoted to VP" goal). I do like those too. Great interior, drive nice, very practical package in a compact size.

When my Mom’s RAV goes back I was thinking of having her look at an XC40. Not sure how they lease, but worth a shot.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    @au1994,
    Have to admit, that was a creative answer.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    au1994 said:

And again, from the buying experience to service, dealers wonder why people can’t stand them. Mine have been mostly good. I’ve gotten the hard sell on ‘needed’ items like fuel injector cleaning :smile:

Now recently, I took the LC to the dealer for an oil change and lube of the driveshaft. They came back with 1800 in recommended maintenance. Most of which was plugs (900) which I had already done somewhere else for much, much cheaper. They just go by the book and mileage without checking/thinking. I can kinda get not wanting to pull a plug and see the condition but they also recommended wipers (done and real easy to check that) multiple other fluids (again most easy to check and see that they are clean). Doesn’t start the relationship off well with the dealer.

My Cadillac dealer is much the same. The sales guy I dealt with was one I disliked so much by the end that I swore to myself I would never buy anything through him again. As for the service dept., I truly do like the service advisor I'm assigned to. She has gone to bat for me over things that others there were being stubborn about. But she, like all the others there, is first and foremost about upselling their overpriced "recommended" services, the prime one being brake caliper lubrication, closely followed by alignments. Drives me batty.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

@au1994,
    Have to admit, that was a creative answer.

Guess they thought I was just a stupid college student who didn’t know anything about cars. They were half right :smile:

• Options
    ab348 said:

au1994 said:

My Cadillac dealer is much the same. The sales guy I dealt with was one I disliked so much by the end that I swore to myself I would never buy anything through him again. As for the service dept., I truly do like the service advisor I'm assigned to. She has gone to bat for me over things that others there were being stubborn about. But she, like all the others there, is first and foremost about upselling their overpriced "recommended" services, the prime one being brake caliper lubrication, closely followed by alignments. Drives me batty.
    Brake caliper lubrication? That’s a new one on me as ongoing maintenance.

• Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

kyfdx said:

RS6 and TDI do not go together
    Oh ok, I thought that was odd but I didn’t want to embarrass myself with my lack of knowledge of high end cars.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited December 2020
    breld said:

Definitely a few things I like more about the M2, but also many things I prefer on the Supra. The only real motivating reason would be that I just have to have a manual. And the reality is, as hard as it is to admit, don’t think I “have to have” the manual. Not that I wouldn’t consider it down the road, but just not a motivating enough reason right now.

Some cars I simply wouldn’t consider in an automatic...Miata is the most obvious one IMO. WRX. Civic Si or Type R (at least when they inevitably offer one). Mustang GT.

May I humbly suggest, on the Mustang 3:73 rear end, put it in sport mode and use the paddle shifters? Even with the wrong rear gears that combo is enough to scare me.

• Options
    stickguy said:

here's a real OF special. Look at those low miles! https://carsandbids.com/auctions/9QVj0Ywx/1996-buick-regal-sedan

I would LOVE that car! I actually like that old 90s style. But I thought it was already sold?

https://youtu.be/9LsfCEK30EQ

• Options
    au1994 said:

Years ago a friend burned his BMW dealer on the east coast. The inspection chart in the OM stated that tire pressures should be checked including the spare. My friend overinflated two tires, under inflated two tires, and let all the air out of the spare. When he picked up the car he asked the service manager about the tires and the guy said all the tires were checked. My friend then showed him the tire pressures and the flat spare.

RE: Tire rotations. I had a Beretta in college and took it to Firestone for an oil change and rotation. Time to pay, its pulled around and the front disc/rear drum set up leaves no doubt that due to the brake dust, the tires had not been rotated. Pointed this out and they tried to tell me that they actually take the tires off to rotate them. Umm no.
    I took my old PT to Firestone for a flat and they pointed out worn bushings. Price $1000. I declined and took it to my guy who confirmed I need bushings. Cost: $500.

• Options
    au1994 said:

This goes back to the GM W-bodies of the late '90s/ up to the last generation of the W-body Impala of 2014. Those cars had 4-wheel disc brakes and the rear brakes in particular developed a problem where the action of the calipers would be impaired due to corrosion on the slider pins or caliper bolts. A recommended maintenance task on those therefore became removing them periodically to give them a light application of grease. Whether other rear disc setups beyond the W-bodies have the same issue I do not know. But my dealer pushes it constantly.

• Options
    au1994 said:

ab348 said:

au1994 said:

that actually should be legitimate. Especially if you are in an area with snow, so salt and corrosion. The Car Wizard just did a video on that (I think on the RAV4 he bought that had brake issues). I think it was the pins corroding so they would not slide, so you got what felt like air in the system. Not sure how often it should get done, but definitely any time you have brakes worked on. Also not sure if it is something easy to just squirt lube fluid onto, or if you have to disassemble everything to do it.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

When my Mom’s RAV goes back I was thinking of having her look at an XC40. Not sure how they lease, but worth a shot.
    I never looked seriously, but last time I checked, not all that well. But, at the moment it seems there are a lot in the service loaner fleet, so could work out a good deal that way. In some ways, I actually liked it better than the XC60. Smaller, and better visibility I think. I would be happy with one.

• Options

breld said:

May I humbly suggest, on the Mustang 3:73 rear end, put it in sport mode and use the paddle shifters? Even with the wrong rear gears that combo is enough to scare me.
    Oh, no judgment from me on an auto on the Mustang - didn’t even realize that’s what you had. No surprise that it’s a beast with either trannie.

• Options
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

stickguy said:

I never looked seriously, but last time I checked, not all that well. But, at the moment it seems there are a lot in the service loaner fleet, so could work out a good deal that way. In some ways, I actually liked it better than the XC60. Smaller, and better visibility I think. I would be happy with one.
    It’s a nice little ride. My mom would love it for it sure. She rode in our XC90 for the first time Saturday night and raved about it. Way too big for her, heck even the RAV is probably overkill. She does cart my kids around sometimes so the extra space is nice.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    East Coast Classics is a good YT channel, shows how neglected some of the surplus auction material can be, but a bargain slips through now and then.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

au1994 said:

ab348 said:

au1994 said:

that actually should be legitimate. Especially if you are in an area with snow, so salt and corrosion. The Car Wizard just did a video on that (I think on the RAV4 he bought that had brake issues). I think it was the pins corroding so they would not slide, so you got what felt like air in the system. Not sure how often it should get done, but definitely any time you have brakes worked on. Also not sure if it is something easy to just squirt lube fluid onto, or if you have to disassemble everything to do it.
    I had problems in the old days with brake parts rusting up from years of salt exposure and causing the rotors to warp. I don’t know if back then they routinely lubricated them.

A new one on me was that the drive shaft might also need lube. I saw that on a video from the Wizard or Wheeler Dealers, I can’t remember which.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    nyccarguy said:

Last winter, I think we got snow exactly once. And it wasn't even enough for me to put my Tacoma in 4WD. Last night & today are a different story. All I can say is WOW. I've owned FWD cars with snow tires, AWD cars & SUVs with all season tires, & AWD cars with snow tires. This is my 2nd truck with 4WD (1st was a 1998 Ford Explorer Sport - the 2 door). The snow here this AM was deep, heavy, & packed. There is nothing like a 4WD truck with the center differential that locks and splits the torque 50/50 between the front and rear wheels. Yes I took my time and don't drive like an over confident lunatic. My Tacoma did exactly what it was designed to do today.

We got clobbered too. Probably 18”. I just came in from shoveling out the Soul including shoveling out by the street TWO TIMES! My plow guy came about 3 am and it filled back in another 6 inches by morning. I shoveled out once, turned around and the town plow came barreling down and pitched hard crusty muck 30 feet back in my driveway.

I swear I heard him laughing as he drove away.☹️☹️☹️

• Options

I shoveled out once, turned around and the town plow came barreling down and pitched hard crusty muck 30 feet back in my driveway.

I swear I heard him laughing as he drove away.☹️☹️☹️

Snowplow drivers have so few rewards, don't deny them a bit of entertainment. :laughing:

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Here’s an incompetent dealer story from a few decades ago- I don’t think I ever posted it in this topic:

When I was in law school back in the early '80s I was one of only a few car guys in my class. As a result, I often got called on for advice- and every now and then I would perform minor mechanical repairs and/or upgrades for my classmates(including installing a sound system for a delightfully eccentric young lady who could have passed for Debbie Harry's identical twin sister- but I digress...)

Anyway, one of my friends had a Mustang II(so did my girlfriend at the time; that particular model motivated me to study very hard- so that I would land a job that ensured I would never have to own or drive one ever again...) So one day my friend tells me that the car is stalling after it has been driven for 10-20 minutes. After 30 minutes or so it would fire up, run another 10-20 minutes and stall again. I tell him it could be anything from a ignition module that fails hot to a fuel system issue. I suggest taking it to a dealer or indie shop.

So... he takes it to his nearest Ford dealer. They change the fuel filter and "blow out the fuel lines." I told him that I hoped it worked, but that my guess was that whatever clogged the lines was still in the tank.

Two days later, the trusty steed stalls again. Back to the dealer it goes. This time they again blow out the lines and "install new EGR valve." I thought that call was a little sketchy, so I looked under the hood and found an EGR valve that looked like it had been on the car since it was new(Ford V8s of that vintage had an EGR valve assembly that was sandwiched between the carb and the intake manifold- I had dealt with them while doing my time in DIY mechanic purgatory servicing my parents' 1973 Bronco and 1974 Maverick). At this point I'm thinking the next thing they should do is drop the tank and clean it out.

Anyone care to guess what happened next? This time I decide to go back to the dealer with my friend; I tell him to ask to speak to the Service Manager and to politely explain that the car had stalled again and to ask why a new EGR valve was installed(As for me, I was going to act as if I was just the guy who was giving him a ride- I really wanted to hear what the guy would say.) Anyways... when we go back to the dealer the SM comes out and apologizes for the problem. He pops the hood and pokes around the air cleaner and intake manifold for a minute and then announces, "I'm sorry for the mistake- this car doesn't even have an EGR valve. I think what we need to do is drop the gas tank and clean it out." At this point I've decided that any landing you walk away from is a good one- if the SM wants to take the EGR valve off the bill because he thinks the car doesn't have one I'm not going to get in his way. Sometimes a failure cascade works to your advantage.

And yes, the car ran fine after the tank was cleaned. My girlfriend and I parted amicably- but not before I talked her into ditching the Mustang II for a new Accord coupe. My buddy and I both passed the Bar, thereby relegating future Mustang II ownership to the ash heap of history. And I also met my future wife, who permanently endeared herself to me by locating my first BMW: a 1973 Bavaria 3.0. Talk about living HAPPILY ever after...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Went back out for another hour and things are in good shape now. Wife is cleaning off the deck. Will have to go back out again after the plow does the 'beauty run'. :s
  • Options
    fintail said:

East Coast Classics is a good YT channel, shows how neglected some of the surplus auction material can be, but a bargain slips through now and then.

Anyone see Vice Grip Garage’s 56 Buick Special? Really cool story about him buying his Dad’s car back and the adventure to get it home. Cool picture montage at the end of the car through the years. Worth watching

• Options
    We wound up with just a few inches, but it iced up pretty good, so wife insisted I plow the driveway for the delivery people before it ices worse tonight. Probably a good call.

As for the automatic discussion, as I'm pretty certain I've mentioned before, it just makes sense to me to get the auto these days (as long as it is a good one, such as the ZF or PDK) simply because it makes the car faster in almost all instances. People spend thousands trying to gain a small acceleration advantage, so why inhibit the car from the get-go?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    Where I live I really have no desire to have a manual. Traffic is congested by all the areas I frequent. I’m a little more rural than where I lived prior but still basically shop in the same areas

• Options

Here’s an incompetent dealer story from a few decades ago- I don’t think I ever posted it in this topic:

When I was in law school back in the early '80s I was one of only a few car guys in my class. As a result, I often got called on for advice- and every now and then I would perform minor mechanical repairs and/or upgrades for my classmates(including installing a sound system for a delightfully eccentric young lady who could have passed for Debbie Harry's identical twin sister- but I digress...)

Anyway, one of my friends had a Mustang II(so did my girlfriend at the time; that particular model motivated me to study very hard- so that I would land a job that ensured I would never have to own or drive one ever again...) So one day my friend tells me that the car is stalling after it has been driven for 10-20 minutes. After 30 minutes or so it would fire up, run another 10-20 minutes and stall again. I tell him it could be anything from a ignition module that fails hot to a fuel system issue. I suggest taking it to a dealer or indie shop.

So... he takes it to his nearest Ford dealer. They change the fuel filter and "blow out the fuel lines." I told him that I hoped it worked, but that my guess was that whatever clogged the lines was still in the tank.

Two days later, the trusty steed stalls again. Back to the dealer it goes. This time they again blow out the lines and "install new EGR valve." I thought that call was a little sketchy, so I looked under the hood and found an EGR valve that looked like it had been on the car since it was new(Ford V8s of that vintage had an EGR valve assembly that was sandwiched between the carb and the intake manifold- I had dealt with them while doing my time in DIY mechanic purgatory servicing my parents' 1973 Bronco and 1974 Maverick). At this point I'm thinking the next thing they should do is drop the tank and clean it out.

Anyone care to guess what happened next? This time I decide to go back to the dealer with my friend; I tell him to ask to speak to the Service Manager and to politely explain that the car had stalled again and to ask why a new EGR valve was installed(As for me, I was going to act as if I was just the guy who was giving him a ride- I really wanted to hear what the guy would say.) Anyways... when we go back to the dealer the SM comes out and apologizes for the problem. He pops the hood and pokes around the air cleaner and intake manifold for a minute and then announces, "I'm sorry for the mistake- this car doesn't even have an EGR valve. I think what we need to do is drop the gas tank and clean it out." At this point I've decided that any landing you walk away from is a good one- if the SM wants to take the EGR valve off the bill because he thinks the car doesn't have one I'm not going to get in his way. Sometimes a failure cascade works to your advantage.

And yes, the car ran fine after the tank was cleaned. My girlfriend and I parted amicably- but not before I talked her into ditching the Mustang II for a new Accord coupe. My buddy and I both passed the Bar, thereby relegating future Mustang II ownership to the ash heap of history. And I also met my future wife, who permanently endeared herself to me by locating my first BMW: a 1973 Bavaria 3.0. Talk about living HAPPILY ever after...

And that Mustang II that you got rid of is worth a fortune to collectors today. The end.😂😂🤣

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    I'm nearly set on the GTI DSG if and when my lease transfer completes. I've heard decent things about the new 7spd and given that (1) I'd like to not sleep in said vehicle, and (2) I'll need to commute into Seattle again at some point, it seems the prudent choice.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Looking back on 2020 (and preparing our 2021 budget), it's really hit me how much I overindulged this past year. Lots of moves, but at the end of the day (or year, as it were :) ), my wife went from her Alltrack to her MINI - like for like for the most part. Me? I replaced the very reasonable V90 lease with a really nice Cayenne and the GTI (then 228i) as the fun car to a new Supra (albeit at a great discount). And between moving, the pandemic and kids getting their drivers licenses, the miles I'm driving has been greatly reduced. Pandemic is temporary (it is, right?), but I doubt we're going back to the office 5 days a week ever.

So my current fun research obsession? What could I get to satisfy those car needs/desires at a significantly reduced rate? If you'd like, indulge me with your thoughts.

Utility car - let's say around $35-40k budget:
    • 2018-2019 MDX - a sport hybrid model would be great, but so many more choices out there with the standard V6. At least Tech Package, but Advanced would be preferred.
    • 2019-2020 CX-9
    • 2017-2018 X5 35i or 40e
    • 2017-2018 GLE
    • Or maybe, push that budget just a bit...Mach E (considering $10k of tax incentives here in CO)
    For the fun car, let's stick around $30k'ish:
    • Another Miata RF - 2019 or newer for the increased power.
    • M240i

• Options
    breld said:

Looking back on 2020 (and preparing our 2021 budget), it's really hit me how much I overindulged this past year. Lots of moves, but at the end of the day (or year, as it were :) ), my wife went from her Alltrack to her MINI - like for like for the most part. Me? I replaced the very reasonable V90 lease with a really nice Cayenne and the GTI (then 228i) as the fun car to a new Supra (albeit at a great discount). And between moving, the pandemic and kids getting their drivers licenses, the miles I'm driving has been greatly reduced. Pandemic is temporary (it is, right?), but I doubt we're going back to the office 5 days a week ever.

So my current fun research obsession? What could I get to satisfy those car needs/desires at a significantly reduced rate? If you'd like, indulge me with your thoughts.

• 2018-2019 MDX - a sport hybrid model would be great, but so many more choices out there with the standard V6. At least Tech Package, but Advanced would be preferred.
    • 2019-2020 CX-9
    • 2017-2018 GLE
    • Or maybe, push that budget just a bit...Mach E (considering $10k of tax incentives here in CO)
    • M240i
    And so it begins...

• Options
    au1994 said:

breld said:

• 2019-2020 CX-9
    • 2017-2018 GLE
    • M240i
    And so it begins...
    Well...it never really ends. 😀

I enjoy having some purpose in my searches though - this may not materialize into anything. It’s one thing when I’m unhappy with a car and desire a replacement. It’s another when I’m more curious as to what could be had for less. Sometimes I find something that I really appreciate and sometimes I realize what I have is actually worth the cost.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Do you mind if I ask a question? You can decline to answer but I’m curious with the amount of flipping you do.

Do you throw cash at all these or just rolling financing up / down depending on the deal.

Oh and MDX tech is the minimum, anything else will feel sparsely equipped.

• Options
    breld said:

au1994 said:

breld said:

• 2019-2020 CX-9
    • 2017-2018 GLE
    • M240i
    And so it begins...
    Well...it never really ends. 😀

I enjoy having some purpose in my searches though - this may not materialize into anything. It’s one thing when I’m unhappy with a car and desire a replacement. It’s another when I’m more curious as to what could be had for less. Sometimes I find something that I really appreciate and sometimes I realize what I have is actually worth the cost.
    :smile: Lol, yeah, I know. Ive always got my eye on something and some scheme to redo the fleet, even if it’s just something to fill the idle hours.

Great choices btw. I’m intrigued by the new MDX and the M240i has always been a favorite.

I’ve seen a lot of the new Tahoe/Yukons on the road and man, that thing is nice! Bigger than the previous gen which was already huge. The Tahoe is particularly attractive in Z71 trim.

• Options

breld said:

The ZF 8HP is a brilliant piece of engineering. The thing that continues to impress me about my 2er is how the Sport, Sport+ and Sport transmission modes actually do transform the personality of the car.

Great point and I am in this camp. These modern transmissions are very well matched to their engines in these cars negating the need for a manual for performance sake.

Over on BaT it seems that some take driving an auto as an affront to their manhood resulting in comments like ‘as soon as I got that 10k mile all original 63 Split Window Vette, the first thing I’d do is drop a stick shift in”

• Options
    edited December 2020
    tjc78 said:

Do you mind if I ask a question? You can decline to answer but I’m curious with the amount of flipping you do.

Do you throw cash at all these or just rolling financing up / down depending on the deal.

Oh and MDX tech is the minimum, anything else will feel sparsely equipped.

Because I’m transparent about, well, everything, the fun cars are usually cash, and the others are as you put it - financing up and down. Clearly there are times we throw cash at those to keep them even.

The Supra was an indulgence generously allowed and encouraged by my wife - I have to remind myself that on my next fun car, I should get back to the more affordable level.

The Cayenne is kinda funny - when we discussed the reduced needs we have for a utility vehicle, we agreed we could be in the $35-40k range. Then we looked at the Cayenne and all of a sudden that budget went way up.

• Options
    au1994 said:

breld said:

Great point and I am in this camp. These modern transmissions are very well matched to their engines in these cars negating the need for a manual for performance sake.

Over on BaT it seems that some take driving an auto as an affront to their manhood resulting in comments like ‘as soon as I got that 10k mile all original 63 Split Window Vette, the first thing I’d do is drop a stick shift in”
    Seems most, if not all, of us are evolving in this way (I believe @kyfdx is one of the holdouts 😀) - much of it is due to the severely limited availability of manuals and the rest is due to how good the automatics have become.

One thing is for sure - accepting it sure opens up a lot more possibilities for that fun car.

• Options
    Thanks I figured that’s how you do it.

Do you miss the Volvo wagon at all? IIRC that was pretty loaded with the Bowers stereo.

• Options
    breld said:

• 2019-2020 CX-9
    • 2017-2018 GLE
    • M240i
    I'm not sure I understand. Is the utility to replace the Cayenne? Or are you looking to replace the Supra with 2 vehicles? And is there any reason utility and fun can't come together?

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Thanks I figured that’s how you do it.

Do you miss the Volvo wagon at all? IIRC that was pretty loaded with the Bowers stereo.

Yes, I do miss the V90. I like the way the Cayenne drives better, but I really grew to appreciate the character of the wagon and the Volvo brand itself.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

breld said:

• 2019-2020 CX-9
    • 2017-2018 GLE
    • M240i
    I'm not sure I understand. Is the utility to replace the Cayenne? Or are you looking to replace the Supra with 2 vehicles? And is there any reason utility and fun can't come together?
    So, hypothetically (for now at least), two replacements - cheaper utility vehicle instead of the Cayenne and cheaper fun car in place of the Supra.

And yes, I have thought about the utility and fun coming together...an X3 m40i comes to mind. When I test drove that, I remarked how much it felt like the Supra (to a certain extent of course). What other vehicles would you recommend as an “all-in-one?”

Geez, now you got me thinking...I could open up a garage space for the Leaf.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    au1994 said:

I’ve said this before, but I now prefer manuals in cars that actually need them, such as my Club Sport; its M42 motor doesn’t develop significant power until 4500 rpm, and you have to keep it wound tight to make brisk progress. In contrast, the N55 in my M235i makes maximum torque from off idle to 4500 rpm.