Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    edited December 2020
    xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

Downside to a flat-4 vs inline-4

2 oxygen sensors per side. 4 total.

Had one replaced on Tuesday. Check engine light back on Thursday. Back in shop, today.

Sensors are not cheap.

How many miles on the car again? In my experience, the catalytic converters do tend to need replacing around 160-170,000 miles. I generally replace oxygen sensors around 120,000 miles as preventative maintenance on them, but the dreaded P0420 code is bound to start returning that that more advanced mileage. At that point, there's not much left to do but replace the cats (expensive!).

That said, I have never replaced a Subaru cat, and my highest miled example was my first, at 220,000 miles. Even at those miles, the code was intermittent. However, it was frequent enough that the CEL would not turn off unless I scanned and cleared the codes between events (once every few days).
    How about the lacquer thinner treatment as a last resort? Or is that just a YouTube myth?

At that milage, (220,000k) what have you got to lose?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

sda said:

kyfdx said:

Which car? Isn’t that covered by warranty?

2012 Forester with 126K miles
    It's always a bummer when the car you just bought starts having trouble and shows its behind. Hopefully this will be the only issue it has for a long time.
    I always assume that when you buy a cheaper, well used old car, to expect some immediate maintenance and repairs. Just hopefully nothing too major, and then it will be relatively sorted out.
    Exactly...

Anyway, oxygen sensor on Tuesday was $425.
    A lot of diagnostics and new plugs today was $300.
    Bosch Icon wiper blades $57
    Those are typical wear items you could expect on a car like that. What would irritate me is if the drivetrain developed issues. A smokey motor or a bucking tranny would be much worse.
    Stick shift, so he has that going for him.

The thing is, we could have spent twice this much on a newer car with 60% of the miles, and still had these exact issues. Buying used cars is a crapshoot. And, this is typical stuff.

Plus, he had a budget, and this was the sweet spot.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited December 2020
    xwesx said:

corvette said:

$425 for only one out of four oxygen sensors? That sounds steep, as do the wiper blades, I think they're usually cheaper on Amazon.

Unless they seriously changed things, the Forester only has two oxygen sensors. The exhaust routing merges fairly soon after the gas exists the engine - the first sensor is located in front of the engine just aft of the merger, and the second one is behind the engine just aft of the catalytic converter.
    I'm going with my mechanic, who just told me that, and owns two other Subarus. ;)
    (and, just replaced one of the sensors)

Guess we'll find out, if we have other O2 sensor issues

The car has 126K miles

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    edited December 2020

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

Had one replaced on Tuesday. Check engine light back on Thursday. Back in shop, today.

Sensors are not cheap.

How many miles on the car again? In my experience, the catalytic converters do tend to need replacing around 160-170,000 miles. I generally replace oxygen sensors around 120,000 miles as preventative maintenance on them, but the dreaded P0420 code is bound to start returning that that more advanced mileage. At that point, there's not much left to do but replace the cats (expensive!).

That said, I have never replaced a Subaru cat, and my highest miled example was my first, at 220,000 miles. Even at those miles, the code was intermittent. However, it was frequent enough that the CEL would not turn off unless I scanned and cleared the codes between events (once every few days).
    How about the lacquer thinner treatment as a last resort? Or is that just a YouTube myth?

At that milage, what have you got to lose?
    Huh? What’s involved? I hope not while the car is running because, in that case, what you can lose is a car when it ignites.

EDIT: i googled. Wow. Please don’t put that in your gas tank. Good god.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    edited December 2020
    kyfdx said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

sda said:

kyfdx said:

Which car? Isn’t that covered by warranty?

2012 Forester with 126K miles
    It's always a bummer when the car you just bought starts having trouble and shows its behind. Hopefully this will be the only issue it has for a long time.
    I always assume that when you buy a cheaper, well used old car, to expect some immediate maintenance and repairs. Just hopefully nothing too major, and then it will be relatively sorted out.
    Exactly...

Anyway, oxygen sensor on Tuesday was $425.
    A lot of diagnostics and new plugs today was $300.
    Bosch Icon wiper blades $57
    Those are typical wear items you could expect on a car like that. What would irritate me is if the drivetrain developed issues. A smokey motor or a bucking tranny would be much worse.
    Stick shift, so he has that going for him.

The thing is, we could have spent twice this much on a newer car with 60% of the miles, and still had these exact issues. Buying used cars is a crapshoot. And, this is typical stuff.

Plus, he had a budget, and this was the sweet spot.
    That’s why I keep a new car in reserve and then buy hoopties for fun. If the car that meets my fun budget blows up I can leave it on the side of the road. Tough to do if it’s your only car.

I’ve been there too.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

Sensors are not cheap.

Huh? What’s involved? I hope not while the car is running because, in that case, what you can lose is a car when it ignites.

Oh, there’s quite an internet debate on the benefits. Some swear by it, some claim it’s hooey. The formula I’ve seen is 5 gallons of gas followed by one gallon of thinner, then drive 100 miles. When it doesn’t work the advocates claim that it wasn’t done right.

I thought it was kind of crazy myself but if I had a car that was worth less than new cats I might give it a try.

• Options
    greg128greg128 Member Posts: 529
    corvette said: sda said: stickguy said:I am oddly liking this one. Not a bad little car for the money, to serve as a spare. Well equipped, zippy engine, comfy. And I like the color combo.

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2013-buick-verano-4dr_sedan_premium_group-used-1g4pt5sv8d4140500.html

Those with a Turbo are rare. Too bad the back seat room is so limited. Nice car overall.
    Yes, I think the Regal might have had the turbo standard at some point before it was canned.

The wife had that 2.0 turbo in a leased 2016 Malibu and it was smooth and quick. The Verano is about 300 lbs lighter so should scoot but I wouldn't trust any of these turbo motors regardless of make when approaching 100k miles
  • Options
    greg128 said:

corvette said:

sda said:

stickguy said:

I am oddly liking this one. Not a bad little car for the money, to serve as a spare. Well equipped, zippy engine, comfy. And I like the color combo.

https://www.royaleasing.com/details-2013-buick-verano-4dr_sedan_premium_group-used-1g4pt5sv8d4140500.html

Those with a Turbo are rare. Too bad the back seat room is so limited. Nice car overall.
    Yes, I think the Regal might have had the turbo standard at some point before it was canned.
    The wife had that 2.0 turbo in a leased 2016 Malibu and it was smooth and quick. The Verano is about 300 lbs lighter so should scoot but I wouldn't trust any of these turbo motors regardless of make when approaching 100k miles

I’d want to see documented scrupulous oil changes on any car but particularly a turbo.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    edited December 2020
    Regal is too big for my taste. One thing I don't need is rear seat room. I could be fine with a 2 seater, but still more convenient to have rear seats too.

Just watched this review on the Mach-E. I actually like it quite a bit. Pricey though. And no, I still don't care about the Mustang name and styling cues. It looks great IMO. And the GT will outrun any factory real Mustang with a 3 second 0-60!

what they really need to do, is drop the GT's V8 motor in one of these to replace the EV drive. That would be a really good car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9Cb-cMBNIA

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    I'm still trying to understand why you need another car just a few months after you dumped the TLX because it never got driven.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    edited December 2020
    My stepbrother had a few Veranos (cheap leases). He never said anything bad about them. I looked at them before I got the Elantra. The Hyundai leased better at the time.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

Sensors are not cheap.

Oh, there’s quite an internet debate on the benefits. Some swear by it, some claim it’s hooey. The formula I’ve seen is 5 gallons of gas followed by one gallon of thinner, then drive 100 miles. When it doesn’t work the advocates claim that it wasn’t done right.

I thought it was kind of crazy myself but if I had a car that was worth less than new cats I might give it a try.
    I ran Cataclean according to the directions in the X3. It kept it from throwing the Catalyst Efficiency fault for around 6 months.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

Sensors are not cheap.

You know what really works? Sand. Throw a pound of that in your tank. The grit scrubs everything clean.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    q

qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

Sensors are not cheap.

I ran Cataclean according to the directions in the X3. It kept it from throwing the Catalyst Efficiency fault for around 6 months.
    Where do you find that? The LC isn’t throwing a code but I have picked up an intermittent smell.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    ab348 said:

I'm still trying to understand why you need another car just a few months after you dumped the TLX because it never got driven.

I don't. Just amusing myself looking, and planning ahead. My target estimate is 4/1 at this point. Maybe later if the wife's company still does not have them back in at all to the office.

if I found the right used car deal though I would still buy it.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

Sensors are not cheap.

You know what really works? Sand. Throw a pound of that in your tank. The grit scrubs everything clean.
    And then sell if fast before all the other lights come on.😂😂😂

• Options
    au1994 said:

q

qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

Sensors are not cheap.

Where do you find that? The LC isn’t throwing a code but I have picked up an intermittent smell.
    I found it at AutoZone.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    Talk about depreciation:
    https://www.campbellvw.com/inventory/used-2019-volkswagen-jetta-2-0t-autobahn-front-wheel-drive-4d-sedan-3vw6t7buxkm136370

This looks like it was maybe a VW Press car based on the Carfax. MSRP was $31-$32.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

Punch pending.

Channeling inner @breld works.

Found a used 2020 BMW X3 m40i in glacier silver and 19 inch wheels with all season tires. Retired service loaner with 7200 miles. Still has included prepaid maintenance they say. They are matching the insane Vroom offer for my Wrangler so I get the tax advantage too.

Have to drive 3.5 hours but I’m worth it...😂

Sounds great! When we got our service loaner (2017 model), it automatically came with an extra year of CPO warranty plus 25K more miles (5yr/75K total). I wonder if they still do that?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,280
    It didn’t sound like it.

It is at Bluegrass BMW (Watermark BMW) and they have a Watermark lifetime drivetrain warranty so probably not worth spending $2200 for CPO. Apparently you call a 1 -800 number before service and just keep the paperwork.

Picking it up 12/22
  • Options
    qbrozen said:

qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

Sensors are not cheap.

Ahh. That’s how pounding sand works too
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Talk about depreciation:
    https://www.campbellvw.com/inventory/used-2019-volkswagen-jetta-2-0t-autobahn-front-wheel-drive-4d-sedan-3vw6t7buxkm136370

This looks like it was maybe a VW Press car based on the Carfax. MSRP was $31-$32.

I do like this one. Seems reasonable for a CPO with 5.5 years and 62K miles on the warranty. Even with the DSG (stick is better, but that is also a good option).

Looks like that dealer has been sitting on it for a while though. Maybe that explains the price slash.

• Options
    Difference for 2020 X3 m40i and trading 2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited was $8700 out the door.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Talk about depreciation:

I do like this one. Seems reasonable for a CPO with 5.5 years and 62K miles on the warranty. Even with the DSG (stick is better, but that is also a good option).

Looks like that dealer has been sitting on it for a while though. Maybe that explains the price slash.
    I’ve read some mixed things about the stereo (Beats vs Fender in the GTI) and about the GLI being a bit of a rattle box.
  • Options
    I hope it has 2 key fobs...
  • Options
    When I test drove the GLI a couple years ago I know I turned the radio on briefly and it seemed fine, but I normally don't really exercise that on a test drive, unless I intend to buy it at the end of the drive. I am not that picky, as long as it will play decently at enough volume to hear on the highway with the windows down and roof open. Only car I had in a long time that failed was my Elantra since it had the base unit, not the upgraded one. That thing just sucked. If I had kept that car long term it would have gone to the stereo shop for an amp and speaker upgrade.

Rattles, that I would have no clue about, but my daughter's 2019 Jetta does not seem to have any.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267

Talk about depreciation:

They also have a previous generation one *three years older* on the lot at the same price. The 2019 looks like a bargain by comparison!
    mjfloyd1 said:

It didn’t sound like it.

It is at Bluegrass BMW (Watermark BMW) and they have a Watermark lifetime drivetrain warranty so probably not worth spending $2200 for CPO. Apparently you call a 1 -800 number before service and just keep the paperwork.

Picking it up 12/22

Congrats! Sounds like a great trade in value on the Wrangler!
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    kyfdx said:

I'm going with my mechanic, who just told me that, and owns two other Subarus. ;)
    (and, just replaced one of the sensors)

Guess we'll find out, if we have other O2 sensor issues

The car has 126K miles

Haha; that's no problem! While I've had seven, I've only replaced sensors on two of them. :p
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    au1994 said:

q

qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

kyfdx said:

Sensors are not cheap.

I looked up Cataclean and found this on the active ingredients:

“ The main constituents of the Cataclean formulation are; Acetone, isopropanol, xylene and long-chain hydrocarbons, namely paraffin and has two functions; 1. Produce oxygen to help with oxidation of layer of carbon deposits on the catalytic surface.”

Aren’t some of those similar to lacquer thinner?

• Options

Talk about depreciation:

Price is fair.

• Options
    mjfloyd1 said:

that would be an issue with a place like Carvana, but not at a dealer. I would just make them include the 2nd one!

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Talk about depreciation:

Price is fair.
    I’d be more interested if (1) it wasn’t red, and (2) it wasn’t a press car. I’ve seen the YouTube reviews and those cars did not live an easy life.
  • Options
    where is the press car idea coming from? Carfax says it was a personal use car, with a title issued at 10 miles. Would not indicate a manufacturer car of any sort.

I do like it in red.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    @mjflyod1,
    Great decision getting a quote on a 4x4 Wrangler when a huge snow storm was going to hit. :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options

qbrozen said:

Talk about depreciation:

Price is fair.
    I’d be more interested if (1) it wasn’t red, and (2) it wasn’t a press car. I’ve seen the YouTube reviews and those cars did not live an easy life.
    The press cars I had usually led a quite entertaining life while in my custody...

• Options
    stickguy said:

mjfloyd1 said:

that would be an issue with a place like Carvana, but not at a dealer. I would just make them include the 2nd one!
    That was another bad joke...

• Options

qbrozen said:

Talk about depreciation:

Price is fair.
    The press cars I had usually led a quite entertaining life while in my custody...

Case in point. Except you’re an experienced driver.
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Congrats @mjfloyd1 - I think you’ll be much happier with that color combo than the graphite.

@michaell accompanied me today to look at a few candidates for my SUV “downgrade.”

2020 CX-9 Signature - I can really appreciate what Mazda offers with their large SUV. Power was more than adequate from the turbo 4, though the sound naturally leaves something to be desired. Lots of nice features and 2nd row captain’s chairs are a nice touch for 2020. The cockpit feel may be sporty, but also contributes to a bit of a cramped space feel. Slightly used for $38k - great value.

2018 X5 40e - I like the idea of the plug-in hybrid, and I had enjoyed previous test drives of them, but for whatever reason this drive left a lot to be desired. Just didn’t feel very “athletic” and the braking was difficult to modulate. $39k, CPO with 37k miles. @michaell and I agreed the PHEV was probably a great new car to lease, but may not be the best choice to buy on the other end.

2018 X3 m40i - I get why @mjfloyd1 pulled the trigger. This I loved. Keeping in mind I’m a pretty conservative driver and don’t take full advantage of my Supra’s capabilities, I felt like the X3 was like my Supra on stilts. Other than leather, it’s very well equipped...Premium pkg, Driver Assist and Plus pkg, Parking Assist Pkg, Harmon Kardon, Wireless charging, CarPlay and best of all...Adaptive M Suspension. Not CPO but only 2.5 years old and 18k miles...so plenty of warranty left for me.

The used sales manager is a Porsche enthusiast so would be happy to take my Cayenne in and offered what I thought was a fairly generous trade.

Love the Cayenne...nothing I dislike about it. But as long as I’m okay with the smaller size, I also really like the X3 with $16k back in my pocket.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    so what color is it, and did you bring it home today or picking it up tomorrow?

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    It’s white over black.

https://www.autonation.com/cars/5UXTS3C51J0Y97944?utm_source=3534&utm_medium=1004&utm_campaign=*000001327*used

I may need to hold out for a 2019 or 2020 model. Wouldn’t be the worst thing to skip the first year of that model, and I noticed the m40i got a much nicer steering wheel in 2019. And while I’m at it, why not get the increased power for 2020?

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I really like the white. I’d prefer it over the glacier that I bought but it is what it is. I just don’t like dark colors and the upkeep. Yes, I’m lazy.

I looked at several BMWs and the pleather is nice. You can only tell by the lack of contrast stitching and the lack of rectangular stitched areas in the center of the seats.

The 2020 got a 30 ish boost in hp.

Mine does not have HK stereo but I’d rather listen to the twin turbo inline six

I can add wireless charging for $60 and install it myself but I honestly do not see the point. I’d use a lightning cable for CarPlay anyway

• Options
    I really like that one. I would love it with the brown or tan interior! I understand the 1st MY issue, but would not be worried about a power bump since that already has some much HP that I probably would never use. I drove a x30 and found that plenty fast enough so any 40 should feel like a hot rod.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267

qbrozen said:

Talk about depreciation:

Price is fair.
    I'm not convinced that being a press car makes it a no-go. It sounds a lot like people who dislike the idea of buying a former rental. Yes, they may have been driven hard. But, now that cars have rev limiters and other controls to prevent people from really damaging them, it's unlikely they've sustained any permanent damage, other than brakes and tires (which are easily checked).
  • Options
    The M40i is really a nice vehicle. That said, from my standpoint it doesn't do anything better than my M235i and if I need to get around in really severe wintry weather I have the Wrangler and X1.

• Options
    after reading some stuff in the car magazines about how they treat some of them, I would pass on those test cars. No issue really if it is one that gets loaned out to the normal Youtube review folks like Alex on autos, or Sarah n tuned.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    stickguy said:

so what color is it, and did you bring it home today or picking it up tomorrow?

Dealers in Colorado are closed on Sunday; wouldn’t be surprised if something happened next week.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    breld said:

It’s white over black.

https://www.autonation.com/cars/5UXTS3C51J0Y97944?utm_source=3534&utm_medium=1004&utm_campaign=*000001327*used

I may need to hold out for a 2019 or 2020 model. Wouldn’t be the worst thing to skip the first year of that model, and I noticed the m40i got a much nicer steering wheel in 2019. And while I’m at it, why not get the increased power for 2020?

Because that $16k pile of cash would shrink considerably, no?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    stickguy said:

I love the Raleigh area, or the Triad. My daughter went to college down there (midway between Greensboro and Raleigh). Great place to be.

Nashville has gotten overgrown and pricy. Clarksville is an interesting town. Something like that. Or Murfreesboro. Even Knoxville.

I did go to Greeneville a few years ago. Loved it. My wife might be OK there. She would die in the lowlands though in the summer!

Where did she go, Elon? I do find the Triangle pretty appealing, but not as fond of the Triad. I spent 11 years in Wilmington, and given the right opportunity there or in the Triangle, I'd go back to NC in a second.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    breld said:

It’s white over black.

So it’s a SAV. Is that a new class of vehicle?