Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366

xwesx said:

breld said:

Went shopping today for my son - probably not purchasing for another month or two, but figured he should start looking at options.

For today, we looked at a 2019 CRV EX-L, 2018 RDX Tech, 2020 VW Tiguan SE and a 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring.

Interesting to hear my son's thoughts, as he's not exactly a car enthusiast. I told him to focus on seating position (comfort) and just general driving feel.

Dang! I may end up posting a similar starting comment at some point, "we went shopping for my son," but then I'll be following that up with, "we looked at an assortment of '90s metal and a few '00s; everything in the $2-3K range..."

I wish my son was interested in cars but he views them simply as transportation. I use him as an excuse to go shopping for what I like because I know it won’t make any difference to him.
    I have to friends who are dyed in the wool car nuts- but their sons couldn't care less. One of them picked up a new Cayman and offered to let his son drive it home- and the son declined. My son isn't as car-crazy as I am, but at least he's interested in them.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,678
    stickguy said:

For Breld Jr., I would vote for CRV just because I am not a fan of teens having too much HP. But the RDX is nicer. That is actually why I ended up with one back in 2012. We were looking at the Honda dealer, figuring on getting a CRV, right after the new style RDX came out. I just wanted to see it, even though it was out of budget range, so we stopped in to the Acura dealer a few buildings down. Well, she liked it and we took one for a drive, and there was no going back for her. That mistake hurt me in the wallet big time!

I can see not getting a teen a Viper for their first car but would you curse a teen boy with a CRV? Why not a Buick if you really don’t want him to get a date?

Just kidding, a low power A to B car is probably the best even if the kid hates you.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited March 2021
    New listing for a used M2 in my area.

2017 (would prefer a 2018, but okay), pretty Long Beach Blue, manual, Exec package, really low miles.

And priced like a Comp model.

Okay...good luck with that.

I can hear the sales pitch...”These non-Comp models with the old N55 are gonna be the real collectible cars.”

https://www.gebhardtbmw.com/certified/BMW/2017-BMW-M2-4bdd909d0a0e09b00157f79e54825ee3.htm

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options

• Options
    ab348 said:

Hyundai/Kia continue to have issues with ABS modules failing, leading to fires. Now it has struck the latest Genesis models.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/genesis-g70-g80-sedans-recalled-over-chance-of-fire/

Gee, it turns out my Soul is better built than any of those fancy models. :p

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,952
    Did the Supra leave yet?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    breld said:
    Too bad about the AWD, though...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    OF, our leads don't get extra either. But my lead, he drives the chase van only 1 day a week! The other two, I take the after lunch drive while the other guy does the morning one. Is this fair? Well, my lead is also a car guy like me while the other couple of drivers we get during the week aren't. So, I feel our lead should drive the chase van more but since he's started this way of picking who drives that day, if I become the lead, will keep thins similar. Will just have to see since I think once the majority of folks have gotten their vaccinations, we'll go back to a few more in each van, maybe 7 total.
    But my lead said he had some anxiety at the interview, something he didn't expect, and something he's not sure he wants to deal with. My advice was to take a week off, try the new gig since it's an old friend of his, and see if he really likes it more. Sort of a trial run, if you will. So, am not expecting much here, he's a bit immature if you will and has a real lack of ambition. One driver even calls him "LOA" as his nickname, a bit uncalled for but hey, folks are folks.
    So, not expecting anything to really happen here. But if I do become the lead, will split the driving up more with the others as really, I truly hate those 13 and 15 packs with a passion...I truly hate them but I'm also a team player so do my part. Bottom line here, don't want to be a new lead but, will do it until things get back to a new normal which will happen by either October or November methinks. We need more folks/van to move more vehicles!
    Yesterday, ended lunch at 2:30 and after waiting a good 10 minutes for our next assignment, was told to bring it on home...we were done for the day! First time ever this has happened. Clocked out at 3:35pm and other vans were coming in also! This is not good!!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Have driven a few new Soul's at work and they really are great, I can almost slide right in and out without much fuss. It definitely could work for me going forward. And the do have some killer colors now that are quite striking to be honest. But I've been a Hyundai/Kia fan for sometime now, the Tucson was just the wrong vehicle at the wrong time for me to be honest. I do get they Kia sells so man of them.
    Still thinking about how nice the Mazda CX-30 I drove last week was. In the right color combo, it definitely could work for me. No black interior is my only thing I would need not to have, a grey or ivory one would work. After 6 years with an tan ivoryish interior, it ain't that bad really and only a couple areas need some scrubbing to get them clean. I've been super careful and I like the brightness of the interior. Of course, I'd have to go for the turbo in the CX-30, I'd want that extra kick to be honest.
    Again, drove the wife's A3 the other day, and no turbo lag at takeoff. Mine, need to put the gear into "S" mode to make it disappear. Both 1.8 liter turbo engines, guessing just tuned differently and just not worth it now to fix mine. But, still loving it, warts and all!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    That sunset orange BMW made me wonder. Wasn't there an orange Supra mulled over about a year ago? Forget why that didn't happen but nice to see that showing up on the radar from time to time. (Even on an automatic Miata.)

I still like the Mopar high impact colors. And everything that went with that.

A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    My brother failed a similar test of driving skill on a gravel road with his first car. Opel Kadett with about 60 hp. Same results. Negative and loud.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,932
    Michaell said:

Just kidding, a low power A to B car is probably the best even if the kid hates you.

We bought my stepson a used Geo Tracker with all of 98HP when he turned 16. Owned by a retired GM executive, around 60,000 miles on it.

He had it 5 weeks before he totaled it, speeding on a dirt road.

Any car has enough HP for kids to do something stupid in.
    This. I did some of my stupidest stuff in an 89 Grand Marquis with all of 160 HP.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    edited March 2021

stickguy said:

For Breld Jr., I would vote for CRV just because I am not a fan of teens having too much HP. But the RDX is nicer. That is actually why I ended up with one back in 2012. We were looking at the Honda dealer, figuring on getting a CRV, right after the new style RDX came out. I just wanted to see it, even though it was out of budget range, so we stopped in to the Acura dealer a few buildings down. Well, she liked it and we took one for a drive, and there was no going back for her. That mistake hurt me in the wallet big time!

I can see not getting a teen a Viper for their first car but would you curse a teen boy with a CRV? Why not a Buick if you really don’t want him to get a date?

Lol, I’ve got a 15 year old and guess what his first choice is? The Buick Encore!

Believe it or not we may consider it but are also looking at things like the HR-V, Kona etc.

Wild card would be to buy my BIL’s E90 that has about 110k on it to get him to graduation and get a new ride for college. That way he gets the bumps out in an older car. The E90 is in decent shape and he just threw some $ at it in maintenance. Then on the off chance he goes to college somewhere Freshmen are not allowed cars, we are not sitting with a relatively new car idle in the driveway.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    My son's first car was a 1975 2002(boy, did that generate comments from the hand-wringing bed wetters). His sophomore he took the X3 to college and my wife bought a CPO E90. A year or so later she asked if I would mind if she repossessed the X3 and gave the E90 to our son. I said if they both were happy then I was happy.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,365
    tjc78 said:

Michaell said:

We bought my stepson a used Geo Tracker with all of 98HP when he turned 16. Owned by a retired GM executive, around 60,000 miles on it.

This. I did some of my stupidest stuff in an 89 Grand Marquis with all of 160 HP.
    In HS, a friend had a 70’s Civic. Chirped the tires once in front of the Golf ‘n’ Stuff - and in front of a cop.

Boom! Exhibition of speed ticket. We laughed about that for a good long time - that car had what, 50 or 60 HP?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    tifighter said:

I can't remember, did I mention this yet?

I do believe you slipped that one past us but let me just say...”yummy!”

• Options
    Michaell said:

tjc78 said:

Michaell said:

In HS, a friend had a 70’s Civic. Chirped the tires once in front of the Golf ‘n’ Stuff - and in front of a cop.

Boom! Exhibition of speed ticket. We laughed about that for a good long time - that car had what, 50 or 60 HP?
    Can you say quota?

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,365
    au1994 said:

Michaell said:

tjc78 said:

Michaell said:

Can you say quota?
    Probably.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    edited March 2021

OF, our leads don't get extra either. But my lead, he drives the chase van only 1 day a week! The other two, I take the after lunch drive while the other guy does the morning one. Is this fair? Well, my lead is also a car guy like me while the other couple of drivers we get during the week aren't. So, I feel our lead should drive the chase van more but since he's started this way of picking who drives that day, if I become the lead, will keep thins similar. Will just have to see since I think once the majority of folks have gotten their vaccinations, we'll go back to a few more in each van, maybe 7 total.
    But my lead said he had some anxiety at the interview, something he didn't expect, and something he's not sure he wants to deal with. My advice was to take a week off, try the new gig since it's an old friend of his, and see if he really likes it more. Sort of a trial run, if you will. So, am not expecting much here, he's a bit immature if you will and has a real lack of ambition. One driver even calls him "LOA" as his nickname, a bit uncalled for but hey, folks are folks.
    So, not expecting anything to really happen here. But if I do become the lead, will split the driving up more with the others as really, I truly hate those 13 and 15 packs with a passion...I truly hate them but I'm also a team player so do my part. Bottom line here, don't want to be a new lead but, will do it until things get back to a new normal which will happen by either October or November methinks. We need more folks/van to move more vehicles!
    Yesterday, ended lunch at 2:30 and after waiting a good 10 minutes for our next assignment, was told to bring it on home...we were done for the day! First time ever this has happened. Clocked out at 3:35pm and other vans were coming in also! This is not good!!

Same thing happened up here, we got sent home at 3:30 one day. That’s significant up here since we work two long days instead of three. One team was told not to come in at all. Our lots are pretty empty. Could be a combination of fewer new cars available because of production problems and existing cars being sold off to dealers.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    tifighter said:

Me like.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    omarman said:

That sunset orange BMW made me wonder. Wasn't there an orange Supra mulled over about a year ago? Forget why that didn't happen but nice to see that showing up on the radar from time to time. (Even on an automatic Miata.)

Now, orange on that car looks good. It should be over the top as tribute to the 70s.

• Options
    Michaell said:

Whenever I taught a young person to drive I always told them that 6 months to a year after they got a license they would have a “moment of truth” where their overconfidence would get them in trouble. If they were lucky they would only get a scare. If not....

Some listened, some didn’t.

• Options
    dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    Congrats @tifighter! I love the color, that's one where the black wheels definitely compliment the car :)
  • Options

Michaell said:

Whenever I taught a young person to drive I always told them that 6 months to a year after they got a license they would have a “moment of truth” where their overconfidence would get them in trouble. If they were lucky they would only get a scare. If not....

Some listen but are just not lucky.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    had more drama today with my soon to be future car. We were going down to help with some packing for her upcoming move anyway, but the princess called while I was still dawdling in bed to tell me there was a car issue too. Apparently it had been "yelling' at her for a few days but she was kind of ignoring it because it was always in the dark (I gave her a lecture about that!). The TPMS warning was going off. Part of the issue was the last time, it was just because the tires had heated up so one was just out of range at the top end.

she finally checked them all this morning, and 3 were fine (maybe 36 PSI). But right rear (which she said looked almost normal, which it did) was at a whopping 9. At least she gave me a heads up. So, threw the compressor into the car too. Pumped the tire up and had her back up a little, and found a nail. Thankfully in the groove between 2 tread rows, so definitely pluggable.

so googled nearby tire stores. One 10 minutes away looked respectable, and was open, so called them. Said earliest opening was Tuesday (to fix a flat!). So called the closest one (which gave a very neighborhood shop vibe). Owner answered. Heavy accent, but finally got it that I needed a flat fixed, and he said they could take care of it. So drove right over (maybe 5 minutes away). Little corner shop, 1 garage door and maybe room for 2-3 cars inside (Not even sure they had a full lift). So doing cars with a floor jack out on the apron/sidewalk, etc. Princess was a bit unnerved by the whole scene, but I told her to just stop anyway since we were there (if she was flying solo, she would have left).

waiting a few minutes for guy to wrap up a civic, and he walked over to look and I showed him where it was. He just told her to pull in the door, and about 1 minute later the RR of the car was in the air and tire off. 5 minutes later, plug done, they checked for leaks in a tub of soapy water, and tire back on the car. $10.

Some very interesting characters (customers) out front. We, kinda didn't fit in. But they were doing quite a good business. Moved a lot of used tires I think (and seemed to sell new also but no clue how that worked).

round trip from her place, took maybe 1/2 an hour. Never get that service at a chain place. And would have had to leave the car or tire most likely. And like I told the kid, I trusted these guys more to know what they were doing. Plus, no chance they were going to try and scare you into buying struts or brakes you don't need!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    On my Instagram feed, @jpp75

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988

Michaell said:

My daughter is pretty much at that point. Hoping she remains cautious, observant and defensive in her driving. I’ve seen her roar of in the TL...

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,325
    If I were breld, I would let his kid drive the Leaf.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    tifighter said:

Another Performance model?

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Saw a reminder on another board I follow that you will need a REAL ID compliant driver's license to get through TSA security beginning October 1. Most states already issue these, but mine hasn't up until recently, and the one I got in March, 2019 isn't compatible. A passport is also valid for TSA purposes, but I prefer not to carry that (and deal with the risk of losing it) for domestic travel. The October 1 deadline will probably be delayed yet again, but I made an appointment to get the new card through my local licensing office since it's only $15.

The first appointment they had available was in May, so I guess the lesson is if you have credentials expiring, book your appointment early!
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    In Ohio it's just part of getting a replacement driver license at the BMV. I'm up for renewal in April so I'm getting the pieces required to prove who I am and where I live. Ohio makes it easy with a check list setup where you click on the kinds of items you have and it tells you if you have enough proof.
    https://services.dps.ohio.gov/BMVOnlineServices/DL/StandardDocuments

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    NJ was supposed to be last october, but they pushed it until this year. Given that you still can't get appointments for most things at the DMV, might happen again. They might have moved DL renewal online, but not sure if real ID will be that way. Our DLs actually expire at the end of December this year, so I need a new one anyway and intend to get the real ID then. Not likely to fly before year end anyway, but if I do, will just use a passport. Assuming they finally send our new ones back since they were expiring too!

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,952
    tifighter said:

Is this your third Tesla? I know you had 2.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    sda said:

Michaell said:

My daughter is pretty much at that point. Hoping she remains cautious, observant and defensive in her driving. I’ve seen her roar of in the TL...
    My niece who I taught had her license about a year when she took a turn too fast and slid on ice. Just took out a mailbox and scraped mom’s bumper. Next time we were together her father was telling the tale and my niece smiled and said “moment of truth”.

• Options
    qbrozen said:

omarman said:

Exactly why I have one. :)

That orange looks great on your Charger too. I wonder why I hated it on the Miata?

Maybe it was the black wheels.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,325
    That AAR 'Cuda is worth quite a bit of money.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,883

xwesx said:

breld said:

Went shopping today for my son - probably not purchasing for another month or two, but figured he should start looking at options.

For today, we looked at a 2019 CRV EX-L, 2018 RDX Tech, 2020 VW Tiguan SE and a 2018 CX-5 Grand Touring.

Interesting to hear my son's thoughts, as he's not exactly a car enthusiast. I told him to focus on seating position (comfort) and just general driving feel.

Dang! I may end up posting a similar starting comment at some point, "we went shopping for my son," but then I'll be following that up with, "we looked at an assortment of '90s metal and a few '00s; everything in the $2-3K range..."

I wish my son was interested in cars but he views them simply as transportation. I use him as an excuse to go shopping for what I like because I know it won’t make any difference to him.
    I have to friends who are dyed in the wool car nuts- but their sons couldn't care less. One of them picked up a new Cayman and offered to let his son drive it home- and the son declined. My son isn't as car-crazy as I am, but at least he's interested in them.
    My son started out pretty interested in cars. His cars after college were: BMW 3 series coupe, Acura TSX, VW GTI. He bought the GTI right after getting married.

Then the kid came. He traded the GTI for a Land Rover.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    my daughter likes them, and enjoys looking at them with me, and driving. and does have some taste. My son, well, that apple did not fall far from the tree.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,409
    corvette said:

Saw a reminder on another board I follow that you will need a REAL ID compliant driver's license to get through TSA security beginning October 1. Most states already issue these, but mine hasn't up until recently, and the one I got in March, 2019 isn't compatible. A passport is also valid for TSA purposes, but I prefer not to carry that (and deal with the risk of losing it) for domestic travel. The October 1 deadline will probably be delayed yet again, but I made an appointment to get the new card through my local licensing office since it's only $15.

The first appointment they had available was in May, so I guess the lesson is if you have credentials expiring, book your appointment early!

I'm not positive, but I think they've extended this for another year, already. Either way, I plan on getting an appointment, soon. I could always use my passport, but that would be one more thing to lose during domestic travel.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    @tifighter .....sneaky-sneaky. Like it a lot. Congrats!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options

@tifighter .....sneaky-sneaky. Like it a lot. Congrats!

Same! Congrats!

Excited to hear your real-world impressions compared to the 3 and X.

What color interior did you get? And I assume this has the new center console and heated steering wheel at this point?

• Options
    I went and checked out the M240xi in person. Really like that Sunset Orange contrasted with the Oyster interior. And while I’d prefer the silver wheels, the black ones are kinda sharp in this combo. One curious omission I noted was the lack of parking sensors.

I’m not as anxious as you may think to get my next fun car though - happy to live in this “reset” state for a little while. Otherwise, this would be a candidate. As long as I am okay with the automatic, I’d just as soon get the AWD.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    I really like the Sunset Orange.
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,932
    corvette said:

I really like the Sunset Orange.

It works on that car. Of course I too would prefer silver wheels, but the contrast with the interior is a good look.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Sunset over oyster is a great combo. I’d swap the wheels though.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    edited March 2021
    breld said:

tifighter said:

Another Performance model?
    Long Range. Lowered suspension + 21" rims = not best fit for my wife's daily.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd