Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    edited March 2021
    nyccarguy said:

I looked at the discount the brokers were offering, got the money factor, & residual from our handsome hosts here on Edmunds and fired off a few email inquiries.

Hmm... so there are hosts here with whom we may be unfamiliar?

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,435
    xwesx said:

nyccarguy said:

I looked at the discount the brokers were offering, got the money factor, & residual from our handsome hosts here on Edmunds and fired off a few email inquiries.

Hmm... so there are hosts here with whom we may be unfamiliar?

Hey ... wait a minute!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    There's a chance I may be the new lead at work. Our current lead is a nice young kid, he turns 36 next week, and working part time this last year has left him needing more hours/income going forward. Getting the unemployment was enough to get him through the furlough but now, reality has stepped in. Someone he used to work with called him about a full time gig that he's be perfect for so he interviews later this morning. We were talking today and if he does get this new gig and leaves, he wants to keep our small group together so he asked me if I'd become the new lead if he does end up leaving. I turned this position down back in June when we came off furlough as I just didn't want the extra responsibility. Just wanted to be given keys and told where to meet up for drop off. But have had a change of heart.
    So, if he ends up giving his two weeks notice, I could become the newest lead at work. We're still social distancing in the 15 packs we use as chase vehicles but have heard rumors that once we get back to normal, hopefully by years end, we could be going back to possibly 8 drivers plus the lead. But once that happens, doubt I'd still be needed as a lead which I'm perfectly o k with...doing this with 2 other guys would work for me. guess we'll find out later today. Will be sorry to see him go if things do pan out in his favor, but he's too young to settle and needs to be working full time. Life needs to come back to normal!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Well, it's been almost two weeks since they pushed back our start time to 8 am and it seems to be working for them. They're saving on less work hours as most groups are ending their days between 5 and 5:30, hardly anyone working to 6 or later anymore. Commercial travel is nowhere near where it used to be though there is an uptick in personal travel due to Spring Break here in South Florida. Seems like even the protocols for the Covid-19 have not slowed down college students coming down to party. We're renting out as many vehicles as we can get plus we're still adding new vehicles to our fleet daily.
    Even the recent upward surge in petrol prices has not stifled the demand for rentals and think this current trend could continue for the near future. Folks are truly ready to get back to normal though I think it's a bit premature personally. Many experts agree that there could be another surge in new cases and deaths if we don't stay the course. So glad we both have gotten our vaccinations though we do continue to wear our masks and social distance whenever possible. Best to be proactive at this juncture!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Put me into a Chevy Tahoe yesterday afternoon, a 2019 unit with just about 30K on the clock. Bose audio was excellent and seems to work well in whatever vehicle I've had them in. Clear decent sound with minimal distortion even when turned up a bit. Would be a requirement on any make/model that offered it to be honest. Road manners were excellent though I was only on the Florida turnpike from Ft. Lauderdale to West Palm Beach. It is a big vehicle to be honest and it did use some petrol but hey, it's a big vehicle! Needed to swing by the house to pick up something and took up most of the driveway and doubt it would fit in our garage or it might on the wife's side but just barely.
    Overall, was a very impressive vehicle. Drove nicely, ergonomically, things were right where they should be and excellent Bose audio system. A perfect vehicle for someone who needs one! Was nice that it wasn't black over black, was a dark blue over black so was somewhat attractive though I'd prefer a lighter interior overall. Good job here Chevrolet...very good job!

• Options
    Up early on my n/s day today. Could be because I was tired yesterday and was in bed before 9 last night. Laid down at 8:10 and said it would be for a few minutes and next thing I know, it's 11:35 already! Opened my eyes about 3:45 or so, so got up and here I am. Nothing on the schedule today which is nice for a change. Figure it's about time to get serious and get started on cleaning my office starting with my desk. Have some receipts that need to be filed and might as well go through the large stack of papers and either pitch what isn't needed and file the rest. Then need to conquer the closet and the bookshelf. Keep putting this chore off and was supposed to do it last weekend but of course, didn't get to it. Looks like today's the day to finally get things done. So much easier to work with the desk clean and tidy with everything put in it's place.
    Did some surfing on a newer Mini Cooper and seems like both loaners the dealer had have been sold which doesn't surprise me. As much as I liked them both, just wasn't serious enough to go for a test drive. But think deep down I'm just putting things off till the new GTI comes out as I think it cold be a real game changer. The new interior is what I'm actually waiting to see, I think it looks great from the pics I've seen online. So pointless to even look at anything else until I get some time behind the wheel of the new one. Turns out I may love it but hate the way it drives, have never had any vehicle with 18" alloy before with such a smallish sidewall. And not willing to settle on something right now, so will just wait a bit longer. And if I really don't like it, then I'll look to see what else floats my boat.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,563
    GTI is a fun car to drive, and quick. But will have a firmer ride than you are likely used to. Definitely not a luxury ride, like a Lexus.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,435
    stickguy said:

GTI is a fun car to drive, and quick. But will have a firmer ride than you are likely used to. Definitely not a luxury ride, like a Lexus.

Sits pretty low, as well. With the bolstered seats, if you have trouble getting in and out, it could be an issue

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited March 2021
    @rny421 ....huge congrats on the punch. The car is beautiful.

@nyccarguy .....Hope your wife’s convalescence is painless and goes smoothly. I know I don’t haul stuff anymore, but when I had my Tahoe, I wondered if I could use a pickup instead. The only times I wished for a pickup was when I was hauling bulk mulch, which was once every other year.

Interesting interaction with my Acura dealership yesterday. The General Manager (who had been promoted from being the Sales Manager several months ago) and the sales person who I’ve worked with for years, called me and said he was putting in orders for the S-Type. They both know I have the Stinger, and explained to them I didn’t know what the S-Type would net me over the Stinger, or even if the S-Type would drive as well as the Stinger.

They know me well. “No obligation....just doing colors for initial inventory. We’re having a private introduction party and you’ll be invited. Want to have a color on hand you might like”.

Sly devils.

Anyway, they don’t have exact numbers, but said the MSRP would be low $50s. Only option would be Summer tires, but aside from that, they’ll have all Acura’s options as standard.

I said I’d like Apex Blue Pearl (which is a gorgeous color) with Red Leather interior (of course). The GM chuckled...yeah....that’s going to sit on the lot for a while if you don’t buy it. I told him I doubted that would be the case.

Anyway, I guess they’re a few weeks away from having stock.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    I just heard they’ve were going to be out shortly. I still haven’t sat in the new version, just saw one parked outside the dealership.

• Options
    kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

Sits pretty low, as well. With the bolstered seats, if you have trouble getting in and out, it could be an issue
    Yeah, not great for creaky old people. But better than a Miata!

I think the Taos will be good for Sandy. Still small, but sits a bit higher, and should drive like a golf.

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,390
    Best to your wife @nyccarguy.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2021
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Nice looking in red! But the tires are too skinny.

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559

@rny421 ....huge congrats on the punch. The car is beautiful.

@nyccarguy .....Hope your wife’s convalescence is painless and goes smoothly. I know I don’t haul stuff anymore, but when I had my Tahoe, I wondered if I could use a pickup instead. The only times I wished for a pickup was when I was hauling bulk mulch, which was once every other year.

Interesting interaction with my Acura dealership yesterday. The General Manager (who had been promoted from being the Sales Manager several months ago) and the sales person who I’ve worked with for years, called me and said he was putting in orders for the S-Type. They both know I have the Stinger, and explained to them I didn’t know what the S-Type would net me over the Stinger, or even if the S-Type would drive as well as the Stinger.

They know me well. “No obligation....just doing colors for initial inventory. We’re having a private introduction party and you’ll be invited. Want to have a color on hand you might like”.

Sly devils.

Anyway, they don’t have exact numbers, but said the MSRP would be low $50s. Only option would be Summer tires, but aside from that, they’ll have all Acura’s options as standard.

I said I’d like Apex Blue Pearl (which is a gorgeous color) with Red Leather interior (of course). The GM chuckled...yeah....that’s going to sit on the lot for a while if you don’t buy it. I told him I doubted that would be the case.

Anyway, I guess they’re a few weeks away from having stock.

I do like that blue, that was my first choice with the TLX. There is also a violet color that's only available on the Advance I think, which looks pretty nice.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Is it overstating to say the pinstriping kills this?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-honda-prelude-18/

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,390
    I was going to post that Prelude over here but got distracted by work. How dare they?? :smile:

I actually like the pinstripes. Kinda breaks up the white and is a very period correct addition.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    au1994 said:

I was going to post that Prelude over here but got distracted by work. How dare they?? :smile:

I actually like the pinstripes. Kinda breaks up the white and is a very period correct addition.

Definitely not unusual for 1991.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Low $50k's seems like a pretty good deal for the TLX Type S. Have they confirmed the equipment level? I assume it's more or less the A-Spec level of features plus the engine.

That seems to be an average price for nicely equipped 330i.

• Options
    I think it’s basically A spec + advanced, with the turbo. But I never really analyzed the new model trim levels.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,179
    Someone probably paid $500 for those pinstripes (tape stripes?). I've even seen that kind of thing on late 80s/early 90s era MBs.
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

au1994 said:

I suppose that's correct. When I bought my slightly used 1993 Prelude Si it had pinstripes on it that I had them remove. But they were the simple taped stripes and came right off.

The stripes on this 1991 Prelude are very elaborate. They make me think of fancy stitching on the back pockets of jeans from the same era.

• Options
    breld said:

kyfdx said:

au1994 said:

I suppose that's correct. When I bought my slightly used 1993 Prelude Si it had pinstripes on it that I had them remove. But they were the simple taped stripes and came right off.

The stripes on this 1991 Prelude are very elaborate. They make me think of fancy stitching on the back pockets of jeans from the same era.
    I bet they are tape, as well

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I love that prelude. Even the pinstripes are fine. One of my favorite cars. This one, I think is going to get pricey though.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    kyfdx said:

breld said:

kyfdx said:

au1994 said:

I bet they are tape, as well
    I don't know - they seem too fancy to be simply tape.

But pinstripes or not, I agree this is gonna get pricey.

A white 1991 Si was my target as I was graduating college back in 1994. But a used 1993 Prelude caught my eye instead - and at the time it seemed like the obvious way to go and I did love it. I don't suspect that generation of Prelude will reach collectible status.

• Options
    Now those stripes look well on that Honda, give it a more buttoned down look...personally am a fan. Have a white stripe on my Golf and again, think it looks good and finishes off the look for me. Not sure if the A3 has one, will have to wait till tonight to check it out. But I've always bin a pin stripe fan.
    Agree that the upcoming Taos should be a good fit for me, just hope it's not that much longer than what I've got now. If it fits, I'd probably end up with it and not look back. A shame that Lexus doesn't make anything size wise for me. Was over by their story about an hour ago and saw them unloading some nice new iron. Saw something that caught my eye, and didn't look that big to be honest. Looked at their line-up when I got in and think it must've been their new UX model. Size looked like it could fit and I did like the looks of it. Never owned a Lexus yet, was super close on getting the older CT200 model they no longer produce. Liked it except that everyone unit we tried was very loud in the cabin while driving, could hardly carry on a normal conversation with the Mrs. which was an issue. My hearing ain't so good in the first place, the audiologist I went to recommended a hearing aid post haste but still haven't done anything. Hell, I'm just deciding to get the shingles shot! I'm not an early adoptor by any means...usually takes me awhile on most things which causes some issues at home and in my head. Takes me awhile to commit to most things as I kind of get paralysis looking at every aspect. Usually I just don't jump which annoys me to no end!
    But yes, just wish Lexus would have something in their line-up that I'd like to buy as besides being a bit pricey, they hold up well. I've never had any luck with a Lexus yet.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,939
    @nyccarguy
    You did a great job explaining the broker option.

With the XC not only was I having trouble getting a dealer to play ball, the broker just happened to have the exact spec and colors we wanted. In the end a no brainer for us.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use a broker again if I couldn’t match the deal.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    Prelude is awesome. Stripes would come off before I even drove it!

• Options
    breld said:

Low $50k's seems like a pretty good deal for the TLX Type S. Have they confirmed the equipment level? I assume it's more or less the A-Spec level of features plus the engine.

I think I will be looking hard at a TLX when the S60 is up (516 days.. but who is counting)

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    au1994 said:

xwesx said:

au1994 said:

I could do without that trim package. Otherwise, it would fit my needs just fine. I like the towing capability should I ever need to move the boat. At 5k lbs it would handle my 21 footer. Interior looks good to me, I understand the infotainment to be a little tricky but all I need is to use Carplay. Not too bad for 36k.

I didn't visit the link; is that a Ridgeline trim?
    Yes, the HPD (Honda Performance Development) package. Looks like it adds some graphics, flares and specific wheels and tires but nothing actually performance enhancing that I gathered.

I think for a small additional cost you can get clowns and balloons also :) .

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    qbrozen said:

xwesx said:

corvette said:

qbrozen said:

Problem on the Chevy front.

I think the ball is in their court to fix it, at this point, since you're driving "their" car with no valid contract and it's now hundreds of miles away from the selling dealership. A casual "I will abide by the terms of the original contract that we both agreed to, but I'm not signing anything else or doing anything else, come pick it up and unwind the deal if that doesn't work for you" might get things fixed very quickly.
    How frustrating! Hopefully they can get it sorted out. Is that change in selling price before tax? I wonder what would cause that to change? Grrr.

You better go take it around the block again to ease the tension. :D
    Oh, I’m not worried at all. I tried to explain several times that they weren’t doing the tax right. They said “well, you’ll just pay the difference at the DMV.” Yeah, right.

GM said “no go. You have to collect the right taxes.” But the difference is all of $91. They are 6% and we are 6.625%. Somehow she came up with $7/mo more. Uhhhh....nope.

The deal is, she tried to use the same cap cost as before, which included the sale price plus first month plus the tax on the incentive, plus a $10 title charge. Then a monthly tax was added after. When she redid it, she used the same cap cost BUT this time it included only first month. So now, instead of the incentive tax in the top line, she included it in the bottom line with the total NJ tax.

I emailed her and the salesperson showing how using the same cap cost but moving tax to the bottom line winds up increasing the selling price we had agreed to. Like I said, I think it is an honest mistake. But the payment should be $2 more, not $7.
    Took a couple of emails, but she finally saw the light and agreed she screwed up the new contract. Now overnighting a 3rd.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990
    I am hoping this isn't typical. Last night I watched a video on U-tube. Randy of Auto Auctions was driving his BMW I3 from Oklahoma City to Dallas. He experienced several charging stations that were broken and was forced to drive to another. That would be bad news if you were out of juice and didn't have a ICE backup like the I3 has. Has anyone else experienced this? I certainly hope this is a rare occurrence.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,269
    sda said:

I certainly hope this is a rare occurrence.

I've heard it's fairly commonplace with public chargers. It seems like Tesla does a much better job of maintaining their Supercharger network. It could really cause problems on a long trip, since you'd usually be counting on using fast chargers (which are less common to begin with).
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    carnaught said:

au1994 said:

xwesx said:

au1994 said:

I could do without that trim package. Otherwise, it would fit my needs just fine. I like the towing capability should I ever need to move the boat. At 5k lbs it would handle my 21 footer. Interior looks good to me, I understand the infotainment to be a little tricky but all I need is to use Carplay. Not too bad for 36k.

I didn't visit the link; is that a Ridgeline trim?
    Yes, the HPD (Honda Performance Development) package. Looks like it adds some graphics, flares and specific wheels and tires but nothing actually performance enhancing that I gathered.

I think for a small additional cost you can get clowns and balloons also :) .

Hahaha! Not my exact thoughts, but close...
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    edited March 2021
    tjc78 said:

breld said:

I think I will be looking hard at a TLX when the S60 is up (516 days.. but who is counting)
    I'm starting to see sprinkles of TLXs on the road. I think Acura did a nice job style wise. I'll have to take one out for a ride one of these days.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990
    nyccarguy said:

tjc78 said:

breld said:

I'm starting to see sprinkles of TLXs on the road. I think Acura did a nice job style wise. I'll have to take one out for a ride one of these days.

I can see the TLX being my next car. They're the right size for me and are just a bit nicer than what I have. The extra zoom would be welcome too. The Passat is more of a stop gap, a good car, but I don't see me owning it long term. I may give it to my daughter when the TL is retired.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    I saw a white TLX the other day and liked it. It’s also a little bigger than the S60 which wouldn’t hurt.

@stickguy
    Just got a note from the Philly Auto Show; postponed until 2022

• Options
    pensfan83pensfan83 Member Posts: 2,559
    I'm sure a TLX will be on our list as well, either this August or August 2023. Hopefully my dealer has a few in their loaner fleet and I can at least try one out in a few months.
    1997 Honda Prelude Base - 2022 Acura MDX Type S Advance - 2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road - 2006 BMW 330Ci ZHP
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,332
    @nyccarguy,
    Best wishes for your wife's recovery.
    Thought the picture from the back of the Pilot was going to of her going home ambulance style. :D
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    TJC78, what does that upwards right leaning arrow mean in your phone's post? I've seen that icon many times, even on my own smartphone, but have no clue what it stands for? Not very techy here...that's what my kids are for!

• Options

TJC78, what does that upwards right leaning arrow mean in your phone's post? I've seen that icon many times, even on my own smartphone, but have no clue what it stands for? Not very techy here...that's what my kids are for!

To the right of the time? That’s IPhone telling you location service is active. It comes on depending on the app and permission settings

• Options

@nyccarguy,
    Best wishes for your wife's recovery.
    Thought the picture from the back of the Pilot was going to of her going home ambulance style. :D

+1 speedy recovery.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    nyccarguy said:

My wife had to have surgery yesterday to repair a torn labrum in her left hip. I took her into the city yesterday and picked her up today in her Pilot. I had to make a few deliveries, including these gates this afternoon. Maybe I don’t need a pickup after all.

Hope Mrs. nyccarguy recovers quickly from her medical procedure. Maybe next time you can load the gates into the back yourself and spare her from incurring injury doing heavy lifting like that. :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,435

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,332
    jpp75 seems familiar, hmmm...
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    bummer about the auto show, but I was not seeing how they were going to pull it off in June. Certainly not including sitting in the cars. Will have to do our looking the old fashioned way, at the dealer!

Sandy, the Taos is just about 175" long ( I saw a couple different numbers, between 174.8 and 175.5 or so). So should fit your criteria. It just looks bigger in pictures, but is really about the same size as a Seltos.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    I guess @jpp75 needs more garage space for that Model 3.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd