Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,393

Sure, since I’d be living in it…

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options

Also, I think if this example is as good as they say, it’d bring much more than $20k on something like BaT.

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    does sound like a good option for one of the auction sites. But not everybody likely wants to deal with all the hoops, plus it takes a while longer.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,174
    Volvo seems dear, but one of those cases where if you don't like it, try to find another, good luck. Biggest irks are the list of needs, all of which other than paint flaws seem simple - I would want those all cured before purchase.
  • Options

Everything is negotiable.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Elliott Alvis bought one with needs, which makes for good YouTube content, but not something I'd want to deal with.

Did the spark plugs on the Prius today. Not sure when they were last done, but it definitely needed them. I felt a little silly buying a packet of anti-seize and putting it on the threads, as I seriously doubt anyone will bother to change them again the next time they are due--at 342,000 miles. Also continued cleaning the interior and working on the touch up paint.
  • Options
    benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    What's your guess on how long the spark plugs had been in your Prius? Since 100k maybe? Were they Platinum or Iridium?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • Options
    Unique to the XLT trim of the Maverick are orange plastic highlights that are found in the door handles, vents, and phone holder. Not to my taste. If I were getting a Maverick, I'd get either the base XL or the luxury Lariat, neither of which have that slightly odd (from my pov) design touch.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    benjaminh said:

What's your guess on how long the spark plugs had been in your Prius? Since 100k maybe? Were they Platinum or Iridium?

I asked in one of the Prius groups and someone indicated they were unlikely to be OEM. They looked pretty nasty, though, so I'm guessing maybe the previous owner changed them at 120k per the manufacturer's recommended interval and they had 100k on them? OE, the ones I pulled out, and the ones I bought are all iridium.

I like the XLT interior on the Maverick. The XL interior looks drab, but I don't see the price delta for the XLT being worth it based on that alone. And I really dig the steel wheels on the XL.
  • Options
    XL interior

Lariat interior

• Options

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    corvette said:

benjaminh said:

I asked in one of the Prius groups and someone indicated they were unlikely to be OEM. They looked pretty nasty, though, so I'm guessing maybe the previous owner changed them at 120k per the manufacturer's recommended interval and they had 100k on them? OE, the ones I pulled out, and the ones I bought are all iridium.

I like the XLT interior on the Maverick. The XL interior looks drab, but I don't see the price delta for the XLT being worth it based on that alone. And I really dig the steel wheels on the XL.
    Does it run better? Anything that runs well after 200k, kudos.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    I don't mind the orange. gives it a little bit of pizazz.

And you already talked me into spending more on the hot rod motor but I am not going another $4k for a Lariat!

actually the reviews talked me into it. I am used to the scoot in the RDX so will probably enjoy it in the truck. Though getting good MPG is certainly a plus!

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,335
    stickguy said:

And you already talked me into spending more on the hot rod motor but I am not going another $4k for a Lariat!

actually the reviews talked me into it. I am used to the scoot in the RDX so will probably enjoy it in the truck. Though getting good MPG is certainly a plus!

If you're averaging 5000 miles a year, the delta cost for gas really won't be that much.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    sda said:

Does it run better? Anything that runs well after 200k, kudos.

Unfortunately, I can't tell much of a difference. It still stumbled on a cold start (which is normal, it had sat for a few days). But, I'm glad to have new plugs in it. I was concerned there might be a valve cover gasket leak, but the plug wells and the coil packs were bone dry, and judging by the location of the gunk I found, was likely just someone spilling oil when adding oil. I used about half a can of parts cleaner and cleaned most of it up, although it still doesn't look perfect. Then I let my detached garage air out for about an hour to get rid of the parts cleaner odor--that stuff is nasty!
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Those spark plugs do look like they've been through a lot. I'm going to guess that they are the original spark plugs that came with Prius based on how this 100k spark plug looks at 1:37 in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vmimeg62JA
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

Yes, I have not put gas in the 2nd car for a full 12 months now!

math wise, the extra cost of gas is probably not that significant. Plus some of the miles going on the new car will come off the RDX, which gets crappy mileage to start with, so not going to lose anything there.

and zero chance I give up the moonroof, and I hate slopping up the carpets in the winter so all weather liners are a must. Especially up in snow country.

There are times I pick which car to take based on which one has more gas.

before I sold the TLX, I picked based on which one had sat the longest to make sure they would both start instead of having a dead battery.

I rotate based on the weather. I drive my fun cars when it’s sunny and warm and my mundane vehicles when it’s rotten and cold.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited September 2021
    stickguy said:

If you like the orange sounds like a good choice for you.

You may already know this, but the Lariat has the power seat as standard, and so you might not need to get the luxury package. Here's a build of the Lariat with the 2.0T, moonroof, cargo cover, optional paint, and carpet mats. Gets the push-button start and smart entry, power rear window, dual zone climate, 2 rear cubby storage bins, noise reducing windshield, ambient lighting, 18" wheels, upgraded tires (one site I looked at said Michelin Primacy), etc.

• Options
    If I build a Lariat instead and ala carte the options from the luxury package that I still want (that are available) it is about $1,500 more. You get some stuff, but lose the heated seats, car play, and some of the tech stuff. And a few other things I forgot now. So all comes down to which particular feature is most important.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Yeah, the Maverick build page seems complicated and tricky. A few things that you might not expect are standard on even the XL, but then there are some other things, like Adaptive Cruise Control, where you need to not only get a Lariat, but then add on top of that the expensive luxury package.

CarPlay and AndroidAuto are standard on even the base model.

But Blind Spot Monitoring is only available on any trim level by getting Ford Co-Pilot 360, which costs $540.

You can only get XM radio, which I listen to a lot, by getting a Lariat with the Luxury package.

The Alto blue is somehow darker than I expected, as you can see in the video below. I actually do like the Velocity Blue, which is a free color that is seen in the video below that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z87IolE2LOE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhtwMyzBG8Q
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    If I were ordering a Maverick, I could see getting a base XL with the 2.0 turbo and blind spot monitoring. Compared to base vehicles of lower-priced models from 20 years ago it's still pretty well-equipped, and has of course air conditioning, power windows, etc. Plus it has CarPlay/AA. That adds up to only $23,115 with destination, which is a bargain these days.

But for long-term ownership for a vehicle that would be good on a trip, I'd stretch to get the Lariat with the Luxury Package and blis, still including the 2.0 turbo engine. That adds up to $31,950 with destination—still a solid value.

For comparison, an Accord Touring with the 2.0T, which has similar equipment in most areas, has an msrp of $38,000 with destination. But, in contrast, a loaded Civic Touring has an msrp of $29,300. And a Civic EX, which has a turbo engine, moonroof, etc. has an msrp of $25,700. The Civic EX seemingly has almost everything needed, including blind spot monitoring, but you need to get the Touring to also get cross-traffic alert, which I think is a good safety item. Also, you no longer get XM radio on the EX—you need to get the Touring for that. So for the Civic, the Touring would be the choice for me. It does seem shocking to think of a Civic for almost 30k, but Alex on Autos said 0-60 was 6.6, and that the 235 tires on the touring helped give it good handling. Plus it's loaded with fancy features like a Bose sound system with 12 speakers. And it's the size of a BMW 3-series—or an Accord from the mid-1990s.

Anyway, looking at some of the Maverick discussions, it seems like some of the options, like the Tonneau cover, can sometimes delay an order quite a while, and so I'd just wait and get those as dealer installed options later if needed. Getting the 2.0T turbo engine in contrast seems to speed things up a lot, seemingly getting you your truck months faster. The 18" wheels and tires on the Lariat look better than the 17" ones found on other trims, and better tires are also included. With the luxury package on a Lariat you also get a Bang and Olufsen sound system with XM, push button start, ACC, parking sensors, heated seats, heated mirrors, etc. It all adds up, but at this point you've got a powerful luxury vehicle that has a lot of functionality.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266
    @stickguy

For just $20, @benjaminh will be your consultant and broker on this deal!
    We all need someone looking out for us. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Yet another possible Maverick combo.....A top-trim Lariat with the hot rod engine, adding the Pilot360/blind spot monitor, but without the Luxury Package. Tough choices, but it also skips the moonroof, etc. Still, a loaded luxury vehicle with tons of power, with room for 5 and cargo galore. Ford has financing of 1.9% for 60 months right now, and so with a 3k downpayment the monthly payments are $448+ttl, which is actually slightly less than a 7500-mile 3-year lease with 0 down.

• Options
    you spend more time on that site than I do!

that is a drawback to something that doesn't exist on a lot, that you have to order and wait months for. If you pick wrong, going to waste months waiting to find out.

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,987
    The Maverick really is intriguing. The flexibility of its purpose, configuration, available options, pricing make it attractive to a wide audience. I am really interested in what the road tests and reviews reveal.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,565
    corvette said:

Elliott Alvis bought one with needs, which makes for good YouTube content, but not something I'd want to deal with.

Did the spark plugs on the Prius today. Not sure when they were last done, but it definitely needed them. I felt a little silly buying a packet of anti-seize and putting it on the threads, as I seriously doubt anyone will bother to change them again the next time they are due--at 342,000 miles. Also continued cleaning the interior and working on the touch up paint.

It’s always a good idea to use anti-seize on spark plug threads because you yourself might have to look at them if something goes goofy sometime down the road. You’ll pat yourself on the back if that dreaded thing happens.

You done good.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    sda said:

The Maverick really is intriguing. The flexibility of its purpose, configuration, available options, pricing make it attractive to a wide audience. I am really interested in what the road tests and reviews reveal.

I'm surprised by the low pricing. Is it based on the Escape?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    corvette said:

WHOA, why did you only change half of them? :o Oh, I just remembered you have a 4 cylinder car. I’ve got to get it out of my head that folks don’t own V8’s like I’m used to when they’re available.

FWIW, those things needed replaced.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

stickguy said:

tjc78 said:

@stickguy said:

Yes, I have not put gas in the 2nd car for a full 12 months now!

math wise, the extra cost of gas is probably not that significant. Plus some of the miles going on the new car will come off the RDX, which gets crappy mileage to start with, so not going to lose anything there.

and zero chance I give up the moonroof, and I hate slopping up the carpets in the winter so all weather liners are a must. Especially up in snow country.

There are times I pick which car to take based on which one has more gas.

before I sold the TLX, I picked based on which one had sat the longest to make sure they would both start instead of having a dead battery.
    I rotate based on the weather. I drive my fun cars when it’s sunny and warm and my mundane vehicles when it’s rotten and cold.

I taught you good son. B)

jmonroe
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

@stickguy

It's always nice to have someone looking out for you but I'm betting that @benjaminh will look the other way when @stickguy gets the bill. :'(

jmonroe
  • Options
    kyfdx said:

I'm surprised by the low pricing. Is it based on the Escape?

Yes, same platform as that and the Bronco Sport.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

@stickguy

It's always nice to have someone looking out for you but I'm betting that @benjaminh will look the other way when @stickguy gets the bill. :'(

jmonroe
    Well, to save money I'm actually trying to talk stickguy out of some big things, like a moonroof and the luxury package. I've even suggested a base XL with the 2 liter turbo, but stickguy likes his luxuries. If you want to stay under 30K with the Maverick, however, you need to make some tough choices.
  • Options
    @stickguy is NEVER giving up the moonroof.. :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365

My store just took in a 2018 M3- Alpine over Sakhir. Problem is, it’s not a Comp Package car, and I would prefer two fewer doors.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437

@roadburner said:
    My store just took in a 2018 M3- Alpine over Sakhir. Problem is, it’s not a Comp Package car, and I would prefer two fewer doors.

Did you see the 2,400 mile 2002 E46 M3 w/ 6 Speed and 18” Wheels on Cars & Bids? Black/Black.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    nyccarguy said:

@roadburner said:

Did you see the 2,400 mile 2002 E46 M3 w/ 6 Speed and 18” Wheels on Cars & Bids? Black/Black.

yes and wow!!!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Just ordered up some M/T tires. Went with 275/65/20. I ideally wanted 285/60 but couldn't find any I liked for a reasonable price. Getting the Nankang MT-1. Aggressive looking. 2 inches taller overall to fill the wheelwells better. And, yes, I want to take it off road, which is why I'm doing this. We are looking to hit the Myrtle Beach Jeep Jam at the end of October (for one thing) and I realized we probably couldn't even survive the beach crawl on the stock tires. And, yes, I ordered 5.

Nice!! I plan on putting some miles on the OEMs and doing the same thing. They just don’t fill out the wheel well very well.

Pics when mounted!

• Options
    benjaminh said:

Well, to save money I'm actually trying to talk stickguy out of some big things, like a moonroof and the luxury package. I've even suggested a base XL with the 2 liter turbo, but stickguy likes his luxuries. If you want to stay under 30K with the Maverick, however, you need to make some tough choices.

My "config" is a base XL with the 2.0T, AWD, towing package, safety package, all weather floormats, and spray in bedliner. About $25k. Would need an aftermarket cruise control.
  • Options
    @qbrozen - are those for the 4xe? Can you correct the speedometer error? And couldn't you get through the lease without needing to replace the OE tires?
  • Options
    Over at the Mavericktruckclub.com forums some are using humor to help deal with the long waits for their hybrid trucks. There are waits for the 2.0T as well, but not nearly as long.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    qbrozen said:

Just ordered up some M/T tires. Went with 275/65/20. I ideally wanted 285/60 but couldn't find any I liked for a reasonable price. Getting the Nankang MT-1. Aggressive looking. 2 inches taller overall to fill the wheelwells better. And, yes, I want to take it off road, which is why I'm doing this. We are looking to hit the Myrtle Beach Jeep Jam at the end of October (for one thing) and I realized we probably couldn't even survive the beach crawl on the stock tires. And, yes, I ordered 5.

Nice!! I plan on putting some miles on the OEMs and doing the same thing. They just don’t fill out the wheel well very well. I’ll just go with an A/T vs an M/T.

I put Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 07 and really liked them. No noise increase, still rode great and performed much better than the OEM Goodyears when I took it off road.

Pics when mounted!

• Options
    @stickguy

You may have already seen this, but as of a month ago a dealer in Philadelphia was taking Maverick orders for less than msrp. This is from a post at Mavericktruckclub.com.

"Hi Everyone. My name is Ed Simpson. I am the Business Development Manager for Chapman Ford in Philadelphia.

I am now offering 4% under invoice for Maverick new reservations & transfers…plus tax/tags & $394 PA doc…

Feel free to dm/call/email me

esimpson@chapmanautogroup.com
    215-608-0373

Chapman Ford of Philadelphia, 19114 is the zip code

No additional deposit required."
  • Options

Pretty sure the spread between invoice and MSRP is nearly nothing, IIRC. Savings is savings, but probably only amounts to $750-$1000

• Options
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Pretty sure the spread between invoice and MSRP is nearly nothing, IIRC. Savings is savings, but probably only amounts to $750-$1000

Probably less than that.
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,674
    kyfdx said:

@stickguy is NEVER giving up the moonroof.. :D

Maybe he can get it after roadburner rips the one out of his BMW.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited September 2021
    More humor memes from the mavericktruckclub.com forums...
  • Options
    edited September 2021

• Options

• Options
    benjaminh said:

@stickguy

You may have already seen this, but as of a month ago a dealer in Philadelphia was taking Maverick orders for less than msrp. This is from a post at Mavericktruckclub.com.

"Hi Everyone. My name is Ed Simpson. I am the Business Development Manager for Chapman Ford in Philadelphia.

I am now offering 4% under invoice for Maverick new reservations & transfers…plus tax/tags & $394 PA doc…

Feel free to dm/call/email me

esimpson@chapmanautogroup.com
    215-608-0373

Chapman Ford of Philadelphia, 19114 is the zip code

No additional deposit required."

thanks. I had not seen that. Have to give him a call tomorrow.