Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,356
    edited August 2022
    xwesx said:

henryn said:

nyccarguy said:

corvette said:

I don’t think he should have to pay over MSRP on an ordered car. Maybe try calling around. Has he considered the new Sequoia?

I started calling around. Seems the going rate is between $5k & $7K over sticker. There is a broker on LH in NY that will order one at sticker plus a $500 broker fee. He will probably go that route.
    Has he considered how upside down he’ll be if prices suddenly return to normal? Sooner or later they’re bound to.
    We keep telling ourselves that, but is it really true? And if it does happen, which it likely will, how long before that happens? Most of us didn't think the present insanity could or would last as long as it already has.
    I think that "return to normal" will be lower than the peak, but nothing close to what we saw three years ago.
    Depressing. We’d love to replace the X1 relatively soon and, depending on where au94 jr goes to college, we had planned to replace the 328i before he departs. It will be 13 years old and 165k+ miles by graduation in 2024.

So sticker is the new 10% off? No more 10k rebates on F-150’s?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    xwesx said:

Well, I have about 6,000 miles on the Q7 now since the repair, and all seems well thus far. I'm going to change the oil again before I head back north, and probably change it again when I get there depending on the results of the UOA.

Wow, those were quick miles! Glad your hard work paid off.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,460
    :'(
    Michaell said:

Nobody is indespensible around here.

Except maybe us moderators. :grin:

————————————————
    There’s always a deflator roaming around with an ice pick. :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,057
    jmonroe1 said:

:'(

Michaell said:

Nobody is indespensible around here.

Except maybe us moderators. :grin:

————————————————
    There’s always a deflator roaming around with an ice pick. :'(

jmonroe
    Nothing quite so fierce; I tend to use box cutters.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Also test drove a recent model '18 GTI (220 HP).

Wasn't impressed. Felt very soft and lacked any guts. You'd think it would remind me of my old A3, but the Audi was much harder and alive; this GTI is designed for someone that likes peace and quiet and comfort.

The DSG (dual clutch auto) is programmed to be soft even in S mode it's pretty tame. The 2.0T while adequate and speedy, lacks the raw guts needed in a sporty vehicle. Not much engine or exhaust noise to be heard. Maybe it is that cars keep getting heavier and heavier, but a lot of it is likely in the tuning and additional emissions restrictions since the MkV '06 A3.

One thing I'll credit it with is that it did feel very planted, toss-able, and great handler. No problem driving uber-fast on any turn or twisty.

Another thing is that the last few years of my A3 ownership it was tuned with some additional mods. Still, I have a pretty good memory of my first test drive in that '06 A3, and I think it was a better "more fun to drive" car than this '18 GTI SE. Easier to spin the front tires, a more dynamic suspension and particularly transmission tuned car (and the transmission was always factory tuned).

If someone is looking for smoothness, comfort, and quiet, but still some punch to go fast, this might be your ticket. Very refined; too refined IMHO.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited August 2022
    Speaking of great used cars, there's a VEGAS YELLOW TTRS in NJ.

It's at Kia of Riverdale. If you are nearby, feel free to give a 1 to 10 condition rating in all categories, and take a good test drive on my behalf.

It's de-badged in front, which is lame. It's blacked out, which is OK on a yellow car I guess "bumblebee" styling.

If they were willing to take .90 on the dollar I don't think I could say no if the car checks out 9/10 and above in all categories/conditions/maintenance.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,236
    edited August 2022
    I saw a Genesis coupe this evening which appeared to have a Cadillac badge on the grille. Nobody is going to mistake that for a CTS coupe.

I have also seen a red metallic Maverick driving in my area of town several times, which makes me very jealous for some reason! I'm assuming it's the same one because there just aren't that many out there.
    My Saturn L300 was mistaken for a Cadillac, once.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

Michaell said:

————————————————-
    By a drunk I’m sure. :*

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

————————————————-

jmonroe
    Parking attendant, actually.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

@andres3 said:
    Speaking of great used cars, there's a VEGAS YELLOW TTRS in NJ.

It's at Kia of Riverdale. If you are nearby, feel free to give a 1 to 10 condition rating in all categories, and take a good test drive on my behalf.

It's de-badged in front, which is lame. It's blacked out, which is OK on a yellow car I guess "bumblebee" styling.

If they were willing to take .90 on the dollar I don't think I could say no if the car checks out 9/10 and above in all categories/conditions/maintenance.

Tempting, but that’s quite a haul for me. Not to mention I’m heading in the opposite direction tomorrow to the tune of 600 miles.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,559
    breld said:

I know it's anyone's guess on when the car market returns to any semblance of normalcy (whatever that looks like), but to whatever extent it does, I've gotta think the "luxury" items like a 2 seater sports car will be hit the soonest and hardest.

At least, that's what I'm hoping for.

I was listening to a financial report today where they said Cisco Systems was predicting a positive year thanks to a lessening of the chip shortage. Now I don’t know if the chips in servers are the same as in car systems but I took it as a positive sign.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

Michaell said:

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

————————————————-

jmonroe
    Parking attendant, actually.
    ————————————————-
    Same difference.

jmonroe
    “ Does $60K make your eyes glaze over? ”

As somebody who was recently considering a $60k Mach 1 I guess I have to say no but that would still be a big move for me.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited August 2022
    “ Does $60K make your eyes glaze over? ”

When my parents bought their last new car in 2003, they paid around $17-18K (about $27K today), and my dad was apoplectic about it.

I've got a $55K EV on order, and I'm not blinking an eye about it. Not sure if that says more about me or the general state of the market.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

jmonroe1 said:

Michaell said:

————————————————-

jmonroe
    Happens all the time.

https://jalopnik.com/this-may-have-been-the-most-delusional-ford-advertising-1844807583

Got a non-update “update” from Ford last night.

• graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    qbrozen said:

Q….at $55K (which is what the top model goes for), I get your hesitancy. At that price, there are some very attractive alternatives. But, the Sport model, which I ordered, is well below that. Still get the drivetrain that’s in the higher models, and that’s all I care about.

Not the full drivetrain. LSD is missing. That's a huge deal, IMHO. And if going with starter model, both the Mustang GT and Camaro LT1/1SS undercut the Z's starting price. I can't help but keep coming back to that point. The performance/$ just isn't there like it used to be with the Z.
    I get it. But, none of those others are “Z cars”. ;)
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    corvette said:

This is getting laughable. Which suppliers are they talking about? I know chips have caught up with demand.

Why do I get the sneaky suspicion that these supplier issues have more to do with keeping ASP high, and less to do with components?

Quite frankly, in today’s world, if you can’t get a part from one company, there are a dozen more standing in line who would be more than happy to help.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    I got a similar email from VW, as the effects of the IRA are still being sorted out.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

corvette said:

I saw my first Maverick on the road yesterday traveling southbound on the NYS Thruway. It was a battleship grey color and they were hauling some lumber which hung out the back of that short bed almost to the point of falling out.

Say isn’t stickguy’s Maverick dark grey? Maybe that was him.

Thats politician level of talking and saying nothing.

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,889

This is getting laughable. Which suppliers are they talking about? I know chips have caught up with demand.

Have they? I mean, there are several manufacturers cutting features because they can't get the parts needed. They then can't charge for those features. Why would they want to do that if they had a choice? I don't know if it is chips, but it is something. I heard, for example, MB was canceling some Sprinter passenger orders because they couldn't get seats, of all things.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

@graphicguy - the Mav is built in the same plant as the Bronco Sport, which tends to have a higher price. I’m assuming they are prioritizing the baby Bronco.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Michaell said:

I got a similar email from VW, as the effects of the IRA are still being sorted out.

https://tenor.com/view/irs-wwf-irwin-schyster-irswwf-gif-19009086

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

qbrozen said:

Have they? I mean, there are several manufacturers cutting features because they can't get the parts needed. They then can't charge for those features. Why would they want to do that if they had a choice? I don't know if it is chips, but it is something. I heard, for example, MB was canceling some Sprinter passenger orders because they couldn't get seats, of all things.
    I’ve got a friend that has had a Colorado for 6 months. Still waiting on the chip to run his heated seats.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,849
    I said this months ago.. once the chips catch up then all the other suppliers will now be short since they also cut production (out of necessity) due to less cars going through the line. Q’s comment about the seats is one example.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited August 2022

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/814120816234539/

“Perfect car for your YouTube channel!”

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    A few interesting auction ends on C&B yesterday...
    • That Volvo V60 T6 finished at $35k. I know not everyone here was fond of it, but that seems like a steal.
    • I was also following a 2019 MINI JCW Hardtop that ended right after the Volvo...$40,500 for a 15k mile, 4 year old MINI. You can order a new 2023 JCW for that price. But not with a manual anymore...apparently the manual lovers are fierce.
    • A 2003 911 Carrera Coupe, 6 speed manual w/68k miles for $20,500...no evidence of the IMS fix. This is a particularly unloved model, correct?
    • And a 42k mile 2006 RSX Type S. $23,500. I'd consider something like that.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    breld said:

Look at me go! Okay, so 128k of those miles were put on by someone else. :)

I'm so glad you're driving it this much - it also solidifies for me that selling it was the right thing to do.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited August 2022
    corvette said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/814120816234539/

“Perfect car for your YouTube channel!”

Nice of the seller to show that it’s overpriced by several thousand. I also like the ad for the no title Chrysler for $700. You have to wonder about the backstory on that one. Owner lost the paperwork and is too lazy to replace it? Stolen car? Irresponsible relative parked it and took off to the south seas???????????

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    breld said:

A few interesting auction ends on C&B yesterday...

• That Volvo V60 T6 finished at $35k. I know not everyone here was fond of it, but that seems like a steal.
    • I was also following a 2019 MINI JCW Hardtop that ended right after the Volvo...$40,500 for a 15k mile, 4 year old MINI. You can order a new 2023 JCW for that price. But not with a manual anymore...apparently the manual lovers are fierce.
    • A 2003 911 Carrera Coupe, 6 speed manual w/68k miles for $20,500...no evidence of the IMS fix. This is a particularly unloved model, correct?
    • And a 42k mile 2006 RSX Type S. $23,500. I'd consider something like that.
    I was watching that RSX Type S as well as the LJ Wrangler that sold for over $30K. 2 friends of mine have a very similar LJ Jeep Wrangler, except theirs has about 60K miles on it and it is a stick with a soft top. They bought it about 2 years ago.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    tifighter said:
    Do you have a price in mind where you'd jump in on the bidding? It's an easy pickup for you!

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

breld said:

tifighter said:
    Do you have a price in mind where you'd jump in on the bidding? It's an easy pickup for you!
    That's really pretty. Nice options list, too.

Just 2 hours to go, at $51,500. How high do we think?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,333
    kyfdx said:

breld said:

tifighter said:
    That's really pretty. Nice options list, too.

Just 2 hours to go, at $51,500. How high do we think?
    M2 Comp manual in LB Blue? I'll say 61k.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible
    edited August 2022
    I think we'll see mid-60s. It's BaT. Listing shows 643 watchers.

Looking around, I see a 21 Comp, same color and spec with 4K miles in SoCal listed at $67K. Year newer, lower miles.

At $60k it could be compelling. Much above and options widen.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    $63k at least. I'd bid if it was a slicktop.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289

corvette said:

Why do I get the sneaky suspicion that these supplier issues have more to do with keeping ASP high, and less to do with components?

Quite frankly, in today’s world, if you can’t get a part from one company, there are a dozen more standing in line who would be more than happy to help.
    "Chips have caught up with demand" -- I don't think that's true in this case. Car manufacturers are using the more simple, low cost chips, and the chip foundries are for the most part running flat out producing the more expensive chips (CPU's and GPU's for computers, and chips for smart phones). As long as you can run your chip foundry day and night producing high ticket items, and sell every one you produce, why would you switch over to making less expensive simpler chips and make less money?
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
    10 minutes to go.... no updates, yet

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Look who's in the mix!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Ooh it’s getting interesting ….

Might as well.

Unreal... win the auction, but under reserve.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Sad trombone. But not surprised.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,934
    @tifighter Good try, exciting to watch!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Insane … what the heck is the reserve?