Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    edited March 2023

Hardest part of ripping carpet up is getting all the staples out from the padding. We have one bedroom at the shore that is carpet and I’m changing it to LVP. The previous owners did the entire house (except baths and laundry) but omitted the one bedroom. Who knows why. We can’t match the existing laminate so the wife chose something completely different.

I threw in the towel on the ceramic tile for the baths and laundry. Hired a guy to do that. Never ceases to amaze me the wide range of quotes you get. First quote was $5500 without materials. Second guy didn’t want to do it. Third guy was $3600 with a $4/sq ft allowance for materials. Of course the wife drove that up to $4400 since the tile she picked was $8/sq ft.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    ab348 said:

As for the floors, they are 1950s maple. In the LR/DR they are gorgeous and just about perfect. In my bedroom they are almost as nice where the original occupants had a 9x12 rug in the center, but for some reason they put gloss varnish or poly around the perimeter and it doesn’t look quite so good. I think that might be fixable though. The only downside is that I suspect the original finish is amber shellac with wax over it, so I don’t know how long they will stay looking the way they do.

Sounds like you need to get that crew back to refinish the floors before everything gets put back into place!

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    There's only a little bit of carpeting in the Conneaut cottage, but my wife insisted we remove one of them because it looked like it was the favorite peeing spot of the previous owners' cats (and smelled a bit like it, too!). Once removed, it was staple hell! I swear that's where all staples went to die. I spent about four hours on my knees plucking out each one from the hardwood with needlenose pliers.

And, our hardwood looks awful. We'll definitely be covering it with something, because there's no salvaging it.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,394

@qbrozen - saw your Pajero’s twin parked at my office today. Same color, driving lights, turbo diesel etc. such a cool rig.

2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    The guys did a great job of getting out the staples. Over the last week or so I’ve only spotted and had to remove 2 or 3 that they missed. They did a fine job. As for refinishing, I have no plans for that at the moment. They look too nice.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195

Starting to regret my non-CCB decisions last year now that the spool valve on my RDX decided to spring a leak. Just enough oil dripped onto the alternator to cause it to fail, resulting in a pricey fix to get back on the road. I’m at 107k but around 115 I’ll be hitting the 120k service where all the fluids come due at once. Also coming up on a set of tires so it is really feeling like a false economy not having a car payment. Not to mention the question of whether the other bank of cylinders has a similar failure waiting to happen, even if that one won’t take the alternator with it.

This thing is starting to make me think my old Volvo was cheap to maintain, but I knew it was going to become a money pit.

2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    @xwesx - if the hardwood is truly a lost cause, I think you could probably put a high grade vinyl down on top. LVP, as previously mentioned, or there are also sheet vinyls that resemble wood.
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,565
    kyfdx said:

jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

tifighter said:

stickguy said:

gorgeous car but ruined by the wrong transmission.

Agreed. Following for market research purposes.
    More research, perhaps more to your liking:
    https://autobahnusadedham.com/used/BMW/2015-BMW-Z4-eb96eebb0a0e0a9a757d4c3482253729.htm
    that is gorgeous. Almost perfect. No backup camera (or parking sensors), but it does have a CD player! Guess just need to keep the top down at all times.
    How do you know about the backup camera? Because I can't imagine a 2015 BMW without that.

It's gorgeous, though. We had a 2011 model for a month.
    ————————————————
    A month? That sounds like you took a page out of @breld’s car buying guide.

jmonroe
    Leased the car for my wife. She hated it.
    ————————————————
    You didn’t tell us what the replacement was.

jmonroe
    Infiniti G37 sedan. She didn't love that one, either. But, she didn't hate it.
    ————————————————
    Son #1 bought a ‘13 G37 in ‘15 from a dealer in the Cleveland area. He likes it well enough that he still has it. Well, he passed it to his 21 year old not too long ago but it’s still in the family.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    So what does she like?
    ————————————————
    We’re you trying to get him to say ME?

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    au1994 said:

kyfdx said:

henryn said:

kyfdx said:

jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

jmonroe1 said:

kyfdx said:

stickguy said:

tifighter said:

stickguy said:

gorgeous car but ruined by the wrong transmission.

Agreed. Following for market research purposes.
    More research, perhaps more to your liking:
    https://autobahnusadedham.com/used/BMW/2015-BMW-Z4-eb96eebb0a0e0a9a757d4c3482253729.htm
    that is gorgeous. Almost perfect. No backup camera (or parking sensors), but it does have a CD player! Guess just need to keep the top down at all times.
    How do you know about the backup camera? Because I can't imagine a 2015 BMW without that.

It's gorgeous, though. We had a 2011 model for a month.
    ————————————————
    A month? That sounds like you took a page out of @breld’s car buying guide.

jmonroe
    Leased the car for my wife. She hated it.
    ————————————————
    You didn’t tell us what the replacement was.

jmonroe
    Infiniti G37 sedan. She didn't love that one, either. But, she didn't hate it.
    So what does she like?
    She's on her third X3, now.

I feel like we are talking about our kids…”I didn’t realize Jr was that old now? I can’t believe Susie is in college”

I can’t believe it was ‘11 when the Z4 deal happened and I lost track that y’all were on your 3rd X3.
    ————————————————
    And I can’t believe that it seemed like yesterday that my youngest grandson (number 4) was born. Now he’s about to get his drivers license.

Just enjoy the ride. You can’t buy a ticket to do it again.

jmonroe
  • Options

henryn said:

Our outside key pad finally gave up the ghost last year so we had a new one installed. Like not having to use the front door to be honest though I still keep a house key on each key chain just in case the power goes out as when that happens, our Genie garage opener is inoperative until I unplug the plug & re-insert it. Crazy if you ask me and none of our Sears units ever had this happen to them. When I asked the folks at Genie why this is happening, no one could answer me which I found very strange. Obviously it must be a built in safety hazard or something but still, very confusing & frustrating as I have to pull the ladder out & climb it to get to the power plug.

On another note, our pharmacist daughter has informed us that she's planning on moving to the Orlando area within the next two years, wants to be working there sometime in 2025. Has decided not to purchase a property here in South Florida which was her original plan. Not surprised with this plan as she wants to live closer to her sister & brother-in-law. So, looks like we'll be moving to Central Florida when she does or soon after. Have no reason to stay down in this area if both girls are living in the center of the state. After living here so long, moved down in October of 1969, will be very strange to pick up & move to a whole new area. I knew she was thinking about this but figured she'd against that & put down permanent roots here. Moving is not something I look forward to as I've accumulated a lot of "stuff" over these past 36 years & have a lot of purging to do. Just not something I'm looking forward to...I'm a bit of a saver of things so this purging will be hard! But, it's probably something that's long overdue!

I have been in this house for 12 years now, and I have accumulated far too much junk. But on the other hand, I'm not planning on moving. I couldn't possibly live anywhere else as cheaply as I'm living here. No mortgage, unbelievably low property taxes, just basically pay the utilities.

I’ve been in the same house for 40 years. Back around 2008 we wanted to sell and move to Florida but the developers kept low balling us. Now we’re just fixing the place up so the kids have a nice place to live in or sell.

Yesterday, as we were sitting down with a bathroom renovator there was a knock at the door. It was a real estate agent wondering if we were still interested in selling. What a coincidence.
    ————————————————
    No it isn’t. That’s because you didn’t turn off Alexis or your phone.

jmonroe
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    nyccarguy said:

Not a punch, but new car day for my Dad tomorrow. The 2023 Tahoe RST we ordered for him came in. This Tahoe is the 3rd he’s bought from this one stand alone Chevy dealer in Darien, CT. The last one was the 2015 he leased from them. I called up, spoke to the same salesman who sold us the 2015. He took our order and didn’t even ask for a deposit because we are repeat customers. Called us to tell us that no Tahoes were being built with the “Max Tow Package,” so we changed it. He called when it was built and shipped, then when it came in the other day. I’m proud that it’s being bought at a local, family owned dealership and not some mega conglomerate.

Thank-you @Michaell & @kyfdx for the info on the “cheap” financing rate. 5.99% is a tough pill to swallow (it is cheap compared to what’s out there) when his current 2018 Yukon was financed at 0% for 60 months.

How much was the Yukon worth in trade, with over 100K on it?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,365
    Not gonna lie; if this was about $10k less it would be replacing the Mini and possibly the Wrangler...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558

I can’t wait to see what ford offers on the maverick in 2-3 months. I’m betting it won’t be 0% again!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options

@roadburner said:
    Not gonna lie; if this was about $10k less it would be replacing the Mini and possibly the Wrangler...

A 20 YO rover? You must be looking for excitement in your life.

• Options
    stickguy said:

@roadburner said:

A 20 YO rover? You must be looking for excitement in your life.

————————————————
    Yeah. I was thinking the same thing. He probably knows a way to sue them for excessive rack time and overall owner aggravation.

jmonroe
  • Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    nyccarguy said:

Not a punch, but new car day for my Dad tomorrow. The 2023 Tahoe RST we ordered for him came in. This Tahoe is the 3rd he’s bought from this one stand alone Chevy dealer in Darien, CT. The last one was the 2015 he leased from them. I called up, spoke to the same salesman who sold us the 2015. He took our order and didn’t even ask for a deposit because we are repeat customers. Called us to tell us that no Tahoes were being built with the “Max Tow Package,” so we changed it. He called when it was built and shipped, then when it came in the other day. I’m proud that it’s being bought at a local, family owned dealership and not some mega conglomerate.

Thank-you @Michaell & @kyfdx for the info on the “cheap” financing rate. 5.99% is a tough pill to swallow (it is cheap compared to what’s out there) when his current 2018 Yukon was financed at 0% for 60 months.

Congrats on the Tahoe! They are nice vehicles, I loved mine. Interest rates are insane right now! We swallowed 8.5% at the Audi dealer just to get the deal done but will refinance in a month or so with our local CU. I miss the days of 2.5%!
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,437
    Michaell said:

nyccarguy said:

How much was the Yukon worth in trade, with over 100K on it?
    From the few pics I sent, the dealer offered $20K. Said he would come up more upon a physical inspection. Got offers from Carvana ($20,116), Vroom ($18,288), Carmax ($22,600), & AlGo which offered $24,200 and then came up to $25K.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928

Brand new 2023 Camry SE…. Come on Toyota do better

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,316
    jmonroe1 said:

So what does she like?

————————————————
    We’re you trying to get him to say ME?

jmonroe

That would have been a lie..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

Camry looks like user error. The key blade goes in the slot!

• Options

@qbrozen said:

@roadburner said:

You had a chance to bid on a similarly capable but infinitely more reliable SUV recently. Just sayin. ;b

RHD is a deal killer- for me at any rate.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

The dealer has addressed most of the chronic issues on the Discovery including the big ticket item(head gaskets). I wouldn’t drive it more than 5,000-6,000 miles per year and anyway, I’d rather have an interesting $10k vehicle that costs more to run as opposed to an anodyne $20k penalty box that bores me to death at the mere thought of getting behind the wheel.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I can’t wait to see what ford offers on the maverick in 2-3 months. I’m betting it won’t be 0% again!

I think they are still locking incentives to your order date, so it should be whatever was available at the time you placed your 2023 order, unless the current rates are better.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    tjc78 said:

I'm surprised keyless isn't standard on all Camry trim levels. Both my GF as well as my neighbor have current generation models with the SE trim level, and they both have the flip key and no BSM. I also think the SE is the volume trim level (as opposed to the LE or XLE), because I see a lot of them on the road.
  • Options

@corvette said:
    I'm surprised keyless isn't standard on all Camry trim levels. Both my GF as well as my neighbor have current generation models with the SE trim level, and they both have the flip key and no BSM. I also think the SE is the volume trim level (as opposed to the LE or XLE), because I see a lot of them on the road.

The only vehicles I have that use keys are the Club Sport and the Wrangler. I almost always get seated behind the wheel, put on my seat belt and remember that the key is still in my pocket…

• Options
    edited March 2023
    @corvette
    Looks like the LE and SE models don't have push-button start standard. You have to buy an option package to get it. The higher trim models all have it standard.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    stickguy said:

Camry looks like user error. The key blade goes in the slot!

I had exactly the same thought. Not sure what is being shown here otherwise. My subaru has a key. I've come to the realization that I prefer it. No annoying dashboard messages telling me it doesn't detect a fob or to not forget it when I leave the car.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    You're forgetting that the Camry is the new Buick for many of a certain advanced age. A pushbutton start would flummox those folks.

• Options

@corvette said:
    I think they are still locking incentives to your order date, so it should be whatever was available at the time you placed your 2023 order, unless the current rates are better.

I think they were rack rate back then too. I was not intending to finance this time anyway. Unless there was another 0% option which there isn’t. I don’t think ford has any incentives at all on the maverick.

• Options

Push button start was one big reason I went to a lariat over an XLT. I couldn’t go back at this point. Well, I could, but I don’t want to.

• Options
    Better park that Santa Fe or Santa Cruz outside for a while. Another Hyundai recall:

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/hyundai-kia-recall-fire-park-outside/

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389

The dealer has addressed most of the chronic issues on the Discovery including the big ticket item(head gaskets). I wouldn’t drive it more than 5,000-6,000 miles per year and anyway, I’d rather have an interesting $10k vehicle that costs more to run as opposed to an anodyne $20k penalty box that bores me to death at the mere thought of getting behind the wheel.

If the head gasket is done I’d strongly consider it. Good looking rig and gas mileage that would make my old Land Cruiser blush 😆

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Rental? Even if thats so, I’d expect the SE to have push button. I could see it on the LE.

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    We both don't have push button start and am sorry now. If I had gone with the SEL back in 2014, I'd have gotten the push button start. At the time, didn't care for it but now, wish I had it. And that's my one big regret with this Golf, should've gone with the SEL even though it had larger 18" alloys & the push button start. The seats were a bit better too with a longer bottom cushion, again, something else I did like. I guess my wanting to keep the price in check was the reason I played the conservative card then. And after the Tucson fiasco, thought I would've learned! But now, going forward, am no longer going to hold myself back. Just like with our latest television, spending the extra & getting a better product was the way to go & have had no regrets whatsoever. So with my next vehicle, not going to let the price dictate what trim & options I get. I won't just spend to spend but, will not limit myself any longer & have buyers remorse later. As much as I don't want to spend $30K or more, if I find exactly what I want, I will make it happen. I've settled on so many things my whole life & seems crazy now in hind site. No more settling on something that will give me infinite joy whenever I see it or use it!
    Did see some more pics of the new 2024 Kona and really do think it could be the one. Love the exterior looks & think the interior appointments are fantastic. Having all the safety nannies will be a welcome change for me and if I read it correctly, Bose products will be used for the infotainment system. And there will also be a hybrid model which could be the model for me. So, will be patient and start squirreling away any extra cash I get so I will be able to finance less.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    edited March 2023
    au1994 said:

If the head gasket is done I’d strongly consider it. Good looking rig and gas mileage that would make my old Land Cruiser blush 😆
    It also has new brake pads, tires, a new battery, plug wires, and P/S pump. I don't think they will drop to $10k, sadly.

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    Ford says they lost $34K per EV delivered in 2022.

Let's just let that number sink in for a little bit.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options

au1994 said:

It also has new brake pads, tires, a new battery, plug wires, and P/S pump. I don't think they will drop to $10k, sadly.
    Can’t hurt it ask. Thats a whole lot of maintenance already covered.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    tifighter said:

Its been a while since college but I don’t think thats a good business plan. What’s driving the loss?

• Options
    tifighter said:

And yet, they are all in on EV. I think the loss is more a function of low volume, so far. They are investing over $10B in battery joint ventures in TN and KY. If they can eventually crank out enough F-150s and Mach-Es to meet demand, that should take care of itself. (plus, the other EVs in the pipeline)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,606
    One take-

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    qbrozen said:

Not mine no more. Payment received.

While I'm glad it was not all for naught, I have to say that I'm a little disappointed. LOL
  • Options
    I didn't keep a full tally, but I'm still seeing a lot of new Ford vehicles scattered across random vacant lots near Louisville, I assume due to supply constraints. Saw a bunch of trucks in Radcliff and (I think) some Escapes in Brandenburg.
  • Options
    @tifighter

That's interesting.

EV is 3.3% of total volume vs. 1.4% a year ago. Scale is everything.

Ford is definitely not having cash issues. Special dividend of $1.8B paid to shareholders, last month. (on top of their regular $600M quarterly dividend)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    corvette said:

@xwesx - if the hardwood is truly a lost cause, I think you could probably put a high grade vinyl down on top. LVP, as previously mentioned, or there are also sheet vinyls that resemble wood.

Yeah, it's not something we can reasonably repair because there are a couple places where there were large holes hacked in it, and it looks like it was laid down under the walls, so it is just very, very difficult to work with (and I'm nervous about just cutting it out of there, because I strongly suspect it provides a fairly significant amount of shear resistance to the overall structure). In addition, it's all rough cut lumber, so the thickness is awkward to try matching with something else if I just wanted to focus on the heavily damaged parts.

We have so much work to do on that house, though, that finished flooring is probably near the bottom of the list!
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    seems like typical accounting magic. Front load all the expenses.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S