Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    edited July 2023

@tifighter
    Have you tried the XC90? Pretty sure there are discounts to be had on those. We love ours and aside from warped rotors zero issues

Drives much smaller than it is, powerful (T6 is a must) and pretty roomy. Can also really load it up if desired.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,590
    nyccarguy said:

My 16 year old son has a road test appointment this Friday!

————————————————
    Good luck to him. Just make sure he knows to keep the front bumper from going over the line at stop signs.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    I found the MDX to be a great compromise, which may be unfair to characterize it in that way…it offers a more premium and sporty experience for not a lot of money over the nicer trims of the Pilot/Telluride/Highlander offerings.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,895
    tifighter said:

xwesx said:

Sounds like what you really need is a Telluride or Ascent. Pay less, get more utility, and maybe even a non-greyscale color!

The ADM on the Kia is even worse than the Pilot. And they don't have center latch anchors.
    xwesx said:

But, then, I've never been any good at being a CCB.

Some days are hard. But you have to put the work in everyday, y'know?
    I was going to mention the Ascent too but since we have one, I held back. You should at least look at one, maybe even drive one.

I've been through the same thing you are working on now.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,109
    If you can wait for it, and are OK with Hyundai, the new Santa Fe looks both big and cool.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,700
    nyccarguy said:

My 16 year old son has a road test appointment this Friday!

Butter hurry and get that not too exciting but safe and reliable car for him. Something like this:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/bridgeport-2005-buick-lesaber/7635126813.html

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,674
    tjc78 said:

@oldfarmer50 said:

Butter hurry and get that not too exciting but safe and reliable car for him. Something like this:

https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/bridgeport-2005-buick-lesaber/7635126813.html

I truly believe that is the perfect high school beater (I said it earlier). It’s even old man gold. They run forever even poorly and will take plenty of abuse, curb hits, etc.

Yeah it’s not great for his image but I’m sure we all remember the line from Ferris, it is better than no car

“It’s not a piece of sh**”

“It is a piece of sh**, Don't worry about it, I don't even have a piece of sh**, I have to envy yours.”

But Ferris got a computer! Which allowed him to decrease the number of absences he had.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options

@Michaell said:
    But Ferris got a computer! Which allowed him to decrease the number of absences he had.

And a sweet Carver and Audiosource stereo system.

• Options
    tjc78 said:

@Michaell said:

And a sweet Carver and Audiosource stereo system.

OK, that doesn't mean much to me, but I'm sure you audiophiles were salivating over it..... :smile:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,445

I’m starting to see more 2022/2023 WRX on the road. While I think the older body style is much nicer, looking, the newer one is growing on me. The plastic cladding blends in nicely with the black and the dark gray. And it even looks OK on world rally blue.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited July 2023
    tifighter said:

xwesx said:

Sounds like what you really need is a Telluride or Ascent. Pay less, get more utility, and maybe even a non-greyscale color!

The ADM on the Kia is even worse than the Pilot. And they don't have center latch anchors.
    xwesx said:

About 25 years ago a bunch of us guys took a week long golf trip thru Nebraska. We were driving 2 almost new mini vans, a Toyota and a Honda. I did a lot of the driving and remember how shocked and delighted I was at how well those mini vans (fully loaded) drove on the interstates, and how much they would hold. etc. My daily driver back then was a BMW 3 series, so I had a good appreciation of how a car drove.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,611
    I'd be down for a Sienna, if they were available anywhere on planet Earth. The only other awd van is the Pacifica. :/

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• Options
    houdini1 said:

tifighter said:

xwesx said:

xwesx said:

About 25 years ago a bunch of us guys took a week long golf trip thru Nebraska. We were driving 2 almost new mini vans, a Toyota and a Honda. I did a lot of the driving and remember how shocked and delighted I was at how well those mini vans (fully loaded) drove on the interstates, and how much they would hold. etc. My daily driver back then was a BMW 3 series, so I had a good appreciation of how a car drove.
    Sand Hills?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    edited July 2023
    Regarding that new Hyundai Santa Fe, I am simultaneously confused and impressed at with how they seem to approach each vehicle's design individually, without attempting to maintain a family resemblance. Most other manufacturers would likely update the Santa Fe to be a 3/4 size Palisade.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,400
    I was thinking I could see some resemblance to the Ioniq 5 - kinda.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options

@tifighter said:
    I'd be down for a Sienna, if they were available anywhere on planet Earth. The only other awd van is the Pacifica. :/

Siennas are available, you just might have to travel outside of your area

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Yes. But not the Platinum. Platinums are only available on Pluto.

• Options
    tifighter said:

Yes. But not the Platinum. Platinums are only available on Pluto.

For some reason the idea of Toyota yeeting a Sienna into space is highly amusing.
  • Options
    Swagger Capsule.

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Michaell said:

houdini1 said:

tifighter said:

xwesx said:

xwesx said:

Sand Hills?
    Sand Hills opened in 1994, so it was open when we made that trip around 2001 or so. Didn't make it to that one since it is strictly private. I think there are ways you can play without being a member, etc. and at certain times of the year, but you have to get permission and make reservations way in advance. Nebraska has a surprising number of really good golf courses, most being private daily fee courses open to the public. Wild Horse and Quarry Oaks are a couple I remember.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    houdini1 said:

Michaell said:

houdini1 said:

tifighter said:

xwesx said:

xwesx said:

Sand Hills?
    Sand Hills opened in 1994, so it was open when we made that trip around 2001 or so. Didn't make it to that one since it is strictly private. I think there are ways you can play without being a member, etc. and at certain times of the year, but you have to get permission and make reservations way in advance. Nebraska has a surprising number of really good golf courses, most being private daily fee courses open to the public. Wild Horse and Quarry Oaks are a couple I remember.
    It's been a while since I've paid attention to the courses in NE, but I know the terrain is amenable to some great courses.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,396
    Just get the Expedition or Tahoe and go big! :smiley:

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options

• Options
    nyccarguy said:
    There is a pretty good Outback group on FB who might be able to offer advice on what to get, what to look out for, etc.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,809
    tifighter said:

Yeah, same here. And, not even used ones are available on this planet unless you're willing to pay new + ADM on those!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    nyccarguy said:
    Gold one is probably just that for the generation. With all the recent work, the price really is pretty good, too. The interior looks far more loved on the white one, but they don't share any undercarriage on it, and the look of the aluminum corrosion on the engine doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

The undercarriage of the gold one, frankly, looks good! I mean, it looks like the undercarriage of my Forester, which has seen far less harness from its ten winters than from even just one NE winter.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    nyccarguy said:
    Interesting pricing strategy on one of those, the internet price is higher than the retail. I never saw charging you more for shopping online be called a savings.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Whoa! I just checked the dealer website here in Fairbanks, and they list a Sienna Platinum, good color combo, MSRP + winterization (standard here for dealers)...

@tifighter Long shot, but if you decided to bite, I could drive it down to you. We're leaving here on 8/11 for our annual Ohio trip.

(the car would have 2,200 miles upon arrival)
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    that is quite an offer! I do wonder if it is really available or only showing as inventory but actually a special order that is incoming.
  • Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,590
    nyccarguy said:
    ————————————————
    It sounds like you are seriously considering a Subie. Mrs. j has had 2 Legacy Limited 6 cylinder jobs and they’ve been great but we don’t put a lot of miles on them (less than 30K miles) so at those miles they should be great. However, I suspect they’d be OK even when miled up.

BTW, if you buy the white one make sure you tell them you want the retail price don’t fall for the internet price.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options

I saw that too with the white one. The gold one has caught my eye due to the recent amount of maintenance & repairs. I called and spoke to the guy who claimed he drove it home from Long Island and it is very tight and smooth. It was bought from a dealer before they sent it to auction.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,345
    @nyccarguy,
    We're going to be in Hatteras next week.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,886
    Milwaukee for me..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

Milwaukee for me..

Are you ticking off the Midwest, one city at a time?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    @kyfdx,
    Picking up your new Harley? :p
  • Options

@explorerx4 said:
    @nyccarguy,

Awesome! We are going to Nags Head!

• Options

@nyccarguy said:

@explorerx4 said:
    @nyccarguy,

Awesome! We are going to Nags Head!

Enjoy your vacation! Glad to hear my wife and I aren’t the only ones who warp rotors on our SUVs.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,277
    edited July 2023
    The only vehicles I've had which had rotor issues were:
    1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT - my first car, brakes were likely undersized, can also blame previous owner because it was used, didn't fix because I traded it in.
    2003 BMW 540i M-sport - also used, rotors cracked because they weren't replaced at the same time as pads by previous owner. Replaced front rotors.
    2007 Toyota Prius - based on Carfax, likely still on the original pads and rotors at 220,000 miles. Replaced pads and rotors.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

that is quite an offer! I do wonder if it is really available or only showing as inventory but actually a special order that is incoming.

Oh, good question. I can drive by on my way home to take a look.

And, the drive would be no problem, since we're already coming down. It's a *bit* out of the way, but not terribly so since my whole family is spread across the region. Gives me an excuse to stop in to say hello since we would otherwise skip it this year. Or, if he wanted to take a quick road trip, we could meet further east, like in Spokane, Sand Point, or Wallace (tiny old mining town in ID along I-90 that we like), which is even less out of the way.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    @nyccarguy,
    Keep heading south for just over 60 miles to get to Hatteras.
  • Options
    Mah, dang. I forgot to drive through the lot when I left work. I was literally 200 meters away. /sigh
  • Options
    corvette said:

The only vehicles I've had which had rotor issues were:
    1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT - my first car, brakes were likely undersized, can also blame previous owner because it was used, didn't fix because I traded it in.
    2003 BMW 540i M-sport - also used, rotors cracked because they weren't replaced at the same time as pads by previous owner. Replaced front rotors.
    2007 Toyota Prius - based on Carfax, likely still on the original pads and rotors at 220,000 miles. Replaced pads and rotors.

That brings back bad memories of my wife’s PT Cruiser which needed new rotors like clockwork every 10k miles. I gave it to my son at 50k miles and even he was sick of it by 62k miles when we sold it.

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,396
    edited July 2023
    Finally got the 4xe in to fix the issue with it not going into hybrid mode. Turns out it needs some type of cooling pump.

This dealer does give loaners no questions asked unlike another one I contacted. I got a Grand Cherokee L. It’s in the base Laredo trim. I really want to like it but it’s just, meh. Power is good, not great. Ride is very good though. It’s just ok comfort wise. Maybe a higher end trim would be better. I’m not a large guy and it ‘feels’ tight to me. Maybe it’s a mental thing as it’s all black interior which I don’t care for. Since it’s the 3 row there is plenty of cargo room and it has captains chairs for the 2nd row. Quality of the interior materials seems good for the price of the base model and the infotainment is virtually the same as in my Wrangler. I am supposed to get my Jeep back tomorrow and am WFH today and tomorrow so I didn’t bother to hook my phone up and play with the system that much.

Overall, it’s ok. I had hoped it would move to the top of the list to replace the X1 or Wrangler and it might in an upper trim but a lot like the Kia/Hyundai pair when you option them up they loose their value proposition real quick.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,886
    Milwaukee for me..
    Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

Milwaukee for me..

Are you ticking off the Midwest, one city at a time?
    Going to see the Reds play the Brewers, then a White Sox game on the way home.

@kyfdx,
    Picking up your new Harley? :p

Nope, no desire. Pretty to look at. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,593

Gold Subaru looks clean. Can tell that did not live in western NY salt belt! Still seems pricey for the age and miles.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,109
    I didn't know that Ford had changed the IP in the Mustang from the one used in the 2023...

...to this one found in the 2024 model:

Not sure it is an improvement.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,968
    no, that's pretty bad. As if visibility isn't bad enough, they gotta stick a screen up in the windshield. And the climate controls looks like an aftermarket stickon. It appears the handbrake is going to be quite an annoyance and possibly a deal-breaker for some if it impedes on comfort.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S