Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,563

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    That's a nice car for $25K & change. You think $23,500 + TTL takes it home?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I know it's a day late & a dollar short, but I saw the following ad in the local classifieds this AM:

Subaru WRX, 2002, Silver Hatchback, 147.5K miles, no performance modifications, 5-speed trans, extra set of wheels w/ snow tires. $6500

Kinda pricey for an almost 12 year old car, but we saw 1st hand what the market for these was last year.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990
    Sounds like a fun car. With all wheel drive, that has to be attractive as winter approaches. I would be wary of a Subaru with that kind of mileage unless service records are available. I have had several colleagues have expensive repairs on their Subarus as mileage breaks 100k. Seems they don't go the distance as trouble free as a Honda, Toyota, etc. You pays your monies and takes your chances..

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,679
    edited November 2013
    "...147.5k miles...$6500..."

Yikes! I wouldn't pay that much for a Rolls Royce with that kind of milage.

The yuppie set must have a lot of spare change. Kudos to Subie for a great advertising campaign. They are right up there with Jeep in establishing a car as defining a lifestyle.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,435
    No mods would be amazing, because most of those cars have had extensive turbo mods...

That's just a bunch of miles, though...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The mods are sitting in the corner of the guy's garage. :)
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,433
    CT200h takes 87 - salesman told me when I test drove it a month ago.

147k in 11 years isn't so bad.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,435
    "salesman told me "

Oooooo kay.. ;-)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Would love to hear what you thought about it as I really did like it and could live with that low end lack of torque...not too many times when I need to floor it. The lux of it was just what I want actually as I felt one with the vehicle...not like I was just sitting in a front seat, it was a more "personal" driving experience. I know you guys know what I am talking about here, that point when you really feel connected to the vehicle. It does check all the boxes for me but still, I do want to hear your thought.

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Have you tried a 1 Series yet? I was very impressed with the one I drove, really was incredible to touch the gas and go! The grey over grey was a nice combo but the white over grey was really outstanding and I know the battery problem was a fluke really. But the salesguy was a bit "too pushy" for me actually as on something like this, it's just best to sit back and let the customer be...he heard me but didn't listen and definitely didn't read my body language. If he had, he would've pulled back and just let me be as I told him I wasn't buying that day or in the next few days. He really blew it with me and doubt I will go back for a bit. And I know this, there are plenty of vehicles out there and eventually I will find what I want...that "moment of clarity" I speak about will eventually happen and when it does, I will pull the trigger then and there. Give them my credit card and come back with the rest of the cash as we refuse to bring home a vehicle the same day. I always want it detailed and the alignment checked out and always call the insurance guy and give him the vin number. Won't do it any other way and have been lucky up to now that every dealer has accepted this condition. If not, we usually walk...and then we get the call back within minutes!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Sandy - here are my thoughts on the CT200h.

Like you, the idea of a luxury hatch is intriguing. The wife doesn't like sedans. The model I drove had the nav package and was priced around $36-37k.

Inside, I liked the luxury features, especially the configurable dash. The different drive modes allowed decent acceleration when getting on the highway, and good fuel economy around town.

I wouldn't consider it very sporty, but that isn't the mission as I see it. Comfortable to sit in, ok room in the back seat, ok room in the hatch area.

Bottom line is that they're pretty expensive new, but mid 20's for a used one is good value.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    It probably also has the Atkinson cycle engine?
  • Options
    Yes, the Lexus has the Atkinson cycle engine.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Ya, just looked them up, both the Prius, Camry and CT uses 87. Pretty sure I read somewhere that the Camry uses the Atkinson cycle. I think it is the type engine most hybrids go for, even larger luxury brands.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,269
    If it never had any performance mods, it would be worth a lot more to me than one with a fart can muffler and other junk on it.
  • Options
    I also seem to recall that the V6 TSX I had as a loaner got surprisingly similar gas mileage compared to my 4cyl considering it weighed 250 lbs more & had an extra 80 hp.

• Options
    Saw a few nice TSX's last week at the Acura store and really liked the 2008 grey one with just under 69k on the clock. The newer model is a bit too big for me but the ILX is just perfect. Need to drive one and compare it to the Verano I got to drive last week...I liked it a lot as it felt very upscale and not anything like it's Cruze cousin. Have a feeling the ILX will be a great driver also and do prefer the interior layout as the Buick's was a bit busy...the ILX looked just about right. The price is right on both of these also so maybe the used CT isn't the direction I need to be going in. Haven't owned a Buick since our '81 Skylark and wouldn't have a problem owning one to be perfectly honest though I prefer the Acura.

The Sandman

• Options
    well, from just looking at the asking prices, I don't think they will go that low. It still has 2+ years and 40K+ miles of BtoB warranty on it.

walk in with 25K and dump it on the table, + TTL, and I doubt they let you leave.

• Options
    Anyone noticed (and believe) the news that used car prices are falling?

Used Volvo sales, for example, are supposedly soft, making for good buys.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Prices for used cars are dropping but not for the make, model and year at the top of your list. Seems we all want the same thing.
  • Options
    lol, funny how that works.
  • Options
    took advantage of the warm weather yesterday (well, it was in the 50s, so warm enough!) to wash both of "my"cars (my son can do the TL), and I did the wheels, clay bar, and a wax job on the Volvo. That one looks much better know that it is all shiny and smooth.

did the inside windows on the RDX too. What a difference! I guess that was quite overdo.

• Options
    ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    Anyone noticed (and believe) the news that used car prices are falling?

Yes, they are falling. But they are still quite a bit higher than they used to be (relative to the price of new cars). Most late model used cars are still priced too high, so that the buyer would be better off just buying new. The main exception would probably be on the higher end models (Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, etc).
  • Options
    Agreed. I also think the "low end" is still too high. Beater cars that used to sell for $500 - $750 are going for $2K - $2500.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    "better off just buying new"

The list of cars that are cheaper to buy new is still quite long.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    well, at some point, we just have to accept the new world order. The US dollar is not what it used to be, the average new car price has gone up considerably, and the economy has forced more people to buy cheap. So beaters are in higher demand all around.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    well said

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,367
    Still, I wanted to mention that eighteen years ago I picked up my brand new 1995 318ti Club Sport from Fields BMW in Chicago.

Am I ever going to sell it?

Get serious.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    "...used car prices are falling..."

Maybe for you swells buying top tier lightly used almost new cars. Down in the Craigslist trenches where I shop, the beaters are more expensive than ever.

Before cash for clunkers you could get a running car for a thousand bucks. Now $3k is hardly enough to avoid a milage or repair nightmare.

The market distortion that program caused should be long gone but it's not.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Congrats & happy new car day birthday to the "club sport."

• Options
    Have officially called off the search at this juncture, as I really don't need to do it, just want to. Think I should wait a bit, then decide next year what to do. By then I'll have the funds in the account and can go from there. Might be better to buy a new one and finance part of it. I am not really too sad either on my decision...the timing is just not right!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    Aye, one of my wacky (well, not on this board!) plans is to buy a "Winter Beater." In reviewing a couple of Mitsubishis ('03 Outlander AWD and Galant FWD, same BHPH dealer), the dealer noted that all his prices were up at least $1000 from "normal."

Warm weather in Boston area has somewhat curbed any sense of urgency to figure out what to do about my no go in snow car situation... Maybe it won't snow this year. Yeah, I'll go with that.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    You guys are giving me hope at least for getting lots of dough for my minivan one of these days (er, years). :)
  • Options
    Went back to Carmax to test the car and though it did drive very nicely, just not sure. Did the numbers on a brown over black unit in Ft. Myers with just over 19k on it and it's $27k plus tax, fees and a warranty if desired. They only offered me $7k on my Civic which is too low so am just gonna sit back and wait. Can get a new Verano or ILX if I am going to spend that kind of cash and have brand new and full warranty. I would miss out on the 43/40 mileage but hey, I would have brand new which is pretty cool in and of itself. Leaning towards the ILX just because it's an Acura, and bet for a base auto tranny unit, I'd be paying even less than the Lexus. So best to hold off and wait since I just put some cash into the Civic and just hit 47k this morning. My oldest told me to do what I want while the wife and middle kid think I am totally nuts to do anything...but they just do not get it. Hey, maybe getting the black drop top is the way to go! Seriously, waiting is the best thing to do right now as I am really just not sure and hate to swap the wheels, take out the amp and spend all that $ when I am not 100% in here...more like 70% and that just ain't good enough!
    Just got my refurbished smart phone in the mil, called last night and they over nighted it for free! Need to get to the store and have them switch stuff for me now. It is always something!!!

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,800
    Hahaha; that's a great way to look at it, Steve! :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,736
    Sandy, I am currently in analysis paralysis myself. My father/brother are telling me to grow up and trade the current ride for a sensible pair of shoes that I can drive 52 weeks/yr. But, currently I just so enjoy the ride and, having saved a long time for it, as well as new tires and recent brakes, am reluctant to say adios, amigo.

Hence, Plan B: The Winter Beater! But, do I want to take a chance on a 100,000+ mile used car to take me (and hopefully, someday...) other's to Maine/NH/Vermont skiing and back? As well as another insurance policy and maintenance of said beater? The paralysis continues, while the supply of '13s and their sizeable rebates dwindles...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Yep, we are in the same place, and all I know is I want to do something. Just spoke to a guy in a new Verano and he liked it...a lot and said I should be able to score one for about $19.5k to $20k all day long and sure the ILX could be had for maybe $22k...makes much more sense than a used Lexus actually. I like both with the Acura a bit more but the Buick really is pretty nice and doesn't feel Cruzy at all...a nice job by Buick actually. Don't see many of either on the street which could help me score one for a decent price. Seems the Civic is worth more to me and bet a lot in the private sector where it really is a cream puff! Just not sure what to do so I sit and wait. The CT drove nicely today but best to spend less to get more(new) actually. This way I get color combo I choose and have a full warranty. A win/win really and this way, I can wait till my cash comes in so I can write a check and not finance unless rates are so low that it's better to invest. Since we have stellar credit, bet my Fico is over 800, low interest rate should be a no brainer here. So my paralysis has set in now as I sit and think and wait.
    Logical thing is to just wait till maybe next year and revisit this...i can earn some interest in the mean time and buy some muni bonds which the wife would rather me do...tax free ones which I will do. But, will still consider a new ride with some of the funds as I still plan to work and can use those funds to pay anything I finance. And if they come back with 0% financing, I'd probably jump at that time. Anyways, I prefer even year numbered vehicles anyways...my 2003 Sentra was a disaster and my 1979 Datsun 210 was a money pit towards the end there. All of my even numbered ones except that horrible 1976 Izuzu Opel was horrible, a 1st year model with a/c gremlins...bad investment all the way around which I blame my dad for...his quest for a bargain superceeded my wants and needs. And truthfully, this Civic is pretty outstanding so far though there were some 1st year model issues, a mistake not to be repeated ever again!
    Best to do nothing at this point! But I feel your pain. luckily, I do not have to do anything right now.

The Sandman

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Buy these new because they hold their value well, but don't expect to pick a used one up "cheap". Accent, Mazda3, Camaro, Vette, Avalon, Soul and Panamera.

Honda, Toyota, Audi are tops on resale value (Detroit Free Press)
  • Options
    Always been interested in the SVT Fords. Usually the ones for sale are high milage or high priced.

Wondering what you guys think of this. Miles seem high for a domestic car. Especially for one that may have been driven hard.

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4202647282.html

• Options
    "...telling me to grow up..."

When you are spending THEIR money then they can tell you what to do.

I just recently bought a winter beater to save my summer car. Since I won't take the Eclipse out in NY salt it was either drive the farm van (which I've done the past 3 winters) or get a dedicated beater. The an has rusted badly from that use and since I still need it for the business I can't keep giving it abuse.

My original idea was to get a $1000 crap pile and nurse it through the season and scrap it in spring but I ended up paying about $3k for a much nicer car that may last 3 times longer.

I like your idea about the Outlander. AWD would get you where you want to go and since Mitsu's don't have the cachet of Hondas you can get one cheap. My Eclipse goes in for it's first repair in 6 years this week--for a brake light bulb.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,955
    just goes to show ya.

I pegged the Panamera as a loser as far as depreciation. Oh well. Guess I won't be buying one anytime soon.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    I'm so intrigued by VWs. They have some very interesting Jetta offerings in the mid $20K price point:

SE w/ Connectivity Package - $23,985 including destination (1.8T 6 Speed Auto)
    GLI - $26,175 including destination (2.0T DSG)
    SEL - $26,410 including destination (1.8T 6 Speed Auto)
    TDI w/ Premium - $26,775 including destination (2.0 Diesel DSG)

VW always has some kind of cheapo financing/leasing program along with cash incentives. I'm sure I could purchase any one of these for well under invoice. I gotta swing by the VW dealer one of these days.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,269
    Aftermarket exhaust and HIDs = no sale for me. Also, only a complete imbecile would put tinted covers on their headlights/taillights.
  • Options
    ohenryxohenryx Member Posts: 285
    I'm so intrigued by VWs. They have some very interesting Jetta offerings

f you drive a lot of miles per year, and fuel economy is very important to you, the TDI would be very hard to beat.

If not, then I would highly recommend the GLI with the 2.0T. That engine has gobs of torque, and is a lot of fun to drive around.
  • Options
    I do drive a decent amount of miles per year (20K), but fuel economy is kind of an added bonus for me as pretty much anything I go with will easily beat my BMW's 21.4 avg.

The fun to drive aspect of the GLI is what I read about that makes a strong case for it!

• Options
    I test drove the 2014 Jetta SE w/ convenience that had the 1.8L turbo and 6 speed auto. I liked it a lot except that it was a sedan and I was looking for a hatch.

As was previously discussed, the new '15 Golf should come with the new powertrain. Not that it matters to me; I'm out of the market for 35 more months.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Just did a test drive and really liked it, the Encore...not so much. Low balled my Civic, $6.7k while Carmax said $7k but they still wanted too much out of pocket. Wanted to do $15k cash plus mine otd and they laughed so I left. They wanted too much for their unit, a Smokey Gray base model, as to get a power seat, one must get the Convenience Group, which has too much stuff I do not want. All in all, a very nice vehicle. Now to test the Acura ILX to see the difference in ride. Did love the back up camera in the Buick and could actually see myself having one now as my d d though half the house is still against it. They have a couple of demo's so I told the guy to call me when they become available and we'll see what we can do...they will have only 3k on them and have the full warranty...guy even said he'd do another $1k off the price on one of these units. So, we will see as he told me he'd give me 1st shot at either of them, one is the gray and the other the silver which I could live with. Still, a nice entry into the lower priced lux market here and one that I'd be pleased to drive. Being a domestic is just the icing on the cake here and so much nicer compared to the Cruze.
    Manager came over and we talked numbers but we were too far apart right now. Good thing is he said they'd go over their $5k limit on the credit card so I figure he'd do at least $7.5k which would be great. Since it was pouring when i left, didn't get over to the Acura store, as there are none that close. Plan to go later on today. Just want to compare apples to apples here and go from there. But the verano was super nice folks...very nice! If things work out, I might just go for it!!!

• Options
    Also, only a complete imbecile would put tinted covers on their headlights/taillights.

Holy cow....truer words simply have not EVER been spoken..

Just the other day saw a 'customized' p/u truck that had a "Pick-Me-Up Truck" sticker on the back, that had its taillights blackened out. I can barely imagine the level of rage I would have to resist coming up on that [non-permissible content removed] in dense fog or a blinding blizzard.

There oughta be a law against being that stupid.

Wanna hear how it got worse? The a** had two little kids in the passenger side – standing – obviously not seatbelted in..I called it in actually...something I rarely ever do unless I see drunk trying to mow someone down.

And while they're finetuning and placing new 'laws' on the books...some people simply should not be allowed to reproduce..Genes that are that dim-bulbed, shouldn't be allowed to spread..

But we know that society and its laws and regs are always geared to the absolute lowest possible denominator. Mr. Blacked-out Taillight p/u truck driver epitomizes that class..
  • Options
    I saw a video review on you tube of the 2015 GTI. Specs give it the "proper" 2.0T that's in the rest of the Audi lineup, 210 hp & 256 LB/FT of torque. Very sharp, modern lines update the car nicely. They even have an optional "performance pack" that increases power & torque by upping boost as well as having some kind of electric limited slip differential & launch control. The reviewer could not wife the smile off of his face & really seemed to enjoy the car.