Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    The WSJ reports that manufacturers have added more capacity in the US, inventories are up and demand for new cars is tentative.

I was reading on the Sun Sentinel this morning in the business section which showed big increases in auto sales for Toyota, GM, Chrysler and Ford. Due to low interest loans and good leasing opportunities, 2013 is going to be one of the best years for auto sales and next year is expected to be even better.

I was surprised to see that Honda and VW were not showing gains over last month, but rather decreases in sales, especially VW.

However, I agree with you that inventories are increasing and the economic outlook for next year is not very rosy. The Affordable Health Care legislation is expected to cause a significant drain on spendable income on the US which will put a damper on big ticket items such as housing, autos, appliances, etc. retail sales for the holiday season are already 3+% below last year.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    honda is interesting. I know the Accord is doing well. I suspect Honda has pretty much been volume constrained to an extent (IOW, they sell darn near as much as they can).

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    "I'm even shopping - got my eye on the Audi 401k, sep the Volvo 529 looks good)."

I see what you did there... :P

We have a SIMPLE IRA at the office, which is like a traditional 401k, except there are no IRS filing requirements and the contribution limits are lower. Overall, it's more flexible than the SEP-IRA we had up until 2013.
  • Options
    Thanks! I already had a guy I know call me and tell me he wants to buy the car from the insurance company and fix it himself if it's totaled. More power to him, that's just one headache I don't want to deal with!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2013
    VW is a mystery. I think not having trucks or more SUVs may be a killer. Cheap gas is really helping Detroit out right now.

Seems like most of my magic ball predictions have been off the rails lately (well, even longer, lol, but I tend to agree with that WSJ piece). Credit is cheap but it sort of seems like everyone is saturated with stuff. Living lean the last few years may have changed some people's buying habits and if we assume that all the Cash for Clunkers bubble has been absorbed - ah, I'm just coffeed up and rattling on.

Just seems like people don't feel the need to trade cars so much any more and it's hard to see 16 or 17 million new car sales being sustainable.
  • Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    No mystery about VW sales. The folks who have bought one in the last 20 years don't buy another and tell their friends.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    My sister is coming around a bit after a love/hate relationship with her problematic '00 New Beetle. What she really wants is a Mini, and if the dealer was closer, she'd likely be in one, even if their reliability reputation is worse than VW's.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    You were right to be concerned. I cannot tell you how many times I had an airbag pop randomly after an accident when we were just walking around it. First thing we did at a scene while securing occupants was disconnect the battery.

Volkswagen's have an accident awareness feature and I believe part of that is it cuts power after the impact to prevent things like that from happening.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    Last year I helped a friend of my wife's replace her badly aging 2003 GTI with a leased 2013 VW Tiguan. She has been begging me to take her Tiguan for a spin, so I took her up in her offer 1 day last week. The 2.0T was surprisingly smooth and very torquey. Power delivery is very linear and not "turbo peaky" at all. The 2.0T makes fantastic low end & midrange power. It does seem to loose steam once the revs get into the upper range. Transmission shifted smooth & crisply. Not sure if that's got a 6-Speed slush box or DSG. Either way, I like it.

The ride was typical Germanic. Solid and comfortable. Very high quality interior materials too.

Brakes concerned me. It seemed like there was quite a bit of pedal travel before the initial bite.

That's it! Carry on folks!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    edited December 2013
    VW is a mystery. I think not having trucks or more SUVs may be a killer. Cheap gas is really helping Detroit out right now.

Funny you should mention "cheap gas"! There is a bill before the House of Representatives which would raise the Federal Gas Tax significantly (like 30 +/- cents a gallon) or something like that. The increase is intended to raise enough money to improve roads, bridges, transportation, etc. I would think that should put a damper on cheap gas. Remember, once the federal government gets it's hands on more money, it gets spent in ways that are strange and mysterious. The highway trust funds have been abused by previous congresses just as the social security trust funds have been abused.

The debate in congress should be interesting over the next several months.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Congress debates? Could've fooled me.

Yet another aside that's a bit off-topic that I never would have guessed a decade ago - leasing keeps growing and now makes up 26% of the market.

Leasing Levels Believed to Have Hit 2013 High & Could Rise Even More (Auto Remarketing)

CCLA?
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,365
    Yet another aside that's a bit off-topic that I never would have guessed a decade ago - leasing keeps growing and now makes up 26% of the market.

CCLA?

Well, 6 of the 29 punches this year are leases, so we're pretty close to the national average in this group.

Another 6 were used purchases, which leaves 17 punches as new cars.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Credit is cheap but it sort of seems like everyone is saturated with stuff.

Let people enjoy it while they can. I have a feeling the sh*t and the fan have not quite connected yet, but they're getting close. :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Oh, you're just bummed because Alaska quit taxing the oil companies. :)
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,677
    How come no one has commented on the release of the new Mustang?

Looks like the motors are the same except for this 2.3L turbo.

What's the opinion of this board on the style change? Too much? Not enough?

Will the independent suspension make it a BMW contender? You do know that one of the motor mags tracked an M3 against a current model GT and found their performance very close.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    "How come no one has commented on the release of the new Mustang ?" Easy --- we are all too old and fat to care. [or fit in the bucket seats]
  • Options
    Easy --- we are all too old and fat to care. [or fit in the bucket seats]

Remember, you can always manage to get yourself into a car like a Corvette, the new Mustang, a Ferrari, a Porsche, etc., but get yourself out of one of those cars at our age and numbers of "love handles" is quite another.

As for the new Mustang, which I saw introduced on FOX News this afternoon by the Ford President, I think it's a WINNER! Gorgeous looking exterior and the interior looks nicely refreshed. It is definitely a Millenium's car and should be a great seller. I understand that pricing will be a bit higher, but not enough to scare off the dedicated Mustang lover.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Looks a little like a BMW 6-series in the side profile, in a good way. On the other hand, the launch of the new Mustang is the most overhyped vehicle launch I've seen in a long time.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    The new Mustang is attractive, but I was lead to believe it would not resemble the previous model as much as it actually does. I think I'd rather have a used Boss 302 than a 2014.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    The new Mustang is attractive, but I was lead to believe it would not resemble the previous model as much as it actually does. I think I'd rather have a used Boss 302 than a 2014.

The president of Ford Motor Company said, during the interview I saw on FNC, that the objective of the new design of the Mustang was to resemble the lines of the car when it was first introduced - as a kind of commemorative 50th anniversary edition. I noticed the lines of the roof from front to rear being somewhat similar to the original car, but the rest of the car has a more progressive look to it. Still a beautiful vehicle, and with the right engine, suspension, wheels/tires, and a great color, it will be a very successful offering.

I would love to see one in white with red leather and red pinstripe tires.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    As a 50th anniversary edition, I'd like to see them offer baby poop brown with a white leather interior. It would match my uncle's "1964.5" model perfectly! :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I know I don't check in here often but what has happened with our little gal from AK?

Akangl?
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    On the new ride. Hope you enjoy it until the bug bites you again!

I'm still shopping, nothing has changed. Analysis paralysis...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    last I heard, she is still driving and liking her explorer, and waiting to pop.

• Options
    She was here about a month ago. (link)
  • Options
    I'm still shopping, nothing has changed. Analysis paralysis...

You still thinking of trading the Jag or just getting a winter beater.

Now that Sandy has bought, we need someone to share the intimate details of their shopping, thought processes, test drives, etc.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    Thinking the only two things I actually NEED in my next car - AWD & an Automatic Transmission as well as a reasonable price. Thinking back to the basics - An Imprezza Sport Limited & a CRV EX

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,366
    I keep trying to resist, but I find the enthusiastic reviews of the Fiesta ST to be very intriguing. My local dealer still has the Molten Orange ST with the Recaro package- it has been in their showroom for at least six weeks. The lack of a sunroof and the presence of three pedals are probably the major reasons that it is still there. I of course, consider it a major plus to not have a hole in the roof. If the incentives increase closer to Christmas I may reconsider my original plan to stand pat...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    you have been talking about this for so long, you make Sandy look like Mike.

:shades:

• Options
    For the momentary Facebook poster, no soliciting on our site please.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,369
    "Thinking the only two things I actually NEED in my next car - AWD & an Automatic Transmission"

That's funny... those are the two things I don't WANT.. ;-)

(AWD might be okay in a WRX)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    you have been talking about this for so long, you make Sandy look like Mike.

That gave me a good laugh first thing in the morning!

Over this past weekend, the daughter informs me there was a problem with Westen, her prized MINI. The auto-down/auto-up feature of the window when you open/close the door stopped working on the passenger side. The switch still worked, so you could roll the window up all the way, but it was annoying.

I set up an appt with the dealer, which happened yesterday. Her MINI has just over 28K on it, and has been a pretty reliable vehicle in the 3 years, 8 months we've had it - other than having to replace a couple of tires due to punctures where they couldn't be repaired.

Anyway, the window gets fixed, but the service advisor tells me that all 4 tires are 'dangerously' low on tread - 2/32", she tells me. Gives me a quote of about $500 to replace them then and there, which I decline.

I'll get a second opinion tomorrow from my local tire shop, then talk to the daughter about what she wants to do.

A bit of searching on-line shows the OEM Contis available for $99 each, with a 40K treadwear warranty. Another alternative are the Bridgestone Ecopias for $90 each and a 65K treadwear warranty.

I'm pretty surprised the OEMs only lasted less than 30K, especially since two of them have far fewer miles than that.

Comments welcome .. her MINI has the base 175/65-15 tire on them.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Nope, I am not buying for a long time but...the wife will be and once she drives mine, all bets are off! She comes home tonight and will see it for the 1st time in the garage as she pulls in if I am not at work. Think she's about ready to pull the trigger herself here but getting her headlights cleaned tomorrow. But, I give her a couple of weeks of still being mad at me to start looking for herself to even the playing field I guess. She was due to go next but I jumped ahead so she'll want her turn I suspect. I'd love her to get another Mazda3 as it is a beautiful vehicle but think she'll go for the Accent first. once she drives it and a few others, think she'll have a change of heart and want something that moves and drives like her current 3...and that would probably be another 3. Since they are also across the street, makes my servicing that much easier...only the Versa has to go across town if I need to go to the Nissan store. But now that she's almost out of warranty, next month, only would go back if the cvt quits on us.
    going to look at the Tiguan for the wife and also a new store opened up and they are having a contest for a free 2014 Jetta, so I want to enter...might as well be me that wins...right? Will try the Tiguan again and see how it drives as I forgot. In all my looking, I never gave the Rogue SV a chance and want to go drive it again just to see that I did the right thing. Will also stop by Kia when I'm over there to try out the Sportage, which is basically the same as mine but cosmetically different. Wonder if they have the special SE version that I got on theirs to. Just curious really but am happy with mine and hopefully the mpg's will increase a bit after that 5k mark. Have to keep in mind that I've got a bigger, thirstier engine now and that I took a decrease in mileage penalty here by not going econobox again...I do love the seemless power I have now as I touch the accelerator and it just goes...before I would definitely feel the kickdown in gearing and it wasn't this smooth. Also there is the weight penalty here...just have to install a different mindset here, that's all. Once that kicks in, I'll be great.
    Getting my mats this morning and doing the amp on Tuesday as the stereo is a bit weak sounding right now. Will do that first and then decide if replacing the 4 factory speakers is required here, something I did in the Civic after a few months...I like really crisp, clear sound and am willing to pay the price if it ain't too crazy.
    Also, drove a Ford C Mac to Ft.M myers late last night and truthfully, I liked it...I really did! A bit too pricey but it was comfortable and accelerated at a nice clip...never felt out of power even when passing. It just did it's job quietly and efficiently, but they need to get that price down to the high teens for it to make a big splash. Not being a Ford person, I never really inquired about it, only the Escape which still is sitting there and they keep calling me. Finally texted my sales guy and said I bought already but thanks for the help. Even Buick won't stop calling and I finally got 1 bite on the Civic but a day too late...such is life! Deep down, I would've liked to have sold it first and rented for a week or two to have more time here but G-d had other plans and decided to end the search. Guess I have other more important things to move onto now in his eyes!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    Manufacturers usually update their incentives at the beginning of the month. If you wait until Christmas, it may be gone!
  • Options
    30k-ish sounds about right for an OEM tire, especially if she does a lot of stop and go driving. You may be able to get something with better tread wear if you go with a different brand. Michelins are really expensive but seem to last longer. If they are 2/32", they are dangerous in rain or snow. Actually, $500 is not a bad price from the dealer on the Continentals if it includes mounting and balancing, but you need to think about whether you want to go with a different tire.
  • Options
    Both of those choices, CRV and Subaru, have excellent resale potential. I'm just saying.
  • Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    "Thinking the only two things I actually NEED in my next car - AWD & an Automatic Transmission"

That's funny... those are the two things I don't WANT..

(AWD might be okay in a WRX)

I'm with you on that one... don't want another automatic (but in the end may have no other choice) and don't want to mess with anyone's AWD other than Subaru, or maybe Toyota or Jeep.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    If they are 2/32", they are dangerous in rain or snow.

Here's the thing .. we had about 6" of snow a couple days ago and the temps have barely gotten above 0 since then (it's -6 right now at 8:45). I drove her car about 20 miles to the dealership and didn't experience any terrifying moments due to lack of traction.

I'll see what the local tire guys have to say tomorrow .. will have her car out as I need to get new wiper blades for it.

sandy - why torture yourself by driving the Sportage and Rogue? You've made your decision and you seem happy with it (other than the stereo issues, that is). Now go and help the wife figure out her next ride then you can sit back and relax for the next 5-10 years!

Unlike nyc who is mulling over his next car 9 months before he has to pull the trigger! (BTW, I like the idea of the Subaru over the Honda - slightly better mileage)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Took my first ‘road trip’ over Thanksgiving –
    north of Atlanta to the Florida coast, near Apalachicola.

On the drive down, it was raining [ or ‘monsooning’ ]
    nearly the whole way. Had the A/C on most of the time –
    for defog.

Average MPG on that leg = approx. 30.
    [ Overall \ Commuting average so far = 28.5. =
    exactly half way between EPA city & highway. ]
    much better weather on the drive home,
    but traffic was worse approaching the Atlanta area -
    averaged approx. 31.5.

Not bad, but not quite as good as I expected.
    [ EPA says highway MPG = 33. ]
    The MPG seems to drop off quite noticeably
    above about 65 MPH.

Range [ on 14.5 gal. Tank ] shows approx. 465 mi.
    - Ray
    neither thrilled nor disenchanted . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Absolutely right, why even bother now. I really like what I got and the stereo will be dealt with Tuesday...stopped by and we decided that first we'll listen with the amp set up to get the max sound out of the factory speakers and go from there. He said I had excellent ones in the Civic so that's why I got the incredible sound I got but agreed that we need to tweak what I have first and then think about upgrades. Hate to dump a whole lot of cash into it if the new aftermarket ones won't improve the sound quality that much. Probably best to live with it for awhile and then decide...and if I really hate it, then I can swap them out. And if it sounds so bad on Tuesday, he has in stock stuff he said we could look at so I will go this route and see what happens. New speakers mean more $ spent and I'm a bit tapped out right now...and no word from the judge!!!

The Sandman

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    Yes and yes. Unfortunately, I am in a certain life situation that is impeding my ability to make a decision. But, car-wise:

As I've metioned, the Jag is a major part of the problem. I am just so smitten with it, British electronics and all. It is a wonderful GT, so comfortable, smooth, powerful, practical (for one or two, at least!) and, imho, gorgeous. And, my first V8, what a sound! But, not a snow/go to the mountains of New England car. Or, not that this happens all that much, a carry more than two people car.

So, I've tested the Jag XF. I like it a lot, too. I think part of that is my predisposition to want to stay with Jaguar. You know, rooting for the pre-'69 NY Mets or pre-2004 Red Sox... Tested the SCV6 AWD: really well balanced, more than powerful enough for me. Nice ride/handling mix and immediate steering feedback/action. Headroom tight in the rear, but most folks I know are sub 6', so not a big deal. Very cool interior, mix of modern and traditional. Driver seat, for me, needs a bit more thigh support or the ability to adjust, which it does not have (unless you add expensive Portfolio pack, I believe). Very limited availability around these parts for '13 equipped the way I want, but I did negotiate what appears to be a very good price on a '13, over $9k off MSRP. And, while disappointed on the trade in on the XK, it does seem to be what the market is bearing. Wrong time of the season to be trading in such a car... But, I haven't pulled the trigger.

Audi A5: Could definately feel the lighter weight. More adjustable seat and more modern electronics. A handsome beast, inside and out. The turbo 4, while not underpowered, didn't overwhelm me. Steering didn't feel as immediate as the Jag, but no real issues. For a coupe, back seat isn't bad and the seats fold down (Jag has the optional ski sack, which I prefer). Also, a good ride/handling balance. Loaded the way I want, probably $3-4k less than the Jag, but would Mr. Audi offer me as much on trade as Mr. Jag? Mr. Audi said they would love to have my car on their lot, attract attention. Something about the Audi's cool, efficient, Teutonic-ness actually turned me off a bit, I didn't find myself emotionally connected.

I know there are plenty more fish under the sea dance cars I could/should be looking at (read: 3/4 series, A4 for practiaclity over A5, my Dad thinks a Volvo S60 is the answer. And, it is intersesting), but I appreciate the fact that I don't see XKs, XFs and even, to a lesser extent, A5s coming and going. Superficial, yes, but the ubiquity of E class, 5 series, A6 sends me in another direction.

Winter beater: Actually might make more financial and emotional sense (but not sure logistical). I've been eyeing Mitsu's and Subies for a time, found a couple of what appear to be very above board local used car outlets that have nice inventories. I'm really tempted to go this route... Of course, the two Mitsus (Outlander, Galant) I actually looked at/drove sold after I left the lot!

But, I'm heading out of town next week, so car shopping is on hold. The '13 XF inventory is fading away, and with it the $5k in customer cash. So, that may take care of that. Whereas A5s are somewhat abundant. And, I really should test drive a 3...

So, I apologise for continuing to tease. But, due to circumstances beyond my control, this (to me at least) is not the black/white decision it always has been. Oye.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Oh, man, RB. I would love to have a Fiesta ST. I was honestly thinking about getting one until I mentioned it out loud to my wife. As expected, she quickly beat sense back into me and my practical side again took over.

My '11 Fiesta SES is fun enough. The only thing I would get out of the ST is 60 HP, twice the debt, and a bigger smile. I can live without all of those things. :P
  • Options
    I like the idea of the Subaru over the Honda - slightly better mileage

Slightly? I think he would find the difference to be a little more than slight. :P
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Speaking of A5's, I saw this whilst browsing on cars.com.

Manual A5

Yes, I did indeed trade my previous A5 for the current 335xi, but this one has the sport package and a manual trannie. :)

It happens to be offered at the same Acura dealer where we just bought the A3.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    Ding Ding Ding Ding! I like the way this guy thinks!

• Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    A5's are smart looking cars.

I looked at them when I was moving from my 328 Coupe to 335 Sedan. The lack of a sliding sunroof bothered me at the time.

I love the power of my 335 but find myself missing the look of the coupe. If I was going to do anything, I'd probably go A5 this time. A 428 is going to be a turbo 4 anyway and a similarly equiped 435 to my 335 is going to rapidly approach 60k, if not exceed it.

Year end with all the incentives and deals is not the time to begin to get a wandering eye!!!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    According to postings on fuelly, the mileage difference isn't a deal breaker. Both cars have their pros and cons (from what I've read). The CR-V is obviously bigger and most likely has a more comfortable ride. It's larger sidewall tires will help me cope with the craters I seem to dodge on a regular basis. The 185 hp is far from tire smoking, but I'm sure is adequate.

The Impreza's 140 hp has been described as "decent" around town, but "plan your highway passing manuvers far in advance."

There's also Honda's tried and true 5 speed automatic vs. Subaru's relatively new CVT.

The Impreza is definitely a much less expensive car.

We shall see.

• Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    nyc - what about the Forester instead of the Impreza, since you're comparing to the CR-V? The more basic models seem to be pretty reasonably priced, and you get the larger engine. By all accounts, seems to be a great small SUV.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Go to tirerack.com and check out the reviews and surveys. The consumer surveys often have a lot of input and can steer you toward ride, traction, etc. on each of the different tires. I'm always leery of tires with things like "fuel or energy max" in the title. I think it means hard surface for better mileage at the expense of other things like traction and comfort. Personally, over the years I've found that spending more upfront on a Michelin or other high rated premium tire usually pays it back on the back side from longer tire life. The major worry I'd have on 2/32 is potential hydroplaning and lower braking traction. Good luck!