Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    "Lots" meaning in every parking lot and driving down the road every minute or so. I have not seen '06 Sonatas in those concentrations anywhere else. I haven't done an exact count, if that is what you are looking for.
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    No I am not looking for an exact count but being the the western burbs I don't see them in every parking lot and I don't see them ever few minutes while driving. Yes I am seeing them and in increasing numbers, but not in the numbers you are implying.

May I ask what western burb your visiting?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    Oakbrook Terrace.

I don't suppose we could just say that what I have seen the past couple of days is different than what you have seen and leave it at that?
  • Options
    johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    That's because there ARE a lot of them out here! I am seeing them constantly too.
  • Options
    lservelserve Member Posts: 50
    I work around the same area, and I agree there are a good number seen on the roads in that area. I would bet that a number are rental, as this area is filled with suburban corp centers. I also see a plenty in the morning on the expressway near the airport - again high volume of rentals. There are definitely more on the road throughout the area though. We have a fair amount of dealers in the metro area.
  • Options
    mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    "Driving during daylight hours, even in clear, dry weather conditions, with only the parking lights or the fog lights lit is a ticketable offense throughout the state."

--- Well, if THAT'S the law in California, then California has some DUMB laws, quite obviously.... That's one more reason I don't live in California. Besides the earthquakes, forest fires, floods, mud slides, street gangs, Hollywood ............... and Cher.
  • Options
    I think that may be the law in Minnesota also. A co-worker was pulled over once for having his fog lamps on during clear conditions. The DPS officer said they create glare for other drivers. I can see how having parking lamps on while driving could be a problem--i.e. a driver may misinterpret a moving car for a parked car. There is a reason they are called "parking lights" and "fog lights".
  • Options
    Well, since I live in this great Abe Lincoln's state of ILLINOIS, we don't have dumb laws here (oh no!). Though I travel sometimes to Wisconsin (actually this very coming Saturday), and they are not as smart there, those cheese heads (they also drive SOOOO SSSLLLOOOWWWWWWWWW)....

So We'll see. If you don't hear from me for a while, you know I'm held hostage by a cheese head cop.
  • Options
    Well, since I live in this great Abe Lincoln's state of ILLINOIS, we don't have dumb laws here (oh no!).

You know up until the 1970's it was against the law to drive a car in Chicago (not to mention the anti-ugly law).

Schaumburg Illinois mentions kite flying as a dangeours sport. :confuse:

Though I travel sometimes to Wisconsin

Yeah those Cheese head cops love to pick up Illinois plate.

• Options
    wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    my girlfriend wants to buy a white 4c sonata. both of us never financed before. we just checked her credit score with citi and couple of other free-trial and it was 620. she is a college student.

well, she doesn't want to pay more than $230 a month(72months). can she get that deal? the sticker price for that white gls was 19k. how much discount should i expect? she is trading her focus zx3 which is probably worth 2500.

i'm a noobie so help me out.
  • Options
    A few things, first is I would never finance a car for 72 months, thats just way to long to be in a car loan. Secondly even with good credit and a 72 month loan you can only borrow about 13K to keep it below $230/month. So with your Focus running at $2,500 your looking at a total price of 14.5K or so for the car. If it stickers at $19K I wouldn't count on getting the deal you want. Finally are you sure the car you want to trade in is worth $2,500.

My advice is that if the Focus is running keep it and save up more money for a future car purchase. If you really need to get another car you might want to look at something a bit less expensive like an Accent or Elantra or another makes model that runs in that price range. Or look for a good used one, one thats a year or two old.

• Options
    I got my white 4cl. GLS for $15,700... Yeah, that was on January 31 at 9pm...

You won't wait till next January (maybe the BEST month to buy a car cheap...), but I suggest you go to the dealership on the LAST day of the month... Dealers are ALWAYS more willing to negotiate on the last day of the month...

As to credit, 620 is kinda low, though you can't expect much higher for a college student... She may be denied any financing, or she may get a higher rate. But then there's probably a rebate if you finance thru the dealership...

I suggest you check with couple dealers NOW (actually, try getting some prices ON-LINE, dealers will email you their offers). One thing to take in consideration, you might have to forget about White, or any color you particularly like... In order to get the dealer to lower his price, you have to buy what's sitting on his lot. If he doesn't have the color you want, too bad...
  • Options
    but I suggest you go to the dealership on the LAST day of the month... Dealers are ALWAYS more willing to negotiate on the last day of the month...

Not true, dealers would be far more willing to give a good deal if its at the end of the month and they need you to full a quota. But if that quota has already been filled sorry they won't be as willing to give you the great deal.

• Options
    Yes, that's true... But you'd agree that there is a better chance to get a better deal at the end of the month... At the very last DAY AND HOURS of the month...
  • Options
    No I don't agree. If a dealer has a quota from the manufacturer to sell 250 Buiyota Benz's during the month and incentives have all kicked in at 300 units and its the last hours of the last day of the month and they have 305 under their belt guess what? You won't get a better chance to get a better deal.

I would say that there is a better chance but thin, so thing its pretty much invisible. Pretty much like winning the lottery.

• Options
    Well, you don't agree, but then you do agree, ha ha... "I would say that there is a better chance but thin" -- thin or thick, if there IS any day in the month for a CHANCE to get a better deal -- it's the LAST DAY of the month.

Maybe you should read, and think, and then come to a logical conclusion.
  • Options
    No I didn't disagree and then agree, my point is your likely hood of getting a better deal simply because its the end of the month is pretty much non existent. Sure there may have been some who came on a dealership that had a bad month and that one car would put them over the edge, but I would guess it is extremely rare.

In short telling someone to wait to the end of the month is poor advice, and may even backfire.

• Options
    focus is about 99k miles, and it is slowly breaking down. the ride quality is really bad, and she is very sick of small cars.

also, she wants to do 72 months, so she can keep the payments low for now. she will most likely pay it all off within 4 years because she will start earning money next year.

obviously many people are buying the gls for less than 16k-16.5k, so if she doesn't get that kind of deal, she'll have to look elsewhere.
  • Options
    focus is about 99k miles, and it is slowly breaking down. the ride quality is really bad,

I am going to guess by the mileage that it is a 2000 MY. Depending on its condition you may not get $2,500 for it in a trade in. If you a definitely going to get rid of it give it a good cleaning (inside and out), a clean car will get you more. You would get more in a private party sale so you might want to consider that.

and she is very sick of small cars.

To be honest giving what you told us she may have to stick with one.

obviously many people are buying the gls for less than 16k-16.5k, so if she doesn't get that kind of deal, she'll have to look elsewhere.

Hate to tell you this I seriously doubt that at 16K given her position, credit score and trade in your not going to hit your $230/month mark. That is unless you have some cash to make a good sized downpayment.

One more thing we don't know, does she owe money on the focus?

• Options
    she doesn't owe anything on the focus, and she doesn't want to pay any down payment. i'm sure she could do $250.00 months as well, but that's buying it for 18K (.06 APR)if they do give her 2500.00 appraisal. isn't that kinda high for 4c sonata?

also, what would be the reasonable APR for her?
  • Options
    and may even backfire
    -- You need to explain why it may backfire... If you don't need a new car by a certain date, and can wait till the end of the month, you have nothing to lose by waiting for the end of the month....

Some car dealers have a "waiting list" for their high-demand, popular cars... Those dealers are not gonna give you a better deal on the last day of the month. Other dealers who sell cars which are not high-demand, MIGHT give you a better deal on the last day of a slow month. Again, MIGHT. Such a deal can save you THOUSANDS of Dollars (as it saved me)... You take a chance.

And, btw, what I'm claiming here is not something that I just made up, or is based on my experience, it's a KNOWN fact.
  • Options
    Volverine, if I got my 4cyl. GLS for $15,700 there is no reason to believe you'll get it for 18,000 today. I'd say you could expect to pay LESS THAN $17,000... Maybe $16,500... They still have rebates in May. And if you take a loan thru the dealer you're entitled to another rebate...

You need to talk to a dealer, it would take them 15 minutes to give you some information... She may not even be eligible for ANY loan, we don't know.

Than you go there again at the end of teh month, and see maybe you get a BETTER deal, as long as you try lowering it, of course..........
  • Options
    krikakrika Member Posts: 49
    can i use my LX to tow a trailer? i am moving and was wondering if i can make use of my 'powerful' ;) sonata.
  • Options
    i'm sure she could do $250.00 months as well, but that's buying it for 18K (.06 APR)if they do give her 2500.00 appraisal.

Actually it would be a little more than $250 and only if they don't charge you tax, title and doc fees.

Also note that a college student with no job (I am presuming that it she is currently unemployed) and a 620 credit rating won't get 6%. To get that low you need a better credit score, a job and a shorter term loan.

• Options
    she earns money through a flute lesson. around $1800 a month. does that count?
  • Options
    a 620 credit rating won't get 6%

--- That's probably VERY true (see, sometimes you're right, snake ;) )... Mine was more like 8% (or maybe even 8.5% -- which I didn't mind, 'cause I was planning to pay it off within a month, and took it only for the $1,000 rebate...), and my credit score is 820.......
  • Options
    if that's the case, i'll guess she needs to wait for the new elantra.
  • Options
    kelly blue book 2000 focus zx3 hatch

Excellent
    $3,625

Good
    $3,225

fair
    $2,565

there is no visible wear and tear and it looks very clean. i know dealers don't use KBB, but we should at least expect $2000 appraisal right?
  • Options
    -- You need to explain why it may backfire...

Easy, manufacturers or dealers may run "specials" that may not go to the end of the month. Inventories change and what you want may no longer be available. Price increases may happen (then your trying to get a better deal on a higher priced vehicle).

Not saying these things will happen or that they happen in a majority of cases, just that it may.

Other dealers who sell cars which are not high-demand, MIGHT give you a better deal on the last day of a slow month.

Key words are "might" and "slow month". And even if the car is not in a high demand that doesn't mean the dealer didn't make quota already.

Such a deal can save you THOUSANDS of Dollars (as it saved me)... You take a chance.

Unless your buying a high priced car I seriously doubt you can save thousands. Yes you take a chance, but the chance is very poor.

And, btw, what I'm claiming here is not something that I just made up, or is based on my experience, it's a KNOWN fact.

Correction it is not a fact it is a widely contested claim. Simple fact is that if a car dealer has made quota they don't really need the end of months sales so doing the great deal just to sell a car would not be in their best interests. On the flip side if your there on the last day of the month and their are 25 cars behind with only a few hours left to sell your one purchase isn't going to help them so again not much of an incentive.

I have been in sales and I have never been at the last day of the month short of quota, for me or my team. I know car salesmen who will tell you that they and their store usually hit quota before month end.

• Options
    Can she prove it? Does she have W2's or 1099's showing this? Or maybe prior years tax returns? If so yes, if not it will be hard to prove. If she is paid by check have them write on the memo pad "Flute lessons" and make copies of the checks so you can at least attempt to prove it.

• Options
    Oh I hate those deals where you get a discount I would hate to see what I would have to pay for an interest rate. :blush:

• Options
    Oh I hate those deals where you get a discount I would hate to see what I would have to pay for an interest rate

---- So you don't like to get discounts? And you wouldn't agree to take a loan (when you know you'll repay it withing a month) which will cost you something like $120, in order to get a $1,000 discount?

You must be filthy rich...
  • Options
    So you don't like to get discounts?

Oh I like to get discounts but I wonder how hard it would be to get the loan with no credit history.

• Options
    but we should at least expect $2000 appraisal right?

Volverine, there is no sense of asking us those questions...Unless you don't mind being mislead... You'd be surprised how LOW some dealers might go with what they offer for your car.... Back in August I was trying to sell a '96 Volvo 850 with LOW mileage and in PERFECT condition. I went to a Volvo dealer and he offered me $2,750 as trade in (I was cintemplating buying an S60 then)... I put it for sale on Cars.com and sold it to a private party for $6,500 within a week......

You need to approach a dealer and get REAL ideas about what you can and can't achieve with what you have to offer.... All the rest is just speculations.
  • Options
    krikakrika Member Posts: 49
    has anyone used their V6 for towing a small size trailer? i need suggestions, please
  • Options
    ace35ace35 Member Posts: 131
    did anyone catch the new sonata commercial, it shows a sonata going thru, what looks like a tunnel @ very high speeds. Then it mentions stability control, and 234 hp. Very cool. It looks like the sonata has a new gauge cluster. They dropped the green gauges(thank god), for some snazzy looking red white and blue gauges. I couldnt really tell, but they resemble optitron gauges.

looks like hyundai now uses SAE certification for their engines. Beacuse the lambda 3.3L was rated at 235hp but now down to 234hp. no big deal thou, because this V6 moves with authority and sophistication and will get to 60 under 7 sec's.

Great Job Hyundai,
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Just saw the tail end of the commercial last night. It looked like a winner. I'm waiting patiently to see it in its entirety.
  • Options
    Same here, looks like subtle changes, but im sure it will address the minor things there were needed.

It seems like hyundai is now touting performance over value now. Great ideal since everyone now know's hyundai is an unbeatable value.
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Ace35,

I found some "spy pictures" here: (scroll down to pictures)

Sonata Spy Pictures Here

But,,, can't tell much, they're pretty well camoflaged. :confuse:

I would LOVE to see a Sonata "sports package" with Azera engine, bigger brakes, sportier automatic, and a full gage package.
  • Options
    great find, the pics give a good indication of what to expect.

A sport package would be nice.
  • Options
    Did this commercial specifically say "2007 Sonata"?
  • Options
    lservelserve Member Posts: 50
    I saw the commercial also, and don't remember a year noted. It definitely was taking a performance & excitement angle - although also reinforced the 30 mpg with a graphic.
  • Options
    mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    for anyone who saw the sonata commercial, can you confirm that the gauges have changed?

(also the cdn Hyundai rep indicated that we'll see the '07 model in September)
  • Options
    aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
    CAN SOMEONE TELL HOW TO CREATE A NEW DISCUSSION?
    I really need some help.
  • Options
    Look down below, under POST A MESSAGE...
  • Options
    aneeshaneesh Member Posts: 43
    thanx, but i m askin how to create a new discussion
    for example for the hyundai mesa
    and please could u tell me how to post pictures?
  • Options
    Click on "Help" which is on the menu on the left of this page. On the Help page, check out # 5 and # 8.
  • Options
    lxcanlxcan Member Posts: 14
    Hi there folks, hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think someone got their photos mixed up. If I'm not mistaken those photos (from the other site) are of the 2008 Hyundai Equus - Hyundai's 270/280hp, 3.8litre V6 luxury car.

As for the commercial, that set up is used in markets other than North America. Look closely at the headlights. The lack of the yellow "turn signal strip" usually indicates the car is built for markets where that signal colour is not mandatory. It's technically illegal in this part of the world.

On the other hand, I'm sure Hyundai is listening, so keep voicing your opinions on what the next Sonata should look and drive like. :shades:
  • Options
    more like 300+hp v8 RWD luxury car
  • Options
    are you saying the new sonata commerical is not a Sonata for the american market?