Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The V6 was carrying more weight, so the mileage is probably closer. However, you are more likely to see a bigger mileage difference between the 4 and the V6 in stop and go city driving than on a 486 mile vacation trip.
  • Options
    bytheseabythesea Member Posts: 2
    Doubt any drafting, the I4 was always 8 to 10 lengths behind the V6.
  • Options
    stevenlgstevenlg Member Posts: 3
    I have test driven 4 Sonatas. All were the GLS
    model with 4 cylinder engine. Here are my observations:
    1. Two of the cars made interior low frequency booming noises at low speeds even when the car was not going over bumps. The noise is not loud but is annoyingly noticeable. This noise disappeared on the highway. A third car did not have this problem but did make a low frequency boom when traveling over potholes. The intensity of the noise was louder than in the 15 year old car that I currently drive.

2. Two of the cars wandered to both left and right at highway speeds. These cars may be leaving the factory misaligned or are misaligned in transit. The other two cars did not wander.

3. In one car the indicator for the passenger air bag activation did not work when the passenger seat was occupied.

I hope that these problems are addressed in the 2007 Sonata. These problems are especially discouraging since the car has so many attractive (especially safety) features.I am aware that problem 1 appears to have been discussed here before.
  • Options
    luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    No. Just love Sonata and hatchbacks! ;)
  • Options
    jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    That's great info. I'm still contemplating trading my Blazer and the 24.6 mpg (vs. my 15 mpg) definitely pushes me that direction. I've been spoiled by V6 power with my 98 Honda Accord (30 mpg and stupidly traded for the Blazer) and my wife's 2000 Monte Carlo SS and 2004 Grand Prix GT, so the I4 is not an option for me.

Still on the hunt for a good looking spoiler. The ones suggested earlier look pretty good, but not exactly what I was looking for. Anyone else have more suggestions? :D
  • Options
    krikakrika Member Posts: 49
    hey that could be true. and even this is true. i went on a 2000 mile trip to southern arizona last december and while returning in a 200 mile stretch i was at 60-70 mph and guess how much my LX V6 consumed - a perfect 30mpg (trip meter). i think that looong thousand mile drive before that 200mile stretch was a good 'lubricating' drive for the engine, if you know what i mean. so i guess most of the fuel consumption occurs in short drives where there is more friction among the engine parts. what say?
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Nah, not friction. The engine, assuming it is good working order, always has a certain amount of friction that after break in is more or less constant regardless of where and how you drive. So city driving or highway driving is the same friction wise. The difference is in city driving the car is (1) idling for a lot of the time...net fuel economy "0" (2) starting from rest over and over (stop and go traffic) decreases fuel economy because of moving the vehicle mass from 0 MPH to maybe 35-45 MPH and also keeping the car in the lower 3 gears. (3)never achieving a constant speed or reaching 5th or overdrive gear wherein vehicle speed is within the optimum MPH (high) verses engine RPM (low). If everyone could cruise at 65-70 all day long on the turnpike fuel economy will peak.
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    EBAY
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Hyundai is crowing that the sales for April set a record. Big deal. They beat April of 2005 by 67 cars and that was only because they are including 126 Entourages which were not available in '05. The Sonata and Azera increased of course but the other 5 models were all down from a year ago. Shows how the PR people can put a good slant on anything.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    You're right about spinning info. I've seen that in other makes too. The Santa Fe & Tuscons SUV's really took a hit from last year.

However, the Sonata was up 46% compared to last year. I bought an '05 Sonata GLS SV last April and couldn't be more pleased with it. If the '06 is that much better, all I can say is "Wow."
  • Options
    ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    Well it ain't hard to beat across the board weak sales figures for last year.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I just saw the GLS V6 has a $2500 rebate to all; 4 cyl has $1,000 rebate to all. (Owner loyalty is now $500 for Sonata). The 6 cyl lists at $1500 more than the 4 cyl. So the rebate negates the price differential.

If the price of gas is affectings sales of 6 cyl, one should be able to buy the GLS 6 cyl for less than the GLS 4 cyl. Who'd a thunk it?

I know someone who bought a Subaru B9 Tribeca last month and got a better price on the 7 seater than the 5 seater, same model/trim/equipment from the same dealer because the 7 seaters weren't moving as well. Funny, they're the same drive train & EPA gas rating. But the buying public may think 5 seater is better on gas.
  • Options
    jojoejojoe Member Posts: 81
    I don't give a crap how they did or didn't sell.I don't need to spend $40,000 to impress anyone.Our 2006 v6 Sonata bought in Sept.05 has just been terrific.Great looking,great ride,stereo is just fine without all the silly buttons on the steering wheel.Seats are fine,trunk is big and easy to get into.Leather and sunroof are just perfect especially for the price.Fast smooth ride and shiftronic is a blast to use.I don't care if they sell millions or hundreds cause I have one and am very statisfied.For all who are tentative,don't be,for those who own Hondas or Camry's,good for you,I really don't care,this is as good or better in my opinion and I don't care if you agree or not!While so many of you sit and wait or contemplate,I will be driving mine and smiling while you miss out! ;)
  • Options
    rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    Traded my Deepwater Blue 2006 GLS 4cyl in for a Bright Silver 2006 GLS 6cyl with leather upholstery (aftermarket through the dealer). I had two itches still to scratch, leather and a V6. Took delivery on the new car last Saturday and dropped it off to get the leather on Monday. Got it back late Tuesday afternoon. The leather upholstery looks great and feels very comfortable. Stayed with the GLS trim rather than the LX because I prefer the ride of the 16 inch high profile tires on the GLS to the 17 inch low profiles on the LX. Also didn't want the climate control, or heated front seats. Would have liked a power driver's seat but would have had to choose a car with alot of other stuff I didn't want. Nothing wrong with the GLS 4cyl that I traded in. It's a fine car. In fact I wanted to keep it in the family and tried talking my wife into letting me trade in her 2005 Kia Spectra instead of the Sonata. However, she would rather drive the simpler and more compact Spectra than a larger and more complex Sonata.
  • Options
    tanky1981tanky1981 Member Posts: 21
    the piece of plywood that sits on top of the 17" alloy spare wheel, there are two hooks towards the front of the boot on the edge of this plywood, there are two slots that they fit into, those with a lx sonata with the 17 inch alloy spare wheel, do these hooks reach these holes in your car or do they float about 3 inch's above?

Thanks
  • Options
    94hawkskin94hawkskin Member Posts: 116
    Looks like the rebates are the best they have ever been. You can get $2,500 on a V6 model and $1,000 on a I4 model.

And you can combine it with a $500 owner loyalty rebate.

That is a total of $3,000 for the V6 and $1,500 for the I4 and don't even have to fool around with the HMFC refinancing.
  • Options
    osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    It's really too bad that I purchased last weekend. Could have saved $500 more by waiting a couple days...
  • Options
    mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    in Canada the 0%/$3000 incentive has been extended until May.31
  • Options
    deeperbluedeeperblue Member Posts: 11
    I own an elentra. I wonder if my wife qualifies for the loyalty rebate or not. The situation here is that I'm eligible for the loyalty rebate, while she's a college graduate and qualifies the college graduate rebate. Is there any simple way that I could get both rebates to buy a new car? Any ideal is appreciated!
  • Options
    osaka75osaka75 Member Posts: 88
    I may be wrong but I think that if you purchase the car in her name or in both of your names then you can qualify for both. Some rebates are not combinable but I think that the loyalty one is ok to add to any other rebates. Why not just call the dealer to ask about it? If it's a good dealer and they want your business, they'll do what they can to help you out with the rebates since it's not out of their pocket.
  • Options
    llamaniallamania Member Posts: 25
    loyalty is for current owners and their closest family members - your wife definitely qualifies if you can show them proof.
  • Options
    Usually it is "recent" college graduate. I mean I graduated but way too long ago to qualify for a rebate.
  • Options
    ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    What kind of deal did you get, trade in etc.
  • Options
    mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    You actually never explained WHY you actually traded in your less than a year old I4 for a V6.... And WHY didn't you buy the V6 to begin with...
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It's all very bizarre. Should have just got an LX and traded the 17" wheels and tires for 16s if you notice a major difference in the ride. You don't have to use the seat heaters if you don't want to.
  • Options
    What kind of deal did you get, trade in etc.

Price of new V6 with leather package after $2500 in rebates was $19,031. Dealer gave me $15,000 for my I4 with 7800 mi which left me with $1500 for a down payment after the payoff for what I still owed. Financing $17,531 + TTL and doc fees of $469 ($18,000 total) over the next four years.

You actually never explained WHY you actually traded in your less than a year old I4 for a V6.... And WHY didn't you buy the V6 to begin with...

Back in Dec when I bought the I4, I wasn't as greedy and power hungry as I am now.
  • Options
    It's all very bizarre. Should have just got an LX and traded the 17" wheels and tires for 16s if you notice a major difference in the ride. You don't have to use the seat heaters if you don't want to.

Also prefer the simplicity of the GLS's analog heating and air conditioning controls to the digital automatic climate control system in the LX.

Jaxs1, I understand why you would pick an LX with factory leather and all it's standard features over a GLS V6 with after market leather and less standard features. However, the GLS is the right choice for me.
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Jaxs1, I understand why you would pick an LX with factory leather and all it's standard features over a GLS V6 with after market leather and less standard features. However, the GLS is the right choice for me.

I know exactly what you mean. The only thing the LX has that I would want on my GLS V6 is the leather seats. My reasoning is mainly that I tend to keep cars for 10 years or more. I can't imagine complex climate control, 6 CD changers, and sun roofs being trouble free for 10+ years... not on Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, or any car.
  • Options
    I understand LX has heated seats and climate control. I also know that leather seats and sunroof is an option for both. 17" tires is optional where the 16" is standard, correct? Am I missing anything?

Is there any difference betweeen the GLS I4 and the GLS V6 besides the engine?
  • Options
    Personally, I think out of the Hyundai line the only car worth buying is the Sonata! First, I hated the raised eyebrow look on the head lights. Also it's a larger car.

I did get a gander at the new 2007 Santa Fe! It can come with a third row and the head lights are similar to the 2006 Sonata. If I wanted an SUV, But I don't, I would consider the 2007 Santa Fe.

Elantra, Accent, and the Tiburon I wouldn't want to be seen driving those girly cars!

The Azera I wouldn't waste my hard earned money on! Besides being a bit larger and a bit faster engine, which eats a little too much gas for my taste. I would rather spend a little more and get the Honda Pilot, which is better in every way! But in with rising gas prices, vehicles like the Pilot aren't economically sound.

I do believe that the Sonata is the perfect family car today and would recommend it to anyone I know! :shades:
  • Options
    Leather seats are not an option with either the GLS 4 or GLS 6. Factory leather is only available for the 2006 Sonata in the LX trim.

As for the differences between the GLS 4 and GLS 6, in addition to the engine the 6 has a 5 speed automatic whereas the 4 has a 4 speed AT. The GLS 6 also has dual chrome tail pipes.
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the 5-sp A/T finding itself mated to the I4 motor with '07 production. (That motor needs the extra gear every bit as much if not more than the V6.) For those wishing they had leather in their base or GLS models, there's always dealer-installed or aftermarket suppliers. I had leather installed in my '03 GL (base model) several months after I took delivery. A few strategic applications of self-adhesive epoxy over real wood (burl walnut) to console and door panels leaves casual observers the impression they're riding in Hyundai's top-tier LX. Consumate gentleman that I am, I would never dream of embarrasing my guests with an unwarranted correction... Three and a half years after the fact, neither leather nor wood trim show any signs of distress from southern California's inland heat and frequent trips during the summer months to Phoenix and Houston on family visits.
  • Options
    I went to the local TWEETER store and after explaining to the automotive guy there what I'd like to achieve, he did some minor wiring alterations, ran an extra wire out of the fuse box to under the ignition key, and now I have the FOG LIGHTS on whenever my ignition is turned on, but not the rear lights, nor the dashboard lights. Just like true DRL.....

Now my headlights are functioning regularly (I leave them on AUTO), but my Fog Lights are functioning as DRL. At night, when my headlights turn on, both the headlights and the Fog Lights are on, for a nice BRIGHT lighting to show me the way.....

And that's it, from now on I am not going to ever touch my lights switch, ever again....

It took him about an hour (am sure his next Sonata would take him half that time).

Cost me $60.
  • Options
    tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    I went to the local TWEETER store and after explaining to the automotive guy there what I'd like to achieve, he did some minor wiring alterations, ran an extra wire out of the fuse box to under the ignition key,

I doubt if Hyundai will pay for any repairs, if you ever have any electrical problem.(including Starter, cruise, lighting etc... any component using electrical wiring! because you tinkered with the electrical system)
  • Options
    All you said and mamamia2 better pray he or she never has to replace the bulbs in the fog lights. In some locales, driving with just the fog lights on is a code violation.
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    All you said and mamamia2 better pray he or she never has to replace the bulbs in the fog lights. In some locales, driving with just the fog lights on is a code violation.

Others are saying that changing the fogs is not that hard if you go about it right. I'm guessing that any code violations about running with fogs alone would be for night time driving.
  • Options
    Yes, I'm aware that IF there is a warranty-related problem with the electrical system in my car --- Hyundai MAY not cover it. I'm willing to take that chance.... If the problem seems REALLY serious and costly, I could always go back to the Tweeter guy and UNDO what he did, and no one would ever know (you're not gonna snitch on me, would ya, guys)...

Changing the Fog Lights bulb must be LESS complicated and certainly CHEAPER than changing your HEDALIGHT bulbs... So if I want my car to have lights during the day, it better be the Fog Lights, than the headlights, I think you'd agree with me....

As to code violations, There is no chance of me driving with only my Fog Lights at night, 'cause my headlights are remained at AUTO anyhow... (which is NOT the case with ANY factory installed DRL, like Honda's, btw...).

And in general, I don't know about your area, but here, around Chicago, I've never heard of ANYONE ever being stopped, let alone ticketed for driving without ANY light in a rain/snow storm.... I WISH THEY WERE ENFORCING THAT LAW... And I'd like to meet a cop who'd have a problem with me using my Fog Lights during a rain/snow storm....
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    (which is NOT the case with ANY factory installed DRL, like Honda's, btw...).

ANY?

My '07 Camry runs with DRL's (high beams) and switches over to light/fogs automatically at dusk.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, njerald. Good to know the Camry is back to doing what it used to in the 90s (I had been leasing 3 Camrys that had that DRL feature which was excellent, but then Toyota scrapped it for whatever reason in the 2000-2006 models...
  • Options
    kguykmhkguykmh Member Posts: 15
    http://www.sonataclub.net/board/data/photo_board/43050_20060501141122_2.JPG
    http://www.sonataclub.net/board/data/photo_board/49309_20060411184040_2.jpg

here pictures of LED rear lamp from Korea.
    It seems to be elegance.
    Anyone who wants try to dress up your car in this look? :)
  • Options
    http://www.sonataclub.net/board/data/photo_board/54098_20060401172157_1.jpg
    http://www.sonataclub.net/board/data/photo_board/54098_20060401172157_2.jpg

Here Amazing pictures!

The owner of this car has made it possible to enjoy his Xbox in the car!
    Nevigation system, dvd player, and EVEN KARAOKE! are available.

But, There was no mention about its cost.
  • Options
    http://www.sonataclub.net/board/data/photo_board/blueblackDSC02624.jpg

Super vision instrument cluster.

That looks better :shades:
  • Options
    "...So if I want my car to have lights during the day, it better be the Fog Lights, than the headlights, I think you'd agree with me..."

I made no presumption regarding day or night operation. To reiterate, driving solely with fog lights illuminated is a code violation in some locales, so it's no accident that OEM foglights on current cars are interlocked with use of headlights. As to bulb maintenance, on some cars replacement of foglight bulbs entails dropping the front bumper for access.
  • Options
    mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    yes! now that is what we need for the '07
  • Options
    driving solely with fog lights illuminated is a code violation in some locales

--What about driving with NO LIGHTS DURING THE DAY? Is that a code violation in those locales?
  • Options
    Yeah, I think he should check the code. Seems to me it would apply when fog lights soley were being used when headlights should be turned on.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    To the best of my knowledge it is a violation in Pa. to have your driving/fog lamps wired to high beams or separately...you cannot pass state inspection. It is recommended that you use your low beams when you need your wipers during the day otherwise.... during the day no lights no problem.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I am in Chicago for a few days and am seeing lots of '06 Sonatas driving around the western suburbs. Mostly GLS V6 models, some LXes. I suppose some of these are rentals, but hard to tell how many. Just seeing all the Sonatas driving around would lead someone to believe it is a popular car. Hmmm, maybe that is a thought behind the fleet sales strategy?
  • Options
    I have checked the vehicle code for one state, desertguy: California. Driving during daylight hours, even in clear, dry weather conditions, with only the parking lights or the fog lights lit is a ticketable offense throughout the state. (Whether a particular policeman, sherrif, marshal, or highway patrolman will jump at the chance to ruin your day is an entirely unrelated matter...) For whatever reason, at least some states or municipalities have, in their infinite wisdom, legislated that auxilliary lighting must only be used in conjunction with the basic headlight system when a vehicle is operated on public highways - which by legal definition includes civic, county, state, and federal thoughoughfares under the local jurisdiction of civic, county, and state police agencies.

(By the way, folks, it matters not one wit to me whether any of you believe or even like the information. I pass it along for your benefit, but I have no vested interest one way or another. So, this is my last post on the subject. It's well past time to move on.)
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    Please define lots. I live and work there (western burbs) and while I do see them I wouldn't classify it as seeing lots.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D