Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Oddity: Some want Nav. Some want to change sound system channels/ stations on the steering wheel so they don't have to take their eyes off the road. Some want both.

I have to look at the sound system for about 1 second to see the button I want to push. Now, to look at a map, I don't know how long that would take, probably more than 1 second.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The better nav systems these days are voice-enabled, so you don't even have to look at the screen. I was a passenger in a Prius with voice nav in England last year, and it had a sexy female voice--with a British accent of course. :)
  • Options
    cumptrnrdcumptrnrd Member Posts: 53
    The passenger seat belt warning light is spontaneous. It will be off when I come home and turn the car off, but will be on the next morning when I start the car again, even though nothing has touched the passenger seat the entire night. It's strange...

Thanks for all the replies regarding the windshield. I've made an appointment to take my car to the dealership on Tuesday, and now I can go in with some knowledge of the problem rather than just having to take whatever the dealer tells me.

I'll let you all know how it goes.
  • Options
    jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    It sounds like your windshield problem is a stress fracture and should be covered under warranty.

Here in Massa2schitts, full glass insurance coverage is only $8 per year. Considering all the light trucks on the road without rear mud flaps (i.e., a 12" to 18" gap to hurl road debris at following vehicles), one would be crazy not to opt for it.
  • Options
    scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    Ray, Here is what I know.

I had the rotten egg smell in the cabin of my Toyota periodically since ownership. It was sometimes noticeable in stop and go traffic and when present, it did not make a difference whether I had the AC on recirculate or not. On one of my oil changes, I asked Toyota about it and they looked up a TSB that said bad gas and suggested I change to premium. But I was already using premium, so I just went on my merry way. After some time and still having this problem intermittently, I looked around on the internet includng the Edmunds boards and found there was actually a TSB for replacing the catalytic convereter due to the rotten egg smell. I went back to the dealer armed with this new info. They claimed they did not know about the second TSB and promptly replaced my catalytic converter as called for in the TSB (different part number from original cc). I have not had the rotten egg smell since this change in parts. If all the gas stations I frequent in my area and along my travels suddenly changed the sulfur content in their gas at the same time I had the TSB applied, it would be quite a coincidence. :)

There are many things that don't make sense to me. Not all owners are having this rotten egg smell problem (or at least not complaining about it). Some Toyota's are still having problems with the smell and Toyota is continuing to replace the catalytic converter. BTW, the TSB states that this repair is done under the emissions warranty (100,000 miles, I think).
  • Options
    rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    I have a Nav in my Sonata with a sexy female voice to provide turn by turn directions, whenever my wife is in the car. When she's not I use the Garmin Street Pilot 5i which like my wife is a small wonder and also has a sexy female voice. The 5i is attached to a suction cup mount on my windshield (when I'm in the car and locked in my glove box when I'm not). The 5i is very easy to use, very fast in acquiring the satellite, and very accurate in advising me about distances to the next turn. It cost me $408.00 at Circuit City and can be had even cheaper from some online sites. I know Edmunds has a Nav forum which is a more appropriate place to post info pertaining to a portable in car GPS. However, I couldn't resist posting it in this forum to let everyone know you can have Nav in your Sonata, here and now.
  • Options
    krikakrika Member Posts: 49
    Its not that simple. See, if there was no steering wheel controls at all in the first place nobody would complain. I am sure owners of 'older' cars are pretty much satisfied with pushing the buttons on the dash. I was once too. If you put steering wheel controls for the least used features (Mode - AM/FM/CD) and omit the steering wheel control for the most used feature (changing track) then you are not serving the purpose and its like a half-meal. You get a taste but your tummy is not full ;) . Moreover changing track in city driving is not a big deal where speeds are manageable if you are off course. Again if you don't like to listen to a song you gotta change track immediately. (this is a spoiled way to 'pleasurize' your senses) :P It is an instantaneous event. You don't want to wait till you get clear traffic and then change track when you have listened half way through the song.

Coming to Navigation, if you are on a highway you most probably won't need the navigation except for the exit number. And even if you have to look you can look at the screen well before you actually reach the event, well before when you can make sure that the traffic is clear. When you would be looking at the Nav screen in city driving again, as I said, its manageable. This is not an instantaneous event its a planned event so you will have a choice when you want to look at the screen - like when there is no car ahead of you at which you are tailgating ;) There will be situations where you would need to instantaneously need to refer to the Nav screen. And thats when you wish they install a futuristic Nav screen blended into the windsheild right in front of your eyes.

See, I told you its not that simple. :shades:
  • Options
    ace35ace35 Member Posts: 131
    well i would think the reason audio controls are placed on the sterring wheel is for you to use them. Not go back and fourth between the sterring wheel and radio. Ive never seen a setup on a vehicle that includes audio controls on the sterring wheel but excludes a seek button. So regardless it if takes 1sec. or 2, its an omisson on hyundai's part, hopefully it will be avail on 07's.
  • Options
    eaglealeagleal Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2006 sonata with 1300 miles. Very happy with all but (1) MPG, which I hope will improve 18 mpg city, 26 highway. My big concern (2) is a noise (boom) that is generated when the car goes over an inch or two bump like a manhole depression in the road. It sounds like its coming from the right side rear trunk area. I have tightened down everything in the trunk area to no avail. Its a boom boom sound. Its too loud. It could be the inside trunk lid cover (that black felty thing). Other than that the car is very quiet. I know the 17" tires ride hard, the tire press is reading 30 lbs.psi. Any thoughts or ideas?
  • Options
    johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    This is a common complaint for this car. Did you happen to use the search function on the forum to research it? To date, nobody has figured out exactly what it is, but there are a lot of posts about it. Most people describe it as a "clunking" sound.
  • Options
    blnewtoblnewto Member Posts: 146
    I've noticed the same thing w/ our GLS V6 w/ 16" wheels, although I have the PSI cranked up to 40 in our tires. It seems like it's a shock/suspension issue, like the shocks are able to absorb large bumps but don't respond well to small "washboard" type bumps.
  • Options
    mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    I am a big believer in DRL.... Too many times I had close-calls with others driving with their lights off on rainy/snowy days....

I found out that leaving the switch on "Auto" is nice, but it turns on the lights only when it's really dark already.

Lights switched to "On" on the other hand, driving with your full-blown lights on bright, sunny days seems a total waste to me.

So I decided I want my lights to go on automatically when it's getting just a bit darker on late afternoon, or on cloudy days, which would cover also rainy or snowy conditions.

The solution is really simple: I used a black electrical tape to cover the lower part of the round black photo-cell element which is on the passenger-side of the dashboard. That way less light is measured by the elemnet, and it causes my headlights to turn on when they are really needed, and not only at night.
  • Options
    DRL's are a good feature. Since my '05 doesn't have them I leave the headlights on all the time (they turn off when the engine is turned off & the parking lights turn off when the car door is opened).

I don't see any "waste" in this practice, other than a light may have to be changed somewhat more frequently. In 45 years I have had to change head lamps, I think, 3 times. So, to take it to an extreme, if I have to change a headlamp every 5 years, that's a small price to pay for the added visibility to oncoming traffic. (Daytime lamps will also burn out). The tail lights being "on" may also have a small benefit to help being seen.

Anyway, having the lights on doesn't cost an increase your electricity bill and doesn't decrease your gas milage. I fail to see a "waste" in having the headlights on all the time.
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    Anyway, having the lights on doesn't cost an increase your electricity bill and doesn't decrease your gas milage. I fail to see a "waste" in having the headlights on all the time.

Theoretically, it does reduce your mileage to run lights and other electrical devices. 1 horsepower is sapped away from the engine to run each 745 watts of electrical devices. But you're right in that it's well worth it, and miniscule anyway.
  • Options
    I have not touched my headlights switch for the past 13 years and 4 cars.... Some came with auto-lights (3 Camrys) and the other I actually PAID some $200 to install them (on a '95 Accord)....

But now, driving the Sonata, with the Fog-Lights on (the indicator on the dashboard tells me my headlights are on), I feel that on bright, sunny days the headlights are doing absolutely nothing to make my car more "visible"....

But than on an overcast, cloudy, gray day, it IS an advantage. Certainly when it's raining. That's why I made the modification, so that when the ambient light is low, even before dusk, my lights will do the job.
  • Options
    dan42dan42 Member Posts: 32
    Has anyone heard of any of the new changes for the upcoming new 2007 Sonata, or seen any spy pics. Wondering if they will change to blue dash lights like the new Elantra.
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    I bet we'll all get to find out in about four more months.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Rumors are the 2007 Sonata will come out early, i.e. May.
  • Options
    Dealership found the point of impact... :(

The glass guys the dealership works with might be able to replace it for $225 though if the guy's supplier makes the right kind of windshield.

Are there any differences in quality or anything like that between a factory and aftermarket windshield?
  • Options
    phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    Well, its nice to have several replies and comments in regards to the thread I poster a few weeks ago in ragards to DRL`s. I have had the DRL`s installed in 5 of my past Ford vehicles. The Ford Genuine Replacement after-market module-relay kit was a mere $50. but the installation at a Ford dealership to assure proper wiring, and warrant preservation add an additional 2 hours labour time for a cost of between $160. to $200. Instructions claim a good Ford Electrical Mechanic can do in 30 mins or less...sure! Back to the Hyundia lack of DRL`s on US cars. Until Hyundia USA joins Hyundia Canada and install the DRL device on all vehicles at point of manufacture,at least make a Hyundia approved aftermarket part which Hyundia dealers can install for those of us who would like this safety feature. These (tricks) to jimmy-rig your Sonata to get the headlight to come on at dusk or when raining is only have the solution. In a strong sunny day, DRL`s alert oncuming traffic of your exisitance to prevent head on crashes. Motorcycles all have this feature. To tape (half) the sensor does nothing for sunny daytime needs and also I might add, without the module-relay, your low beam is being illuminated too brightly. The DRL low beam is but 80% stength of full low beam. Thanks for informing me that rear tail lights are not an issue being illuminated all day with the head lights are on cause you can shut them off by (opening a door) while driving or standing at a stop light? I just might have to call the Hyundia Manufacturing Plant in Alabama and speak to someone in vehicle design an engineering and find out what part or parts that Canadian bound Sonata`a have that we might add to US Sonata`s to give us this handy safety feature without paying hundreds of dollars for a wiring harness replacement. Listen Hyundia....Maybe DRL`s on 07 or 08 Hyundia vehicles for USA cars too?
  • Options
    Call your insurance agent. Or if you deal direct with a company, call their claims department. On a new car you undoubtedly have comprehensive/other than collison coverage. All my clients have "zero" deductible for glass (it's inexpensive).

Your agent/company should be able to arrange for the repair at your convenience (i.e come to you at home or work). And they deal with reputable repair facilities; not that you dealer recommendation wouldn't be reputable, but there would be no question that you will have a proper windshield (safety certified) installed in your car.
  • Options
    I think there's a misunderstanding. I said I didn't think the tail lights being on were a waste. I did say that the headlights turn off when the ignition is turned off. NEXT STEP, when you open the door (after turning off the ignition) the parking lights, which includes tail lights turn off.
  • Options
    mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    i emailed hyundai canada and they seemed to think it would come out july-august. i would love a May release though.

my guess is that we'll see a new steering wheel and blue lights on the dash. throw in some new colour choices (maybe even a black interior) and you have yourself an '07 Sonata.
  • Options
    747pilot747pilot Member Posts: 38
    Today I noticed something bizzare happening with my CD player. Every time a song ends and it changes tracks you will get a loud static sound coming from the speakers. When the next song starts in works normally again. It just started happening today out of the blue. It worked earlier today no problem. Its an LX with the 6 disk CD changer Mach sound system.

I will have it addressed at the dealer soon but very bizzare. Never heard a CD player do that before.

Anyone else get this? Sounds like a failed muting circuit during track changes. Probably something deep in the logic circuits. Heck if its like an airplane or computer it might just go away next time the car is started.
  • Options
    johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    There is a search function available for this forum for research. This question has been asked and addressed a thousand times already. Not trying to give you a hard time or anything, but when new people join the board it's the same questions over and over and over and over...
  • Options
    The same thing happened to me ONCE, but it never happened again after the next time I started the car up. I hate those random problems because they never want to show up at the dealership!
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    I can do without the blue dash lights however. This will be enough for me not to buy a 2007 Sonata. Personally, I find blue dash lights to be very "trendy," and not something that will be around long. Plus, it's not a good choice optically in terms of the light wavelength spectrum. For the younger demographic, it may be fine, but I don't think Hyundai's target demographic for the Sonata is the 25 year old driver.

With the technology available now, a manufacuturer could make the dash lights color selectable at the flip of a mechanical switch, or toggling a software switch.
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    Some manufacturer...Ford, I think, already has owner choice instrument colors. I also think this feature is on the Mustang and includes dozens of colors selectable by the owner. Too much choice for me!!!
  • Options
    tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    Amen! I think some people just look for things to whine about!
  • Options
    acronisacronis Member Posts: 29
    It's funny you know to read about how the biggest complaint about the 2006 Sonata is the lack of seek controls on the steering wheel-not to say it is not a quirk- but imagine how you would feel if you are the owner of say a new '07 Camry and your biggest complaint is the tranny. Seems that's whats plaguing this model. Though it only appears to be a problem on their V6.

All in all Sonata has been a very quality call overall given the fact that it's in its first year as a re-design. Certain that Hyundai will address several of the annoyances in the '07 Sonata which have already been mentioned on this board.
  • Options
    747pilot747pilot Member Posts: 38
    My CD player is now working normally this morning. So who knows what caused the problem.
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Re: The Camry. This from todays Car Connection.

"Toyota Recalling Camry

The newest edition of the Toyota Camry is being recalled for a problem with the transmission. The problem, Toyota says, involved only a half-percent of Camrys built thus far for the 2007 model year. The new six-speed automatic transmission could lose second and sixth gear during operation. Toyota told Reuters the vehicle still will operate even if the gears are lost, and that the problem usually happens within the first 500 miles of use."
  • Options
    Phill, I see your point in installing DRL in your Ford vehicles, and PAY for it... I've done it in the past, installed automatic lights in an old '95 Accord. Cost me some $200 but I thought it to be important and convenient (having 3 Camrys with auto-headlights and never having to be bothered with my headlights)...

HOWEVER, I don't see any reason to spend another $200 on the Sonata, when the car has auto headlights ALREADY. OK, so it's not the REAL DRL, but you can drive with your light on day and night, and never have to worry about it, since they will shut off automatically when you turn the ignition off.
  • Options
    j_bm123j_bm123 Member Posts: 5
    Hello everyone. I would like to know if anyone out there is experiencing a hesitation between 1st and 2nd Gear. I have a Canadian V6 GLS Luxury. I think this may be affecting my gas mileage as the RPM's go over 3,000 before shifting. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone know if it can be fixed under warranty? Thank You. :confuse:
  • Options
    Are saying your RPM goes over 3,000 in FIRST, before shifting to 2nd?!?! Kind of hard to believe... If your car does that you must hear quite some NOISE coming from your engine....

But it's true, one of the "weird" characteristics about the Sonata's gear is that "hesitation" or rather "dead spot" or "hickup" as others have called it. It happens only when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and some posts appeared here about it, already. Actually I notice the 1st gear being very SHORT, before shifting to 2nd... Some owners have actually reported starting from the 2nd gear (using manual), without any problem...

It looks like NORMAL, since so many have noticed it. I read a post from an owner who has over 5,000 miles on the car, and claims that "hickup" disappears with time (and mileage). Either way, unless you REALLY get to over 3,000 before your gear shifts to 2nd -- don't worry about it.
  • Options
    j_bm123j_bm123 Member Posts: 5
    There are actual instances where the engine revs up loudly to 3K RPM and then shifts. I do sometimes use manual and start in 2nd and it does work OK. This maybe normal for a 2006 Sonata but is it truly NORMAL for a car? Would you know of another vehicle that operates this way? Do you think it can be adjusted somehow in the computer at the dealer? It must be sucking gas like crazy working this way? Thanks
  • Options
    If you're flogging the engine at a stop light, it will rev accordingly. If you floor it, it will rev to 6000 RPM before shifting to 2nd. That's normal for any automatic transmission. If you put the pedal about half way down, it will rev to ~3000 before shifting to 2nd, but may "hunt" a second or 2 before shifting unless you let off a bit. That's normal too. If you feather the throttle normally, it will shift to 2nd at 1500-2000RPM without a sudden engine speed-up. This is normal. If the engine speeds up while in the middle of the 1-2 shift, the computer probably needs tweaking.
  • Options
    phill1phill1 Member Posts: 319
    Besides the previously mentioned reasons genuine DRL`s differ from the easy fix you recommend, the main difference and most important as far as safety is concerned is the DRL module/relay (reduces) the low beam power to a mere 80% output. This may seem like not a big issue, but headlight glare at full power is one reason the NHTSA has not mandated their installation in all US vehicles because of this potential irritating glare immitted during the daytime with low beams at full power. Oh as well as the minor added expense to the car manufacturer. Once an for all make a decision on DRL`s in the USA. Either its is a good idea an should be mandated by law as in Canada on all cars and trucks or.....its a bad idea and outlaw them once an for all. This patchwork where some domestic and foreign manufacturers are at liberty to install one year and delete the following is assinine. Its simple....DEAL or NO DEAL!
  • Options
    I think thats excellent that the biggest complaint is the lack of seek controls on the sterring wheel, this goes to show hyundai has done there homework with the sonata and the vehicle is an excellent value, with outstanding quality that cannot be overlooked. I think its cool that Sonata has upped the midsize game so much so, that the Sonata is now the vehicle of which all midsized vehicles are judged. I honestly havent seen a vehicle in this class that offers half as much value, safety and practicality for the money. I also like the new hyundai comericials "dare to compare" im sure if most consumer do compare the sonata to the competition there will be no comparision for the money. (unlike gm's comercials head to head comparo's, i feel if most consumers compare they will not buy the gm product. totally inferior vehicles). just felt compelled to post im really a fan of hyundai of late
  • Options
    Don't get carried away ace. The Camry and Accord do not cost 100% more than the Sonata. You get maybe 25% more for the money tops.
  • Options
    Yes, I totaly agree with you, Phill. I would expect the US government to do the right thing and mandate DRL in every car. It sure will add safety and save money (and human lives) down the road.

BUT DON'T EXPECT IT SOON. As ANYTHING in this country, it's ALL POLITICS. Things go very slow there, in DC, when it comes to the REAL needs of we, the people.
  • Options
    wildcatterwildcatter Member Posts: 5
    If you have a '06 Sonata, you probably have the option of activating DRL (day-time running lights). I was perusing the 2006 Sonata shop manuals (2 HUGE volumes) at my dealer's, to find out the options for activating the automatic door locks when the car is under way. I was surprised to see DRL is an option (#7 I think) in the list of options in the MB? (Master Body (something) box.

I plan to have the auto locks activated (they were used on my 2002 Taurus), and will consider having the DRL activated, too. (I remember a posting a while back by a Canadian reporting bringing a car home (from Florida I believe) who was asking about after-market kits for DRL. He should go to a Hyundai dealer to see about having it activated, rather than trying to possibly mess up his wiring with a kit.)
  • Options
    when did i indicated that those vehicles cost 100% more. im simply implying that once u add the features that sonata has to the camcords, your spending much more money, while i do like the camcords, i feel like these days the playing field has been leveled in regards to vehicle reliablity and pretty much all vehicles are reliable. So when it comes to value content for "my" money im gonna go with the best i can get. For instance ESC is standard fare on sonata, to even get this feature on accord you must step up to a v6, and with camry while it can be had on the 4, from what i read its very hard to find on the CE's. So my point was to say the value quotient is better with the sonata
  • Options
    acronisacronis Member Posts: 29
    Ace35 I couldn't agree with you more. The quality equation is quickly gaining traction with consumers. Based on the comments that I've read from readers on Consumers Reports.com to the consumer auto reviews on MSN and countless other forums the newly re-designed Sonata has been a success for Hyundai in the U.S. market and barring any major set backs and based on the sales trends, it seems the Sonata is on track to some day challenge the camcords.
  • Options
    Wildcatter, that's GREAT info, thanks so much....

I'm wondering just HOW does the DRL is working on the Sonata... Maybe one Canadian owner can tell us? How does it work with the Auto lights that we have here in the US?

DRL is great, but the question is, how it is set up.... My daughter's new Civic has DRL, but then she needs to bother turning her headlights on in the evening and turn them off when parking her car... Which is not what I'd like to have on my Sonata....
  • Options
    lxcanlxcan Member Posts: 14
    Hi folks. In Canada we do have DRLs on the 06 Sonata, however the auto option is not available. It's a bit weird because one of the demo cars at my local dealer had the switch with 4 positions - Off, Pak Lights, Headlights ON and Auto. But my car which is the premium model only has 3 positions. Maybe Hyundai made a change mid cycle? The lights do turn themselves off once you open the door (with the key out of ignition) though. The DRLs come on automatically once the park brake is released. This is really a lower intensity of the High beam set up (from what I can tell). They have no effect on the "Night-time Lights" (the round reflector ones).

While we're discussing lights, a great upgrade is the PIAA Extreme White bulbs. Do a Google search... Much brighter than stock bulbs.
  • Options
    ...So let me get it right, Ixcan:

Are you saying that with your system I would NEVER TOUCH THE HEADLIGHTS SWITCH, once I turn it to the (which?) position?

In other words, during the day, the DRL would have my headlights on at lower intensity, and when it becomes dark the lights would turn into full intensity?

Also, when I turn the ignition off the lights would automaticaly shut off?

What about the back lights? Are they off during DRL and come on when the headlights go to full intensity?
  • Options
    mistermister1mistermister1 Member Posts: 7
    Mamamia2 - The Canadian Sonata has three positions for the light switch. When the car is turned on and the switch is off, the DRL are on and the tail lights are off. It is a low intensity light, but does not change when it becomes dark. DRL are not for use at night - they're not bright enough. Position 2 is your typical parking lights (tail lights are on). Position 3 is your typical night time headlights and tail lights. (When you turn the car off and leave the lights "on" in position 3, they will go out.) And position 3 also has your typical high beams available.

It is possible to never touch the headlights switch, but it wouldn't make sense to do that. You could leave the lights in position 3, the normal night time driving position, and they will go out when the car is turned off. But that shortens the life of the headlights since the night time beam would be in use 100% of the time. Better to use DRL during the day (lower intensity high beam), and regular headlights at night. In the daytime you're trying to be seen (rather than see), so DRL are fine.
  • Options
    jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    Hey everyone. With gas prices on the rise I'm considering trading in my '01 Chevy Blazer for an '06 Sonata. My concern is that some reports I have read say the fuel mileage for the "tested" cars has been disappointing. What kind of mileage has everyone here been getting?

Also, I am a firm believer that a rear deck lid spoiler completes a car, but don't see one available for the Sonata. Has anyone here put one on and if so, what kind and where did you purchase it from?