Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• Options
    dragonspankdragonspank Member Posts: 11
    Hey guys,
    I recorded the new commercial and went over it a few times. I could be wrong but the guages look exactly the same. I called my friend Danielle in Hyundai and she said although she can't give out any info regarding specs it does appear the guages are the same.

Between you and me I would like to see red Audi guages...maybe they'll still do it..or maybe theres yet another commercial I haven't seen?
  • Options
    joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    On this page it says 2007MY for the Sonata and the Azera:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/abouthyundai/ourcompany/home.aspx

Typo or previews of things to come?

On that note, this is a cool campaign in which I've been told Hyundai USA will roll out soon...

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/abouthyundai/rethink/rethink.aspx
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Thanks for the web address. The current commercial is on the site so you can all see the gauges. And BTW, there is no mention of what year we are looking at in the commercial but the main page says 2007.
  • Options
    tbear503tbear503 Member Posts: 70
    That's not the next Sonata, but a new RWD luxury car, to be listed above the Azera.
  • Options
    dragonspankdragonspank Member Posts: 11
    Thats the same commercial I have on record. It seems like what we are seeing is a color bleed(reflections) from the red line guage needles. When you see the commercial on TV look at it on big screen and you will see that there still green. Though it would be nice to have some new guages like on the Santa Fe.

Also, does anyone know if you can get the NAV computer in the Sonata? I've seen them sold with it in other countries.
  • Options
    Can someone tell me more about the new ad? Does anyone have it saved? It's on the Hyundai homepage?

Anyway, as for the NAV, it is in fact available in other markets, but not in the NA market as factory option(although it is available as dealer-installed option). I would say it is not available initially for good reasons - price and value.
  • Options
    lxcanlxcan Member Posts: 14
    I'm not saying it's not for the NA market Ace. I had seen a different ad. with the tunnel. Sorry. :blush: Anyway, it looks like they're adding chrome accents next to the Hyundai emblem. I already had that done to my car because it just looks better. This design should age well IMO.
  • Options
    hdsithdsit Member Posts: 58
    I have had rear end rotating parts shifted plus 4 new brake rotors. But it still is wobble/bumping around at 60-75 km/h (37-46 mph). Have also noticed that it is more pronounced when on long trips and now when we have almost summer-temperature.
    Have mentioned eventually shift of suspension parts to hyundai tech. again, but he did'nt think that is where the problem is. - But maybe it still is. Went on a longer trip yesterday. And the problem is still bothering and irritate me very much.
    I really dont know anymore what to think and do.

I have read the new site: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/abouthyundai/rethink/rethink.aspx
    and i can't imagine that this flaw should have been passed through their quality check.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    No, it should not have passed their quality check. Too bad you didn't notice it on your test drive--you could have refused delivery until the problem was corrected, or demanded a different car.
  • Options
    bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    The rear end of a FWD car is very simple. There are only 3-4 rotating parts, and only rotating parts can generate constant noise. If the rotating parts have been eliminated as the cause, then it must be something causing small, normal noises to amplify and transmit into the cabin. Check for missing plastic bushings and rubber pads. Maybe shoot some extra undercoating under the floor and trunk. That big trunk is a perfect resonating chamber for noises.

Maybe you are hyper-sensitive to that particular noise, or maybe even a little obsessed with it. Try tuning it out. No matter what vehicle you are riding in, if you TRY to hear noises, I'll guarantee you that you will hear them. ;)
  • Options
    lservelserve Member Posts: 50
    Yes, its at the site at the link that has been mentioned:

Just select the Sonata photo showing the rear tail light and click play.

It appears that they are show casing a new ad campaign.
  • Options
    hm... - i certainly observed it through my 4 testdrives, and mentioned it off course to the dealer, before i signed the contracts. I was told that it just was a minor tyre problem which it also certainly seems to be.
    First around six months later (and after numerous tryes to solve the problem among other: 5 different brands/sets of tyres (goodyear, michelin and continental was tried), shifting of driving shaft, hubs and bearing front and rear, brake rotors, and countless balancing of the tyres including dynamic, and rotate with the tyres on the car), Hyundai Denmark stated that it is a common "problem" (said it is just how the car i build and designed) with the 3.3 model, and that they can nothing do about it.

Someone mentioned earlier - "CHECK SUSPENSION - ALWAYS SUSPENSION"
    The technician at Hyundai Denmark said that it is unlikely that the suspension is causing this problems

Then i was wondering:
    Does anyone know what brand the shock are from, and what type (gas/oil)
    I think it seems that the car is very sensitive to small bumps/rough roadsurface
    (while it absorbs bigger holes/bumps better). It feels like it is "nervous" or how can i explain - it is very soft, and not good to absorb small bumps.

And then i was thinking: Could a small out-of-round/a flat spot oo one or more tyres in combination with shocks, that is maybe not optimal and to soft, be the problem.

If so - what about changing the shocks to a more stiffer/firmer brand/type

Or am i far out...

Beginning to be rather tired of playing engineer/technician for Hyundai Denmark, which not seem to take my problem serious.
    So far they have not come up with any constructive and usefull solutions. All that has been done so far on my car, has been initiated from my proposals that i have got in this forum.
    No one besides me have complained yet here in Denmark(thats at least what they say)...
    Maybe that's one of the problems.

So now i feel that i'm with my back against the wall, and really dont know what to do/try.
  • Options
    It is not a noise problem - See my other reply for more explanation.
  • Options
    While it is no consolation to you, you have given us a good lesson:

1) Never accept delivery of a new car with a significant problem unless you are willing to live with it.

2) Get everything in writing.
  • Options
    You are damn right...
    (I will add to #1: It was first a significant problem after about six months - when they realised that it was not just a minor tyre problem...)
  • Options
    ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "I was told that it just was a minor tyre problem which it also certainly seems to be."

I had a similar problem with a '78 Oldsmobile after purchasing a full set of new tires prior to taking a cross-country vacation trip across the breadth of the U.S. At about 55 mph, the rear end performed a St. Vitas dance. I had the tires balanced six successive times trying to tame the vibration, but nothing helped. Finally, in a small Kentucky town, I stopped at a GM dealership (handled all GM makes and John Deere farm implements, too). The service adviser noted my California plates and rushed my car right in. A very astute tech put the car on a lift, raised it just high enough to elevate the tires off the shop floor and started the engine with the transmission shifted into "Drive". The problem became apparent immediately even with the engine idling. As the tires rotated at idle speed, the treads of both rear tires were wiggling like a worm. The tread belts had shifted in their casing due to a manufacturing flaw. Since the treads were in constant lateral motion, that translated to the rear end shimmy. Once I got the tires replaced under the tire manufacturer's warranty, everything smoothed right out. Might be worth checking out on your car if your dealer hasn't already tried.
  • Options
    miamixtmiamixt Member Posts: 600
    Great Commercial, missed seeing it, just heard 30 seconds of mostly growl. Had to go to the site to view it again as a slide show, just have dial up. How did the 07 lose one HP :confuse:
  • Options
    I just caught it on one of the local TV stations - GREAT commercial!! Where is it online?

The one HP lost might be due to SAE certification - no biggie...
  • Options
    Yes, its at the site at the link that has been mentioned:

Just select the Sonata photo showing the rear tail light and click play.

It appears that they are show casing a new ad campaign.
  • Options
    dan42dan42 Member Posts: 32
    Can anyone see any of the differences from the 06. Looks like the interior is the same, hoewever hard to tell with so little video of it. Thought they would at least get rid of the green interior dash lights.
  • Options
    dan42dan42 Member Posts: 32
    Tell me its not so. :cry:
  • Options
    Dan, I watched it painfully slide by slide online for 9 minutes, it's the same Car!

Breaking news. Just saw it again on Fox, My God!
  • Options
    lservelserve Member Posts: 50
    Do we know that new Ad = 2007 model? It may be that car in the Ad is a 2006 model.
  • Options
    I am sure that Ad featured the 2006 Model. I doubt there will be many, if any changes in the 2007 Model. I am surprised though the new campaign is marketing the V6 Sonata as a mini muscle sports car, which in fact it is!
  • Options
    tinydog1tinydog1 Member Posts: 83
    I purchased a 2006 Sonata Lx at the end of March and am also experiencing what feels like a badly out of round tire. It feels like a wobble between 40-45mph. At first I thought it was my imagination or the road surface. I took it in to the dealer because of a vibration at 65-70mph. They swapped out 2 tires for excessive road force variance which cured my high speed vibration but still feel the wobble at 40-45mph. It seem to be worse the first time I reach that speed, but can always feel it to some degree thereafter. After all they have done to your vehicle with no solution I wonder what my dealer can do to resolve this problem. It is not that big of an issue since I rarely drive at that speed, but it still mars what would be a great all around driving experience. I also own an Azera and have experienced absolutely no problems in 5 months of ownership. Good luck, I hope someone finds a solution to our problem.
  • Options
    johnap2johnap2 Member Posts: 105
    I agree with your posting. We have been talking this topic to DEATH for the last few months. There is no way Hyundai is going to make the 2007 significantly different than the redesigned 2006. Maybe some exterior color options and an interior tweak or two, but reading these "wish lists" it would take a complete redesign to make some people happy. I would go as far as to think some people are holding out till the 2007 model year because they expect some sort of significant changes. I have no real knowledge of what Hyundai is going to do, but all my money would be on the opinion of minimalistic changes.
  • Options
    mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    Hyundai would probably solve the SUSPENSION problem, which has been a real and consistent complaint of the V6 owners (somehow I4 cars don't seem to have that problem)...

Also, they should upgrade the Audio-Control on the steering wheel, another complaint of too many Sonata owners...

Otherwise, no, it wouldn't make any LOGICAL SENSE to already change the sheet metal of a one year old design (even though the car has been around since 2004 in Korea and a few other far east markets...).
  • Options
    Forget about any sheet metal changes. But little tweaks like the audio controls or changing the option/feature mix are very realistic.
  • Options
    Availablity of factory XM option?
  • Options
    metafizikmetafizik Member Posts: 6
    I am not nitpicker and sometimes get incensed at some of the comments made here. In any case we own high end 2005 and 2006 Sonata LX's and have practically no complaints with either model. Furthermore we have been impressed with our dealer throughout the ownership process except for the "company man" service mgr. As far as performance, value and general quality we have been extremely impressed with both vehicles. In fact I only have 1 complaint with each vehicle and both times the srvc mgr has managed to piss me off spouting the company line(ie., he is doing his job and saving the dealer money.) My gripe with the 2005 is that the wipers bang hard(for a new car) against the left side(stop)even at low speeds. It would seem to me that it shouldn't be a difficult adjustment to make. I mentioned this at the 1st service and he said he would look into it. Not a problem until it was obvious that this was only lip service. The wife drives this car so it doesn't bother me anymore so it's out of sight and out of mind. On the 2006 which I cannot rave about enough for numerous reasons the only gripe I have is that it has a band of what looks like galvanized metal around the perimiter of the rear brake disks and it is discolored such that it almost looks rusty. The srvc mgr said they all have this trait and that this is normal. I'm no expert and haven't examinded others a few months old but this looks like a flaw that can easily be fixed with a bit of sanding and a light coating of some kind of chrome spray or whatever. My question is has any of you experienced either of these problems with your 2005/6 Sonatas? If I was a nitpicker I would have pressed both these issues but I/we are totally impressed with the quality of both these vehicles concerning the things that are really important. Furthermore I wouldn't have such a negative impression of this srvc mgr if he hadn't looked at me like I had 3 heads when I presented him a coupon for 15% off parts that the dealership sent me via email and continue to send(in his name now.) Yes it probably a conflict of personalities but I do want to know if anyone has experienced the problems I described and if so how how you dealt with them? IMO both these vehicles are the best automotive values available anywhere for the $$$.
  • Options
    Sure, that too as it has already been announced.
  • Options
    "...the only gripe I have is that it has a band of what looks like galvanized metal around the perimiter of the rear brake disks and it is discolored such that it almost looks rusty..."

Is this band part of the rotor or a seperate stamping of stationary sheet metal attached behind the rotor? If the latter, it sounds like a dust shield that does double duty directing airflow onto the rotor. Its appearance is irrelevant and the piece may already have an anti-corrosion plating. If the band is part of the rotor itself, it could well be rust - rotors are machined out of cast iron. The area not swept by the pads will develop a layering of rust. But, it's harmless.
  • Options
    mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Has anyone heard if the 5-speed auto will be offered with the 2.4L like in the Optima? The Optima EX with the 2.4L and standard 5-speed auto looks like a nice car.
  • Options
    mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    I would actually be curious to read what DIFFERENCES can you tell us about, between the '05 and '06 Sonata, metafizik...

Excpet for the LOOKS, of course...
  • Options
    nacenace Member Posts: 45
    can someone tell me what makes up the basic warranty, of the 2006 sonata gls V6 ? also what does the extended warranty consist of,and is it worth the extra cost?
    thank you.
  • Options
    I think this page has all the details you are looking for--the last link talks about the extended warranty:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/global/warranty/warranty.aspx

As for whether the extended warranty is worth it... think of it as an insurance policy (which it really is). You could invest the premium (or pay off some debt) over the 10 years and maybe double your money. Will you pay that much in non-powertrain repairs in years 6-10? Hard to say. But you might sleep better knowing you are covered. Also the extended warranty is transferrable to the 2nd owner, which should increase the resale value and/or make the car easier to sell.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It only adds 15 or 40K miles raising the bumper to bumper warranty to either 75K or 100K from the standard 60K miles.
    If the pricing is high, it may not be worth it. Better off getting rid of the car before 60K miles instead if the car seems to be trouble prone. You can put the money you would have spent on an extended warranty towards the downpayment on the next car instead.
    The extended warranty service contract says "10 years," but unless you drive under 10K miles a year, it will be over long before the car is 10 years old. So it really isn't adding anywhere near 5 extra years of coverage for most people.

Your 4 year old Sonata with some factory warranty remaining will be easier to sell for more money than a 6 or 7 year old higher mileage used Hyundai with or without an extended warranty.
  • Options
    Nobody can read the inscrutable minds of Hyundai's product planners - and they're generally mum about new model year upgrades. (perhaps out of fear of having excessive prior model year inventory to further discount with rebates?) Americans are still waiting for factory-installed NAV systems in Hyundais, too, though the systems are offered by the company in other world markets. I agree with you - the 5-sp A/T is needed at least as much (I'd judge even more so) mated to the 2.4L I4. You've got nothing to lose by waiting four more months to see whether Hyundai comes to its senses over what was an ill-considered decision for the American market. (or is that downpayment burning a hole in your pocket? ;))
  • Options
    There are true extended warranties - but they're only available from the auto manufacturers. (By law, only a manufacturer can issue a "warranty".) There are also extended service contracts - the service "insurance" that backy referred to. Both are sold by dealers - sometimes both by a given dealer. The first simply extends the factory warranty to the overall defined time/mileage - and, since it is a true warranty, service can be performed by any selling dealership in the U.S. They're as good as the original warranty and carry the same performance liabilities protected by the Moss-Magnuson Act ammendment to the Federal Trade Commission's oversight authority. To rephrase, you have Federal protection with a "warranty". Watch out for the second - it carries no auto maker obligation. (That, in itself, does not make these instruments bad - you just have to be careful, though.) There may also be "gotchas" in the fine print obligating you to selling-dealer service at time/mileage intervals more restrictive than those spelled out in your owner's manual. (Dealerships hyper-ventilate at the prospect of a captive audience for all routine service. Getting paid to sell these instruments just increases their glee.) Failure to miss or inadvertently delay one policy-mandated service interval can terminate your coverage. (the infamous, "heads-we-win-tales-you-lose" clause...) Some of the companies offering these policies also have a disquieting habit of declaring bankruptcy about the time policy holders have enough time/mileage on their vehicles that they could become a financial liability to the company. (Realistically figure receiving notification from a bankruptcy court any time the new vehicle warranty is up if the company that issued your extended service contract has filed.) After the summary bankruptcy judgment is issued by the court - essentially absolving the old company of future liabilities on current instruments - the principals re-incorporate under a new name and the cycle starts anew. (Think Elton John's "The Circle of Life" anthem in The Lion King - but corrupted to the, "in-a-former-life-I-was-an-old-SOB-but-now-I'm-a-new-SOB" as an addendum to the previously mentioned clause...) Buyers of policies issued under the previous name are S.O.L. just when they're statistically most likely to need protection.
  • Options
    cumptrnrdcumptrnrd Member Posts: 53
    Pontiacs let you run your fog lights with just your parking lights on straight from the factory...
  • Options
    What suspension problem? I have an LX V6 and haven't noticed anything wrong with the suspension...

And I don't know if that commercial is showing a US Sonata either because that yellow turn signal thing is missing, like someone mentioned before, and it has that little extra chrome on the grill. I haven't seen any US Sonatas with that, but I think it looks better.

I don't know why everyone hates the green dash... At its brightest, it can sometimes give me headaches on long night drives. I think a brighter dash like the one in the Azera might be worse. Also, it wouldn't match all the radio controls and stuff...
  • Options
    I also noticed a lot of Sonatas in the Chicagoland area and also in the St. Louis area. Mostly 4-cyls and GLS V6s, so I still feel somewhat exclusive, but as much compared to how I felt in August of '05 when I first got the car... jk
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I had the basic knowledge concerning this issue but you have fleshed it out perfectly. thanks
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    To be honest I am not that certain about "fogs and parking lights only" being in violation of the Pa vehicle code but I am certain about the fog/highbeams. This combination will cause you a "fail" on state inspection. Before some Pa resident corrects me there are individual inspection stations who may look the other way concerning this issue...that doesn't make it legal.
  • Options
    nacenace Member Posts: 45
    i am a ready buyer for a gls V6 or LX with no options. what would be a fair dealer discount off of MSRP?
    thanks again
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    I believe that both go for around $250 over invoice plus and rebates (which I think are $2k-$2.5K). So with the GLS I would shoot for $4K under sticker, with the LX $4,200 off sticker. You might not get that much but you should get close.

Tip when your negotiating don't make the first offer, make them name a price then stall to see if they will counter offer.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    bfridellbfridell Member Posts: 10
    I got $2495 dealer discount off MSRP $21495 in the Seattle area.on 5/06/06.Plus rebates.GLS V-6_
  • Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    Thats a pretty good price, that would put it about $800 under invoice before rebates.

Now I have to ask was there a trade in involved?

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    users on various sonata forums have complained about a 'thunk' noise coming from the rear suspensions. it doesn't affect all owners.

personally i detest the green dash, the fugly needles, and the 1980s-inspired green lcd clock/ac display. once you've tried the honda dash or the toyota's opteron gauges you'll be amazed at the crisp display (or maybe not if the green is already giving you headaches). i'm sure there would also be a way to control the brightness.
  • Options
    pcs15394pcs15394 Member Posts: 27
    Tinydog1- I also have the same problem between 40 and 45 mph. Also have noticed a wobble at 65 mph. I have not had it diagnosed but afterreading hdsit's posts am wondering if there is anything they can do for it anyway. I think Hyundai Denmark went far and above what a US dealer will do for anyone.