Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata 2006-2007

Comments

• jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    I have a 2006 GLS V6. Had the dash pad replaced last fall due to a crack just left of the passenger air bag. No explanation was given as to why it may have cracked, but they did scuff the leather on the steering wheel and I think cracked the clear cover over the guages when replacing the pad. Make sure to check everything on the dash, not just the pad, to make sure it is all as it was when you took it in. I got a new steering wheel out of the deal.
  • indiumblueindiumblue Member Posts: 1
    I have an '07 Sonata with just under 30,000 miles. Car suddenly would not accelerate in drive, but would in reverse. Dealer said the throttle assembly and coil field are being replaced. Anyone else with same issue with car?
    I did test drive an '08 with the improved braking stability. Took it up to 70 and stood on brake. Car held steady and came to a smooth stop. Got a look inside an '09 Limited. OOH LAH LAH! I just may trade.
  • scarman25scarman25 Member Posts: 5
    How did you upgrade to the factory radio with XM built in? I'm considering purchasing an 06 and what bugs me the most is the lack of XM.
  • ntclawntclaw Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody out there know of any company that is making shocks for the 2006 Sonata LX? I have checked everywhere; Koni, KYB, Bilstein and last the resort Monroe they have all said no. I know there are some of us that hate the mushy ride at highway speeds. At first I was told the car is too new wait for development but 3 years now come on. I can not see going through all that work to replace the shocks with the same mushy things and I can image want price the dealers would want for them. Thanks guys hope someone can help
  • jeanc1jeanc1 Member Posts: 1
    Check this link for your shocks *

SeoulRacing

have a great day !
  • travfam1travfam1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a manual drivers seat and was considering replacing it with a power seat. Has anyone actually done this? Can it be done with the existing harness in the vehicle. The manual seat has 3 electrical connections. Anyone know how many the power seat has? Spoke to service dept.at dealer. They said would require additional harness. Anyone know for sure. Appreciate any info. Thanks.
  • needhelp18needhelp18 Member Posts: 2
    I have atough decision to make and I was hoping you guys could help me out. I recently purchased a 2007 Sonata in which my husband and I were told was an SE. My husband went to change the oil and found out that it is definitely not an SE but a GLS. We have called the dealer and he has been very accomodating since this is a mistake on his part. He has given us several options 1) bring back the car and get our money back 2) He will give us the NADA difference between the two engines or 3) He will get us a SE and we can swap as an even trade. I really need some advice as to what I should do. I like the car we purchased, even though it is the GLS it is loaded with the sunroof, trip indicator and power seats so it seems to have everything the SE has other than the engine. What to do!!!!
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    It looks to be about a $1k difference. If you like what you have, take the money and run.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I agree with 2002slt.

And, if the car is financed, consider taking the cash refund and applying it to your car payment as a one time addition to your regular payment. You'll be surprised at how much quicker that will pay off your car loan and save you in interest costs.
  • scarman25scarman25 Member Posts: 5
    Hi. Did you ever get your answer? I've searched and can only find a class I myself. I have a 2500 lb trailer I'm looking to tow. I didn't get an official answer, but i was told the UK version may have a heavier duty suspension/springs, which would account for the added capacity.
  • yjbeachyjbeach Member Posts: 5
    Is there anyway to have the USB and Ipod aux input that is in the 2009 Sonata (arm rest) installed on my 2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited, in the same place?

Also, is there anyone that has an aftermarket headunit that has the USB port? Does your USB fall out while driving?

Thank you,
  • sonatacvsonatacv Member Posts: 2
    yes, i was told it was the way the dashboard was made. got it replaced for the second time.
  • raj19raj19 Member Posts: 2
    I have a Sonata '07 car - automatic. This has a 'weird' problem. If the car is in 'hot sun' parked for say 3 or 4 hours, the Gear Shift lever gets stuck and does not move from 'P' to say 'R' or 'D'. Even if I press the brake pedal hard, the lever refuses to move. Once I had to tow it to Suburban Dealer in Michigan and they couldn't solve this issue. The Dealer mentioned that they couldn't find what was going wrong. I cannot believe that their auto mechanics couldn't solve the issue.

Please let me know whether anyone has faced similar issue or if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
  • dussaultdussault Member Posts: 1
    was your dash covered under the manufactory's warrenty
  • raj19raj19 Member Posts: 2
    I believe so. Hyundai has one of the best Warranty program
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    The shift interlock is faulty. This item enables the car to be shifted out of park only when the brake pedal is depressed. Yeah, I know, you have stepped on the brake "hard" and it still doesn't shift out of park. This is a symptom that the interlock switch isn't working. Am I totally sure this is your problem? Nope but the symptoms of this failing are consistent with your problem.
  • jayessjayess Member Posts: 59
    Before I take my 07 GLS with 18.400 mi for a spin with a service tech who will probably just shrug...I've just recently started to hear a squeek on the right side, can't quite discern whether it's from the front or back wheels. It's intermittent when driving and it seems that I can sometimes get it started when I turn the steering wheel to the left, or maybe it's the right! I thought perhaps a caliper ?? but it seems to brake ok, and the heat from the brakes should burn up any residual water from washing the wheels, wouldn't think a bearing. And nothing seems to have come off underneath or in the wheel well. I know that it's all kinda wague but has anyone experienced this ? thanks.
  • 10point10point Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at a used GLS 2006 and I like everything about it except for the fake wood trim in the interior. Do you think it would be possible to replace this?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes. try a search on "wood dash kit Sonata 2006" in your favorite web search engine.
  • 10point10point Member Posts: 3
    I did that and all I found was kits that gave you more wood. I am interested in getting rid of the wood all together. Should I check with a dealer?
    Some models used a "carbon fiber" look in place of the fake wood. This may be more acceptable to you and as a bonus it will fit exactly in place of the wood.
    You said you didn't like the fake wood. Many of these kits are real wood. Or the carbon-fiber look as someone else mentioned. Might even be some other textures in there, I didn't look closely.

Maybe you could get a dealer to swap out the faux wood in your car for the faux carbon fiber trim or silvery plastic trim in another 2006 Sonata. Just how much that would cost and whether it's worth it to you is another matter.
  • kimweigelkimweigel Member Posts: 43
    If you actually have the car, I would love to swap you my carbon fiber for your fake wood.
  • pullchordpullchord Member Posts: 4
    Two weeks ago, I started getting "disc unreadable" on every CD I inserted in my '06 Sonata's player. A local dealer's service guy told me he'd seen alot of this, and the replacement cost is over $1000 (I'm out of warranty at 43K miles already). Big black mark for Hyundai on this one.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Why are you out of warranty? Sonata's have a 5/50 or 5/60 (don't recall which) "bumper to bumper" warranty.

And for way less than a grand you can get a very nice after-market stereo, so if you are forced to pay for it out of your own pocket, go that route instead.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    The earliest that car could have been put in service is sometime in 2005 so it would only be about 3 years into the bumper to bumper warranty and you certainly aren't over the miles. Are you sure about the warranty or is there something else to add to this story?

I just read a review on CNET.com about a Sony aftermarket radio with integrated bluetooth for a cell phone that got excellent reviews and it was about $300 I think. Intallation may run a couple of hundred but it would still be half the price you're being quoted.
    Something to try, if you haven't already: there are CD/DVD cleaning disks available at most electronics stores. They are pretty inexpensive. You pop them into the CD player and play them for 30 seconds or so. There's a little cleaning brush in them. I use this mainly on a DVD player at home that gets heavy use. When it starts having trouble reading DVDs, I use the cleaner and it takes care of the problem. If you have never cleaned the CD player, this might help.
  • duke16duke16 Member Posts: 36
    Warrantee on CD players & radios is a flat 36 months,with no mile limitation.
  • hollierhollier Member Posts: 1
    my nephew has a 2008 hyundai sonata that this has happened to. This last time he almost ran over a child in a crosswalk. It has happened three times, twice on him and once on his girlfriend. All three times our hyundai dealer in Grande Prairie Alberta say its in his head or there is nothing wrong. Today we gave him a letter to have hyundai dealer, the mechanics that worked on it, and him to sign freeing him from any legal action on his part if an accident should happen. He can't/won"t drive it with any trust.
    hope this helps
    Today we gave him a letter to have hyundai dealer, the mechanics that worked on it, and him to sign freeing him from any legal action on his part if an accident should happen

Let us know if any of those people signed the letter. They think he is at fault...why would they sign it? He needs to keep the service document that states they checked it and found nothing wrong.
  • jal012773jal012773 Member Posts: 63
    Lately I've been hearing a gushing water sound behind the dash when accelerating. I only hear it for a few seconds when accelerating from a stop, and usually only the first acceleration of the trip. I've been using the AC on max during our 95 degree heat. I may be wrong, but I think I had this issue with my '01 Chevy Blazer and found out the heater core needed to flushed. Could that be the issue now? Seems too soon to need that kind of service done (only 26,000 miles on '06 V6).
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    No not the heater core. Sounds like your condensate pan is clogged. Take it to the dealer and have them look at it. If you are handy look under the car for the AC drain line and see if you can pull it off to unclog it. I'm not sure where it is but that may be the problem.
  • bonreabonrea Member Posts: 48
    This type of problem was reported to exist back in the 1980's with Audi's.

Go to Google and search for "sudden acceleration problem (Audi)".
    CBS's 60 minutes did a story on the Audi's leading to a decade long slump of Audi sales in the US.
    I have a 2007 Sonata SE and had the dealer set/turn on the auto door lock feature. It works great; it locks the doors at about 12 miles per hour. However the dealer mechanic said that there isn't (or he couldn't find a setting on the computer) a feature, that when you put it in park, to auto unlock the doors.

Anyone else have this feature turned on? If so does it unlock when you put the car in park? ;)
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Sigh, I wish there was! I don't know for sure but I don't think it is possible. I feel the same way, I like the auto-lock part but wish it could auto-unlock. It gets a little irritating because you forget to unlock them manually before you get out and walk around to get something through one of the other doors. It really is one of the very few things I don't like about my Sonata. Dang!
  • kb2755kb2755 Member Posts: 1
    While getting ready to pack my 2006 Sonata V6 to bring my son back to college he noticed that the center and rear brake lights were not working when the breaks were applied. Not wanting to to a chance with a 700 mile round trip to school we decided to take the 2001 Yukon despite the price of gas. While driving back yesterday I noticed a Sonata in front of me that had the same lights out when he was braking. Coincidence or is this a problem that other have experienced? I would think both lights going out at the same time would be highly unlikely.
    So here is a twist. Apparently the doors on the 2009 Sonata automatically unlock when the car is put into Park. And a complaint has been filed against Hyundai by someone who thinks that is a safety issue:

http://www.aboutautomobile.com/complaint/2009/HYUNDAI/SONATA

Actually it appears the same person posted the same complaint twice, using slightly different wording each time. :surprise:
    I conceder this as an ignorant complaint; every auto I have ever owned/driven that had the auto lock/unlock feature, unlocked the doors when the driver either put the car in park or turned off the ignition. GMs, Fords, BMWs, etc…

And to log a complaint under assumed names? Come on...
    Yeah, I think it shows there's at least one person who will take any possible position on any subject. You should see some of the other "complaints" on that web site, for other cars... they are doozies.
  • yokeyyokey Member Posts: 4
    The right sun visor on my '06 went limp the other day. Wouldn't you know it, the car went out of warranty last month (I drive a lot). Called a dealer, got a quote of nearly $150 TO REPLACE A DADGUM VISOR? Didn't bite. Anyone have any tips on a more reasonably priced source for a replacement visor?

Thanks!
    Check your area for a local junk yard that may have one in a wrecked car. They may have one with the same interior color. If you are handy with a screwdriver you can replace it yourself and save the money.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Something similar happened on my wife's Elantra. The plastic pins that held the mirror in the passenger side visor broke & the mirror fell out. I think it was $110 for the part as it was the entire visor that would need replacing. Some Gorilla Glue later, that mirror ain't never comin' off. :)
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    Well my Sonata (2006 GLS V6) is now 2 years old and I now have a problem that has put it in the shop for 3 days. Anyone else experienced this? Defective throttle body. Car started normally, pulled out of the driveway, put it in drive and the transmission engaged but the car would not go more than 3 mph. The engine was running but all the dash lights were on including ESC, and check engine icon. Tach showed 1000 rpms but would not increase. Stopped turned the car off and waited a few seconds and she started up and everything returned to normal except the check engine icon was still on. I took it straight to the dealership. It is still in warranty and they will replace the throttle body but don't have it in stock. Glad this didn't happen in the middle of nowhere. One other issue, have any of you had the black paint begun peeling off the black area around the windows? Mine is starting to and I pointed that out to the dealer as well. Other than this the car has been a flawless performer for the last 19,000 miles. I will check in from time to time to let you know of any changes...
  • mike2741mike2741 Member Posts: 21
    Has anyone experienced a sort of skipping feeling when on the highway, not all the time but once in awhile.
    Not since 1969 on my way home from a concert. :D
  • cajuncyclercajuncycler Member Posts: 172
    Define skipping. If you mean does the transmission seem to disengage, yours could be the same issue as mine, defective throttle body. This is now a module that electronically engages the accelerator pedal with the engine. If the sensors are not picking up the signal or doing so intermittantly then the transmission could disengage. Have your dealer check it out.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Are you talking about driving on the highway and using the cruise control? If so, do you mean the feel of the car holding back when going down hill?
    at highway speeds, sometimes using the cruise control, it just feels like it's missing. It won't do it everytime.
    also, if i connect my Scangauge, won't that throw a code up ?
    I don't think connecting a Scan Gage would introduce any codes, no more so than the service tech. hooking up the hand held code reader. I believe it to be a passive device that uses the OBDII outputs to produce the readouts you see on the monitor head. There doesn't appear to be any feed-back generated by the Scan Gage, by that I mean it produces no information on its own but only displays existing information.