Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I am not a fan of the aloe green as it looked under awful lighting at Andrew Toyota in Milwaukee. However, I'm not a fan of greens in general, so take that with a grain of salt.

FWIW, that car was an LE that was like $24,200- it had most of the options one can get on an LE, such as 16 inch alloys, VSC, 440 watt JBL 6 Disc+ Bluetooth, Power Moonroof and rear reading lights, floormats. It was a 4T1 car (USA made), and everything appeared flawless. STILL LOVE the bluish interior lighting for the HVAC.

~alpha
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    We have both: JT-VIN's and 4T-VIN's on our lot.
  • Options
    shellrehmshellrehm Member Posts: 15
    Just purchased mine yesterday and I love the color. Everyone that saw it last night commented on how much they liked the color.
  • Options
    tidewatertidewater Member Posts: 69
    "XLE 4SP" - Yeah - I got that from the Fitzmall site. (I'm looking for a way to say XLE 4 cylinder) - like the excerpt below. Maybe I should say "I4".

Body: 4DR XLE 4SP Auto Color: Blue Ribbon Interior: Bisque Leather
  • Options
    Fitzmall should stop using that strange designation- like you said, XLE I4 is much less confusing. Over the years, I've kind of taken to identifying vehicles by trim and engine/transmission combination:

Camry XLE 4/5A
    Accord EX-L 4/5M
    Fusion SEL V6/6A

Just a thought, and it seems to be an easy convention...

~alpha
  • Options
    Mary,

Its seems like you may have seen a somewhat different interior with the XLE Bisque color that njerald indicates.

Did you recall the color of the center plastic console, the carpets, and interior door trim?

How attractive did you think the Bisque interior was?

I've been driving Toyota's and Honda's since 1995 all with the grey interior, and I'd be ready for a change. :)
  • Options
    doosaiwolfdoosaiwolf Member Posts: 7
    Yesterday I test drove the new 2007 Camry in V6 with Navigation and too my surprise I am greatly disappointed. The lot had 12 new Camrys in stock and one of them was Kentucky built while the rest are Japanese built. The Japanese build quality is still in my opinion much greater than the Kentucky build quality which still had crooked doors and uneven gaps in the body lines.

I am amazed there materials going into the new Camry seem so much more plastic-like than the 2002-2006 series models. The interior seats were very firm and not comfortable at all.

I don't even know what is wrong with the headliner, it looks like the kind of thing you would see in a used car where the headliner was washed. Definately not high quality in my opinion.

The navigation system isn't all it is cracked up to be. There is a nicer screen on the system, but with the higher resolution appearance they have chose to antialias the graphical interface. This makes the image look smooth, but in my opinion not sharp, and in some cases hard to read. The interface is no different from upgraded Eclipse navigation units from Toyota's own Fujitsu-Ten name. Other than changing the look of the graphics very little has been upgraded in terms of functionality. The map is still stuttery with it rotates if it isn't set in North Up mode like prior models. I honestly thing I prefer the older screen without the smoothed out graphics as their was more contrast between the map and street names, I find it easy to read black pixelated names. There are small screen animations that slide away when buttons are pressed for the radio, but these are not found anywhere else in the interface. As for the voice functionality. I don't care for it much, it seems like it isn't quite ready for the market and needs further refinement. (I didn't not have an opportunity to test bluetooth capabilities).

Driving performace is awful. When starting the V6 Engine it has an awful whining noise that is distinguishable in the interior of the car. I can honestly say that when comparing the sound of the older 3MZ-FE 3.3L Engine to the new 2GR-FE 3.5L Engine, the newer 3.5L engine seems much less refined. Coupled with the new 6 speed automatic transmission it is just terrible. When putting the car in Drive from a park position the entire car shakes with 3 passengers and awful loud noises are heard from the transmission gears. Once moving the 3.5L has very little power for its hype. Shifting perfomance is poor when moving the one gear to the next and even more quirky when shifted through the semi-manual shift gate. (This is a downfall considering the predecessor was merely a 3.3L engine and was capable of 0 to 60 in only 7 seconds while the new 3.5L engine is only capable of the same, I have read through technical information directly from Toyota and they are quoting 7.0 seconds 0 to 60. I would think this new engine should be pushing just a little more for a shade under 7.0 seconds when everyone is saying how much better it is when comparing it to its predecessor especially considering it has a 6 speed versus a 5 speed.) I think 3MZ-FE with auto 5 Speed transmission has a much more sporty and smoother feel when driving and shifting, no loud noises, no jolting when putting it into gear from park. Even acceleration is quietier but feels more quick.

I will say that for those who are only familiar with driving the 1MZ-FE 3.0L Engine Camry this will be a performance improvement but will still have a sluggish feel if you have driven a competing Nissan V6. However, with this new Engine being much louder it in my opinion I am not sure the average consumer is going to like sacrificing their interior cabin comfort. Maybe for most who have no features on an older Camry some new features will be enough to keep them happy. But again the prior 5 speed autos were much more refined.

The front windsheild is more sloped than its predecessor. This is nice, but what is not nice about it is having to tilt the seat so far back to enjoy the same headroom as found in prior models.

Instrument positioning isn't much better. The radio and/or nav depending on what model you look at are in a much lower position, making you take your focus off of the road completely even to glance at it for a moment. This isn't too good when considering a driver will occasionally look at navigation or radio when driving. Why is Toyota taking the step backwards? I think they should have moved the vents lower and pushed the radio/nav area more up.

The interior has a deceptively room appearance. By offering a slighty wider center console, larger guages, and repositioning center dash vents above the radio rather than on the side you start to present more space. This continues though with the center clock far back on the dash and its very wide narrow opening, again nice touch but all of these shapes only suggest a larger cabin. Finally the side dash vent on the driver's side next to the door appears almost tucked under the guage/cluster area allowing the gauges to appear larger and more to the left of the car while allowing for depth of the vent behind. The door panels have a convex attribute to them (convex in this situation bulging toward the outside of the car) so it is almost as if they are making the door feel less thick and sturdy allowing for slightly more space. Oh, and honestly, if you are going to put sprt handles on the doors make them feel good when you grab them, these feel cheap. Reference the quality of Lexus door panels to see what I mean.

Another quirky tidbit, there is no center dome light with the sunroof (I didn't check non sunroof models), instead it has been moved to wear the front map lights are located and is rather small. I don't know about you, but if I am going to spend that kind of money on a car the interior lighting should be a bit nicer than that of a Corolla sedan.

Where did the fullsize replacement spare go? They only offer a temporary. On my 05 Camry I have an entire other wheel with a full 17inch matching rim and tire, so if I get a flat I can still be on the go.

The car cost more than it's predecessor and offers more standard features in lower grade models, but in a higher grade se or xle they could at least provide a full 5th matching rim and tire as your spare.

I hope that as time goes by when this car nears the opportunity for some sort of face lift or head lamp/tail lamp change that it will make the car a little nicer, and by that time hopefully they have further refined the engine. And maybe, just make give you a full spare instead of a temporary that actually matches if you are going to shell out the cash for the higher grade model.

Don't misinterpret what I am saying here though, as it is not my intention to boycott Toyota. I simply want to offer my opinion as a happy Toyota owner that I find all the hype over the new Camry just senseless. I would have to say I feel the 2.4L
  • Options
    ix1is1ix1is1 Member Posts: 55
    Just purchased mine yesterday and I love the color. Everyone that saw it last night commented on how much they liked the color.

What area are you in? Send an aloe green down to So Cal. Does the wood trim work with the bisque interior? Did you get to choose a darker wood trim or aluminum trim?
  • Options
    Actually I purchased the LE with all the upgrades. I don't like the wood trim at all and the LE has a better ride then the SE (sports edition). I had the leather seats upgraded and the conv. pkg "D" with the double headrest entertainment system installed the only thing I don't have that would make a big diff. is the nav system and I don't really need that. It has the Bisque interior and I love it.

The one thing that I noticed between the LE and the XLE is the doors are not all leather in the LE like the are in the XLE. I think they are not going to be as easy to keep clean but we will see.
  • Options
    babyrocketbabyrocket Member Posts: 54
    Sounds like a great car. How much was the headrest entertainment system if you don't mind my asking?
  • Options
    1995.00 dvd entertainment sys., the organizer in the trunk is neat and the cargo net. Also the tires come with road haz they were upgraded also. I normally go to Discount tire Co and buy the road haz on my new cars so that if anything happens the tires are replaced but this came with that already.
  • Options
    gtoskylinegtoskyline Member Posts: 68
    hehe, seems your negative on the new Camry is too much a little bit.

Although I didn't have chance to drive one yet, the one (LE) I sit in felt more solid built compared to the last gen. The cloth seats are very comfortable to me. Almost everything is laid out logically and clearly.
  • Options
    Interesting commentary. You do seem to know your engines well but your negative appreciation seems to fly in the face of my own test and several others here as well. But with your comments I am going to take another detailed look.

Headroom / windshield slope? Not serious right? The Gen5's had way too much headroom for the normal driver. The Gen4's and earlier had NO headroom for many men. Unless you're 6'7" plus I don't see this comment being accurate on this Gen.

Full spare vs temp: well known 'decontent' that has always been a part of the Accord line. This seems to me like a minor acknowlegement to competitive pressure. Has anyone ever bought a Camry specifically because of the full sized spare. At ~400K units Honda does well with the Accord.

Styling: Always subjective but to me it's the best version ever, and I've owned them all since 1989.

Pricing: The MSRP on the CE and LE is lower than the '06's with similar equipment; ditto V6 XLE's with similar equipment.
  • Options
    pickles077pickles077 Member Posts: 30
    I am not Mary but I can tell you about the Toyota Camry
    2007 interior color. The dash is a dark brownish gray.
    The seats are a light tan. The carpet is a darker tan,
    but still much lighter than the dash.
  • Options
    carrelman2carrelman2 Member Posts: 80
    My wife has been driving a camry since 1988 at which time the LE was top of the line and came with a factory alarm. After came a 1992 xle also with a factory alarm next a 1997 also a factory alarm next a 2003 with a factory alarm. I went to see the 2007 xle v6 but lo and behold the factory alarm is no longer standard on the xle v6. The car i saw had an alarm put in at a charge of $600. Boy what a rip off.
  • Options
    I too have noticed this on all Toyotas. It has to do with the engine immobilzer feature now on nearly all vehicles which is much better than an alarm in most cases.

From experience many people decline alarms or ask to have them disabled due to the old problem of having them go off in front of your house/office.

Is there a specific reason that you want an alarm on your new Camry? It is just an alert nothing more.
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    The engine immobilizer has an alarm on the XLE models!

Doesn't anybody bother to read anymore????

There is also a Security System/upgrade (V5 or QS9) that can be added by the port, the dealer or yourself along with a glass breakage sensor (V2). They have a MSRP together of $500-550.

It is the same system Toyota has offered as an accessory for years.

Don't buy that car unless you want to pay for those options!!!
  • Options
    You know you are not a pleasure to interact with. You might tone it down some. I was talking about Toyota's in general. Corolla's and others have the engine immobilizer but no alarms.

I understand that the OP was asking about an XLE specifically but I responded more generally. He obviously was asking about the upgrade which his local dealer was doing as a PIO or DIO.
  • Options
    njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Poor baby.

This is a Camry forum.
  • Options
    So I take it that being pleasant is not part of participating on a Camry forum? Your logic escapes me.

What if the OP didnt know where to look for the data and was searching for anwswers? As you should know there are no brochures in stores yet. How would he know about the XLE specs? Being mean-spirited is it's own punishment.

With that you are henceforth ignored.
  • Options
    mary99mary99 Member Posts: 65
    Tidewater- These guys are probably right. I didn't notice the contrast, however, nor did my husband, so it wouldn't bother us. We didn't really pick the car apart, though, just did a quick (10 min or so) look-see and then 10 min or so test drive. I did think the bisque fabric seats were pretty. My 97 Civic has a dinge-y tan, though.

I though the seats were comfy, too. The 06 hit me in mid-thigh and this one didn't.

I agree that njerald's posting style is troublesome. It'd lend his opinions more credence if he didn't come across as having anger management issues.
  • Options
    lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Edmond's finally has a consumer review and rating of the new Camry.

"Wish I had my 1992 LE V6 by JakeMcNew"
    "Style: XLE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5A) Rating 7.6"

"Review: I hate to buy a new car and plastic parts begin to fall off or come loose. Shoddy workmanship? The car is still brand new and ride quality decreased quickly. Happy with gas mileage but unhappy with quality. I guess thats what happens when fine Japanese cars are built in the USA."

I guess the moral is, early buyers beware.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Bob, have you noticed something? I'm beginning to see a trend on this thread that I saw on the Avalon 2005 thread. Before the cars arrive there's a buzz that's catchy, everyone is anxiously anticipating the arrival of the new car, everyone is civil and discussions are informative and entertaining. Then when the cars come out an influx of "trolls" arrive and tend to ruin the discussion(s) for everyone. I was enjoying this thread and had more input from my perspective but I'll guess I'll come back when things settle down again. I'm off to the FJ cruiser and Yaris forums to see what's cooking over there. Happy selling!
    :shades:
    Mackabee
  • Options
    I read your post, and would like to offer an alternative opinion. You’ve done an excellent job of pointing out some highly detailed short-comings with the Camry, issues that probably benefit the folks thinking about buying the car.

I have different opinions on most of your issues with the 2007 Camry. I find the 2007 Camry to be among the highest quality Camry every produced. (I’m driving a 2000 Camry now plus a 2003 Highlander).

On the NAV system, you have to be thankful Toyota can make available this voice activated system in such a low price point for this car. From what I have seen of the Nav system, I would characterize it as excellent versus its pricing and the alternatives out there. (I am using my current NAV system every other day).

Regarding your comments on the engine, it is my opinion that most Camry buyers are not that concerned about the engine’s performance. Toyota owners just appreciate that they won’t ever have to worry about an engine issue as Camry is among the most reliable cars on the planet.

I disagree on your issues with windshield and interior/instrument layout as well. Given the size of the Camry, changing the appearance of the layout is the only way possible to give a larger feel to the car. Hence, I think Toyota does the right thing when they give the car a larger interior feel. BTW, it would have been impossible to raise the radio/NAV more than a few inches on the dash; the current placement is good.

Its been 1995 since I had to change a tire, and I don’t think its that unreasonable to save the money on a full sized tire/rim versus a temporary.

Sorry to go off topic here, but to give this issue just a bit of perspective, I used to drive a 65 Mustang Convertible when it was a classic. When it rained, it leaked directly on you. My car didn’t have seatbelts (long story) or good working brakes part of the time. But it was a beautiful dark blue with white convertible top. It was probably the best car I’ve ever owned. Moral? Your own attitude about a car has an impact on its value to you.
  • Options
    Thanks both Pickles & Mary.

I think these style and color issues are really in the eye of the beholder. Maybe it also has to do with just a change from your current car. I think most would agree the 2007 Camry interior is a significant improvement over the previous Camry versions.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    On the NAV system, you have to be thankful Toyota can make available this voice activated system in such a low price point for this car. From what I have seen of the Nav system, I would characterize it as excellent versus its pricing and the alternatives out there. (I am using my current NAV system every other day).

It is a $2200 system. It requires\incorporates the 440 watt Bluetooth stereo system. Since the XLE already includes the otherwise optional upgraded stereo rolled into the hefty MSRP, it is "only" $1200 additional for the nav for XLE models only.
    If you are an SE buyer and only wanted nav and didn't care about or want Bluetooth and extra watts, then it costs $2200 to you.
  • Options
    I guess now that everyone will have to choose on their own now that both sides have spoken up.

I guess it was unrealistic to think the entire population of drivers was going to line up to buy these things. ;)
  • Options
    fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    May I ask what you are using as a baseline for comparison? What is the handling poor in relation to? Which trim and engine did you drive?
  • Options
    trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    they are comparing them because the price of a fully loaded Camry and a TL are very close....if your going to pay 30K why not pay 2 or 3 more and get the TL....which is very doable where I live.

and speaking of Hyundai have you checked out the Azera....its very nice for 27 or 28K :)
  • Options
    The Azera looks like the car bargain of all times. But it does have a few shortcomings. It did not do well in recent NHTSA crash tests. Since Hyundai has been pushing the Azera's safety features and design to be "5-Star" rated, this has to be a disappointment.

Also, while people often complain of not being able to hit EPA mileage numbers, the Azera and other Hyundais seem to fall even farther short than normal. Disappointment with gas mileage is a common complaint of new owners and car reviewers.

I was attracted but am now back to looking at the new Camry.
  • Options
    I remember years ago I didn't care much for leather and thought who needs heated seats, but after having a car with them wouldn't consider another car with out 'em....course I'm old and achy LOL.
    I feel the same now about NAV, never had it, don't feel I need it (I travel around the country and rarely use a map) but wonder if I got it would shortly not want to be without it. Its getting very reasonable in price, I think the Mazda 5 fully loaded with NAV is in the very low 20's.
    How much does it add to the price of a Camry anyone know???? Is it part of a package? It's a $15 hundred dollar option on a Harley. :D
  • Options
    I'm with you, very disappointed in the mileage numbers on a brand new car in these times with gas prices going out of site. Is Hyundai not paying attenion? I have a 6 yr. old v-6 Impala that has plenty of power and does very well on gas mileage. I get 30+ on the hwy, REGULAR gas.
  • Options
    Since leather gets extremely uncomfortable on cold days, heated seats are an important addition with leather. However, if you skip leather, you don't need heated seats either. Unfortunately, even with heated leather, you still have to sit on the ice cold leather initially and wait for the seat heaters to warm up.

Getting the nav system requires having the 440 watt stereo system.
    On the SE, nav is a $2200 option. On the XLE, the 440 watt stereo is standard and already incorporated into the MSRP, so the nav adds an additional $1200 to the price of Camry XLEs.
  • Options
    You are so right. And, it can be very frustrating. I don't even want the leather seats - but I need them and the heaters to get NAV!
  • Options
    Tidewater- Why do you need leather to get nav?

I too want nav and no leather. My choices are the 4cyl XLE or the SE, I believe. I want the 6cyl XLE with cloth. They tell me no can do.
  • Options
    earlwvearlwv Member Posts: 1
    I owned a 2002 Toyota Solara Convertible, The interior trim had a very poor fit, in places like the phoney wood trim on the dash and left front door was off as much as an inch. The paint had serious chipping (16,00 miles)on the hood and Toyota refused to repaint it (my 2000 Pontiac GM with no such chipping at over 20,000 miles). I now own a 2004 Pontiac Gran Prix GTP, only one small problem and the dealer took care of it right a way. Had I kept the Toyota Solara I would have beening looking at a $3,500 paint job. I've noticed the same problem on several Toyota products and their dealers refuse to repair them, HOW CAN YOU RATE THIS CAR SO HIGH?
  • Options
    Wake up! "HOW CAN YOU RATE THIS CAR SO HIGH?" Hmmn. maybe because this forum is for the 2007 Camry, not the 2002 Solara convertible. Find the appropriate board, please.

~alpha
  • Options
    Actually, that is just my assumption that you must have leather seats to get NAV. (Leather/heated,NAV) is included as Camry XLE I4 option combination C (Seattle region) which is what I'm basing that assumption on. Please tell me I'm wrong on that -- but on the moment, that is my opinion. I guess a dealer could answer that question quickly enough.

Regarding bisque interior issue -- I see that Camry Hybrid appears to have a bisque interior (or something very close to it) http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/5273/cat/771

Does this picture look like the XLE you drove? It doesn't look bad to me.
  • Options
    HOW CAN YOU RATE THIS CAR SO HIGH?....

....because any driver can expect to get 250,000 miles out of any Camry - as opposed to most GM auto's where the expectation is that after the fleet period is over it will be a used auto in 8-12 mo's.

BTW, paint 'chipping' is always a 'wear item'. The solution is, dont follow behind trucks so closely.

Your comments will be given the proper consideration. Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    >>BTW, paint 'chipping' is always a 'wear item'. The solution is, dont follow behind trucks so closely.

"Always"? A few past Toyotas have been known to have problems with paint chipping, including my early-build '92 Camry. And it wasn't from following anyone too close.

I ended up paying for a partial repaint of the car, and considered it a minor flaw in an otherwise nearly flawless car.

Toyotas are good, not perfect.
  • Options
    samchinchsamchinch Member Posts: 47
    You can get an I4 Camry XLE with cloth seats and Nav if that is what you are looking for. Leather Seats and Heat are options.
  • Options
    I guess it's a question of the origin of the 'chipping'. Chipping now is a wear item. 'Orange peeling' or defects in the paint/surface that cause the paint to peel off is a warranty question. I guess it depends which is at fault.
  • Options
    That's what the options list says, but they may not actually produce any cars with that combination of options.
    If you want nav, you are then forced to buy the leather package if the factory always fully-loads nav equipped cars with all other options..
  • Options
    Bisque is a tan-like color. That photo is Ash, which is gray.
    No photos are posted online anywhere of a Bisque 2007 XLE or any other 2007 Camry interior in Bisque.
  • Options
    I was assuming the vehicle config. options on the pricing estimator on edmunds.com reflected real options combinations. I see on toyota.com that I too would need a V6 XLE with every option under the sun to get nav.

Well, as long as I need leather to get nav, I think I'll include used Lexus and new TSX as candidates.

Or will consider after-market (portable) nav. Bleck.
  • Options
    You could wait 6 months and they might start offering the listed nav system on more models (like 4 cylinder XLEs etc.).
    If you think you would like to use a nav system in more than one car, then portable would be the way to go. Get a Garmin Nuvi and you can pop it in your shirt pocket and use it in any car you drive.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Looks very nice. Even the light wood doesn't look bad in these shots.
  • Options
    Thanks for the photos jaxs1 & the clarification. I guess my earlier comment on the hybrid int color was off. I find pics of these colors can look a little deceptive.

You know the XLE in grey does not look so bad. I like that Blue exterior as well.
  • Options
    I had a portable nav for a short time and it was a pain. I had to have the stereo off to hear the voice prompts was the deal killer. Do they make ones that will mute your stereo to give a voice prompt?