Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic Sedan 2006

Comments

• Options
    corey415corey415 Member Posts: 49
    The Civic Si will get automatic climate control. If the Si were to get navi, I would think Honda would use the current navigation system platform used in all other hondas/acuras. I dont think it would make sense to use the prior gen navi that doesnt have voice control.
  • Options
    callmedrfillcallmedrfill Member Posts: 729
    To offer a dumbed-down version of the same engine, that would at launch be 2 model years past, would be a crime.

I have a Civic as a beater, and my head says get a new Civic, but everybody has one, and I miss the seats of the 92-95 model, and now power is down compared to the comp.

If the Si gets 210HP, a 6-speed, Auto climate and available NAV, I might have to pull the trigger!

DrFill
  • Options
    sik99sik99 Member Posts: 23
    Fill...how come i see you on tons of these forums saying you are gonna buy this, and buy that. Are you all talk or are you actually gonna buy something when they come out?
  • Options
    I get confused easily! Closing on a new house, so I have to wait a bit anyway.

DrFill
  • Options
    zupzup Member Posts: 15
    2006 Civic Ad

And oh yeah, apparently the 1.3L hybrid version is capable of getting 30 km/L which translates to about 70 mpg. They have got to be kidding me!?
  • Options
    claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    That 30 km/L is for the Japan 10/15 cycle. It is different than the way that the US EPA does its testing. The current Civic hybrid is rated 48/47 US EPA, but 29.5 km/L on the Japanese 10/15 cycle which equates to about 69 mpg. I would guess that the 30 km/L would yeild about 50/49mpg by US EPA testing procedures.

2005 Civic Hybrid - 29.5 km/l (~69 mpg) Japan 10/15 = 48/47 mpg US EPA
    2006 Civic Hybrid - 30 km/l (~70 mpg) Japan 10/15 = ??/?? mpg US EPA
  • Options
    sik99sik99 Member Posts: 23
    My g/f and I are looking for a house as we speak. All the money is going straight to the bank. I currently have a '98 4-Runner but owned a '99 Civic Si just before that. My ONLY complaint with that car was driving it in the winter(which is why I traded it for a 4'Runner). I shoulda put snow tires on it but money was tight at the time.
    I have no reason to doubt that this new Si won't be even better than its '99-00 version. Seeing as how we seem to have some of the same tastes(4 runner, civic si, supra, yota FJ, ect) I think you should take a serious look at this new Civic when it comes out. For the price, reliability, HP upgrade, and build quality it should be hard to beat.

-SiK99
  • Options
    So I know the virtues of Honda ownership firsthand!

Not gettin' sumpin' until the End od the Year Clearance sales in Sept./Oct.

Considering anything that is cool, and around $20k, including '05 Scion tC, Corolla XRS, 05 Civic Ex, 06 Civic Si (January? Too long), Tacoma V6 6-speed, Mini Cooper S, Mazda3 s lease ($188 a month ;) ?).....

I think the Si will be KILLER, but the chances of me lasting until next year are to slim to acknowledge. I'm also think the Saturn Sky will be a true legend :shades: (GM? Noooooooo!!!)!

DrFill
  • Options
    nick0924nick0924 Member Posts: 13
    Would someone post the expected gas mileage for the new 2006
    Honda Civic, automatic, 4-door sedan, non-hybred, LX and EX models.

I had read last winter that a Honda executive stated it would be significantly improved over 2005 models.

Thanks for responses.
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Nobody is going to post that info since it is not available yet. Honda does not disclose specifics so far in advance. Maybe the EPA hasn't even tested it yet.
    You have to use your imagination as to what significant means.
  • Options
    deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi Neomugen:
    Thanks for the reply. My #1 criteria for getting the Avalon was a kick-a** [non-permissible content removed] engine and genuine seating for three in the back seat. The TL and Accord only seat two in the back seat as do all other Japanese six-cylinder midsize sedans. I refuse to buy American or European cars for reliabilty/quality concerns, and Minivans and SUV's were out of the question for handling/economy/safety reasons, so the 05 Avalon was the ONLY choice.

By the way, all Avalons are automatics, so when you speak of TL's killing the Avalon in acceleration, I assume you mean auto-equipped TL's, in which case you must define "kill" as two or three tenths of a second to sixty because Avalons are 6.4-6.6 depending upon who you read, and TL's are in the low sixes depending upon which mags you read. Comparing an Auto tranny car to a manual is irrational.

You did not mention that the brakes on the TL are relative CRAP with a capital "C"! Avalon handily outbrakes the TL, and Accord as do most or all of the above mentioned cars. You have to spend an extra $5,000 on an A-Spec to get the Brembo brakes and itinerant braking distances befitting that TL's $36,000 pricetag. C'mon Honda! Where's the brakes!!??! For that money (if I didn't need seating for three), I'd go with a BMW three-series or an Infinity G35.

You also forgot to mention that the Avalon's MPG is 22 city/31 hwy - isn't the TL's less? I can attest to 33.5 mpg at a constant 80-85 MPH on a 120 mile stretch of I95 in Virginia, and am averaging 23mpg overall in 80% city driving/20% hwy. Avalon's greater horsepower and torque outdo the TL, and it's only because the TL is geared more for acceleration than economy that the TL is marginally quicker in acceleration. Toyota could have done the same, but would have lost its phenomenal fuel economy. I wonder if the upcoming Civic SI will have fuel economy as good.

Getting to my Maxima, its nearly a 10 year-old model, and comparing its handling to that of modern Accords is silly - it an apples-to-oranges comparison. Compare my old max's handling to mid-90's accords and you'll find it's as good or better (at least on the skidpad) and definitely outbrakes those Accords, and had 30 extra HP and better fuel economy to boot.

Today's Accord EX gets out-handled by an 04 Maxima SE, possibly by a Legacy GT, probably by an Altima SE, and certainly by an Altima SE-R or Mazda6. Even Totyota offers a Camry-SE/Solara-SE. C'mon Honda! What gives??!!? Where's the Accord Sport???!!??

Clearly Honda's decided that they'd rather let all those other automakers and aftermarket companies earn our money. The Accord does many things well, but ultimately gets "beaten up" by Subarus, Mazdas and Nissans. Yes, I know the quality/feel of the current Accord's handling is more sophisticated than some of the above because of the double wishbones, but the overly-conservate decision-makers at Honda refuse to sell us cars equipped with factory performance suspensions - it's sad. I don't want to HAVE to go to the aftermarket for suspension performance, but will do so to optimize my Avalon's otherwise decent handling because there's no other option for my needs - even an 05 maxima was too narrow in the rear seat for three.

As to the Tranny problem in 04 and earlier models, thanks for the info - I didn't know. Regarding the next Civic SI (the whole point of this forum), I sincerely hope the dunderheads at Honda let the designers have their way and build the car we want, and deserve, and not the pretender (but still a decent car) that is the current SI.

I understand the next SI will have every reasonable modern safety feature (short of all-wheel drive), but I am concerned it'll fold up like a tin can as did most other samll cars in side-impact tests as reported by Consumer Reports. I'm a family man now (two kids) and safety is first. If the SI doesn't bode well in crash tests, I may consider spending $5K to $9K more to move up to a Mazdaspeed6 or Legacy GT as the car to replace my aging Max. The Mazdaspeed6 is a car Honda shoulda built years ago (no, let's let Mazda, Subaru and Nissan secure that market says Honda).

One final thought about Honda handling: Brakes ultimately are slightly more important than the suspension when it comes to stopping a car and/or avoiding most common accidents, and while Hondas have sophisticated suspensions, their brakes seem underspec'd, almost as if Civic brakes are on Accords, and Accord brakes are on TL's.

Welcoming all responses,
    Deanie
  • Options
    You are obviously a very educated consumer. :)

You know the last Accord I liked was the Ex 4-cylinder from the last generation.

Or the 1991 Accord SE Coupe, with moonroof and dual exhaust.

Most of those small cars rate pretty good on crash test, when outfitted with side curtain airbags. I didn't see them as necessary (as an unencumbered man who likes small, agile, fun-to-drive cars), but these recent tests show that samll cars MUST have them if the BECOMING inevitable happens, a SUV or P/U decides to run a red light and T-Bone you!

'Yota's have great brakes, Hon-duhs have better personalities, but not as refined.

The SI will rock, but I'm not waiting 'til January! The Mazda3 and tC are fighting for my wallet right now. Maybe a 160HP Civic EX in Oct. can be the dark horse :confuse: ?

DrFill
  • Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    It is a very well written opinion, but I beg to differ. I would not call Avalon's handling sporty. Avalon may have the acceleration numbers, but acceleration alone makes sports car not. The old Chevy Impala accelerates, but I would hardly call it sporty. TL on the other hand is sporty. Just the fact that it is available with a manual tranny earns my respect. Out of all the cars you mentioned, Avalon is the only one NOT available with manual. I think it is telling you something. Avalon is not for the mid 20's - mid 30's crowd, it is more of the "early bird dinner special in Florida" kind of gal.

I will admit that Honda does lack in braking department. The first upgrade on the Si was the Brembo rotors and EBC Green stuff pads. For under $120 it is hardly breaking the bank. To make the Avalon handle like TL will definatley take more than $120 in suspension parts, and still no manual. But you can get the TL to brake like the Avalon for under $150.
    Honda does have something in braking department that others don't: No fade braking. Your first brake application is equal to your 20th brake application, however bad it was.

My personal favorite from Honda is the TSX. But that is another forum.
  • Options
    Hi DrFill:
    I really thought Accord styling was going in the right direction with the last Accord, but Honda once again fumbled short of the goal line and created the kinda fugly current Accord. The last Honda I liked (and would have bough had I the money at the time) were the last CRX Si and the late 80's Preludes (great styling that was lost on later generations).

Drive the Mazda3 back to back with the other cars you're considering and you'll find it hard not to go with the 3. 2nd in my opinion is the TC with the Si a close third, but you can't go wrong with any one of these three.
    Regards,
    Deanie
  • Options
    Hi Blue:
    Thanks for your reply/comments, but I think you misread my post. My primary criteria for chosing the Avalon: great engine and genuine seating for three in the back. I neither said nor implied that the Avalon's handling was sporty - I merely said it was "decent". I know the TL slightly outhandles the 05 Avalon - from experience, as I drove them both back to back from an Acura dealer over to the Toyota dealer.

Because of my manually transmission-challenged wife, I had to buy an auto tranny. Of course the Avalon doesn't have a manual option. There's no business case for one, as the upcoming Lexus IS350 will fill that niche for only a few thousand more than the priciest 05 Avalons cost now. And when that car comes out, The TL had better be ready for an update.

Even if Acura dropped a V8 or a turbo six in the TL, it still couldn't seat three in the rear, so it wasn't an option for me. See what I mean about there being no other choice for me? I love driving a manual tranny, but can't get one till my old Maxima dies, and when it does (if it does) I hope the Civic Si will be there to exceed my expectations.

Better pads would surely help the TL's braking, but a similar swap would do the same for the Avalon as well. Regarding brake fade, I'll let the car mags do their tests to answer that question - not gonna check that out on my own car. Unless the Avalon's brakes are extremely prone to fade (unlikley), the braking advantage still goes to the Avalon.

Upgrading the Avalon suspension, including labor will probably cost $1-2K, but there's no amount of money you can spend on the TL to get it to seat three in the back. Bone stock, my Avalon XLS does .80 G's on the skidpad according to one of the car mags (forgot which), with the Touring model maybe .81 or .82 (a guess). I couldn't buy the Touring b/c it doesn't offer stability control which is the best safety feature on cars today other than the seatbelt. I don't recall the TL's skidpad numbers, but they can't be much better than .80, can they (anyone care to check on that?)?

The stereotype of the previous Avalon (2004 and earlier) as an overly soft suspended, couch-like-riding old man's car is valid, but such is not the case with the 05. Check the Forums for proof that 2005 Avalons are being bought by and is very popular with the 30-something set (I'm 36 and a dedicated car guy), and that there are many 05 owners who are in their 20's with one as young as 20. In fact, many previous generation Avalon owners (mostly 50-60+, and the very tall-over 6'5") lament the improvements in styling, power and handling made to the 05. Toyota had to up production from 85K units to 125K units to satisfy the strong demand for the car. I'll bet you haven't seen an advertisement for one have you? They don't have to - that's how well received the car is across most demographic borders.

But this is the Civic Si thread, so lets talk. I read an earlier post re: the Si getting the RSX 210 hp engine - no chance. Honda's too paranoid about protecting their own. That's why we didn't get the 200hp engine in the first place in the current Si. 200hp is the max we'll see, though I hope I'm wrong. There has to be a better reason than the Acura name, warranty and leather seats to justify the price difference between the upcoming SI and the current RSX's (and maybe some TSX's) that'll rot on their lots if the Si has more than 200hp. Why does 197hp stick in my head?
    Regards to all,
    Deanie
  • Options
    robrwa123robrwa123 Member Posts: 46
    This may be a bit of a stretch, but do you know if they'd dare go as far as offering blue-tooth technology as well? The other issue I'm considering is will it provide a bit quieter of a ride...
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Deanie,

I agree with you about honda nopt always marketing the right products in the USA at the right time. I did have a 85 CRX si and a 95 GSR that were great though!. By the way my wife likes Avalon is on her second and the new 2005 is pretty awesome; not ready to replace her current one though. Honda finally met my needs with a 6-speed 2005 Accord Coupe. I think the 2006 Civv SI is going to be a winner too!.

Good Luck,

MidCow - the manual shift man

P.S.- enjoy your Avalon
  • Options
    claudius753claudius753 Member Posts: 138
    I wonder if we could get iPod integration on the next Civic. I recently switched to Apple and Mac OS X and I would like to get an iPod, but only if I can use it in my car.

doesn't the element already offer iPod integration? iPod integration + steering wheel controls + navi display shows iPod info = very cool Civic.
  • Options
    Element does NOT offer iPod integration, just an AUX input.
    However, even that is good since 99% of cars do not offer even an AUX input jack and the AUX does not restrict you to any specific brand or model of MP3 player. You could even connect a laptop and play music off your hard drive once you have set up all your play lists.
    With some BMWs, you can get both an AUX input plus iPod integration (which has limited functionality since you have to create specially-named playlists for them to work with the car integration .)
  • Options
    You can buy an aftermarket iPOD connectivity kit that integrates it into the OEM car radio from places such as http://www.autotoys.com or http://www.crutchfield.com and now CompUSA carries iPOD integration kits as well.
  • Options
    That would be pretty pointless for an Element when there is already an AUX input and the iPod "integration" kits would add no functionality.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I remember back in 99' a Civic EX had a sticker of about $16K.

And My Civic is the VP model- Air Conditioning, CD Player, Power Locks, Remote Keyless Entry, Manual Windows, and no Cruise Control.

I like my Civic- it's basic transportation with a few frills that gets me where I need to go cheaply, reliably, and efficiently. Sure, sometimes it doesn't have enough space, but hey, it only cost me $11,000 new.
  • Options
    That would be pretty pointless for an Element when there is already an AUX input and the iPod "integration" kits would add no functionality.

The original question was about Civic. Also, Element only has AUX, iPOD integration allows you to control the iPOD from the stereo or steering wheel controls if equipped, as well as provides tag readouts on the radio screen.
  • Options
    Actually, many of the integration kits do not display tag readouts. Just "Track Number X."
    Even the BMW factory iPod integration is like that.
  • Options
    The civic will not get bluetooth. You would have to go to acura for that.
  • Options
    The new civic will be safe. Besides coming standard with 6 airbags and standard abs (as you already mentioned), it will be built with the ACE (Advance Compatability Engineering) body structure.

So the car is designed to better deal with collisions with pickup trucks and SUVs. Honda has even made the bold claim that the new civic will be the safest car in its class.

With regards to Honda and its braking, I believe that tires are playing more of a culprit than you guys may believe. It is known that Honda generally undertires their cars. Simply replacing the oem tires with a high performance 3 season tire will dramatically improve braking distance as well as vehicle handling.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    What happened to the Civic discussion? This is obviously a entry-lux conversation, judging from deanie's earlier posts!
  • Options
    we don't have any new info on the Civic, so there's nothing to discuss.
  • Options
    Hi Graduate:
    This isn't a Civic discussion, but specifically a 2006 Civic/Si discussion, and we've ran out of info. Rehashing what we already know and have already said about the 06 is beating a dead horse, so until we get more info from this month's car mags or new info from other sources, a few diversions aren't hurting anyone - in fact they're helping considering that those posts specifically addressed the upcoming 06 Si as well as Hondas in general.
    Regards,
    Deanie
  • Options
    Actually, many of the integration kits do not display tag readouts. Just "Track Number X."
    Even the BMW factory iPod integration is like that.

That sucks!
  • Options
    bigal3bigal3 Member Posts: 107
  • Options
    boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    We're placing our first order of 2006 Civic Sedans. As far as I know we are only allowed to order black, grey, silver, and blue. No word on the availability of other colours as of yet. I'll try to find out how many models are available and keep you posted.

Also keep in mind this is the Canadian west coast market. US models and colors will probably vary.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

• Options
    Do you know what trim-lines you can order, and what kind of equipment they'll have?
  • Options
    I'll try to find that out today

• Options
    They report that a 200HP Civic Si SEDAN will be coming for 2007.

It's in the article that compares the Corolla XRS and Mazda3 s.

DrFill
  • Options
    DX, DX-G, LX, and EX

Surprisingly there's an EX model available. In 2001 there were only 3 models at first the DX, DX-G, and LX.

No info yet on what features each models will have.

• Options
    poompapoompa Member Posts: 1
    what are the odds that a civic will ever go the "leather interior" route? i've currently got an '03 civic, which i love - but am looking at trading in within the next year or 2. one of the directions i was thinking of going was the acura rsx, but there's now talk of that being discontinued.

now, i do understand what a lot of people love about the civic (affordability, reliability, etc) - but would that be something they would integrate into an "EX Special Edition"? (beyond the current leather wrapped steering wheel and upgraded audio).

i love the way these little cars drive, but i'm just looking for a tiny bit more luxury - and with the possibility of the death of the rsx, i'm feeling a bit stuck!
  • Options
    zitlowzitlow Member Posts: 10
    Go to www.honda.com/au/civic/hybrid for everything you want to know and see on the 2006 Honda Civic & Hybrid option. This is from Honda Australia. Gas consumption 5.2/liters 100Km...what does this translate into mpg? Great looking!
    Complete brochure!! :)
  • Options
    What's the DX-G trim line?
  • Options
    In Canada the DX-G is a base DX with the GOP (Group Option Package) hence the "G". Previously the DX-G added power locks, CD, air, and keyless entry to the DX. Don't know if it's still going to be same features or not.

In regards to seeing a civic with leather, US might get one, but in Canada we also have the Acura 1.7EL, which is basically a 4 door Civic with different front and rear styling, the 127HP Vtec engine, and leather interior, so I don't see us getting a leather Civic as it would competer head on with the EL.

• Options
    Will the Acura EL get Navigation? In the US, speculation is that we're more than likely getting Navigation on the Civic...
  • Options
    Leather is so easy to install aftermarket by the dealer that it isn't an issue.
    Plus you will be able to choose better quality leather than Honda would ever factory install.
  • Options
    mcap56mcap56 Member Posts: 48
    Can they please, please allow you to get alloy wheels on the LX????? I hate wheel covers!

Marc :mad:
  • Options
    I guess your local Honda dealer would be glad to install a set of aftermarket ones... :)
  • Options
    Can they please, please allow you to get alloy wheels on the LX????? I hate wheel covers!

Marc

For the price that they will add to the LX to get Alloys you can simply go to http://www.tirerack.com and get whatever wheels you like, for much less than Honda would charge you. Heck, you can buy used EX or Si alloys on ebay. Just make sure you get the ones that fit the LX, some of the Si wheels are 5 bolt.
  • Options
    mam262mam262 Member Posts: 37
    Those are pictures of the current Civic., not the 2006 Civic.
  • Options
    mautomauto Member Posts: 75
    There's a reason that there are so many Civic OEM alloys on Ebay: They're ugly, except for tha last two years of the EX. I'd stick with the Tire Rack and at least get some 16 or 17 inch alloys.

The dealer will simply sell you a 15 inch alloy (same as the current size on the LX) and then give you your same (read not that good) stock tires back to you on the new alloys. Oh, and then charge you $1,200 for the pleasure. No thanks.
  • Options
    bigal3bigal3 Member Posts: 107
    When will the first order of 2006 Civic Coupe arrive & be available in the Canadian dealer ? When can I start ordering the 2006 Civic Coupe in Canada ?
  • Options
    dmundy1dmundy1 Member Posts: 37
    I would suspect the 2006 Civic Coupe (not including SiR) to arrive in late September, usually a week or two behind the US. As for ordering one, I'm sure your local Honda dealer would love to take a deposit on one right now. ;)
  • Options
    The sedans will arrive first sometime in September (the orders have been placed already), while the coupes should arrive about a month afterwards.

We have no specifics on the arrival dates as of yet.

This discussion has been closed.