Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796

Oh I used to go to Fairbanks on business trips and I totally agree with you. If you walk through a row of cars in a parking lot, at least half of them will have busted windshields. At LEAST half!

Yep. When vehicles are posted for sale here, they typically have the statement "Alaskan windshield." LOL
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    Seller doesn't offer a pic of his $60k "Black Widow" project car. SEDCO gets dropped a couple times in the ad copy but I guess the seller forgot to sprinkle "tribute" in the mix.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    Little less than 7 hours to go on this 1974 Camaro Z-28 TYPE LT. Just over $21k bid and reserve not met. I wanted this when I was 15. Still do. Seller wants $35,500. Wow.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I love that Camaro. Would actually prefer it in hunter green. But not at that price!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    Eh, I'll just get a new 4-cyl Accord for $10k less and run circles around the Camaro

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    Lol... but certainly wouldn’t look as cool.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    this coming from the guy who's minivan will run circles around his 67 Coronet.

• Options
    Not sure what commercial this is from.

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    omarman said:

Little less than 7 hours to go on this 1974 Camaro Z-28 TYPE LT. Just over $21k bid and reserve not met. I wanted this when I was 15. Still do. Seller wants $35,500. Wow.

Looks like a nice piece, but you know...it's a '74 Camaro, not a '71 Camaro. He might get closer to that number at Barrett Jackson. eBay seems like the wrong place.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    fintail said:

Had the old dear out in the warmth yesterday, no issues as usual:

This time, I had two random people come up and talk about the car, one who has an old MB 170 I have seen locally, the other a young Korean (I think) guy who had never seen one as old out on the road, and was fascinated by it, wanted a pic of the engine (of course I obliged).

Next time I drive it will be to the garage that maintains it, for its yearly service and checkup.

How often, what kind of wax do you use to maintain the shine? Some cars age well and are classic, your fintail definitely qualifies!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I also had a soft spot for the reboot Z28. It went away for a few years (I think after 74) and came back in IIRC 1977. I remember the ads for it. 350, and freer exhaust (I think they took the rear resonator off). Usual stripes and stuff, and upgraded suspension. Probably slower than dirt by today's standards, but still cool to a HS kid at the time!

Edit: Gotta love the internet. a quick google, and turns out I even remembered the years correctly. Good luck finding a truly rust free example though. In the NE, a 77 probably had rust through by the end of that decade!

https://www.hemmings.com/magazine/mus/2010/05/1977-Chevrolet-Camaro-Z28/3186321.html

• Options
    stickguy said:
    this coming from the guy who's minivan will run circles around his 67 Coronet.
    Only because the Coronet is in pieces right now! ;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Only because the Coronet is in pieces right now!

okay now that is a project car :)
  • Options
    edited July 2018

omarman said:

Looks like a nice piece, but you know...it's a '74 Camaro, not a '71 Camaro. He might get closer to that number at Barrett Jackson. eBay seems like the wrong place.
    Looks like it did not make reserve. High bid was $24,100.00. :o
    Maybe it's not really for sale or maybe seller set the reserve so high just to see what offers would come?
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    I give the car a normal waxing yearly, with a liquid Meguiars hybrid natural/synthetic wax. Along with that, every time I drive the car, I give it a quick wipe with a spray detailer or gentle spray wax - 5 minute detail. The paint on the car is sound, but has some patina - the camera can hide some flaws, and I think the color wears it well. The shine on the car is a lot more subdued than on a new car, or even when the old paint was new.

And thanks, fintails were disregarded and discarded for a long time, but I think more are being saved now. They are a lot of style for the money, and a maintained one is fairly reliable.
    sda said:

How often, what kind of wax do you use to maintain the shine? Some cars age well and are classic, your fintail definitely qualifies!

• Options
    so, what is being done to the Coronet? Last I recall it was running hot, and you put a new rad in it. Is this a case of once you started digging in, just kept going until you hit bottom?

at least when it is all done and back together, and fully sorted, should be an easier sell!

• Options
    omarman said:

omarman said:

Looks like it did not make reserve. High bid was $24,100.00. :o
    Maybe it's not really for sale or maybe seller set the reserve so high just to see what offers would come?
    Possibly--it's a way to get a free appraisal--set the reserve really high, and then when the auction fails, contact the last few high bidders and try to strike a deal off-line. He should have taken $24K or tried to bump the bidder up just a little.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

so, what is being done to the Coronet? Last I recall it was running hot, and you put a new rad in it. Is this a case of once you started digging in, just kept going until you hit bottom?

at least when it is all done and back together, and fully sorted, should be an easier sell!

I still have a pile of parts to put in, such as cams, headers, timing chain set, power brake booster, etc. So I'm pulling it all apart. Just taking forever since, between all other responsibilities and chores and the sweltering weather, my time for the car is very very limited.

• Options
    My advice is don't do the work unless you are enjoying it at the time you are doing it.
  • Options
    oh, i really do enjoy it. just can't get to it. I got to spend like 30 mins one day and another 30 mins a week later. I may get some time later this week. Today was new bed delivery day (in addition to the daily tasks watching the kids, watching the new pup, and putting in freelance hours as needed).

• Options
    BTW, don't tell doc, but the Rover threw a CEL 2 weeks ago and I "took my chances and threw a part at the problem". I read the code and it came up with the ole Gross Fuel Evap Leak. Tightened the gas cap, cleared the code, and it came back on a couple of days later. Ordered a new gas cap online, installed, cleared the code, and all has been good since.

• Options
    Well take your time. You don't want to have to do an engine twice. My motto is "Have the tool and have the time".
  • Options
    Slick top means no moonroof. So IMO a bad idea!

• Options
    Car is glued to his driveway at that price. I sold my running driving base s70 with less than 100k miles for $1200

• Options
    I actually really like the 500 SL. Seems clean, and love the color.

• Options
    Slick top = no sunroof, I think.

R129 looks nicer than many, I don't know about his claim that they are appreciating.
  • Options
    gsemike said:
    Love that thing! I don't know why, but it just draws my eyes.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    I prefer 'slicktops' (hadn't heard that before) because I need lots of headroom. But in most luxury cars, it only used to come on the least-optioned versions. Now they ALL have sunroofs...grrrrr....
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    stickguy said:

I actually really like the 500 SL. Seems clean, and love the color.

Yeah, out of that group the Benz was the one that caught my eye as well. But it seems like a huge gamble even for a sunny-day car.

The SS has a reputation for eating transmissions for lunch. 61K miles on one might be a record.

Back in 2010 there was a dealer in Ottawa, ON who had a new 2009 Buick Lacrosse Super (same setup as the SS but nicer inside) as a leftover. I seem to recall it was something like $45K Cdn sticker, they said the usual "let's talk" when I contacted them. Wonder what it eventually sold for.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    fintail said:

Slick top = no sunroof, I think.

R129 looks nicer than many, I don't know about his claim that they are appreciating.

Sports Car Market says depreciating @ 2% per year, which isn't anything really--maybe 2X inflation.
  • Options
    540 is relatively cheap if it checks out

• Options
    A nice Sunday boulevard cruiser for half the price of a 560SL, budget for maintenance.

I'd like a SL73 AMG (just like this with the pano option and two piece wheels) , these still have some value:

Sports Car Market says depreciating @ 2% per year, which isn't anything really--maybe 2X inflation.

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,927
    Slick top also can refer to lack of a vinyl top on 70s and 80s land yachts.  

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    fintail said:

I give the car a normal waxing yearly, with a liquid Meguiars hybrid natural/synthetic wax. Along with that, every time I drive the car, I give it a quick wipe with a spray detailer or gentle spray wax - 5 minute detail. The paint on the car is sound, but has some patina - the camera can hide some flaws, and I think the color wears it well. The shine on the car is a lot more subdued than on a new car, or even when the old paint was new.

And thanks, fintails were disregarded and discarded for a long time, but I think more are being saved now. They are a lot of style for the money, and a maintained one is fairly reliable.

sda said:

The finish on Fintail's Fintail is better than that on a dark red-brown Fintail I saw at a Main Strasse car show near Kyfdx in Northern Kentucky a couple years back. I'll look for a picture in my files.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited July 2018
    That color might be "tobacco brown", or an older name "Havana brown" - a color notorious on mid 60s-late 70s models. But maybe not, it is a somewhat dark brown:

The finish on Fintail's Fintail is better than that on a dark red-brown Fintail I saw at a Main Strasse car show near Kyfdx in Northern Kentucky a couple years back. I'll look for a picture in my files.

• Options
    We had another name for that color but propriety forbids me to mention it.
  • Options

We had another name for that color but propriety forbids me to mention it.

Hudson?
  • Options
    I love the cars in the background of the XJS - speaks volumes.

The SLs don't seem like terrible deals. The 107 is really an early car with that steering wheel, pretty cool. The 450SEL would cost a fortune to repaint properly.
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought the early 107 might pan out for someone. The XJS is just....well....hopeless.
  • Options
    I suspect there's more than one XJS owner who also has a Silver Shadow in the driveway.
  • Options
    Right now I'm doing a big appraisal job---80 cars---and there are 4 XJS in the inventory. 3 of the 4 don't run at all, the 4th needs a jump to start but isn't currently registered.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    edited July 2018
    So it's an XJS hobby set? One for driving, 3 for parts? :D
  • Options
    At least the 3 XJS don't leak as much gas as the 1 which runs.
  • Options
    I do actually think that if you own one XJS that through some mystical force in the universe you attract all the other broken-down ones within a 50 mile radius of the back yard where you are running a rather deluxe chain of rodent motels.

XJSs, like many older Mercedes, seem to follow a pattern. These cars are experienced by observers as either on the way up or on the way down. They appear to be incapable of existing in a state of balance, but more like what happens to a bicycle if you stop pedaling.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095

XJSs, like many older Mercedes, seem to follow a pattern. These cars are experienced by observers as either on the way up or on the way down. They appear to be incapable of existing in a state of balance, but more like what happens to a bicycle if you stop pedaling.

Amazing analogy! :D

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

• Options
    Doesn't much look like a real P1 though.

Many, many Alfa 164s came with automatics---they are about a 30K miles transmission.
  • Options

Doesn't much look like a real P1 though.

Many, many Alfa 164s came with automatics---they are about a 30K miles transmission.

Man, that's sad. So, it really isn't good for much other than as a museum piece!