Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

1826827829831832842

Comments

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,826

    I had the FWD version of that 85’ Toyota truck.

    Well, that ain't right. Unless it was 4wd and the rear driveshaft was removed.

    '11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,935
    Perhaps the rear driveshaft succumbed to the upstate NY rust.

    Speaking of which, I was in traffic here the other day and got behind a rollback that pulled out of the Toyota dealer with 3 or 4 well-rusted pickup frames strapped to the deck that they must have replaced, heading no doubt to the scrap dealer.

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,476
    edited February 2023
    qbrozen said:

    I had the FWD version of that 85’ Toyota truck.

    Well, that ain't right. Unless it was 4wd and the rear driveshaft was removed.
    I guess I meant to say 2 wheel drive version. By the time I dumped it, it might have been a one wheel drive.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,275
    speaking of rusty trucks, I see a bunch on my daily walks since they are building houses up the road from me, so lots of work trucks. And seems that all but the newest have rust showing.

    best was a roofer across the street from me with a Dodge (dually I think) Ram. the entire outer bed was gone, to well above the wheel arches (maybe a foot below the top bed rail remained). And they had covered the open space with black roofing membrane (the rubbery stuff that is sticky on one side). At least it was a black truck, but it looked quite silly. especially since much of it was torn up.

    there are some trucks up here that you can just tell by the rockers and visible pieces that the frame must be crepe paper.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,766

    I saw an F150 the other day with a sag in the middle so bad it looked as if it will break in half at any time. No worries in Jersey as long as it has no check engine light they will pass it

    2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,275
    one positive to NY is they still require a real safety check. And inspections are pretty cheap ($22 I think). They actually pull a wheel and check brakes, suspension integrity, and the frame for dangerous rot.

    I assume some of the stuff running around is going with the cash under the table for a sticker plan, though I think these days it isn't that easy to find someone to do that because if they get caught the penalties are steep.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,013
    I remember when I visited MI a few years ago, the amount of trucks that appeared to be ~10 years old and rotten beyond redemption was staggering to me. Alien idea out here where I see completely intact 70s trucks still parked outside year round.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,275
    down in Jersey (Philly area) we still have winter and salted roads on occasion, but cars still hold up. What is really shocking is seeing relatively recent stuff up here (2010s era) with rot through. Cars just aren't supposed to do that any longer. not just trucks, but pickups seem to be the worst offender.

    the central/western part of NY state is even worse. That extends into the northern part of PA.

    if you ever watch any of south main auto's videos on Youtube you see it in all the gory detail. Had one recently of a 2012 or so Outback that failed inspection because the front subframe was swiss cheese and had to be replaced. I am used to my cars in that age range still looking brand new underneath.

    one reason If I decided to get a used bigger truck as a beater instead of a new maverick, I would not do it up here. Would have to go to Florida or S. Carolina to find a clean one!

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,013
    stickguy said:

    down in Jersey (Philly area) we still have winter and salted roads on occasion, but cars still hold up. What is really shocking is seeing relatively recent stuff up here (2010s era) with rot through. Cars just aren't supposed to do that any longer. not just trucks, but pickups seem to be the worst offender.

    the central/western part of NY state is even worse. That extends into the northern part of PA.

    if you ever watch any of south main auto's videos on Youtube you see it in all the gory detail. Had one recently of a 2012 or so Outback that failed inspection because the front subframe was swiss cheese and had to be replaced. I am used to my cars in that age range still looking brand new underneath.

    one reason If I decided to get a used bigger truck as a beater instead of a new maverick, I would not do it up here. Would have to go to Florida or S. Carolina to find a clean one!

    There's a YTer in MD I think - I forget the name but he does a lot of surplus government auctions, who shows cars there that surprise me with their rust - they must salt heavily . Also surprising underhood corrosion, along with brake lines etc. Something I am not used to here, a way to spot an east coast car (not meant in a good way).

  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,766

    I’ve said this before I think, but years back my old boss bought a 2013 Tahoe LTZ as an office vehicle. It was just two years old with maybe 20K miles. He got it from his brother who ran a Chevy dealer in upstate NY.

    Well… that thing was so rusted underneath in just two years that we had all kinds of problems with it. The harness for the air suspension, entire exhaust, a caliper hung and more. I remember seeing it on a lift and if you didn’t know it looked ten years old.

    2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,476
    stickguy said:

    one positive to NY is they still require a real safety check. And inspections are pretty cheap ($22 I think). They actually pull a wheel and check brakes, suspension integrity, and the frame for dangerous rot.

    I assume some of the stuff running around is going with the cash under the table for a sticker plan, though I think these days it isn't that easy to find someone to do that because if they get caught the penalties are steep.

    NY is primarily focused on emissions. I’ve never had a vehicle fail for rust although I’ve had my mechanic point out structural rust problems when in for other issues. Those cars I took off the road myself. You can have vehicles as rusted out as that roofing truck pass. If NY was like Vermont and a few other states which fail you for rusty rockers and fenders there would be no supply of spray foam and Bondo left in the state.


    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,476
    fintail said:

    stickguy said:

    down in Jersey (Philly area) we still have winter and salted roads on occasion, but cars still hold up. What is really shocking is seeing relatively recent stuff up here (2010s era) with rot through. Cars just aren't supposed to do that any longer. not just trucks, but pickups seem to be the worst offender.

    the central/western part of NY state is even worse. That extends into the northern part of PA.

    if you ever watch any of south main auto's videos on Youtube you see it in all the gory detail. Had one recently of a 2012 or so Outback that failed inspection because the front subframe was swiss cheese and had to be replaced. I am used to my cars in that age range still looking brand new underneath.

    one reason If I decided to get a used bigger truck as a beater instead of a new maverick, I would not do it up here. Would have to go to Florida or S. Carolina to find a clean one!

    There's a YTer in MD I think - I forget the name but he does a lot of surplus government auctions, who shows cars there that surprise me with their rust - they must salt heavily . Also surprising underhood corrosion, along with brake lines etc. Something I am not used to here, a way to spot an east coast car (not meant in a good way).

    I’ve seen that guy and I was shocked at how degraded some of those vehicles are.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,476
    “one reason If I decided to get a used bigger truck as a beater instead of a new maverick, I would not do it up here. Would have to go to Florida or S. Carolina to find a clean one!”

    Florida cars:





    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,275
    they will fail you for rotted frame or suspension components. rusted out rockers or fenders (especially on a BOF truck) is really not a safety issue.

    possible your mechanic is playing fast and loose with the rules but that is a good way to get in a whole heap of trouble, and lose his license.

    I know from watching the rural vermonter Youtube channel how crazy Vermont is about it, and how cheesy a rocker repair can be to get it to pass. If they want no rust, stop putting down so much brine and salt to rot everything out.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,726
    stickguy said:

    I know from watching the rural vermonter Youtube channel how crazy Vermont is about it, and how cheesy a rocker repair can be to get it to pass. If they want no rust, stop putting down so much brine and salt to rot everything out.

    Amen! Road salting is a vehicular and environmental travesty.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 238,540
    xwesx said:

    stickguy said:

    I know from watching the rural vermonter Youtube channel how crazy Vermont is about it, and how cheesy a rocker repair can be to get it to pass. If they want no rust, stop putting down so much brine and salt to rot everything out.

    Amen! Road salting is a vehicular and environmental travesty.
    Fortunately, Colorado uses mag chloride on the roads, and gravel. No salt for us.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,888
    Michaell said:

    xwesx said:

    stickguy said:

    I know from watching the rural vermonter Youtube channel how crazy Vermont is about it, and how cheesy a rocker repair can be to get it to pass. If they want no rust, stop putting down so much brine and salt to rot everything out.

    Amen! Road salting is a vehicular and environmental travesty.
    Fortunately, Colorado uses mag chloride on the roads, and gravel. No salt for us.
    I thought that combination was equally corrosive especially with gravel pecking away the paint.

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 238,540
    sda said:

    Michaell said:

    xwesx said:

    stickguy said:

    I know from watching the rural vermonter Youtube channel how crazy Vermont is about it, and how cheesy a rocker repair can be to get it to pass. If they want no rust, stop putting down so much brine and salt to rot everything out.

    Amen! Road salting is a vehicular and environmental travesty.
    Fortunately, Colorado uses mag chloride on the roads, and gravel. No salt for us.
    I thought that combination was equally corrosive especially with gravel pecking away the paint.
    Granted, I haven’t really owned a car long enough to know, but the Subaru is 8 years old and the MINI 9, and I don’t see any corrosion on either.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!


    MODERATOR

    2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,275

    That S600 will eat somebody alive.

    The Nissan is cool but the automatic just kills it.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 233,365
    edited February 2023
    Cloth interior in the Lincoln is weird, but my mother had those 50/50 seats in both of her '70s era Lincolns.

    Subie: I'm never getting a car with motorized belts. We had one, and that was enough

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,476
    My son had a 93’ DeVille just like that 91’ but with the better 4.9L engine. You could play basketball in the back seat it had so much room.


    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,645
    That Swinger - like my brother's car in HS, ran forever. 'oil pump worn out' UH OH! If the best-lubricated part of the engine is worn out, wonder how the rest is...

    Maverick - I haven't found another two-tone paint on a sedan, maybe a repaint. And 'leather'? I think not!

    Model T - running ones typically don't get bid over $10,000 on Ebay, think of all the work this one needs.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,935
    The description of that Maverick is simply crazy. Those were lousy cars even when new.

    Not much in that assortment appeals to me.

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,263

    Not a project car but I can't remember last time I saw one of these turbo Volvo wagons and this looked impeccable

    Definitely stood out in Manhattan

  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,127
    That's a fine looking wagon.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,275
    I would buy one and scrap the truck, if I could find the unicorn (fully sorted, not rusted, reasonable miles, manual trans and not too expensive!)

    the 850s go pretty far back at this point. Over 30 years now. Time flies.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,013
    Yep 850 arrived in the USDM for My 1993. Odd to think it qualifies as a vintage car to many.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,263
    edited March 2023
    What's on Marketplace on Long Island

    These camaros are on the rise.
    Needs more pics


    Single cab Taco The wheels don't help it

    Disco Vette with claimed 1 owner and 60k miles Owner thinks it has more than one carb. I'd imagine it has cross-fire injection

    This Belvedere is probably a parts car but could be a good source for bits and pieces

    Could be a stylish weekend car for 5 grand Can't tell if this fender is wrinkled

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,013
    SL looks rough, beware. Background cars also make me think masochist or curbstoner.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,645
    Yeah, having the emergency roll bar in the 'up' position isn't a good thing, right?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,127
    Taco has had more than a recent oil change, a complete chassis change!
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,013
    I think the rollbar can be manually raised (maybe?), but not sure why one would do it.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,935

    Taco has had more than a recent oil change, a complete chassis change!

    A genuine Toyota quality rust replacement frame!

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,263
    fintail said:

    SL looks rough, beware. Background cars also make me think masochist or curbstoner.

    He could be a guy the collects cars like this when they are on their last legs
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,275

    Saw this oddity on Facebook.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,935
    "Oddity" is one way to describe it. "Abomination" would be another. :s

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 233,365
    Wow..

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,726
    The more I look at that, the more I wonder why that wasn't a factory option! That's not too far off from just removing the trunk lid; those things were huge!!!!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,013
    Cars back then could tow like trucks, too.

    Crazy to think someone spent time and money making that - a labor of love.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,476
    <blockquote class="


    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,263
    Haven't checked out Craigs in a while

    Marketplace has mostly replaced Craig's on Long Island once Craigs started charging, but there are still some cars listed here:
    I guess it's mostly dealers and curbstoners

    2005 GMC 2500 w 80k miles

    87 Seville looks really clean Look at that yollow interior

    An Audi of this age is scary but could be fun good weather extra car

    Drive an electric BMW for 10 grand

    59 Ford Galaxy

    This early X5 looks like it has held up well

    This 86 Toyota van claims 68k miles But miles have been tough. The interior is mostly disintegrated and I suspect shot when wet to make body look better
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,476
    Maybe I’m living in the past but that 18 yo GMC truck should be a third less. Otherwise I’d love it.

    Didn’t that electric BMW only have like a 50 mile range?

    The 59’ Ford would be my pick. Compared to other classic cars it seems cheap.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,013
    Caddy might be fair, that era is gaining steam and it is a real period piece. Deduct a little to change out the wheels to a period STS set.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,888
    edited March 2023
    Too bad the Seville still has the 4.1. It does have a rare moonroof.

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,935
    sda said:

    Too bad the Seville still has the 4.1. It does have a rare moonroof.

    I was just about to say that. I love the yellow inside and out!

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,275
    I actually like that Seville. For some reason that body style appealed to me. the colors, well, not what I would pick. And I hate the steering wheel. That would be a deal breaker, though easily changed in pre-airbag models!

    that van, probably could tell some stories you would not want to hear. I assume the engine is in the box the front seats sit on. body does look clean enough. Just take it, get a sawzall and a case of bud light, a bunch of friends, and pretty soon will have an LS stuffed in there.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,013
    Early Allante had a similar steering wheel, which is my least favorite detail in the car.

    Seville would look good on these wheels (these early "Touring" models seem to be pretty rare):


  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,826
    I also like the Caddy, and I'm disgusted with myself for it.

    '11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,645
    I'd rather go older...


    or younger...


Sign In or Register to comment.