Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

1836837838840842

Comments

  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,929
    edited November 2023
    Those G-body Cutlasses are pretty flexy at the best of times so I hate to think what a 455 might do to one.

    I like the interior on that 810 but the lack of any wider shots inside makes me suspect that the plaid cloth has worn thin in places.

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,106
    That Jeep GC look pretty good.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,811

    Too bad those first 2 are automatics

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 56,998
    I suspect the 810 is also a middling repaint along with possible interior decay. It would look at lot better on maybe period 280Z wheels or a stock wheelcover. I have a little soft spot for some period Japanese cars, especially hardtop coupes.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,255
    ab348 said:

    Those G-body Cutlasses are pretty flexy at the best of times so I hate to think what a 455 might do to one.

    I like the interior on that 810 but the lack of any wider shots inside makes me suspect that the plaid cloth has worn thin in places.

    I thought that those were full frame so would be rigid but that particular one looks like an old 455 was just slapped in. If engine is out of a 77 wagon, its a low powered boat anchor. If the engine is built, I don't think the drivetrain will hold up
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,641
    edited November 2023
    A number of body-on-frame cars were considered 'flexi flyers' at the time.

    I'd prefer a well-tuned Olds 350 over a 455 in that Cutlass, anyway.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,255
    texases said:

    A number of body-on-frame cars were considered 'flexi flyers' at the time.

    I'd prefer a well-tuned Olds 350 over a 455 in that Cutlass, anyway.

    Still, these have come into favor for drag cars because the bones are there. I've seen where the foors will rot but I think that frame is going to be OK
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,238
    that Shay roadster might actually be fun. much better than an original.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,811

    I’m with stick. I wouldn’t want an original.

    Lacking way too much detail on that, though. I’d be interested to know more.

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,457
    I had the opportunity to buy a 1970 240Z back in 1976 for $1,000 but passed. Shame, it was in much better shape than that one.

    I never heard of a Shay roadster but yeah, I’d like to take that one for a spin.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,106
    In Volvo ad - IYK, YK.
    Lincoln could be a good winter beater, already has snows.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,238
    regardless of being a scam, I love that Corvette. Nice engine upgrade that won't really detract from originality. But I would rather a later model for the disk brakes. though likely an easy enough upgrade.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,457
    On the 280zx I’d like to look at his “recipe” to see what’s cooking. I’m always suspicious of “just needs a…” claims.

    On some of the others I notice missing titles. On the parts cars that’s not necessarily a deal breaker but in NY I don’t think you’d ever be able to register a car like that. Is it easier on the west coast?

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 233,025
    I have no love for the ZX.

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,884
    I like the Rover TC 2000. My BIL had a Buick Regal Custom, black with tan cloth interior, 3.1 V6 very similar to that one. A comfortable car but totally numbing.

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,929
    Those Rover 2000TCs were nice cars when they ran well. The problem was that they seldom did.

    I am not getting the "scammy" vibe on the Corvette. What are you seeing?

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 56,998

    On the 280zx I’d like to look at his “recipe” to see what’s cooking. I’m always suspicious of “just needs a…” claims.

    On some of the others I notice missing titles. On the parts cars that’s not necessarily a deal breaker but in NY I don’t think you’d ever be able to register a car like that. Is it easier on the west coast?

    I believe WA has a fairly simple lost title process. Maybe even easier in ID, which is one of those low regulation areas that also has a local rep for title washing.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 56,998
    ab348 said:

    Those Rover 2000TCs were nice cars when they ran well. The problem was that they seldom did.

    I am not getting the "scammy" vibe on the Corvette. What are you seeing?

    Price seems low for the apparent quality and features of the Corvette. The boomer stereotypes who own such material tend to want full bubble auction prices for their cars, at least locally. Also very generic pics with no visible plates.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,255
    fintail said:

    ab348 said:

    Those Rover 2000TCs were nice cars when they ran well. The problem was that they seldom did.

    I am not getting the "scammy" vibe on the Corvette. What are you seeing?

    Price seems low for the apparent quality and features of the Corvette. The boomer stereotypes who own such material tend to want full bubble auction prices for their cars, at least locally. Also very generic pics with no visible plates.
    And those mechanical upgrades, yet no pic did seem perculiar

    On the other hand, the mechanical upgrades notes are very particular, not what I'd expect to see on a scam ad
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 56,998
    gsemike said:

    fintail said:

    ab348 said:

    Those Rover 2000TCs were nice cars when they ran well. The problem was that they seldom did.

    I am not getting the "scammy" vibe on the Corvette. What are you seeing?

    Price seems low for the apparent quality and features of the Corvette. The boomer stereotypes who own such material tend to want full bubble auction prices for their cars, at least locally. Also very generic pics with no visible plates.
    And those mechanical upgrades, yet no pic did seem perculiar

    On the other hand, the mechanical upgrades notes are very particular, not what I'd expect to see on a scam ad
    I suspect the ad copy and pics were lifted from a legit ad, probably one with a price 50% or more higher.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,255
    edited December 2023
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,457
    My son had a K car like that 1988 Plymouth Reliant. Cost $300 with 130k miles. Total beater but he got 10k miles of use before he tore the oil pan out and tried to drive it home. Sold it for $100.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,641

    A discussion over on the CarTalk forum about a rusted out 190SL selling for $63,000. Questions about whether it was a ‘numbers matching’ car. @fintail - would that make much difference, regardless of condition?
    https://community.cartalk.com/t/a-63k-fixer-upper-1960-mercedes-190sl/194053/27

  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 233,025
    I've noticed they don't seem to care much on Euro cars, unless it's a $million Ferrari.

    The Porsche 356 Registry even allows replica vehicles.. :o

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 56,998
    texases said:

    A discussion over on the CarTalk forum about a rusted out 190SL selling for $63,000. Questions about whether it was a ‘numbers matching’ car. @fintail - would that make much difference, regardless of condition?
    https://community.cartalk.com/t/a-63k-fixer-upper-1960-mercedes-190sl/194053/27

    Yeah, for MBs, numbers matching isn't a big deal unless it is something extremely rare and valuable (like a rare spec gullwing maybe), and even then people are forgiving. For something relatively ordinary like a 190SL, not really relevant.

    I suspect the price on that intensive project is from it being RHD, I suspect that's quite rare. Otherwise, I can probably get a nice driver/local show quality usual LHD 190SL for around 100K, no point paying 60K for a full restoration project.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,255
    edited January 8
    If you want to get in the game for not a ton of money

    What if you don't have 30 40 grand just to get started? Classics are so crazy here that these looked interesting

    Jensen Healy

    Pontiac Chieftain

    Weird year Rachero

    Daytona Shelby Z

  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,106
    Jensen seems like a steal.
    Ranchero is a bit off but not too pricey.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,255

    Jensen seems like a steal.
    Ranchero is a bit off but not too pricey.

    Rachero is a frankencar and weird year with that LTD II front end but maybe a presentable driver for 4 figures
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,106
    The Ranchero looked like that for 77 and 78.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 56,998

    Jensen seems like a steal.
    Ranchero is a bit off but not too pricey.

    You mean there wasn't a Ranchero SS? :) (there was an Escort SS though!)

    Jensen-Healey does look good for the money, probably has some fun quirks too.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,457
    gsemike said:

    If you want to get in the game for not a ton of money

    What if you don't have 30 40 grand just to get started? Classics are so crazy here that these looked interesting

    Jensen Healy

    Pontiac Chieftain

    Weird year Rachero

    Daytona Shelby Z

    My question on all of those are parts available? I’ve seen some fairly high production cars half that age where you couldn’t fix them.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,255

    gsemike said:

    If you want to get in the game for not a ton of money

    What if you don't have 30 40 grand just to get started? Classics are so crazy here that these looked interesting

    Jensen Healy

    Pontiac Chieftain

    Weird year Rachero

    Daytona Shelby Z

    My question on all of those are parts available? I’ve seen some fairly high production cars half that age where you couldn’t fix them.
    The Daytona and Ranchero platforms and engines were used in so many cars for so long, I'd imagine most parts could be had
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 233,025
    fintail said:

    Jensen seems like a steal.
    Ranchero is a bit off but not too pricey.

    You mean there wasn't a Ranchero SS? :) (there was an Escort SS though!)

    Jensen-Healey does look good for the money, probably has some fun quirks too.
    I thought the Escort was a GT?

    Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

    Edmunds Moderator

  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 18,929

    The Ranchero looked like that for 77 and 78.

    The seats in this one sure aren't original. Don't know if that is a center console or a cooler between them.

    2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,238
    the console in the Ranchero is very weird. The Daytona could be fun but that one looks to have been seriously monkeyed with and is probably a nightmare.

    Love the Jensen. Always had a fond spot for them. I would also be shocked if it was not hiding a lot of rust underneath, and parts availability, I assume is not good.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,811

    @gsemike said:
    If you want to get in the game for not a ton of money

    What if you don't have 30 40 grand just to get started? Classics are so crazy here that these looked interesting

    Jensen Healy

    Pontiac Chieftain

    Weird year Rachero

    Daytona Shelby Z

    Oh that poor poor Pontiac.

    Shelby seems like a deal if it isn’t rusted.

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,255
    ab348 said:

    The Ranchero looked like that for 77 and 78.

    The seats in this one sure aren't original. Don't know if that is a center console or a cooler between them.
    Pretty sure those seats are out of 90s GM intermediate
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,255
    stickguy said:

    the console in the Ranchero is very weird. The Daytona could be fun but that one looks to have been seriously monkeyed with and is probably a nightmare.

    Love the Jensen. Always had a fond spot for them. I would also be shocked if it was not hiding a lot of rust underneath, and parts availability, I assume is not good.

    Daytona ad says no rust. Would like an engine pic. Seems like a kid has been fiddling with it. I appreciate a young guy being into that car, but work needs to be double checked
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,238
    well, they always say no rust. but you want to verify that.

    I was not referring to rust in that case. The wheels, and "changes" to the interior with wires running all over the place, screams to me of hackery.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,106
    Interesting video. You need to do your homework.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pivxkaR95o4

    Here is the BAT listing.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-nissan-240sx-21/
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,255
    Good video. I like the Flying Wheels channel .

    It is interesting, the car appear to be likely a fake, but who would fake it and why? It's not like it's some 6 figure car
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,238
    I watched that last night. Not sure it is a fake, more that the mileage may or may not be legit, but it has definitely been hit and repaired.

    2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,457

    Interesting video. You need to do your homework.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pivxkaR95o4

    Here is the BAT listing.
    https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-nissan-240sx-21/

    That car is suspect as hell and it sounds like the sellers are shady too. So they were kicked off BaT for shill bidding but Mecum welcomed them with open arms? I smell a lawsuit coming somewhere down the line.

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,457
    gsemike said:

    Good video. I like the Flying Wheels channel .

    It is interesting, the car appear to be likely a fake, but who would fake it and why? It's not like it's some 6 figure car

    And they seemed to saying that the quality of the work was good for the most part. Why do a good job if you’re a scammer?

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,811

    @oldfarmer50 said:
    That car is suspect as hell and it sounds like the sellers are shady too. So they were kicked off BaT for shill bidding but Mecum welcomed them with open arms? I smell a lawsuit coming somewhere down the line.

    From the little I read, story is that the seller contacted BaT and said they need to pull the auction. BaT didn’t do so and/or didn’t respond. Seller then made the high bid to avoid selling to anyone. Seller quit BaT after that. I’ve made my beef with BaT known, so I am definitely leaning towards believing the story.

    '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 56,998
    edited January 14
    On the subject of standard equipment in ~1980 Cadillacs and a base MB of the era, I saw this car linked in a group I read now and then and it is a good example.

    This car isn't perfect, but the color does it - appears to be "China Blue", effectively the same color as the fintail. It looks like a clean enough old car, not rusty, etc. Biggest issue for many would be the (lack of) speed - this thing would be borderline dangerous in many modern driving situations. Maybe good for an in-town hobby car.

    In 1982, for your $23K base price, which was probably the same as a nicely optioned Seville Elegante, you got: manual windows, manual seats (but I believe all 123s had vacuum locks). vinyl interior, analog display stereo, and 67 horsepower.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,884
    edited January 14
    fintail said:

    On the subject of standard equipment in ~1980 Cadillacs and a base MB of the era, I saw this car linked in a group I read now and then and it is a good example.

    This car isn't perfect, but the color does it - appears to be "China Blue", effectively the same color as the fintail. It looks like a clean enough old car, not rusty, etc. Biggest issue for many would be the (lack of) speed - this thing would be borderline dangerous in many modern driving situations. Maybe good for an in-town hobby car.

    In 1982, for your $23K base price, which was probably the same as a nicely optioned Seville Elegante, you got: manual windows, manual seats (but I believe all 123s had vacuum locks). vinyl interior, analog display stereo, and 67 horsepower.

    That does put things in perspective compared to the standard features standard on the Cadillac of the same time frame. That 240 D could be Fintail’s slower little brother.

    2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

Sign In or Register to comment.