Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Bluetooth Technology

Comments

• Options
    utterutter Member Posts: 79
    It would be nice to be able to use bluetooth to share files between your cell and your car to play msuic nad such. That would be great. Get an HD for the car so you can switch your music selection everytime you leave your car..? Is this possible already?
  • Options
    pthomas1pthomas1 Member Posts: 1
    I am a Verizon customer of 13 years. After a total of 8 hrs on the phone with Verizon customer no service and with the tech support persons at two stores. I was told the Motorola V710 was capable of all functions with the Lexus models. However Verizon has blocked certain capablities. You can connect with your car and answer your phone but you can not call out hands free because Verizon has blocked the phones ability to transfer the phone book. I bought two V710's on Tuesday and I am returning them tomorrow. I will be changing my service provider to Cingular.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I am a Verizon customer of 13 years.

Technically and FWIW, Verizon has only been around since 1996 when Bell Atlantic merged with GTE. In any case, I'd be miffed too!

tidester, host
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Bluetooth devices transfer digital data quite slowly now. I transfered my favorite song as the ring tone to the V551 from Sony Vaio Z1WA. It took no less than 5 minutes for a 2M mp3 file transfer. Keep the hope up, though. We will get there. Possibility is endless.
  • Options
    rickinmarickinma Member Posts: 2
    OK - I've now seen Bluetooth in use - watched one friend transfer files easily, and another used the hands-free in an Acura TL - it's awesome

I recently bought a2005 Buick Rainier - I really like the OnStar/verizon handsfree thing, but don't like having a separate phone number for the car (and would rather not pay Verizon anymore than I already have too)

I've been told they sell aftermarket Bluetooth adapters, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any Bluetooth units that take advantage of some of the OnStar equipment (microphone, radio connection, etc)

I like the way it works now, but I'd rather have caller ID and call-waiting...

Thanks,
    Rick
  • Options
    sebring_miatasebring_miata Member Posts: 2
    Here is the reason why Verizon isn't being very nice when it comes to Bluetooth compatitbilty:
    The [Verizon phone] includes Get It Now, our virtual mall of games and productivity tools that customers can download. The agreements we have with our content providers preclude our allowing anyone to download these applications beyond the phone. The open architecture of Bluetooth could also allow customers to download Get It Now applications beyond the phone"

so to read between the lines - they are concerned about piracy of BREW games and ringtones. that's what this has all been about. keeping tight control over what is put on their handsets

See here for more details: http://www.burningdoor.com/steve/archives/000977.html
  • Options
    docz1docz1 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a v710, and am trying to pair it w/ my 05 TL and I can't receive incomming calls do you have any more info on how to successfully pair these.
    Thanks

z
  • Options
    steveinindysteveinindy Member Posts: 48
    Does anyone know whether the Jabra bluetooth adapter (A-210) can be used to link a non-bluetooth phone to the 2005 RL?
  • Options
    steveinindysteveinindy Member Posts: 48
    Nevermind, it does not work. I have now purchased a LG PM-325, with my existing Sprint PCS service, and it works great with the RL. No signal strength or battery level shows on the dash, but I don't consider that important. The feature is really fun to use. Frankly, its a lot like using the Onstar phone, only the minutes are not nearly as expensive!
  • Options
    rjprjp Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I was told by Nextel that I would be able to pair my Blackberry 7520 with the bluetooth system in my LS430. However, although the dialing and speakers in the car work... the mic does not. Hence, I can't use the handsfree at all!

Has anyone used a bluetooth blackberry successfully in the LS430?
  • Options
    apopapop Member Posts: 16
    There is a firmware update available for the Verizon V710 that helps with car connectivity.

If you haven't updated in the last month or so it might pay to stop by your local Verizon store.

Also check out

http://www.verizonwireless.com/pdfs/user_guides/CDMA_BT_OEM-Car-Kit-Support_022105-to-Web.- pdf
  • Options
    gblutasgblutas Member Posts: 1
    The Motorola 710 which can be purchased at Verizon has some limited use in the Lexus RX330. Once you pair the phone with the vehicle it does find it everytime you get in the car with the phone (provided you have set the phone for handsfree on) otherwise you have to pair it each time you get in. The speaker and microphone work well. The problems are: you can't download your phone phone book to the car phone book - the software doesn't work. You also can't program numbers into the phone book of the car it must be done from transferring which won't work with the Motorola phone (they are working on a software upgrade for this). Also, when you are in the car with the phone paired to the car you can't use the speaker on the phone to voice command it to dial so you at a loss with voice commands for dialing from either as there is no phone book in the car. Also, in order to use the voice dial on the phone you must hold and scroll down in your contacts in order to dial - if you do that it will connect through the car speakers.

They have a lot of work to do.

I've spent two days between Verizon and the Lexus dealer with this stuff.

gblutas
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Just got a Blackberry 7100T and the M2500 headset. Works well in non-noisy environments, and the M2500 is among the smaller headsets.

Only complaint is I drive a Miata and the wind noise makes it hard to talk when the top is down.

Setup was a piece of cake. I know it's not integrated with the car, but I chuckled when I read the secret service comments above. I feel kind of "cell crazy" using it outside my car, though.

-juice

PS service is with T-Mobile
  • Options
    lcheshirelcheshire Member Posts: 1
    INSTRUCTIONS FOR UPLOADING A PHONEBOOK INTO THE TOYOTA PRIUS
    USING A PALM TUNGSTEN T

1. I own a Tungsten T. You may be able to get the same results with other Palm devices that use Bluetooth, or other PDA's that have Bluetooth.

2. I did download and install the latest Palm One bluetooth software. It was touted as having better connections and more phone support.

I converted my Motorola V710 phonebook to a text file. Now, I'm not savvy enough to know how you convert a WAB file or anything.....I actually typed a new text file with short names and phone numbers (having no dashes in the numbers).

At this point, there are several ways to load your text file to your Palm or other PDA. In order to move it, you should create a CATEGORY in Addressbook on your PDA. I named that category "Phonebook". Once your file is loaded into this Addressbook category, you are ready to go to the car.

Start the car, let it find the cellphone. Go to Telephone....Transfer File. It will say "Send phonebook from phone". On your PDA, opened to the "Phonebook" category in Addressb ook, select "Send Category". You will then have a choice to send by Bluetooth. Your PDA will then search for a bluetooth device, and hopefully will find it (as "HANDS FREE").
    Check the box beside HANDS FREE. You will be shown a screen on your PDA to input the access code. The transfer should then begin. When complete, you will not see the transfer screen on the Prius. Open your Phonebook on the Prius and everything should be there.

If you have any questions about this particular procedure, please don't hesitate to email me at laverne@iname.com
  • Options
    tltltltltltl Member Posts: 2
    Try This-It worked for me

On your Motorola V710, go to Settings

Then Go to Car Settings

The first feature under Car Settings is for "Auto Answer" If this feature is on then turn it off. This worked for me.

When a call comes in use the phone button on the steering to answer.
  • Options
    ddavisladdavisla Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to transfer the phonebook/contacts from the LG PM-325 phone (Spint PCS service) to the Bluetooth Hands Free phone in the Toyota Prius vehichle? I can't find a menu option on the phone to begin the transfer.

Thanks, --David
  • Options
    ojogaltojogalt Member Posts: 5
    Motorola is launching the Ojo videotelephone seen on Fox "24" this season. Not wireless yet but needs broadband cable or DSL near term. Hope is it will be wireless in near future so could be used in vehicle. Check it out at motorola.com/ojo & ojoworld.com & wgate.com

I want the AI option package but I think the Bluetooth only comes in the package with the Navigation system which adds 5000 to the cost!

Is the bluetooth available to add after car arrives at dealership? Sounds like a mess from the above posts although some don't know how they ever lived without it, whatever it is? Sounds like some sort of telephone but will have to check out links suggested on other posts.
    Incidentally, Motorola doesn't make the Ojo videophone but signed a multi year exclusive marketing and distribution agreement with WorldGate WGAT a small company 32M float compared to MOT 2.4B float.

Thanks for whatever enlightening comments or thoughts you have in store for me.
  • Options
    priusownerpriusowner Member Posts: 1
    Help I have a Sony Ericsson Bluetooth enabled phone. It works fine with my 2005 Prius except when I am driving. When driving all dial buttons (including the 1-touch dial buttons) are greyed out. I have to dial from the phone to make a call while driving (which is far less safe than using 1-touch or the phonebook). Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thanks
  • Options
    utterutter Member Posts: 79
    Are there alternative methods that are competing against Blue tooth? I was reading that blue tooth was not chosen wisely?
  • Options
    vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    Just bought the updated version of the V710 from Verizon. While you can't download your phone book everything else seems to work fine. The TL with the V710 connected via Bluetooth displays the battery meter, signal strength, caller ID, etc . It recognizes voice just fine. The TL lets you set up a phone book yourself so the address book download from the phone is no biggie. All in all a good deal, I think. :shades:
  • Options
    ajwestportajwestport Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,
    Just got my beautiful 2005 Lexus RX330. Perfect car, I am in love. One problem: the Bluetooth system. I've matched up my Cingular Motorola perfectly, make calls, get calls, it all works... Only thing is that the people I speak with hardly hear me at all. I hear them perfectly. They complain that I sound faint and far away. I have confirmed this by calling my voicemail and then listening to the message I recorded from the car. I am really annoyed by this. It was a major reason I was so excited about my Nav system (which this came with). PLEASE help, any and all tips or tricks are appreciated. Thanks. :confuse:
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Seems like it's not using the microphone, but the phone's instead.

I had that problem a while ago with a phone dock, and it turned out to be incredibly simple - the plug wasn't in all the way.

-juice
  • Options
    crystal2crystal2 Member Posts: 52
    vaughn4, What does TL mean? This is new to me; I will be getting my new RX330 soon with Nav and Bluetooth. I am still in contract with Verizon (the best wireless in my area because of clear reception) so I need to consider the Motorola V710 made for Verizon. Any tips on usage would be helpful Thanks.
  • Options
    cluelesspacluelesspa Member Posts: 648
    TL is the Acura TL ... I am assuming Vaughn4 is talking about
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me if the new 2005 Acura RL and Lexus RX are they using BT 1.2 or the older BT 1.1 standard ? BT1.2 is better for noise rejection and interferance... only the newest Cell phones are BT 1.2

BT 1.2 is backward compatable with BT 1.1 or 1.0 phones but you dont get the improved signal.
  • Options
    vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    Yes, TL means Acura TL... I would have to agree that Verizon has the best/clearest signal in my area too. By the way I LOVE my 05 TL; best car I've owned. Best SUV we've owned is the 05 Acura MDX. Could say we love our overpriced Honda's. :P
  • Options
    mark45mark45 Member Posts: 1
    I just talked to my Lexus dealer and they said to go to Lexus.Letstalk.com. There's a list of phones compatible with different Lexus models. Note: No Verizon phones are on the list. Let me know how the others work out.
  • Options
    horohoro Member Posts: 2
    I did not want the navigation package, but I would like to be able to use my Bluetooth-enabled phone with the Prius display. Any way to do it?
  • Options
    300c300c Member Posts: 11
    Try googling Supertooth. Portable bluetooth for your car.
  • Options
    jbren1jbren1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Motorola V505 and a new Prius and am having the same problem. According to the phone's user manual, there is a function in the phone to transfer the phone numbers via Bluetooth one-by-one, but I haven't tried it. Says: press menu key, go into phonebook, highlight entry, press menu key, press send, select Bluetooth.
  • Options
    horohoro Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate the tip on Supertooth. However, I am trying to determine whether there is a Bluetooth interface that will allow me to use the Prius display for a Bluetooth phone without having the navigation system installed.
  • Options
    achillexachillex Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting ready to purchase the Motorola V710 phone and I saw conflicting reports about it working on the HandsFreeLink on an 05 Acura TL. I decided to write Acura directly and here is their response. Hope this helps.

Btw, isn't this a great way to get the word out to the CONSUMERS...I applaud Edmunds.com for creating such a site!!!

Thank you for visiting acura.com and for your inquiry regarding
    HandsFreeLink compatible phones. You are correct, if your V710 has the new
    software, which is 1.40.0 or greater, then you should be able to use it
    with HandsFreeLink. Your local authorized Verizon dealer should be able to
    perform the software upgrade for you if needed. Once we know the software
    upgrade is available to all customers we will list the V710 with this
    software as approved.

Please feel free to contact us with additional questions.

Sincerely,

HandsFreeLink Customer Service

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, May 09, 2005 6:37 AM
    To: HandsFreeLink Support
    Subject: HandsFreeLink Web Support

This e-mail was auto-generated by the HandsFreeLink web site at 05/09/2005
    09:36:55.

Vehicle Information:
    2005 TL

Mobile Phone:
    Motorola v710

Mobile Carrier:
    Verizon

Reason for Contacting HFL Support:
    Inquires - Compatible Cell Phones

User Comments:
    The Acura HandsFreeLink web site indicates that the Motorola V710 cell phone
    is not compatible w/ the HandsFreeLink but I checked Verizon and they said
    that w/ the software version 1.40.0 installed on the Motorola V710 it is
    compatible. I'd like to get confirmation from Acura what is supported
    before I purchase the Motorola V710 cell phone. Thanks.
  • Options
    klee3klee3 Member Posts: 57
    I have a 2005 TL. Any of you guys have Motorola RAZR V3? How's your experience using it with TL? My 1 yr. cell phone contract will expire at the end of the month and my current cell phone does not have bluetooth capability. Anyway, thanks in advance for your feedback. Also, how about Motorola V600 and V710? Any other recommendations?
  • Options
    loismarksloismarks Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Lexus LS430 & bought a Cingular Motorola V551 to pair w. car's Bluetooth system. After hours calling Cingular, Motorola, Lexus I've been advised that Lexus is using the old & original BT 1.0 softwear. They've used this in 2004, 2005 & 2006 vehicles however all cells now being sold are equipped for BT 1.1 or above (up to BT2.0) & while it pairs w. the car.....it is a flawed compatibility. I can't understand why Lexus can't or hasn't updated their softwear for 3 years. Lexus doesn't have good answers. I was told that Cadillac updated their BT softwear. Have you more info?
  • Options
    armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    My Cingular V551 works great with my '04 TL.
  • Options
    Because I have a Cingular V551 that works beautifully with my Prius (which has exactly the same BT system as Lexus LS). My co-worker just acquired a V551 from Cingular. I helped him set it up with his '05 Lexus LS430 without any issues at all. If all you need is a manual, please let me know.
  • Options
    psnmpsnm Member Posts: 6
    Is there any bluetooth phone (of any carrier) that allows for phonebook transfer between the handset and the Acura TL05?
  • Options
    I did a few dozen emails to the major phone mfg. and they do not currently or in the near future have a BT 1.2 phone! that was Nokia, Sony Eric, Motorolla that I checked! after 5 emails each I finally got to a person who knew what I was asking.

Looks like LG is releasing a bt 1.2 phone but only in Singapore for now. Strange thing is Motorolla headsets are now BT 1.2 but they have no phones to take advantage of the advance noise rejection and other features of BT1.2 ! if you use a BT 1.1 phone with a BT 1.0 car kit , the phone wil downgrade to 1.0! It sucks that Lexus hasnt updated their hardware to at LEAST 1.1 Bluetooth. unfortunately I dont think its a software update only.
  • Options
    Yes, Cingular V551 and many others from Cingular (none from Verizon's).
    However, with V551, you will have to send one contact at a time, not the entire phone book at once. It is pity.
  • Options
    inemerinemer Member Posts: 44
    Same with Motorolla V525 (Cingular) with is European version of V551
  • Options
    mpjmpj Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone tried to use a Blackberry 7520 (Nextel) with the TL? I doubt the direct connect will work, but does everything else work?

Just wondering before I puchase the phone.
    Thanks
  • Options
    iamsdiamsd Member Posts: 1
    I just paired my Blackberry 7520 (Nextel) with the HandsFreeLink on my 05 TL 2 days ago. With your 7520, you would need to turn Blackberry on, enable Bluetooth, assign the same number as you would with the HFL, name the phone via the HFL, and remember to allow the connection (from the 7520) whenever you bring the phone inside the car.
  • Options
    frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    I am picking up my TL today, so just how does Bluetooth work? Sorry for my ignorence.
  • Options
    cswaincswain Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2005 TL today and set up the handsfreelink fine. However after it dials a number it defaults back to my phone so I don't hear anything thru the car speakers only thru the phone. I am using the Audiovox xv 6600. Am I missing something from the set up that allows me to hear thru the speakers. I tried the transfer command but it didn't work.
    Thanks
    Charles
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    According to my Sprint customer service representative, blue tooth technology is nothing more than a shortwave radio signal between your cellphone and the cars (or other bt device) computer. Anyone else have a better explanation? BTW.....my Treo 650 has limited function in my TL even though it is not on the list of acceptable phones. I can dial the # on my cell and the call comes thru the car speakers. Ditto for incoming calls. However, I cannot use the voice activation system. The lady just says "phone not found" Interesting......
  • Options
    blue tooth technology is nothing more than a shortwave radio signal between your cellphone and the cars (or other bt device) computer.

That's a bit oversimplified. The "technology" consists of the the microwave receiver and transmitter, signal generation, modulation/demodulation and communications software. As with all leading edge technology, standards are evolving and there will be incompatibilities between devices.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Thanks.

I have Bluetooth on my iPAQ but haven't had occasion to try it out yet.

tidester, host
  • Options
    lamonklamonk Member Posts: 3
    Nextel finally has an alternative BT enabled phone to the Blackberry 7520. I'm looking for feedback from anyone who has tried the new i605 with a Prius or Lexus. I tried pairing an i605 at a Nextel store but the mobile wouldn't connect. The phone wasn't activated, which according to the Prius Navig. Manual . is one of the possible reasons the BT system may not function (the manual is a little unclear on this point, see pg. 108). The phone retails for $299, and I would like to know if it is actually going to work b/f I purchase. Thanks
  • Options
    gbrunkgbrunk Member Posts: 1
    I have an Acura 05 TL and a v710 phone with Verizon. I finally figured out that to have it work properly you need to set the ring style to "LOUD" to work with the Hands Free Link. I think it's a Verizon thing.
This discussion has been closed.