Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Toyota Corolla

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    "I guess a small quality car that is nicely appointed and gets 40mpg is too much to ask of the most advanced society in history. Maybe theres hope further in the future. "

Not at all,Toyota Prius gets 50 in the city 45 highway real world figures. Have you considered one? They've just announced the tax credits are back. A whopping $3150.00 on 08's!
    And they are a lot of fun!

link title
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Mazda3 Touring or Grand Touring are pretty nice if you don't need your car to have a very strong A/C unit.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    What??? Where did you here this about the tax credits? I'm shocked :surprise: .

AFAIK the credits expired on 9-30 so as of now they are $0.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    I vote Fox's "Simpsons", but with me, you can never be sure..... :blush:

DrFill
  • elemoncellielemoncelli Member Posts: 43
    The Prius Touring holds some promise. If I could stiffen the ride (all toyota's) and ditch the spoiler that up in your rearward vision as a 3 inch thick horizontal line the car would be perfect (Prius) I would have bought a Corolla XRS but I cant drive a stick due to medical reasons.

I love Toyota's (I'm even a shareholder)the only problem with them is the float. The luxury car floaty feel makes me feel disconnected as if I lack control and that makes me crazy. Give me a stiff suspension over soft any day.

Basically what I want is a car that drives like a German but is reliable as a Japanese model. Apparently that is too much to ask, although it happens a lot when I'm sleeping ;)
    The 08 Prius and Camry and Highlander were added to the current list of 08's/ Prius is $3150 Camry %$2600 or so and so is Highlander. Got the letter you should too. Dated 25 Sept from CAT Headquarters.
    Mackabee
    OK I see what you wrote now and yes I agree. The 08s are included...up through 9-30. However as of 10-1 all the tax credits disappeared for all the models.
    No. I have a letter from the Department of the Treasury, Internal revenue service To Toyota Motor Sales USA dated 25 September 2007 that reads:
    We have reviewed the certification dated August 30, 2007. prepared by John Kennelly, Vice President- Corporate Tax and Customs of Toyota Motor Sales USA. Incorporated which was submitted under Notice 2006-9 relative to the Toyota Prius Hybrid, Toyota Camry Hybrid, Toyota Highlander Hybrid 4wd, Lexus LS 600H L Hybrid, Lexus RX 400H Hybrid 2wd and Lexus RX 400H Hybrid 4wd for Model Year 2008. The certification asserts that the vehicle meets the requirements of the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit AS A Qualified Hybrid Motor Vehicle.

We have determined that a purchaser of this hybrid vehicle may rely on the certification concerning the vehicle's qualification for the Qualified Hybrid Vehicle Credit. The credit amounts for the 2008 Toyota's are as follows:

2008 Prius $3150.00
    2008 Camry 2650.00
    2008 Highlander 2600.00
    2008 Lexus LS 600H $1800.00
    2008 Lexus RX 400H 2WD AND 4WD $2200.00

There you go, happy selling!

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    So the 2009 Corolla wasn't included on that list? :surprise:
  • kenymkenym Member Posts: 405
    Corolla don't offer a Hybrid :P
  • woofwoof Member Posts: 27
    Guess we'll have to wait and see what the new Corolla offers... as you've probably seen on Toyota's website, our wait should be over in a few weeks. As an owner of Toyotas and VWs, I give Toyota much credit for studying the competition. As for MPG, my VW TDI with 114k still does 50 MPG and is so, so much more fun than a Prius, it's, well, embarassing. I'm still on the original set of brakes (pads and rotors) and only had a few lamps go bad. Surprise to me, but my VW has been more reliable than any of my Toyotas. None-the-less, VWs are now kinda pricey, so I also anxiously await the new Corolla as a replacement for my RAV4. Here's to wishing and hoping!
    Bingo!
    That's the name of the game. Do what your competition does but do it better.
    Mack
    Further clarification, Yes the tax credits did apply to the 2008 models but the buyers had to take delivery of the vehicle by Sept 30, 2007. The IRS has not extended the availability of the credit past that date.

Source: Dawn Mercer, Vehicle Operations Manager at CAT.
    No, no, no. Why would they put the 08 Highlander on there if it's not even out yet? and the credits are the full amounts not the reduced amounts. This letter is from John Risacher, Acting Industry Director, Heavy Manufacturing and Transportation and it was sent to Mr. Ridley J. Politski, Corporate tax department at TMS USA Torrance Ca.
    Mackabee
    Sounds like a lot of misinformation.
    If it is true, what is the new expiration date and where is the public announcement of extension?
    Where is this on the IRS web site? It is not up to Toyota to decide whether there is a tax credit or not.

It really doesn't sound like something that Toyota would want to hide and keep in secret internal memos.

Everything points to the last day you can purchase and still qualify being September 30, 2007.

It is over now.
    Check with Dana. I'm positive on this. The IRS will not allow any buyer to take the credit ( $787.50 Prius and $650 TCH, HH ) if the vehicle was delivered on 10-1-07 or later.

You can check the IRS website as well. This is the current link as of today: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=157557,00.html
    I never said it was up to Toyota to decide whether there is a tax credit or not. The letter I have is from the IRS not Toyota and it lists the 2008 Toyota/Lexus hybrids that will be added to the 2008 model year tax credit list. The IRS has not posted an update yet. Are you buying a hybrid jaxs?
    Mack
    I'm not talking about the 2007 model year hybrids. That program was over and done with on the 30th of September. See my post to jaxs.
    Mack
    Here's a pic of the new Vibe. A hint of what's to come for the Matrix?
    Just our Scion xB in the JDM market with a Corolla name. It's actually better looking than our version IMHO.
    Mack
    To my eyes that doesn't look a lot different than the old Vibe--maybe a little silicone injected here and there in the fenders, but not a lot different. Maybe that's the intention.
    Looks like a computer rendering rather than a photo of an actual car. I wonder how accurate it is.
    A hint of what's to come for the Matrix?

Why is this a hint of what's to come. What does the Pontiac Vibe have to do with the Toyota Matrix? :confuse:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, it's a rebadged Matrix, but what does either of them - or the Scion - have to do with the future Corolla?

Mack, someone's gonna change the rules on the picture posting any minute now just to cross you up. :shades:
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Nah, Toyota and GM have gone their separate ways on Matrix/Vibe. And it is clear from the pics that GM is making no updates to the Vibe beyond just enough window-dressing to get people thinking it is a new model.

They do say they are bringing back the GT though - I bet this time it has their 260 hp 4-cylinder turbo - THAT will be fun.

I bet next time around Matrix shares very little with the '09 Corolla.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Well, it's a rebadged Matrix, but what does either of them - or the Scion - have to do with the future Corolla

My fault. I ran across this link to Toyota Corolla-Rumion and thought it might be another model for the redesigned Corolla, and Mack explained what it was, and Isn't the Matrix basically a Corolla station wagon. :shades:
    They share drive trains, otherwise the interiors are totally different. I'm starting to think the Matrix will look like the Corolla Auris if not the Blade. Can't wait!
    Mackabee
    Mack,

I saw a car about two weeks ago that looked suspiciously like the Corolla Auris unfortunately it was night, so I didnt get a good look at it. If the Auris comes over as the new Matrix I'll be taking a look. I'd like a car about the Corolla size with a trunk big enough to hold my bicycle. Is the Blade supposedly high performance. (Sorry if thats a silly question) I just finished teaching high schoolers I'm a little tired.
    I'd have bought a corolla XRS if I could have gotten it with shiftable automatic. (I cant drive a stick for medical reasons).
    Believe me, you wouldn't have wanted that engine attached to that 4-speed automatic they had for the first year or two in the Celica GT-S (with the same engine). I drove it with the automatic in both the Celica and the Matrix and that thing was DOGGY, DOGGY, DOGGY.

Now I suspect the new XRS, or whatever the top sport trim will be called, will have a more torquey, larger-displacement engine in it than the regular Corollas, so an automatic may match its powerband better (as long as Toyota doesn't just parts-bin the whole thing like they did with the last XRS). And as much as Toyota looooooves automatics these days, I bet they won't take the Honda SI route of stick-only.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• c2cpc2cp Member Posts: 11
    the matrix is made off the corolla platform. when the matrix fist came out it was called the corolla matrix. The vibe is the matrix same platform and same internals and engine just different cosmedics. Without the corolla there is no matrix and with out the matrix there is no vibe. this is toyota and gm joint automobile that replaced the sharing of the corolla and the prizm.Just a note the new corolla and matrix will be presented on halloween night in las vegas
    t the sema show. latest word is that gm will keep the pontiac vibe and will also be redesigned.
    Welcome to the party. You're a little late arriving but we'd like you to stay.
    Many sites report that the Corolla will just borrow the Camry's ancient 2.4L as the top engine. :P

DrFill
    Geez, I would hope Toyota could come up with something a bit smaller, more economical, and with more zing than the silly Camry 2.4

Well, that's one of the reasons Toyota is so profitable, right? Don't give 'em the good, new stuff if they'll buy the old stuff. Still, even that ancient 2.4L engine would give the Corolla a big boost in power.
    I think it's posters hypothesizing. Those that work at Cambridge and Nummi seem to be indicating something else. I'll make a 'mind bet' here at this time that in addition to the 1.8L dual VVTi that will be in the Base and LE trims that the 'upper' engine is the 2.0L Valvematic.

BTW if you want to feel/hear what the new 1.8L dual VVTi will be like take a new xD for a test. That'll be the standard Corolla/Matrix engine.

The S-model and the renewed XRS will have something different.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    2.4l is way too big for the Corolla. 1.8l will be more than enough.
    If we do get the 09's with leather and nav and priced right it's going to cannibalize lots of Camry and Scion tc sales. IMHO. :)
    Mackabee
    Mack, I think it will be WAY above the tC pricing with these features and it will be right in the wheelhouse of the Camry tho.

But the good side of this is that if someone is not interested in a $22,900 MSRP on an LE Camry.. there's always the option of the loaded up Corolla with leather, Navi, BT, VSC for say $22500. Tha't an attractive option.
  • raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    I'll make a 'mind bet' here at this time that in addition to the 1.8L dual VVTi that will be in the Base and LE trims that the 'upper' engine is the 2.0L Valvematic.

I agree, too. The new 2.0-liter Valvematic engine--probably rated around 145-150 bhp in the USA version--will be a natural engine for the 2009 Corolla. The 2.4-liter I-4 used on the Camry, Scion tC and Scion xB is too big an engine for the Corolla, in my humble opinion.
    ...from Donlen Corp.

Discovered on another site these nuggets of interest from Donlen Corp, ( subject to change however )
    Arrival dates for 2009 models in 2008:
    New Corolla 2-16 to 3-31... knew that
    New Matrix 2-16 to 3-31... knew that
    New Sienna 7-16 to 8-31... interesting
    Revised Camry 2-16 to 3-31... this is very weird

New Prius ( !! ) 9-16 to 10-31... this is right on it's 5th anniversary
    That's a load! We all know Prius has some time before it's redesign, same with Sienna.

That would be 2 years from the Camry introduction, so that is feasible, but not likely. I think the Camry will get onto a 6 year schedule, as this redesign has proven very successful. :D

Automotive News has a good handle on the redesign schedule.

DrFill
    Yep on the Camry but that would make the 08 a 6 month model. Huh? 18 months on the 07 and 6 months on the 08? That's what's wierd to me.

The Sienna is due since this model was new in May 03.

The Prius is unchanged since it's debut in Oct 03 so it's due in Oct 08.
    Camry is having, I'd wait until Spring of '09 to give it a facelift.

I don't know what Toyota's plan is with Sienna, as it is still one of the best vans, with clearly the best powertrain. It doesn't need much work either.

The van market is shrinking, and incentives are rising to compensate. I'd leave it alone.

Same with the Prius, with it's best year ever, I'd push back any changes, as they did with Corolla.

If they can wait for the Ion battery to come out, I'd wait. It's not like there is much competition for it. :blush:

When you think about it, Toyota doesn't have much housecleaning to do, right?

DrFill
    Nothing unusual with the exception of Revised Camry. We usually get the revisions on the 4th year of a new gen. I would wait and see on that one.
    :)
    Mack
    Doc, that's why you and I are posting and not running Toyota. ;)
    Mackabee
  • irismgirismg Member Posts: 345
    They're selling this somewhere in the world (this looks like western Europe):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiSGtIe5lUk&mode=related&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIM_s-nojP4&mode=related&search=

Isn't that the sweetest dash? It's got a pushbutton starter, even though this guy uses his key. It looks like a baby Camry with that beveled back end.

I like it! I hope it's the one we get! Now, about those interior colors...

Here's one of about three minutes of the new gauges. Everyone's doing orange lighting these days, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7tomNJszHI&mode=related&search=