Lexus LS 460/LS 460L Styling Impressions

Comments

• kenshin10kenshin10 Member Posts: 15
    Why bother posting a picture claiming to be the next LS when in fact it's hideous & clearly a fake!
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Same front grill, same front hood, same interior, same sidebody until you get to the rear of the car and no hint of the LFS design whatsoever all adds up to one terrible and unimaginative photochop.
  • nexuslexusnexuslexus Member Posts: 147
    Not only that.. but just look at the difference in the lighting between the windshield and the side windows (on the interior). Why waste the time to place the LS with this background and that logo at top (which, by the way, if it is the correct logo, is copy write infringement), when it is, as you say, so unimaginative and poorly done.

I have to say, I am quite surprised with Lexus's ability to keep such a tight lid on such a hotly anticipated car. When you spring up the announcement (I believe that the GS was kind of a surprise announcement, or was it expected), you can keep it secret, but this car is probably, at least in my book ,the most highly anticipated car. Lets hope to see it in tokyo... and of course in Detroit in January (and maybe even on sale soon after?)
    LS sales always meet or exceed expectations for Lexus. GS and IS were weak. Hence secrecy is super high on the new LS whereas the IS and GS were leaked early by Lexus. I'm also convinced that had the S-class debuted in the US now rather than in March 2006 you'd have seen the next LS already.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    Well we are in agreement the goldplater picture is not it...As I watched it unfold slowly, I thought that looks just about like mine...Same poor headrest Tony
    Tony - just curious - if that agressive sketch of the car turns out to be it - we'll you wait for it to come out in Sept. 06. That will be a red hot car.
  • tirnszwtirnszw Member Posts: 2

The article in the picture talks about LS600h. A Japanese newspaper has confirmed that the flagship model is expected to cost around $100K. The redesigned model will be out next summer, 2007. Until then current LS is sold as Toyota Celsior in Japan.
    Picture posted a little while ago... next summer will, by the way, be 2006... so did you mean as a 2007 model year?

Also, about the 50k GBP... I thought at first that that must imply a high US price (50k GBP is around $90,000), but I actually found out that it is less than the price that the cars are currrently selling for in the UK.. perhaps they meant the US price (and then translated into GBP)?
  • tirnszwtirnszw Member Posts: 2
    It will likely be released as a 2007 model year in Japan.

My bad, I meant to state in Japanese Yen. Here I make a correction to my previous post that it will cost around 10,000,000 Yen ($87,527.39 where $1 = Y114.26 today) in Japan. 100K was a rough guess but, 88K sounds more reasonable.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    that picture (the first one) is an obvious photochop.

The rear end looks like its from a 1997 Q45. (which I saw driving by this morning)
    I sure hope the Lexus is an out right winner, but no I am going to get an audi this year....I have already had the last Lexus four years , and it is my turn for a new car NOW...Unfortunately I have to wait for three month starting in September...I almost got the bmw , but the deal turned sour at the last minute----sometimes things aren`t meant to be---I really like the thought of the audi (new dealership) but I have always been treated great by lexus....and I am sure you can understand not wanting to wait another year for the new model.....One thing I really cn`t understand is how they want to charge forty thousand dollars for the twelve cylander engine....That really seems to be mis priced, along with all the other brands wanting an equil amount more....No matter what the Lexus will be a hot car when it comes.....I sure wish I had had a chance to see what it will look like , as we all wish Tony
    Has there been any confirmed or official announcement that the 2007 LS will be unveiled on this year's Tokyo Auto Show?
  • mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    I don't know for a fact. However, Tokyo seems like the place to be for a Japanese luxury nameplate to introduce their flagship for the 2007 MY. We'll all find out on the 22nd of October though.

:D
  • sysweisyswei Member Posts: 1,804
    Thanks for that find. I think that's the first official mention of a V10 for the sports car.
  • bluesman3bluesman3 Member Posts: 202
    That's only the press release for a "Flagship Sedan Concept Car", it's not the official LS debut.

Look for the new LS to debut in Detroit, Chicago or New York.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    That's only the press release for a "Flagship Sedan Concept Car", it's not the official LS debut.

To the contrary, this press release actually shows that the new LS sedan will be on display at the Oct 22nd Tokyo Motor Show in addition to the GS450h and LF-A. That is as stated clearly in the PR. This is very exciting.... Finally, a look at the 2007 LS.... only a week to its debut...
    I guess we now have an idea or what the headlights and overall front corners of the car will look like.
    "To the contrary, this press release actually shows that the new LS sedan will be on display at the Oct 22nd Tokyo Motor Show in addition to the GS450h and LF-A. That is as stated clearly in the PR. This is very exciting.... Finally, a look at the 2007 LS.... only a week to its debut... "

No, read it again....The Lexus press release says nothing at all about the new LS.......Not a thing. Until they say LS it's not an LS, sorry.

Here's the new LS spy shot if you want a look, and no, it's not a chop.

http://img433.imageshack.us/img433/5478/lexusls8ub7zf.jpg
    Well it depends on whether the flagship car is the existing LS or the rumored model above the LS that they may come out with. I agree with OAC - that this is most likely the new LS. The potential 150K+ car that has been rumored will be a low volume car that may or may not use the new LS sheetmetal. If it is unique - say like a Maybach as opposed to an S600 - then it really isn't a flagship car at all. Instead it's a supercar that is just a part of the Lexus line. If it's a V12 S600 fighter than it will have the new LS style anyway. Flagship always means the highest level car of your mass produced (AKA volume) cars - IMO. The S600 isn't a large run car but remembe it's a bigger engined S500 and only the nameplate allows you to telll them apart visually.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    "That's only the press release for a "Flagship Sedan Concept Car", it's not the official LS debut. Look for the new LS to debut in Detroit, Chicago or New York."

bluesman3 - They may call it a concept car, but my guess is it will be the new LS. Lexus has done this in the past as the original RX and the 2nd generation GS were shown at auto shows as "concept cars" when in fact they were the actual things. So, I say it will be in Tokyo labeled a concept car but will then reappear in Detroit or Chicago as the new LS.
    I don't believe that photo is real. Why? First of all, it is from the Hollywood Extra website. That site is pure garbage and nothing I can ever recall shown on their site as a spy photo has turned out to be real. Second, if you look on that website and scroll down you'll see a nearly identical spy picture of the new ES. It seems it is the same photo just modified a bit. And photos can be modified so well that they seem real when they are in fact not real. I'm not buying.
    "my guess is it will be the new LS"

Well that's the problem, you're making a guess. Perhaps it's close to the new LS, perhaps it's way off, maybe it's something bigger than the LS. We simply don't know.

Remember the Cadillac Sixteen Concept? Did that ever make it to the showroom floor? No, it was a concept...

What about the LF cars? Nope, they're all concepts too.....

Lexus would be screaming from the rafters if this were the LS debut...but they're not.

You cannot assume it's something more than what they've stated.
    "I don't believe that photo is real. Why? First of all, it is from the Hollywood Extra website. That site is pure garbage and nothing I can ever recall shown on their site as a spy photo has turned out to be real. Second, if you look on that website and scroll down you'll see a nearly identical spy picture of the new ES. It seems it is the same photo just modified a bit. And photos can be modified so well that they seem real when they are in fact not real. I'm not buying. "

Hey while you're speculating on the validity of that LS spy shot, here's a close up of the new glass roof on the ES..

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/5761/lexusesroofopen3na.jpg
    You're right, I'm making a guess. When I see this "concept car" I'll know by the details whether or not it's the real thing.

The Cadillac Sixteen was clearly a concept, and besides Cadillac has never shown a production car in advance as a concept that I can remember.

And the LF cars were also clearly concepts. Some had no outside rearview mirrors, outlandish dashboards, etc.

But just because Lexus is not screaming (and who knows, come next week they may) means nothing. As I said, Lexus quitely had the all-new RX at the auto shows (in 1996 or 1997?) labeled as a concept car but everyone knew it was the real thing because it looked like a real car. Same with the 2nd gen GS. A better example is when the SC 430 appeared at the Tokyo Motor Show labeled a concept car before its launch. All the magazines wrote this was a near-final car as evidenced by the details despite what Lexus said. And they were right.

Again, when we see this flagship concept car we'll pretty much know whether this is a near-production car like the new LS or not. The details like the interior, etc. will give away whether it is a concept or not. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    I agree. Not to mention that the GS 450h is called the GS 450h Concept. We all know that this is going into production. 1 week left...
    Agreed...we have to see it first to know. Until then we're just engaged in hopeful conjecture.
    Well that's the problem, you're making a guess. Perhaps it's close to the new LS, perhaps it's way off, maybe it's something bigger than the LS. We simply don't know.
    Remember the Cadillac Sixteen Concept? Did that ever make it to the showroom floor? No, it was a concept...
    What about the LF cars? Nope, they're all concepts too.....
    Lexus would be screaming from the rafters if this were the LS debut...but they're not.

You are absolutely WRONG here. The word *concept* is really Lexus' shpeak for new releases. All their concepts are actually pre-production test mules going around auto shows...The final production car is almost always the same as the so-called *concept*. A give-away: the GS450h was called a *concept*, when in fact it is slated for release next spring. Has been advertised in mags for the past 6 months as coming in April 2006. Does that tell you something about Lexus' *concept* cars ???

Len has correctly inferred, IMO, that the new LS remains the flagship car. Or are you going to deny that the LS is not the flagship ? So if Lexus unveils their flagship *concept* what else could it be ??? The LS will re-define Lexus' new direction, and it will remain its flagship. All others above it will be low-volume supercars, like the V10 code-named LF-A, which actually will be the GT model in production gab.
    I'll stick to my guns until I see the car or they tell us it's the LS. No denying that the LS is the flagship, just can't confirm that what they show in Tokyo is the LS...

"the GS450h was called a *concept*, when in fact it is slated for release next spring."
    Yes but they labeled it as a GS, not "luxury sport sedan hybrid concept".
  • lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    not "luxury sport sedan hybrid concept".

Why would they call it that? There's nothing new about any of the sheet metal.

I think that if this "concept car" isnt the real thing, it will be very close. The '06 GS back in New York was a "concept" as well. I think the reason why they arent calling it LS460 concept, is they dont want to necessarily say what engine is in it yet. The 4.6 engine has not been announced yet.
    Guys, this flagship sedan concept is the LS. Why would tons of legit sources like car mags and sites claimed it to be. Why debut it so early @ Tokyo? Obviously, persuasion for the Japanese consumers. One way of saying "Are you sure you still don't find our brand prestigious after what you've seen today?"(comparing to MB/BMW of course).

Bluesman -What about the LF cars? Nope, they're all concepts too.....
    The LF concepts are never intended to be in production. Everybody knows that. They are simply just a representation of what their design approach would be. They wouldn't call it Flagship if they have no intention in building the concept. As what everybody else is saying, the concept will be the representation of the real thing. But then again, only time will tell.

BTW, hollywoodextra post legitimate spy pictures. The only thing i see similarities of the spy pics of ES and LS are the colours of the claddings. But the overall body and design are distinct. There is no way those pics are photochopped.
    "Lexus would be screaming from the rafters if this were the LS debut...but they're not"

I'd argue the exact opposite!! That Lexus would be screaming from the rafters if this was a new car entering above the LS. That would be a real news story and a marketing coup and not something to be subtle about. The LS story is not really big news. Everyone knows that 2007 is a new model year and everyone expects the car in a near-term auto show. Tokyo makes the best business sense for it to be introduced because Lexus is finally debuting in Japan. Toyota would be incredibly foolish to pass that show up and that is all the more emphasized by the fact that next years Tokyo show is a commercial show. My guess is they will show a super LS that may be a 12cyl with sportclad extras but the hardcore body design is the next LS. Moreover, waiting for another show gives added chances that someone will uncover the real car and show it before Lexus does and that's a NO-NO in Lexus land..

Lexusguy - good point re the engines. They may be making a late decision on the cars name. Without question an LS500 name will carry a lot more weight than an LS460. I think we will find out this next gen car is indeed an LS500. Maybe they would have said that already but are hesitating because of the oil spike. But another possibility is that this is the hybrid version that will be at the show as opposed to the gas version. Remember that car will have all the bells and whistles. As well this new design may have that interactive Bosch suspension and Lexus may have made a deal here for joint announcements D'oesn't matter to us as it's the sheetmetal design we're looking for.
    Without question an LS500 name will carry a lot more weight than an LS460. I think we will find out this next gen car is indeed an LS500.

To embellish this point, notice that many sketches about the next LS have focused more on the LS600h than any other engine variant. That may be the version Lexus unveils in Tokyo, afterall it will be in keeping with the current climate of fuel efficiency automobiles. The GS450h, LS600h and a V10 fuel-efficient supercar, would make for a nice story at the auto show. That would be my guess.
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    In an article entitled "High-end Hybrids..." Autoweek mag. dated Oct 17, 2005 shows a Lexus LS 600h & an LS 460 mule--look at the picture--it appears to be the next gen LS. (page 6)
    When does it hit newstands? Can you scan a picture?
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    If this is the picture you are talking about, this is actually an illustration.image
    That may be an illustration... but its a gorgeous car.
    That's simply the new IS....
    Which is a beautiful car. But that just looks like a stretched IS to me.
    Since the link will prob. be deleted by the moderator, I will post just the picture.

Nothing much to see though, to much disguise.

• sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    I can't scan the picture--correction--it is an illustration--the one shown in dc661's post. I don't know when the mag hits the newstands. My subscription arrived today.
    That's the one from a few days ago. The new one is closer to the top of the page.
    Right.. whoops. Here is the corrrect picture.

Looks pretty good to me.
    I'm a bit curious about the guy who does the blog. He says he's a Hollywood extra...as opposed to someone with an auto industry background...and he's managing to come up with all sorts of pics or photoshops that I think we haven't seen anywhere before. Even if they are all photochops, I doubt they would all be by him. I wonder how he is finding these things.
    Also... look at the pictures of him. I think those must be photoshops.. because no one could be that incredibly hideous looking.. so maybe his real job is in photoshopping?
    I think that is a pretty attactive car, although the tires-wheels would be a bit large for a regular Lexus....The more I look at it he better it looks Tony pleasing
  • kiyonagakiyonaga Member Posts: 9
    Hi
    Since this was my first posting at Edmunds, please correct me if I ever violate any of the rules enforce by the webmaster. This would be greatly appreciated!
    To begin with, one of the reasons why I select this particular topic to post my first message was simply the number of interesting issues raised, by different members, on the future LS model. For example, some of you might wonder on whether the information provided by two of our countryman months ago can be trusted?? Believe me, I was also quite surprised that a Japanese individual can exhibit such behavioral characteristics since we typically like to distance ourselves against foreigners. Nevertheless I am not going to comment on the validity of their sources provided in the forum, since I am not sure if the webmaster would ever likely to approve it. However, if you wish to know whether these sources were valid, I am more than honor to send the necessary information to a couple of automotive insiders in Japan and they would take a look to see whether the information they provided were trustworthy sources.
    On the other hand, I have observe a number of photographs in the forum, which proclaim to be the exterior of the future LS model and I saw there already some arguments as to which of these photos were genuine. However, l do suggest that we should settle down for this issue for now and wait until the actual sedan unveils in the auto show. I just simply can’t imagine that my former employer have ever open any doors and allow people to take photographs on the LS exterior and posted on the magazines, internet and so forth. Remember the LS was develop under high secrecy and I assure their employees are doing their best of their abilities to prevent any details related on the LS would ever release to the public until an appropriate time comes. I can tell you that I was once have solemnly swear an oath to my superiors back in the late 80’s to prevent any information on the entire Lexus project (the LS, ES, GS and SC) from reaching to the public hands at all cost and I would have to resign immediately shall I fail to met such promise. So you can imagine that if a Toyota employee have given a photo on the LS to a magazine or posted on the internet, they should expect to be remove from the company once they find out the source of the leak and I even heard that in some cases where they even pursuit court action in Japan and lay charges on these people whom have violated the oath.
    So you can see just how serious Toyota would react if they find out any of their employees in headquarters have violated the oath and I can imagine they would stand extremely tough in dealing with this issue since there are instances in the past where people are leaking information on vehicles that is under secretive research. However I do understand that there are some instances the pre-production vehicle was being shot at during road tests, but many of them are pretty much production-ready vehicles that you can expect to see them about half a year or so.
    So I do believe Toyota have done an really excellent job in terms of hiding their secrets pretty well and they would continue maintain such tradition no matter what it cost to accomplish..
    Finally to conclude my message, I would be expect to be head out to the Tokyo Auto Show very soon since the organizer of the event have invited the board members in our company and a number of major corporations in Japan to attend a private screening session a couple days before the show would open to the public audience. I wasn’t sure if the media would also have their own pre-screening session earlier than we do, but I would do my best to share my findings in the auto show to all of you, regardless if the media have report their findings earlier than I do.
    See you all soon :)

T. Kiyonaga
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    They do it well. About the only company that does a better job is possibly Honda. All we had on the 2005 Odyssey even a month before it came out was a person who called himself an insider and fed us information.

His information was 100% accurate though.