2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Engine Hesitation (All makes/models)

Comments

• Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    if that dealer will tell us what he does to solve the problem.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    err. yeah - ask your friend to contact the El Cajon dealer and find out what they'll do for $90...

a re-flash should be free of charge, but even so - there's some question as to it's long-term efficacy.

there's no part or fuel/oil additive that i know of that can be replaced or added for $90 that's going to solve the problem.

it just doesn't add up.
  • Options
    pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    My PC activity has been nil for 2 weeks, totally off line because of a failed hard drive, a new computer, and I'm just getting caught up on all the skinny here and elsewhere.
    I note Bkinblk's offer to visit Minneapolis and test his car.
    In the past few months I've flown my a/c into your city several times, and may have occasion to do so again in the near future.
    If I do, any chance of taking you up up on your offer, Bkinblk?
    If it turns out the erratic performance you report is obvious, I promise I will document it for all to witness in this forum, and publically admit the error of my
    ways.

PS for Mr. Shiftright.
    I believe you have the new e-mail address now--let me know if not received.
    And FYI, my promise to you has not changed.
  • Options
    scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    My PC activity has been nil for 2 weeks, totally off line because of a failed hard drive, a new computer, and I'm just getting caught up on all the skinny here and elsewhere.
    I note Bkinblk's offer to visit Minneapolis and test his car.
    In the past few months I've flown my a/c into your city several times, and may have occasion to do so again in the near future.
    If I do, any chance of taking you up up on your offer, Bkinblk?
    If it turns out the erratic performance you report is obvious, I promise I will document it for all to witness in this forum, and publically admit the error of my
    ways.

PS for Mr. Shiftright.
    I believe you have the new e-mail address now--let me know if not received.
    And FYI, my promise to you has not changed.

Wondered where you have been. Kind of confusing getting caught up on everything, I know, but it is 05camry33se who lives in Minneapolis, not bkinblk, and who offered the test drive.

Also, Mr. Shiftright asked tinman2 for his e-mail, not you.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yeah I think I asked for his, too, but a long time ago. It's all straightened out.

Thanks for the flattery but I don't think my participation would have any weight whatsoever with Toyota; however, I'm certainly open to doing some detective work so that I can operate more knowledably about the problem. I guess you don't have to have a toothache to be a dentist but.....Mostly I'm wondering if I myself would find it annoying...maybe in addition to driving one of these "loafers" I could also pretend I'm writing the monthly payment check--that might change my attitude somewhat. :P
  • Options
    legarlegar Member Posts: 71
    Do you have any actual proof of these problems, some sort of official study that tested these problems?
    According to JD Power, Lexus models get the highest customer satisfaction ratings.
    I personally never had any problems with any Toyota/Lexus products.
  • Options
    Does anyone have the sequential shift system and is experiencing the hesitation symptom?

If so can you try an experiment for us?

Do a couple of downshift "nudges" of the sequential shifter when you know you might, may, encounter an acceleration recovery problem, hesitation, from an inadvertent upshift during coastdown.

I can't do that myself because the only downshift I can command is all the way down to 2nd.
  • Options
    Toyota has issued TSBs for all of the vehicles affected by it.
    There have been several news articles addressing the subject.
    There are numerous personal reports here, on the NHTSA website and other internet discussion boards (the Lexus transmission problems forum has been around several years longer than this one).
    NHTSA announced that they were looking into it.

Don't know if that is good enough for you. :)
  • Options
    billranbillran Member Posts: 113
    legar,
    I understand your question. Unfortunately this discussion has taken on a life of its own and some people post here sometimes several times a day. There is no doubt in my mind that posting how unhappy they are with their cars has become sort of a hobby, if not obsession for a few. My question is "if every time you get behind the wheel of your car you feel as though the hesitation may cause you to end up in deadly crash, then why not pursue every avenue of resolution". If someone truly does have hesitation in excess of one second, as a few claim, then that car would indeed be out of specification and an arbitrator would rule in your favor. Yet many have not even had the TSB, which adresses the problem For Those Who Have it, applied. So draw your own conclusions. I have no problems with mine either legar, but just saying those words is enough to ignite a fire storm.
  • Options
    I don't think the people having the problem have ever said they thought EVERYONE had the problem. What they seem to be saying is "well fine YOU don't have the problem, maybe 95% of all Lexus owners don't have the problem, but that doesn't mean I don't have the problem!"
  • Options
    pilot130pilot130 Member Posts: 319
    Yeah, Shifty asked a long time ago about a previous change, but it has changed again with this new computer and new ISP. I just wanted to make sure he had the latest one (and last one for a while--I hope!). We recently got DSL in our area, so we made the address switch just before getting the new Dell. The old PC must not have been able to handle the high speed and it died!
    Also, apologies about the mixup on Minneapolis identities-I went thru the last 50 or so posts in a big hurry--getting caught up gets one confused.
    If and when I fly there in the coming months, I would be willing to test drive the vehicle owned by "whoever lives there"--assuming he/she is OK with doing that.
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I don't think the people having the problem have ever said they thought EVERYONE had the problem.

I thought that early on, someone here indicated that they could drive anyone's car (Toyota/Lexus v6 5spd automatic) and experience the hesitation, but I can't seem to find that post right now.

Jeff
    Edit: I found this from post 144 wbay wrote: "I've driven several new HL's off the lot and can reproduce the hes at virtually anytime. Must be my driving style"
  • Options
    while i don't believe anyone with the problem has stated every car has the problem (although a few might have speculated that some may have it to more or lesser extent), what manufacturer reps have stated during arbitration was that all their vehicles have the behavior designed in to protect the vehicle, and what many people report is that the dealer reps are saying "they all do it".

since we have people reporting they have no perceptual hesitation, we know both assertions by the manufacturer and dealer representatives are suspect, and what some people speculate may still be true (there may be a latent issue or one that develops over time).

on these points most of us "regulars" can agree.
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    since we have people reporting they have no perceptual hesitation

777, I am one of those people. I have been reading this forum since before i bought my 05 highlander, (over 6 months and 8,000 miles ago) and continue to read it daily. I keep expecting to experience the hesitation, and every week that goes by, every month that goes by, every post that i read, has me more and more confused. Toyota says it is a designed in (ahem) "feature"...Maybe i'm dense, or ignorant, or just insensitive (might have heard that from my wife, on occasion) ;-) anyway, I guess ignorance IS bliss, cause i Love my Highlander. (maybe that's what my wife means?????)

Anyway, I hope there is a cure for this, as I know how agravating it can be to be unhappy with a car, and to feel it is unsafe is just torture!
  • Options
    05camry33se05camry33se Member Posts: 67
    I'm the one in Minneapolis Pilot. You are welcome to take it for a test drive, but I can't guarantee you'll notice appreciable hesitation/lurch. Then again, you might encounter more than I ever have, who knows.

As you may have read in my recent post from the other night, I was unable to induce the problem over about 15 minutes of driving. Then this morning I noticed it again pulling into the entrance to my parking ramp. Not as bad as it has been, but noticeable.

Overall it happens a lot less now than it did up to even a month ago. Why, I have no clue. Maybe I've just modified my driving habits to accommodate it.

Anyway, if you want to take it for a spin, let me know. I'll even pay for the gas just to get your opinion on this. Meantime, I'll keep looking for a repeatable way of getting the hesitation to occur. It seems the most likely time I've found it to occur is while maneuvering around in tight spots like parking lots, and situations where you need to apply gas, slow down, and then accelerate again, such as in stop and go traffic.

Chris
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Driving a certain way can induce hesitation in just about every car. Trust me it isn't just Toyota and Lexus. Fortunately, most of us and I guess that includes you don't drive like that on a day to day basis. If you are happy with your Highlander than dont drive like a maniac just to make your HL hesitate. That is a lot more dangerous than the so called transmission problem. If you are trying to speed up from 15 mph to 60 very abruptly you are going to notice just a momentary delay before the transmission downshifts. But this forum for whatever reason specifically seems to be devoted to Toyota/Lexus cars. This particular transmission has been out for 4 years now and not a single accident has been reported due to this "faulty" transmission. In fact, this transmission will soon be replaced by a six speed automatic beginning next Spring. Doesnt look like the "bad transmission" is hurting Lexus/Toyota in anyway. Just don't believe everything you read in internet forums.
  • Options
    "not a single accident has been reported due to this "faulty" transmission"

Did you review every accident report that has been made for every vehicle that is alleged to be affected for the last 4 years to see if anyone reported a problem with hesitation or lurching?

"Faulty transmission" would not be a sufficient term to encompass the problem. It has been described in a number of terms including delay in acceleration, engine hesitation, transmission hesitation, searching for the appropriate gear, lurching, etc.

Therefore at this time I do not find your conclusion that this problem has resulted in no accidents during the past 4 years convincing. Please post the data that supports your conclusion.
  • Options
    I dont find the statements these drivetrains have hesitation sufficient be a severe safety issue or comparing the cars to coffins convincing. Especially if those making the claims are not concerned enough to take every action available to ensure their safety, and maybe even save the lives of themselves and their loved ones. Which would be the case, if it is really as bad as they say. Sorry, but it just does not add up.
  • Options
    I believe you and some others people have alleged that the transmission is defective and dangerous so why would it be up to me to prove that the transmission is safe. The proof is that not a singled documented accident has yet to be attributed to the transmisson problem. If you know of any case by all means do post it. I have yet to see any documented case where the transmission problem has actually caused an accident.
  • Options
    I happen to have rented one of the first Cadillacs equipped with the Northstar engine, high HP and torque and FWD. Traveling south in Mississippi on a two lane highway I came up on a farm tractor towing a trailer load of cotton. As soon as an opening developed I tromped on it, went WOT, simultaneously with beginning to stear into the left lane.

OH S........

What was THAT?

I suddenly found myself clear over in the barrow pit on the left side of the road.

Obviously I got off the gas pedal, rather quickly and back into my own lane.

My first experience with torque stear and it happens to be EXTREME.

Had there been an obstruction to the left of the on-coming lane I might not be here today. Even had I hit something serious what would the trooper have written up as the accident cause?

"Driver lost control."
  • Options
    blueinpuyallupblueinpuyallup Member Posts: 4
    I am reassured to see that other folks are having the same problem with hesitation in their engines. I've taken my 2004 Camry V6 to my Toyota dealer four times. Each time I get the same response, "Cannot duplicate the problem." And they pat me on the shoulder and show me out the door. Making me feel that I'm just making it up. I have had two other drivers in my household drive the car and experience the same problem, as well as passengers wondering what was going on. I am taking action - I do believe it's a SAFETY PROBLEM. When pulling out in front of traffic last week, my car hesitated, long enough for there not to be a brake in traffic anymore. When it finally kicked in, I was fortunate that there was a meridian I could pull into, so that I wouldn't get hit by oncoming traffic. I have a meeting with the "district representative of Toyota" to address this problem. I am also at the point of using the lemon law to get some progress. Just because you don't experience the problem, doesn't mean that others are making it up. I have been on many forums where people are having the same problem and getting stone walled by their Toyota dealers.
  • Options
    bkinblkbkinblk Member Posts: 198
    Disconnected the negative terminal last night for about 20 minutes. This morning took the car to work and noticed a marked difference in the shift pattern. LIttle or no hesitation and much less slipping, sliding and searching for gears. No suprise to those who have kept up on this forum. Drove about 30 miles.
  • Options
    Today I prepared the documentation from the two failed arbitrations to submit to the NHTSA.(they obviously conflicted, and both confirmed a one second hesitation). They gave me a special address to send additional information regarding my registered complaint. Interestingly, on the NHTSA site there were only 16 complaints for Toyota on this subject. I didn't check Lexus. For those of you out there looking to be proactive, start with registering a complaint with the NHSTA.
  • Options
    You are going to need to jump through some hoops. A first step is to get the Toyota dealership to perform the reflash TSB. You may need to find another dealer that isn't in denial that the problem exists. You have the Toyota rep telling bkinblk that there is a built in 1 sec delay in every one of their cars then you have your dealer that denies its existence -- "taking action" is going to be a frustrating process :mad: But if you proceed to arbitration, you are going to need to show that you have given Toyota the opportunity to fix it. bkinblk lost his arbitration on the basis that the Toyota rep alleged that every one of the vehicles has an intentional built in1 sec. hesitation, but we have quite a few people here saying that they don't have any hesitation at all. So I would try to go to arbitration somehow equipped to show that not everyone has the same problem and that yours is a lemon.
  • Options
    I don't think too many people know about NHTSA or think to report a complaint there 16 could be significant from their viewpoint. Was that for all Toyotas and all years? It would be interesting to compare the number of hesitation complaints for other makes that also have been reported to have a hesitation problem.
  • Options
    donaldozdonaldoz Member Posts: 1
    Hi people.
    I'm in Sydney and I have the 2004 Kluger/Highlander CVX. I should have known better - the transmission delay - because I read about the problem back in 2003 on this site for people with Lexus and the same 5 speed adaptive transmission. I just resort to slamming the shift back to second then count to 3 - Is that the problem you are on about?
    How about the sloppy handling? you cant fix the transmission problem but I did fix the handling. Whiteline in Minto Sydney manufacture front and rear anti sway bars especially for Highlander/Kluger that make the car handle nearly as well as a BMW X5 - add the caster/camber kit and change the nothing Toyota factory set 2 degrees caster to 3+ then fix the poor wheel alignment and zero everything and you can actually feel the road again through the steering wheel. I also hate the "slingshot"- I call it the "runnaway" effect when the car sets off down a slight slope and changes up. I found that by switching off the overdrive it limits that. Oh for a manual version!
    Also my car won't do better than 11 liters/100 Klm - 27mpg - on the Albury-Melbourne flat section of the Hume: no matter how I nurse it.
    I'm replacing the 225/70/16" wheel tyre match with 255/55/17 Lexus wheels. The only reason the Ford Territory handles so well is the low profile tyres.
  • Options
    Motown, you first stated "not a single accident has been reported due to this "faulty" transmission".

Now you're saying “I have yet to see any documented case where the transmission problem has actually caused an accident.”

I asked for the data you used to reach your first conclusion, and apparently your "data" is that you haven't personally seen it yourself. So your first conclusionary statement has been proven wrong.

I have to wonder what your motivations are to come here and cast aspersions against people here who are trying to work together to solve this problem.

“In fact, this transmission will soon be replaced by a six speed automatic beginning next Spring. Doesnt look like the "bad transmission" is hurting Lexus/Toyota in anyway. Just don't believe everything you read in internet forums.”

I think I'm starting to see the motivation....
  • Options
    When argument cannot be won resort to personal attacks. Nice. You are the accuser not me. If you want to prove something you must provide the evidence. Not me. And you are failing badly.
  • Options
    "you are failing badly"

at what?

I bought a new 05 camry 3.3 se in February. It would hesitate and then lurch forward and was hard to drive safely in stop and go traffic and parking lots at times.

Having already brought the car back in to the dealer once at about 3k miles for an oil change and having mentioned the aforesaid, and after getting it back from them with a Mobil oil change sticker on my windshield, and the oil cap dented, I didn't want to have them touch it again.

So, I spent God knows how many hours on the internet trying to find a solution on my own, and eventually found this thread. I've never done anything like this before to solve a problem for a car or anything else, and hope to never have to do again.

I'm not saying that my car is junk and I want to make the dealer buy it back after winning arbitration. I just want this problem solved if it is possible, and if not, I'll have to deal with it. But selling it after I just bought it, with the sales tax and new car depreciation, just isn't an option.

I used to smoke cigarettes but finally wised up and quit a few years ago. My cost to quit was zero, and I actually have saved a bundle. Getting rid of this car would be quite the opposite financially, and I didn't know about this risk when I bought it like I did when I picked up the smokes.

These are some of the reasons why I am motivated to try and find a solution to this problem. Thanks.

Chris
  • Options
    motownusa, perhaps you would concede that it would be highly unlikely that a vehicular accident would be classified by the police with a highly specific root-cause, and if that weren't unlikely enough, that it would be published such that it could be reseached and located as such by the average joe?

you've been a member for some time, what do you make of entries in the highlander P+S forum, the sienna P+S forum, the camry P+S forum, the avalon P+S forum, the lexus P+S forum... there are posters of different make/model vehicles from the (it just so happens) same manufacturer that have the hesitation. are we dealing with some mass delusionary psychosis, or is there something inherent in the implementation of DBW technology that in a percentage of vehicles, a problem exhibits itself in this manner?

if your highlander has a problem with a strong sulfer smell in the cabin, you conclude (1) exhaust gasses are entering the cabin and there may be some aspect of the vehicle design that is contributing, and (2) you probably have a problem with the vehicle running rich, and probably have a bad CAT convertor. research it - it happened to people, and toyota denied it was a problem...not everyone complained of the sulfur smell of course. question: were some of these people who weren't complaining, being exposed to exhaust gasses as they drove these vehicles? was it a safety or a perception / acceptance issue?
  • Options
    after getting it back from them with a Mobil oil change sticker on my windshield, and the oil cap dented, I didn't want to have them touch it again. So, I spent God knows how many hours on the internet trying to find a solution on my own

05camry33se, I hate to break the bad news but just reading this board and trying to make a case that your car has a severe safety issue is not going to solve your problem. Nor can you fix it yourself, so just how did your expect to resolve it without seeing a dealer again? You are going to have to let some dealer touch your car. An intelligent start would be to have the TSB applied. I know that the results have been reported as not always solving the problem, but I have read several people say it has. Then if that does not work proceed down the arbitration route, if it is truly really as bad as you say.

And before you say that arbitration takes too much time let me use that ridiculous analogy that some else posted; What takes longer, going to arbitration or eternity in that coffin? Absurd I know, but if you feel that your very life, and those of your loved ones are in jeopardy then wouldn't an intelligent move be to take the time to try and protect yourselves? In any case you are going to have to start out by reporting your problem to a dealer and letting him apply the TSB. Just coming here and griping and griping and griping will never solve your problem.

motownusa makes some very good points that any unbiased thoughtful person might make as well. Unfortunately, there are others here making amazing claims and assumptions about safety issues and coffins and running over children, who would do well to step back and look at this issue with an open mind and some reasonable perspective. You might just see how the exaggerated claims and unsupported assumptions actually discredit the whole issue to some extent.
  • Options
    For what its worth, after a couple of years of denial, Toyota finally fessed up that there was a catalytic converter problem contributing to the sulfur smell and issued a TSB. Sound familiar?
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,202
    Toyota wouldn't have done anything like that, would they? :grin

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Thank you for your insights billran, and for breaking the news even though you "hate" to do so. I understand that you believe that I have not made an "intelligent start" and that some statements made here are "ridiculous" and "absurd". I'm just curious how you know that "coming here and griping and griping and griping will never solve your problem".

How do you think the TSB came to be? I would suspect it was from customers with this defect "griping and griping and griping".

You have mastered the art of saying things without really coming out and overtly saying them quite well, as in your unstated implication when you say "any unbiased thoughtful person"...I guess that makes me a biased, unthoughtful person, eh? ;-)

"...look at this issue with an open mind and some reasonable perspective". Again, it appears to me that the clear implication is that all those here who believe this is a safety issue have closed minds and unreasonable perspectives. You might have a bright future as a political spin doctor. Good stuff.

I guess I might understand your position that "there are others here making amazing claims and assumptions...might see how the exaggerated claims and unsupported assumptions actually discredit the whole issue to some extent" a little better if I knew what your standing to even engage in this discussion was.

I just stated my motives for being here. I bought an affected vehicle and came here looking for a solution.

What exactly are your motives for being here? Thanks.

Chris
  • Options
    Chris, I'm glad you asked billran what his motives are. In reading his messages, I'm wondering the same thing. Is he a lawyer, a rep for Toyota? This forum is for people who are having problems and trying to find solutions or those with similar problems. Sounds like all he's doing is griping about people griping!! ;)

I posted message #1866 regarding the hesitation problem. The Toyota dealer in my area applied the TSB 00505. It changed the hesitation problem, but didn't resolve it. The hard transmission change that sounded like someone was hitting my car is not as evident, but I now have a delay after coming to a stop and accelerating.

I'm being pro-active about the problem. Seeing the postings on this forum has helped: I know that I'm not the only one having the problem and other forum users have given me tips on how to handle the problem. I will pursue the suggestion about filing a complaint at NHSTA, which is something I didn't know about until reading this forum. I will test to see if the delay is only "one second!" I know that the lemon law in Washington states that if the dealer made two attempts to "fix the problem," that I have a case. :lemon: I've complained and visited my dealer on at least four occasions!

Just one last gripe about this whole issue: I'm disgusted that I'm making payments on a $25,000 car and it has transmission shift problems.
  • Options
    "Visiting" the dealer isn't enough, you have to have them actually write up a work order and fill in the results.

Are you going to the fair? Wife and I plan to go on a weekday. Renton s-curve backup and SR167 are a bear on fair weekends.

Is there no out there with a sequential shift system with the problem?
  • Options
    Actually I think the trooper would be right in that case. That would be the driver's fault IMO. The driver is in charge of 300 horses, and if he decides to boot his boot into them, he has to bear the consequences. Or in other words, a bad car is not an excuse for a bad decision. Of course, there may be cases where a bad car IS a good excuse, like no brakes whatsoever or a snapped steering post.

This is why I advise people to soft pedal the "safety thing" with these transmission issues. You'll be torn to shreds in arbitration on that point and that's makes the more legitimate parts of your case look less so IMO.
  • Options
    Have four work orders in the file I'm creating! :)

Not sure about the fair, there are things I'd like to see, but days off don't coordinate with them.

Not sure about sequential shift system - you're a little over my head on that one!

From other complaints on different forums, I understand that the ECT-i (learning transmission) might be a componenet in the overall problem. Seems that most people complaining with similar problem have the V6 auto transmission. I have found that with the overdrive off, the problem is less noticeable. However, on my 2004 Camry XLE there isn't an off button for overdrive, so every time the car is started the overdrive has to be turned off manually.

I have to mention that up to this point I was always a fan of Toyota. I have a 1992 Toyota Camry that was the best! It never gave me any problems and its still running with over 168,000 miles on it.
  • Options
    only Camrys, didn't check the other models
  • Options
    Day 2 went the same. The car shifts much better with little or no hesitation. Make no mistake, the transmission is still a bit "busy", but overall, it's acceptable. I put on about 40 miles today of mixed driving.
  • Options
    Thanks for the daily updates bkinblk, and I just want to say right now how much I appreciate all that you've done and continue to do here.

Have you noticed any change in your mpg the last couple days?
  • Options
    does anyone own any tools (or even toys) with a built-in 1 second delay? why should a person's car (you could think of it as a really expensive tool or toy - but with much more riding on it's responsiveness to your commands) hesitate? why on earth would that be acceptable to anyone?

like i said, we should all look for volunteers to ride with somebody that has brain damage resulting in delayed synapses on the order of a one second...
  • Options
    I was attempting to make two points...

1. The base cause of the accident, torque stear, would not be "recorded".

2. The vehicle did something I was totally unexpecting....

Sorta like an "engine hesitation" that one doesn't know is upcoming.....
  • Options
    blue...you said:

"...applied the TSB 00505...I now have a delay after coming to a stop and accelerating."

Do you get a delay after coming to a full and complete stop? I haven't, just curious.

"I will test to see if the delay is only "one second!"

Good luck. When I wanted to make the delay happen the other night, I got maybe a half second delay max over 15 minutes of driving very slow trying to make it occur. Tonight, I was in a slow lineup of cars by downtown, going about 2-5 mph max, and when I would give it gas to speed up on several occasions, nothing.

I now know better than to keep pressing down harder on the accelerator though. I just first backed off it a bit and then eased it down again very gently. It took about 3 seconds to actually get anything happening each time, but I avoided the dreaded (and very obnoxious looking no doubt to other drivers) lurch.

I must say, it is very embarrassing to be driving what I consider to be a cool looking car and have it lurch in front of everybody...especially when kids walking on foot are in close proximity...really makes one look like an intentional (insert choice word that starts with "a") when no such intent existed. The unpredictability of this problem is a big part of its annoyance factor for me..
  • Options
    Yes, I get the delay after coming to a full stop or I get the lurching you mention. I totally agree with you about the embarrassing part and the unpredictability!

Something came to me today - not everyone complains about this problem, but you and I do and we're in the same area. I'm wondering if this is some kind of "batch" problem and our cars are in the same "batch." :surprise:

With the hesitation, I've learned to accomodate for it by giving myself a bigger gap in traffic, which is annoying to those behind me, and I let off the gas and re-accelerate.
  • Options
    Sunday, did not drive the car. Will report tomorrow. MPG seems to be about the same.
  • Options
    Why would Toyota (as a matter of record) state that a one-second hesitation is a deliberate and acceptable characteristic of this drivetrain? I keep thinking about what ecotrklvr said; is a one-second hesitation acceptable in steering response? Is a one second hesitation acceptable in braking response? Would you want your kids riding or driving a car with a one-second hesitation? Safety issue aside, for the owners who notice this characteristic: would you ever have bought this car if the hesitation was obvious in your short test drive, or if you had previously done more research or visited this site? Make no mistake. I am not a Toyota "basher". I had always thought Toyota provided the best quality and resale value for the buck. However, this is not a faulty windshield wiper here. A one-second hesitation de-values this automobile in safety and driver satisfaction. There is no value or benefit to the consumer in a one-second hesitation of any kind. In the SHORT term, there is value to the manufacturer and stockholders: cutting costs. That's how I see it.
  • Options
    jbuchananjbuchanan Member Posts: 27
    If you don't mind I would like give you a little in sight on this hesitation problem,And yes it is with both toyota and lexus.I recently worked on a lexus suv.for 3 weeks trying to get rid of this hesitation.After very therough(?) diagnoses of the complete fuel and ignition system I started 2nd guessing my self,I had hand tested all the computer imputs,(air mass meter,throttle,ect) I tested every component 3 or 4 times I almost gave up them. then late one friday A toyota van came in and I swaped the air mass meter same part number for lex.& tot,The Lexus ran like it had twice the horse power and lost all hesitation,So I save $150.00 bucks and bought the air mass meter from Toyota.I aksed the parts guy how many air mass meters they stocked and he said about 20-30 at all times,The part tested ok with no engine codes but the dealer dare not admit this is a big problem and dare tell the public. Customer had dealer look at vehicle 4 time and could not find any problem.

jbuchanan
  • Options
    jbuchananjbuchanan Member Posts: 27
    I have repaired many vehicles the differant dealers could not fix.Having work at 5 different dealers I have a huge insight on how they operate, Most dealers have 1or 2 techs that accually have training and knowledge to diagnose electrical problems.Most techs are more worried about making the almighty dollar then taking the time to identify and fix the problem.If the dealer can't fix your problem find an independant repair shop and explain the issues with your car and let them fix your car then bill your dealer for the cost! It take a little time but you already have fight going on.Now back to the hes.Drive car through all gears then back to a stop manually shift trans into 1st gear then take off normal and manually shift through all gears come back down to a complete stop shift into park turn off engine and let set for a few seconds, so computer can reset itself then pull shifter all the way into first gear and manually shift from 2nd to 3rd to 4th if hesitaiton is gone or changed most likley in trans if still there at same spot most likely in the engine management system.To me it sounds like you may have a throttle switch (TPS) out of adjustment this switch tell the computer how wide the throttle is open so the trans knows what gear to be in.
    This really should not be that difficult to diagnose.I've spent many hours on 1 car trying to figure out a problem car but I guess it's a matter of pride with me,good luck let me know how things go.

jbuchanan
  • Options
    What year, model and engine were these vehicles? And why do you think the tot meter worked better than the lex since the lex meter checked out okay?

Chris
This discussion has been closed.