Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2006 Toyota RAV4

Comments

• Options
    jimd4jimd4 Member Posts: 877
    Now that is a creative thought!
  • Options
    flyingnflyingn Member Posts: 213
    not everybody is interested in paying for free radio thats why:).. lol
  • Options
    pretzelbpretzelb Member Posts: 64
    FWIW, I finally got to test drive a RAV4 and compare it to the CRV and Forester. I have to say that I was impressed with the 4c on the RAV4. I've never owned a Toyota or Honda but is it me or does the RAV4 have more oommph? I thought the RAV4 also handled a bit better than the CRV but the difference wasn't enough to matter. Engine noise was bit louder on the RAV4 but not terrible. I did enjoy some of the nifty features on the RAV4 like the rear seat fold down lever that is located near the back and the mp3 jack in the console. As nice as the RAV4 was, I still think the Forester is clearly faster and handles far better, which isn't too suprising given the lower center of gravity.

I really wanted to make up my mind this month but I think I have to test drive a 6c before I decide. I also should probably try a Sport model to see if I notice a difference in handling.
  • Options
    ssoomanssooman Member Posts: 7
    which is better, a rav 4 or camry. i am looking to buy something new
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The same. It depends solely on you and how you will use it. Both have the same engines, build quality and reliability. Do you need/want a sedan or utility vehicle.

Take care of either one and it will last you up 200K+ miles or 10-15 yrs. I and my family have had 7 Toyotas. There never has been a significant problem with any of them.
  • Options
    should i get a camry or rav 4
  • Options
    which looks better? camry or rav 4
  • Options
    nedrivernedriver Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking to lease an '06 RAV 4 (4X4, Limited, Leather/Moonroof option, remote start & alarm - MSRP @ 29K, 36 mos with limited or no down payment). Any ideas what people are paying in the MA or RI area?
  • Options
    I bet Toyota tells you the payments are about $500 per month with nothing down! You can use the Edmunds list calulator to find out. My dealer told me the residual on the RAV4 for 36 mo. 12k miles per year is is .58 There are no deals on RAV4s that I know of
  • Options
    rsaltus1rsaltus1 Member Posts: 43
    I recently bought a 4X4 Limited in the Everglade metallic color; it is a wonderful, subtle very light green-gray-bluish blend; looks a little different in various lighting situations. No. 1, it's unusual - though I'm seeing other cars with a similar shade. No. 2, it's a great change from out previous black/silver cars; No. 3, it should be cooler in the summer. I recommend it.
    rs in boston
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the Toyota 4runner to be one of the best multiple wheel drive systems available on the market today.

A) It has a 2WD, rear drive only, mode.
    B) It has an AWD mode wherein an electrically controlled center "diff'L" is used to dynamically apportion torque between the front and the rear. For instance as lateral forces build at the front due to stearing inputs, etc, the engine torque is primarily apportioned to the rear.
    C) It also as a 4X4 mode wherein the center diff'l is locked.

In contrast the new RAV4 system, a virtual duplicate of the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner system, is based on a front wheel drive system and therefore can quickly become unsafe in the very conditions in which "marketing" says it should "shine".

Unless the engine/transaxle DBW, e-throttle, firmware is designed to rev the engine up to the "sweet-spot", the level cognizant with the current transaxle gear selection and the rate of rotation of the REAR wheels, to alleviate the potential for loss of directional control from engine compression braking in adverse roadbed conditions.
  • Options
    wow, never seen an 06 yet in that color! Can ya post a pic??

Frank
  • Options
    don't all fwd vehicles suffer from this? Ill take this over rwd anyday..
    I feel that fwd/awd is the very best there is out there for the average person in an everyday driver....

Take this from an engineer with about 35 years automotive experience.

Frank
  • Options
    clamclam Member Posts: 36
    What probably most people don't realize is that, from a functional point of view, the AWD on the outgoing RAV4 model was in fact vastly superior to the current, since some power was directed to both the front and back wheels at all times.

Current "slip detect" awd systems like on the CRV, 2006 Rav4 and others should really be called "too-late awd", because by the time is reacts for traction, slippage is already occurring. Its really only useful for getting unstuck from a stationary position.

Subaru's system and Audi's quattro are much better than the above, for the same reason that the old Rav4's system was better.
  • Options
    So what did you end up paying compared to the MSRP of ?
  • Options
    joecarnutjoecarnut Member Posts: 215
    Yes, please can you post a picture?

Thats one of the colors I'm interested in too.
  • Options
    ticoarticoar Member Posts: 12
    Hey rs.....if you can, post a pic because that is the color I would like to see but I can't find one anywhere. Thanks.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You have been TRUMPED.

I'm also an "engineer" but started out driving tractors in the cotton fields of AR in the early fifties. If you lose traction on the drive wheels of a RWD it's almost always correctable by simply lifting your foot from the gas pedal slightly and the front tires' contact patch is reserved, fully, for directional control.

That's why the early "beetles" were so fabulous, rear engine rear drive.
  • Options
    I guess that would depend on HOW much slippage occurs before the rear tires get power applied to them don't it?? If the front tire slip, say, 5 degrees before the rears kick in its basically full time awd.
    AND on every start from a stop, all 4 wheels have power applied to them. 55%/45%.. The only time that the Rav switches to fwd is when the truck is moving and no slippage occures... To raise gas mileage. The Honda system which has been in use for many years works fine. Its a proven system.. And with the traction control, Ill put a 06 rav against any previous gen Rav in a slippery situation.
    You should do your homework...:)
    Frank
  • Options
    so.. rwd vs. fwd in slippery conditions.. You think rwd is better Hardly.. I have been driving fwd's since.. geeze.. my old 80 X11 Citation.. Had rwd sprinkled in there since 77 when I started driving.. NEVER ever got stuck OR had any uncontrolled slides etc etc n a fwd car. Got stuck and spun many a rear drivers.. BUT Im still a rwd man:) Just check out my web site to see:) Im just saying for everyday transportation you can't beat fwd(unless you have 4wd or awd)oh and BTW I drive a real 4wd full frame, real transfer case with low and normal rwd suv everyday. The Rav is my wifes:) heres my website

http://tinyurl.com/7zoma
  • Options
    You'll lose. Any auto expert/engineer will agree that a full time awd system will outperform a part time system. I understand why Toyota has moved to a part time system (yes, fuel efficiency and driveline efficiency is improved as a result) but you can't say that each system is equal. 5 degrees of slip at high speed can mean a great deal in certain circumstances.

I know you want to justify your purchase, and it may very well be that you'll never be in a situation where that extra traction will come into play. But you clearly don't have the knowledge here that you pretend to have. Sorry. :sick:
  • Options
    nedrivernedriver Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone have experience with special orders? I'm having trouble locating any dealers with a RAV that has the options I want (esp. leather). They're telling me 4-8 weeks to get one. Does this seem reasonable? Also, dealers want $1,000 to initiate the order process. Should I try to pay less? or watch out for anything I need to sign etc.? Any suggestions would be great.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Please ask Leasing questions in the discussion Toyota RAV4: Lease Questions.

Thanks!
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    A deposit of $500 to $1000 is typical for any ordered vehicle. It goes toward the purchase price and you will have no difficulty. We probably do it 50 times a month. 4-8 weeks seems about right since these are all built in Japan and the dealers wont know what they have allotted to them more than 30 days out generally.

Toyota has a bi-monthly ordering process with it's dealers.

If you make it too specific then your special vehicle may take upwards of 4-6 months. Many dealers, us included, discourage these ultra specific orders because they just create ill will when they don't come on time. We don't want unhappy clients.

Is it only leather that you want in your special order?
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Hi nedriver - if you ask in Toyota RAV4: Prices Paid & Buying Experience I'm sure you'll find people who will share their special order experiences with you.
  • Options
    we special ordered the exact Rav we wanted.The dealer located it in another local Toyota dealer and had it the next day.. I guess that the plus of being in a big city that may not happen in a rural area.... $1000 seems unfair tho..

Frank
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Let me say at the outset that I'm no engineer & I don't pretend to be an expert in this stuff. But I've spoken with enough folks who own both types of drivetrains to believe that while full-time AWD has an undeniable edge in the deep stuff, there really isn't a meaningful difference between the two when it comes to the sort of urban / suburban driving that most of us do. (Sorry about that too-long last sentence.)

I live in a NYC suburb. My town's plows have made at least 2 passes before I leave my house (& I'm out well before dawn). Slip-detect is more than adequate under these conditions, & friends who own both Outbacks & CR-Vs back me on this. I also think (but can't prove) that part-time systems might yield slightly better fuel mileage during the warmer months.

That said, I'd probably have a Subie if I lived in northern New England.
  • Options
    A very well thought-out reply, thank you. I agree that in most cases, slip-detech AWD is more than sufficient. Actually, in most cases, a FWD car with snow tires in more than sufficient.

From a strictly functional POV, full time AWD, however, is the superior system. It all depends on how one drives, and what one will encounter. :) You won't see any rally car drivers using a part-time AWD system.
  • Options
    I think the bottom line to all ths XWD stuff is if you want near perfection buy Audi Quattro. If you want perfectly adequate at a great price buy RAV4. This is from an Audi A6 2.7t owner who is looking at the RAV4!

PS, for the differnce in price you can go on a great vaction 3-5 times.
    Jim D
  • Options
    Absolutely! Every car is about compromise.

However, one shouldn't argue that their Tercel has equal performance to a Ferrari, just because that person wouldn't break the speed limit in either car.

And remember, a good set of snow tires on a FWD car is better than the most advanced AWD system on the market.
  • Options
    jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    Actually, in most cases, a FWD car with snow tires in more than sufficient.

You're absolutely right about that. For that matter, RWD + 4 good dedicated snows would do the trick in my area.
  • Options
    bill119bill119 Member Posts: 17
    Just today I special ordered a AWDV6 Limited, here in Eastern PA and this is exactly the sense I got from the dealer. I wanted everything but the DVD player and was told 6-8 weeks is the expected wait time but that they did not know when they would recive the first V6 RAVs. Test drove a 4 and immediatly liked the way that it felt. Was going to buy the V6 Vue until I found this car, I think I made the right choice.
  • Options
    well said Jim.. :)
  • Options
    agreed clam!! Actually the truck I have at work is really good. Transfer cased 4wd with a limited slip rear diff. So I have 3 wheel drive all the time. That Chevy is fantastic in the snow. I hope the Rav is somewhere close. Then I will be happy.. No hard feelings clam?? :)

Frank
  • Options
    congrats!Where in Eastern pa? The 4 is a pretty good lil engine.. Plenty for mostly city driving .. :)

Frank
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    We are getting way too technical (this reminds me of some elaborate plans that look great on paper, but find out something less complicated worked just as well for what it was intended to accomplish). It looks like some are trying too hard to find reasons why people shouldn't purchase the new RAV. I don't have the technical knowledge. However, I have driving experience (38 years). I've owned both, the old RAV and the Matrix. Although both have different AWD systems, both handled equally well in snow and ice conditions. The Matrix transition from FWD to AWD was seemless and flawless. If the system in the new RAV works as well as the one in the Matrix, buyers (for which it was intended for) will be satisfied. To date, it appears to work great, according to the reviews. If your looking for an off-roader, forget it, none in this class was built for this type of driving. These are car-based vehicles that will give owners additional traction when required, period. The proof is in strong sales that the Escape, CRV and many others are experiencing.

No need to try and convince me that the full time AWD is better, in certain circumstances. However, for the type of driving that I and others are looking for in this car-based vehicle, it will do the job just fine. And yes, I will enjoy the improved gas mileage that the new system provides. Incidentally, I'm not pretending to have the technical knowledge. In this case I don't need it
  • Options
    >>It looks like some are trying too hard to find reasons why people shouldn't purchase the new RAV<<

Well, that certainly wasn't my intention. By now that you mention it, if someone offered me a 2005 4cyl or a 2006 4cyl, I'd take the 2005, without question - if just for the availability of the 5spd, and the better AWD.

It is the 6cyl option that the reviewers are going nuts over (for good reason).
  • Options
    before you condem the 06, (for whatever reason that is baffling me)drive an 2005 and an 2006 Clam.. I think you will change your mind.. I drove both so I speak from experience.. not even close.. 4 cyl to 4 cyl..
  • Options
    Consumer Reports disagrees (so do I). In snow testing, they found that an AWD car with all-season tires has better traction than a FWD car, even if it's equipped with four winter tires and traction control. That's been my experience over the years.

I don't believe CR's assessment was based on any biases. They aren't recommending anything, they are reporting their findings. It also stated the obvious, AWD does nothing to aid braking, adds a couple thousand dollars to the vehicle's price, consumes slightly more fuel and exacts a toll in acceleration. Finally, AWD is a valuable asset in wintry conditions, but if you drive on pavement and don't contend with snow it isn't worth the extra money. Sounds pretty logical to me (no technical advice required).
  • Options
    of course you are right Petl. Its a non issue. After all, if fwd was better then awd wouldn't rally drivers be turning as faster times in the fwd classes then in the 4wd classes?? :):) we all know they are not.. right clamie??? heh heh
  • Options
    Who said anything about traction? That's a small part of the equation in winter driving. What does Consumer Reports say about an AWD in all seasons vs FWD with winter tires in BRAKING, or TURNING, ie - collision avoidance.

The reason that you see so many 4WD trucks and cars in the ditch during your average winter storm is because the drivers of those vehicles have the ability to accellerate in any condition, and believe that they equates to superior braking and handling. It does not.

I maintain that 4 winter tires on a FWD car is a better and safer package than any AWD vehicle on all-seasons FOR WINTER DRIVING AS A WHOLE. This is not a novel opinion.

Want the best of both worlds? Get snow tires for your Rav4!
  • Options
    You seem very preoccupied with the opinion that I should approve of your purchase.

Rest assured, I think you bought the best small SUV on the market today.

But my personal opinion (that I'm not pushing on anyone else), is that there are not enough significant improvements between the 05 and 06 4cyl. to keep it on top of the heap for long. But we'll see.
  • Options
    The CRV was indeed based off the awd Civic platform. Since its been out since 02 and Honda did not have a light truck platform then, so it has to be.. The new RDX is based off the CRV platform, you have it backwards..

Frank
  • Options
    You should have read the second paragragh of my posting.

I will agree that there are drivers out there who feel they are invincible when driving their large SUV's in snow and ice conditions. They don't drive according to the weather conditions. There are many out there that also believe that ABS is superior in similar conditions. Wrong, stopping distances actually increase in ice and snow. These are the reasons why I see many of these vehicles in the ditch (some flipped) during snow storms. Just curious, do you live in an area where it snows?

FWD (with snow tires) is not better than AWD (with all seasons). I'll take the increased traction any day. Unfortunately, we are unable to control how others drive. Smart (even defensive) driving habits are the key. I think you stated that yourself. We will have to agree to disagree.
  • Options
    serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    The traction does not increase--available traction remains the same. However, when you split the torque to both axles as opposed to one, you make the most of the available tracton because you are applying less torque to the driving wheels.

I agree that braking is no better and that folks with AWD or a variation sometimes overrate the capabilitiesof the vehicles. But the human factor does not alter my conclusion above.

If people were trained how to brake properly with an ABS vehicle as well as its limitations, it might have lived up to its billing. Stopping distances with ABS are not that much greater--again, though, the human interface places too much trust in the technology. On the flip side, those folks who have been driving with ABS malign it unnecessarily and just have forgotten that feeling in your stomach as you are sliding sideways on glare ice because you tagged the brakes too hard.

Regards,
    Tom
  • Options
    fnamowiczfnamowicz Member Posts: 196
    please keep this discussion site to cars!
  • Options
    pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    I live in NEPA (Poconos) and own a Honda Pilot. I regularly see FWD cars from NYC, visiting for the weekend, scattered in the ditches on Brushy Mountain Road. When I climb the hill to my house many are out of their cars waving me down to stop somehow insinuating that I can't make the hill. Of course, the AWD is undettered and its not an issue. I laugh at the bewilderment on their faces. Listen, you bring your fwd with Blizzaks to my hill and then try to get up my driveway and then you'll understand why I own and drive an AWD. Argue you all you want about racing, stopping, etc. but where I live it is irrelevant and owning an AWD is a necessity.
  • Options
    Sounds like you have a specialized need! Sounds like the AWD is indespensible for you. I wouldn't want to drive any 2wd vehicle up the grade you describe.

However, if you'd like to challenge a 2wd Pilot with snow tires to a braking distance test, or a slalom, I have a feeling that you'd find snow tires much more "relevant" than an AWD vehicle with average all-seasons in bad conditions. And these are the types of manouvers more common to most drivers than climbing extreme grades.

cheers!
  • Options
    I stand corrected. I should have said "additional". I'm sure you get the message I was trying to relay.
  • Options
    serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    Did not intend to insult you. I just wanted to reinforce your point that AWD does not help braking performance or other things that are traction-dependent. It merely spreads the drive torque across more wheels.

Regards,
    Tom