Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Mystery car pix

Comments

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 19,572

If you're sharp you might know what city this is.

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• lostwrench1lostwrench1 Ct.Posts: 1,029
    I'll grab the "featured" car under the sign as a 49 Mercury.
    Bad image having a liquid flow from under it.
    Jax = Jacksonville?
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,786
    G'day

Prat has a rather different meaning for the English. When I read Louis Armstrong's mention of Prat's Restaurant (I think referring to a fish sandwich), I had wondered!

Mind you, if you have ever eaten a Shrimp Po'Boy, you will know the appeal.

So, I guess New Orleans.

Cheers

Graham
  • magnettemagnette London UKPosts: 2,547
    Sorry about the delay in replying to you on this but I didn't use my computer this weekend...
    It is indeed a Gilbern GT, from the most prominent maufcaturer ever based in Wales - Gilbern were from Llantwit Fadre near Pontypridd - on the edge of the Rhondda as you say.
    This one, being from 1965 is a fairly late version of this model and would probably have the 1798cc MGB engine, but they were capable of taking BMC A or B series engines - quite a number were fitted with the 1622cc unit, for example. The GT was replaced by the Genie I think in 1966 but there was a bit of overlap between the models for some time. Most Gilberns were sold as kits which was advantageous from a tax point of view until 1973 when the tax position changed.
    I'm originally from South Wales too, although I've lived here in London for years.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters AustraliaPosts: 1,786
    G'day

Those rear lights are bugging me. They are off a BMC car, but I cannot exactly place the model.

There was something about the first Gilbern being built in an upstairs room and then having to be winched down. I could relate to this as my sister once constructed a fiberglass kayak in the kitchen and mum got a bit distressed. The fiberglass would not set, so we had to apply a hair dryer for days. I was also building a Mirror dinghy at the time and wickedly asked mum if I could finish it in the lounge-room.

I periodically wondered why the only obvious motor manufacturer in Wales was the Ford factory at Bridgend which I think manufactured engines. There is also something in Deeside which is more Liverpool than Wales, to my mind.

Some of the most awful poverty I ever saw was up the Valleys of South Wales, after the collieries had closed.

However, it did give rise to some humour, when I was attempting to interview a small business owner after a fatal explosion.

At the time, I owned a Mercedes C class (worst car that I ever owned because of continuous break-downs).

As I tried to interview the gentleman in his very threadbare lounge-room, carpets and furnishings worn away to nothing, he kept leaping up and peering out the window. I became increasingly suspicious, wondering if his nervousness was due to my very gentle questioning. I ultimately challenged him and he said "No, I'm just worried about your car. It's worth more than all the cars in the street, including those that people own (ie. the balance had been stolen). I don't think that I had ever seen such a collection of Bangers. The mystery is how any of them could have been registered.

When I revisited, I was careful to take the oldest and cheapest car from our car park.

Have there been any other Welsh motor manufacturers that you can recall?

Cheers

Graham
    On the right of the featured Mercury
    48 Dodge
    49 Mercury Sedan
    A nice 49 Mercury convertible
    Next to the building a 48 Chevy

On the left of the featured Mercury
    50 Lincoln
    48 Dodge
    51 Studebaker
    edited June 2013
    I'm with you on the scene's being in New Orleans because of the Nyanza Place street sign.
    edited June 2013
    Yep it's N'Awlins, corner of Dryade and Howard. Jax is a beer that was brewed in the Big Easy.

edited June 2013
    I think the Gilbern's rear lights might be off a Wolseley Hornet /Riley Elf - not sure though.
    There have been a small number of cars made in Wales, but mostly kit cars etc after WW2.
    Kieft made cars in Bridgend - or nearby - before moving to the Wolverhampton area (I think). Also Davrian made cars in South Wales somewhere for a time.
    Back in the 20's there as a cyclecar called the Gwalia, which was made in Cardiff.
    Ford never made whole cars in Bridgend but since the late 70's they have made a huge number of engines. There used to be a number of component manufacturers near Swansea too - AP etc, making radiators and other bits, near the steel works.
    It was a very run-down place when the mines shut, in particular - although a lot of money from European redevelopment funds has helped a bit over the last thirty years - still some pockets of terrible unemployment though - especially when you go more than forty minutes from the motorway...

edited June 2013
    Simca 1000 Coupe by Bertone from about 1963/6 - a very nice looking little car - not sure if they also did a 1200 version later.
    I had a model of one of these once - by Corgi Toys (who made millions of model cars in Wales)
    You're correct Mag. Bertone obviously recapped the same styling for the Fiat 850 Coupe.

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 91,740
    '90s BMW 3-series Touring (wagon). E36

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Yup, that is a '97 BMW325 TDi Touring, a model never officially exported to the US . We never got any E36 wagons or any E36 diesel models at all.

BMW has announced that starting in 2014 they will sell a Turbo Diesel Touring (wagon) in the US.

• wgraferwgrafer Posts: 592
    Try again Grafer, I see no picture. :(

1959 Olds 98
    edited June 2013
    1959 Olds 98

Yep.

• wgraferwgrafer Posts: 592
    OK, I guess I'm an idiot because I can't remember how to post a picture. I have a nice dash pic on Flickr, I copy the link location, I then click on 'IMG' below and then paste the link location, I post message, and NOTHING.

I use site search above for 'how to post image' etc, and nada... Oh well, I tried. Help!!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 12,680
    try Img button 'your picture' Img button again
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    edited June 2013

It's not just you. :shades:

Haven't used Flickr for a while; something about the link I guess - maybe it's that @ sign in there since we change them for anti-spam purposes.

You can paste the link in the browser address bar and it works fine - after you fix the @ sign.(http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9014648055/)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 12,680
    do you mean remove it?
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    edited June 2013
    No, replace it with a "real" @ sign. If you cut and paste that link, the @ sign disappears, or it does for me.

Bit of a pain I know. :sick:

Oh heck, let me snip it from my screen and put it on tinyurl. It's a great shot not to have exposed, even if I won't be able to get it to fit without messing up the dimensions.

BIGGER (as Andy would say, lol)
  • berriberri Posts: 8,808
    I can't see enough to know. But the venti pane window and placement of the power window switches makes me think something from 57-59 Ford family?
  • lemkolemko Philadelphia, PAPosts: 15,302
    This is from a 1958 Oldsmobile with the transportable transistor radio.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 61,420
    edited June 2013
    You see? Drivers have been crashing into trees while fiddling with their music for over half a century!

And NO, young 'uns, that is NOT a huge DVD disk :P

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,885
    Oh geez. "Highway Hi-Fi" in a '55 or '56 Chrysler (maybe DeSoto).

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Was Chrysler also in the business of selling records? That's not an ordinary 45rpm.