Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mystery car pix

Comments

• Options
    magnettemagnette Member Posts: 4,157
    Always a little hazy about the exotic Italians.....
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    So are the Italians :P
  • Options
    andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,392
    Yup, that's a 1950 Dodge Power Wagon with a custom woodie body.

IMO the old PWs were the coolest trucks ever made. That one's so far up the coolness scale it's right up there with Lotus Elites and early Porsche Speedsters.

Read about it here.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• Options
    kucha2kucha2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, the moderators in another discussion suggested that I post my query here.

I took this photo of a car in the distance. Does anyone have a clue if it is a Mercedes?

Thanks!

I posted the photo on Panoramio:

Mercedes?
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,175
    looks like a 2005+ Jetta to me
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    I think that body style started in '06... but, I agree... VW Jetta...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options

If you're really good you might be able tell the name of the political candidate in the red convertible from the ages of the cars in this photo.

• Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Maybe around a 52 Lincoln (looked like Mercury's back then too!). Can't tell the candidate from the pix, but I'll guess Adlai Stevenson or Dwight Eisenhower.
  • Options
    That's Stevenson--I recognize the weak chin. :P

I guess the other guy is John Sparkman?

Of course, Stevenson lost both times to Ike, but he did distinguish himself in the Cuban missile crisis.
  • Options
  • Options
    I think it's a Standard something, to the left maybe a Triumph 2000 estate?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes Fin, this is a Standard - I'll leave it a bit longer in case anyone gets the model.
    Also you got the Triumph 2000 estate - Standard and Triumph were linked for most of the immediate postwar period, until Standard dwindled away in 1963. Even after that however there were a couple of Triumph cars which were sold as Standards in India - the four door locally produced version of the triumph Herald was known as a Standard for a time.

These small Standards were sometimes sold as Triumphs in some markets - was the Standard Companion (an estate version of what we have here) sold as a Triumph in NA at some stage?
  • Options
    bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,473
    Does anyone know what's up with the fender-mounted mirrors? I don't remember seeing those on any European (or US) car.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• Options
    Yup, that's poor Adlai Stevenson, who lost twice to Ike but that's no disgrace J.C. Himself would have lost too. and yup that's a '52 or '53 Lincoln. Some other identifiable cars in that scene too.

• Options
    I reckon that's a Standard Pennant, ca. late 50s (most were two-tones). As for the mirrors, they were common add-ons in Europe at the time. Most cars back then did not include any outside mirrors as standard equipment and apparently many British and Continental drivers figured they might as well add two.

U.S. drivers as usual weren't generally as astute, it was rare at the time to see American Iron wearing two outside mirrors.

• Options
    The mirrors on my MG Magnette are mounted on what we would call the wings - quite common here until the advent of door mirrors (and incidentally much better for accurately aiming the car through gaps).
  • Options
    Yes - its a Standard Pennant - a development of the more utilitarian Standard Ten, and was current from 1957 to 59.
  • Options
  • Options
    Yep, that's a Pennant all right....1670 cc, 60 angry horsepower, and 0-50 in a mere 20 seconds. :P
  • Options
    Holland, again. I'll pick off the Skoda 1000 on the right.
  • Options
    Early fintails had mirrors on the fender, as opposed to door mounted mirrors past 1962-63 (I think). Seems goofy to me simply as you can't adjust it from inside the car.
  • Options
    No, that was the first series Standard Ensign. The Pennant had 948cc, 37bhp and 66mph with acceleration measured on a calendar.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Fair enough - the Skoda 1000 - the other two should be easy enough...
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    the other two should be easy enough...

Easy for you to say... The white car is a Renault 4CV, a rarity in NA but ubiquitous on your side.

The dark colored car looks like what we got as the Volkswagen Fox (a Brazilian VW Gol) but I don't think that was ever marketed in U-rope. I'm pretty sure it's a Vee-dub but not one we ever got. Speaking of VW, that's a Beetle/Kafer/Bug/1200 fender on the extreme left.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes on the Renault - but the dark estate car is not a VW of any type - yes on the VW wing out of shot.
  • Options
    I think it's a Mk1 Cortina estate.
  • Options
    The Hino version of the Renault R4?

• Options
    Yes,this is a Mk I Ford Cortina Estate. I think its early enough to be a Consul Cortina - for the first year or so they sold the Cortina as a sub-brand of Ford Consul. They had also done this with the Consul Classic and its relative the Consul Capri.
    I think that was similar to the way Ford US tried to develop brands within the main Ford brand like the Fairlane etc to become a whole range.
  • Options
    I hoped the British number plate would have tricked you, but never mind.

It is Japanese - but not a Hino, and as far as I know it isn't related to any European car assembled in Japan etc.
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

A bit more mainstream than many of your recent postings. Also extremely successful in rallying in Australia.

This is the Mitsubishi Colt Fastback from the mid-late 1960s, which sold fairly well in Australia. Prototypes were brought to Australia for testing which highlighted a series of issues. Accordingly the finished product was "Australianised" and pretty robust for our tough conditions.

The interior was extraordinary, with a fold flat rear seat and spare wheel cover which folded out to a picnic table. I seem to recall that the rear windows opened outward with a gap at the bottom, rather than the rear. It struck me, as a child, as similar to the Renault 16, with its unusual fastback lines

The wipers "clapped hands" folding over each other in the centre of the screen. I had not seen these for years but recently hired a small Ford in New Zealand wit the same feature; they clear virtually all of the screen, except the band around the windscreen mirror mount.

I am not sure how many sold, but I do recall seeing them around reasonably frequently, when I was at university in the 1970s; probably by that time, the typical student car, handed down from mum.

Later model Colts were assembled in Adelaide from about 1984. I owned a 1982 model which was good fun.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options

• Options
    I have noticed "clap hands" wipers have come back in the past 15 years or so, often on van style vehicles. My fintail has similar wipers, these were seen on some MBs until the mid 70s.

I saw an early 80s Colt 4/5 door the other day, very uncommon here.
  • Options
    No replies to me not-a-Maserati in Post #36957? Here's a hint...powered by Chrysler.

Going...going....

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Thats it Graham - its Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - 1968. They were never actually sold here, but Mitsubishi explored the possibility at that time - this particular car was road tested by Motor magazine and I know they must have had at least two here because this one was white (there is a colour photo on the cover of the relevant magazine) while I have seen a pale lemon yellow one back in the late eighties in suburban London - it was there for about a year and I kept meaning to take a picture but then it was gone...
    They decided against importing at the time, and in fact didn't organise themselves until the mid-seventies - when they called the cars Colt (not Mitsubishi) because they thought it was too Japanese. Of course, after a few years they were all called Mitsubishi anyway...
  • Options
    I've seen a picture of this car but can't remember where....
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I've seen a picture of this car but can't remember where....
    Hemmings?

For those of you too lazy to click on the link, the black cabrio is a 1967 Ghia 450SS, powered by MoPar's 273 CID V8. The rest of the drive-train came from a Plymouth Barracuda S. Giorgetto Giugiaro did the styling, he's best known for the Maserati Ghibli, the Alfa Giulia Sprint and the original VW Golf/Rabbit.

• Options
    because this is one of the coolest cars ever made>

• Options
    Ah well - I was actually thinking of something else anyway. Never look at Hemmings magazine as it isn't known here really.
  • Options
    Nice one - Abarth 750 GT Zagato.
  • Options
    slobber, slobber... :)
  • Options
    Yup, that's a 1959 Abarth 750 GT Zagato, these were popularly known as the Abarth Zagato "Double Bubble", this view of the roof shows why>

If you've never seen one you have no idea how tiny they were, they were built on the same platform as the diminutive Fiat 500.

• Options

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Ah yes - another car that did the Brits better than we did them ourselves...

This is an Innocenti Spider (I think this one was known as the Type C) and it is really an Italian version of the Sprite. If only - but they weren't sold in Britain and consequently are rare here.
  • Options
    And they have a double bubble in the roof because.....? (QUIZ)
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    Room for your head?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    er....close but not quite the right answer.
  • Options
    au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,389
    room for your head in a helment?

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    If it's factory correct, that GT would only have a slant six under the hood. The V-8 would have a badge on the fender that said "V8".

However, I have a feeling a few things were pulled off of that car when it was repainted. For example, it's missing the silver and matte-black aluminum trim that's supposed to run along the beltline.

My old '69 GT also had metal trim pieces in the wheel openings. I don't know if that was part of the GT package, or if they were a separate option.

As for the V-8, I can't remember...did they finally put the 318 in these cars for '69, or was the 273 still around? My '68 Dart 270 was originally equipped with a 273 according to the VIN, but I have no idea what it was sporting by the time got it. Previous owner said it was a rebuilt 318.
  • Options
    Yup that is an Innocenti 950 Spider, basically an A-H Sprite built in Turin with Sprite Mk.II mechanicals and a Tjaarda designed Ghia body. It's a lot prettier than the rather insipid BMC design>

Here's the Innocenti brochure for 1963>