Options

Acura TL 2006+

Comments

• Options
    sushi96720sushi96720 Member Posts: 12
    I don't think there's any changes except for the addition of new color.
  • Options
    frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    What new color? I would love to see a new TL with a light blue. ;)
  • Options
    delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    I prefer the fake carbon fiber over the fake wood

I prefer the 'faux' wood in my parchment interior. It depends on the color combo... Carbon fibre would look too weird with the parchment.
  • Options
    Addition of colors...as well as retirement of colors.

I do remember about 3 weeks ago a whole listing of changes....and a link to an external site. For those interested...please scan this forum for more details.
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Welcome back, D. Did your TL start when you got home? How's the cat?!? :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome back...Paris was great. I saw on the other TL 'problem and solution' site that there was great concern with the cat. Glad to say that both the TL and cat are fine...both purrring along. TL started just fine and my concern after reading other's comment was unwarranted and was just a hypochondriac.
  • Options
    bobcatmanbobcatman Member Posts: 51
    Per Temple oF Vtec.

Since its groundbreaking redesign in 2004, the Acura TL has solidified its place as both the top selling Acura and best-selling luxury sedan in the country. The TL comes equipped with a 3.2-liter, VTEC V-6 engine, a drive-by-wire throttle system, and an available close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission with limited slip differential. For 2006, a Tire Pressure Monitoring System is added to the TL’s already long list of standard safety features as are two new exterior colors.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
    Revised engine management system and steering angle sensor logic help reduce torque steer
    New Colors:
    Royal Blue Pearl replaces Abyss Blue Pearl
    Alabaster Silver Metallic replaces Satin Silver Metallic
    Deep Green Pearl discontinued
    New horsepower/torque ratings: 258 horsepower SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 6200 rpm, 233 lbs-ft. of torque SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 5000 rpm
  • Options
    g1cv66275g1cv66275 Member Posts: 8
    cmarkey,

Im glad I'm not going crazy. Its exactly what I have. And yes it is very annoying. I was even thinking of removing the tints but I dont think its worth the trouble of ruining the rear defrosters. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    throttlezonethrottlezone Member Posts: 1
    Was talking with the Service Mgr at a local dealer and was told that the 06 will be available with AWD, I am seeing the opposite on this forum and wanted to see if anyone else has heard this?
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    If true, that would be wonderful news, except for owners of RLs. :P
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,740
    Agreed, great for TL fans, but it would seem to make the RL even more superfluous. Not that the RL is a bad car, but it would lose one of it's unique selling propositions (usp).

OT: Just over a week 'till the Patriots begin their quest to "Three-peat." I think I just made Pat Reilly another couple of bucks...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    So the 06 will have 12 less HP than the 05?
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,740
    Only on paper, from what I understand. I suppose all cars will have their HP ratings lowered by this new measuerment. I read the 300hp Caddy Northstar in the Deville is now rated at 291. But does that matter a whole lot? Not to me, doesn't change how the car drives or the value it presents.

Too each...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    kssod1kssod1 Member Posts: 50
    My current car is a Jaguar X-Type with AWD and stability control. It has been a great improvemnt over my 98 Accord in bad weather, rain and snow. The AWD has no torque steer on wet streets or over standing water on expressways, and is outstanding in snow and slush, never does the wheel tug when changing lanes on a snowy or slushy expressway. My MDX is also superior to the Ody it replaced. I live in cleveland and have a 30 mile commute each way, last year the east side got almost130 inches of snnow. My question is has anyone had a comparison between an AWD car (subaru,volvo G35x, BMW etc) and the TL with VDC in bad weather. I know snows and FWD will go through just about anything but I can tell you from personal experience that the AWD is better IMO. The RL is nice but it isn't sporty like the TL or Jag, and the G35x interior is a let down compared to my current car and the TL. The IS250 AWD is underpowerd.
  • Options
    Yeah welcome back delmar!!! Glad to hear your cat and TL are purring :P Do they have TL's in Paris?
  • Options
    Thanks for the welcome back. In Paris, I didn't see any TLs...not one. But plenty of TSX out in the countryside and bunch of VWs. Me...when I visit Paris (one of my favorite cities), I use their excellent subways which will get you to almost any desired location. Rivals the San Francisco metro system (one of the worlds finest)...but their surface street bus system is non-existant. In fact...our last trip to France last year got us interested in the TSX and why we have that as our beater car.

Telling you folks....with gas prices zooming...this is our future: www.smart.com
  • Options
    Below is a link of the official annoucement of the 2006 TL from Acura !

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3000?mid=2005083070963&mime=asc

Sure doesn't look like many changes from the 2005 TL. Pretty much as I anticipated.

At the same site...you can also see that the TSX underwent huge changes.
  • Options
    zeakzeak Member Posts: 24
    I noticed the newsletter stated something about 3D graphics for interstate exchanges. Is that something new or does my 2005 Nav. system have the same functionality?
  • Options
    Paris is great, but it's not San Francisco LOL

In Europe they drive smaller cars, so the TSX fits in perfectly, and the TL is a comparative yaught. However, I have seen many limos in Paris, probably Mick Jagger. :P
  • Options
    Are you talking about Paris Hilton? :blush:
  • Options
    shooter43shooter43 Member Posts: 6
    I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 05 TL w/Navi. Getting a great deal as its the end of the model year. Still, part of me feels that I should wait for the '06 to come out in 2 months. From what I hear, Acura has addressed the torque steer issue which is one of the cars few flaws. The dealer also said that the '06 will be available in white on black which would be my first choice. Of course, he also tried to pressure me into buying an '05, claiming that I'll basically be paying FULL STICKER for an '06! Is this true? And, if so, is it worth spending $2500 for the torque steer solve and preffered color combo? Any insights would be much appreciated!
  • Options
    Easy answer...drive the 2005 and see if you feel any torque steer. I don't in mine.
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Agree with Delmar. If you're considering an automatic, I hear the torque steer isn't that noticeable. If that's the case, the only significant difference with the '06s is a tire pressure monitoring system. That's not worth the premium you'll pay, IMO.

Now, a TPMS and your preferred color might be worth the premium. Your decision.
  • Options
    billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
  • Options
    I agree, I have an AT 05 and feel no torque steer and I have pushed this car very hard in turns. The 05 will likely be at least a few grand cheaper.
  • Options
    mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    My wife and I have just been discussing this. From the press release, it sounds like the software upgrade is only for the manual...

"For 2006, models with the 6-speed manual transmission incorporate engine control module changes to help reduce torque steer during acceleration."

So if you get the automatic, the only change is the TPM, correct? And if deals are better on the 05, then maybe we should go ahead and go that route?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I am not sure if the engine module changes is only for the manuals. However...in my automatic...I have not felt any torque steer. From what I have read here, not any from those with autos.

As for the 2005 deals....I doubt you will see the discounts in the 2006.

My advise. Go drive the 2005....see if the ride and car is what you desire. If so...consider the 2005 for the great current discounts.
  • Options
    To be honest, there is some torque steer even on the auto, but only if you really stand on the gas from stop, and if the road surface is rough or uneven.
  • Options
    billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    I see the new Passatt is boasting 280 horses and 265 lb ft torque.

Acura needs to move ahead of the game again- they are getting left behind.
  • Options
    Yeah....there could be some torque steer just by virtual of being FWD. Honestly...I am trying self-denial....I really have not noticed.
  • Options
    azdriverazdriver Member Posts: 3
    More iPods to ride in 2006 cars
    http://news.com.com/More+iPods+to+ride+in+2006+cars/2100-1041_3-5853269.html?tag=st_lh

At a Apple press event here, Audi, Volkswagen, Honda and its Acura luxury division showed off their yet-to-be-released cars sporting the latest iPod Nano linked to the stereo system and other volume controls on the steering wheel.
    Honda and Acura said they would augment their iPod connector kits with text-to-speech capabilities, which representatives with the company said can be used to search for playlists and other title information.

Volkswagen, Honda and Acura said they would offer iPod support for the majority of their 2006 U.S. lineups.
  • Options
    accorddrvr98accorddrvr98 Member Posts: 4
    Does this mean that Acura may offer a dealer-installed kit for the 2006 Acura TL? I certainly hope so. As of right now, it looks like the 2006 TSX is has iPod/MP3 support via the auxiliary connection.
  • Options
    accorddrvr98accorddrvr98 Member Posts: 4
    It looks like there will be a kit offered for the 2006 Acura TL, according to a posting on VTec. Definitely great news and now I will seriously consider purchasing the 2006 Acura TL early next year.
  • Options
    If they don't offer a kit for the 2006 TL....here is an alternative. I found this site where you can directly hookup your MP3 and Ipods to the stereo system and still have the full ability to use your steering wheel controls. Seamless hookup.

http://www.mp3yourcar.com/default.asp
  • Options
    mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    For the 2005 TL AT with Nav. Best so far is 33,000. Will let you guys know how it goes.
  • Options
    neegsneegs Member Posts: 3
    Does neone know if they changed the crappy key fob?
  • Options
    'crappy key fob'.

I hope they do change that 'crappy key' fob to be able to justify the additional cost of the 2006 over the 2005 TL.
  • Options
    What I have seen in San Francisco is Anthricite as the most popular color followed by Silver. The color I see least of all is the Gold, which I can't understand because I think the TL looks great with that color.
  • Options
    I kinda don't care much for the gold. Kinda reminds me of the Camry gold.
  • Options
    That's funny delmar, because that's why I like it. :P
  • Options
    boikoboiko Member Posts: 82
    I'm with you...much to my own surprise, I must admit..on the Acura TL Gold looks VERY sharp. I think for hiding dirt, keeping cool, and for showing off the lines of the car..Desert Mist is a surprisely good color for the Acura TL

The lines of the car and wheels somehow seem to keep it from looking like your Grand Dad's Gold colored Buick

As seen in these pics:

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2004/Acura/100197- - - 752/024654-E.jpg

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2004/Acura/100197- - - 752/024657-E.jpg
  • Options
    ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    05 accord has the key fob integrated into the key. seems like a nice setup. not sure why all acuras dont use the same key rather than having a seperate thing on the keychain.
  • Options
    btw...I hope I didn't offend anyone with a Gold TL. Not saying it is bad. Just that the Acura paint colors have always been unique compared to other makers and what is on the road.

Just as a suggestion....make sure to see the car in person...to make sure you do like the colors....

The TL looks great in all colors....honestly.
  • Options
    btw...I hope I didn't offend anyone with a Gold TL. Not saying it is bad. Just that the Acura paint colors have always been unique compared to other makers and what is on the road.

Just as a suggestion....make sure to see the car in person...to make sure you do like the colors....

• Options

Just as a suggestion....make sure to see the car in person...to make sure you do like the colors.... For instance...I have a Dark Green Pearl. It looks like $rap in the Acrua site pictures....but is great in person.

• Options
    I agree boiko, however, I have only seen one on the road :surprise:

Wow a triple post from delmar!!! Everyone here knows you are a good guy delmar and very unlikely anyone was offended by your dislike of the gold TL :P
  • Options
    tripple post? I know that when I was posting this message...it hung. Yet I only see one. Hey...are you drinking again and seeing tripple? Or maybe it is my split personality...just call me sybil.
  • Options
    zoomer1zoomer1 Member Posts: 42
    It seems it is a software fix. Defeatable by switch. Probably could be applied to prior models...

"Torque steer (the tendency for some front wheel drive cars to pull to the left or right during hard acceleration, especially in a turn) can be accentuated in high-performance front wheel drive cars when they are equipped with a limited slip differential. For 2006, Acura has taken steps to reduce torque steer in TLs equipped with a manual transmission. When the TL is in first or second gear, input from gear position, speed and steering angle sensors is used by the ECU to reduce power during acceleration, thus reducing torque steer. In first gear, torque can be reduced between 13 and 27 percent at full throttle, while in second gear, torque is reduced between zero and 10 percent. Torque output is reduced proportionately based on steering input--the larger the steering angle, the greater the reduction in torque. For those desiring maximum possible acceleration switching off the VSA also eliminates this torque reduction. This steering enhancement allows the TL to maintain the sporty, fun-to-drive character while providing more precise steering control."
  • Options
    Well delmar, I was trying out a new wine yesterday. :cry: An Austrailian cab, that was not bad for an Aussie wine, and I wasn't driving. :P
  • Options
    The funny thing about the Desert Mist (gold in layman's term) is that it looks just horrible on the Accord, but somehow, on the TL, it looks quite elegant, almost luxurious when coupled with the Parchment leather interior. :) :shades:
This discussion has been closed.