Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 450h Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hendjazhendjaz Member Posts: 155
    Tacoma has indicated they are three months out on their orders. You were smart to be ahead of a lot of people and I am a bit late to the party.
  • katzjamrkatzjamr Member Posts: 146
    When those cars come in they need to move them and the people on the list are not always ready or available, or they pass for some reason like color and options. Every saturday lexus takes an inventory of what is sitting on the lots and the dealers want those cars sold to keep their allocations up. I would actively call your salesperson and cultivate a relationship with one salesperson in tacoma also, you just have to be in the right place at the right time. good luck
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    Hope this info helps

I think you need to rent out your services to those that are paying MSRP for the RX400h. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Keep us posted as to your experience with the new vehicle.
  • lexrexbluelexrexblue Member Posts: 38
    ah, you're lucky. I bought mine at Warnock, too. However, color, is the issue. Unfortunately I didn't want the colors they have. However, they are the best when it comes to service! Good luck with yours.
  • phil15phil15 Member Posts: 3
    FYI JM Lexus in Margate Florida is quoting $3000.00 off all RX400H's in today's
    local paper. Not a salesman or connected with JM. I got $1000.00 off 4 months
    ago from them.
  • wantsrx400hwantsrx400h Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know how much the tax credit will be for the 400h next year?
    The tax credit for 2006 will be a deduction from your actual taxable income not just a percent of the tax you pay as in 2005. This being said there are at least two caveats in the code. First, only the first 60,000 hybrids made by a manufacturer will be allowed a tax credit. Toyota sells more than that when you add in the Prius, HH, and 400h. So it will help to get a toyota product early in the year. Second there is a formula based on the weight of the vehicle and how much gas it saves over a comparable gas powered car. I have seen some figures and will try to look them up. Basically a Prius will qualify for a much larger deduction than a 400h, however because this is an actual tax credit, all of the allowances will be potentially more meaningful than in 2005. I am reading that if the manufacturer goes over the 60,000 vehicle cutoff, the cars they make in the next quarter will not qualify for a credit, however the vehicles in the quarter after that can qualify again.
    Thanks for the information. I managed to find two web sites that estimate amounts from $1500 to $2200. A credit is certainly better than the a tax deduction, but if it's on the low side it might not be worth the wait.
  • hawaiiquaylehawaiiquayle Member Posts: 5
    Dose any one have any experiance with lexus of Portland (Or.) We curently live in Hawaii where other than lexus the dealerships have the worst server ever because you dont have amny places to go. But we will be moving back to portland some time next year and just hope that service there is as good as the lexus dealership here.
  • mirexmirex Member Posts: 68
    A friend of mine in Vancouver, WA bought a RX330 from the Portland dealer last May. He went in with an Edmunds.com price sheet and bought it for the discounted price plus they paid for the Washington State sales tax. He was very satisfied with the buying experience.
    We are going to be picking up our RX 400h on Wednesday from Westside Lexus in Houston, TX. They have plenty of cars in stock and are great to deal with.
  • 4farnorth4farnorth Member Posts: 1
    We're interested in a 400h at Westside Lexus too, but would like to compare notes on options, availability and price. Did you shop other Houston area dealers, and if so, how did they compare on price?
    They had about 8 cars in stock. We got one with the heated seats, but no other extras. The price was $2000+ under MSRP and was the same price Sterling McCall (sp?) was willing to give us. We are doing a one payment lease which saves you money over a regular lease and since we think the technology on the hybrid may change a lot in the next few years we wanted to lease rather than buy.
  • humptydhumptyd Member Posts: 1
    1 -- dealer offered $1500 discount without prompting. We wanted a car with all the options, and dealer had in stock the car we wanted except that it lacked a factory installed DVD. Dealer installed an 8 inch DVD player for $1625, i.e. larger screen and cheaper price than factory unit. Total cash price including DVD player was $50,488.

2 -- consider making initial contact with dealer on Internet -- most dealers appeared to assign one of their better salespeople to Internet inquiries.

3 -- not all Lexus service technicians are created equal. The technician recommended by the delivery manager -- who, we learned later, operates a strict rotation system-- was extraordinarily inept in answering questions about the initial mileage. We finally got useful answers from another technician recommended by the salesman.

4 -- the Lexus site contains useful material on mileage performance, including an explanation why most of us will not achieve the EPA results, and points out that optimum performance may not be achieved during first 5000 miles.

5 -- most surprising omission: absence of climate control for second row passengers who are served only by three little vents in the middle of the floor, adjustable as regards direction and volume of flow but not temperature.

6 -- and the lemon of the week award goes to..............the navigation system! Leaving aside its confusing button names and poor legibility, and a manual which explains "how" but not "why", on its initial use the system failed to recognise the address of an abused women's shelter in Indianapolis, -- though it did offer the name of a furniture company in Cleveland,. When given the shelter's phone number, the system said the number was invalid, but when, on a whim, I put in the final four digits as "2000" instead of the correct "2200", the system gave the correct address for the shelter, although under the name of another company. The system in our 2005 Acura had no difficulty with either the address or the phone number. Stay tuned.
    I had never used a nav system and it took some time to feel comfortable with this one. There is a dvd on the nav system that does walk you through everything. You can play it in the car or use it in a desktop pc. There also used to be a tutorial at the official Lexus web site where u register your vin number, it is the one sponsored by Lexus. I found that one the most help. When it didnt like some of my addresses and the directions were opposite normal i realized it was set for a home city in canada. Now i get in the habit of entering the city first, that is one reason it didnt recognize your address. It will take an address that is close and get u there, and it will also adjust to a route you are driving that is different from its suggested route. Now that i have used it for a while i find it more useful than i thot it would be.
  • mirexmirex Member Posts: 68
    I now have 6600 miles on my 400h which includes several trips from Seattle to Portland as well as a round trip to Lake Tahoe, Novato CA, and back up the I5 corridor. The navigation system worked well including finding an obscure address in Gardenville, NV. Any streets or addresses that are newer than the dvd version in the navigation system, of course, will not be found.

The verbal command option is next to worthless. When speaking "go home" it gave me a list of chinese resteraunts. There should be an option that allows you to record a command.

I had previous experience with the Lexus navigation system in my RX300 so learning the additional options wasn't too difficult. I have seen the Accura navigation system and was impressed.
  • derekslinderekslin Member Posts: 5
    After reading several posts on here, I emailed several Texas Lexus dealers (Houston, San Antonio, Dallas) for the best price and my trade-in. MSRP is $49883+TTL. I received 3 best offers from Dallas dealers. I end up buying from one of these dealers. He offered me $2845 off the MSRP and he gave me one with additional Mark Levinson audio system upgrade ($980 MSRP). I drove up to Dallas and bought it the same day. My trade-in price is about $300-400 difference from what I expected from bluebook. Overall, my purhcase experience is excellent. I did an one pay lease following fellow forum member's suggestion.

BTW, I really enjoy this RX400h, I use bluetooth connecting to my cell phone to talk while drive. Navigation is easy to use, except you can not program it while driving. I am getting about 26.2 mpg fom three fill ups. Oh, and the dealership is Park Place Lexus . My advice is to email those dealers first and ask them to give you the best price and compare them. Austin Lexus never return my email or call me until a week later. They want me to pay MSRP and may not have one available.

I hope this information will help others

Derek
    Austin, TX
  • jazzpianojazzpiano Member Posts: 1
    Since the dealers in southern California are still charging MSRP, and have limited selection, we are considering "importing" from another state (thanks to a few posts on this forum about discounts available in various regions ;) ).
    Is there anyone on this forum who bought from an out-of-state dealer and had the vehicle shipped to southern California?
    What was your experience with doing this (expense, timeline, satisfaction, etc.)?
    (Even if some of you had your vehicles shipped to other states, any general information you can share would be appreciated!)
    Thanks! :)
    In Seattle we similarly have no available inventory and waiting lists are apparently still common. I sent emails to all of the dealers in the western states except for CA for obvious reasons for the purpose of finding one available, not so much for getting below msrp. I received a few auto response emails but only Lexus of Albuquerque responded that they thought they might have one or two that weren't already committed to someone.

I called right away and made an msrp offer on one and before the salesman could get my offer in the RX sold to a buyer there in the dealership. He then investigated another one that they had and found that a buyer on their list was scheduled to come the next day to look at it but had not yet committed to buy it. It was the right color for us so I made an offer for it, secured it with a small credit card deposit and they sold it to me. We flew to Abq a few days later and drove it back to Seattle, making a family vacation out of it with stops in Santa Fe, Moab,UT and Twin Falls, Id on the way back. We love the RX-h and very much enjoyed the purchase and travel experience. What a great road trip vehicle.

From SoCal, Abq should be an inexpensive flight and nice easy drive back. Try the Phoenix stores too as someone said the availability there was better but I received no responses from them other than auto ones. I called a few of the out of state dealers too and didn't rely on email only but email is actually what worked the best in finding the ones in Abq. I would be happy to share the contact information for the Abq dealer if you are interested. BTW, you may have to go further east (ie Texas as was noted) to get a "deal" on one currently. Good luck to you in the search.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Congratulations on your new car... But, please.. no contact information ...

Dealer name and city/state is fine....

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kaperinokaperino Member Posts: 19
    You must purchase the vehicle new and for your own use, not for resale.
    You must drive it mostly in the United States.
    The vehicle must meet all federal and state emissions requirements.
    Government agencies, tax exempt organizations, and foreign entities are not eligible.

$2000.00
    kap
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Government agencies, tax exempt organizations, and foreign entities are not eligible. "

Well, mark one down in the "DUH" column for the feds again; since a tax exempt organization would not be paying taxes anyway, how could they get a credit on taxes they don't pay?
  • newmownernewmowner Member Posts: 86
    Omtradelaw, can you help me with a trade for an RX? I have a 2006 ML350 with 1800 miles. Sticker is 48400.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I don't think omtradelaw was offering to take your car in trade (which would be against our forum rules), he was offering to answer any questions you might have...

But, either way, since he posted that in July, and that was the only time he has ever logged on to our forums, I don't think he will be replying..

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• flugelflugel Member Posts: 34
    I live in virginia, can I still get a tax break if I trade my 2005 ES330 (loaded) to the dealer or if I sell privately but let the dealer put the sale of my ES330 through the dealership?

Also, what can I expect for a good discount off of MSRP on a new RX400h with ML and navigation?

where at (which dealership)?

Can I use regular 87 octane in a new RX400H ?

The HOV use, I read< for hybrid is to be rescinded next year by either my state or the Feds. Any info on this?

Thanks.......reddog
  • ctsangctsang Member Posts: 237
    Why do you want to trade your 06 ML 350? If you do, you will lose big time.
  • andy3andy3 Member Posts: 5
    For the life of me I cannot fathom why anyone in their right mind is willing to pay, all-in incl. tax and license, over $50,000 for this vehicle. I love my current RX 300, but isn't it obvious that Lexus has been unable to achieve significant mileage improvements in the 400h, and now has to resort to hyping enhanced performance (acceleration, etc.) and luxury? The fact is that really improved mileage performance in hybrids is only achieved in the lighter weight hybrids, such as the Prius and the Honda hybrids. I looked long and hard at the 400h, but will be damned if I will pay over $50,000 for just a very, very small increase in MPG performance - there is simply no realistic payback. I hate to leave Toyota/Lexus, but a reasonable, lighter weight AWD SUV, with significant MPG increases, is the 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid, which I can purchase here in my Northern California county for $1,000 over the dealer's invoice - a fully loaded vehicle with all of the top options with a total purchase price, including tax and license, of about $35,000. Not quite as luxurious as the Lexus 400h, but at least $16-17,000 less costly!
    "I looked long and hard at the 400h, but will be damned if I will pay over $50,000 for just a very, very small increase in MPG performance - there is simply no realistic payback. I hate to leave Toyota/Lexus, but a reasonable, lighter weight AWD SUV, with significant MPG increases, is the 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid, which I can purchase here in my Northern California county for $1,000 over the dealer's invoice - a fully loaded vehicle with all of the top options with a total purchase price, including tax and license, of about $35,000. Not quite as luxurious as the Lexus 400h, but at least $16-17,000 less costly!"

Oh man, are you in for a ride with the responses to this post. You dare to post detailed, logical information! Are you from the planet Vulcan, by chance? :P

Seriously, I would hold off on the Escape Hybrid. The technology is not mature at Ford. I would wait for the 2007 model. They did not copy Toyota technology, they independently developed their own stuff.
    Andy3, 50K is alot for a vehicle i agree, im not sure i could justify it if my business wasnt paying for part of it. However, there are big compromises in the Ford Escape that you will have to live with. Old hybrid technology, not the latest version. Less power, a poorly integrated AC system, Ford Nav systems that have no idea where they are... the list goes on.

To stevedebi: It is my understanding that Ford was developing its own hybrid system and came so close to infringing on Toyotas patents that it was cheaper and faster for them to license toyota technology on the Escape. Ford is working on their own but the Escape hybrid system is a toyota product.
    Have you driven a 400h? The performance difference over a 330 or most any other SUV is remarkable and it is not a hype. For those of us looking for performance and reasonable mileage in a SUV package, the choices are limited to one - the 400h. For those looking to save money and get the highest mileage possible, and performance is not a goal, then this would of course not be one's choice.

This is a "green" alternative to a Cayenne (albeit with a bit less handlng prowess) and not to be confused with a Ford Escape.
    "To stevedebi: It is my understanding that Ford was developing its own hybrid system and came so close to infringing on Toyotas patents that it was cheaper and faster for them to license toyota technology on the Escape. Ford is working on their own but the Escape hybrid system is a toyota product."

I'd heard the opposite. Do you have any link to such information? It is a subject I'd really like to figure out definitively.
  • sportsnutsportsnut Member Posts: 2
    I made my purchase of a RX400h and I got $4000 off MSRP for a base vehicle without the Mark Levison sound system. After tax and licensing fees my out the door price was a little over $48K. I test drove all 3 hybrid SUV's and I found the Lexus the most enjoyable. The 2006 Escape was my least favorite. It made a rattling sound under hard exceleration and the dealer would not sell for under MSRP. The Highlander was nice but the dealer had a very limited stock on hand and was asking 2k over MSRP which put it at about $42K. If you are looking at a hybrid vehilce for MPG performance/payback buy a Prius. The Lexus is definately worth the extra $13K over a Ford.
  • scullipitscullipit Member Posts: 1
    sportsnut, what state are you from? Right now I'm trying to purchase one but the best deal I got was $1700 off MSRP. How did you manage 4k off? Any info would be appreciated.
  • newmownernewmowner Member Posts: 86
    I am just not that happy with it. I think the exterior design is a marked improvement from the old M design, and I think its interior design and layout are superior to Lexus's, but I like Lexus's reliability a bit more.

So the Prius got recalled. Should Lexus be worried about the 400h?
  • sportsnutsportsnut Member Posts: 2
    I purchased it about a month and a half ago from JM Lexus in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. They only had about five at the discount price and they were the base models without the heated seats or Mark Levinson sound system. Still a great price.
  • andy3andy3 Member Posts: 5
    This will be my last rant re this topic. Having given all of the current hybrids a good hard look, my conclusions are: they are over-priced for what you get, except for the Toyota Prius - which is, along with the Honda hybrid, the only hybrids that really get you significant improvements in MPG and thus a realistic payback. The Lexus RX 400h is overpriced, with no real significant improvement in MPG; the Toyota Highlander the same; and the Ford Escape hybrid overpriced for the very significant fall-off in overall quality you get from this vehicle. The current US fad is to go hybrid, which I call the "feel good" vehicle purchase as the buyer thinks he/she is doing something spectacular for the environment, etc. I'll keep my 2002 Lexus RX 300 until something comes along that is a quality SUV with significantly improved MPG.
  • chops57chops57 Member Posts: 5
    I got mine last weekend from Fremont, CA. I paid sticker price and it's fully loaded. I had been on a waiting list at multiple dealerships, so bargaining wasn't really an option. They took my 2000 Jeep cherokee for about 1k under blue book for the trade in.
  • bvendbvend Member Posts: 2
    Picked up my flint mica rx400 10/29 $3000 off msrp at wilde lexus + matched lowest internet financing. Great to deal with they have some in stock and are willing to deal.
    Herb/Bradenton fl
  • adp33adp33 Member Posts: 10
    What is the latest on pricing? Is now a good time to buy this vehicle, or should I wait until next year. I'm ready to pull the trigger. My car has over 80,000 miles on it, and I've been looking for a new one for over a year. I may keep the old car so my daughter can drive it when it's her time. My old car is a 2000 Sebring convert. It gets about 22. I know I am not saving the world by buying the 400H, but if it's more luxurious and more fun to drive than my Sebring, it doesn't hurt that it gets better mpg and will have much lower emissions. And if I want a convertible, I'll just back the Sebring out of the garage, which will be perhaps once a month or so. (and in a couple years, maybe I'llupgrade it with a "plug in" patch, and I'll be getting 60 mpg - yee-ha)

How do you folks think it will perform in snow?
    Have any of you tried different tires on it?

I also like the Mariner, but I'm thinking the 400H will be more fun to drive and better/safer in the snow. AND I really like the idea of rear reclining seats. (it's the one downside to our Volvo XC90, as compared to its predecessor, a Grand Caravan)

I'm pretty sure the 400H is the perfect car for me. I wish I could get one for 40K! :-)
  • bainsebainse Member Posts: 4
    You can't just compare MPG. The RX 300 (and 330), while a fine vehicle relatively speaking, is a granny car compared to the 400h when it comes to power and performance.

Plus, many people misstate the price differences among the Lexus models, forgetting that even the base version of the 400h basically is fully loaded (options that would add many thousands to the price of a 300 or 330).

To each his own.
  • bainsebainse Member Posts: 4
    I don't have a link at my fingertips (shouldn't be that hard to find on google or yahoo) but yes, it is well known that the Ford hybrid vehicle uses basically a FIRST generation Toyota hybrid system (ala the original Prius; the newer Prius is 2nd generation, the 400h third generation). And yes, I heard from several sources that there was a patent dispute and Toyota (being the leader in this area and holding basically all relevant patents) licensed some of its hybrid patents to Ford.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I heard from several sources that there was a patent dispute and Toyota (being the leader in this area and holding basically all relevant patents) licensed some of its hybrid patents to Ford.

Toyota may not hold all the hybrid patents. It is in court.

A Toyota spokesperson confirmed the lawsuit, but said that company policy prevented comment about pending litigation.

Solomon alleges that the hybrid transmission drive in the Toyota Prius and Highlander infringes a number of claims contained in its U.S. Patent No. 5,067,932.

hybrid lawsuit
  • cohenfivecohenfive Member Posts: 85
    one of my buddies is on a very long waiting list for a 400h. i thought i'd post here to see if there is any availability at below msrp in california. we live in the bay area. thanks.
  • life98_98life98_98 Member Posts: 2
    I received a price quote in NJ for a 400H with all options except rear entertainment for monthly lease of $558 and out of pocket (1st month, bank fee, MV/doc, tire tax, cap cost) of $6000, and MSRP quoted was 49,930. This is my first time leasing and not sure if this is a good deal I am getting… Any info would be appreciated.
  • craigwblakecraigwblake Member Posts: 2
    Just bought (yesterday) a RX400h in Oxnard for nearly $2000 below sticker. We just walked in, test drove one of the five they had sitting around and bought it. All we did was ask them to match an email offer extended by Lexus of Thousand Oaks. There is no reason to wait and pay sticker, they are available below if you go to the right spot.
  • cessna2cessna2 Member Posts: 3
    Congratulations! I bought mine in Bakersfield CA Nov.15th. We were on the waiting list for about 2 weeks. I only received a $500 discount and paid cash. Bummer! We live in the Central Coast and just as easily gone to Oxnard. The only real negative in the buying experince was the Finance lady who would not let up on trying to sell the extended warranty, she gave me the worst migraine,and actually convinced me the 400h was going to fall apart when it left the lot. I almost didn't buy the 400h. The other problem is my Motorola Razor bluetooth phone won't put numbers from phonebook into car bluetooth correctly. Going to exchange for new phone this week. I wish they would of offered cargo mat that others received.
  • mobymmobym Member Posts: 1
    I'm in Princeton and was quoted 621/mo with 12K miles/yr with 5700 down, so your deal sounds better. Which dealer do you use?
  • navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    FYI - Sony Ericcson (SE) cell phones are the only Bluetooth compatible handsets that will transfer the entire phone book with no hassles or issues. If you dont have a SE cell phone borrow one to send the entire phone book to the vehicle's onboard Bluetooth system. There after you will be able to add individual contacts one at a time.

First pair the SE with the vehicle. Extract the SIM card from your cell phone and place it into the SE GSM phone. Please note the telephone numbers must be on the card not in the phone memory otherwise the contacts will not be transferred.

Next follow the instructions in the SE owners manual and your are set. Return the SIM card to your phone. Good luck! ;)
  • schan1wschan1w Member Posts: 8
    I'm looking to buy a RX 400h with nav, rear-seat entertainment, Mark Levinson, and heated front seats. MSPR is $52,748. Any idea how much I can get this car for? I'm in the NY Metro area if that makes any difference. Seems like it's been many weeks since ppl have posted price info and I wanted to get the latest. Thanks so much.
  • ctoddctodd Member Posts: 1
    I bought a fully loaded RX400h just before year end. I think Lexus had given their dealers some incentive to sell a lot in the last month of the year. The MSRP was about $52,700 and I paid $49,000, or a discount of $3700. I bought from Longo Lexus in El Monte Calif. They delivered the car to me in the San Francisco area; they drove it up and the driver flew home at no extra charge.