Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All About Exhaust Systems

Comments

• I just purchased a 99 Taurus SE with the 24 valve Duratec motor. Form all accounts it should have dual exhaust, but it only has a single exhaust. The muffler and pipes appear to be original as the car only has 69K miles. My question is, were there Taurus's built with 24 valve motor and single exhaust? To go dual exhaust do you have to replace the whole system or does it split after the cat convertor?
    2nd question, same car. The car has ABS but drum brakes on the rear. (Has the ABS logo on the window?) From what I read all Taurus's with ABS had discs on all 4 corners.
    3rd and final question. Is 24 valve Duratec 185 or 200 horse? Depending where you read you see it both ways.
    Thanx for any info,
    Spinner
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 19,191
    Hate to break this to you but you will never get a mellow V-8 sound out of that Nissan. Tips will do nothing.

The best sound of all was an old six cylinder Chevy with a split manifold. Straight pipe on one side and an 18" glass pack on the other!
  • allday82allday82 Posts: 8
    You should go to the next shop.Now with a better understanding of your problem mabey they will help you. Act like you know . If your converter is cloged now buy a new one befor you mess up your muffler.Get prices first then find some one to work on your car. Dont act like damisel in distress mecanices see that as easy prey.Head light fluid?
    they can test the system without the converter.With a test peice.Price should be cheeper with your new muffler. Take your car back to the same shop. Mabey they can do a package deal because of your new muffler. Your car isnt worth much without a properly functioning converter. Cars ara hard to sell that way. Fix the problem then sell it quick.
    Can you buy the test pipe? for a perminate fix
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 55,478
    You can buy a test pipe but it would be illegal to use it permanently on the street. I don't think any shop would permanently install one for you.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I was wondering y there are 3 cats on this car and if i take the front 2 off will it be able to pass smog if the back cat is brand new. and does anyone know which one of the 3 fails the most.
  • saltypawsaltypaw Posts: 1
    I have a Saturn 2001 SC1, the service engine soon light has come on. I had the local parts store run a computer scan on the problem. It indicated it is a reflow problem.
    What needs to be done to the system?
  • Quick question. I have a Honda Accord 2003. Was driving on the road and heard a rattling noise under the car in the front that became louder. When AAA came by the guy said i had double heat shields and the one on the bottom was the one dragging - he took it out and said I didn't need it. Is this true?
    Heat shields are important...that's why Honda engineers put them there...the double shield is meant to protect your catalytic converter from starting grass fires, etc.

• The OEM suggests for 2 mufflers for my exhaust system (a center and a rear).
    Can I use 2 universal muffler instead of the OEM parts and build my system, will this work as good as the original?
    Don't see why not. The only snags I can see are 1) clearance issues with the floorpan or other parts of the car, or with the ground; 2) don't use a larger diameter pipe than OEM, or if you do, only marginally larger.

• Thank you, Sir.
    do you hav any suggestions to turbo my non-turbo engine, will this be too muc work (changing cam, intake, manifolds..??)
    Yeah, it's a lot of work and your engine would probably have to be strengthened internally or run at pretty low boost. On older engines, this is risky. I suppose you could install a used turbo engine all ready to run but I suppose you would also have to install the donor car's engine management system.

• thats a lot of work. back to my original muffler question, can i go with one muffler instead of the 2 on the original that make any difference?
    Sure as long as you aren't getting rid of the catalytic converter,which is illegal to do. It might sound louder though, depending on which muffler you pick. One of your mufflers is a resonator, a kind of silencer.

• well i bought the kit from autohasz, when I ordered it it said STARLA kit which is expensive than the WALKER mufflers but when I got my package I see STARLA stickers stuck over the WALKER manufaturer sticker. Is this ok for the seller to do this? I feel compromised for some cheap shot money.
    Hmmm...that is odd unless Walker makes these things for STARLA and it's better quality...don't know what to say...

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 11,348
    so it's almost a year for a reply, oh well.
    not sure of the year, but the hp of the duratec dropped from 200 to 185 when they went to the single exhaust.
    my '04 focus has abs and rear drum brakes. haven't really had to use it though.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2014 Ford F-150 FX4
  • mcb2mcb2 Posts: 1
    I have a subaru Legacy GT two stage twin turbo 2.0Lt 1994 model, i had the original exhaust pipe which i changed to a free flow pipe, after i did that i've notice the fuel consumption is so high and the mechanic told the car has now catalytic converter, what can i do? look for a catalytic converter or just change the pipe to another free flow pipe that does a little restriction of air? The performance is good as well as the sound. Plz help...... :confuse:
  • At least once a day when driving my 2006 Honda CRV, I get the strong rotten eggs smell that I associate with a catalytic converter problem. It last a couple of minutes.

The problem is, it is intermittent. I am afraid if I take it to the dealer, they will say "unable to duplicate the problem." Any suggestions?
    Try a different brand of gas as an experiment. Also could be that on start up your engine is running a bit rich. Might need some adjustments.

• shoughunshoughun Posts: 4
    When I had the same problem with my VW exhaust I just made sure that it is still under warranty... Or else I have to pay for it... In your case, if it was tampered, you better look for a new one...
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 1,539
    I was wondering y there are 3 cats on this car
    For emissions.
    and if i take the front 2 off will it be able to pass smog if the back cat is brand new.
    No, any alterations to the exhaust are illegal and any missing parts are an automatic fail.
    and does anyone know which one of the 3 fails the most.
    Usually the rear one.
  • How can you tell if a cat is clogged? If a cat is clogged can it rob horse power and gas milelage?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    No, any alterations to the exhaust are illegal and any missing parts are an automatic fail.

I'm not so sure about that. If you were to replace the cats with high-flowing cats that still allowed the vehicle to pass emissions and no CELs then it would not be illegal. You cannot remove them however if the emissions would increase due to it.

-mike
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 1,539
    Ok, I made my statement too broad I guess.
    Only approved replacment parts may be used, which some cat back systems and high flows are approved.
    Removing a cat would be a violation.

Removing the pre-cats/mini-cats on his vehicle would be a violation.

If there is no DEQ inspection, then that may be a different story for them. Federal guidelines talk about alterations, removal and that, but their state may have other guidelines that they go by.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 9,079
    I was looking at the Magnaflow web site and according to them it will boost my hp by 11 and increase torque almost as much. Plus it has a nice sound.

My question, is there any downside to these systems such as lower gas mileage? Would the intake need to be modified in any way?

2015 Mustang GT, 2009 PT Cruiser, 2004 Chevy Van, 1995 Mark VIII

• okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    well the way it works with me is the better it sounds the faster i drive it and the fuel mileage seems to follow a downward trend. but if it sounds cool thats what your buying you will never feel the hp or torque at 11 anyway
    There is no horsepower inside a muffler. The most HP gain would be from no muffler at all. These mufflers would only increase your horsepower if your stock system were heavily restricted. If this is a cat-back system only I think those numbers are very optimistic indeed. If you are installing exhaust headers, free-flow catalytic and mufflers, then yeah, you might get 8-10 HP on a large displacement engine.