2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Lexus ES 350

Comments

• Options
    rangerwalkerrangerwalker Member Posts: 18
    On Lexus.com, right side under What's New, there is a Preview of the new ES, including photos, model info and a video from the auto show. It lists the colors, but does not have color previews.
  • Options
    dp5dp5 Member Posts: 55
    Thanks for all of your help. It would be nice to start narrowing down acceptable color choices but it sounds like he made a mistake. I was invited to an unveiling at a local hotel on the 5th but my wife and I will be on vacation that week. The salesman assures me that they will have a couple of cars at the dealership on Monday, 03/10, when I get back. He said that they won't be for sell but can be looked over and test driven. He also tells me that he will have firm pricing at that time and would be able to look up the allocation of cars that was coming to their dealership for delivery about 2 weeks later. Let's hope he's right. If this car is as good as I think it will be, I'm ready to pull the trigger.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Yup, you are correct. It seems like they aren't quite ready to publicize this vehicle to the general public. Hence, it is lumped together with "What's New". Hopefully, by next month we will know more about the car. Can't wait for it to be released.
  • Options
    bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    I hope your dealer's right that the car will be arriving at dealer's stores early April for test drives, etc. But apparently this is the same guy who told you (eroneously) that the Lexus website now had the new ES pictured in all colors available. That was wrong, so let's hope he's right on this one. I'll take it with a grain of salt, however, because several dealers in my area said late April.
  • Options
    dp5dp5 Member Posts: 55
    You are right. I'm reluctant to believe everything he says because he obviously was mistaken about the color preview. However, I have a fancy printed invitation to the 03/05 unveiling and this leads me to believe that they may be getting some cars in. We'll see.
  • Options
    nedb52nedb52 Member Posts: 10
    My dealer (Annapolis MD) called and told me pricing will be available 4/15 and they will have a car 4/21.
  • Options
    misspissedmisspissed Member Posts: 2
    DEFINITELY buy the Chrysler 300C. My husband got one of the first ones available in Austin TX and WE LOVE IT. BEST CAR EITHER OF US HAS EVER OWNED. Last month I had to replace my car and we bought the Lexus ES330 (that was the 2nd choice to the Chrysler 300C). BIG MISTAKE!! Edmunds reports that it takes regular fuel but it takes premium. After riding/driving the Chrysler 300C for the past year, I'm spoiled. The Lexus just doesn't compare to the Chrysler 300C. But don't buy the Chrysler 300. Make sure you get the hemi. It's powerful but very fuel efficient -- great gas mileage!!
  • Options
    psychdocpsychdoc Member Posts: 147
    ..."Great gas mileage" from that hog of an engine???

:confuse:

Whatever drugs you're on, you really need to start sharing. I have a friend who has one and he tells me he's lucky to get 13mpg on average. Compare that to the ES330 which gets about 20mpg on average. And even though they say to use premium, you can use regular and you won't even notice a difference.

Want to talk about reliability?

Resale value?

I gotta give you credit though....that was a scream of a post.

I haven't read anything that funny in a long time.

Get some rest, you may come to your senses once you've had a good sleep!

;)
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I distinctly remember Lexus of Nashville-North telling me that the ES330 will run on regular but that premium is recommended.

Between the 300 and ES330, I'd take the ES any day. Not because it's a Lexus, but because it will have better resale, probably better reliability, it's more efficient, and it's easier to park.

Am I one of the few people who actually liked the look of the 2002-2006 ES?
  • Options
    Those chromed, swept back headlights were quite striking in thei day.

The thing that always bugged me about the look of the 2002/6 ES was the hanging muffler pipe underneath the undercarridge of the car. Even though I know it was designed to hang there, from the back it always looked like it was about to fall down.

They've rectified that on the ES350.
  • Options
    acctprofacctprof Member Posts: 41
    Am I one of the few people who actually liked the look of the 2002-2006 ES?

You are not alone. I owned a 2004 ES and loved it. It got 17-18 mpg in town and 29-30 on the highway. The only things I didn't like had nothing to do with ride or reliability.

I wanted steering wheel controls for A/C and radio, lumbar control on the passenger seat, and an extension on the sunvisor. There is a movable sunvisor on my wife's '06 RX plus the steering wheel controls. I'm looking forward to seeing the ES350.

Len
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "The Lexus just doesn't compare to the Chrysler 300C."

You're right- aside from being in a same MSRP bracket the two are very different vehicles. The Lexus is refined, has better materials quality, reliability record, resale value, ride, warranty, customer service, etc. The 300C is much quicker, and handles better. Note, however, the 300C will not be MUCH quicker than the upcoming ES350.

~alpha
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It may not really matter to most people looking at ES350s since that car should be more than quick enough, but I bet the Hemi 5.7 V8 will still be noticeably faster.
  • Options
    tds1tds1 Member Posts: 74
    Does anyone know if the ES350 has the same metallic appearing instrument gauges that are currently in the GS (sounds like the GS ones are machined aluminum)? I can't tell from the ES350 photos and was wonding if anyone has noticed IRL.
  • Options
    nedb52nedb52 Member Posts: 10
    Len,
    Did you burn Reg. or Prem. fule?
  • Options
    The guages are not brushed metallic as in the GS. They are updated a bit from the ES330 but are still pretty much the same appearance.

Very nice, I think.
  • Options
    acctprofacctprof Member Posts: 41
    Did you burn Reg. or Prem. fuel?

I burned the mid-grade and still got great mileage.

Len
  • Options
    gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    Anyone have a sense of what a good discount would be on an '06 ES330 now? I've been offered only 5% off MSRP as the "opening" offer - seems really paltry for end of model year pricing. What kind of discounts did Lexus typically offer during the "December to Remember" sales promotion? Is it likely that deals on remaining '06 inventory (if any) will get MUCH better once the '07 models hit the showroom? And does anyone else think that the '07 interior looks cut-rate after all the wood they've removed compared to '06? Lastly, now that leather seats will be optional on the ES350, how can Lexus seriously claim to be "holding the line on prices" for the ES350?
  • Options
    At a midwest car show today, Lexus guy said that the ES350 will go on sale on April 22. Probably be available for test drives a few days before that.
  • Options
    My advice is to forget the '06 ES330 and wait a few weeks for the new model. It represents a quantum leap in quality over the current model and well worth the few thousand bucks additional you would have to pay for it. Plus your dealer is offering you only 5% off list. That's ridiculous. Three weeks before a new model comes out they should be giving you the car at invoice, which is probably $4,500-$5,000 below sticker (my guess).
  • Options
    Rule of thumb on dealer cost is about .8 of the MSRP. So a $40,000 car has about $8,000 worth of "wiggle room" in it. There's 20% they can play with.

An offer of only 5% below MSRP on a car that they'll soon be virtually giving away is an insult.

I would have laughed in his face and told him I'd see him in about 4-6 weeks. After the ES350 hits.

He'll be begging you to take one off his hands for $1,000 over cost!
  • Options
    If they planned their prodiction properly for year end, they won't have so many left over '06s left over to need to give them away at invoice (which also hurts resale value).
    Of course they will have to discount them enough that there is adequate reason to take an '06 over an '07.
  • Options
    Any other manufacturer would probably be giving hefty discounts on a discontinued car. However, Lexus dealers are so busy, they're selling so many cars at huge markups with little discounting that they can still get a good price for an outgoing ES330.

As GM and Ford fade, and as Toyota/Lexus just keep pouring it on with advanced designs, state-of-the-art engines, fabulous reliability--they can pretty much hold prices high. I've had several Lexus salesmen not even bother to respond to my e-mail when I asked for a substantial discount on this or that model. These guys are really in the driver's seat. They're not exactly like BMW dealers who act like they're doing you a favor by selling you a car, but Lexus, politely, is doing the same thing.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    This is a terrible price- even a YEAR AGO when there was no sign of an ES350, if I had wanted an ES330 I could have easily picked one up for cost or a thousand over cost.

The Lexus dealer I test drove the ES330 at never made me an offer but other posters in the ES330: Prices Paid discussion report paying far less than 5% below sticker.

I'd say wait a few weeks and then the dealership will be begging you to take an ES330, maybe even at a loss. Plus, waiting will give you a chance to try on the ES350 and see if you like it or not. If you do, I'd gladly pay a little extra for the ES350 and if you don't like the ES350 then it may be easier to negotiate a bigger discount on the ES330.

This "Wait and have the dealership beg you to take their car" mentality of mine must come from Nashville's calm luxury car market where it was easy for me to get a big discount on an outgoing model... :D
  • Options
    misspissedmisspissed Member Posts: 2
    The Chrysler 300C really does get GREAT gas mileage. I'm always on the road between Dallas and San Antonio and get about 25 mpg on highway. When the 4 cyls kick in (which is why it is such a gas saver), you can't even tell the difference and when you need the power, the 8 cyls kick in and off we go. Love it! As for reliability: no complaints, not one (so far).

You have a good point about resale value; however, Lexus has so many cars on the road they're starting to look like a Ford (coming and going in every direction). Of course that tells you how popular the Lexus is and has had a good name for a long time. But when it comes to supply and demand, I guess we'll find out someday. I've owned a number of Chryslers in the past and always did pretty good when I traded in. Hope I do as good on my Lexus - when the time comes. One of the reasons I bought the Lexus is their reputation for reliability.

Thanks for your response. I was surprised that anyone read it! ;)
  • Options
    At a midwest auto show last weekend, the Lexus salesman said prices on the ES will top off at about $45,000 (probably for the ultra lux package, etc). Nicely equipped (probably with the mid-lux package) will be around $38,000. Those are the ballpark figures.
  • Options
    Obviously, he is just guessing prices and anyone could guess ballpark figures in that range, but it sounds feasible that will be priced somewhere around the same price range as the outgoing ES330 plus additional cost for options that were previously unavailable.
  • Options
    midridermidrider Member Posts: 3
    The3 pricing sounds about right, I went to the ES 350 Preview Yesterday in Houston and , I must say the car looked much more refined and had great new stling, its alittle bigger and has alot of upgrades over the 330, my wife really liked it now if I can get it at a fair price that s the next phase
  • Options
    ....I was just speaking to Long Island's Smithtown dealership and they said that the car will be in the showroom 4-21.

Amazingly, they still don't have pricing.

Go figure!?

:confuse:
  • Options
    Chicago Lexus dealer also said the same date. So looks like the national introduction of the ES350 will be on Friday, April 21--two weeks from today.
  • Options
    Now let's hear from everyone about when they figure to have a 350 in their garage.

For me, I'm figuring no later than 5-15.

lol

:shades:
  • Options
    It'll be fun to search for a deal. My goal is by 12/31. My guess is that soon it will be discounted like GS. Too many new Lexus models to choose to keep prices at list for long.
  • Options
    I wish I had that kind of self control.

Wait 8 months?

Not a prayer.

This baby (the ES350) is a winner!!!
  • Options
    Self control? Nahhh. I'm too cheap is what it is! Agree the car looks like a winner though.
  • Options
    caseyes330caseyes330 Member Posts: 7
    I received the following pricing information from my local dealer.
    Base price with shipping $33,865.00
    Premium Package $35,145.00
    Premium Plus Package $36,345.00
    Ultra Luxury Package $39,245.00
    I looked at the Lexus web site and these prices have not yet been posted.

After looking at these prices I think I will be waiting till fall (hopeing for a discount!!)
  • Options
    Ultra lux package for under $40k??!!

A steal.

In a world where a BMW 5 series comes mighty close to $60k with options (with a 3.0 V-6), this is a steal. Hell the ultra-boring Acura RL costs $50k.

For that price I might go out and buy two.

How do they do it?

Swiveling headlights, Bluetooth, 272hp, keyless entry/start, ipod connectivity, state of the art nav system, backup camera, radar based cruise control, electric rear windowshield shade, xenon headlights, heated and A/C'd front seats, dual power front seats both with memory....all in a very pretty package with legendary lexus reliability, resale value and customer pampering.

Can you spell "W-I-N-N-E-R?"

Did these guys miss a trick?

I sure don't think so.

And for under $40k!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    That over-the-top excitement sounds like an ad or something a salesperson would post.
    It is an incremental improvement over the new Camry that tops out at about $32K with all factory-installed options.
    Did you really expect them to price the ES350 even remotely close to a similarly-equipped BMW 5-series?

I think this pricing could be correct since it sounds plausible, but it is really just some person on the internet posting what they claim they "received" from a dealer.

I read on another site that the Ultra Luxury Package is always bundled with the additional cost Nav/Mark Levinson package and park assist and will have a MRSP of just under $44K the way you would find it equipped in dealer stock.
  • Options
    "Over the top" you say?

I say not.

Not by a long shot.

I've driven the 2006 530Xi twice and while it drives nicely, it can't even hold a candle to this car in every other respect. That car is lagging at least 10 years technologically when compared to the ES350.

Unless I was planning on going out and selling these cars the day after I got them (then the BMW would have an edge as it starts out costing almost $20k more), I'd take the ES in a heartbeat if it was just a question of which was the better car.

"Over the top" is not so over the top when what you're saying and suggesting is true.

Don't ever forget, the absolute defense to a charge of libel or slander is that what has been said is true.

In this case, every word I said is true.

The ES is a far superior car to the BMW 5 in virtually every automotively relevant category.

Game, set, match, my friend.
  • Options
    Your estimate of the ultra-lux package, $39,245, might be low. That puts it less than $3,000 above the premium plus package, but it includes NAV (which alone is usually about $2,000), panarama glass roof, upgraded leather, power sunshade, rear side airbags, wood/leather steering wheel and shift knob, 17" graphite finish wheels, etc.

I hope your guy is right, but a Lexus salesman at last week's midwest car show estimated about $45,000 for top of the line.
  • Options
    The nav is not included, but is bundled with the UL at additional cost. Maybe under $40K could be the theoretical price, but not the actual price since you can't get the UL package without also paying for the Mark Levinson and Nav package and park assist.
  • Options
    And, while we're at it, want to compare the new ES to the M-B 350?

The M -B is tinny sounding, the interior is spartan to the point of being inhospitable and the fit and finish is a joke. The nav system is at least five years behind the time (no touch screen, you have to input the addresses with a little wheel, archaic) and it, too costs $55-60k.

A complete joke.
  • Options
    ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    "The ES is a far superior car to the BMW 5 in virtually every automotively relevant category."

If your definition of "every automotively relevant category" includes true sport/sedan feel and driving pleasure, I would hardly compare a FWD Lexus to a RWD BMW :P

Now as far as reliability, luxury appointments and features, technological advances and comfort is concerned, the Lexus ES IMO wins over the BMW 5. ;)
  • Options
    OK, so let's see.

On one side we have that nebulous, amorphous quality we'll just call "true sport/sedan feel and driving pleasure" while on the other we have superior horsepower, "reliability, luxury appointments and features, technological advances and comfort."

Hmmm.

Now which is the better car (price independant)?

Now want to go with "price dependant?"

'Cause at that point it becomes pretty much a joke.
  • Options
    That is similar to what has been posted at another site:
    Base w/Destination: $34,059
    Premium Package: $1,280
    Headlight: $815
    Nav: $2,650
    Premium Plus: $2,480
    Ultra Luxury: $5,380
    Nav/Mark Lev: $4,050
    Park Assist: $500
    Wood trim Wheel/shift: $330
    Full Size spare: $205
    Heated Seats: $640

Again, I am just relaying what is posted elsewhere, but it sounds like we are getting pretty close to what the pricing will be.
  • Options
    caseyes330caseyes330 Member Posts: 7
    What web site did you get your information from?
  • Options
    I'm sure it is one of the web sites you are forbidden to mention on this web site.
    You will need to look it up.
  • Options
    On the Lexus Preliminary Product Information sheet that I have, the NAV/backup camera is included in the Ultra-Lux Package.

In fact, let me list the options included on both the Premium Plus and the Ultra-Lux Packages

Premium Plus Package:
    Power Cushion Extender (driver)
    Rain-sensing wipers
    Heated/Vent. Seats
    Front-Seat Memory (passenger) (driver included in Prem.)
    Full-Size Spare

Ultra-Lux Package:
    Panorama Roof
    Upgraded Leather
    17" Graphite Wheels
    Power Rear Sunshade
    Wood/Leather Wheel/Shift Knob
    HID/AFS
    NAV/Backup Camera
    Rear Side Airbags
    All Options Under Premium Plus
  • Options
    It's not necessarily true that the NAV will be bundled with Mark Levinson. Lexus equips their cars differently for different regions of the country. It's possible that in some regions, NAV will be available separately, in other regions, you'll have to get both to get one. Same for other options. And then of course, if you're willing to wait 3 months, you can order the car pretty much the way you want it.
  • Options
    I was not saying that nav is always bundled with ML, but it looks like it is when you get the ultra-lux package.
    It would seem that people getting the ultra-lux package are people wanting a loaded car anyway, so it shouldn't be a big issue.
  • Options
    Other info from an unmentionable web site says:

UL
    ULTRA LUXURY PACKAGE-Includes PREMIUM PLUS PACKAGE plus
    Panorama Glass Roof, Perforated Leather Seats, Power Rear sunshade,
    Wood and Leather Steering Wheel and Shift Knob, Rear Side Airbag, High-
    Intensity Discharge Headlamps (HID) w/ Adaptive Front Lighting System
    (AFS), Unique 17” Alloy Wheel with 215/55R17 Tire and Spare $5,380

VN
    NAVIGATION/MARK LEVINSON PACKAGE-Includes Lexus Generation 5
    Navigation System w/ Voice Recognition, 14-Speaker AM/FM Tuner w/
    Cassette and 6-Disc In-Dash CD/DVD Changer and Voice-Activated
    Wireless Bluetooth Hands-Free System $4,050

They are separate and over $9K combined.

Logically it makes no sense your way because of the pricing of the options separately vs the cost of the ultra-lux package including the nav system.

BASE ES 350 (Includes Destination, Trunk Mat, Wheel
    Locks & Cargo Mat) $34,059

DC
    Bluetooth Audio-Voice-Activated Wireless Bluetooth Hands-Free System $300

FJ
    215/55R17 Summer Tires N/C

PM
    PREMIUM PACKAGE-
    Includes Leather Seats; Key Fob-Activated Front
    Driver’s Seat, Steering Wheel and Exterior Mirror Memory $1,280

HL
    High-Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps with Adaptive Front Lighting