Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Lexus ES 350

Comments

• Options
    obrinksobrinks Member Posts: 9
    Chief,
    There's a small picture of the spoiler and wind deflector on the Lexus website in the accessories section. I'm waiting on mine (the car) and I plan to add those items two accessories as well as the body side molding. It's going to be "The Bomb".
  • Options
    danxpdanxp Member Posts: 47
    does this car have a remote starter? i know that the camry has this available as a dealer-installed option... it'd be nice to have this for the lexus as i don't have a garage...
  • Options
    obrinksobrinks Member Posts: 9
    You can get those on the aftermarket anywhere.
  • Options
    pojoepojoe Member Posts: 25
    Longo Lexus In El Monte, Calif. Got delivery today
  • Options
    dwongswongdwongswong Member Posts: 62
    My Lexus salesman called me today to let me know that the ES350 was in. I went by after work to see if it looked as good in person as what's in the brochure. I sat in it but could not drive it, because the cars were not prepped yet. They had a white, a gold, and a black one with all the same package (premium package with summer tires, full size spare, bluetooth, and wood steering wheel. The front looked very nice, but the side and rear looked plain to me. Maybe with body side molding and a rear lip spoiler, it will look better. The inside was very luxurious. I can't wait until Saturday to drive it. I'll let you know how it turned out.
  • Options
    Salesmen called today and can pick mine up Thurs.ultra pkg..
  • Options
    dp5dp5 Member Posts: 55
    This is the package I'm getting. What int/ext colors did you choose?
  • Options
    Tungsten pearl and black Int, have a 2002 same color aqnd It never shows dirt. And you?
  • Options
    I'm not sure yet. The only color choices available if I want a car in this first allocation is a golden almond metallic w/ cashmere interior or a smokey granite w/ light grey interior. I'm sure these colors would be fine but I'll probably pass and wait on the next allocation due to arrive in another 2-3 weeks.

My favorite colors are the tungsten pearl and the moon shell mica for the very reason that you mentioned; they rarely look dirty. As a wild card, I also like the pictures of the ruby metallic and this is a long shot option, as well.

Please post pictures and your impressions of the car when you take delivery. It is killing me to wait another few weeks but I think I want to look at all the colors before deciding and then I'll have to wait for an ultraluxury in one of the color combinations that I want.

Congratulations on your purchase!
  • Options
    Dont settle for anything less then what you want and you will never be sorry. No matter how long It takes.
  • Options
    cc3088cc3088 Member Posts: 10
    Pojoe.....You mention the car you ordered is an "Ultra". I stopped by the Desert Lexus in Palm Springs this afternoon to look at the nine cars that arrived this morning (they sold three of them before close). The sticker was $43,389. They aren't discounting. I checked around at another dealer and the price quoted was $44,084. They will discount $500. Can you say what deal you were able to secure for yours? I am interested in an Ultra also, with chrome wheels. One dealer quoted $1995 for the wheels, another $2995. Hard to believe there's a thousand dollar difference in a quote for wheels!
  • Options
    I paid 43489..500 AAA discount ultra luxury pkg. Not sure about the wheels you want
  • Options
    Thanks. That tracks mostly with what I've found out in my search...and with the Lexus web site. Enjoy your new car!
  • Options
    jfrick76jfrick76 Member Posts: 5
    dp5 and pojoe:

Is tungsten pearl white or silver/tan? The color swatches on Lexus' website can be deceiving of the real color.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Silver. Mine will be black interior
  • Options
    morrismmorrism Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    Im going to test drive this pm.does all ultra pkg has mark levenson stereo.?.Are leasing or buying?Thanx
  • Options
    Yes to question. Im buying
  • Options
    embee1embee1 Member Posts: 2
    drove the ES350 at westside lexus in houston today and am totally amazed. I am totally sold on this car from the interior. premium plus package with navigation was the seller. comfort beyond compare and you don't have to spend over 70G's to enjoy. the new 3.5 engine was flawless and the pickup was unbelievable for a entry level luxury vehicle. Was torn between a BMW330i and es350. different cars on different levels except pricing and for the money lexus has this hands down.
  • Options
    nedb52nedb52 Member Posts: 10
    embee1
    how much do you have to pay? - if you don't mind saying, that is. :confuse:
  • Options
    zorro16zorro16 Member Posts: 31
    hi guys,

don't you people think that the optional packages as seen on edmunds,kbb and lexus websites are a bit confusing .

i haven't been yet to the dealer. i dont know what do they have on their window stickers.

on the lexus website take the last option -- Premium Plus Package with Additional Options, no where it says about the large sunroof and no where it says about the UL package as the edmunds says. and the kbb says two kinds of options,one before and one after 05/06

which one to follow???
  • Options
    tnfantnfan Member Posts: 18
    First one in Nashville. Wife happened to be at the dealer when first delivery came in. She got the pick of the litter! Car is Tungsten Pearl with gray interior. A little strange as to how it was optioned out. Came with Premium Package and Nav. Had add on options of 17" summer tires, heated & ventilated seats, HID w/AFS, and Power Rear Sunshade. No rain sensitive wipers. Why they didn't just put on the Premium Plus package is puzzling as it would have included all these options. Priced out at just a little over 40k with the 695.00 delivery.

Awesome car! My first Lexus after driving a 2000 BMW 740il for the last 4 years and Cadillacs prior to that. Really suprised at the power and quiet ride. Love the body style and color. :)
  • Options
    dvt56dvt56 Member Posts: 6
    I've been waiting to drive this car since December, and the wait was worth it. I was bent between the 350 and the Infiniti M35. Big difference in price,but M35 can be a bit of a gas hog. Also,the power sunshade can only be included with the 10K package. Way too much to pay to keep cool. At any rate, the 350 is the better price value,softer ride, better gas mileage and of course, I got my sunshade. Live in TX where the shade works overtime in the summer. Got $500 off, a free tint job, and a very generous trade-in offer. Bought the Black/Tan Leather/Premium Plus Pkg/Nav WELL WORTH THE WAIT !!!!
  • Options
    tnfantnfan Member Posts: 18
    There is a port in the console storage for MP3/IPOD player. Definitely not a USB port. Anybody know what type of cable I need to interface with my IPOD? Thanks in advance for your assistance.
  • Options
    dvt56.....I pick up mine on Monday. I got the Ultra Luxury with parking assist (that's the way it came in), but they too gave me a nice trade in plus $500 off. I had been wanting the tinted windows but never brought it up in negotiation. Wish now I had. Can you tell me what the tint priced out at, at your dealer?
  • Options
    Zorro16, I agree with you, the pricing is confusing. In fact the pricing and options section of the web site does not even track consistently with the "Build you Own" link. THEN, I discovered if you go in and type another zip code from areas across the country, the packages vary. In fact, in Kansas City and St. Louis, the web site indicates the Ultra Luxury isn't even available. But it is (I got one).
  • Options
    iycrraiycrra Member Posts: 24
    Test drove one today. Nice ride. Quiet. Better interior than previous model. But BIG!

It's got nice features but most of these are add-ins(options) unless you get Ultra-Premium. Sticker $43,800.

I'm still weighing between ES350 or TL. TL is about $10 K cheaper if you factor in their financing deal of 2.9%. 272 hps vs. 258 hps - I can't tell the difference. ES has keyless entry and push-botton start feature, which is nice. ES 21-30 vs TL 20-29 MPG.

So I wouldn't mind paying $4-5 K more for ES. But $10 K? I'm not so sure.

Does anyone know of service charges as far as oil change and minor services on Acura and Lexus? I'd appreciate it.
    :D
  • Options
    kmmcgrakmmcgra Member Posts: 7
    I picked up a Belkin mini audio cable at Wal-Mart to use my IPOD with this port. Works well. Both side are the same mini connector. They have them at Radio Shack too.
  • Options
    psychdocpsychdoc Member Posts: 147
    You raise a good point.

And going back 5-6 years I would say that these two cars were direct competitors. No longer, I'm afraid. In pretty much every conceivable respect the ES is simply in a clear class above the venerable TL. Don't get me wrong, the TL is a decent little car, but "little" is the operative word here. It is cramped and simply can't compete at this level. It's essentially a competitor to the Maxima or a tripped out Camry. For the money its not a bad buy but there really is no longer any valid comparison the the ES. Certainly not with the introduction of the ES350.
  • Options
    mr68mr68 Member Posts: 7
    I live in dallas where did you buy?
    and how much did you pay?
    also is it very quiet and does the stereo sound ok or
    have you heard the ml system.
  • Options
    iycrraiycrra Member Posts: 24
    I'm not disputing your point of ES being clear class above TL. Lexus people are touting that this all-new redesigned ES is not conservative and more sleek looking. I'll give them that. But when I was test driving, I felt "old". When I said it drove BIG. I mean as I was making a right turn, I drove over the corner curve and didn't even see it. I consider myself as a very good driver. I felt like driving a domestic car.

I'm 36 years old and has a small kid. I mean, it has a lot of leg room in the back seat. It is ideal for a family of 3-4. It has nice Mark Levinson sound system. Very nice. But I was surprised to see a lot of plastic trim (ie, door panel) in interior.

Overall, it's a very beautiful car. Again, I'll pay $4-5 K over TL. But not $10-15K. I don't think ES350 is worth $45 K.

I would feel good about paying $32k + 2.9% financing for TL. But not $43k for ES350 + 6.9%. I think that's what it boils down to.

By the way, I called one of the dealers in CA, and he said he can knock off $1,500 from sticker. He will give me 2 K off if I wait a couple of more months.
  • Options
    bobbyshredbobbyshred Member Posts: 44
    I've been waiting to drive this sucker for months. Our dealer has none yet. My car has been on order for over a month. I'd love to get it this week!!!
    I just had open heart surgery and am really in pain and messed up. I almost didn't make it. But I'd love to struggle through the pain and go up there and have someone drive it home for me. i hope these cars start flooding in!
  • Options
    Yep, they banned me over there for defending someone guessing prices. Knuckleheads!
    Do you notice that the post has died without me? Nothing posted for almost two weeks.
    I have the actual Aquamarine Blue pic and some other stuff I wanted to post there.

Anyway I did order the body side molding. They tried to talk me out of it but I know the drivers around here and didn't want a million little dings.
  • Options
    cleblanccleblanc Member Posts: 45
    Hi...yes I noticed the thread dies and wondered why you weren't posting anymore.
    Why did they try and talk you out of the body side molding? I was planning to wait til September to get mine but now I'm going to buy this weekend. I am planning to get the Royal Ruby with cashmere interior - Premium Plus package with navigation. I wanted to also get the body side molding for the same reasons but I don't think it's available til summer. I also thought about the rear spoiler. Do you know when your car is coming in yet? Mine should be here in May. I decided to end my lease early rather than go over on my miles and because the car will be out of warranty if I keep it so that's why I'm buying the ES350 sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Coincidence. I also test drove the new ES. It's a beautiful car and the rear camera on the NAVI is fantastic, a real safety feature that will probably become almost universal in the next few years.

It has the traditional gorgeous Lexus interior and has the traditional whipped cream ride of a Lexus. However, just as you said, when driving it, I also felt old. (When I drove the TL a few minutes later, I felt young. But the TL interior seemed cheap by comparison. And it seemed noisier and less well put together.) The ES also felt very big in turns, almost unwieldy. The GS, by comparison, feels smaller (in a good way) and more agile. But for what it is--a big domestic boulevard cruiser--it probably has no match.
  • Options
    neno8403neno8403 Member Posts: 49
    As debated on a thread on another website the general consensus seems to be the body side-moldings don't have any beneficial usefulness and I agree. I have a 2002 Camry with the side-moldings and I have dings on both of my front doors. Moldings do nothing because different vehicles have different heights and no one vehicle has doors that will automatically line up with where your side-moldings are placed. If a hummer parked next to you and the driver swung the door open you'd better believe that your side-moldings on the much smaller and lower positioned ES350 won't protect against that. Its just a waste of money. Body side-moldings are nice for cosmetic reasons but if you are naive enough to think that they will protect you against dings then more power to you.
  • Options
    dvt56dvt56 Member Posts: 6
    I bought it in Austin. I did however, shop it in Houston, and the West Houston (Katy Fwy)and North Houston
    I-45 were 'very flexible'. The North Houston guy offered my $500 off the minute I walked in. If you need any contact names, let me know. You could shoot down 45 and pick up the 500+ or use it as leverage in Dallas. Hell, you could bop on in on Southwest (for pennies) and test drive it home. I'll bet that Dallas dealers will soon join
    the fray. After all, they want to move merchandise. Ain't gonna tell you what I paid...but they got my order, didn't they?
  • Options
    from_flfrom_fl Member Posts: 113
    Have you tried the new IS with paddle shifter?
  • Options
    I am looking at purchasing this vehicle as soon as I can find an Ultraluxury car in the color combination that I want. However, there is one thing that concerns me. I notice that there is a transmission issue in the 2007 Toyota Camry that only affects the Camry's that share the same transmission as the Lexus ES 350. There is a thread specifically devoted to this problem here on Edmunds and a Toyota representative has been posting on this thread. I've twice asked this Toyota rep via post if the issue could potentially affect the ES 350 since they share the same 6 speed transmission and have not received a response. This is extremely worrisome to me given the past transmission problems that the ES has experienced. I'd have been satisfied if the Toyota rep had responded and just said "No, the ES 350 is not affected" but their refusal to answer one way or another is bothering me. Does anyone else have any information about this potential problem.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    For what its worth, it seems to be a manufacturing issue, not an inherent design issue, and I belive (IIRC) that all of the affected Camrys were Georgetown produced, which the ES is not.

~alpha
  • Options
    yelorzyelorz Member Posts: 1
    A few of my neighbors have ES's and they use regular unleaded. However, the ES 350 calls from premium unleaded. Can I use regular anyway, just use premium sometimes, or what??? Don't know what I should do. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    tmsusatmsusa Member Posts: 81
    This issue pertains to the 2007 Camry with V6 engine and 6-spd auto transmission dp5. The new 2007 Lexus ES350 sedans were released this week and are on their way to Lexus dealers now.

All of the ES350s vehicles have undergone extensive QA testing--consistent with the Lexus brand--and were confirmed to meet Lexus quality standards prior to release.

If you're thinking of buying one, you'll love it! Thanks.
  • Options
    sortersorter Member Posts: 146
    TMS pay you to do this? So you are a team, not one person?
  • Options
    tds1tds1 Member Posts: 74
    I am not sure I totally agree with comparing an Ultra luxury ES350 to a TL(though I will admit I am not an expert on the every feature of both cars). The Ultra-luxury package includes features not offered on the TL (such as panoramic sunroof, park assist, etc). I priced out a well equipped ES350 which I consider to be equivalent to the ES350 at around $39,500. The Ultralux package (to me) goes above and beyond what is offered on the TL. I would expect that by the end of the summer, discounts of $1500-2000 may be possible. So, I think your real price difference is around $4500 for equivalent cars.
    Of course, I don't think there are a ton of people cross shopping these cars. They are a very different driving experience so I would think that would affect decisions more so than price.
  • Options
    Thanks,TMSUSA. I appreciate the reassurance.

I test drove this car today. Overall, I was extremely impressed. The interior felt very spacious compared to my 2000 ES. I don't know if it is actually that much bigger or if it just feels that way due to the design but it seemed like a bigger car on the inside. The gauges at night were beautiful and ergonomics were good. I expected more power due to the increased HP but I was amazed at how this car pushes you back in the seat when you step on the accelerator. I could get used to that. :) I also really enjoyed all the technological gadgets. You guys who drive newer cars may already be used to them but the bluetooth, nav, push-button start, etc. were a both useful and have a high "wow" factor. I didn't get to try out the Mark Levinson stereo since the demo car wasn't equipped with one but I'm going to go ahead and get it anyway since everyone speaks so highly of it.

I'm now down to choosing colors and looking for an UL car that meets my color criteria. For those of you who haven't driven this car yet, go to the dealership this weekend and try it out. You'll be amazed.
  • Options
    dwongswongdwongswong Member Posts: 62
    I have body side moldings on my 2005 Infiniti G35 coupe, and it has help me so far. The first week after I got the car, I was parked next to a white minivan in a parking garage. When I came out from whatever I was doing, I noticed the minivan was gone and saw a white, scratch mark on the body side molding. Even though my car sits lower than the minivan, it was able to prevent a possible dent on my driver side door. Although I understand your point of view, the body side molding did help me that time. I got the body side molding for two reasons. One is that I like the way it looks on my car. Two is that it will help prevent some possible dents, but it won't protect the car from all dents. If you are looking for that, then park your car far away from everyone elses.

Please don't call people naive, because you dont agree with their opinions. They will spend their money anyway they want, because they made it themselves, not you.
  • Options
    While body side molding will not prevent EVERY ding, it will certainly absorb a good majority of dings. I don't park next to Hummers or vehicles that i think will be out of molding range. if they park there after me then it's another story. But to say molding does NOTHING is silly. I've got a lot of dings on my 92 Camry but most of the marks are on the molding.
  • Options
    I was just told be the dealer that they thought body molding ruined the look of the car. I then did notice that many new cars don't have molding but I think they look a little bare without it. I think it looks good.

As far as the Camry transmission problems they seem to be on top of it and fully aware of the problem. I'm sure they want to nip the potential problem in the bud quick. Also it has been described as a manufacturing defect but many if not most Camry's are made here in the US, where all Lexus's are made in Japan.
    So there could possibly be no defect in the Lexus.
    Who knows, maybe they discovered a defect and that's why they are taking a little time to correct them now. Whatever the problem, IF it exists in the ES it will be taken care of rather quickly. There's who knows how many parts in just a transmission alone, and we all know anything mechanical can break at any time.

Toyota and Lexus certainly aren't going to sell a lemon and cover it up, as some have suggested, and ruin their reputation.
    Some people just hate big business and consider them all crooks. They are not.

As far as MY car goes, I dunno when it will come in, I've gotten no word. I'm out of commission for a few weeks recovering from heart surgery, but I would like to see it arrive the second week of May when I'll be driving again.
  • Options
    I had open heart surgery 5 years ago so I park far away from everyone and get the needed exercise and no dings. The walk will do you good.
  • Options
    My opinion is if I'm buying a $40,000 car I'm going to put premium in it. The difference is pennies, and after all gas is VERY cheap in this country.
    (I'm sure that comment will rattle a lot of cages, but of course, it is true!)
  • Options
    I've had 7 surgeries, they don't want me walking too much so I park in handicapped if I can. But sometimes others jam you in those little spots.
This discussion has been closed.