Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Pilot 2006

Comments

• Options
    vault2vault2 Member Posts: 31
    You are offering the dealer $346 below Invoice?

05 Pilot EX-L NAV:
    Base Invoice: $30,871
    Freight: $ 550
    Total Invoice: $31,421

06 Pilot EX-L NAV:
    Base Invoice: $30,871+925 = $31,796
    Freight: $ 550
    Total Invoice: $32,346

Let us know if you wing the deal, and please post the dealer name and state.
  • Options
    Yes, running board is an option. I think it's around $450+Installation.
  • Options
    investwiselyinvestwisely Member Posts: 26
    Just drove an 06 2wd today. We did not talk pricing since I was leasing and the money factor is the standard one. Will wait for update on Oct.1. They had over 40 05's left and they did not seem to be moving. If you want to buy, the 05s are a good deal. The xm radio worked great. I asked the service advisor about issues with VCM on the Odyssey but he was not aware of any. Also, he mentioned that the 4WD drove/handled better. I brought this up with my sales person and they had no clue. I would think it does not matter in normal driving conditions. The 4wd is $1500 more than the 2wd verision. I live in Florida so 2wd should be ok.
  • Options
    imacubimacub Member Posts: 8
    I have had one dealer (I have spoken to 4) tell me this also about the 2WD. They told me if I test drove the AWD 2005, I should test drive the 2006 2WD before deciding that was what I wanted. They told me the 2WD didn't not drive or handle quite the same. Now the other 3 dealers have told me that I would not be able to tell the difference. I wonder which is true?
  • Options
    colhazardcolhazard Member Posts: 8
    Guys you really trust dealers when they tell you things? AWD is more expensive than 2WD, hmm..... should wait for feedback from actual owners who are not after your money :)
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Generally speaking, 2WD versions of AWD SUV's handle better - less unsprung weight, less driveline inertia, and less weight in general. The ride should be more supple and handling more nimble.

Of course, maybe the Pilot will buck the general rule, but I doubt it.

as colhazard says, dealers will swear the moon is made of green cheese if they think it will help sell a car.

- Mark
  • Options
    investwiselyinvestwisely Member Posts: 26
    When I inquired about 2WD vs. AWD, I asked the service person rather than the sales. The sales person, there was not any difference, except the 4 wheel engagement when necessary. The service person is the one that mention the better ride in AWD.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    is in for it too, you know. 4WD will have more parts that will eventually break down, causing you to rush into your Honda dealer for his department to make a few bucks.

For me, 2WD would be fine.
    But the Odyssey is more practical though....

I'll be waiting until the 2006 Closeout. Not too worried about depreciation since I put at least 90,000 miles on the car before it gets traded in...
  • Options
    srl99srl99 Member Posts: 37
    As the Ridgeline can tow 5000 lbs., with what seems to be the same spec.
    engine, one would imagine the tranny is the difference.

There are at least concerns about the current Pilot tranny.

Seems like it would have been a good upgrade for the Pilot in '06.

According to the spec's on the Honda web-site, towing remains 3500 trailer
    and 4500 boat trailer.

That might have pushed me to consider upgrading to the '06, but maybe we'll
    wait to see what the '07 Ridgeline brings.

--SRL
  • Options
    pdxpeterpdxpeter Member Posts: 3
    We tend to own cars for 100k+ and when I asked a dealer about an extended warranty he suggested buying the tow package instead saying the $750 for the transmission cooling upgrades was probably worth it even if you don't tow?

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    philipdphilipd Member Posts: 10
    Anybody know if Daytime Running Lights are an option on the 06??? I think it's a nice safety feature but I don't see it anywhere on the Honda website.
  • Options
    gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    The Pilot was originally designed as an AWD concept to leverage the Acura MDX AWD design - Honda has a lot more experience with the tested and proven AWD Pilot. This is the first year with 2WD - hopefully the changes they had to make were done right, but won't really be proven for a year or so of actual experience.

For those of us where there is inclement weather - snow and ice in the winter and rain in the spring and fall, AWD is the safest, and best, option.

We had a CR-V with AWD for 7 years and 135k miles and never had a drive-train related problem. I don't expect to with the Pilot either. You can worry about all kinds of things that can go wrong and may never happen - if you want to.
  • Options
    opus4opus4 Member Posts: 11
    I bought a 2006 2WD EXL this weekend for $600 over invoice. I liked the new leather, fog lights, VCM option, etc. but the real decision wasn't much of a decision, side curtain airbags as standard forced me to forgo good buys on the 2005.

BTW, I saw invoice pricing on the "confidential" sheet from the dealer. I jotted down the following:

2WD EXL $28,652
    2WD EXL RES $30,089
    4WD EXL $29,730
    4WD EXL RES $31,168
    Prices don't include $550 destination
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I think the chassis strength (specifically the unibody) and vehicle stability is the governing constraint on towing with the Hondas, not engine and drivetrain. I would presume the Ridgeline, designed more as a truck rather than a car, simply has a stronger and more stable chassis than the Pilot so it can tow more.

Vehicle stability is the main reason, I believe, that the Pilot is restricted to 3500 lbs. with non-boat trailers. The extra 1000 lbs is allowed with boats because they are more aerodynamic and therefore should not have as much a destabilizing influence on the vehicle. Honda feels that Pilot drivetrain is good to go for 4500 lbs of pulling which is within spitting distance of the Ridgeline. So the drivetrain is probably good for 5K+, and the chassis is constraining the towing limits.

- Mark
  • Options
    opus4,

I don't think the Invoce prices are right....

If I am not mistaken there was a $925 price increase on the 4WD EXL with NAV. The 2005 Invoice price with freight is $30,871+$550=$31,421. The Invoice price on the 2006 with freight (per your posting) is $31,168+$550=$31,718. The difference is $287.
  • Options
    ksyimksyim Member Posts: 7
    thanks for your kind info.

By the way, what is 'RES'?

sorry. I'm really beginner buyer. ^^
  • Options
    ksyimksyim Member Posts: 7
    Last week, I got the offer 2005 Pilot EX-L at 28,619$. The dealer said it's 970$ below invoice. (Is it right?. I live in North California.)

Originally, I thought it's pretty good deal.

but, after I read some postings in this forum, I'm not sure which is better decision between 2005 and 2006.

two questions.
    1. How much can I buy 2006 Pilot EX-L?
    2. Considering my offerred price of 28619, which is better decision? 2005 or 2006?

please give me your opinions. thanks a lot.
  • Options
    awchan13awchan13 Member Posts: 44
    So, my wife has been looking at the Pilots and MDX's for a while now. She was set on an 04 or 05 MDX...until we saw an 06 pilot. She is now in love with the pilot. Every complaint we had about the 05 pilot was fixed in the 06. The most important were the headrests. They are much more protective in the 06... Now, we just have to wait for a great deal....
  • Options
    hoshos Member Posts: 31
    Opus4, I was at a honda dealership yesterdayt here in washington state and they told me that 06 model is $760 more than last 2005 model. I asked for invoice price but they said that it was not available yet. Did they show you the real invoice? ALSO, does "RES" mean Rear Entertainment System? Anyone know of a site that shows what the dealer invoice price is on 2006 Pilot?
  • Options
    redzredz Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone of you guys purchased a new honda pilot'06 4WD EX-L with RES? Im planning to trade in my '01 Honda Accord LX. How much is a good price for 4WD EXL with RES Pilot 06? Im from MA, im a beginner buyer.Pls help me.I would appreciate it.thanks.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    I would be great if we could post pricing questions in our Honda Pilot: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion, where other members who are looking at this vehicle or have already purchased it can find them. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    RES= Rear Entertainment System

i.e. DVD player built in. Glad to help
  • Options
    berardberard Member Posts: 13
    Actually, the invoice prices quoted by opus4 are consistent with my predicted calculations. I think you misread opus4's description. The 2006 invoice price of $31,168 quoted by opus4 was for the 4WD RES model, not the 4WD NAV. So you should be comparing his figure to the invoice price for a 2005 EXL-RES ($30,422, not $30,871). So the difference is ($31,168+$550)-($30,422+$515) = $781 -- not $287.

The figure quoted by opus4 is very close to my predicted invoice price based on the following calculation. Take the ratio of the 2005 invoice to the 2005 MSRP for an EXL-RES, excluding destination: $30,422/$33,820 = .8995. Multiply this by the 2006 MSRP to get the predicted 2006 invoice price (excluding destination): $34645*.8995 = $31,163. So my predicted invoice price is within $5 of the one quoted by opus4.

Using this same approach, the predicted invoice price (excluding destination) for the EXL-NAV 4WD is: ($30,871/$34,320)*$35,245 = $31,703. With destination, this comes to $32,253.

Hope this is helpful.
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    bogiejimbogiejim Member Posts: 51
    I just received a response to an email that I sent to Edmunds over the weekend. They are telling me that they will have dealer invoice information on the '06 Pilots on their site sometime on Wednesday of this week.
  • Options
    ttak5ttak5 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone notice that 2006 Pilot has lower horsepower and lower torque ?

2005 Pilot : 255 hp @ 5400 & 250 lb-ft @ 4500

2006 Pilot : 244 hp @ 5600 & 240 lb-ft @ 4500

Lower power for 2WD with VCMT is understandable.
    But how come 4WD’s power has been downgraded ???
  • Options
    bogiejimbogiejim Member Posts: 51
    I have heard that it is the same powerplant in the '06, and the reason hp and torque have dropped are due to a change in the rating system used. I'm sure someone else will have the specifics.
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,954
    really not too many specifics. Its just the way it is. Like you said, the SAE has changed the way HP is rated, so you'll see numbers change for pretty much every manufacturer on every car. But its still the same engine and same performance as before.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    hkeinerhkeiner Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know if the standard audio system in the 2006 EX-L model will play burned CDs containing MP3 files? The Honda website indicates that both the MP3 player and 6-disc CD changer are accessories' while the specifications for the EX-L indicate that the the 6-disc CD changer is standard. The specifications do not state that an MP3 player is standard. However, the "Build and Price" link for EX-L does not provide an option for choosing an MP3 player as an accessory, which kind of indicates that MP3 capability already exists on the standard EX-L audio system. I called a few local dealers and they didn't know.
  • Options
    pdxpeterpdxpeter Member Posts: 3
    We tend to own cars for 100k+ and when I asked a dealer about an extended warranty he suggested buying the tow package instead saying the $750 for the transmission cooling upgrades was probably worth it even if you don't tow?

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    We bought our extended warranty for $745 (7yr/100k). So to spend the same amount and ONLY protect the tranny from excessive heat seems silly to me. Granted, the warranty prices have increased, i believe, but still not enough to justify NOT protecting the rest of the car in exchange for a tranny cooler.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Different rating system accounts for the drop in horsepower.

Check out those Odyssey ratings too. Same engine, down a few ponies this year.

RES= A 9" inch screen with a DVD player built into the automobile. (RES stands for Rear Entertainment System) Handy for kids on a long road trip.
  • Options
    allison5allison5 Member Posts: 130
    I am in the middle of trying to decide about getting a 06 Pilot or bigger SUV. The bigger one would probably be a Sequoia but it is so much more money, and I would think more of a gas hog. At present time I have a 04 GMC Yukon (I have the shorter one not the suburban) and I have had NOTHING but problems with it and here in Calif with gas prices over 3.00 a gallon it hurts!!! Anyway we have 3 kids ages 11 and under and a big dog that sometimes goes with us on vacation. So trying to figure out whether there is going to be enough room in Pilot with 3 kids and sometimes an extra kid or 2. We know that getting out of GMC this early after purchase will be really upside down so my husband but we'll just have to see. Main question is how much more interior room is Sequoia than Pilot? Thx ahead of time...
  • Options
    brian123brian123 Member Posts: 1
    I got an EXL for $27,900 +TTL. I landed up paying $1250 for 7 yr/82k extended warrenty and $500 for paint and rust protection. I looked up invoice for the 05 and it was much higher. What am I missing as I am sure the dealer did not extend me a good deal for nothing.
  • Options
    pilot6pilot6 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 Pilot EXL on 09.19. My first Honda, it is very roomy, and runs great. I paid 31150 + tax.
    For 2531 (31150-28619) more, I would definetly go for 2006 Pilot (One year newer and some nice new features).
  • Options
    vafolkvafolk Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 06 Pilot EX-L from Park Honda, Akron OH.
    I called Scott, sales at Park Honda in Akron, OH, and made a great deal. I flew to Cleveland, OH (I live in DC area), he picked me up from the airport (this is very nice as it takes about 50 min one-way). He has my best recommendations here. 330-644-3322.
  • Options
    berardberard Member Posts: 13
    Vafolk, please share the price you paid before tax and tags. Thanks.
  • Options
    phillybigeasyphillybigeasy Member Posts: 31
    Could you let us know what the new features are? I'm interested in seeing whether bluetooth is an added feature.
  • Options
    The manufacturer to dealer incentive of $1500 brings the dealer cost down to $28,089 on the EXL. So $189 below that isn't exactly a big loss to the dealer. And since they made several hundred bucks on the warranty and spit shine, they actually came out ahead of the game.

congrats on your new vehicle. Enjoy.

• Options
    opus4opus4 Member Posts: 11
    Yeah vafolk, how much did you pay and what clued you into Park Honda? That's who I bought from. If it was based on my post, I'm calling Scott and asking for a commission :) Better not be below $600 over invoice :mad:
  • Options
    jlee6jlee6 Member Posts: 13
    I live in Southern California (Orange County) and I need your help from someone to refer me a good dealer/sales person that will give me a great deal on a -
    2006 Pilot 2WD RES WHITE
    $2500-$3000 worth of accesories/options
    -Chrome Step
    -Chrome Exaust Tips
    -Crossbar
    -Day/Night Mirror/compass
    -Rear Splash Guards
    -Interior Wooden Trim
    -Fender Flares

Do you think I can pay a few hundred over the invoice price which is about $30,600 plus Accesories $2900 = $33500 thru $34000 plus Taxes and License to be a reasonal offer?
  • Options
    kimballrkimballr Member Posts: 3
    The cloth seemed sturdier in the 06 and I liked the pattern better than the 05. Stitching seemed tighter and more refined. A better seat overall, including comfort. We drove about 15 miles on regular streets and highway and the seat kept me well supported in turns and when braking.

I think the rear seats are a little better padded too. Best regards, Kim
  • Options
    teebeesteebees Member Posts: 2
    Interested to buy a 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L with Navigation in or around New York city. Can be from New Jersey too. Buying within 48 hours in cash and no trade in. Is it available less than 33k?
  • Options
    The invoice Price with freight is $32,796. I can refer you to a dealer in MD for $700 over+TTL if you are interested.
  • Options
    tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Hey, gbrozen!,
    What are the eligible dates of the $1500 manufacturer to dealer incentive you spoke of? Is it on the '06? All trim levels? Nationwide? Are you absolutely positive about the incentive?
    Thanks for the details!!!!,
    TagMan.
  • Options
    redzredz Member Posts: 3
    Is the pilot 06 engine and powerterrain are made in japan?
  • Options
    teebees:

I could have been incorrect on the Invoice price. Whatever the Invoice price is + $700
  • Options
    It is only on the '05s (to help dealers get rid of them).
    I am positive. You can see this incentive both at carsdirect and here on Edmunds. I don't know what date it started. And, typically, when it comes to these end of the model year incentives, they apply to the vehicle until all the remaining '05s are sold. Basically, the manufacturer sends the money to the dealer for all '05s they have sitting on the lots, and then the dealer is own their own to get rid of the vehicles.

• Options
    stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I got my CR-V from Kolbe Honda in Reseda (San Fernando Valley), but that is a long drive for you. Plus one of the reasons I recommend them is their great service department, but again, that wouldn't help much if you live in OC.
  • Options
    teebeesteebees Member Posts: 2
    Thanks.

I have a price of 32757 + tax + destination in NYC. Is this a good price? By the way, I do not see any AWD with Nav in the inventory lists. I may have to wait it seems.