Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Scion MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• To answer your question, on my sales sticker for me here in Southern California, I have 2 different sets of mileage numbers 31 to 35 this is the advertised mileage numbers from the manufacter. There is a differnet set of numbers underneath in fine print, it states epa minimum, 28 to 33. The problem with that is that I dont even get the minimum, I get 22 to 25. I would send over a scanned copy of my sticker to youe email to prove it you if I have to. I beleive you the government regulates these numbers, but I'm telling you that I have these numbers on my car.
  • I'll pull out my window sticker and take a look at that.

There is nothing to "believe" about the numbers.
    The US Government produces the figures after testing the cars, provides them to the manufacturer and says "Here are the only mileage figures you can ever use"

I do guarantee, without looking at it, nowhere does it say anything about getting a "minimum" mileage.

Everyone drives differently.

Thus, the mandated Government disclaimer that has become a cliche' in our language: "Your mileage may vary"
  • Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,092
    Let's refrain from comments concerning gender and age.

And I'm not just saying this because I'm female and old. ;)
  • But, but, but,.....why? Even Toyota markets the Scion brand via age references. ;)

Me Too - Old, but not female. But I like.....:shades:
  • jamesgang, when you say your getting 240 miles per tank, how many gallons are you putting back in to fill up?

I drive my 05 Xb hard, 10,000 miles in 4 [email protected] mph+, and never get worse than 27 mpg with the a/c blowing.

When my fuel light would come on, and I would fill up, it would only take 8 or 9 gallons.
  • I'm not the one getting so few miles. It must have been someone I replied to. :D
  • There was a gauge in the 1980's cars for gas milage I had one. It was just a vacume gauge you can buy at any auto store and hook up to your intake side. You will need about three foot of rubber vacume line. If you try to keep your foot of the gas you should be in the negitive numbers. Keep it that way and you will benifit. I was reading the kids posts and he is a lead foot or all XB's or anyother cars are all different. I always drive a couple to see if I can find one that drives the nicest. Just thought you would like the info. We are just about ready to buy our first XB. Any regreats?

Thanks,
    Rod">
  • Many years ago, my friends dad's neighbor bought a new VW bug. He was braggin' for weeks before he got it about the incredible mileage he was going to get with this new import.

After he'd taken as much bragging as he could, my friend's dad decided to get even. After the car arrived, he snuck over to his neighbor's house every night and topped up his gas tank (what can I say -- gas was cheap). After a couple of weeks, the neighbor was starting to talk to anyone who'd listen to him about his miracle car that never seemed to use a drop of gas.

Of course, pretty soon everyone in the neighborhood (including his wife) knew what was going on except him. I think they let him go on for three months or so before breaking the news.
  • I'm on my way over to the neighbor's right now. I got me some brag'n to do
  • "I have 2 different sets of mileage numbers 31 to 35 this is the advertised mileage numbers from the manufacturer There is a different set of numbers underneath in fine print, it states epa minimum, 28 to 33. "

Nowhere on my sticker does it say anything like that.
    It mentions what other cars in this classification get.
    There is absolutely nothing about any kind of "minimum" mileage mentioned nor does it say anything about getting "31 to 35".
    It quotes the city, hwy and combined mileage, which are the exact figures produced by the EPA, not Scion.
  • www.calcars.org is the website where they have that 250 mpg Prius. Datamansa
  • 1. Jamesgang, you have got to be about the funniest guy around with your post several rounds back about the criers club. I read it three times, and cracked up more every time.

2. I've got around 2000 miles on my 2006 xB. Over the 7 or 8 tanks I've pumped, mileage fluctuates by several mpg per tank, but seems to average around 29. I was told it would improve as I drove it, and it seems to be doing just that. I also am still running the a/c constantly (So. Cal desert).

3. To those who post that they are 'thinking about buying an xB' and ask for feedback, I TOTALLY LOVE my xB, and get a charge every time I climb in. It is comfortable, roomy, responsive, peppy, and eye-catching. I'd buy another in a second. It's my sixth or seventh Toyota (but I've had as many Buicks).
  • When I read this, I remembered the same thing happening in an old movie called Pete and Tillie, with (I think) Carol Burnett and Walter Matthau. Matthau and his son did it to a neighbor. They added gas to the tank each night for several weeks, then they started siphoning it OUT every night. Come to think of it, it was right after that movie they started selling locking gas caps...
  • With gas prices the way they are right now... I wish someone would play that prank on me ;)
  • Hi,

I thought this was germaine to the discussion of getting/not getting the stated MPG on the sticker. For me, I consistently average 27-29 mpg w/my tC. :D

http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_order_in- t/2/article_id_int/753
  • mnikosmnikos Posts: 31
    I just got back from a 1300 mile trip to San Francisco and back (Palm Springs). I got 32 mpg freeway without the A/C, but including driving up the Grapevine, which is a pretty steep incline. When I ran the A/C mileage dropped several MPG.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,625
    Not sure if I ever posted this here, but I have had a tC 5 speed since they first came out (7/05). Now have just over 10K on it.

My mileage seems to have settled into 23-24ish on a typical tank. This is real short-hop around town stuff, as I rarely take the car very far from home, or on any kind of highway ride of longer than a few miles. Lots of 1-3 mile local trips. So, 24+/- isn't too bad given the use I give it (my last car, a '99 Maxima 5 speed, used to get about 20-21 in the same usage).

On the rare occasion I take a trip, I get just about 29.5-30 mpg. This is usually a combo of running quick on the turnpike (75+/-), along with some NYC driving, and however much stop/go the turnpike brings. I did get 32 once heading south, but that was a little slower speed overall (65-70), without too much traffic.

So, I actually get the EPA numbers or slightly better (on a trip), and about 10% above the city figure around town.

It would be nice to get a few more MPG, but I blame the gearing more than anything else. This engine does not need to be geared so short, but it is what it is.

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

• aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    2003 Buick LeSabre, 3.8L V6, computer display of mileage:
    A steady 60 for 150 miles got 33 mpg, then 100 miles of 2-lane mountain roads sank it to 28 mpg, then 150 miles of aggressive 75-80 mph only brought it up to 29 mpg.
    Filled up after those 400 miles and checked the mileage manually at 28 mpg.

Conclusions:
    The instantaneous average mpg on the computer display was pretty accurate.
    At slow steady speed, cars need very little gas to roll along.
    Using the throttle for speed changes, hills and high speed reduces mpg a lot.
    My 3.8L Buick LeSabre: 60 mph is 1500 rpm, 33 mpg.
    My 2.6L Mazda truck: 60 mph is 2500 rpm, 30 mpg.
    Scion xB 1.5L: 60 mph is 3500 rpm (?), 34 mpg (?).

At a steady 60 mph on the Interstate, the mileage for these very different vehicles is pretty close. But aggressive driving with constant braking and accelerating wil change the mileage dramatically. To constantly accelerate the heavy Buick in city driving will drop the mpg to 15, whereas the same driving with the light Scion will only drop the mpg to 25.
  • No wonder the mileage isn't great on an XB. It's a box. Enough said. Bad aerodynamics = bad mileage, esp. on the highway. I used to own a VW microbus. Lordy, did that get crappy mileage: best of about 18, low into the low teens. It had less than 70 hp, but it was a breadbox and mpg sucked.

Best mileage car I have is slippery GM sedan -- 3600 lbs, 200+ hp and easy 30+ highway mpg...and that's at 75 to 80.

It's all about wind resistance....
  • aaarghaaargh Posts: 230
    No wonder the mileage isn't great on an XB.

How is 31 - 35MPG bad mileage? :confuse: I think it's very good mileage, especially for a 'box'. The PT Cruiser (much more 'slippery' than the XB) gets only about 26mpg.
  • at 2300 miles, 2006 xA, auto transmission, almost 50/50 city/highway, 29.7 city and 36.5 highway. Generally use cruise control on highway.
  • I believe that consistency and multiple fillups over time provide the best information. I consider it "filled-up" when the pump shuts off. If you do this ever time, any "errors" are mitigated. I also use an excel program on my palm pilot that does all the calculations. Based on coding, it either classifies the milage drive as "city" or "highway" and keeps a cumulative running total of each. Now the only variable that I can't control is the accuracy of the odometer. Honestly, I have not tried to compare it with interstate mile markers primarily because I try to stay off interstates! I really perfer back roads and non interstate multilane roads. I guess I'm sort of a numbers nut. I've always kept milage on all vehicles I owned, beginning with my 1956 English Ford Anglia many years ago!!
  • still no matter what I do... change the oil, K&N air filter, Different gas stations, etc... weather I drive fast or slow, highway or city... My tC is like death and taxes... 27.5 mpg when averaged over 3 or more tanks. The only way I see a real impact on my milage is if I have a lot of weight via passengers... one up front two or three back and my mpg goes to 25-26... I understand that the xA and xB gets good milage... My only gripe about the tC is the gear box... it really needs a 6th gear... BAD...! for the highway... has anyone seen or herd about an after market tranny that will fit the tC that has a 6th gear... or better yet just a different set of internal gears for the stock tranny?... it is a camery engine so I would guess you could get camery tranny... anyone?... :confuse:
  • What does the stereo sound like in the Xb? Do you have the sub in it? and last question does it have a good bit of tweeters and bass. Because im going to purchase an Xb and i want to know about the sound inside. :surprise:
  • mnikosmnikos Posts: 31
    I have a 2006 xB. I upgraded from the standard Pioneer CD/stereo to the one that takes the iPod. The sound is okay, though the controls could be better on the volume and the multi-use ('tuner') knobs. I don't have the subwoofer, but the rear speakers on mine have almost no sound at all; when you fade to back, the volume is almost non-existent. Don't know if it's mine in particular, or if this is a problem with the radio and/or car. On the good side, my mileage (when not using the a/c) averages around 32/33. I LOVE my xB.
  • I don't have much of an 'ear' for music - bass vs treble etc. That said, the speakers thoughout the car work fine - volume wise. I do have to readjust the settings after TheBoy drives it :)
  • I have an 05 tC 5 speed with 16500K on it, and I'm actually getting 27-28 MPG. I think the fuel economy has improved over time, because it wasn't that good at first.

Does anyone else think the car is a little quicker, and gets better mileage, with premium fuel?
  • If the engine is designed for regular gas, premium gas cannot be any benefit. Use the gas that the manual calls for.

If an engine is designed for premium gas, it should be able to tolerate regular gas due to a safety feature of its electronic ignition control. Those cars that have high enough compression to require premium gas, also have a knock sensor that retards the ignition when regular gas is used. The engine runs OK on regular, but at reduced power and efficiency.

If the tC were to run better on premium gas, it would have had to be designed to run better on premium gas, and so it would run at a disadvantage on regular gas. The tC would have to have a compression ratio that needed premium gas to maximize its potential. Its manual would explain this.