Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Scion MPG-Real World Numbers

Comments

• i agree with the other post, the rear sound is very low. i changed the headunit and rear speakers and the "staging" to the rear is still the same. must be something about the way it is wired. the front speakers do sound good. some people complain that volume is a little low for us true music lovers. i don't have that problem since i changed the stereo out with a better pioneer. also, i recoop'd some expense by selling my 06' factory pioneer on ebay for $100 :shades:
  • Thanka for the info it really helped!About the stereo
  • what does the Scion xb the engine really sound like at highway speeds because i heard its kind of loud.and does it have that get up and go sound to it. I would really like to know all of this because im getting an xb soon and i would like to know about it.
  • riposteriposte Posts: 160
    Regarding this comment: "As far as the complaints about "fraud"; The US Government EPA sets the quoted MPG figures. Manufacturers have no say in how the tests are done. They are required by law to report the figure the EPA gives them"

That is wrong. Completely wrong.

Here's something from an article on EPA fuel economy numbers from an article in the Washington Post:

"The EPA does not test vehicles for fuel economy. Instead, it issues guidelines that automakers use to test their own vehicles. Agency officials said the EPA audits 10 percent of the tested vehicles for accuracy"

Here's the link:
    "> Mileage Numbers To Reflect Reality
  • I suppose it's possible to get better mileage and power with premium fuel. That's what my Scion salesman said and claimed to have worked in fuels in the army, so maybe he knows something. It's possible that there's more energy per unit volume for the hi priced stuff. Salesman also derided Arco and Texaco fuels here in Oregon as containing ethanol, which I know has less energy that gasoline. Whether the mileage/power increase is worth the extra cost is another question.
  • Your salesman knows more about being a salesman than he knows about fuel.

Other than a 10% price difference, Do you know the difference between "premium" and "regular"?
    (Hint: is is NOT "more energy per unit volume for the hi priced stuff")
  • Gee, you probably know a lot more about gasoline than I do and maybe more than the salesman, but I can't quite see why he'd try to get me to buy a higher grade of gas. Maybe he owns stock in an energy company?

Still, the idea of different BTU content per unit volume is not a myth. Here's what a simple google will tell you - this from the State of Hawaii but I suppose I could find out even more if I really tried.

The energy content of a gallon of gasoline ranges from about 109,000 to 125,000 Btu. The average is about 114,000 Btu. The energy content of diesel fuel is between about 128,000 and 130,000 Btu per gallon (lower heating value).

If an alternate fuel has fewer Btus, your vehicle won't go as far (generally speaking). So, to go the same distance, you have to use more gallons.

Arco (around here anyway) has gas with ethanol mixed in and it has 76,000 BTU's per gallon. So, when you mix it in with gas, you get poorer mileage, eh?
  • You did not answer my question:
    "Other than a 10% price difference, Do you know the difference between "premium" and "regular"?
    (Hint: is is NOT "more energy per unit volume for the hi priced stuff")"

The only difference is the octane rating. Do you know what that is?
  • in my opinion, the motor is no louder than a toyota corolla. and yes, when you step on it you will hear the get up and go of this little engine. also mine has a cool little muffler and xb's come stock with a header type manifold on the engine- so they do sound pretty good in my opinion. i love the way mine sounds :shades:
  • You say yours has a cool little muffler and you love the way it sounds. Is that the stock muffler, or the optional performance muffler?
  • i am getting 30 to 33 mpg on the highway.i see in the forums where people are getting 20 to 25 mpg.they must be driving with the e-brake on or pulling an anchor.i drive appox. 1000 miles a week,85% highway at 70 plus mph and average 30 to 33 tank after tank.i would take the 20 to 25 mpg`ers to the dealer and have them take a look under the hood. something is not right
  • Had my xB for 2 weeks now. Just returned from a Thanksgiving road trip. Total mileage is just over 1100 miles total. Have checked the mileage from each tank of gasoline and mpg is running between 31-34 mpg. Could't be happier, especially since I had a Dodge truck that seldom passed a gas station that it didn't like.
  • It must be the performance muffler. Today I saw and heard an xB in my side mirror, several car lengths behind me. As it passed me in the next lane, it was as loud as one of those Hondas with the big cans.
  • that is the stock little chrome tipped (oval shape) chrome muffler that came on my 06' :shades:
  • i think those big chrome and stainless cans are a joke. they also change the back pressure on the engines exhaust which changes performances......it has pros and cons, but tooo noisey for me.
  • I have had 800 miles on my 06 tC (auto), and I get on average 22-23 MPG with mixed high way and city. Is this normal? would I be able to get a better MPG after the breakin period?
  • everyone i have talked to says mileage does improve (in most cases) after the break in period.
  • I've had a Scion XB for 3 months. I have about 1200 miles on it. My first tank full was only 22mpg in the city. My second tank full was 28mpg and that was highway. I was using the ac at that time. My 3rd and 4th tank averaged 25mpg they were mixed highway and city. I also watch my tire pressure. I love my car but am very upset about the mileage. I spent several months comparing cars, before I deceided to buy this "economy car". :mad: :cry: I think this is false advertising, but don't know what to do about it. :(
  • My prior post may help to answer your mileage question.

axiomowner, "Scion Owners: MPG-Real World Numbers" #78, 11 Oct 2005 2:40 pm
  • I have had about 1300 miles on my 06 tc with auto. I have been consistently getting 18/24 on city/highway, which is very disappointing. Is this normal or should I take it back to the dealer and have it checked?
  • mssmss Posts: 12
    I have a 06 tC/auto with 2,000 miles on it and I'm consistently getting 26 mpg. Of course I do 90% of my driving on the highway, but that is usually at around 80 mph. It is a little disappointing the mileage that this car gets, since I have an 03 Camry with the same engine (4 spd auto trans) and consistently get 30 mpg/Hwy. The gearing they choose for this car is geared more for performance than economy. The 5 speed is even worse, which is why I ended up with the auto.
  • In/re your comment regarding people getting low MPG figures, I agree! I don't run quite as much highway as you but I've stopped checking my mileage because after 1 year & 21k miles, it is almost exactly the same with every fill-up, 28 MPG. Dipped a hair below that just once and have recorded 32+ on trips.
    I'm not disappointed with the numbers given the balance of performance & economy. I don't baby the car and enjoy exploring its capabilities. To have all that fun and get 28 MPG as well is good enough for me.
    I can't imagine what people are doing (including car mag testers) to get 20-22 MPG. As for expectations, just because a car is small doesn't necessarily mean it is going to 35 MPG. Besides, the window sticker tells you what to expect, why would one be so shocked to actually get what the sticker says? I'm doing much better than the EPA figures, so I'm not complaining.
  • I've given up and just try to forget about the bad gas mileage. We've tried everything. On to other things, like how it wouldn't move in the snow last week. And I mean we couldn't get it back in the driveway after backing out and trying to go forward. Consequently, just spent another $500 on snowtires for it-but that's part of winter driving I guess. My salesman had told us it was great in the snow, wouldn't need tires, the all-weather it came with would be just fine...-another stretch of the truth I guess.
    And to all of you with paint problems, that's also happening to mine. My side panels are covered with small scratches. I do not park near anyone (park with curb on one side and open road on passenger side). When we were shopping for the car, they told us that Toyota had a problem with all of the silver paints-some sort of defect. This included xBs. Mine is Black Cherry Pearl.
    I'm not a whiner, just think I've gotten a lemon. Through it all I still like the car, just not the problems.
  • the clear coat on the xb is thin. one touch of my dogs paw proved that....
    just polish the area with a good quality wax and those small scratches will vanish!
    works for most metallics with clear coat, and some blacks with clear coat!
  • i just found this site, and i guess Misery Doth Love Company, 'cause now that i've seen so many other complaints re: gas mileage, i Do feel less alone. i bought an '06 xA 2 months ago, and while i do love it, the mileage rates are off. my driving is ALL hwy, and i'm getting about 30 mpg [computing by the half tank, appox. 6 gals, getting appox. 175-180 miles] (engines in xA & xB are the same) i have the 5spd man trans, and have a 'relaxed' driving style-but for accel i do have to floor it...my paint was chipped on the antenna mount, and my local dealer changed it, no problem. [Funk 49, There I go Again-i can dig it!]
  • i just posted a reply to a similar msg-bought an '06 xA mid-oct (2800 miles)w/ 5 spd man, & while i love it, my milage is appox 28-30 mpg max (all hwy, no a/c)
  • Wow, that's too bad. I just got a `06 xA 5-speed. On my first tank (dealer-filled) I got 30 MPG. On my 2nd tank just this weekend I got 34 MPG. I think this is reasonable given my short 7 mile commute (lot's of time spent running cold) and 50/50 city/hwy mileage split. Of course I'd like it to be higher. I suppose it will improve once it breaks in (and perhaps once I bump the tire pressure a little).

One thing about this car that amazed me is the RPMs the engine spins on the freeway -- it's something like 3200 RPM @ 60 MPH! That seems high to me -- if I had a 6th gear I bet I'd get better mileage.
  • here is a late reply, if u havent got one already. 'octane' is the rating used to measure the compression factor of the fuel. ie: the cyl can compress the air/fuel mix fully, and it will not ignite b/4 the spark is lit. the higher the #, the better your engine resists knocking, or 'dieseling'. 'peptane' is the rating used in diesel for the same thing-except in diesel there is no spark, the mix is ignited BY compression. im a large engine, the comp ratio is higher. so u need fuel w/ a higher rating...or something like that...Movermike...
  • I HAVEN'T WROTE IN A WHILE, I REMEMBER SCOOTERTRASH IN THIS FORUM. I AM DONE WITH SCION AND TOYOTA IN GENERAL. I WILL NEVER BUY A TOYOTA PRODUCT AGAIN. I HAVE HAD SO MANY PROBLEMS WITH MY SCION XB, I DONT KNOW WHERE TO START. I BOUGHT A 98 HONDA ACCORD V6 A WHILE BACK. WHENEVER I HAD ANY PROBLEMS ANY QUESTIONS THE FRIENDLY PEOPLE AT HONDA WERE ABLE TO HELP ME AND GET ME ON MY WAY EVEN AT MAZDA. I HATE TOYOTA DEALERSHIPS! WHAT A SHAME BECAUSE I ALWAYS THOUGHT TOYOTA WAS A GOOD PRODUCT BUT THEIR EMPLOYEES ARE SHAMEFUL. I AM FILING A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST TOYOTA AND THE DEALERSHIP THAT HAVE PLAYED ME WITH FOR THE PAST YEAR. I SEND THEM ALL TO HELL. I AGREE COMPLETELY WITH ALL THE COMMENTS ABOUT PROBLEMS WITH THEIR SCIONS AND I HOPE ONE OF THESE DAYS THAT THIS COMPANY GOES BANKRUPT. I MIGHT HAVE TO WAIT AWHILE THOUGH. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • While we wait for Toyota to go bankrupt and for you to send everyone to hell, I'd enjoy hearing what issues have caused such angst. You seem like the type of person everyone would love to help out.
    What is your class action lawsuit going to be about? Who's eligible to join the class?