Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• Options
    jamesa4jamesa4 Member Posts: 22
    FWIW, my final deal came out to be $456/month including CA state tax. The reason it went up is because I couldn't find the exact car I wanted, so I had to take one with the comfort access/keyless entry option included.

12k mi/36 month lease
    automatic
    premium pkg
    value pkg
    navigation
    comfort access/keyless entry

refundable security deposits and about $1000 in fees. I'm happy with these terms.
  • Options
    absolspabsolsp Member Posts: 9
    As posted earlier, I finally got the deal to my liking. Similar to jamesa4, I had to tack on extra options

328i RWD Sedan
    Space Gray
    automatic
    premium pkg
    value pkg
    navigation
    satellite radio
    12K/36 month lease

Final numbers are
    MSRP: $41,050.00
    Lease Term: 36 Months
    Mileage Allowance Per Year: 12,000
    Residual Percentage: 63%
    Lease-end Value: $25,861.50
    Initial Cap Cost: $38,079.25
    Bank Fee: $725
    Adjusted Cap Cost: $38,804.25
    Money Factor: 0.00081
    Base Monthly Payment: $411.90
    Monthly Use Tax: $38.10
    Total Monthly Payment: $450.00
    Security Deposit: $3,150.00 ( 7 x $450) (fully refundable at the end of lease)
    Doc Fee: $45.00
    Total Annual Fees: $528.75 (Registration and title)
    Total Amount Due At Lease Signing: $4,173.75

I will be getting the car in a week or two.
  • Options
    Sounds like a great deal - congrats! Mine comes with sat radio, too, so that must be part of one of the packages. The only thing I thought I should get that I didn't was the upgrades sound system. I've heard the standard speakers aren't very good.
  • Options
    jjlawyer2jjlawyer2 Member Posts: 2
    i think your deal would be better if you did a cap cost reduction of about 360, then your payment would be under 400 and your msd deposit would be reduced by 350
  • Options
    I could not go lower than that in the cap reduction. The dealers is already selling the car for roughly $240 below the invoice price (invoice is $38320). I tried and decided it was the best deal I could get at this point.
  • Options
    seekingaudia4seekingaudia4 Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2010
    Where are you guys located? I could not get the dealers to go $200 below, only $500 over invoice.

I think he was saying had you put some more cash down to lower the monthly payment to below $400, you could have reduced the amount of MSDs you had to put down by $350 since the SD is the monthly payment to the eariest $50.
  • Options
    I am in San Jose (Bay Area).. I did Costco and TrueCar dealership network and best I got was invoice + 550.

Finally got the internet sales manager in one dealership to agree for invoice - 250 for the lease, had to fight for the Money factor too.
  • Options
    I'm in Los Angeles.
  • Options
    I am in Nocal, I think I might just do $500 over. I have a good friend in Socal, he always gets better deals than I do. Several times in the past I thought about using one of our vacation trips down south, let him show me around and buy a car then drive back, never worked out the logistics.

The dealer I am working with happens to have the only car with the exact color/options I want, I also test drove no less than 5 different BMWs at this dealer in the last 6 months. I know, I am just trying to justify giving them the extra money:-)
  • Options
    jjlawyer2jjlawyer2 Member Posts: 2
    I am saying you put down 360 or so, so that your payment is below 400, then your security deposit is 400 instead of 450 and BMW will be holdiong less of your money. The selling price is not changing, you are putting the money down
  • Options
    jrzjrz Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2008
    What should I be paying for a lease if the negotiated price on my 2011 328i coupe for 36 months 12k mi and not putting any money down. I was told my fees and security deposit would be about 2000.
  • Options
    jrzjrz Member Posts: 4
    I am ordering a 2011 328i coupe with no options except automatic. The MSRP incl destination is 38450. I negotiated 37000 incl destination. Is this a good deal? I want to lease for 36 mos/12k. with no money down. I was quoted 526/mo. That sounds high. The dealer wants 700 security deposit, first month payment, and fees totalling 2000. He wants a 2000 deposit to hold until the car arrives ( 4 weeks) as it is a special order and unusual to only have automatic and no other options. I am new to leasing. Please advice.
  • Options
    coachcapcoachcap Member Posts: 3
    2011 BMW 328i - including Prem, Sport, Nav, and paddle shifters.

MSRP 42300
    Purchase Price 39550 (invoice) + 725 Bank Fee (?) = 40275
    36 month
    15000 miles
    Res 61% = 25807
    MF= .00145 (this is what the dealer is saying even though the chart says .0013)
    Drive off = 1145 - includes 1st month lease payment and 538 Regist
    No additional SD's
    Monthly payment = 488 plus local tax

I think he is inflating the MF to .00145. Not sure about Bank Fee?

Is this a good deal? Should try and negotiate further? End of the month strategy?

If you pay upfront SDs to buy down your MF is it fully refundable? Even if you total the car?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Finally took delivery of a 328i, could not get it below $500 over invoice, but got the "autoguard" included, it is basically a $500 insurance so you can walk away at the end of the lease as long as any single wear and tear item is less than $500 to repair, also you can run your tires bald, no penalty.

But the first day I noticed the car slipping out of the lanes during fast looping on freeway ramps. I did not drive so hard during test drives. Immediately started reading on the runflats, noticed a lot of people replaced their runflats with a specific brand of conventional performance tires, got better tire grip, less noise and more comfortable ride.

I went to my local discount tire store, replaced my new continental runflats with the Hancook V12s, cost $570 for the four new tires including installation and lifetime rotate/balance/repair. Also bought a custom rim for $100 had them put one of the runflats on as spare, stored the other three runflats away.

The tire grip was instantly back on the loops, the noise level is down a bit, the ride is also a little more comfortable. The only unkown is the tread life but even if I have to replace them twice, it will still cost less than replacing one set of those runflats.

The only downside is, that "autoguard" deal is a waste, now that I plan to put the new runflats back on the car before the end of lease return. The other thing is, as I explained before, I decided to go without the sport package due to harsh ride during the test drive. Had I known the new tires could improve the ride, would have gone with the SP and the family might be able to tolerate the ride. I do miss the tight suspension.

But without the SP, the 328i is still a thrill to drive every time, so much so the wife is now almost taking over my car any chance she has, and she does not even use the sport and manual shift modes like I do :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I'm planning to do the same with the run flats. Where did you get the custom rim for $100?
  • Options
    Discount Tire, sometimes called American Tire Company. Not the kind of custom rim I would put on any of my cars, but sure beats any donut spare :)
  • Options
    CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hello kball2. BMW Financial Services' August buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 335i Sedan with 10,000 miles per year are .00145 and 62%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '11 335i Coupe are .00195 and 64%.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Options
    Hi mreinhorn. There's several websites out there that help consumers find someone to assume their leases, such as swapalease.com.

BMW Financial Services does allow lease transfers, as long as you are not in the final three months of your deal...which you're not. BMW FS does have some fees that it charges on this sort of transaction, $500 total. This consists of a $400 transfer fee and $100 for a credit check on the person who is assuming the lease.

Unfortunately, you may find that you have a hard time finding someone to assume your lease unless you sweeten your deal a little. That is often the case with this sort of transaction.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi jrz. The dealer invoice price of the car that you described is $35,485. A selling price of $37,000 is around $1,500 over invoice. That's not terrible, but if you are in an area that has a lot of competition and you have the time there's a decent change that you will be able to beat this price by several hundred dollars.

Of course, the fact that you are special ordering a fairly stripped vehicle might be working against you to some degree. Dealers are usually willing to cut better deals on units that they already have on their lots than on ones that they have to order.

By the way, when negotiating your deal, make sure that the dealer uses BMW FS' buy rate lease money factor to calculate your payment. Its current buy rate for a 36 month lease of this car is .00185 for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier. You can lock this program in now and then use either it or the program that is available when you physically take delivery of your new car, whichever is better.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the September BMW numbers are out yet? I have a 328i sedan on order and I'll get the benefit of the better deal if the numbers are better this month. Thanks!
  • Options
    chewy2chewy2 Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know who is responsible for maintenance on leased BMWs? The lessor or the lessee? Are cars just off lease usually well-maintained?

Thanks!!
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,326
    All new BMWs come with maintenance included for the first 4yrs/50K miles... Since it is no charge, and the lessee gets dinged for not having it done, virtually every BMW off lease has had all maintenance completed on schedule...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Interesting. How does a lessee get dinged for not doing the maintenance? I guess what I'm wondering is how would BMW know if you changed the oil yourself rather than bringing it into the dealer? Or are you saying that a lessee must use the dealer for scheduled maintenance? Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Hi jamesa4. BMW extended its August lease program without any changes through the end of September.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    I don't see why anyone would change the oil in their BMW themselves when the BMW dealer will do it for them for free for the length of their lease.

While lessees are technically supposed to perform maintenance on their vehicles, I've never heard of an instance where a lessee was charged a fine for not doing so.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Thanks for both responses, Car man!
  • Options
    chewy2chewy2 Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2010
    As near as I can tell, all the BMW dealers are connected, so any dealer can look up your VIN and see the record of what has been done by any BMW dealer. I do not know about being dinged, but a lessor could use the same sort of system to check up on a lessee.

One BMW owner who purchased the extended warranty (not the same as the CPO thing) told me the warranty was void if the owner had maintenance performed anywhere other than a BMW dealer. This was "straight from the horse's (dealers) mouth." So BMW really likes to maintain control over everything.
  • Options
    coachcapcoachcap Member Posts: 3
    I pulled the trigger on Aug 31st at 8PM. Here is the deal:

2011 BMW 328i - including Prem, Sport, Nav, Paddle Shifters and Xeon

MSRP 43200
    Purchase Price 40450 (invoice) + 725 Bank Fee = 41175
    36 month
    15000 miles
    Res 61% = 25807
    MF= .0013
    Drive off = 1145 - includes 1st month lease payment, 538 Regist and tax
    No SD
    Monthly payment = 498 plus local tax
  • Options
    You're very welcome, jamesa4.

Of course, BMW has now changed its mind :). Right after it sent out a bulletin to dealers stating that it was extending its August programs through the 30th it sent out another bulletin with changes.

The numbers for the 328i Sedan are the same, but there was a number of changes for other models. I just wanted to mention that to avoid any confusion.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    kball2kball2 Member Posts: 62
    Do you have the new numbers (September MF and Residual %) for a 2011 335i sedan for a 36 month 10k mile lease?
  • Options
    Her Car man, can you tell me if the September #s for the 335i sedan are more favorable for buyers than the August #s? Thanks!
  • Options
    pellynhpellynh Member Posts: 12
    Before I begin, thanks Car_Man for the invaluable info here! You've been a huge resource and greatly appreciated!

About to go lease a new BMW tomorrow (Labor Day) to replace the Z4 I just turned in off another lease this August.

Looking at a 2011 328i convertible for 36mo/15k. (would consider 335i as well depending on price)

Aug was a great month with 63% and a .0018 MF. Did BMW change these for Sept?

Also, do I get any type of "loyalty" discount since I am leasing another BMW again?

Any info you can provide is greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    prince13prince13 Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the market for a 328xi coupe and live in CT. I talked to a dealer today who said the residuals published last Friday were 65% and money factor of .0016. Does this sound right?
  • Options
    sham819sham819 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Car_Man,

Could you provide Residual and MF for both a 2011 328 AWD sedan with premium package w/navi as well as a 2011 335 AWD sedan with premium w/navi? Thanks!
  • Options
    houstonbmwbearhoustonbmwbear Member Posts: 1
    This is what the dealer offered me for the below on Labor Day: $49828

MSRP $51850
    Metallic black paint, sports package, premium package, sports paddles, comfort access, heated front seats

Invoice $47765 ($2063 below negotiated price)

How hard would it be to haggle them down to $48,500?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter seeks to interview someone who is planning to lease a car in the near future, or recently got into a lease. Please respond to pr@edmunds.com by Sept 16, 2010 with your daytime phone number and some words about your experience.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    I sure do, kball2.

BMW Financial Services' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 335i Sedan with 10,000 miles per year are .00145 and 62%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hey jamesa4. Please see my previous post for the information that you're looking for.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    You're very welcome, pellynh. Thank you for the kind words.

BMW Financial Services' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 328i Convertible with 15,000 miles per year are .00170 and 63%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

BMW is not currently providing any owner loyalty cash incentives on this car that I am aware of.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi prince13. The numbers that you were quoted for this car are right on the money for a 36 month lease with 10,000 miles per year.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi sham819. Here's the information that you're looking for.

BMW Financial Services' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 328i AWD Sedan with 15,000 miles per year are .00125 and 61%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of a 2011 335i AWD Sedan are .00160 and 59%.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    ckoolckool Member Posts: 86
    Hi

which dealership you went? I'm in the process of getting the same vehcile as you

Thanks a lot
  • Options
    farkle96farkle96 Member Posts: 1
    Car_man, you seem to be really on top of this. I am a top tier credit. What money factor and residual should I get on a 2011 740i? I am being quoted .00250 which seems absurdly high and a 55% residual after 3 years of 15K miles per year.

Farkle 96
  • Options
    I went to Stevens Creek BMW in San Jose, CA
  • Options
    Thanks farkle96. This particular discussion is for consumers to discuss leasing the BMW 3-Series. I'll answer your "7" question here for now, but please post any other messages about it over in the 7-Series discussions. Thanks.

BMW Financial Services' September buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 740i with 15,000 miles per year are .00210 and 55%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

As you can see, the residual value that you were quoted is right on the money, but the money factor is slightly high. Try to get the dealer to use the buy rate to calculate your car's payment if possible.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    ckoolckool Member Posts: 86
    Hi Carman:

Received the folloing from local dealer:
    2011 328I auto + premium
    MSRP: $38050
    Sell: $35670 + tax n lic
    with 1500 drive off
    monthly payment $424 + tax = 465
    36 month / 12000 miles a year. residual is 63%
    MF: .00130

I was asking to see if I can put down SD to buy down the MF, the replied is "no
    -because security deposit is wavied as a special for 328 sedan"....is it the truth? or they just BS.

Please advise.

Thanks a lot
  • Options
    ak64ak64 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Does anybody know the current MF/residual for 2011 BMW 328 AWD Wagon ?
  • Options
    That's a very good question, ckung. BMW is running special zero down leases on the 3-Series this month, so I can see where the dealer is coming from. Perhaps on cannot do MSDs in conjunction with this program. I don't see why the dealer would lie about this, they don't lose anything by allowing you to make extra deposits.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Hi ak64. Here's the information that you're looking for. BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 328i Wagon AWD with 15,000 miles per year are .00190 and 58%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
  • Options
    Car man got this one wrong (even he can be wrong once in a while!). I did the zero down lease with the SDs.
This discussion has been closed.