Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Super Duty - Continued VI

Comments

• pwells1pwells1 Member Posts: 5
    Obviously had the truck to another shop, not ship. Man, why do these spelling mistakes only show up after you post. :)
  • cowpokescowpokes Member Posts: 33
    Pwells1
    I a 99 set up just like the truck you have ordered.
    Around town, I get 10.5-11.0 consistently.
    On the highway going 75mph I get 11-12.5 unloaded
    Pulling a four horse goose loaded I get 8-9, I don't usually get it going more than 65 then.

With the 2000-2001 you should expect to get at least what I am getting. If you have a really heavy foot and drag race away from every stop light you might get closer to the 5 to 6 mpg but I doubt it.
    The half dozen folks that I know who own V-10sd are all in the general range of what I reported.

You will hear folks talk about getting 15mpg with the same set up, I highly doubt it.
    Some will say as your friend the truck is terrible and it only gets 5 to 6mpg, I doubt them also.
    The 460 got better milage than that with a carb sitting on it.

I hope this helped, don't panic you will get what the rest of us do 10-12.5 avg.

Have fun
    Cowpokes
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    I've posted them before, but for the newcomers, here are mpg figures:

11.5-12 - hwy
    9.5-10 - 50/50 mix of city/hwy

The winter commute mpg with 50/50 city/hwy and lots of 4wd is about 1mpg less. My last tank was 9 mpg. If we go through a real cold snap and I am idling the truck for 10 minutes in the morning to defrost, it can cost me .5-1 mpg more, but I've never got less than 8mpg even under those conditions.

With my slide-in camper in the bed (just under 12,000 pounds for truck and camper combined), I get 8.5-9 hwy and can get close to 10mpg on flat hwy at 55.
  • bobh12bobh12 Member Posts: 140
    Hey folks, might want to check out the stuff on http://weathertech.com They make wind deflectors for the side windows that do NOT attach with tape.
    They are precision machined and fit up into the top of the window channels. A guy I work with has them on his Y2K F-250 Crew Cab and they look really good.
  • summitxsummitx Member Posts: 25
    OK - I have to ask:

I ordered a 250 CC Lariat 4X4 SB V-10 3.73 a few weeks ago - I decided to get the plain-jane 235-85 BSW Tires - Have I made a mistake? I went with them because I wanted the taller tire, (235 x .85 > 265 x .75 ), and I don't believe in paying about $100 for white letters! Are these tires too narrow? I'm actually considering swapping them after I get the truck - There's a tire store here that will give credit for the factory tires, probably not much, though.

Anyone actually driven with both and compared? Do you sacrifice ride when you go narrower? Do you loose mileage with the taller ones?
  • mainecowgirlmainecowgirl Member Posts: 103
    Hey congratulations, lilelmo! Yet another have. That's great. If the world was perfect, we all had the time and this country was just a bit smaller I could just envision all of us having a big Super Duty BarBQ get together. Wouldn't that be a ball? Put some faces to the nicknames?

Here's a question for discussion. I am diligent about turning off my overdrive when I am hauling, of course, but I am hauling 99.9% of the time on hilly country roads. I heard once that you don't necessarily have to turn it off when you are hauling on the interstate. What are all of your thoughts on that?
  • gtt1gtt1 Member Posts: 63
    the two sizes of tire are within .1" of each other. I have had both sizes. 235's on 83 f350,265's on 2000 f350, and IMO the 235's ride a little rougher at full inflation, ie: 80 psi. If your going to change to a larger size, don't pay for the optional tires.
  • jepsonfamjepsonfam Member Posts: 45
    mainecowgirl - fun proposition. For folks around the mid-Atlantic region, there is a gathering at Natural Bridge Campground, VA in April I believe. Saw some discussion on the Ford-diesel site. I don't think they'd be too upset with gassers showing up too.
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    summitx:
    As ggt1 said, the outside diameter is basically the same..
    With both tires being the 'same' height, the narrower will in theory give better mpg, (less rolling and wind resistance). Probably not enough to be measurable in the SD..

I agree that the OWL are overpriced, however I felt the LT265x75 AS BSW were reasonably priced ($166) and they function and look great..
    I agree, you pay alot for those white letters, although they are also All Terrain, vs All Season.
    I think your OK with OD on the interstate. If it starts searching alot between gears or drops in and out of the torque lock, then your torque converter is doin alot of slipping and you should turn off the OD.
    A popular gadget for folks who tow alot is a tranny tempature guage.. When the temp goes up, keep out of OD. Heat is the enemy in a tranny.
  • sdmansdman Member Posts: 65
    Congratulations on your arrival! Your gonna love driving your new truck.

I was filling up the other day, and there was a guy filling up a D**GE on the next island. Boy was he checking out my new toy :-)
  • 1cjd1cjd Member Posts: 9
    I have a CA v10/5sd/430 (99) and get 11 to 12 mpg city or highway. Never went below 10 mpg, even when pulling a 7000 lb 5th wheel.

Someone in an earlier post said "if you have to ask if you want a diesel, you don't want one".

Jim
  • rbw69rbw69 Member Posts: 17
    I received a call from dealer that the 2K psd f350 dRW 4X4 lb has been submitted to the plant and I can possibly expect delivery in latter part of March. I placed order mid Nov. I have been reading about some of problems with the 99 4x4 when pulling 5th wheels because of the sd rear height. Has anyone any experience pulling 5th wheels with a 2000 4x4? If you have had problems, what might I need to do to try and avoid them? I heard that the dealer can remove a spacer from the rear springs which will drop the bed.
  • summitxsummitx Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for the input - I'm in Montana and need the AT's - For some strange reason you cannot order the BSW AT tires with the Lariat package?? I guess if you can afford Leather seats, you should be able to afford the white letters!

Anyone know why they don't offer the heated seats in pickups? I was real close to losing the Lariat because it gets pretty cold here! Plus, after a hard day of snowmobiling, a little heat on the rear would be therapeutic! I guess I'll just have to carry a towel in the Winter!
  • lewaclewac Member Posts: 151
    pwells1... for your intended purposes, the psd is totally unnecessary. as has been mentioned in previous posts, it would take 80-120K miles for you to break even on the #'s due to the added fuel savings. remember though, that the psd requires a LOT more TLC (and therefore, expense) than the v10 when it comes to maintenance. the break even may be somewhat less if you're driving in primarily high mountainous country. also, if you're backing on a lot of steep up slopes with hard pavement then the esof may not be your best choice due to my aforementioned reason. however, how much time do we actually do this? had we to do this again we MAY have opted for the free-wheel (rather than auto) hubs but to be honest it would have been a very tough call (due to the rare times of being in this situation). hope this helps.

lilelmo... congrats on becoming a "have". the wait is most certainly worth it.

maincowgirl... with the psd you'd not need to exit overdrive unless the grade was greater than interstate standards (with the 4.1 or 4.3 diff ratio). the v10 is not that far behind (unless you've got some altitude) so it would probably be a circumstance issue rather than a hard line choice. as bess mentioned, excessive heat is the indicator of too much load being applied.

rbroll69... we've got that basic config. note that the f350 actually sits a couple of inches lower than the f250 at the side rails. you can't easily lower the rails any further by doing "body work". our rig is a perfect match to the truck, but we do have high road clearance due to Airstream's usage of torsion bar axles (no leaf springs). one of the "tricks" (on a standard leaf spring axle) is to "flip the axle to the bottom of the leaf springs (this gives you the height of the springs (at the axle) as additional coach height. Airstream recommends that you ride no more than 4" high (off of level) at the king pin (but I've seen coaches riding a lot higher than this). I'd recommend that you make any modifications to the coach rather than the truck. if you need additional info, please post back & I'll provide some measurements... note though that I "check-in" only once or twice a week so please be patient.

all... well, waiting on our "kwik-slide" reese hitch adapter. found that even with a 16" extended pin box it still will not allow us to place the combo in "jack-knife" position (which should not be attempted when the trailer wheels are on dry pavement)... not enough clearance between fiver & rear corners of cab. this may not be necessary on an 8 foot standard width but it is a problem with the newer wide body (8'6") coaches.

Mileage is beginning to come up a little. 1400 miles on the truck and am averaging 14.5-14.8 mpg city only. Next week we're taking our first extended pull (to northern Orlando area) so anxious to see how mileage works. still don't have the rig weighed, though... will have to wait until return.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    I have been tracing my truck on the rails since it left the Kentucky Plant. It has sat in Chicago for the last 3 days with a BO code, I couldn't find it listed in the code event. Would anybody happen to know what BO stands for. My truck is so close, but so far away. Chicago is only 2 hours away, you would think it would be here by now....sitting on my fingers waiting.....
  • koakeykoakey Member Posts: 109
    Just out of curiosity, do you know what day your truck was built and released from the plant in KY?

Mine was released last Thursday from KTP but BNSF still doesn't appear to have a record of it and I was wondering how long it took yours to get loaded on the railcar.

Thanks!
  • crazyelviscrazyelvis Member Posts: 216
    Got the new pipes today.....Flowmaster dual muffler system...cat back...22" tips 4" diameter..
    SOUNDS AWESOME!!!!! Nice growl to it....Does not sound as good as my flowmaster on 97 F150 4.6l though....but about 90% as good. The guy spent a lot of time tweaking it out....and he even came in at $75 less than the origional quote....that was a suprise to say the least...he could have charged me what he quoted and I would have been happy...Now I'm off to pick up my K&N filter and that should just about do it for add ons. I did like the truck on the front of the latest Performance Truck Access. catalog though....nice tires......anyone else see it....Maroon truck...
  • smithw1smithw1 Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone have a build week in April? What is your configuration? From the posts, March production appears to be all 4X4 Crew Cabs.

2K 250SD, SWB, 2WD, V10, Auto, 4.30LS, Camper, Tow, Hitch,CD, 265x75, Two Tone Island Blue w/ Harvest Gold accent. Ordered 12/10/99 Clean and Unscheduled.
  • idahoanidahoan Member Posts: 12
    I ordered my(our)00, F350SD,PSD,Auto,ESOF,3.73Ls,CC,Lariat,SB,SRW,TT,Camper pkg back in the end of December and was called yesterday to let us know that it has been built and it is supposed to be here March 7th.They did an order out at invoice for us. We are planning to use for pulling our 31ft. trailer 2-3 times per year and my buy a slide-in in the future, hence the 350.

I wanted the PSD for the gas milage as my current 97 Dodge 1500 Xcab,4X4,SB,5.2 with cap 71k miles is only getting around 12 mpg empty,mostly highway, it used to get in the mid teens. The dealer told me after looking at it several times that there wasn't anything that they could do for me, they ether get 11-12 mpg or 17-18 mpg like my brother's 98 with a 5.9.

What I'm wondering is, does anyone know where to go for a long term loan? Like around 84 months as the best that I've found is 72 months.

Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the long post as I've been following this for some time.
  • lilelmolilelmo Member Posts: 144
    Yep, that would be very cool. Unfortunately, kids, jobs, etc....

I was driving along today and had one of those times when a spontaneous grin just breaks out. I looked DOWN at the Ch**y next to me, adjusted the classical music pouring out of the four big ol' speakers up just a little bit more, and flat enjoyed the moment.

It was worth waiting for. No doubt.
  • gtt1gtt1 Member Posts: 63
    I read in a four wheeler mag the other day a fix on C****y auto hubs. The guy put in line a valve to keep hubs from unlocking, I dont know if this would work for you but it might be worth a look.
    Four Wheeler mag. Nov. 99 www.fourwheeler.com
    good luck,Greg
    (KoaKey) My truck was released last Thursday, the train was in & out within 2 hours, then on to Evansville, Id. thru Danville,IL. to where it sits now in Chicago. Hopefully BO means its on a truck to Wisc. My dealer Rep. was off today, I'll call him tomorrow and see if he knows anything. Where are you from?
    Mine was released last Thursday too and every time I check BNSF it can't find the VIN :(

I'm pretty sure it's BNSF all the way, KTP to KC to DEN (where the offloading railhead is). The Denver railhead actually has a Union Pacific sign but the sign is pretty old and BNSF's map shows KC and DEN.

I sure hope mine still isn't sitting at KTP :(
  • jeffijeffi Member Posts: 11
    Monday after lunch I was driving down the four lane when the car in front of me decided to stop to make a left turn. Traveling at 60 mph and a car in the right hand lane. There was no where to go but to apply the brakes. I skidded about 50 feet. Did not hit the car. My 99 SD had 4 wheel ABS. Came as option. Now my 2000 that has 950 miles on it only has rear ABS. Was thinking the newer trucks had 4 wheel ABS as standard equipment. Boy was I ever wrong. Now I have flat places on my front tires. It has really bad vibration in front.

So take it from me the front tires will lock down and lay a lllloooonnggg black mark on dry pavement. Off to tire store.

2000 SD CC SB WHITE 265 AT TIRES V-10
  • gossamargossamar Member Posts: 106
    why not put front tires on back and ROAST off the flat spot??? The V-10 just needs a little power-braking at 1500 to get things rolling with the 265's....and they DO SMOKE GOOD!!!
  • snoweysnowey Member Posts: 10
    I've got 1/3 DORA and have been tracking to build date which is now next week. How do I get the VIN since it was serialized about 3 weeks ago. My salesman in unenthuased and says he can't get VIN until invoice arrives. He says this is when it's been built and ETA assigned. Sounds like bunk to me. FVPC says build week of 2/28 and ETA week 3/20. Anyone know the truth. How do I find out VIN so I can track shipping, especially if the salesman's no help. THanks.
    Ok....since putting the exhaust on and the new K&N filter my milage computer has been reading 14.1 mpg....would I get that kind of improvement with those additions?? 00 250 CC 6.8l SB Lariat.... Usually get 12.5 mpg around town.....I'll take it if its true.....
    About Chebys.....Friend down the street went in to test drive them....after the Dodge fire I abstained from the trip.....He said Cheby is coming out with an 8.something liter V8....and that their new diesels are improved and sporting Allyson (spelled right) transmissions. He was impressed with the Allyson transmission....is it supposed to be better??? Now an 8.something liter V8....GAS HOGG I would expect.........
  • wildside1wildside1 Member Posts: 77
    All Ya'lls ..... got my superduty on 12/29/99 and received a questionaire to fill out approximately two weeks later. I gave the dealership all high marks .... but when it came to the comment lines at the bottom of the form .... I mentioned that I felt Ford took too much time from order to delivery (over 12 weeks). In the mail yesterday, I got a 'Hallmark Card' from Ford saying they were sorry but sometimes things just happen. Has anyone else received one of these cards? How long from time of delivery did it take all ya'lls to receive the duffle bag? Maybe the 'Hallmark Card' is my duffle bag....

With about 2500 miles, getting around 12-12.5 mpg on 50/50 city/highway miles .... 2k 250 CC short bed V-10 auto 3.73LS. I don't baby it but at the same time I don't have my foot in it all the time either. A couple tanks back I did have fun and checked out the performance characteristics of my baby .... mashed on the gas a bunch .... and got 9.7 mpg.

Something I've been concerned about .... when I mash her down from a dead stop .... is it normal to have a sort of a hesatation going from 1st gear to 2nd? It is smooth but doesn't lock up quickly like most automatics.

Hope ya'll are enjoying your trucks and those that don't have one yet ... hang in there baby ... it's worth it.

Gotta take Mama to the Super Walmart in Broken Arrow to have the Beehive hairdoo redone .... Happy motoring!
  • wassbewassbe Member Posts: 11
    After 5 and 1/2 months, I've been serialized! From what I understand the next step is to get a built date. Any info. on average time periods for the next steps would be greatly appreciated.

F250 4x4 SC LB PS 6 spd.man. - ordered 9/7/99.
  • psmith13psmith13 Member Posts: 32
    OK folks, I'm new to the lingo here and would like a little help. Just ordered my '00 F-250 SD 4X4 AUTO CC LWB Lariat 4.30 LS and no ESOF. I recieved a fax from the dealer that shows the DORA was processed on 2/22/00. This is the first truck I have ever ordered and have been impressed with the info that I have found on this sight. Also the VIN# on the sheet is (NW21S Y), whatever that means. The truck will be shipped to Alaska, how would the tracking be done whenever my truck is shipped? Like the rest of you I can't wait to get my ride!!!
  • psmith13psmith13 Member Posts: 32
    Oh yeah, forgot to ask about the PRIORITY indication. The number 13 was indicated on the fax. Is this my lucky number?
  • rghowerghowe Member Posts: 2
    My truck was delivered to dealer (O'Meara) in Denver last Monday (2-21) via rail but I don't think it went on BNSF. We knew it had left the plant ("shipped via rail carrier") on 2-11. It never did show up on BN's system. I know I had the correct VIN. Dealer thought it might have been shipped on UP (After comparing system maps, I can't think of who else would have had the connections all the way through to Denver other than BN), but of course you need a special password to track autos on UP.

Ordered '00 250 v10 CC 4X4 XLT sb manual trans. on 1/17, built week of 2/7. I'm flying to Denver (from SLC) tomorrow a.m. to pick it up.
  • northpole1northpole1 Member Posts: 49
    wassbe: Wow! If you've been waiting 5 1/2 months, your dealer's allocations must be crap. 8 to 12 weeks is pretty standard for most deliveries. I know lots of folks are waiting longer and that there is nothing that can be done to speed it up once the order is sent. Anyway, to answer your question... it takes about a week to build and a week to ship. So if you get a good build date, your rig should be at the dealer 2 weeks after that. FYI: My dealer promised and delivered my truck in 8 weeks.

psmith13: 13's not bad, and 10 is the best you can get from the dealer. Better than 10 takes approval from higher up FoMoCo muckety mucks.

jeffi: gossamer's got a good idea there. Why not rotate the tires and try to cook off the flat spots. What do you have to lose?

Cheers. Dave.
    snowey, as far as I know, the dealer needs to provide the VIN unless you can get it out of Ford's Customer Care group. As soon as I knew that my truck had been serialized (pre-VOPC ban) I called the dealer and he got right back to me with the VIN.

wassbe, took about 3 weeks from serialization to to getting build week and the build week was about 3 weeks out.

psmith13, NW21S Y doesn't look like a VIN to me. The www.ford-diesel.com site has a good description of VINs (in the FAQ area as I recall). Same place also discusses priorities. Comparing priorities among dealers is almost a waste of time since the priority used by the dealer to prioritize *their* priority. For one dealer, a priority 20 might put you at the top of the list while for a different dealer, you'd need a 10 to be at the top of the list. Allocations are just as important as priority.

As for tracking my truck via BNSF. Don't know who was fast on the draw but the truck was released from the plant on the 17th and by the 21st it was at the railhead in Denver (and I didn't start checking until the 22nd, I had *no* idea it would show up that fast!) Just checked and the dealer doesn't have it yet but Friday's trucks haven't come in yet. Dealer (in Castle Rock) is showing a 3/4 delivery but said they've been coming in earlier ;) (yippee, almost here!)
  • wassbewassbe Member Posts: 11
    So the way I understand it I will have wait about 3 weeks to get a build date, another 3 weeks until building starts, 1 week to complete the build, and about a week to ship. Well at least I have some idea of where I stand. It is great to know I made it past the first milestone.

As for my dealer's allocation, I actually did some looking around before I ordered. I went to a commercial dealer that was supposed to turn-over a high volume of trucks and have a good allocation. They have been telling me that the allocation applies to regions and not just dealers and the mid-Atlantic states are supposedly the hardest hit with the delays. Of course, I happen to live in Maryland.
  • lilelmolilelmo Member Posts: 144
    Thanks to this site, I continue to amaze and flabbergast, yes, that's right, flabbergast my dealer boys. I remembered this morning to check for the shipping shims in the front leaf springs. Sure as shooting, there they were, black, 8" long and taped into and around the leaves. I cut the tape, pulled those suckers out, and called the dealer. I told him to have his prep folks get a clue about the shipping shims. He said, "What shims?" Geez. I told him and said I saw it on the Internet. You could just hear him thinking, "damn customers know more than we do." Ha! Ha! Thanks everybody. (I also anticipated shipment better than they did, thanks to shipping info from this site.) Great fun.

The more I find out about this truck, the better it is. FoMoCo put their (my) money in all the right places.

crazyelvis/mainecowgirl:
    My pore ol' laborador retriever 'bout wet himself the other day when I drove in for the first time. Now, he wants to ride, too. Maybe when he quits slobbering.

The term beast or baby? This truck is to baby as Godzilla is to those Budweiser iguanas. Maybe beast-baby. Could be a new song, "Beast-baby, beast-baby, here on the sand.." Naw,too much. :-)

For you waiting: It's worth it.
  • dwucherdwucher Member Posts: 79
    I got a build date (March 13) the day after I was serialized. That put's me in at around 11-12 weeks, start to finish. y2k cc sb v.10 4x4 5sp 4.30ls ESOF. That's exactly what I was promised. I was a priority 15. The priority code is what the dealer uses to prioritize their orders into Ford. You may be a 30 and still be number 1 on the list. Dealer allocation is everything, not region. 5 1/2 months sucks. Sorry!
    Wonder how many trucks have come and gone off of that 'commercial' dealers lot since you ordered? Food for thought.
    I don't think there is any set schedule of n weeks before this then m weeks to the next step. On ford-diesel I heard folks getting pushed back a week or pulled in a week so I think it's all at the whim of FoMoCo. I actually have gotten the impression that 3 weeks between serialized and getting a build date is a bit long but who knows. Mine was one of the trucks that stayed with the build week once it was scheduled (and mine is an 250 SC LB PSD auto being built in a week that looked like alot of CCs so who knows). :)
    Just got off the phone with my dealer, having traced my truck since it left the factory on the 17th, it has sat at the rail yard in chicago/naperville since the 21st and still sits. The dealer stated that they were also waiting on an Expedition that is keeping my truck company in that yard. He said all we can do is wait, so here we sit.
    I just talked to my dealer. Sounds like mine is still at the railhead (rather than intermediate rail yard). The Denver railhead is on the north side of Denver (Brighton).

On the up side, it's due at the dealer on Monday. On the down side, the invoice is reflecting more than the price we'd agreed and the sls rep is trying to figure out where the difference is (we both suspect a price level difference but sounds like the invoice he has doesn't show the pricing level). I'll be glad when I have the keys in my hand.
  • northpole1northpole1 Member Posts: 49
    There must be something screwy going on at the dealer or regional levels regarding allocations and order/build/ship dates. I read all these posts from owners, prospective owners, and wannabees and some of the stories scare me. My dealer faxed me my order confirmation the day after I ordered it and it was in code "P", which they said meant "production". On that order confirmation was my VIN. It never changed. A week or so after that, I was notified of my build date and estimated delivery date, and they were within a day or two of being actual. So I had my VIN at day 2, and the truck was at the dealer waiting on me in 8 weeks as promised, priority 10.

If one dealership can nail it like that, why can't they all? If the secret FoMoCo person would answer me that on this site, I bet lots of people would be much appreciative. My point is I think that the dealers should be able to tell buyers if the wait will be 5 months before any deposit money changes hands. To BS with info like that is misleading and underhanded. If we can't go to Ford to get answers then the dealers should have ALL the answers.

Billingsley Ford, Lawton OK. F350/SD/SC/4X4/deep wedgewood over silver/$100 over. Alaska bound next week.
    I agree with you. I was told 10 to 12, and it looks like that is what it will be. I also spent a lot of time on this site before I ordered. Call me lucky, but I think that the dealers are giving a lot of people the run around. When I was ready to order, I had one dealer e-mail me telling me that if I wanted to spend 2000.00 over invoice, he would get me the truck in 8 weeks. If I wanted to spend 500.00 over invoice, he couldn't promise me when the delivery date would be. He then went on to tell me that whom ever allowed them to make the most profit, would get the best schedule dates. Well I went with a dealer who told me that they would order any truck that I wanted for invoice. They were straight up, and it looks like they were telling the truth. Allocation has a lot to do with it, honesty is everything. I've heard nothing but good things about Billingsley, and I would have gone up there to get my truck. Nichols Ford Fort Worth Tx. y2k cc sb 4x4 v-10 5spd. 4.30ls esof colorado bound, and soon to be a have.
    I had a Ford dealer that was just down the road tell me they had the same allotment as Gator Ford in Tampa where I did order my truck from. This local Ford Dealer....Flammer Ford...Tarpon Springs, Fl.....maybe gets in one to three F250's a month...mostly SC's and if it is a CC it is an XL model. I told the guy that Gator gets in 60-150 Super Duties a month and that I would order from them....that I am sure I don't know much about how a dealership works...but I do know that a dealer that gets A LOT of trucks would be a better proposition for me. Well....I just met one of the other parents at my daughters school a couple of days ago.....he came up and was admiring my truck and told me he ordered one from Flammer in early Nov. (CC V10....don't know color and I think he said 3.73) Well he has no build date or anything yet. I told him about this site and told him I thought he should read back from SD I for all the info from you fine folks.
    I feel for this guy....and I know if I had ordered one from Flammer I would still be waiting.
    BTW....I test drove an XL V10 CC 1999 truck at Flammer before I did order mine last Aug. They had a 31,000 and change sticker on it and wouldn't move on the price. I got my 00 V10 CC Lariat for 26,400 plus destination and tax. The guy at Flammer did call me after I ordered to see if I wanted to come back and pound my head against the wall for his XL....I told him I ordered from Gator and told him the config. and price....he basically called me a liar.....so once I took posession...I drove the beast to his dealership and showed him my deal. What an *sshole......
    Sorry for the long post.
    Still getting the 14 mpg reading.....let me ask again...would the new exhaust plus the K&N really give me an increase from 12.5 to 14 mpg....Plus today was HORRIBLE in traffic....stop go stop go...so the 14 reading was in very heavy traffic.
    P.S. Saw a great display of road rage today...an acutual fight in the middle of US 19...a six lane hwy.....what a bunch of fools!!!!!
    Im not the secret FoMoCo person, but here are some thoughts.
    Its all based on allotments. BUT, with many vehicles where production capacity is higher and demand is lower, dealers can often order or get the the vehicles quickly even if they are over their allotment..

If the vehicle falls within the dealers allotments, there is still not 'guaranteed' turnaround time, but its generally in the 8 to 12 week range for most vehicles.. A few months ago, the superduties were comming in in the 12-16 week range for dealers within allotments.. Of course there were some exceptions, I'm speaking generally . Today, it appears that the dealers within allotments are even in the 8 to 12 week range based on what some folks are getting.
    So, when the truck is within allotments, dealers are generally telling folks 8 to 16 weeks..

For those vehicles ordered over the allotments, the dealers really have much less of an idea of when the truck is comming, until the truck is serialized and given a schedule.

The idea is that FoMoCo wants dealers to buy alot of trucks. Those dealers who buy more trucks, get more allotments. FoMoCo knows the totals of all of the allotments added up, so they can very accurately plan production to at least meet the allotments they have divied out..

Remember though, dealers don't like having too many truck sit on the lot for too long, because they (the dealerships) are usually paying interest on the trucks until they're sold.

Im sure my story above has some holes in it, but I think its fairly accurate..
  • snoweysnowey Member Posts: 10
    Whats the contact for Fords Customer Care Center. Is that a website or what? Thanks. I'm gonna check with the GM rather than the saleman on Monday and try to get the VIN. My dealership hates the "knowledge" we're all getting on the internet. Guess he should - I didn't offer much over invoice. Disclosure is just not their bag.
    To be honest, I'm not sure, I've just heard folks on ford-diesel talk about talking to Customer Care (and didn't pay attention to contact information).
    Didn't find anything on a quick troll through Ford's web page ( www.ford.com ) but I didn't look too hard. :)

Talk to the GM. If it's been serialized, no reason that you shouldn't have the VIN. I've found you can't get financing or accurate insurance quotes without it. I suspect financing is to make sure you're really getting a car but the insurance needs it too. Tell 'em you want it for insurance quotes. :)

That's unfortunate that your sls rep is insecure with your knowledge. I sure haven't gotten that impression with mine. I think he likes not having to deal with the less-informed. ;)

My sls rep missed on the quote, he told me 6-8 weeks and it looks like it will be 11 weeks to the day. However, I'm willing to cut him some slack since he'd been there about 2-3 weeks (don't think he'd sold cars before) and we were the first vehicle he'd sold. :) And the 11 is within the 10-12 weeks that most folks are seeing. I thought 6-8 was unrealistic when he told me since I already knew KTP was closed during the holidays.

On the flip side, our sls rep waived the dealer prep charge and when the truck came in with a higher invoice, he (well the dealership since I know he had to talk to someone else :) stuck with the original price even though the invoice included a higher fuel charge than the order price and the invoice reflected the price increase (I was not impressed that FoMoCo bumped the price when I had an Order Confirmation at the lower price).

Jason Bowden at Medved Ford in Castle Rock. :) I suspect that when Ford stops accepting orders for the 2000 model year, these puppies will really start getting hard to find at a good price.
    FYI, it really only takes about 6 hours to build your truck (once the frame/body has been assembled and painted). There is a really cool writeup on the ford-diesel web page from someone who watched his truck being built. Sounds like with great planning and some luck you can go to KTP and see your's being built.

http://www.ford-diesel.com/contents/getitems.php3?Birth%20of%20Tyrannosaurus%20Red
    You mentioned that it seems that some smaller dealers can get around 'allocations' if we pay enough $$.
    Here's my guess of how those dealerships do it.
    The default priority when they order trucks is 99, thus, its sortof like telling the factory, 'when you get a free moment, build this one'.

This might them from taking up an allotment slot. (I'm not sure when the truck gets counted against the dealers allotments, at delivery time, order time, etc.)

So, when someone comes in wanting to pay MSRP for an ordered truck, the dealership will give that dude/dudette a priority 10. And since they've not used up their miniscule allotment, it will arrive.

FoMoCo gives all of the trucks to dealers at invoice price (- 3%). FoMoCo makes the same amount of money no matter what the dealers do. So there's no incentive for FoMoCo to give higher priority to someone who's paying more vs someone paying invoice.. They let the dealers decide how they want to make their profits..

Oh about my truck..
    Still averaging 15.5 mpg (last tank happened to be 16.1 in mixed traffic).
    Goes to the dealership on 3/1/00 cause I want the engine 'spark knock or pinging on acceleration' looked at..

Y2K F250 XLT 4x2 SC 5.4L 5sp 4.10LS
This discussion has been closed.