Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Super Duty - Continued VI

Comments

• jepsonfamjepsonfam Member Posts: 45
    Subject broached awhile ago. I just found the sites if you are interested in gathering at Natural Bridge, VA in early May. Check out:
    www.toscom.com/rally/psdrally.htm
    and
    www.ford-diesel.com/ubb/forum19/HTML/000527.html
  • dbowers2dbowers2 Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking for seat covers for my grey cloth SD SC seats (front and rear). I have two small children and a dog all with a knack for leaving their mark. Considering vinyl if it looks decent, or a waterproof backed cloth style. Any recommendations or experiences would be greatly appreciated. '00 350 SC LWB XLT 4X4 V10 5spd 3.73LS
  • handgunhunterhandgunhunter Member Posts: 20
    Congrats on your order!!! My truck was ordered in early Oct, built in early Nov, and arrived at AK dealer in mid-December. I was told it was shipped via rail from KTP to Seattle, by boat to Anchorage, by hauler to dealer in Wasilla.

00 F250 SD CC 4X4 SB 4.1 LS V8 ABS blah,blah,blah!

Averaging ~9.5-10.5 city, 15+ highway.
  • jp49jp49 Member Posts: 10
    have to give credit to John at O'Meara Ford in Colo. Took my 99 SD V-10 250 in last week because of a cracked windshield, told him it was a stress crack and after checking it out he agreed. With all the trucks out there throwing rocks (no cover law here) he could have said "sorry 10,100mi must be a rock chip" but he took the time to check it out and yes it was stress. He said he's seen a few of these on these big trucks and had it replaced right away. Second or third time in for service work and have been treated pretty good. I've had other new vehicles, and was pleased not to get the run around.. Just wanted to post a positive note to let you know there are some good techs out there, and give credit where it is due, since I'am the first one to [non-permissible content removed] when it isn't.

keep truckin'.
  • fordy1fordy1 Member Posts: 30
    The dealers are getting lucky, No dealer can fix
    on a delivery date without the help of a middle
    man (district sales rep.) It's the good ole boy
    system. Also, the squeaky wheel gets the greese.
    I'm squeeking but the grease I haven't seen yet. Waiting almost 4 months now without a VIN/Build date (orig told 6-8 weeks, 12 on the outside). See post #220 for the latest on my situation. Thinking of going direct to FoMoCo via snail mail for what it's worth (at this point my faith is marginal at best). I know the rep's name but how do I get to her? What would you recommend? I'm in your neck of the woods by the way. Appreciate any info/advice.
  • mainecowgirlmainecowgirl Member Posts: 103
    Can you explain what you mean when you say it "drops in and out of torque lock?" Is this an exclusive thing to the 4.3LS axle? Do I have to "feel" for anything different when I drive/tow with this different axle than I am accustomed to?
    And where would one get and have installed a transmission temperature guage? Thanks for any help.
  • bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    I was told by the dealer & the CAC that every time you talk to them, they send the dealer you ordered the truck from, an email telling them of your call. I was calling daily back in Dec. & Jan, Plus I even emailed FoMoCo thru CAC, with enough complaining plus going to the owner of the dealership, I got bumped to a priority 2. It helped some I was told to expect my truck this Thursday, well we will see, it's been sitting at the rail yard for a week now in Chicago waiting for a ride to the dealer. Yesterday, it had been 5 months since my order. I have wondered quite a bit about canceling, but I know for a fact that as soon as it arrives, if I did cancel, the dealer could sell it for a couple thousand more then he will get from me.So I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it holds true on Thursday.
    00 CC SD Lariat 4x4 5.4 4.10LS loaded to the gills
    Woodland Green Z-Series(A.R.E. Cap) Grizzly wrap around grill/brush guard, 265s
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    Its a feature of the automatic tranny torque converter..

I'll describe it as best I can.

In the automatic, the torque converter provides a clutch like function (slipping). In the old days, there would be some torque converter slipage, even on the open highway..
    In the manual tranny, when the clutch is out, theres a solid link from engine->wheels.. This is one reason manual tranny's are usually more efficient.
    Well, the torque converter lock (relatively new invention), basically locks up, providing a solid link from engine->wheels for efficiency.

Enough about theory.. On to the real world.

You know when the transmission shifts gears up, cause the RPM's drop about 500 rpms or so, but your speed is maintained..
    For example, when accelerating up to speed, you get to around 45mph at 2000 rpms. Then when it shifts into 4th, the rpm's drop to around 1500.
    During this time the torque converter is doing its slipping and sliding, cause, umm, thats what it does, it slips..

But, have you also noticed when you reach constant speed (say, 60mph in 4th), the RPM's will drop down another 50 or 100 rpms but the speed is maintained? This is because the the torque converter lock engaged and there's no slipping..

(I'm guessing at the RPM's cause I have the 5sp).

No slipping means, less heat generated..

I'm sure there will be others that can post this subject matter in a much shorter and clearer fashion..
    I'm not sure where you get the guages installed, (catalogs like JC Whitney have the guages). Seems like folks on ford-diesel.com love all the gadgets.
  • porkyporky Member Posts: 83
    Took our crew cab to the ski slopes Friday.(Crystal Mtn.)
    Dry roads up but started to snow after we arrived.(3" or 4")
    The 4x4 ESOF worked great and for the first time averaged 12.9 mpg. All of my other trips have been short -- to work and back -- less than 20 miles. Average there has been 9 to 9.9 mpg.(V-10 with 3.73 LS rear end.)
    I am really pleased !!!!!!
  • jimvetajimveta Member Posts: 96
    Just wanted to inform folks about few things
    from experience (as well as from Superchips
    themselves):

Anything more than air filter and cat-back
    would usually require re-programming (this
    would include headers, mass air flow sensors,
    throttle bodies, etc.); in my case, I have
    the Edelbrock/BBK throttle body + Superchip
    w/ stock program and experienced wierd
    transmission/torque converter behavior.
    Called up superchips, and when I mentioned
    the throttle body, they told me that's it--
    so the chip's out for now, and all is well.

The behavior I was getting felt like abrupt
    locking & unlocking of the torque converter,
    and worse yet, delays in its connection and
    disconnection. I suspect it had to with the
    fact that with this new throttle body, the
    throttle position's changed and that's one
    of the parameters involved in the chips
    program.

So now although I can tell I'm running with
    a bit less power and no more quick/firm
    shifts, I prefer the way it is now because
    the drivability with that problem really
    wasn't good, but I'll put it back in when I
    get all my mods done and the chip
    reprogrammed.
  • smithrl1smithrl1 Member Posts: 12
    Anybody out there towing with a V10 3.73 LS at or near maximum weight rating? I'm getting ready to buy a fifth wheel, and trying to figure out how close to cut it.. . How is the performance in the mountains, or on full-day trips? At altitude??
    Any info would be appreciated.
  • koakeykoakey Member Posts: 109
    Tim, we used to track vehicles via Ford's internal tracking system referred to as VOPC (Vehicle Order Processing Center). The site where I learned about VOPC was requested to stop telling people about how to use VOPC so our tracking options at the moment are limited. No, Ford doesn't have a web site :( however, I keep hearing rumors that Ford is thinking about doing something like this. Best tracking method is your sales rep, some are very helpful while others are less than.

As for financing, if you belong to a credit union, I'd check their interest rates (so far, haven't seen anyone... bank, Ford Motor Credit, on-line, offer better rates than our credit union).

If you're new to forums, I'd strongly recommend also checking out www.ford-diesel.com . There is a wealth of information :) What I like about it is that it is a membership-oriented site with no advertising and lots of useful stuff (as others here have said, it's great to know more than your sales rep ;)
    Congrats on the new ride. Your gonna love it!
    Until about a month ago, there was access to the VOPC system (Vehicle Order Processing Center). This is an automated phone system dealers can use to check the status of vehicles.. however, too many non dealers got access to the system and were probably using 'non automated' options. So Ford had no choice but to add passwords so that 'dealers only' have access. Ford also sent notices to all of the internet forum owners to remove any reference to the VOPC. So, I think your left now with only the dealer to call for your status. (I've heard something about the CAC, but not sure what this is).

I'm sure sometime in the future ford will have this type of info on the Web, but its not a high priority as it is with some industries. Fords distribution channels for vehicles is currently much different than factory direct PC distribution.

Also, it sounds like you picked a good dealer, (large and truck only), but 8weeks is the fastest you'll see it.
    Go to www.ford.com,then pop over to the owners connection,then onto "Contact Us" you can sign up your vehicle and you can have an online history of it for as long as you own it.
    Here's the right address without the Then
    www.ford.com
    I was surfing thru the other forms, just to see if there having the ordering problems, that the ford people have. It's the same thing, must be all manufactures, but one thing I noticed right away. This Conferance here is all informative, nobody is cutting down or calling his fellow owner, wanna be a name or telling there machine isn't worth a hill of beans. These other forms are fighting among each other all the time...Moral of the story is Kids will always have there Toys, but Intelligent Men & Women drive FORDS..
  • vintagebldrsvintagebldrs Member Posts: 25
    1st. time post. Thanks all for your great info.
    Been reading since Dec. Ordered 00 350 SD SC XLT
    V-10 3:73 Woodlandgreen 12/11/99. Dealer gave me ETA of late Feb.,early March. Sold my 97 250 yesterday,and am now a contractor with no truck!
    Dealer told me 4 or 5 more weeks. E-mailed him
    post #210(thanks northpole) I think he got the point! I hope Ford gets on the ball before I`m outta business. Will post updates.
    Thank you very much(4CrazyElvis)
  • psmith13psmith13 Member Posts: 32
    Curious about your posting?

#30 of 241: mileage info with 315's (duckfoot1) Wed 16 Feb '00 (04:45 AM)
    Does anyone have mpg info for a 4x4 psd cc with
    315 tires?

Looks like the 315's are a 35" tall tire. Did you find anyone currently using this size. I was thinking of putting 305/70R16's which equate to 33/1250R16. If the 315's post no clearance problems they would the tire of choice. Any info you discovered will help. I'm still in the "not haves" section or I would go to the tire shop and check the different combos.
    Thanks for the explanation. I think I am getting it, but may be slightly confused (not your fault mind you!) by your use of the term slippage. You are using that term in referring to the clutch-like action of the torque converter whereas the slippage (or potential lack thereof in a truck with LS) of a limited slip axle is something completely different. Correct?

Your explanation was great. Maybe now I just need another lesson in the theory of limited slip axles...
  • gbhawkgbhawk Member Posts: 4
    great assesment of the site
    i had already ordered when i found the site but it did help with the waiting
    i know youre getting close hope it happens this week
    everybody-they are worth the wait
    Thanks. Essentially that is what I have been doing. Salesman just left for another Ford dealer in the area, so I have another. Have called CAC three times and have been nice but they still won't tell me squat or anything that I haven't known well in advance by virtue of reading this site and the Ford-Diesel site. I've spoken with Asst Sales Mgr and ask such questions as - "last we spoke you said I was about #8 with CCs on order with similar configuration (and about #28 or so in line of all your SD orders). That was about 4 to 5 weeks ago. How far have I progressed toward the top of the list? How many have come in in this time? When do you anticipate mine will be built and delivered?" You'd think I was speaking in tongues. I get mumbo jumbo answers and they feign ignorance and blame Ford for not building and delivering their ordered trucks. They say my configuration is very popular and hard to get. No kidding, that's why I ordered it. They dance around the issue very well. Most recently they said Ford is checking on their orders to ensure they are for customers and not stock (they reportedly have twice as many on order as any other dealer in the region). I've written to the owners' son since he's the Internet sale guy and he passes the notes along but still nothing. Someone earlier said that CAC contacts the dealers when a call is received regarding that dealer and may cause the priority to get raised. I'll keep calling and checking. Sorry for the long post, I'll go study English 101 so maybe I can improve my communication skills with the dealer.
    The slippage I was refering to is that of the torque converter..
    This has nothing to do with the 'Limited Slip' rear axle..

So, your next question is, "what does the limited slip rear axle do for me?".
    A. Normal rear axles only apply power to 1 wheel at any one time, (the wheel with the least amount of traction). So, if you jacked one wheel up off the ground, or put it on ice, it would be the one that spins.. The other wheel on solid ground would just sit there.. So, you'd be stuck.

With a limited slip axle, 'some', power is applied to BOTH rear wheels. So in the case above, the rear wheel on the ground would also provide some forward drive..
    Summary:
    4x2 w/o limited slip= 1 wheel drive
    4x2 w/ limited slip= 2 wheel drive
    4x4 w/o limited slip = 2 wheel drive (1 front, 1 rear).
    4x4 w/ limited slip = 3 wheel drive (1 front, 2 rear)

Hope this helps
    By looking up on the map it says it's by St. Louis, but I can't find it. I hope it isn't down there, but this is where the tracer says my truck is, arrived there this afternoon. On the location it says Blue Isla, ILL. I think it's short for Island, maybe i'm wrong. St' Louis is not the way to Wisconsin from Chicago.
  • crazyelviscrazyelvis Member Posts: 216
    sorry...never heard of blue island, IL.....If it was in Danville that would be halfway up state from St. Louis to Chicago.....If blue isla is near St. Louis...it would have taken a step backward so to say.....
    Still getting 13.9 to a 14.1 rating on the mpg... I have to say that the cat back flowmaster and the K&N are wonderful....noticable increase in performace...better sound...and higher mpg...what a country!!!!
    Everyone should go to www.sandbox.net and enter the March Madness contest....10 million $$$ if you can pick the entire NCAA bracket....heck...its worth a try....just think of all the crap you could deck out your truck with....with 10 mil....
    I *think* you're okay (well, it's not Wisconsin :( ) but it's not St Louis either...

According to DeLorme Street Atlas USA V6.0 (great tool by the way ;), Blue Island appears to be about 2 miles north of the I57 and I294 intersection (about 4 miles west of Lake Calumet and about 10 miles west of East Chicago). Street Atlas shows a bunch of railroad tracks. Wonder if this is a offloading facility or mixing yard?
  • nailbender1nailbender1 Member Posts: 11
    Hello everyone, have been following this site over the last year and really appreciate all the info and stories. Finally after 17 weeks "I am a have" today 2-28-00. Ordered 11-1-99, build date was 2-14-00. 2k XLT,250SD 5.4l reg cab,Lb 4x4,4.10ls,auto,tow pack,snow prep,cab lights,ESOF,Deep wedgewood blue w/denim blue seats,$500 over invoice. Stayed with stock tires couldn't justify $166 for 1 1/4 inch of additional width. Will get a heavier, after market draw-tite, receiver hitch. I checked on Farm Bureau rebate, must be a regional thing. In this area( Northeast ILL)they only have a $500 rebate for Dodge. I'll give them my 2cents on what I think of that when I get my insurance.FoMoCO is just like the Mideast oil companies, short supply and high prices. Prices get much higher and I will be forced to drive my wife's Belgium horse (Norman) to work, although he's not cheap to operate either. 10 miles to the bale. Well first time post and I'm rambling already. Pickup truck after work will let you know how things worked out.
  • jraskejraske Member Posts: 131
    Has anybody here seen the new style drink holders that Ford is putting on the Super Dutys? I seen them in Ford diesel.com. the pictures looked pretty good but wondering how the people here liked them.
    nailbender 1 maybe after you pick up your beast tonight you can report if you got the new style holders and how you like them.
    Does anybody here feel Ford should replace our drink holders under warranty if the new style is better then the old one?
    John
  • lilelmolilelmo Member Posts: 144
    The pull out drink holders are "okay" but they are so shallow, that nothing much will stay in them. The "jaws" swing open for different size cups, but have little spring tension. All total, not much good. The rear cup holders are pathetic in the CC. They're on the front middle part of the back seat.$30,000 for a truck and the cupholders stink. The headlight switch on my 250 SD(2K) is a twist switch instead of a pull out. I was expected the latter. Oh well, I could have bought a Submarine....er... Subu***n. or something. :-)
  • donohoe1donohoe1 Member Posts: 4
    Hey y'all,
    I've been keeping track of the forum for a while. Ordered in late Nov. and it is on the rail (or at the dealer) as we speak. 2K F250 SD SC 5.4L 4X4 4.10LS XLT 5SPD Blue in Blue. I didn't order the CD (ups and downs of regretting and not) thinking I could get a cleaner-better after market deal. But, I am getting worried that may not be the case. Any success stories out there for adding CD capability to a SD that only has the XLT radio/tape? I hear there are FM changers, changer adapters, and total head replacement (hopefully not mine) with accompanying changer.
  • hubrex2hubrex2 Member Posts: 24
    I too have been following the site for some time, and it has been valuable in providing information for the big decision. I will "push the button" and order a Y2k SD SC this week. After six months of research and debate, I have decided on the 5.4/ 5 speed/4.10ls/trailer+camperpkg/anti-lock/ AM-FM-cd/tinted windows. Main use will be day-to-day transportation, plus tow a racecar trailer (5000-5500 lbs) about 10-12 times per year. An F-150 probably would have done the trick, but I am sick to death of driving a slushbox and wanted the 5-speed. Tow ratings on the F-150 5-speed is beneath contempt, so the F-250 fits the bill. My question is: will the wait for the 5.4 sc be as long as what I'm reading for other configurations on this site? My dealer, Garnsey and Wheeler, Greeley, CO doesn't seem to think it will, but one of the other dealers I negotiated with stated the 5.4 was impossible to find, and I should bag it and go for the V-10. By the way, G&W has been very good to deal with--very honest and straightforward, settled for invoice +2%. The wait is supposed to be 8 weeks, I start holding my breath this week...
    I'd be inclined to believe your dealer (although there is a certain amount of faith required :).

"Finding" a truck with the 5.4 may not be the same as "ordering" a truck in that configuration. If G&W says 8 weeks, I'd be inclined to go with that date. Just make sure you follow up that your order has been accepted (for this model year). I think with your configuration, you should be okay. It sounds like the auto trannys are the issue at the moment.
  • lilelmolilelmo Member Posts: 144
    The first tank is history. 12.53 mpg, 50/50 driving.Not too bad for 6600# of V10 4x4, CC. with 3.73. 300 mile road trip tomorrow, will see what happens.
    Hey y'all,
    I've been keeping track of the forum for a while. Ordered in late Nov. and it is on the rail (or at the dealer) as we speak. 2K F250 SD SC 5.4L 4X4 4.10LS XLT 5SPD Blue in Blue. I didn't order the CD (ups and downs of regretting and not) thinking I could get a cleaner-better after market deal. But, I am getting worried that may not be the case. Any success stories out there for adding CD capability to a SD that only has the XLT radio/tape? I hear there are FM changers, changer adapters, and total head replacement (hopefully not mine) with accompanying changer.
    Hey y'all,
    When ordering, it seems that the 5.4L come in a tiny bit quicker than the V10s. You also won't have any tranny holdups as there is a good supply of 5sp's..
    Your truck sounds alot like what I got. I received mine in just over 7 weeks. (and this was several months ago when the delays were generally longer for most folks).

As far as finding 5.4L's or V10s on a dealer lot, both are hard to find.. 5.4L's because dealers don't seem to order these for general stock, V10's because they are hard to get, and they sell immediatly..
    Most dealers seem to prefer stocking PSD's. Gee, I wonder if this is because of the extra 4K for the engine alone..

8 to 12 weeks is worth the wait!

Y2K F250 XLT 4x2 SC 5.4L 5sp 4.10LS + options
    average mpg=15.5
  • summitxsummitx Member Posts: 25
    lilelmo, what altitude are you at? I'm at about 5000ft and ordered the same configuration. I'll be real happy if I do that well with it!

It was a tossup between a 4.1/4.3 and the 5.4 or the 3.73 / V-10. 310 HP sounded soooo good! So that's what I ordered!
  • craigwilliamsocraigwilliamso Member Posts: 13
    I just ordered a 2K F250 from my dealer. Can anyone give me a short crash course on what I need to know to track the order and where I can get the relative information.....Any help or pointing to a certain post would be greatly appreciated.

Craig
  • craigwilliamsocraigwilliamso Member Posts: 13
    I just ordered a 2K F250 from my dealer. Can anyone give me a short crash course on what I need to know to track the order and where I can get the relative information.....Any help or pointing to a certain post would be greatly appreciated.

Craig
    Hey Bess- You have been a great help. I appreciate all the hand holding.

Got my Ford Accessories catalog from my pal Bob, and I am cozying up to the woodstove tonight and doing a little dreaming....
    Thanks a bunch. I am down in Florida today and will return Wednesday and fax info that evening. I understand the no promises.

Others if looking for one off the lot: I checked out a dealer (Key Ford) down in Pensacola and he said he could get one in 6 weeks. I took this with a grain (no a block) of salt. He did have a 350 drw psd white/gold on the lot. I don't know the tranny type but I suspect auto.
  • crazyelviscrazyelvis Member Posts: 216
    sorry for the non SD post here....as all who have been here for a while know I will stray....
    lilelmo.....Do you know anything about the Fanin County Georgia...Blue Ridge area....Have been wanting to get out of the rat race here around N. Tampa....and have heard good things about that area in Georgia....you can email me if you have any info...so the others here won't be bored...I would appreciate any info you might have....
    Hey I do have a SD topic after all...
    I am taking the beast into the dealer tommorrow to get bumper fixed....gas tank looked at...I think it is too small...and alignment check....Will post after fix.....
  • sdmansdman Member Posts: 65
    Guys, Gals, can I believe what I am reading? Your looking in your paper books for a city? It's the Internet age (that's why you are here, right?), surf on over to www.mapquest.com, click "Online Maps", enter Blue Island as the city and IL as the state. You will get a nice map showing you that Blue Island is indeed just East of Chicago.

Cannot tell if the cupholder on my truck is a new one or old one. It's does seem to hold drinks in satisfactorily, however.

An earlier post from a couple of days ago reminded me to have a look at the front leaf springs for the shipping shims. Sure enough, there they were, wrapped in black tape. Cannot seem to notice anything different with them off however...

Still lovin my PSD. Now passing 800 miles and the gas mileage is in the mid-15's and slowly climbing (combo city/highway driving).
    Too small of a gas tank? hehe, maybe the suction from the V10 imploded it some. j/k..
  • dave84dave84 Member Posts: 75
    Re: post 268 by sdman

I was out in Chicago last week visiting my sister and her family, and we walked out to the end of Navy Pier. I looked East, and all I could see was Lake Michigan, the breakwater and inlet/filtration buildings for the water system. Sure didn't see any train tracks going to a Blue Island!

(sorry to be such a wise a**, couldn't resist.)

Dave
  • sdmansdman Member Posts: 65
    AAAhhhh - Dave84, I deserved that...fingers are faster than my brain.

It's also a habit...when you live in Seattle, it seems like everything...except northpole and brutus...is east.

Finally, I've been through Blue Island (grew up near Chicago). My apologies to Lake Michigan...
  • nailbender1nailbender1 Member Posts: 11
    The truck is in the garage, barely and I mean it just fit, what a beast. Bought it from Sterling Ford in Sterling IL. Salesman was Jim Olson, great guy. Allocation sort of crappy though 17 weeks to delivery. They didn't pass on price increase from Dec. I also had to point out shipping shims and tell them to remove them.
    Jraske- cup holders have a spring arm that is still a bit whimpish but better than old one. Light switch is a knob that turns like that in explorer, wish cup holder was like the molded ones in the explorer. I was told that the truck has 4 wheel ABS, but remember that old posts said the it only has rear ABS. Does anyone know for sure and how can you tell for sure? Really like deep W/W blue and dark denim interior. Was worried about stock tires but I feel the are fine, although it came with the General brand instead of Goodyear. XLT has lock for spare tire. Also got bumper 7 pin and 4 pin hookup on tow pack and a plugin for future brake control in cab. Need to check on beast see ya later.
    CHecked the trace this morning, my truck is in Gibson, IN. I know it isn't far from Blue Island but it gets farther from going north each day, will have to call dealer, he told me it was at Naperville, which I know it wasn't at least the trace says it has never made it that far.
  • wassbewassbe Member Posts: 11
    Four wheel ABS was actually listed as a standard feature on the XLTs for a very short time last fall. The dealer option catalogs where then amended so that four wheel ABS was an option. If your dealer did not have the latest option catalog he may have misinformed you. If you have four wheel ABS it would be listed on your window sticker and on your invoice - I believe the option costs about $350.
  • wassbewassbe Member Posts: 11
    Four wheel ABS was actually listed as a standard feature on the XLTs for a very short time last fall. The dealer option catalogs where then amended so that four wheel ABS was an option. If your dealer did not have the latest option catalog he may have misinformed you. If you have four wheel ABS it would be listed on your window sticker and on your invoice - I believe the option costs about $350.
This discussion has been closed.