Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 and newer Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon

Comments

• Options
    sastokersastoker Member Posts: 11
    I just checked I have the GT-4. Thanks for the tip on where to look!

If you go to http://gibsonexhaust.com/sounds/ you can hear the one I bought. They have a stationary bit where they rev the engine and they have a fly-by so you can hear what it sounds like if you were getting passed by it!

It is P/N 315562 Aluminized “Swept Side”

Here is a link to the picture of the system:
    http://photos.truckmoxie.com/images/m/938/26166.jpg

You’ll have to let us know what you end up deciding on.
  • Options
    rjm1234rjm1234 Member Posts: 3
    I appreciate the comments but I don't believe that this problem is related to the electronic equipment. This noise to coming directly from the engine bay and can be heard from inside and outside the vehicle. I understood from previous postings that this may be a common problem. One Tahoe owner had the alternator changed which did not fix the problem. I believe that they were told that the GM engineers were aware of the problem and were working on a fix. Just wondered if anyone had any new information.
  • Options
    junglegeorgejunglegeorge Member Posts: 129
    Thanks, I also have the GT-4 373's however I only have 3400 miles on my LTZ. Best tank so far, 17.6 , just added the CIA, did notice a difference in pickup, acceleration, and response, however have not had the chance to check MPG on the highway yet. At least I know that someone is getting better MPG and will wait until I put some more miles on mine. Thanks for the links.
  • Options
    Does anyone know the mailing address for the CEO of GM/Chevy ?
  • Options
    twernst10twernst10 Member Posts: 25
    1-Sirius has the NFL, 2-It is getting Nascar, the only reason I am happy to use XM's free trial is b/c the have NHL. I have had both and really prefer Sirius set-up their station line-up makes more intuitive sense. Besides the only reason XM is in GM is b/c GM owns XM. Can't wait for adapter. Just one humble man's opinion.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    GM has contact info posted.
  • Options
    07tahoeguy07tahoeguy Member Posts: 16
    I had the same noise normally when the vehicle went from 8 cylinder mode to 4 cylinder mode. Dealership told me it was the harmonics in the the exhaust. They can tune the exhaust to sound quiet in either or both modes, but when it changes back and forth the noise will occur. Not sure if we are talking about the same noise.
  • Options
    shawnhackettshawnhackett Member Posts: 16
    The whining noise is coming from the engine somewhere around the steering.

My dealer in Nashville replaced the steering mechanism, because they were told by GM this would fix it. It didn't.

The whine is louder upon acceleration, but it softens a bit when turning the steering wheel. This is what prompted the dealer to replace the steering mechanism.

GM knows about it, but their techical notes to dealers say that most people can't hear the whine. I have great hearing, and it used to drive me nuts. But I have just accepted it and keep the radio loud enough to block it out.

I was hoping it would happen to the Escalades too, so Cadillac would do something about it. But it may just be the 5.3L engine. :cry:
  • Options
    awf_axisawf_axis Member Posts: 136
    I bought an '05 Denali with the 6.0, and noticed the whining too. I mentioned it during a dealer service, but got blank looks back then. Said its normal.

I felt that it was the alternator, since I remember a similar sound from an old '69 Nova I had. The AM radio would pick it up big-time. Anyway, I put in a "filter" which reduced it somewhat.

In the case of the new GM vehicles, even when the radio/entertainment system is OFF, the sound system is still active because it's responsible for door chimes, seatbelt chimes, etc.

That's my theory anyway.... I got so used to it that it stopped bothering me. In my new '07 Escalade, the sound is not there, but I notice a slight hiss (like a stereo turned on, but no sound coming out). Again, I attribute this to the "always on" sound system for warnings..

Dave
  • Options
    kssoonerkssooner Member Posts: 10
    I just think Sirius has a better selection of channels Sirius also has the BIG 12 football games and plus I'm a Sirius stockholder. I also think over the long haul Sirius will come out on top.
  • Options
    stormin800stormin800 Member Posts: 39
    Just an FYI.
    In case you didn't experience this yet. I dropped XM when the 3 month free trial ended. Within 30 days, I got an offer to get XM for $77/year. $6.50 per month is a lot better than $12.95/month. Does it get even better if I wait longer?

Also, have you all seen the new GM ads for 5 year/ 100,000 mile warrantee on all 07 GM vehicles. Do you
    think GM will send all of us who bought 07s early a letter and give us the additional coverage ??? A quality company would.
  • Options
    Thanks Steve, however I went down that road with out any results, I need to escalate this one to the CEO's office. Looking for that address.
  • Options
    stormin800stormin800 Member Posts: 39
    I guess I should have read the details. They are retroactively extending our warranty. Super !!!
  • Options
    Yahoo Finance has a different Detroit address and zip. Probably more investor relations but if you address it to Wagoner, who knows?
  • Options
    jmaynardjmaynard Member Posts: 37
    OK, I have a story that might help, or might not. Back in 05 I had a medical emergency and improperly utilized my tahoe in a way that caused me to sharply jump a curve (somewhere around 70mph). I was in a hurry to the hospital and did not notice what I had done, but when I lefyt I did notice a whinning sound that would be more predominate when turning the steering wheel. It stumped me for some time and then I went to get new tires. When they spun the wheel I noticed a rattle sound. Long story short, the bearings were crushed and that was causing the niose. When I turned the wheel to the left the load on the bad bearings was lightened and the sound reduced. Turning to the left caused the sound to get much louder.

Perhaps we have a bearing problem? Just trying to offer suggestions. Something else to look at are the tire pressure sensors which reside on the wheels.
  • Options
    rockin_ltzrockin_ltz Member Posts: 61
    Where did you find the details of this being retroactive? I purchased the 5 year 75K extended warranty when I purchased my LTZ back in March.

So does this mean I'll get a refund of my cost of this contract???
  • Options
    I am in upstate NY, and have not heard of this extended warranty. No adds here! The GM/Chevy web site still lists 3/36. Where are you finding this info??
  • Options
    poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    I read it at a couple sources one being the Chicago Tribune Transportation section. All 2007's if already purchased are retro.
  • Options
    deovindicedeovindice Member Posts: 11
    I spent 25 minutes on the phone this morning with a very nice CSR who had never ever heard of the AFM feature on the 2007 Yukon. She kept trying to turn it back to being a dealer issue, but I persisted in telling her it is in fact a marketing sham perpetrated on the buying public and that GM should own up to it. No excuses, it either works or it doesn't...and it doesn't.

I asked to speak with someone from GM who actually worked with the product and she insisted that she is the end of the line in so far as who I get to speak with and that is what service departments are for at dealerships.
  • Options
    sdoo25sdoo25 Member Posts: 25
    The extended warranty is only for the powertrain, courtesy transportation and roadside assistance. It doesn't extend the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty.

If you purchased the GMPP extended warranty the website says that they'll be contacting you to explain how it will impact you. If you go to gm.com you'll find a link for the warranty and they have a FAQ section.
  • Options
    shawnhackettshawnhackett Member Posts: 16
    http://www.gm.com/warranty/index.jsp?brandid=vs&lang=en&cmp=gm_com

Read the FAQ - specifically the question, "I purchased a 2007 vehicle in March..."

It is retro-active, but it is the powertrain warranty, not the bumper-to-bumper.
  • Options
    pan3pan3 Member Posts: 5
    I too was (am?) getting around 13.5 mpg with 3500 miles on the odometer. That includes a 900 mile round trip to Colorado from the Twin Cities. I did have a "no start" problem twice with lots of U (communication) code errors and the dealer found it to be a bad NEC connector to the engine computer. Might be a Chevy recall on this, for sure a bulletin. Maybe this is related to our milage problems as the AFM is now showing I am getting over 19 on my first tank of gas since the fix!
  • Options
    rspencerrspencer Member Posts: 63
    I too was (am?) getting around 13.5 mpg with 3500 miles on the odometer. That includes a 900 mile round trip to Colorado from the Twin Cities. I did have a "no start" problem twice with lots of U (communication) code errors and the dealer found it to be a bad NEC connector to the engine computer. Might be a Chevy recall on this, for sure a bulletin. Maybe this is related to our milage problems as the AFM is now showing I am getting over 19 on my first tank of gas since the fix!

pan3: - What fix are u talking about? And how did u check the over 19MPG? DIC or calculator?
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    funddad, you might have a few things to learn if you think positive pressure indicates positive fuel flow.
    it is admirable that you are an experimenter and thank you for the result with your fuel pressure meter. possibly you will appreciate this experiment: measure the pressure in your tires and you will find a positive pressure, but no air flow. this proves that measuring fuel pressure is not a way to measure flow.

google "engine management fuel cutoff" and you can read about ancient corvette, ford, and bosch fuel systems which entirely cut off fuel during proper decel conditions, designed apparently by ancient engineers who knew nothing about internal combustion engines.

maybe the high-tech new Tahoe can't muster those silly 20 year old fuel economy techniques?! maybe it will be a Tahoe enhancement for 2008. we can dream.

ps - that other forum autos 101 is dead - all the folks who think they know everything are over here in this forum. and no self-respecting know-it-all is going to frequent a "101" forum. rename it something uber-motorhead and it might see some action, though.
  • Options
    eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    there is a $100 "GM-something-1" adapter which turns your GM vehicle's XM system into a Sirius system.
    poof, and you can upgrade your GM vehicle to the best sat-radio provider! (all except GTO).
  • Options
    denmandenman Member Posts: 19
    Looks like GM's quality still hasn't improved. GM makes nice engines and transmissions but they skimp on everything else. I have owned several GM products in the past so I know. Since I've been driving Toyotas I have never seen the inside of the service department. The Fords that I owned were better put together than the GM products. GM makes some nice looking vehicles, but I would be afraid to buy one.
  • Options
    dad6dad6 Member Posts: 3
    Quick question about your noise. As I have the same LT 07 and just noticed that my 4-doors rattles, shimmy or shutters every time there's a bump in the road. Is your's doing that too. 1st Chevy and wondering if I am going to have to live with it.... drives me nuts..
  • Options
    dad6dad6 Member Posts: 3
    I am getting the issue with the door panels as well. Very upset..driving me nuts. Any recourse? I have yet to take mine in with less than 2k Mi on it. I agree not what you expect for that price of car. Buy hey I had a brand new Mustang when the new models came out and they were taping velcro in it to stop some rattles.....Classic BS

Fit & Finish of German & Japanese cars are king!
  • Options
    Never before in recorded history has a major corporation spent so much on R&D...and gotten so little in return. GM's AFM(DOD) "technology" is a good example.

Please don't take this personal, but a sucker is born every minute. We are the suckers...GM is the P.T. Barnum.

Just look at the MPG numbers on the 2007 Tahoes with AFM...and compare them to earlier model year Tahoes without AFM. Why can't we see an improvement?

Why is advertising more important than results?

Take notice that GM does not make any specific MPG increase performance claims for AFM. They know better...their marketing guys know that actual product performance claims require support. Advertising rhetoric does not.

So where's the beef???? There is no beef... We would see the beef(MPG improvement) if there was some beef.
  • Options
    nosbor77nosbor77 Member Posts: 40
    I will never buy chevrolet again. I gave american vehicles one last chance. They blew it. I will spread the word to everyone I know. I should have bought that offroad double cab Tacoma or Tundra I had my eye on. The sad thing is that my step dad is the one who sold me on the chevy where he works at Westside Chevrolet. Oh yeah. They're service is terrible!! The even sold me a Tahoe with a dent in the hood and a scratch and wouldn't let me change it out for a new one before I drove off the lot. They insisted that I would have to come back later when their "dent man" was there to pull it out.. If I had bought german or japanese, that wouldn't have happened.. When I think of them, I think of a dog crapping!!!
  • Options
    Ok, Shifty has tweaked the name so maybe we can attract some more people over to the new How it Works! Welcome to Auto 101.

You'd think there'd be more interest in perpetual motion machines. :P
  • Options
    jmaynardjmaynard Member Posts: 37
    Nosbor77, I am sure that your local experiee is not a reflection on the entire GM line. I have only purchased GM's for many years. We used to purchase Toyota products and they too spent time in the shop. Biggest difference was the cost for the Toyotas was much more to repair than GM. I have a good Chevy dealer who takes care of me when I take my vehicle in. My wife does not even have to take her Cadillac in, they come out and get it then bring it back when they finish, even for oil changes (no additional cost).

GM makes a good vehicle but they do some of the smae things all other car manufacturers do. They lie in their advertising. OK, I'll be fair, they exagerate.

If you take deivery of any vehicle with a dent or scratch and then go back to the dealer they are going to question where it came from. Even German and Japanese dealers are not stupid enough to fix a dent that you might have made.
  • Options
    livielivie Member Posts: 2
    I was just offered an 07 Yukon at invoice. The speed with which they came down has me concerned that i should hold out. thoughts?
  • Options
    If you want a Yukon...and it's by far the best deal u have been offered...jump on it. Is it the best deal u have been offered? Does it beat the next closest deal by $400 Have you gotten at least two other dealers to commit to a price? Does it compare favorably to the Edmunds TMV?
  • Options
    atlvibeatlvibe Member Posts: 109
    I know for a fact that Chevrolet LTZ Tahoe can be bought for invoice. Have not shopped GMC but local dealer has plenty of inventory on his lot. The only GM SUV that would command a large number over invoice IMO, is Escalade. If it's the right color and configuration it will go for well over invoice.
  • Options
    What a raw deal that was. Your step dad should have protected you better. Don't know Westside Chevy...but I'll remember the name...and the raw deal.

My wife is thinkin' about a new Tahoe. We called a local dealer yesterday. Salesman claimed the LT 2 model weighed 4200 lbs. and got 20 MPG's O/A.

When asked if he was lieing...or just making an honest mistake...he pleaded innocent. Then he went to "check" the numbers. 5600 lbs and 16-21 EPA... but non-commital on the real world MPG's.

It's bad when u can't trust product performance claims. Misrepresentation is part of the car business...believe it.
  • Options
    drkazandrkazan Member Posts: 1
    I have a new LZ1 Tahoe. I have 2 problems that I need help with.
    1. The DVD player does not continue playing in the back after I turn the car off then back on again. I have to eject the DVD then place it in the slot again. How do I keep the DVD in the player and have it play in the back seat player after turning on and driving.

2. Is there a way to have the DVD player work in the back seat while I enjoy the radio in the front passenger area.

I had a dumb salesman that did not even know how to work any features in my new Tahoe. Can anyone help.
  • Options
    greggbostongreggboston Member Posts: 39
    Hello,

1. When you re-start the vehicle the DVD should resume at the same point it stopped when you turned the vehicle off. However the rear screen will be off - what you need to do is use the remote control for the rear screen and turn it back on. At least it works this way with the NAV radio. This "feature" is pretty annoying since with the NAV radio the DVD will play on the front screen but the rear screen will be blank (off).

2. Yes. Have the rear seat passengers use the wireless headsets or plug into the RSE console with wired headsets. Once a DVD is playing it will always show up on the rear screen (and wireless headsets channel 1) if the screen is turned on. Then select another audio source for the front. Haven't tried it yet but supposedly 3 sources could be active at the same time depending upon the radio set-up. DVD on the screen - audio on wireless headset channel 1. Another program source selected on the RSE console, listen using wired headsets or wireless headset channel 2. Third program source selected for front seat passengers.

Hope this helps.

Gregg
    Boston, Mass
  • Options
    alison62alison62 Member Posts: 1
    You have to use the remote to restart the DVD player, trust me the dealer didn't know how to do it either. I just read the manual and figured it out myself. Press the Power button on the remote, I think it is top left corner.
    Good Luck
  • Options
    twernst10twernst10 Member Posts: 25
    Yeah, I have seen GM R(?)1 adapters out there. However every one I saw was for an '06 or earlier model. If the one you saw was for '07 could you post a link?
  • Options
    gcmartingcmartin Member Posts: 19
    Fellow Tahoe owners. Just got my HID's installed. Wow, had to practically remove the bumper facia! Anyway put both the hi and low beams in. Hi's are 9005 and low's are H11. I used 6000K bulbs. Looks cool in the warehouse. Can't wait to see at night. I still can't find a matching bulb for the fog lights. GM has some kind of proprietary bulb in there.

On to the Zoomers exhaust. Installed per instructions and had it welded up instead of using the clamps for a better more permanent installation. Well, here's the good news: it looks great and fits perfect. Now for the bad news: it is very loud! Rumbles all through the car. Sounds like a Mustang exhaust.

I am wondering if anyone else has this complaint? I am thinking about adding a small resonator right behind the tip. My wife is not happy about the sound.
  • Options
    dmyer3dmyer3 Member Posts: 17
    For the information of everyone on the site: I received my letter from Gm today extending my warranty on my 2007 Yukon to 5 years, 100,000 miles on the powertrain.
    Don
  • Options
    Got my letter today too. I'm curious to see what they (GM) are going to do for me since I purchased the 5YR/75K Bumper to Bumper extended warranty when I bought my LTZ back in March. It says that:

"Because you have also purchased a GM Protection Plan Vehicle Service Contract, our GM Protection Plan team will be contacting me by mail within six to eight weeks with additional details................."

They better be offering some sort of partial refund :mad: ...We'll see I guess!!!
  • Options
    chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    i saw a commercial by GM over the weekend mentioning this 100K mile warranty. With jaded eyes I was thinking this was just saying you could purchase up to 100K miles if you were to read the fine print?

I purchased an '07 Tahoe at the end of May but did not receive any letter from GM today - maybe tomorrow?

And also, what is included in a powertrain warranty? I'm guessing it's probably not as thorough as the bumper-to-bumper
  • Options
    Hey Frank...Got this off of the Chevy forum and it is exactly the letter I received today. You too will get this letter as it applies to ALL 2007 models no matter when you purchased it. It does ONLY cover the Power Train and is definitely NOT a "bumper to bumper" warranty. It will NOT cover any of the electronics (which these beasts have a ton of) or any computer modules which pretty much make these trucks work. I guess I'm glad that I do have the 5YR/75K bumper to bumper coverage as I've heard one computer module can cost around $1,500 if it has to be replaced. Here's what the letter states:

This should answer all of your questions regarding the new 5/year 100,000 miles powertrain warranty.

Terms and Conditions:
    2007 Supplement to the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information Booklet
    For 2007 Passenger Car and Light Duty Truck and Van models

In addition to the Vehicle Coverage described in the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet, General Motors will warrant each 2007 model year passenger car, light duty truck or van for 5 years, or 100,000 miles/160,000 kms. with no deductible, whichever comes first, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs which are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship to the Powertrain components as listed below:

Engine

Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval.

Transmission/Transaxle/Transfer Case

Case, all internal lubricated parts, torque converter, transfer case, transmission/transaxle mounts, seals, and gaskets.

Drive Systems

Final drive housing, all internal lubricated parts, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, axle housing, propeller shafts, universal joints, wheel bearings, locking hubs, front differential actuator, supports, front and rear hub bearings, seals and gaskets.

Courtesy Transportation Program

During the warranty coverage period, alternate transportation and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses will be available under the Courtesy Transportation Program if your vehicle requires warranty repairs. Several transportation options are available. Refer to your Owners Manual for details, including reservation of rights, or consult your dealer/retailer.

What Is Not Covered

All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel. Medium Duty trucks, including the C4500, are excluded from this powertrain coverage. For complete details refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

Roadside Assistance Program

General Motors is proud to offer the response, security, and convenience of the 24-hour Roadside Assistance Program for a period of 5 years or 100,000 miles/160,000 kms., whichever comes first. Refer to your Owner Manual for details, or consult your dealer/retailer. The Roadside Assistance contact information is listed in the Customer Assistance Offices section of the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.

This is a supplement to the express conditions and warranties described in the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet. Other coverages are not extended or altered due to this supplement.

For 2007 model year passenger car, light duty truck and van owners requiring a more comprehensive coverage than what is provided with this warranty and the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, an authorized GM service contract (GM Protection Plan, Saturn Service Plan or Saab) is available through your dealer/retailer. These are the only plans recommended by General Motors. See your dealer/retailer for details.
    Copyright © 2006 General Motors Corporation
  • Options
    chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    my last tahoe (1999 - actually a GMC Yukon) had a oil manifold seal/gasket go out annually every august/september after the warranty expired that ~$450 a pop. I'm glad to see that covered by the powertrain warranty
  • Options
    hawkeye54hawkeye54 Member Posts: 14
    rockin_ltz: Just wanted to let you know that while I had applied for a 72/90,000 warranty for my 07 Tahoe last week at a rate of $1,280. My dealer called me back to say that since GM extended the transmission warranty the GMPP will now only cost $980. Nice discount that I wasn't expecting.
  • Options
    sastokersastoker Member Posts: 11
    Where did you buy you HID's from? How much did you pay?

I wonder if you could use the OEM resonator to muffle the sound a bit?
  • Options
    ron burgundyron burgundy Member Posts: 7
    You mean "Mexican Vehicle with American Corporate Office." I might move down there so I can get a job without fear of Layoff.
  • Options
    duval1duval1 Member Posts: 30
    doesn't the 07 Tahoe LTZ have coin holders ?
    I sure can't find any.image
This discussion has been closed.