Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2000 Chevy Silverado Vibration - II

Comments

• Options
    jed1894jed1894 Member Posts: 337
    I talked to my service manager yesterday about my previous post that was similiar to your problem. He said that the dealership was rebuilding a buyback (1500 LS reg. cab) with the vibration problem.

He said that he was advised by GM to replace the steering system with 2500 system. Apparently GM is telling dealers with buybacks to replace with 2500 steering system (what exactly...I don't know). He was told that the new 2500 steering system had worked on other vehicles.

They have the truck on the rack (been there for about 2 months) and waiting on parts. He is going to let me know if it works.

Anyway, to respond to your post...... I think GM will authorize the 2500 parts on your truck if you push them. By-the-way, if my service manager says the 2500 parts work, I'll let you know exactly what he did (I may have to buy him lunch) to fix the problem so you can use the information when you push GM. I'll try to get the VIN number of the truck to really impress the GM 800 operator.

JOhn
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    trying to save money by switching to the rack and pinion...the worst part is that there are so many of them out there. Even if we are talking replacing those on people who complain about front end vibrations, that is still a lot. Maybe 2500's will be discontinued while they are replacing the 1500's. Either way picture looks bleak...
  • Options
    The Bilsteins on your truck carry a GM part number on it. It is not the same as the aftermarket. I just read a post on the Yukon topic about Bilstein leaking oil on his brand new Yukon, the passenger rear. Funny cause on my Denali with 1400 miles, my passenger rear bilstein also leaked oil and needed to be replaced. Bilsteins are made in Germany with high standards for quality control. Maybe GM is buying their rejects and instead of stamping them "REJECT", they are stamping them GM. Just a thought. BTW, I dumped my Tenneco shocks within the first month of owning my truck and replaced with Edlebrock IAS. Being my first mod, it was the most urgent as the truck was horrible and way too bouncy with the stock 2wd shocks. I wouldn't even ask the dealer for a replacement as I figured that the Tenneco shocks were supposed to be that bad...
  • Options
    brianinvegasbrianinvegas Member Posts: 53
    Thanks for the input on the Edlebrock IAS shocks. This likely will be my first major upgrade. Too bad GM doesn't make a ZR2 option for the full size pickup.

My second upgrade is some sort of tonneau cover for my sportside. I like the look of over the rail bedliner that came with it, but, the local custom truck shop says they will have to cut it to put a cover on. GM's folding hard cover is $750 but I've never seen one on a truck. Those electric role up hard covers seem pretty slick but at $1400 I can buy a lot of other upgrades.

Otherwise the truck is perfect and the 5.3L V8 gets better every day. Unfortunately, the temp gauge on the mirror was working correctly this past weekend when it read 113 degrees. Thanks again for all of your advise.
  • Options
    kansankansan Member Posts: 115
    Thanks for the information. I'm going to call the dealer later tody and see what they say.
    Ken
  • Options
    dustyonedustyone Member Posts: 262
    There is a whole section in the new Helms manual regarding the steering vibration, launch shudder, aftershocks, driveline vibration, etc.
    Tells the service tech how to isolate the component(s) causing the problem, solution to problem (ie where to place balance wts, etc).
    Apparently the service techs need to read the manuals to solve the problems that the factory created and has failed to correct, issue a recall or provide a service bulletin.
  • Options
    polaris6polaris6 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 chevy siverado ext cab w/4 wheel drive. Sometimes when I'm stopped at a light or stop sign, my truck hesitates when I hit the accelerator. It's almost as thought the transmission is slipping.
    Has anyone experienced the same problem?
  • Options
    How do we get a copy of the Helms manual? Henderson Chevy here in the Vegas valley has nice sales people but the service department is still moving up the learning curve. And I'm being kind.

I'd like to have it and show it to them.

Thanks.
  • Options
    go to helminc.com item no. GMT00CK8
  • Options
    I don't the answer for sure, but my 00 model does if often when I shift from drive to reverse. Seems that you have to wait a second to let the computer/tranny connect properly.

I've also noticed when I put in drive, it takes a split second to connect....

Re-flashing the computer may work for you. Now that it's all computer based or related, that might be your answer....not sure though. However, might be normal...

John
  • Options
    Hey, I pulled up helminc.com website and called the 1-800 number. I talked to customer service there who told me the manual is $129! Gees, I was hoping NOT to have spend that much money just so I tell the Chevy service guy how to do his job. $129 will go along way towards those Edlebrock IAS shocks. Does anyone know the condensed version of the proper fix? With so many Silverados out there it has to be a common problem. BTW, my sales person said I need to put a few hundred pounds of weight in the bed!!!

The bouncy ride on certain parts of the highway is virtually unsafe. Then you hit a bridge crossing and it is smooth as can be. Regardless, it definitely needs better shocks since the body role is kind of sloppy. The cornering is pretty good though but it all because of the Bridgestone 285 - 18" Duelers. New shocks should make it even better.

Thanks.
  • Options
    wish I could help you on that one. I ordered my manual last week and am awaiting it's arrival. You could do a search at www.nhtsa.com for service bulletins or defect investigations. I don't think that there are any relating to the bouncy ride and stock shocks. If you should find anything relating to it, you could print the TSB and take it to the service dept. There are quite a few who have upgraded to IAS or Rancho's at Edmunds and none have posted any TSB relating to the dealer having a fix for cheap shocks... good luck!!
  • Options
    tapdtapd Member Posts: 19
    Just got back from a quick 1600 mile trip after the new springs were installed. What a difference. All the bounce is out of the rear end. Rides more like my '91 now.
    1 down 2 to go. Now to find the cause of vibration felt more in the right seat at 65-70, and the kickback in the steering wheel over bumpy roads.
    Miles now...8,100 in six weeks. Trip mpg was 17.87 with a 71.5 mph average. Arizona and New Mexico are a kick cruising at 85 to 90 most of the way.
  • Options
    ovalleyovalley Member Posts: 135
    I too have to extra bounce in the rear end of my 2000 GMC ext cab 2wd. Did you get the rear leaf springs and shackle replaced? I finally went to another dealership and they agreed to order the replacement ones. It was kind of funny, the work order stated "no problem found", but they ordered the parts to fix it anyways. I am still waiting and hoping this fixes it.
  • Options
    Obyone - Thanks for all of your knowledge. I won't replace cheap shocks with more cheap shocks. The IAS are next. I'll let you know. BTW my K & N cold air inductor set up is still in the box. But I've read the instructions 6 times at least.

Tapd - Let us fellow "bouncers" know what was replaced. Do you have the 5.3L with 3.73? My 5.3L with 4.10 gears (4x4) had its first real tank (800 miles) at 14.8 mpg of around town with some highway. My 1999 S-10 ZR2 (22,000 miles) was getting 17.5 for the same trips so I'll take a 2 mpg hit for Z71 power.

Thanks.
  • Options
    tapdtapd Member Posts: 19
    Sorry I can't tell you what was replaced, My new truck is with my 21 year old daughter in Dallas Tx. Hope it comes back in one piece with no door dings(college parkinglots).
    I do know they had a list of parts, but it was a list about 6 or seven wrong. My dealer, Hallowell Chev, was able to tell immediately that the springs were wrong. They did think that my build date of 2/00 would have had the new springs. These guys at Hallowell in Clovis, CA. are very good and I understand that the foreman there, Rick, was one of the ones to come up with the fix for driveline shudder. New springs seem to have cured the bounce problems, I won't buy shocks except to stiffen the ride and get more control.
    Built in Canada, 5.3 3.42 2wd.
  • Options
    funny cause I have the same setup on a rental and could not tell of the driveline growl...4.8 LS 2wd xcab 3.42 Goodyear 235....wait...here's the difference...I'm driving a truck made in...Canada.
  • Options
    ovalleyovalley Member Posts: 135
    Has anyone out there tried the new active suspension by Roadmaster? It was previewed on Crank and Crome a few weeks ago.
  • Options
    I could have sworn that was a discontinued Buick.

Got my Helm's manual(s) today. Now I understand why the service departments always say "cannot duplicate" or "supposed to be that way" or "common on all trucks". Under the Vibration Diagnosis and Correction section, there are several places where the manual states: IMPORTANT: Do NOT attempt to repair a normal condition, or the customer will probably be convinced that the vehicle has a problem. Customer satisfaction becomes extremely difficult after this point."

Vibrations must be a problem as the manual dedicates 57 pages towards identifying the various types of vibrations and possible fixes.
  • Options
    57 hole pages. I don't think my Chevy service rep could pay attention for more than 2 pages. BTW, last night I had my aftermarket wheels and tire rebalanced and boy were they off. 5 oz. on one and 3.75 oz. off on another. Not as bad on the last 2. It has helped but I'm still bouncing a lot.

The Big O Tire guys said there is a new Monroe shock that rivals the Edlebrock IAS. I think I'll stick with Edlebrock when the time comes; which is very soon.
  • Options
    doesn't Midas Muffler sell Monroe's? I've also heard of those Monroe's...just something about the name bothers me...not sure what it is besides being associated with Midas Mufflers...
  • Options
    this morning as they have had my truck for 11 days. Said the EVA2 has narrowed the vibration down to my front passenger Michelin tires...oh boy that was the one that the installing dealer left an 1.5 oz weight in the tire and I had drove for about 100 miles before taking it back. Wonder if the two are connected.

Other things to do:
    replace rear windows for the 4th time
    repaint back half of truck due to defects

I have logged 1200 miles on rental '00 Silverado while truck is in the shop. One thing good is that this is keeping my mileage down and actually extending my warranty period as I figured I would hit the 36,000 mile mark before 3 years...
  • Options
    I also loaned them my Helm's manual as they don't have one. Figured better the tech have it for now since he is working on the truck...
  • Options
    Just a suggestion...... when I was going through my vibration problems, and after a private business fixed the problem, I made GM give me a 6 year free ext. warranty (Major Guard...bumper to bumper).

I argued that the vibration had re-appeared on previous fixes and I feared it would re-appear after the warranty expired.

They rejected and refused at first, but finally gave in and issued the ext. warranty (6 year/75,000).

For all the trouble you've been through (more than me) I think they'll do it....if you interested....

John
  • Options
    an excellent idea...should send my Chevy dealer into major depression...having to see me for an additional three years...

I shall put this at the top of my things to do list for Monday morning...thanks

Dean
  • Options
    xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    You may be one of the first Chevy owners to be satisfied with his new truck. I'm taking mine back for the second time (vibration 30-40 mph).
    When I picked the truck up, the service writer said that the front two tires were rebalanced and the vibration was cured. It wasn't. I asked him if they indicated the tires and wheels (for out of round). he told me that they are not that high tech. Looks like the stone wall treatment is starting.
  • Options
    All vibrations and bouncy rides aside, I installed my K & N cold air induction system this weekend on my 2000 Silverado 4x4 4dr. with the 5.3L 4.10 gears. What a pleasant surprise to install this sytem. The directions were easy to follow and everything fit perfectly. It took about an hour.

The extra 15hp (at the rear wheels per K&N) feels like it is really there and the engine has a nice throaty sound when accelerating. I ordered it direct from K & N at their website; knfilters.com for those of you who might be interested.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say I'm completely satisfied with the truck, but it's (truck) as good as it's going to get. I still don't care for the high steering sensitivity. I'll drive it for 3-4 years and then trade.....
  • Options
    275/70R16 upgrade from the General 255/70R16...update on ordering replacement. Dealer had the warranty papers for the tires since the beginning as they never gave them to me. GUESS WHAT...they can't find them...meeting between shop foreman and service advisor reveals that they were never given any warranty papers from Michelin dealer...this is getting outrageous...I can't help but laugh.

On another note, tomorrow makes two weeks that they have had my truck and also qualifies me for the lemon law as they have exceeded their thirty "working" days that they have had my truck. Not to mention four times for the rear windows and at least 6 for vibrations...but if they are still trying I'm all for it cause I just got too many mods on this truck.

On rental Silverado...now has over 2000 miles logged on odometer and truck rides like a dream. Just that damn 4.8 got no high end to it. Seems to just run out of oompf on the high side...smokes the 235's though.
  • Options
    Gee, no high end oomph with the 4.8L. My 5.3L really hauls over 3000 rpm but is marginal at the low end. (only 1200 miles on the odometer though) Makes me wonder just how nice the 6.0L would be in the 1/2 ton. Wouldn't need those 4.10 gears for sure.

What is with the tires on these trucks. I just had my 285/60r18 Bridgestones rebalanced for the 2nd time in 5 days at a different shop and it has done the trick. Smooth as silk on asphalt. They recommended something called a "velvet" shackle that they say really helps the back end aftershock on the freeway. Everyone has a different idea.
  • Options
    tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    website http://www.velvet-ride.com/index.html? This is the B.F.Goodrich website for velvet-ride shackles you refer to. They advertise about $168 with shipping.
    I have these on my 2K 2WD standard Silverado. The company advertises 20% reduction in vibration when driving with an empty box. I already had a smooth ride suspension, so I did not see a dramatic improvement - but it could be a 20% reduction. If you have a stiffer supsension, I think the improvement would be more dramatic.
    I have the velvet-ride shackles with Edelbrock IAS shocks and the combination is noticeable, especially at higher speeds. Still not a luxury car ride - but better,and the handling is significantly improved, especially going around curves or making quick stops (less nosediving.)
    One note, the shackles I got just barely fit in the shackle bracket - look like a universal fit type. The installer had to shave the center bolt head slightly to avoid interference with the bracket. Not a big deal.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    steveguitarsteveguitar Member Posts: 12
    I to have vibration with my 2k silverado. I have had it back to my dealer 4 times. They have balanced tires several times, put complete set of new goodyear's on, rebalanced and aligned front end.
    still vibration between 60-70 mph. Also have noticed vibration at slower speeds. I was beginning to believe I was imagining this, but just today dealer has said there is a fix for this problem. Chevy just recently released a bulletin on this problem. This will make the 5th time I've had to take truck in for this problem. Also have a flutter noise coming from a/c vents, they say they know what is causing flutter but there is no fix. Also with V6 engine you may notice a noise coming from engine while idle and in gear like at a stop sign. It is a roar or drone type sound, Chevy knows about this they say and is working on a fix for this. Wonder what else is going to go wrong??? Just remembered my silverado has the chrome wheel appearance pkg. the plastic lug caps keep coming loose they've replaced these caps already once.
  • Options
    thanks for the info on the velvet ride. It was brianinvegas that mentioned them. I am pretty satisfied with how my truck rides with no load and may consider these. My problem lies in front end vibrations, sure wish the shackles would solve this.

steveguitar
    my loaner silverado has the a/c flutter also. I thought it was my imagination. As far as the plastic lugs on the plastic caps...I think it will always come loose...you can tighten the plastic lugs only so much before stripping them. And of course with your vibrations, they will come loose...
  • Options
    Sounds like you have the setup that I want to have; Edelbrock IAS with velvet shackles. Looks like I'll be placing my order this weekend. Thanks for website info.
  • Options
    Do you know what the bulletin number is for the vibration fix? I took my truck in (again) for the fourth time a couple of weeks ago and they said they were waiting for a bulletin to be released, and they couldn't do anything until then. If possible, could you get the bulletin number for me so I can reference it when I call my dealer back.
    Thanks,
    Ken
  • Options
    jpfltawjpfltaw Member Posts: 43
    the flutter noise in the a/c on my 99 LS was a piece of tape and a rubber block in the a/c vent. Don't know what it was for and never got it out. GM bought the truck back after 10 months of bitching about the vibration. Thank GOD for arbitration.

My 2000 LS 5.3 2wd ext cab is awesome. Just took a whole year to the day to get it. Had to go out of town to make the order, ( $200 bucks over invoice ), on 4/15/00 and got it on 6/1/00.
  • Options
    jpfltawjpfltaw Member Posts: 43
    By the way, my 99 was in the shop 17 trips and 42 days for vibration. 5 tire changes, replaced weights ( that fell off), twice - 4 tire balances, new rear springs, new front spring dumaflica, new shackles, 8 wheel alignments, the last one took 11 days. New front shock to replace the one that fell off. And that was not counting the other crap that broke or leaked. But the service mngr said, " it's a truck, what do you expect, it's a truck"

Sewell SUCKS
  • Options
    ricobeachricobeach Member Posts: 29
    Chevy dealer just called to update me on a new tech bulletin to replace/upgrade most of the rack and pinion steering system. This is in an effort to alleviate my steering wheel vibration at highway speed (65-70). Bulletin only applies to certain VIN numbers (vehicles built before this fix was implemented into the assembly line). My 2WD 2000 Silverado was built in July 1999 and does meet the criteria.
    Did not see this bulletin on the NHTSA web site. Maybe it takes a few days to be posted on their site.

Rico
  • Options
    kingfishguskingfishgus Member Posts: 112
    As usual, anyone who finds the number, post it here ASAP. I haven't been posting here but am still fighting Chevy over the famous vibration problem on mine. I gave up believing them a while back and am getting the Lemon process going. There are people out there (and here) that have been waiting for a fix for almost 2 years.
    If you have a problem, at least call Chevy cust srv and get a problem tracking number. Make them keep it open.
  • Options
    opie6opie6 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 00 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton in Nov 99. It was in for service for a total of 28 days trying to fix a launch shutter and a vibration at 70-75. I finally got fed up with spending over $30,000 for a truck that I was not having any luck with. I talked to my dealership about the lemon law, he told me to call the 800 number in the back of the warranty manual which is the BBB Auto line group. These people did the trick for me. Within 2 weeks of filing my claim against GM they agreed to a replacement vehicle. Finding that replacement vehicle in my price range was close to impossible. I then spent more money and bought a 3/4 ton Sierra which had no vibrations at all at the time of delivery. After I put weight in the back the launch shutter showed back up. I have not been in the shop for this problem yet, I've been waiting for a post for a fix. Is there a fix?????
  • Options
    4 or 2wd? xcab? can you get your hands on a helm's manual for the '00 trucks. Got some interesting suggestions for fixing launch shudder. Wish I could help you but my dealer has my helm's manual at this time.
  • Options
    what, exactly, did the service bulletin say?
  • Options
    I don't exactly remember everything about the S.B.
    I do know the bulletin was 12 pages long.
    It will be based on your V.I.N. # so apparently they have got this worked out on the newer ones they are producing. I remember it talked about replacing the complete rack and pinion system. Replacing power steering and power steering pump.
    Front coil springs and bushings. Welding in a extra support piece.
  • Options
    wonder if that could be the torsion bar? Unusual for a TSB to be based on VIN...how would the owners know of a fix since with a TSB the manufacturer doesn't have to let them know? Hmm...sounds like GM is trying to get off cheap again...
  • Options
    I just called the local Chevy service department, and they still haven't received the Service Bulletin. I told him it was out and gave him the number, and he said he is meting with some regional GM rep. tomorrow and he would discuss it with him. He asked where the dealer was who had the bulletin, and I told him Oklahoma. He thinks they must be sending the bulletin out by region, and that's why he hadn't seen it yet. He said Texas was probably the first to get it and then Oklahoma. Kansas is just North of Oklahoma, so hopefully we're next.
    Thanks again,
    Ken
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Check Topic 615, Post 197. Details of bulletin posted by "ricsch" on June 19. BTW, I am also in Oklahoma (Oklahoma City/Edmond). What dealer are you working with? I also have the vib problem and have an appointment for Tuesday, June 20 at Bob Howard GMC in Edmond. Thanks.
  • Options
    MY DEALER IS BOB HOWARD SOUTH POINTE TULSA
    I REALLY DON'T HAVE GOOD FEELINGS ABOUT THEM WELDING ON MY NEW TRUCK. WE REALLY SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BE GOING THROUGH ALL THIS SHOULD WE? MY SERVICE MANAGER SAID HE'S ROAD IN CUSTOMERS TRUCKS FOR OTHER PROBLEMS THAT HE NEW HAD THE VIBE PROBLEM AND THE CUSTOMER DIDN'T NOTICE IT. SO DOING THIS BY VIN # AND BY OUR REQUEST THEY WILL NOT BE FIXING EVERYONES ONLY THE ONES WHO HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT THE VIBE. SEEMS LIKE THEY'RE JUST TRYING TO CUT CORNERS AND SAVE SOME MORE MONEY!!!HE ALSO SAID THE LAUNCH SHUDDER WAS ONLY ON 1999 MODELS AND NOT ON THE 2000. HE CLAIMS THIS WAS FIXED ON 2000 MODELS BUT I STILL SEEM TO HAVE IT WHEN PULLING OUR TRAVEL TRAILER. WHAT IS A PERSON TO DO? SHOULD WE JUST CALL BBB AND GO THROUGH ARBITRATION OR GET WELDED?? SOMEONE HELP...
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I want to make two replies, one to Steveguitar, one to the rest.

>>>WE REALLY SHOULDN'T HAVE
    TO BE GOING THROUGH ALL THIS SHOULD WE? MY SERVICE
    MANAGER SAID HE'S ROAD IN CUSTOMERS TRUCKS FOR
    OTHER PROBLEMS THAT HE NEW HAD THE VIBE PROBLEM AND
    THE CUSTOMER DIDN'T NOTICE IT. SO DOING THIS BY
    VIN # AND BY OUR REQUEST THEY WILL NOT BE FIXING
    EVERYONES ONLY THE ONES WHO HAVE COMPLAINED ABOUT
    THE VIBE. SEEMS LIKE THEY'RE JUST TRYING TO CUT
    CORNERS AND SAVE SOME MORE MONEY!!!<<<

Damn right you should let them do this. It sounds like you have a dealership trying to help. GM wants nothing more than to solve a problem, and probably will take any help, and the dealership makes money too, win win. It also sounds like GM has worked hard on a fix, this is probably it. I would not worry about the weld either. Give up immediately the notion that something is rotten because GM is not recalling them all. It's not a safety issue. Just get yours fixed, don't worry about the others, and you're liable to have a loving relationship with her thereafter.

An anecdote from me...In 1994 on my Z28, there was a drive line vibration. GM replaced the steel drive shaft with an aluminum one for anyone that asked, even after the warranty period. Mine had the steel drive shaft, but did not have the vibration so these issues don't necessarily affect all vehicles. (I kept the steel drive shaft)
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    I've stated, and others too that I thought this was a problem (steering wheel shimmy, or steering vibration) was limited to 2wd trucks. This service bulletin seems to support that.

Obyone,
    >>#368 of 374: Welding in a extra support piece (obyone) wonder if that could be the torsion bar?<<

You surely mean "torque arm?" Only 2wd trucks have rack and pinion, and don't have torsion bars. Use coil springs instead. Did I miss something earlier about torsion bars?

Red,
    Maybe there are more than one resident experts on Edmunds?

All,
    My guess about the launch shudder...it's in the drive line, and worse if 2 piece drive shaft. I did feel this once, just off idle, towing a 4000 lb trailer, uphill, at barely above a standstill in bumper to bumper traffic. Mine is reg cab 4x4 with one piece drive shaft. It felt harmonic in nature, and I bet gets amplified along the longer length of a two piece drive shaft. Same principal as a piano tuning fork.
  • Options
    Under Silverado XII post #187...actually meant to say stabilizer bar. I reread the email and it reads

"Save all your Paper work!!!!!! my brother told me last week that they are installing stablizers on the front of the new 2001 2wd trucks. is this like fixing a non problem? news coming soon"

Prior to this email he asked me to check if there was a stabilizer bar located between my front tirewell and front door. I don't know where this is heading but sure got my curiosity...

launch shudder...

I have driven three different 2wd '00 Silverados over the past two months. The first two had different sized drive shafts. The newest manufactured 03/00 in Canada has identical sized drive shafts and no launch shudder. So what does this mean...I can only conclude that GM has a fix for the launch shudder on the newer models. But then another poster said that his had the launch shudder and was made 02/00 although at Ft Wayne. Maybe the Canadians know something....
This discussion has been closed.