Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    bailey24bailey24 Member Posts: 3
    I have been experiencing the same issues over the past year and it's been driving me crazy! Vibrations felt in the gas pedal, driver seat and steering wheel at all speeds. Definite pattern to it. It is a 2003 EX but well maintained. Had the tires balanced but they were fine. Even replaced the tires as I drove flat on a rear tire for about 2 KM once and thought the tire was torn inside; that wasn't the issue. I even had the dealer replace the engine mount for about $500 CDN and still the vibration is there. Someone mentioned that it may be caused by the fuel injection system but I can't recall what/who posted it. I'd look into that as a possible starting point as it may be a small vibration but I drive 40,000 KM a year and any vibration is annoying!
  • Options
    bf109acebf109ace Member Posts: 77
    I've read peopple experience rattles in their Accords but not sure if they have similar one as mine.

Just had an oil change and tire rotation last Thur. Saturday night while driving on local road at around 25-35mph, I heard a rattling sound coming from the bottom of my Accord. I though the sound coming from under the driver seat or front position. It only happened when I drove on rough surface (but not on bump road). It's like 'metal to metal' rattling sound.

I took it to Honda Service. They test drove my car twice and put it on the lift observing if anything got loose on the bottom (i.e. suspension, wheels,etc). But they didn't find anything wrong.

I'm puzzle what the rattling sound was and where they came from. Am I being too sensitive(but my wife also heard the rattling sound)?

Any similar experience? What's the cure? I meant how I should approach the Honda Service if I hear the rattling sound again. They've been very nice. It just very hard to replicate the rattling sound when they test drove it.

Thanks for your feedback.

Richard
  • Options
    bmwshinbmwshin Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2004 4-cylinder model, and I have the same problem. It doesn't happen all the time (only happens when on the bumpy road), so it's been difficult to pin-point the issue. I've been trying to have a dealer address the issue, so I'll keep you posted. Good luck!
  • Options
    bmwshin,

I'm sorry to hear you experience similar rattling problem. During lunch break today, I drove back home and heard the same rattling again.

So I drove back to the neighborhood where the Honda Service garage is located and tried to find a road that has a rough/bumpy surface. I was able to replicate the rattling.

When I drove at low speed (15-20mph) on rough surface, the rattling happened, especially when I made a right turn. The sound is from underneath and like the one from a loosely placed metal cover on a metal container (for cooking).

I plan to go back to the Honda dealership and ride with the mechanic trying to replicate the rattling sound.

However, even I could replicate the rattling, I'm not sure if they can pin-point the issue and get it fixed. What do you think?

On Edmunds.com I've read many thread on rattling on Honda Civic/Accord but not sure if theirs are similar to mine. :confuse:
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I have one idea on what might be rattling. It could be a heat shield on the exhaust pipe. Previous year Accords have had this problem also. Someone would have to get under the car and bump the exhaust pipe around, to maybe hear it. Hope you find it.
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    for us with ramps, there's no prob getting under the vehicle and checking for a missing exhaust hanger or loose shield or what have you.

dollars to doughnuts though they have either a loose strut or some suspension bar / collar grommet is missing or loose. most people that only experience rattling when going over tiny road imperfections i suspect probably have excessive play somewhere in the suspension or steering sub-systems.

my idea: i wager there's play at the strut / strut tower interface.

my '02 seems to have plenty of clearence all around the exhaust system, and even a missing hanger... i don't know, i doubt is at root cause. if it were, i'd expect noise under acceleration or when there's engine / motor mount movement.
  • Options
    my '02 seems to have plenty of clearance all around the exhaust system, and even a missing hanger... i don't know, i doubt is at root cause.

I don't remember what year/generation it was, but Honda had a TSB for the heat shield rattle. The clearance around the exhaust pipe was fine, the heat shield was rattling against the exhaust pipe. Just an idea, on what to check.
  • Options
    true. i hear ya - i think if the issue is there, it's gonna show up during engine reving right? why not stick the vehicle in neutral and run the engine up in rpm fast a few times and let the accelerator go back to idle and listen for the resonance? if you hear a rattle or buzzing, then yeah, i think that could be it. otherwise, i'm thinking strut or steering part.

another thing the poster could and should do... ride in the passenger seat, and also with the window up / down. localizing the sound is best done when you have the freedom of riding in different places in the car.

in otherwords, enlist the help of another driver and ride and listen.
  • Options
    i think if the issue is there, it's gonna show up during engine reving right?

Not necessarily. If the heat shield is loose enough, it will rattle over rough roads.
  • Options
    You said Honda had a TSB for heat shield rattle. What's a TSB? Please explain.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    TSB = "Technical Service Bulletin"

These are issued like recalls, I believe.
  • Options
    The clicking noise is more evident when I make a tight right turn at low speed (10-15mph) even on a relatively smooth surface.

Someone mentioned the streering sub-system. What is it? Pleaes explain. Thanks.
  • Options
    bf109ace,
    I had my accord checked out by a quality assurance manager at a local dealership yesterday. Luckily, the guy was able to hear the noise I was hearing during the test drive. He said it was going to be a tough one to nail down, and said he would need a whole day to troubleshoot the issue. I mentioned to him it might be a loose heat shield, but he said it might be a slight gap in the windshield. Anyway, I'm taking mine into the dealership tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted!
  • Options
    Good for you! Where does the noise come from on your Accord?

I'll probably bring my Accord to the dealership tomorrow and test drive with a service manager. Hopefully, he'll hear the noise this time.

I like my Accord (actually it's my wife's car)especially the VTEC engine and tansmission but these small problems are becoming annoying. I bought the Accord expecting a trouble-free ride for at least 5 years or so with reasonable driving and maintenance.

Anyway, my next car may be a Civic Si 6-speed or Mazda SPEED3 or something smaller but more sporty. I wish Acura will come up with a replacement for RSX Type-S with an engine that has more low end torque. I always drive a manual transmission.
  • Options
    A clicking sound, at low speed, while turning, is a classic sign of cv joint failure.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ......has added up 30k service costs.....

....I was surprised: (1) LOF $31 Honda dealer 14 miles west of state capitol......
    (2) CAF 27 at Honda dealer, Hollywood

and (3) AF 18 at Kragun, Las Vegas

Dealer wants 250-300 Americano. (Tar rotation complimentary due to my BS skills) 7/32. Brakes pads are 70-80% per the tire shop guys (best place in the capital)

...RON 87, DIY, 25.5 OTD, the deals are out there. Great cars.

..ez..
  • Options
    The noise is coming from the bottom from mine as well, and it's from the front side. It sounds like a small metal particle banging inside the steel pipe. It happens when driving at a highway speed on a rough pavement. I don't hear it on a rainy day or on a smooth pavement. I'll let you know what my dealer has to say about it tomorrow. Good luck with your test drive tomorrow. That was the thing I was mostly concerned about, actually, in that the dealer doesn't hear it when he test-drives my car. Yes, I agree w/ you there... I love my Honda, but there is a small problem like this, which is just annoying.
  • Options
    as elroy states, when you turn your wheels, if you hear a brrt brrt brrt, that is a tell-tale sign of CV joint wear probably due to a torn boot and loss of grease

but my money is on the strut / strut tower interface and possibly welds which were never properly ground down during assembly which now result in compliance where the strut and tower meet

hey it has affected my ody, several people's pilots, i think a few accords, yet- i'm admittedly guessing.

good luck.
  • Options
    Hi, here is an update on the metalic noise on my 2006 Accord. A service manager test drove the car and heard the noise. They pin-pointed the noise to the left front.

Then, the mechanic adjusted the "left front backing plate" and test drove my car again. They said the noise was gone.

I haven't had a chance to extensively test drive it but so far so good.

What's a the "left front backing plate"? They said the backing plate was knocking my the left front brakes/rotor. But no damage was done. It's a simple fix.

Thanks you all for your feedbacks and information.
  • Options
    bayareacabayareaca Member Posts: 2
    Model: 2007 Honda Accord LX Sedan with Auto Transmission.

Edmunds.com reports an invoice price of $18,864. I was quoted a sale price of $17,556 by a bay area dealer. Can I buy this car ? Will I get a better deal than this ? thanks.
  • Options
    mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    The backing plate is the tin dust plate behind the rotor. They can be easily bent when removing a tire, if you lower the tire before you clear the plate, you can hit it and bend it where it can contact the rotor.

If that's what they are talking about, it is a simple fix and is nothing to worry over.

Mrbill
  • Options
    This would make a lot of sense. I started noticing the metalic noise last Sat. night and I had my tires rotated at Honda Services last Thurs. I bet the mechanic bent the plate when he removed the tire.

Thanks for your explanation.
  • Options
    cadrechacadrecha Member Posts: 2
    Two things have recently occured on my Accord: first, the CD stopped operating, then the console lights with all the sound system controls appears to have shut down -- can't read LEDs for the clock, the climate control, radio -- nothing. Has this happened to anyone else?

Except for the CD not working, everything else works OK. Radio is fine, climate control is fine...
  • Options
    Honda has supposedly extended the warranty on the radio lights (which requires replacing the radio) to 7 years, 100,000 miles. Check it out.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    You'll find lots of examples of this problem and how to work with Honda by reading older messages here.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    cadrecha,

TSB #01012004 -- RADIO DISPLAY OR UPPER DISPLAY IS BLANK. HONDA. SERVICENEWS. *TT (NHTSA ID #10009074, JANUARY 01 2004)

TSB #04027 -- AUDIO-HVAC DISPLAY MODULE IS DIM OR DARK. *TT (NHTSA ID #10008514, JUNE 15 2004)

TSB #204 -- IN VEHICLE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM DISPLAY PROBLEMS. *NM (NHTSA ID #10014250, FEBRUARY 16 2004)

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm
  • Options
    Here is my update. Like bf109ace, I've had a similar noise coming from the bottom of my Accord. They raised the heat shield slightly to see if that would fix the problem. It didn't, and the noise came back intermittenly. They then found that the shield for the intermediate shaft was loose on a couple of bolts. (To be honest, I don't know where or what that is for). After tightening those bolts, the noise seems to be gone. I've yet to hear the same noise, so I think they've fixed the issue. But I'll let you know if the noise comes back. Thanks!
  • Options
    cadrechacadrecha Member Posts: 2
    Hi!
    Thanks everyone for the tips! I will check this stuff out this week with Honda.

I appreciate your help!!!

MEC
  • Options
    mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    TOKYO (Reuters) - Honda Motor Co. said on Tuesday it would recall about 166,000 vehicles in the United States of the Accord, Odyssey and five other models to fix a faulty component in the fuel pump.

The defect in the pump, manufactured by Japan's Mitsuba Corp. , could cause the engine to stop and fail to restart, said a spokesman at Honda, Japan's second-biggest automaker.

No accidents have been reported stemming from the defect.

The same defect affected about 30,000 of the 528,400 vehicles Honda said it would recall in China last week, the spokesman said. A recall filing for vehicles using the same component will also shortly be made in Japan, he said.

The cost of the recall is still unknown, he said.

Subject to the recall are some Accord, Accord hybrid, Odyssey, Acura TL, Acura RL, Acura TSX vehicles from the 2005 model year and some 2006 Ridgeline pickup trucks.

Shares in Mitsuba were down 1.4 percent at 974 yen at the midday break, while Honda was up 1.2 percent at 4,180 yen.

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=tnBusinessNews&st- oryID=2007-03-20T035421Z_01_T9885_RTRIDST_0_BUSINESS-HONDA-RECALL-US-DC.XML
  • Options
    It's not in the fuel pump (I think the link you have states it wrong). It's the fuel pump relay, located in the under dash fuse box. It's a simple fix. They probably just pull the old one out, and replace it with a new one (should take less than 5 mins). The relays in older Accords were way under the dash, and you had to remove the cruise control box to get to it. They were also made by Mitsuba. Maybe Honda should find a new relay supplier. Here's a link, if anyone wants to see which models are affected.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17689720
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    My lucky day. I have an '05 Accord, and an '05 Odyssey!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    madurbsmadurbs Member Posts: 19
    I'll trade you my 2000 Windstar for your 05 Odyssey. :)
  • Options
    kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    If you change the oil yourself, how does the MM know it has been done? Is there something to reset?

Kip
  • Options
    davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    If you change the oil yourself, how does the MM know it has been done? Is there something to reset?

Yes, the owner's manual contains instructions how to re-set the MM. You would have to do this in cases where (1) you do your own maintenance and (2) the place you used for maintenance didn't reset the MM for you.
  • Options
    carman18carman18 Member Posts: 1
    After a week of cold blast in the northeast, the heater seems to have stopped working. The temp control knob sends same cold air no matter you turn it to heat or cold. The only difference is when it's turned to the mid position you can hear the heater kicks in but with no heat. What could be the problem? Heater core or hose or ...? Please help!
  • Options
    htthtt Member Posts: 75
    I got rain leaked into my '04 Accord V6. I parked the car outside through out the night and it was raining hard. In the morning I didn't really see any water inside the car. But in the evening of the same day, the floor behind the driver seat was soaking wet. After some diagnosis, my theory is that the rain water got into the front driver door and got stuck there for some reasons. And it leaked slowly into the car. I saw a water trail underneath the driver seat leading to the back floor. Now my question is anyone knows how to remove the driver front door trim panels? I plan to use a garden water hose to simulate the rain and then open the door panels to see if water got stuck there. Thanks. PS. my car is just out of warranty.
  • Options
    How far out of warranty? Aren't the 04's part of the odometer class action suit? If so, you may have a few more miles left.
  • Options
    These instructions for the panel removeal are for the two door, but it's probably the same dasicly, as the sedan.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
  • Options
    The bottom page should be first. Oh well.
  • Options
    Unless I'm reading it wrong, it looks like you have the 4-door directions too, elroy. they start in the right column on page 20-10.
  • Options
    If the entire 4 door instructions are needed, I can post them. I have the service manual. I just figured the screws and clips would basicly be in the same place. The main thing to remember is do be careful, and not bend the panel taking it off. Whenever a door panel is removed, you can usually count on at least one of the clips being damaged. Most people don't replace them, if it's just one or two, but they are probably pretty cheap to buy at the dealership. A few cents a piece maybe.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • Options
    I bought the car in February 2004. I think it's out of warranty by one month. The law suit won't help the ones with more than 3 years old, right?
  • Options
    Ah yes, years would be the problem. I'd still take it back... maybe even to a couple of dealers. Honda has a reputation of making things right sometimes, even if it is out of warranty. One month ain't much.
  • Options
    mamamia2mamamia2 Member Posts: 707
    I would guess you have a simple problem with the rubber seal/trim around the door or the door frame... I know ours kept falling off in the back door. Even if it's just not in place, water creeped in between the 2 rubber seals. If that's the case, no need to worry about any mecahnical issues, just fix it (take it to the dealer, or you may need some contact cement to do it yourself) and have your car dried out and ventilated.
  • Options
    chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    Have you tried to turn the temperature knob
    to maximum, "High"?
  • Options
    geemanngeemann Member Posts: 8
    Hi Chuck, sounds like I have the same issue as you guys with my 2006 Accord. Window squeeks when all the way up. Can you send me the email with the fix?? Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    geemanngeemann Member Posts: 8
    I have similar issues with my front driver side window. Does anyone know if this kind of issue is covered under warranty??
  • Options
    If your car is still under warranty, take it to the dealer and describe the problem. They should be able to fix it. Sometimes they will just clean and lubricate the rubber seals. Other times, they will replace the runners for the windows. It all depends on what is causing the problem.
  • Options
    hybrid93hatchhybrid93hatch Member Posts: 35
    I just hit 20k in my 2006 LX (4cyl) and recently noticed my drivers window makes "creeking" sounds. Never heard it before. Just had the windows retinted not to long ago as well. Will Honda accept the complaint with tint or will they blame the tinter?

What is Hondas fix for the dash vin rattle? Also, my center console makes a "hard thump" when I hit a bump on the highway. The console did not have this rattle until Honda replaced the console which had a faulty door.

Thanks for any feedback.

Also, I was given a base model P.O.S. Neon while my car was in for repairs (2 days). Is this normal of Honda to give you a downgrade rental to what you purchased from them?? :mad: