Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Thanx a lot for the explanation but just tell me one more thing, how to spot it. How to find out if a car has orange peel?
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Here is a Google link to some images and resources describing the orange peel paint phenomenon that is ABSOLUTELY NOT UNIQUE to Hondas. It affects every single mass market brand of automobile to one degree or another.

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&q=%22Orange+Peel%22+paint&spell=1-
  • Sounds like your 04 got the same defective paint job at the factory as ours did. From your description it is a exact duplication of the way the finish looks on my 04. The tech expert that looked at ours stated it was a sub surface problem probably caused from a bad primer job----so if I were you,I would'nt be so naive to think that your hood flaking is a result of "bugs". Oh Yeah, my 04 contains 60% US/Canadian parts, 25% Japanese. Final assembly point was Marysville Ohio. So this problem is not restricted to a japanese paint booth.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    It's very obvious...."orange peel" is nothing subtle. It has the surface of an orange (exactly!) and a matte finish. It's best to spot it by viewing the panel at a shallow angle--(eyeball against the paint)-- not viewing perpendicular to the surface.
  • Mr Shiftright, from what I've read so far on this sight it's becoming more evident to me that "orange Peel" is just another name for a poor quality paint job. To me, theres no way the finish should have the surface of an orange & matte too. Honda has a paint problem.
  • dhoffdhoff Posts: 282
    rcc-

Thank you! You have saved me a trip to the dealer. I followed your instructions & now the auto up & down both work.

I bet those instructions are in my owner's manual. I need to crack it open sometime.

Thanks again.

Dave
    No a new car shouldn't have orange peel, that's true.

Sometimes what happens is that cars get damaged on their way to the dealer and are repaired prior to sale (minor damage) and these repairs are what shows orange peel.

But I do see orange peel on various new cars from time to time.
  • I purchased a 2005 Accord with the 4 cylinder. At 4500 miles along with cooler temperatures I also experienced the exact sounds from the engine. I had the oil changed at the dealer and before doing so I told them how the engine had valve noises the first 15 minutes of driving. The dealer suggested that the oil change should eliminate this ticking sound. Needless to say the sounds did not stop so I returned the car to the dealer with your story and they agreed to change the oil and that when the oil was changed the first time, the wrong oil was used. The service advisor did agree the sound was not normal. I am now advised to drive the car 1000 miles to monitor the situation. That's where my progress is. If you have experienced or obtained any information with your case please respond. By the way the second oil change has not eliminated the valve ticking.
    Thanks
  • steve58steve58 Posts: 24
    Mr. shiftright. with all due respect , i have to disagree with your post on "minor damage and orange peel". .haefr post #120 gives the most convincing reason for auto manufacturers paint issues. they are direct results of government enviromental decisions. what manufacturers need to do now is put the pressure on their engineers and designers to GET a solution! steve
    I think that automotive paints are better than ever. Ten years ago there were problems in the technology but I think that's all been solved. I've quizzed some top notch body shops in California about this and they have assured me that any problems are in application of the paints, not the paints themselves. They are very happy with the products.
  • nash123nash123 Posts: 82
    Update in case anybody ever needs it:

I took it to the friendly people at Carr's Honda in Chicago, they have a body shop there. Their tech came out with the putty knife and pulled the piece off as he was working his way with the putty knife. No scratches whatsoever. The old clips came out with the piece so nothing fell into the door compartment. Then went the new piece in. Took 10 minutes max.
  • Thanks very much for that very informative answer. I'm printing this out and taking it with me to the dealer.

Thanks again!
  • vu2000vu2000 Posts: 58
    My car was also bought used with 5200 miles. The first time I heard the noise, I changed the oil myself with 5W20 oil and a Honda filter. This car's oil was initially changed by a Honda dealership with Honda filter before I bought it. I have changed the oil 3 times already, the car now had 12000 miles, still making noise on cold start.
    I am waiting another month or two before bringing it to another Honda dealership and have it checked again. Please post again if you ever find out what is wrong with the car. I will post again if this is ever fixed. I hope I will not hear the same line "they all make that noise". Other than this one nagging noise from the engine, I like everything else about this car.
  • Not sure if this is the place to ask about this but I have a 2006 Honda Accord VP. From what I read online since I could not find it in the user's manual is the gas tank capacity.

I read online it is 17.1 but my low gas light comes on around 12.5 gals is this correct? Is Honda trying to be safe with a 5 gallon reserve? I know Toyotas and Mazdas I have owned in the past has a 2 gal reserve aka if it has 15 gal the light would come on around when only 1-3 gal were left.
  • I have a 2006 Accord with the touch screen. What's the best way to clean off the fingerprints?
    Thanks.
  • Soft cloth dampened with water, followed by dry cloth to remove moisture, works for me.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 858
    ....I filled up immediately after my low fuel lite came on this week. My owners manual sez 17.1;took about 13.8.

Ergo: my reserve is circa 3.3 gallons.....FWIW

best, ez..
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    exactly. the semantics of the light is "low level", not "low-low" level.

if you think about it, it may not be immediately noticed, nor if it is noticed - acted upon right away. all the hondas i have owned have been equally conservative.

like you, once you fill up a few times after the light illuminating, you can see if it is consistent and then feel more secure knowing you have a bit of reserve to find an open station.

let's say 3.3 gallons would get you 90miles (30MPG). what would someone prefer instead, only having 1/2 a gallon remaining to be the trigger for the light first illuminating?
  • I have just noticed the exact same condition with my 2003 EX V6. Oncoming cars think I am flashing my brights, it is getting to be very bothersome. Have you gotten to the bottom og your problem?
  • altair9altair9 Posts: 10
    I have a 4 cyl,2005. EX,AT. The car has only 3000 miles. I am noticing a ticking or clicking now that the weather is cold. It seems to be most prevalent when the accelerator is pressed, and disappears or lessens when I take my foot off the accelerator. Is this the same as what other posters are describing? I would assume that if it was a valve problem, I would hear it all the time, not just with the accelerator? I bought the car in the summer and did not experience any noise originally. I have not yet changed the oil but have had the car since beginning of June, so I am going to change the oil soon. Is the ticking/clicking something I should be concerned about. I don't want to just get paranoid for every problem from reading the boards!! Thanks for input in advance.
  • haefrhaefr Posts: 600
    I had a '96 Accord with the 2.2L I4. The valves ticked when cold from the get-go. Seven years later, they still ticked when cold - no louder, no softer. This was in spite of meticulous valve adjustments performed by yours truly every 12,000 miles. These were mechanical, adjustable valve lifters. I don't know whether Honda has finally gone to hydraulic lifters in their Accord 4-cyl engines, but cold start noise from mechanical, adjustable lifters is perfectly normal. One other point about mechanical lifters: it is possible to adjust all slack out of mechanical lifters. That will assure complete silence from the valve train in operation. It will also assure burned valve facings since the valves won't completely close once the engine is fully warmed. (Things expand when hot.) Complete closure allows heat from the valve facings to be dissipated through the cylinder head at the contact surface. My current car, an '03 Sonata V6, has hydraulic lifters. But, there is a very slight ticking sound at idle - warm or cold. Bad hydraulic lifters? Nope. It's the normal "popping" of the fuel injectors' solonoid valves operating. Ain't modern technology wunnerful?
  • your assessment of the valve design in honda steers me to believe that you're mechanically inclined. please set me at ease this new honda i purchased is my first japanese auto but consider the following,in my 45 years of life,i have owned these engines previously,the chevy 305,the fords 400m,302,300-6,3.0v6, and currently the 5.4 triton past dodge engines of the 340 and 2.7,currently the 5.9.My sons' car 3.8 ford. i consider myself an avid oil changer. as a construction contractor,i have logged over 100,000 hours with several honda generators each. motorcycle engine sizes from childhood 100cc to my current 1100cc honda cruiser. i also maintain a 500cc 2stroke with oils. i will not list numerous smaller yard engines. yet some of these machines have mechanical valves. out of all engines i've owned, not one was lost due to oil related issues. this 5.4 triton i must admit sounds during cold starts as though the engine is absolutely dry of oil,but for only 1-3 seconds. this 2005 honda 2.4 sounds partially starved for 5-10 minutes. please elaborate your last posting.
    If you're having these kinds of problems it's a great idea to change the brand of oil filter you are using. I know for certain that Audi for instance will actually collapse lifters if non OEM filters are used---no harm done---change the filter and the car runs great again.
  • While $470 is certainly a small price to pay with regards to one's life; it's a lot to pay for maintenance of your vehicle. I do alot of my own maintenance because I like to save money when I can. I am not confident when it comes to changing brake fluid because I do not have the proper equipment. With my luck I would get air in the lines and wind up having to take it to the dealer to have it done right anyway. However, even with limited mechanical "know how" the other "replaces" would be easy to do and could save "labor" charges. The money saved could buy dinner for you and the "Mrs." :)
  • Hi.... David here.

I have always had excellent results with Chevron gas, 87 octane. It is a little more expensive than some others but in the long run I believe it's worth it. Besides, Honda recommends it as one of the original Top Tier Gasolines. You do not necessarily have to use it all of the time but maybe every other tankful. Of course you could always stick with your usual gas and use Techron additive as you fill up. :D
  • Make : HONDA Model : ACCORD Year : 2004
    Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)
    Service Bulletin Num : 03036 Date of Bulletin: JUN 03, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number: 10003480
    Component: SUSPENSION
    Summary Description:
    VEHICLE DRIFTS TO THE RIGHT. *TT

Hope this helps. :D
  • "honda has a reputation for soft, thin and super orange peely paint"

Really? Hmmm.... Based on what evidence? :confuse:
  • Alright...awesome explanation about the paint process.

• I see this issue alot, We have yet to pin down what driving conditions or styles that seem to contribute to this. I'll keep you posted though if anything turns up.
  • How dark you can tint and should tint are different questions. The first to consider is what is allowed by law in your state. the second is will it impair safe operation of the vehicle? lastly, Do you have a navi system in your car? it will affect that as well, possibly even disable it if there is any metallic component to your tint...