Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    It's the books,man.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    The airbag light is probably caused by the diver side seat belt buckle. Seatbelts are covered under lifetime warranty (safety), so the dealership should not charge you anything to change it. If you buckle the seatbelt, before turning the key, the light might stay off, even though the buckle is not working like it should. If you can get the light to stay off, by buckling the seatbelt first, it's definitely the buckle causing the light. Good luck
  • Options
    yoribe2yoribe2 Member Posts: 65
    Thank you for your responses.

I will remember to buckle my seat belt before turning on the ignition with the passenger seat cleared of my belongings and see if this issue recurs.

Best Regards,
    Y
  • Options
    patty29patty29 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Honda Accord and have the same problem, my radio display light goes dark but the music also CUTS OUT, a few seconds later - it's back to normal. At first I thought it was the radio station - but no - it happened while on another station. Today was the first day I've experienced this problem (it happened 3 times in an 8 mile trip home from the store). I hope I don't have to worry about an electrical fire. I am going to follow the suggestion from woogie03 and Call the 800# American Honda. and register my complaint, and then call my dealer. Thanks for your help. If there is anything else I should know about this problem Im all ears.
  • Options
    mstee88mstee88 Member Posts: 1
    MY CRUISE LIGHT COME ON AND OFF, DA RADIO GO UP AND DOWN, MY WARRANTY IS EXPIRE I HAVE 45,00 MILES.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Why all the YELLING? And, what's the question? What model do you have?
  • Options
    woogie03woogie03 Member Posts: 4
    EX
  • Options
    jmaxejmaxe Member Posts: 198
    Sometimes the seat belt light stays on in my 2004 EXV6. Does it with and without a passenger in the right seat. When no passenger, the seat is empty (no books, etc). Is intermittent but is happening more frequently. Am I toast?
  • Options
    Looks like the record heat in Tx may have done in my AC. My 04 EXV6 is slow to cool down but eventually cools well when driving. However, whenever I stop, the AC starts to warm up. Firestone checked it out and said the expansion valve is sticking. They want $760 for new valve, drier, refrigerant and all the labor. Does this sound reasonable?
  • Options
    Your air bag light may be caused by the driver seat belt buckle. If you buckle the seat belt, before turning the key on, does the light go out, and stay off? If this cures the light problem, the buckle is likely the cause. The dealership will fix this at no charge, per the lifetime seat belt warranty. I was able to fix my buckle myself, but don't know how long it will last.
  • Options
    Thanks, your suggestion seems to work. I'll ask the dealer to look at the buckle.
  • Options
    stripe1stripe1 Member Posts: 72
    I purchase my 06 Accord V-6 Sdn 10-31-05. It now has 36,000 miles. Do I need to change my anti freeze? If not, when?

Thanks
  • Options
    The coolant is supposed to be good for 100k miles, according to my 03 V6 manual, but I changed mine at 45k. I used Honda coolant.
  • Options
    radamo2001radamo2001 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I just purchased a 2007 Honda Accord EX and twice it has been parked outside during a thunderstorm. When I go out to the car after the storm, all my windows are partway rolled down - all four of them rolled down the exact same distance - and my doors will no longer be unlocked. Both times, my windows were rolled up and my doors locked when I parked the car. I think the thunder/lighting must be causing some electrical malfunction. Have you ever heard of this happening before?

Also, I've noticed that the steering shakes/shimmies occasionally when I brake (usually not at low speeds on smooth, straight roads... it seems to happen most at around 30mph and changing lanes or exiting the freeway, or otherwise tyring to slow down and steer at the same time).

I plan to take the car in. I was just hoping that someone here could give some insight as to what could be causing these problems so I can be as educated as possible when I talk to the service technician.

Thanks so much,
    Robin
  • Options
    freeflightfreeflight Member Posts: 12
    My 04 Accord LX has 98K miles on it. I had major service done on it last week, which includes change transmission fluid, oil, brake fluid etc. The dealer also recommended changing the battery saying it is failing a load test. Since I start the car fine every time, I haven't get around to do that.

A couple of days after the service, after a hard stop in highway traffic, the engine shut down and all light on instructment panel came on, with transmission in D. I manage to shift to P and restart the car and continue driving. After this incident, I notice that when I reach a complete stop in D gear at red light, I clearly hear several click sounds in front (sounds like the gears are trying to engage), after that the whole car shakes quite significantly with "boom" noise, almost like it is being rear-ended. :mad:

While it is making the click sounds and shakes, the transmission indicator light D is solid (not flashing), and malfunction light doesn't light up. The transmission fluid appears to be slightly above the high mark.

I also tried to put the transmission in different gears. The problem only appears in D and R, P and N are fine. I am able to reproduce this problem about 70% of the time. The car appears fine otherwise. I am still getting 33 MPG on freeway. It doesn't slip when accelerating, and engine RPM is normal. Oh, it makes whining noise at 45-60 MPH, which has been there for a few years.

I really worry that this is a sign of transmission failure. Can someone tell me what could be the problem? What should I do?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Kevin
  • Options
    ehizoehizo Member Posts: 1
    My 2007 honda accord air bag keep flashing, what do i do please
  • Options
    tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    Hello Robin -

I think I know what's going on, at least with the windows. This generation Accord was designed to allow you to roll your windows down with the FOB. Chances are when you unlock your doors and hit the button that second time to unlock all the doors you are holding it a little too long causing the roll down feature to be activated. Hopefully this helps.

I use this feature all the time especially during the summer.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    When I go out to the car after the storm, all my windows are partway rolled down - all four of them rolled down the exact same distance - and my doors will no longer be unlocked.

Tank's explanation works if you made an error while typing. (I think you meant that the doors will no longer be locked.) Holding down the unlock button a second time will roll all the windows down (one of my favorite features on this car) but the doors should be unlocked... unless you wait longer than 30 seconds. Then they re-lock themselves.

If the interior of the car is quite wet during those thunderstorms and the car is indeed locked, then I'm guessing the windows are rolling down another time.

As for the shimmies when braking, you are probably experiencing worn or warped rotors. They can be rotated or replaced. There are plenty of opinions about which to do. :)
  • Options
    stripe1stripe1 Member Posts: 72
    Thanks my friend.

Happy Labor Day to all.
  • Options
    dingle09dingle09 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Accord sedan EX. Recently, I have had problems starting the car and get a grinding noise and the car doesn't start. I wait a few minutes and try again and it will start. It is not the battery. It seems to happen at any time of the day - when it has been sitting for a while and when I have stopped for a few minutes and then restarted the car. It's making me nuts. The dealer says they can't do anything unless they see/hear it happen. Anyone have any experience like this? I am desperate and afraid of getting stuck somewhere with a dead car. Thanks. :cry:
  • Options
    chief_obiechief_obie Member Posts: 2
    2005 Accord EX 4cyl has over 50,000 miles and ready for new tires. I like the way the OEM Michelin Energy MXV4 handle. I've read about everything I can on Tirerack and many posts on here about alternative tires. The story I am getting is the OEMs are noisy and do not perform well on wet pavement. Suggested replacement tires - "corner well" "good traction" "smooth" All important traits of a tire. I like the confident feel on the steering wheel and do not want a "mushy" tire even if it grips the road like glue. My direct question is, which tire handles as well as the Energy MXV4?

Some I am considering are:

Dunlop SP Sport
    Bridgestone Potenza
    Yokohama V4S

Secondary question: What's the difference between the Energy MXV4 Plus and Energy MXV4 S8 ?
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,563
    Well, I have the same car, and just got tires, so I should be qualified!

I hated the OEM michelins. Terrible wet traction for at least 1/2 of their life, and downright scary once I got over about 30K (I replaced at ~40K). I had to creep around off rap=mps they slid so much.

After much review (including a nice comparison test at tirerack), I went with the Yokohama Avids. I actually went with the H4, since I don't exactly overtax the car, and I never did understand why a 4 cyl needed V rated in the first place! But, the V's are pretty much the same, just a little more $.

Anyway, I love them. excellent road holding, great in the wet, and just as quiet as the Michs. Obviously they will be better than shot tires, but fro what i can remember, they are better than when the OEMs were brand new.

Oh, and they cost about 1/4 - 1/2 less than the michelins.

Just wish I kept one though. I have a 2000 TL that uses the same size, and 1 of the Energys has a sidewall bubble and needs to be replaced. Got quoted anywhere from 120-190 for 1 tire.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    chief_obiechief_obie Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for sharing stickguy. The tests and reviews are helpful, but don't always tell the whole story. I was leaning toward Michelin Primacy. A friend has them on his Accord and while they are smooth, they do not seem as responsive as the Energy. I really like the steering response from the Energys, and don't want to compromise from that. Do you feel the same tight steering response as you did with the Energy?

My son has a set of Avids and really likes them, but he's driving a Toyota so the comparison isn't the same.
  • Options
    well, one negative to the accord has always been steering that is a bit too light. But, I believe it is better with the avids, but that might just be as a result of having traction again! The Michilins were very slippery, especially toward the end.

anyway, they handle very well.

your best bet is probably one of the tire chains that lets you trade in if you don't like them. I actually did that once, no hassle and no cost.

• Options
    I never had much luck with the Michelins. A road hazard would always do them in way before the tread was worn (bulges in the sidewall, and a sharp rock punctured one of them). At only 3 years old the Michelins looked like they were dry rotting. The Energy Michelins are designed to be lightweight, and low rolling resistance, for high mileage, but imo are not very durable.. I ended up with some Bridgestone Turanza LS (I think they changed the name to Serenity). They ride just as smooth, a little quieter, and have much better wet traction. They are heavier, so I lost 1-2mpg, but I will gladly trade mileage for a tire with more traction, and more durable than the Michelins.
  • Options
    I have Potenzas (G019 Grid) on my '06 EX 4-cyl. Just replaced the Energy tires at 50k as well. They are great tires for grip. They bite well, and hold a certain curve/off-ramp at 60 where the old tires would've been yelling for mercy at 50 when they were new. They handle great in the wet (I've yet to use ABS all summer, where ABS pulsed like crazy towards the end of the life of the OEM Michelins). Road noise is comparable to the Michelins, but steering is more crisp on center with the Potenzas.

For the record, I also have a '96 LX and put the previous-generation of the same tire (Potenza G009) and have nothing but positive things to say about them in that car. I have right at 30k miles on them, and they are wearing slowly, evenly (rotate every 8k miles, every other oil change). Noise is still respectable, and grip is good, if not as good as the new ones (probably due to the 185mm width on the '96 vs. the 205mm on the '06).

Anyway, long-story short - I don't feel you can go wrong with Bridgestone Potenza G019 series tires. I've had good luck with them - twice, and would definitely make the purchase again when these wear out.

Hope this helps.

TheGrad :)
  • Options
    Wow... you had to replace the OEMs already? I remember you and I discussing this when our cars were new. You had the Michelins and I had the Bridgestones as OEM. I think I've only seen one other poster here who also had the Bridgestones.

At any rate, mine have 6/32 left on them at 73k miles. I've been very happy with them.
  • Options
    tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    I have no idea what my car came with new since I bought used and had Republican Ensigns. Those were terrible tires. In the winter when I went through even an inch of snow my ABS would pulse all the time and would scream if I went into a corner at even a reasonable speed.

I replaced those in February with Bridgestone Potenza G019s and they have been great. I agree that the steering feels more precise and I can take turns a little faster without having to worry about tires screaming and the car breaking loose.

OP you have 2 thumbs up from me for the Potenzas and I'm assuming from the brief review that Grad would agree with me. :)
  • Options
    plethysmoplethysmo Member Posts: 42
    I replaced the original tires on my 03 V6 coupe with Michelin MXV4 S8 All Season.
    They are softer, quieter, and reduced mileage by 1 mpg.
  • Options
    Yeah; they weren't down to the "warning bars" yet, but I'd had enough hydroplaning. During one particular rainstorm back in June, I was tracking straight, but the rain was so loud, I didn't realize that traction was so bad I was doing an indicated 110 MPH even though it was actually 40 or so. This was on a beltway interstate (I-459 B'ham, AL) that doesn't typically hold water badly. Couple that with several ABS stops on little more than damp pavement, and I was done. New tires please! The car had right at 50k when I replaced them. They still smell like new tennis shoes. :)

Well worth the $94.99 a tire I paid for mine.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    I still have my oe bridgstone tires at 70,000 miles, and I have some good life inn them still. I rule snoows in the winter so I am closer to 45 or 50 k miles. They should take me to 70k or so. 40 psi does help with wear as well.

I love the tires as they wear. As physics dictates they are better in every regard except for the rain. Less tread means less weight and better mpg, it also means less rollover and more rubber on the road for better handling.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention the secondary reason I replaced my tires (the OEM Michelins) was the cracks in the sidewalls. They were getting more prominent. Buying tires a little early is worth the peace of mind to me.
  • Options
    Hmmm, I wonder of Honda put Bridgestones on cars with manuals and Michelins on automatics.
  • Options
    my 2005 EXL stick came with michelins. I guess it was whatever they had on hand? hard to believe they cost the same to Honda, considering how much more OEM replacements cost in the michelins.

• Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    My '07 EX stick has Bridgestones. Maybe the leather ones got the "more premium" Michelins? My '93 had MXVs then MXV4s then Khumo Escta ASXs. All 4 of those Khumos were less than 1 MXV4 Energy and handled great.
  • Options
    I have an EX-L. I guess there was no rhyme or reason. And after reading what the Michelin people have to say, I'm thinking the Bridgestones are more "premium".
  • Options
    Nope, cloth 2006 EX for me, came with the Michelins. Dad's 03 and 05 Ex cloth sedans had Michelins too. Regional? We're in Birmingham.
  • Options
    tldtld Member Posts: 37
    In my ignorance I never really thought about tires coming from China. I always thought they made lower price items like toys and such. Anyone know which manufacturers import their tires from China?
  • Options
    tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    I had my starter give me problems (would work, then it would turn VERY slooooowly, then it would work again); had to leave car overnight for the dealer to reproduce the issue. It was a short in the starter (2006 Accord EX-L V6 MT). They replaced starter under warranty and now all is well
  • Options
    coesterlycoesterly Member Posts: 5
    Hi-

I just purchased this 2005 Accord LX used with 67K miles.

When I parked my car, I noticed a leak near my front right tire, behind the engine compartment. It appears to be water. Is this normal? Is it the ac condenser unit? Thank you.
  • Options
    mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Yes, that should be coming from the A/C. If not, then it's water that collected from rain or a car wash that's dripping.

Assuming there is coolant in the radiator, there is nothing in an auto that uses straight water.

Mrbill
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply!

Is the AC condensor leaking water or a fluid that needs to be replaced?

What do I need to do to fix it? Is it costly?
  • Options
    no, it is normal to drip like that. basically that is what the AC does, take water out of the air. And it has to go somewhere, which is your driveway when you stop and park with the AC going.

• Options
    Thanks,

I'm assuming that driving in HOT Hawaii with the AC on blast would create a lot of condensation. What would you guys recommend I do for a maintenance since it is a used car from a private party? Just an oil change, or take it in to Honda for a $119 inspection?
  • Options
    well, usually you get it inspected before you buy it..

But, if you don't have any records, not a bad idea to get an oil change. Honda dealers do a multi point inspection as part of that, so the big stuff (battery condition, brakes, suspenion, etc.)

If you ant a more thorough check out done, you could pay them, or have an indy shop do it.

You should also ask the honda dealer if they have service or warranty records on the car for anything done through the dealer.

• Options
    Awesome- Thank you!
  • Options
    amaoamao Member Posts: 38
    My car is 2007 4 cylinder SE and it has about 2,6000 miles. Recently, I notice the engine becomes a bit sluggish and the car definitely loses its zip. What can be the problem? TIA!
  • Options
    mileagemileage Member Posts: 9
    2006 accord lx would not start. 2 honda service depts said the battery passed the test. 1 of the service depts wanted to replace the starter. Independent mechanic discovered the battery needed replacing. Saved lots of money.
  • Options
    savegassavegas Member Posts: 26
    I took my 2007 I4 Auto SE (28,000 miles) to dealer to check the abnormal valve noise when car engine is cold issue.
    With a big surpise that mechanic found out one of the piston is not align with cylinder correctly, so that they will replace the whole buttom part of engine (new parts) under the warranty.
    It will take them 4 days to perform the work and I just hope everything will come out correctly this time.

Questions:
    Any special things I shall know when bottom of engine is replaced?
    Honda factory is using special oil into the new engine, shall I do something special when bottom of engine is replaced?

Please advise.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    bav_fan07bav_fan07 Member Posts: 68
    Just wanted peoples opinions on replacing the spark plugs for a 2003 Honda Accord EX-L I4.

The car is almost 7 years old. Was wondering if anyone out there thinks it would be worth it or wise to replace the spark plugs? Fuel economy has dropped but the car only has 83,000 kms on it. I've heard the NGK plugs last until 160,000 kms. Thoughts? or is replacing plugs a waste of time?