Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    Do you know the capacity for the brake system? How much fluid do I need to get?
  • Options
    biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    Just did a complete bleeding of the brake fluid in my 04 Accord. Used a little less than a quart of DOT 3 brake fluid. Start by draining the old fluid out of the reservoir and filling the reservoir with clean fluid. You bleed the calipers in the following sequence- LF, RF, RR, LR. I use a piece of clear plastic tubing with a check valve on the end that will let fluid our of the caliper and prevent the fluid from being drawn back in the tube. Spray the bleed valves with some WD40 before you begin. Use an assistant to set behind the wheel, open the bleed valve about 3/4 to 1 turn and tell the assistant to slowly pump the brake pedal 6-8 times. You should see clean fluid with no air bubbles coming out of the caliper. When all is complete shut the bleed valve and proceed to the next caliper. Make sure to refill the reservoir after every 8 pumps of the brake pedal. Takes less than an hour.
  • Options
    blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I would let the dealer perform the maintenance required by Honda to keep the car in warranty. Forget the extras. I let the dealer do all the required maintainence while it's in warranty. I just do the things I think important after the warranty expires. .02.
  • Options
    Time to change your plugs,Elroy? Mine were tight at 90k. Love to see the #14 car win and the #18 car lose.
  • Options
    elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Time to change your plugs,Elroy? Mine were tight at 90k.

I don't think I'm going to change them yet (67k miles). I just took one out to see what condition it was in, and to find out which plugs I had (it was the Denso plugs). Getting the rear bank plugs out is a tight space, so I'm trying to find the perfect tool set-up for the job. I have a few ideas, just have to find them in a store. Doing your own maintenance does not void your warranty. Of course, if you screw something up, the warranty is not going to cover it, but I've been doing my own maintenance since 1980, and haven't screwed anything up yet. I buy a service manual for each car/truck I own, so I do things the right way. It gives me a sense of accomplishment, I learn about how my car works, and I save some $$ at the same time. I have a acquired an assortment of tools along the way.
  • Options
    Love to see the #14 car win and the #18 car lose.

Tony may be the only driver that can take that 4th straight cup from Jimmy. I hope all those M&Ms give #18 the runs. ;)
  • Options
    Lol. I agree with you re the maintainence. I'm just not the wrench you are. The 2 rear bank plugs were almost seized at 90k. I learned that,for my car at least,6 years is all I'm going to go on plugs. I got my NGK platinums for $10 a shot at Auto Zone. Take care.
  • Options
    jikjik Member Posts: 144
    I have 07 accord and it has only 4000 miles oil at 50 %

I have seen so many contradictory opinions.

Never changed oil since purchase.

Can someone help? When should I do oil change wiat till 15 %?
  • Options
    bav_fan07bav_fan07 Member Posts: 68
    Hi there, how long has it been?

If it has been more then 3 months, I would suggest to get the oil changed. It also depends on what area you live in. If you're in a hot weather area, I would suggest to get it done asap/

However, its really up to you. You can probably go to 6000-6500 miles with out worry. Honda usually recommends 3-4 months or up to 6000 miles. Check out www.honda.com for the recommended schedule.

If you have an extended warranty, you may want to follow their maintenance schedule. Usually thats the caveat with extended warranties through the dealer - if you do not follow their schedule, it could void any extended warranty service. Just a heads up....
  • Options
    grampy1grampy1 Member Posts: 140
    I believe Honda recommends you change the oil at least once a YEAR for low mileage vehicles such as yours.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Honda puts a special oil in new cars that they suggest should stay in until at least 5000 miles. It helps protect your engine from metal shavings, etc from production.

After that, you get to decide whether you side with the crowd that follows the "cheap insurance to change oil every 3000 miles" philosophy or those who use Honda's Maintenance Minder system and change it when it says 15%. You can do a Google search on "3000 mile oil change myth" and find lots of pros and cons.

Finally, Grampy's advice is correct: If you don't drive very many miles, Honda recommends that you change your oil at least once a year.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you own a 2006 – 2010 Honda Accord and live in the Los Angeles area, please contact ctalati@edmunds.com by August 12 if you’re interested in being contacted for more information on your vehicle ownership experience.
  • Options
    May i ask why just the L.A.area?
  • Options
    skrisskris Member Posts: 4
    Hi,
    I have noticed in the last few days that the AC seems to be overworked every time I start the car. I always leave my AC on auto. Even if I keep set the temperature to 85 and there is very less air coming out of the vents, the AC is very loud and seems to be running at full blast. I dont hear any metallic clanks or knocking noise.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Kris
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Reporters contact our PR department asking for responses from members who fit whatever profile they seek. We really wouldn't know why the reporter is limiting his/her request to just this geographical area. Sorry! :)

You may wish to write to Chintan, though, to see if he has a better response for you. If you learn anything, let us know!
  • Options
    Thanks pat. I was just curious
  • Options
    srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    @carzzz

I think the last time I did the oil change in the 2004 Accord 4 cyl, I went with 5W-20. but you had said to go w/ 5w-30 if the powertrain has expired because of the higher temparature protection. So I've been trying to stick to that.

I can't remember what mileage my Accord was at when I did the last oil change but looking at the date of my post, I think it was close to memorial day. So hopefully the oil is still good. Next time around I was planningon trying to go back to 5w-30 unless you advise otherwise.
  • Options
    srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    Damn, my 2004 Accord is well past 100k miles otherwise this would have been something to not worry about. I think the audio system/navi is working good though
  • Options
    I don't think the nav screens are included in the extended warranty. The issue with the screens probably doesn't apply to nav models.
  • Options
    Honda30Honda30 Member Posts: 16
    The power door lock is not functioning on the driver's door of my 2004 Accord 4 Dr. The other 3 doors are ok. I suspect its the solenoid. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone know if there is a TSB regarding this issue?

Thanks
  • Options
    Could be the lock actuator. I replaced mine not long ago, because it was moving up and down very slowly. Was yours slowing down? Does it work at all? If not, it could also be the switch. Changing the actuator is not easy, you have to work in a tight space (inside the door) with a lot of rods, cables, and wires. You have to remove the latch mechanism, then remove the actuator from it. Good luck.

PS: If you want to test the actuator before assuming it's the problem, you just have to apply battery voltage (only intermittently) to the connectors, and see if it works that way.
  • Options
    Yes I did test it and it is the actuator. It did not slow down. It just quit working. So your saying you have to remove the latch (by removing the 3 screws) before you can remove the actuator assembly from it?
  • Options
    So your saying you have to remove the latch (by removing the 3 screws) before you can remove the actuator assembly from it?

Right. There are two rods connected to the actuator. Be careful not to break the little clips that hold the rods in place. You have to swing them open, not just yank on the rod, to get them out. There are two wire connectors, and two cables (one to the inside handle and the other to the lock knob. Make sure you don't forget to put all 6---2 rods, 2 cables, and 2 wire connectors back together correctly, or you will have problems opening the door. There is only one screw holding the actuator to the latch, then you have to carefully pry them apart. The actuator cost me $25 at the dealership. Be careful peeling back the moisture barrier, because you want to be able to reuse it. I sliced through the adhesive with a knife as close to the door as I could, so most of the glue would be on the barrier, for when I put it back on. There are a lot of screws and everything has to go back together exactly like it was. Take pictures, if necessary. Good luck
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I did have the panel off to diagnose the problem. I am in no hurry so I'll buy the part and do it when I have time.

Did you have to move the window channel to get the actuator out?
  • Options
    I didn't move the window channel, but I've been told it would have made the job easier. I found out after I did the job, that the directions for removing the channel were under latch removal section in the service manual.
  • Options
    janitor00janitor00 Member Posts: 1
    I was hoping someone could give me some insight on this. I was listening to my cd player after softball for an hour or two when the juice in my battery died. I ended up jumping it and when my car had life again the radio/cd player did not work. It says "ErrE" and there is no sound of any sort. I can't even get to a radio station. My driver window auto feature doesn't work now either. I check the fuse but had no luck. Does anyone have any insight?
    :confuse:
  • Options
    mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    AS far as the radio, you need to re-enter the security code to get it working. You should have received a card when you bought your car with the code numbers. If not, you will need to get the code number from a dealer.

Mrbill
  • Options
    So last week I did the 30k service...(at almost exactly 28,000 miles)
    1. tire rotation - Bridgestone Turanza OEM tires look fine
    2. brake flushing
    3. change air filters
    4. change oil filter - so the guy at the local Honda dealer had a cow about how I need to use Honda parts because they are so much better (I ordered the filter from H&A accessories online, same with air filter). Prior to now the car had only been serviced by that dealer, and it had a Valvoline filter on it when I changed it, and it was WAY overtorqued (9-10n-m shouldn't require a breaker bar with extension).
    5. Change oil - Castrol GTX 5w20
    6. Inspected every moving suspension joint (LCA, UCA, ball joints, tie rods etc)...it was interesting, the '93 had little covers on the bolts for the UCA and LCA that the '07 doesn't have. I sure hope I still don't have the car when those are rusted solid.
    7. Installed official Honda "Leather shift knob" woot woot its just like a Ferrari now

The tire and brake stuff took about 45 minutes. I got one of those mitivac brake bleeders and it was easy; wife was stoked she didn't have to sit and pump the brake for an hour. I think the oil change was where things went to pieces (everything over-torqued, cracked oil drain basin), but all in all, everything was pretty easy. I do like my leather shift knob :P
  • Options
    I got one of those mitivac brake bleeders and it was easy; wife was stoked she didn't have to sit and pump the brake for an hour

Yes, I'm glad I have the mity-vac for two reasons. 1. Who wants to sit in your car, and wear himself out pushing the brake pedal (for quite a while). :( 2. It could mean a longer lifespan for your master cylinder. Not to mention the constant tightening and loosening of the bleeder bolt.
  • Options
    go_orangego_orange Member Posts: 28
    I skimped on my last maintenance in April @ about 26,000 miles because it was near the end of my lease term. I unexpectedly bought the car. I'm trying to figure out what I missed so I can attend to it now. It's only 2,000 miles later. Got an oil change and not the other stuff that was called for at the time. Didn't make a note of the letter + number combination that was showing on the on-board computer at the time. Not the way it used to be that you could check the owner's manual and find out the maintenance items that should have been performed at a certain mileage interval. I have a 2006 Accord LX V6. Can anyone help me out based on their experience and records of maintenance done on their Accord at about 26,000 miles?

Thanks.
  • Options
    You can find maintenance requirements as well as a wealth of other information right here: Maintenance Schedules, Recalls and Technical Service Bulletins.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    The most accurate information regarding required maintenance is from the Honda Owners site located at the Honda website. I have found that the Edmunds maintenance information not to be completely accurate, and you can risk voiding the factory warranty if you solely rely on it.
  • Options
    It's actually most useful to follow the schedule in one's very own owner's manual!
  • Options
    tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    I can understand why he's asking. From the sounds of it he has the maintenance minder system and as such there aren't any set mileage or time requirements for maintenance and the car "tells" you what needs to be done and when. At least that's why I'm assuming he's asking.
  • Options
    I can understand why he's asking. From the sounds of it he has the maintenance minder system and as such there aren't any set mileage or time requirements for maintenance and the car "tells" you what needs to be done and when. At least that's why I'm assuming he's asking.

it took me a minute to understand the system, there is A&B and 1-5 that illuminate in the message center area where the ODO is. Those letters and numbers refer to services listed in the owner's manual. 1 is an oil change, 3 is a trans fluid change, etc.
  • Options
    davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    Your understanding is correct, and therefore the responses received so far (although appreciated) have not been helpful for me to obtain the informaiton I am seeking. What I really need is for contirbutors to this forum with 2006 Accords to tell me what their cars' on-board maintenance minder systems called for at or about about 26,0000 miles. The letter-number combination (e.g., B5) is all I need. With that info, I can look it up in my owner's manual and determine what I missed. I recall that my car called for more than a basic oil change (A1) at that time, though I do not recall the letter-number combination that was showing on my car's dash at that time.

Thanks.

davidd3 and go_orange are the same guy. Depending which computer I use it comes up different. I forgot my info after a long period of inactivity and recently created a new screen name. Yet another computer I use still remembers my previous info and posts from that computer appear with my original screen name.
  • Options
    I'm over 70k on my 06 I4 manual but I believe that you are okay at 26k. You probably had the MM numbers to change the cabin filter and air filter. The rest were just things to check/inspect.

Cabin and air filters are supposed to be done around 30k so I waited on those. Easy to do yourself. Your dealer will have 30k suggestions that may or may not be worth it. Changing the transmission and brake fluids may be worth the time and money.

I suggest that you rest easy until 30k or your next oil change. Perhaps Elroy or another v6 owner will have different info than my I4 experience.
  • Options
    Perhaps Elroy or another v6 owner will have different info than my I4 experience.

Sorry, but my 03 V6 didn't have the Maintenance Minder, so I don't know much about them. I'm glad my car doesn't have it, because I would not wait to change the oil and check the filters. The MM extends the intervals more than I like (7-8k miles between oil changes? :surprise: No way).
  • Options
    The longest interval I've gone in mine is 10k miles. That was a little hairy to me. But lately they, my local dealer, has been pushing them 5k which seems reasonable. I know the manual says 7500 - 10000 is an okay interval under normal conditions, but I don't buy that. Especially since I'm not exactly kind to my car.

I'm not overly hard on it, but I tend to maintain 80 mph on the freeway and do a fair bit of in-town driving. Periodically I'll have the 6k rpm start, but that isn't too often.
  • Options
    ...is there anything that I should start getting ready for in terms of maintenance in my 03 I4? I'm coming up on 70k in a couple months and want to make sure I won't be spending a great deal of money on maintenance. I've looked over the manual and can't remember if there was anything involved in there.

Also, I know that you guys are fairly good at telling whether a service is worth it or not. I'm not comfortable doing my own maintenance at all. Too many computers and sensors to mess up on me.

Thanks all.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    i recall getting A4 at 28,000 miles. All the other times its been A1 or B1. I'm now at 51k miles in my 2006 I4 Accord.
  • Options
    rry, but my 03 V6 didn't have the Maintenance Minder,

Yeah, I know but I figured if the V6 was any different, you could tell the OP what that might be. :shades:
  • Options
    Did you ever manage to sell the 96? Just curious.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Haven't tried. I'm working as a courier for a medical group while waiting on a "real job" to open up, and drive the '96 daily for that sort of work, putting 1500 air conditioned miles (at 27 MPG still) a month on it. I've got 198,600 miles; 200,000 will be here before October!
  • Options
    Since he said he only wanted the letter number combination (from the maintenance minder), so he could look it up himself, I didn't think I could give him what he wanted. There is not much to be done, besides oil changes, until the 30k mile interval in my manual. Mostly lubricating hinges, checking suspension and exhaust fasteners, and emergency brake adjustment. All of these things are covered at the 15k mile interval, and again at 30k. He hasn't really missed anything important, according to my manual.
  • Options
    All the O.P. needs to do is sign up at Honda's OWNER LINK web site.
    All the info he needs is there. Needs VIN also.
  • Options
    That's cool. I'm surprised you're able to get 27 with the AC on. I could never crack 24 in my 95. Then again you have the efficient driving techniques down to a science ;) I don't have the discipline. I know wrong forum for mileage, but I'm still averaging just over 25 since March 08 my 03. Which is pretty good if I do say so myself. :) That's 80 on the freeway and 70% in town driving.

The 96 you have will probably keep on chugging along until you decide to take a shot gun to it for refusing to die.

Anyway good luck finding a "real job." I wouldn't mind being a courier, but don't want to put the miles on my car.
  • Options
    yoribe2yoribe2 Member Posts: 65
    Hello All,

The airbag light in my 2003 Accord LX occasionally stays on the entire time while driving. It occurred again yesterday, and I only had some light books on the passenger seat so I'm pretty sure the weight sensor in the passenger seat is not the culprit. The owner's manual states that the airbag light can indicate a potential problem with the airbag or the seat belt tensioner.

Has anyone else here experienced this issue and had it diagnosed at the dealer? Is this something that could be reset simply by hooking up diagnostic equipment to the car?

Thank you for your responses :D
  • Options
    woogie03woogie03 Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem with Stereo/HVAC display. The dealer said that my VIN number did not match the recall. I called American Honda and they verified. The dealer quoted $650 to repair. I would call American Honda at 1-800-999-1009 to register your complaint. The more they hear from others with VIN numbers out of the extended warranty range, the more they likely they would expand the range.
  • Options
    buyahomebuyahome Member Posts: 26
    If you remove the items from the passenger's seat I would guess the airbag light will not display. I found the sensors to be very sensitive on the passenger's seat. Give it a try and let us know how you make out.