Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,684
    "...she cried..."

Boy, I thought I was emotional about cars. :cry:

Sounds like you did a great job on that lease. There are so many facets to leasing that I'm sure I would get the baby seal treatment. If I ever consider leasing I'll give you a call.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2012
    Got my friend into her brand spankin' new 2013 VW Tiguan SE 4Motion w/ Sunroof & Navigation last night. She cried when they took the plates off her 2003 GTI, but I told her it was for the better.

nyccarguy, your story was so wonderful that tears came to MY eyes!!!

When it comes to VW's, we have the biggest dealership for VW in the country here in Coconut Creek along with the biggest Infiniti, Lexus and BMW dealerships. They sell hundreds of VW's every month. VW has begun to outsell Toyota and Honda as they seem to be selling cars at cost. I know VW had a goal to outsell the other manufacturers here on the US and they are succeeding. They produce excellent cars and SUV's for the money - best bang for the buck.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    That was an ingenious way of finding those keys. Kudos to you.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    'Farm, that is a post that hits home for me, too.
    The car I helped my Mom last year has a proximity key and push button start.

I must have missed this post, but when I saw the response posts from Houdini and oldfarmer, I clicked on it. I started laughing just thinking about you literally passing things around and in the car until you found the primary key - which was where it should have been - in her purse!

Yes, those perimeter/proximity keys can be tricky - I have them on the Mercedes. All I do is touch the door handle (any one) and the doors unlock. If I want to manually open the trunk, as long as I am within 5 feet of the locked trunk, it will unlock and open by itself. After driving the car and then turning off the ignition after parking it, a reminder message and chime tells me "don't forget to take your keys"! If there is a key in the car or trunk, it will not lock.

It's a nice feature, especially if it is raining or very cold with snow. You never have to fish for your keys!

It truly was an ingenious way to find those missing keys - trial and error - works all the time! Well done explorer!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,946
    Reminds me of the VW commercial where the dog ate the key and the owner needs to take the dog everywhere to get in / drive the car. It is set to a Johnny Cash song.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,572
    I would have given you $2,500 on your word. Heck, might have stretched all the way to 3K to offset any tax credit!

Yes, really.

this is how I got my (son's) Acura TL. It was my sister's car. Based on them knowing they had an easy mark, and a bit of the same type of body issues (mostly just paint scratches, but no body work or real dents), and of course the 147K on it, they low balled her at 2K. She knew I was interested, so called me from the dealership and asked if I wanted it instead for the same price. of course I said yes, and 4 years later (anniversary in 2 weeks!) we still have it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Well, I drove the E350 several times today and it performed perfectly - no stalling and the idle was as smooth as silk. It's amazing how much I missed having it at my disposal these last 2 1/2 weeks except for the trip to Ponte Vedra.

Every time I stopped at a light, I was waiting for it to shut down like the GLK did. Obviously the E350 does not have the Eco Drive (stop/go engine). I found it to be a pain to drive in heavy traffic - always shutting down.

I certainly hope the Mercedes performs as well as my previous Mercedes Benz vehicles.

My upstairs neighbor bought a brand new GS350 in silver with gray leather interior. He got it 2 weeks ago and has had it back to Lexus three times - wheel balancing (sound familiar), steering problems (some kind of minor recall) and an oil leak. Looks like he is learning what the new GS350 is like to own. He asked me about a month ago why I got rid of my GS and I told him why. He saw me this morning to tell me about the issues he has been having with his GS and said he should have listened to me and bought something else. He said he finds the technology overwhelming (sound familiar?).

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,334
    Coincidently, I ended up shredding a bunch of old papers, including some bank statements from when my Mom was Executrix for my Dad's estate.
    That was back from '94, so I was pretty confident it was ok to shred them.
    In the same lock box, I found just about all my old report cards, so I made sure I shredded those to! :)
    I also found a cousin's report card for the first 3 of 4 marking periods in '73-74, although I never met him.
    My Mom was a teacher and just happened to have him in Home Room.
    He started out bad, then really stepped up his game in Q2 and Q3. 8 F's in each. Q3 - 42 absences and 5 tardies.
    I figured it must have rained 5 times in Q3.
    My Mom bought a new '74 Dodge Dart that year.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,979
    edited December 2012
    E350 does not have the Eco Drive (stop/go engine). I found it to be a pain to drive in heavy traffic - always shutting down

Isn't there a button to turn off the stop/go? I just press a button after starting the car every time. I turn the off/on feature on if I am approaching a long train or stoplight. It isn't a big deal, unless you can't cancel it.

Interesting your friend has the same issues with the GS....I guess you have to have an engineering degree or be under 30 years old to buy one.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    I'm thinking they didn't have replacement gaskets and re installed the originals hoping for the best, which didn't turn out so good.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,440
    Stickguy - the car would be an ideal one for you, but I personally don't trust it. My friend has been pouring money into it lately. VWs are inexpensive to purchase, but are in no way cheap to own. They use the same ex$pensive Audi parts. There was no trade in credit as the dealer bought the car from my friend as she leased the car.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I'm planning to drive my '02 Explorer (131k) a lot through this winter, so I'm not going to go into the good, the bad, and the ugly.
    I don't want to jinx 'The Good'. :)
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,684
    "...for my dad's estate..."

I was successful finding all the necessary paper's in a box in the closet so I took the whole box to the credit union and fished out enough stuff to open a new estate account. I had to leave a dollar in the account leaving me a whopping $24 for my trouble.

Technically, I should now give my 2 brothers their $8 share but I'm keeping it for my trouble. Let 'em sue me. :P

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    I'm thinking they didn't have replacement gaskets and re installed the originals hoping for the best, which didn't turn out so good.

I believe they did that when they replaced the injectors and fuel pumps, from what he said. They are supposed to replace the gaskets when they take the injection units out since the air intakes are part of the entire system. There are air-flow sensors in the air-intakes which tell the computer if there is sufficient, too little, too much air going into the injection system. In this case, because of the air-intake leak caused by the gaskets when they were put back, it was showing too little air going into the sytem (vacuum causes air through the leaking gaskets giving false readings to the air-flow sensors) which caused the computer to boost air flow to the injection system thus causing too much air to be boosted into the injection system, thus causing rough idling.

So, they ordered new gaskets and replaced those Saturday, drove the car a few days to make sure it was not idling rough or stalling, then gave me my car back. The Director of Service/Parts admitted that the mechanic/tech did not follow the procedures for replacing injectors, etc., so at least they were up front with me, which is more important to me, personally.

Drove great yesterday and again this morning - no problems.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    verdugoverdugo Member Posts: 2,286
    I just had the thermostat replaced in my Passat. $35 part, $5 washer and $28 worth of coolant. Labor was $240!! They have to remove the nose to get to it.

Back when I had my 07 Passat, I had to replace one of the Bi-Xenon lights. They weren't expensive (less than $100 I think.) Unfortunately, they also had to remove the nose to get to it and the labor was expensive. I decided to play it safe and replace the other light while I was at it.

Ended up selling it to Carmax a few months later. :sick:
  • Options
    Giants As a Steeler fan I had to console my BIL from Long Island on the Giants loss (as he does me) so I told him to blame the fall down fumble pass that led to a TD run since it was the most questionable play of the game.

Nothing questionable about that play. Instant replay clearly showed that it was a fumble.

How about the Steelers and Charlie Batch???
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Wow, 272 posts since my computer croaked.

Four days in Intensive Care and 220.00 later it is fixed.

I probably got ripped but it had a lot of problems. A nasty virus that caused my Norton Anti Virus to go crazy and shut everything down. Several corrupted files and my Windows 7 "upgrade" didn't install correctly. Hopefully it is fixed!

Jipster, glad to hear you FINALLY dumped your Korean dream for a Honda!

Mike, you are a SAINT and I have nothing but sincere respect for what you are doing for your Dad.

Gotta run...
  • Options
    . A nasty virus that caused my Norton Anti Virus to go crazy and shut everything down

What sites are you going on?

Use Avast, it is free and works better than Norton.

Four days in Intensive Care and 220.00 later it is fixed.

I once paid $200 to a scam artist computer guy. It is better to buy a new one with warranties and latest gear for $400! After spending $200 to get it going, he still wanted to do another $100 worth of clean-up work. Why do that when you can get a new one for not much more.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Every so often, I remember an experience from when I sold cars or when I was a sales manager. Well, this afternoon, I was talking to our next door neighbor who just bought a new Huyandi Genesis. He was mentioning what they gave him for his trade and during the conversation, I was reminded about this experience which I'll relate to all of you.

This elderly couple came into the dealership with a trade and wanted to buy a new luxury car. I was the manager observing a new salesman working the deal. The salesman did a great job in getting them to drive the car they liked and when they came back to the showroom after selecting the car they wanted to buy, they wanted to trade their 2004 Lexus ES330. It was 3 years old, in excellent condition, 24000 miles, and no paint or body imperfections. The car, when it was new, had an MSRP of about 38,000. After I appraised the car and checked Manheim as well as blackbook, I put a value on the car of $22,500. The invoice on that trade, when new, was about $34,800. My appraisal was what an above average ES330 was bringing at the auction.

When the salesman presented the numbers showing the trade value along with a $2000 discount on the new car, they stood up and started yelling at this poor salesman (who was abou 22 years old). I immediately walked over to them before they left and asked what the problem was. The man said that the offer on his trade was robbery on our part and that he wanted $30,000 for his trade. That would have been about $3000 over what I would sell it for on my lot. I explained what the wholesale value on his car was and shied him printouts from the auction as well as blackbook. That did not satisfy him or his wife. On top of that, they wanted $4000 off the MSRP of the new car which had an MSRP of $53,450. He was basically offering me dead cost for my new car and wanted $7500 more than his trade wholesaled at.

We went back and forth for over 40 minutes until I made him my last offer:

I said that if I gave him retail value for his trade, would he give me sticker for the new car? I told him I would give him $27,000 for his trade, which is what I would sell it for on my lot. His dyes lit up (knowing I was offering him more than $4000 more for his trade and he knew what his trade was really worth) and grabbed my hand and shook it. The wife was elated. I told them if I offer them retail for the trade, they had to pay full retail for the new car. They both agreed that it was a fair offer.

They finished the paperwork and have us a check for the difference and drove home with their new car.

About two weeks later, they returned to the dealership and wanted their money back because they said I had cheated them! Luckily I had decided to wholesale their trade for $22,250 and showed them the paperwork for the wholesale sale. I then subtracted that from the $27,000 showing a loss to me of difference of $3750. I then explained that I sold them their new car for a discount of that amount, which have me a net profit after transportation of the trade to the auction of about $350.00.

Their son (a CPA) who came with them to get their money back looked at me and said I had given his parents a great deal after reviewing all the paperwork. His parents were stunned that their son agreed with me.

About three hours later, their son drove off my lot with a brand new top-of-the-line car which he purchased from me for invoice plus $500, which he felt was the best deal he had ever gotten on a new car.

It just goes to show you that if you get creative in pricing a new car with people who do not understand true trade values, it pays off in spades for not only the customer, but also for the dealer. Both son and parents referred many, many customers to us over the years.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Some people will judge us as risky. I prefer to label it adventurous. :P
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    " What sites are you going on?"

Nothing that anyone would consider "bad" or X or even R rated.

I have learned that everyone seems to have a different idea of which anti virus program is "better" or best. When something is "free" I always get scared.

I would have junked the computer but it's only three years old. It has 8 GB of memory and a terabite of hard drive space.

If it screws up again, it's gone!
  • Options
    I would have junked the computer but it's only three years old. It has 8 GB of memory and a terabite of hard drive space.

If it screws up again, it's gone!

One of the very few lessons I have learned regarding computers over the past 15 years is that when it jams or gets infected with a virus which I have tried to repair, it is more cost effective and much less stressful to just junk it!

It has cost me hundreds upon hundred upon hundreds of dollars employing so-called "geeks" to fix the problems, not one of the 5 computers I have owned in the past 15 years were repairable or fixable. I ended up stripping the hard-drive out and sending it to be recycled.

This last computer is an HP and has performed stupendously over the past 2-1/2 years. If she quits running, no more geeks - just ordering another HP desktop.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    I ended up stripping the hard-drive out and sending it to be recycled.

If you've ever needed a really strong magnet, take the hard drive apart, bend the disk in half twice to render it useless and remove the magnets, there are two. They're Rare Earth Magnets and are the strongest ones I've ever used. Just don't get your finger tips in between them as it pinches hard enough to draw blood.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    Just don't get your finger tips in between them as it pinches hard enough to draw blood.

OUCH!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Wait a sec, maybe because I had a REALLY long day at work today that I'm not reading this right. What was the better deal for the customer? The initial $22,500 for their trade with the $2000 discount on the new car or the full retail/MSRP deal? After I finish cleaning up from dinner, running the dishwasher, & stuffing holiday card envelopes, then maybe I'll do the math.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,156
    edited December 2012
    >When something is "free" I always get scared.

I've used "Free" Avira on my 2 computers for years with no problems. I watch what is happening. I also run Antimalwarebytes manually once or twice a week and I run SpyBotSD maybe once a week to remove anything else that Avira doesn't catch. I also use a cleaner to remove all the cookies and lots of other little things that Windows leaves--this helps with the third party use of cookies to track and deliver ads. Also, some of these, in my judgement, sit and download more damaging things if they get the chance.

I would recommend finding ESET online scanner, and running it on your computer once a month.

An additional thing, is it you have things on the drive you don't want to lose, I'd get a backup system in place. Myself, I use DriveImageXML and make a backup to an external hard drive. I like that over using only the Windows 7 backup, because these DriveImageXML files can be searched on the external drive and data files recovered from the backup. I do not know if that's possible with the Win7 back on my son's I7 HP and wife's I3 HP laptop. For $79 I bought a Seagate hard drive external last week from NewEgg and have an additional 2 Terrabytes of external backup. Your 1 Tbyte probably has 2-300 Gbytes used? You could do several backups on a 1.5 or 2 Tbyte external.

If you know enough about the insides of the PC to get inside the computer and plug in a temporary hard drive, buy a 1 Tbyte drive, connect it temporarily, and use it as a clone to the drive in there. Only do this if you are comfortable with the software from the drive companies to clone an old drive onto a new one--don't copy the blank new one over the data on the original. Then disconnect. Upon failure or problems with your working drive, you can connect your clone drive as the primary drive, and then attempt to fix the damaged drive with antivirus programs yourself as a slave drive or farm it out to someone to connect to their machine and remove viruses or other problems.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    I have learned that everyone seems to have a different idea of which anti virus program is "better" or best. When something is "free" I always get scared.

I agree! However, our computer expert at work, who probably has an IQ that is as high as you can go, and who fixes lots of computers for free every week,
    highly recommends Avast....and likes it much better than any program you would pay for.

If you get the right ones, they are developed by people who want you to get the most from your computer....it's really the other guys you have to be scared of...trying to make a buck off of something that geeks love to develop, for free!

• Options
    What was the better deal for the customer? The initial $22,500 for their trade with the $2000 discount on the new car or the full retail/MSRP deal?

Yeh, I want to know that too! I am too tired to do the math. :sick:

• Options
    Either that or tell them about the $50 handling and shipping fee to get their $8.
  • Options
    With all it's been through, it's got the good life now.
    Both my kids drove it in High School and it endured a few bumps along the way.
    Last summer one of my kids and a couple of her friends drove it to Georgia and back over the course of about a 8 days (4 days at Bonaroo).
    When she got back, she made the comment, 'The more you drive it, the happier it gets'. It did get it's best 2 MPG averages on that trip, despite having around 120k on it at that time.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Jipster, glad to hear you FINALLY dumped your Korean dream for a Honda!

LOL. I knew you'd get a kick out of hearing about that. I've finally decided to live the good life. :P
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    Wait a sec, maybe because I had a REALLY long day at work today that I'm not reading this right. What was the better deal for the customer? The initial $22,500 for their trade with the $2000 discount on the new car or the full retail/MSRP deal? After I finish cleaning up from dinner, running the dishwasher, & stuffing holiday card envelopes, then maybe I'll do the math.

I never said the customer got a better deal the way I structured it. The first offer was better for them - but when the guy started telling me he wanted $3000 over retail for the trade, I vowed to consummate this deal. I got a few bucks more for his trade as well. He still got a great deal - it ended up at about $350 over my dead cost at the time of the deal.

I used to cringe when a customer would come in and expect me to give them thousands more for their trade than I could get for it. I think I mentioned here on this forum that over 70% of the cars I took in trade I ended up wholesaling. When you wholesale most of the cars you take on trade, it usually means you are going to either break even on the deal or lose a few hundred.

I remember losing several thousand on some of the cars I took in on trade because I had them on the used car lot too long because I had put too much money into them. I knew that if I have the customer $27000 for his trade, he would do the math and decide to make the deal.

It's just a matter of structuring the deal do the customer feels he got what he wanted for his trade. His car was not worth any more than the $22500 I have him (even though I made a few bucks at the suction on the car). I have him $4500 more that I first offered him. If you subtract that from the invoice on the new car, I netted $350.

Hop I simplified this s little for you.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    I made a few bucks at the suction on the car

Suction Auction, what's a little typo among friends.

I think you have trade-in guys, price deal guys and payment guys.

Kind of like the 4 square...when one goes up, the other goes down.

The difference is the same.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,572
    why the wholesale? You said it was low miles and "in the wrapper", and you would have put it on the lot for 27K. So instead of wholesaling it at 22.5K, why not just put it on the used car row and sell it for more than that?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    why the wholesale? You said it was low miles and "in the wrapper", and you would have put it on the lot for 27K. So instead of wholesaling it at 22.5K, why not just put it on the used car row and sell it for more than that?

I wholesaled it for almost $24K. Whenever I can make some quick money, I used to grab it. Remember, I had $27000 into the car and it could take 30-60 days to sell it on the lot.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    Suction Auction, what's a little typo among friends.

Remember, I'm posting from an iPhone with a tiny keyboard and I type quickly. During the morning and early afternoon, I post from my desktop where I can touch type much more quickly.

Yes, each customer comes at you from a different perspective. The job of the salesman is to overcome as many of the customers objections to buying the car he selected that very day. The more objections you overcome, the better chance you have of selling the customer a car that same day. It is also the manager's job to try to overcome objections that the salesman could not overcome. In this case, his objection to buying had to do with what I was offering for his trade. So I overcame that objection.

There was nothing shady about what I did. I merely said, "...if you want me to give you retail value for your trade, then would you pay full retail for the new car?" It didn't work out all the time, but sometimes it did.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    One of the very few lessons I have learned regarding computers over the past 15 years is that when it jams or gets infected with a virus which I have tried to repair, it is more cost effective and much less stressful to just junk it!

The problem with that is a solution is that most people don't back up their important files and wind up losing financial data, photos, work related items, et al. It then becomes more expensive trying to recreate all of that.

My brother who runs an IT department has a phrase: "Run in circles, scream and shout. You should have made a backup."
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    If you've ever needed a really strong magnet, take the hard drive apart, bend the disk in half twice to render it useless and remove the magnets

I prefer to put hard disks on my workbench and drill a few 1/4" holes right through the casing, disk, electronics...more fun and less hazardous.
  • Options
    I fix / upgrade mine until I feel that it is too old to use anymore. I backup both my home and work computers all the time. If they died I wouldn't lose a thing.

Hardware is much cheaper today, but I couldn't see tossing a good machine that just got a nasty virus or some corrupted files. I'm computer savvy enough to fix just about any problem, or since I'm backed up I'll just suck it up and reformat clean and re-install Windows.

Imid posted GREAT advice and I pretty much do the same things he mentions in his post above.

One thing I do to really keep your web-browser performing well is to have it set to "delete all temp files/cookies/history on exit" this really helps to keep the "junk" files down your PC.

Here are a few of my favorite programs to help keep your PC clean.:

AVG Free anti-virus (Driver mentioned Avast, great program too)
    Spy-Bot search and destoy
    Malwarebytes
    CCleaner (formerly Crap Cleaner)
    Secunia PSI to help keep your drivers, etc up to date.
    Diskeeper to keep your hard drive defragmented.

• Options
    Explorer,
    How has your truck been to you? My buddy has a similar vintage to yours and his has about 170K on the clock. It puked up its transmission at 130K, and he has had a lot of little issues (alternator, suspension, paint peeled on the hood). Has yours been about the same?

He is running it until it blows up, but I was just curious. I know he maintains it by the book.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,156
    edited December 2012
    >I'd get a backup system in place. Myself, I use DriveImageXML and make a backup to an external hard drive.

No one commented but on the suggestions I need to make clear something I said. The term backup is used for a system that makes copies of files that have been changed during a time period or of just a group of files regularly. That is available as part of Win7.

I used the word backup, but what I prefer working with what should be called drive images, which also is available in Win7. With a drive image, the external drive is not connected to the PC in event of an attack or major problem. But the drive image can be overlaid on a new installed hard drive or over a problematic old one that has been reformatted.

Avira has not let me down and it's free. But I check to be sure it's updating and gets run every 3 days. I had XP system failures with AVG when I was using it (free). One virus or malware turned off the antivirus. Another time ADobe Reader had virus weaknesses that got past AVG. A third was caused by diskperfect or diskeeper, two defragmention programs.

I have 4 external hard drives, 1 Terrabytes, 1.5 Terrabytes, 1.5 Terrabytes, and 2 Terrabytes. I have each drive image on more than one external. I never unplug and external drive until the system has shut down. Many users report failures on externals in the reviews on hardware sites, but I believe it's related to the handling more than endemic failures in the externals.

Had a call a couple weeks back from a longtime acquaintance who knows little about computers but had a no boot on their old PC. They had no usable method for recovering photos and all else. From what she said her now ill husband may have used a backup style program sometime. But I couldn't take on trying to help because I was tied up here. And I've been burned trying to help folks at little or no charge in past.

I've probably bored everyone now, but folks need a nap as we get older. :)

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited December 2012
    I backup both my home and work computers all the time. If they died I wouldn't lose a thing.

Amen!!! I'm paranoid myself. This is my setup:

* Home PC has a RAID 0 disk array, so I always have an exact copy

* Home PC that does incremental back ups daily to an internal drive and does full back up once a week. Photos and videos get backed up in real time. I use SyncBack.

* External hard drive that i back up once a week and that I keep in a fire-proof safe at home

* I back up things as well to a cloud service (MS Sky drive)
  • Options
    He got 40k more out of his trans than I did!
    I used drive it hard and overload it by a lot.
    Like I told my wife, We bought an Explorer to do an Expedition's job.
    I'm glad I bought an extended warranty for it and kind of feel like I got my money's worth out of it.
    I would never recommend it as a vehicle for someone else, but I will hate to give it up some day.
    Our family has had so many good experiences with it over the 10+ years we have had it.
    I think one of my favorite memories when my oldest daughter, maybe 17 at the time, came home from practice, walked in the house and said 'Hey Dad, that 4x4 low is really great for getting out of the mud'.
    When I went out to look at it, there was mud everywhere, especially underneath.
    When she said 'do you want me to clean it up?', very sternly I said Don't you have some homework to do?.
    Then i pulled it into the road and spent about an hour hosing the mud off it, but I was laughing to myself the whole time.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I finally "took" some "me time" this afternoon and left Dad at home and went Christmas shopping for my grandchildren as well as shopping for gifts for my kids and my father. My first stop was at Sawgrass Mills in Sunrise, FL. The place was jammed, but I got some great gifts at more than reasonable prices. I got my Dad a 42" HD TV and will finally be able to get rid of his 15 year old tube TV in his bedroom. He doesn't see very well so this will definitely light up his life. Bought lots of clothing for the grandchildren as well as tons of Wii cartridge games my DIL said they wanted. I'll ship them out to California tomorrow.

I then went to Boca Town Center. The place was so crowded, I was lucky to get a parking spot. Bought Sees Candy for the neighbors and slippers for Dad and shorts and shirts for him. After about another hour of shopping, I came out of Bloomindales and started walking toward where I parked my car - or should I say where I thought I parked it. I searched for 20 minutes but could not find the car. I started to worry that maybe someone had stolen it, but felt that would be difficult without a key and in broad daylight. I stopped a police car and asked him for some help. He asked me if what kind of car it was and he asked if the Mbrace was active on the car. I said it was, so he asked me to get into the patrol car and asked if I had the App on my phone. I said I did and then it occurred to me - there is a function on the App that will show me on "MAPS" where it is parked if within 1 mile of my phone .

So I clicked on "locate" and about 60 seconds later, it chimed and showed where the car is parked in the sopping mall. It was on the other side of the mall next to Macy's. The officer drove me right to the car. He told me event if I didn't have the App, all I would have to do is call Mbrace and they would have directed me to the car as it is always on telemetry via satellite. I thanked him for his help - he said this wasn't the first time a Mercedes owner had forgotten where they parked their car and since most Mercedes cars and SUV's have Mbrace, it works out great since they can assist the lost drivers in finding their cars.

I usually park at Bloomingdales, but the lots were so crowded, I had to park near Macy's.

I guess I'm getting old!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I would never recommend it as a vehicle for someone else

That is too funny, as my buddy says the exact same thing. His had a very rough first two years in and out of new (unpaved) housing developments but now is just a 70 mile a day commuter. He loves the truck.

He is gonna retire it to 3rd car duty and grab a small car for back and forth to work soon.

• Options
    I now refer to mine as the 'Government Mule', although I still maintain it.
    Mine has a V8 and I would hate to drive it 70 miles a day commuting, although I don't think the V6 would get a whole lot better fuel mileage.
    Overall mileage has been 15.94 mpg.
  • Options
    Mike

While I've never actually "lost" a car in the parking lot as you describe it, my wife often comments to me that she often has to click the remote in the Nursery School parking lot to see which dark grey (Polished Metal Metallic) Pilot is hers. She's pulled on someone else's door handles numerous times:)

• Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I've "lost" my car before, but usually I'm close enough to use my panic button on key fob to get horn honking and lights flashing. I usually do this as a last resort, as it is a bit embarrassing having to do so. :blush:

I usually give myself a verbal message as I am walking away from parking my car somewhere i.e " fifth floor, back row, near exit ramp." Helps me locate my car quickly after work.

After a week of driving my Honda Civic, I'm really happy with the purchase. Corners and handles extremely well , comfortable seats and ride. I think it brakes well. A nice looking exterior. As I've said before, the interior panels needs some work. I think Honda may have been feeling the heat from Hyundai and Kia, a few others... and cut a few corners to save money and keep price closer to competitors. But, lower quality interior door panels and plastic trim on dash wasn't high on my list of priorities.

I got 47 mpg on the highway today. That was going about 64-67mph. So I'm pretty confident I could get over the 50 mpg barrier on a longer trip, and the car isn't fully broken in yet. Money spent on gas will be about half of what I have paid in the past. OEM stereo is fairly weak. So, I was thinking of putting aftermarket speakers in.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    I've "lost" my car before, but usually I'm close enough to use my panic button on key fob to get horn honking and lights flashing. I usually do this as a last resort, as it is a bit embarrassing having to do so.

*jipster, in this particular case, hitting the panic button would have done me no good. Macy's is on the opposite side of the mall from Bloomingdales. I went out the Bloomingdales exit because that's where I usually park. But I forgot I parked at Macy's. I would never had heard the horns or seen the flashing lights.

I'm glad you are enjoying you new Civic. The neighbor to my left got a silver 4-door Civic last year. She hasn't had it back to the dealer except for oil changes. She buys nothing but Hondas and the are one of the best selling cars down here - inexpensive to purchase as well as to run and maintain. I believe it's a toss up as to what I would get in that market - a Civic or a Jetta. I think the Civic is a better built car and is more user friendly.

Just enjoy the car - sounds like you got a good deal!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options

This discussion has been closed.