Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,480
    edited November 2012
    for your kind words about my precious little princess. I see they grow up entirely too fast. I remember when my 6 year old son turned 1.

WHITNEY

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,699
    time does fly. My little baby girl just turned 17. And if she manages to parallel park next week, she can drive off by herself.

Your little one is cute though.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,846
    Cute kid... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    Why pay $125 for something you can essentially do for free.

Use Credit Karma for free credit scoring information on a regular basis. Not a true credit score but very accurate based on my experience.

Supplement Credit Karma with the free credit reports you are entitled to receive from each of the major credit companies. Get one, wait four months and get another one and then wait four months and get the third.

Also sign up with each credit card to have you notified of large charges. I do this on Discover and they immediately report any charge over $300 to me via email.

Those simple steps will pretty much cover the entire year at no cost.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,669
    Mike.....sorry to hear about your car. I've had a few experiences like that with new cars. Since you were in the biz, you know how this goes. It all depends on how the dealership handles it. If they do an "even Steven" trade, it's all good. If they try to jack you around, keep trying to diagnose something they clearly don't have a clue how to fix, then it drags on and on. The latter frustrates you, and that in turn, makes for the possibility you'd leave the brand after all these years.

Many dealerships don't want to go to bat for their customers against the manufacturer. They think it's too much of a hassle. Sometimes it's the manufacturer who refuses to admit they have a serious issue with their car that they just can't fix. That makes the customer have to take more drastic measures, and frustrates them even more. That usually results in the lengthy process of forcing the manufacturer to do what's right.

Sounds like your dealer is doing the right thing, however.

NYC.....major congrats to both you, and your family. Love hearing about one of our own's happiness, joy and celebration.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,179
    I agree, but people sometimes can be unreasonable, too. It cuts both ways. One can't demand a new car for an irritating, but minor issue. On the other hand something like stalling and rough engine, there should be protocols that are more accommodative to the customer. I'd say so far the dealer is doing well - first injector diagnosis, then a relatively quick decision for wholesale replacement, now at least entertaining the even trade (which we will see, of course). If I were a dealer/manufacturer, I might try one or two more fixes before going this route, one small thing that one did not do before (like complete software reflash) and another perhaps a complete engine (block plus hardware and software) replacement. Hard to say which one is more expensive to do, trade or engine.

Bottom line, as a customer, if I see honest efforts to fix it, I may be more patient. I think it was you having the problem is S4 (or RS4?) with malfunctioning electronics. Local dealer's response was definitely unacceptable, not because they could not fix it, but because they weren't really interested in fixing the issue at all - it was like, OK take the car in, tap hammer here, correct a screw there, don't look there, don't try this God Save (too much trouble) - car fixed, here you go, don't come back. When you see that, there is no benefit of the doubt or patience. But if you see true efforts, even if unsuccessful at the end, the impression is completely different. With that one can acccept more equitable solution (at least I can).

My philosophy has always been s...t happens, mistakes are made, it is what happens after that than really matters. I can even take some pain if I see it is shared. I respond with goodwill on goodwill. I know it makes me sometimes a target of people who want to take advantage, but I'm on guard for those.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    Very cute little girl you've got there. Looks like she's wearing Gymboree stuff too. What a fortunate family!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    Good luck Mike, I hope you get this straightened out soon. What a bummer.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,328
    Oh my goodness !!! She is a Princess !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2012
    Good luck Mike, I hope you get this straightened out soon. What a bummer.

Thanks for your good wishes. According to the service manager, they finally got a code out of the computer showing an air leak - so they ordered new gaskets to stop the air intake leaks which could be the cause of the rough engine idle. The manager is going to drive my car this weekend iny the hopes of getting the rough engine duplicated. I gave my permission for him to take it home each night and drive it.

I'll know more Monday afternoon. But the air leak could be the culprit - and I am sure it was due to the replacement of the injectors which means they did not seal the air intakes correctly. Hopefully now that they finally got a code out of the car's computer it could solve the problem.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,976
    which means they did not seal the air intakes correctly

See that is what would really tick me off. You take the car in for a repair and its not put back together properly.

It's reasons like this I won't touch the delaminating windshield on my 2012 LaCrosse. I just hope it doesn't get any worse.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    That is why it was suggested that I do it the way I described in my last post - shows a high balance one month and then no balance the next month, etc. in that way, it show that when I do use credit, it is used wisely and for a sort period of time.

Mike - have you ever thought of alternating credit cards every month? That would allow you to have a zero balance on one card while being able to take advantage of the float with the other card.
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    NYC - what a cutie! Congrats.

Mike - well, your endurance is certainly admirable. May this get resolved soon!

CC, Passat CC - I'd take it either way. Of course at one point I'm expecting a nice white Passat but that's far into the future.

Well, I had to stay overnight Monday in NYC. Had appointments and tests for two different doctors. Hope Lodge has a three night minimum so I had to stay overnight in a hotel. So in that sense the overnight cost me more than three months in Hope Lodge.

The tests were all good - probably better than expected. Still have low counts on some blood tests but we hope that when I get off the toxoplasmosis medication (likely next Tuesday) that the numbers will improve.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,416
    Congratulations, Bradd! The time flies by- hug your kids while you can- my son turned 18 last Sunday...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,750
    edited November 2012
    "...I have to stop at the entry gate..."

Mike, could I have your opinion on something? I have been told that when moving to Florida you MUST live in a gated community. Why is that? Is there that much problem with riff-raff?

When we use my BIL's condo in Largo which is not gated we have experienced no trouble. I have noticed driving around that the neighborhoods change pretty quickly from upscale to ghetto. Is it just a matter of location?

There are some areas here in upstate NY that people are wary of entering after dark but we have no gated communities ANYWHERE.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited November 2012
    "...WHITNEY..."

Ha ha I can see she already has daddy wrapped around her little finger. I predict you will be powerless when 16 years from now she just haaaaaaassssss to have a new car. ;)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    "...Credit Karma..."

Off by about 120 points on me. :(

• Options
    Yeah, I use Credit Karma as a just keeping track of things tool but last I looked they had me a good 50 points low.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,399
    Congrats to Whitney on her first birthday!
    Once you are able to communicate with your kids, it's great.
    Your kids will have you wrapped around their fingers, but it will be worth it.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Mike, could I have your opinion on something? I have been told that when moving to Florida you MUST live in a gated community. Why is that? Is there that much problem with riff-raff?

No matter where you live in this country, it is always better to live in a gated or secure community. Florida is no different than New York or California. I would not live in my current community if there was no heavy security like we have now - I enjoy the peace of mind when I go out in the evening or early morning knowing that we have 18 security patrol cars and I am only a quick call away from security arriving at my door front.

South Florida is a very heavy crime area (Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach Counties) and has been for the past 25 years. When my Dad passes on, I expect to move to either the West Coast of Florida (Naples or Ft. Myers) or the central East Coast region (Melbourne to St. Augustine). I hate living down here with the traffic, the crime and the very old drivers. I would never live in a non-gated community here in Florida.

When I lived in Palm Desert, I did not live in a gated community, but most of the desert communities are gated because most are private country clubs and golf clubs. I sleep better at night knowing you must get through the security gate in order to enter our community.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I don't think I could live in a gated community. Living life afraid all the time scares me.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,399
    I am thinking the same thing.
    We have some family the visits from Detroit.
    They make sure everything in MY house is locked up before they turn in for the night.
    Don't want to live that way.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    I don't think I could live in a gated community. Living life afraid all the time scares me.

Being scared all the time was not what I said!!! It is a secure feeling to know that nothing is going to interrupt your life that would be considered dangerous. With that said, it is not my choice to live here - I am stuck until my dad passes. Even if I lived in Eden, I'd feel more secure living in a gated community. My gated community encompasses 5 square miles and 4000 people. My brother lives in the woods, and he has two security gates to get in or out of his community.

If I lived in Idaho or Wyoming on a ranch that was 1000 square miles, I would still try to ensure my security as best I could.

You have to give up certain things to live in a great climate.

Remember, I never fear for my life or my security when I go shopping, go to a mall, go to the beach, or anything else I do in my daily life. But having a secured community also keeps door to door salesmen away, high speed motorcycles from speeding through the neighborhood, and it allows me comfort and peace of mind at night when I sleep.

Even when our cleaning people come , I have to call the gate to let them in.

If you couldn't live in a community like this, then don't. I like security in this day and age with high crime on the increase.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    I'm in the no desire to live in a gated community (odd enough when I go to my gated time share) but you do what's right for you.

I'd never live in an age restricted community either but if that floats your boat go right ahead.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,251
    Hey guys. Hope all is well.

Today I leased a new 2012 Honda Civic LX from Bob Montgomery Honda. I got what I think to be a really good deal. It's crimson red in color. The ride, noise level, and overall comfort was good... better than I expected. The dashboard and controls are really nice. It has all the safty features such as side curtain airbags, abs, stability control. The interior trim was about what I expected/read about... sub par for a Honda. Plastic trim on doors a bit on the "jip" side of quality. Overall though a really quality nice lookin vehicle that handles well and is great on gas mileage. I do have a rather lengthy commute to work.

The salesman was pretty good, showed me every feature on the car. "This in the radio volume button, you turn it this way to get louder, and this way to get softer." Got a full tank of gas. Car was washed. The car had only 4 miles on it, which is about as pure as you can get them... the way I like em. The residual is about $11,500. May buy when lease is up and give to my daughter as a graduation gift.

My Kia Optima just wasn't cutting it for the ole jipster. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it.

In closing, now that I've bought a Honda, I'm wondering if isell would buy my Kia? :confuse:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    oldbearcatoldbearcat Member Posts: 197
    My daughter lives in a high end gated community with heavy security as well. She came home from work a couple of weeks ago, and, found her road blocked by a bunch of police cars. One of her neighbors had been cooking Meth in a $600K house - for a good while. Somebody finally got a wiff of the fumes coming out of the house and alerted the police. Don't get too complacent just because it's a gated community.

Regards:
    Oldbearcat
  • Options
    For the good wishes about my little girl! I do appreciate them;)

Mike - it really stinks about your car. The dealer does seem like they are on the ball and are motivated to fix your car. Believe me, I know how frustrating things like this can be. Especially when you are talking about a $60,000 + MSRP Mercedes-Benz.

My best friend drives a 2011 Black/Black LTZ Tahoe. This is his 2nd Tahoe. The 1st was an '09 Black/Black LTZ as well. He started noticing a slight shake in the car at a certain speed (I forgot what the speed was). He brought it to the dealer multiple times and they told him there was carbon build up on the throttle body & he needed to pay for a cleaning. The problem went away for a week & then came back. The dealer replaced the throttle body & refunded his money for the TB cleaning. The shake came back. No computer codes were being thrown & he was told "they all do that" or "We don't notice the shake in the car." After multiple trips to the dealer & calls to GM, they replaced the spark plugs, the fuel injectors, they told him to only use "top tier" gas, they told him he screwed the car's computer up by filling it up once with E85 Ethanol. Finally the shake started to get more pronounced. He drove to the dealer & grabbed the service manager to tell them that the car is shaking now, you have to come feel it. They hooked up a computer to the car and drove around for an hour playing with different settings. Turns out the problem was a bad torque converter. Now this never left him stranded, but was very annoying in an otherwise perfect truck.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Surfing the Tampa area CL and keep seeing "reports to bureaus" in one dealer's ads. What does that mean? What is this dealer reporting? Why would anyone care?

http://tampa.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=Reports+to+bureaus%21%21&srchType=A- &minAsk=&maxAsk=3000

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 32,006
    edited December 2012
    keep seeing "reports to bureaus" in one dealer's ads.

I think the 2nd car on the list was stolen from Richard's garage. I think it means they are "hot" cars.

I think it is a nicer way of saying "repossessed".

You come up with some interesting stuff.">

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    Prior to my house in Stamford, CT we lived in a condo building in Hartsdale, NY with a gated community. Yes their presence is a deterant to would be criminals & certain undesirables. More often than not, I found it to be an annoyance & waste of money. I can't tell you how many times I'd come home from a Yankees game and find the guard sleeping or be driving another vehicle that didn't have a sticker to open the gate and have to wait to get home because the person in front of me was visiting someone who wasn't picking up the phone. Plus I lived on the top floor of the last building, so my place would be one of the absolute last targets for a burglar;)

• Options
    Congrats, jip! I'm still considering a lease, I just discovered that Bilstein is selling a relatively inexpensive spring/shock package for my Mazdaspeed I'm thinking of upgrading the suspension and installing a Hypertech tune on it- it would then be a track day terror but still be 100% practical daily driver...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,846
    It's a BHPH lot....

Some of these keep their own accounts, so even if you make your payments on time, it doesn't help your credit, as they don't report to TransUnion, Equifax, etc...

When they say they "report", it means your payment history will be reported to the credit bureaus, and if you are on-time, your credit score will improve.. That is a big deal for someone with damaged credit, who is trying to work their way back...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Being scared all the time was not what I said!!! It is a secure feeling to know that nothing is going to interrupt your life that would be considered dangerous.

I guess I feel very secure in my home which is in a typical suburban neighborhood that I don't understand living in a gated community. I guess it's the same as not understanding the need to keep a loaded gun in the nightstand in case of a home invasion. If it were that bad, I'd move.

Gated communities are not common here in New England. In reality, I've never seen one.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,175
    edited December 2012
    > Don't get too complacent just because it's a gated community.

And we all know how those older follks can disregard the laws because they feel entitled--grin. I was getting in line at the new Kohls in our area to use a couple of coupons since my wife is recovering from knee replacement. A elderly woman, short and maybe 75, was practically running toward the queue line entry and nearly hit me with her little shopping cart. She sort of slowed behind the 10 people in line. Then she started going around everyone and smiling as she looked up at them, like she was trying to get up with a relative who was ahead somewhere in the line. She got to the front where Kohls had a spotter to direct you to the next open service agent, smiled. The spotter directed her to the next open agent and the little old lady had just bypassed everyone--entitled.

It was like Estelle Getty in Golden Girls doing a parody of the elderly.

Imagine the damage she could do cooking or driving in a gated community. In fact, abacomike may already have run into her clone, or she ran into him.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    Today I leased a new 2012 Honda Civic LX .

Congratulations! Another car sold on Sales frontlines!
    Why did you go with a lease? The buy-out sounds great $11500. That could make a nice 2nd car or gift.

I just read a review of the 2013 Civic. It is the same car basically, but they fancied up the outside a bit, and they really upgraded the interior. They mentioned Honda decided to keep the interior on the economical side in 2012, because of the recession.

Happy driving!

• Options
    Honda also changed the driving dynamics.
  • Options
    Yes their presence is a deterant to would be criminals & certain undesirables.

We have some gated communities in Canada. I just think as some people get older, they get more frightenned of the world around them.

Our Florida home has a gate but no guard. There is a patrol car that goes around a few times during the night. I wouldn't feel less safe living in one of the non-gated houses in the neighborhood. In other words it doesn't matter too much either way, to me.

I have visited friends at gated communities and you wait in a line up and they have to make sure you are OK to go in. I feel like I am visiting a prison compound or something. I know it is necessary in some places because these communities can be large, and you need some control over who is going in. I guess, it is up to the individual what they prefer, and the individual situation.

• Options
    Honda also changed the driving dynamics.

Yes, that was mentioned too! A firmer ride and the steering has been altered, for the better.

• Options
    ...you need some control over who is going in.

This bothers me as well. IMHO, gated communities pretty much say to others that I'm better than you and you can't come near me unless you pass a test.

I presume these gated communities are responsible for the maintenance of their roadways, utilities, et al.
  • Options
    "...if you are on time..."

Ah-ha, I thought it might be something like that. I've been lucky to not need anything like that but I see people all the time who through misfortune or lack of character end up with trashed credit.

• Options
    ...I can't tell you how many times I'd come home from a Yankees game and find the guard sleeping or be driving another vehicle that didn't have a sticker to open the gate and have to wait to get home because the person in front of me was visiting someone who wasn't picking up the phone...

In our community, if you are a resident, a bar code is placed on the left rear passenger window which allows you to enter the community through the "resident's" lane without waiting for the security guard. So I never wait to get in, however with a loaner car from the dealer, I have to enter through the guest lane which can be bothersome, without doubt.

We live on the second floor of a 4 story building (has an elevator), but we live in the buildings that were the last to be built in the development and is quite a distance from the south or west entry to the property.

The most hazardous part of living here is not security, but the old drivers who can't see and cause many, many accidents. There hasn't been a break-in to any of the apartments in our community in over 15 years - so there is definitely a sense of security thanks to our excellent security personnel who work directly for us and not for a security company.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    This bothers me as well. IMHO, gated communities pretty much say to others that I'm better than you and you can't come near me unless you pass a test.

*driver, get real!!! A gated community years ago did present an air of "elitism" however, in today's society, if you live in a gated community in south Florida, it is for security, an nothing else.

If you think the people who live in here are "elitists", you are nuts. These condos run about $100,000 each, not 1 million dollars each. Where my brother lives, I would consider that "elitist" since the homes are 1 million dollars or more and the gates preserve privacy, security and an air of distinction.

If you think my community in your honest opinion says to others that I am better than you and you can't come near me unless you pass a test, then you are nuts! This is certainly not an elite community, but it is in an area of Broward County that is 4 blocks from several depressed communities on the east side of the Florida Turnpike and 1/2 mile from the County Prison/Jail where over 500 inmates are behind bars. My community is gated for security, not for snobs!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,251
    edited December 2012
    Thanks roadburner and driver.

Why did you go with a lease?

Mainly for the lower monthly payment. Less tax money paid at the top. Seems like less money out than if I had bought it outright, or the same. I may be missing something. Took a crash course in leasing 101. As I said, never really paid much attention to lease talk, as I never thought I would lease. Buy out price was really good. The Civic may be worth more than than residual when lease is up. Gross capitalized cost was $17,100 on msrp of $19,600. Bottom line is that out of pocket money over 3 years looked to be pretty good... and I'll be saving a couple thousand in gas money.

I test drove the Honda Accord and really liked it as well. Finance manager said I could trade up when Civic lease up, not sure what that meant. I can buy it at residual for $11,500, then trade to them for maybe $12,500 on a new Accord.

There was a boatload of 2012 Civics at the dealerships. Maybe Consumer Reports hurt sales from their less than positive review. About the only real complaint I would have about the 2012 Civic is the material they used for door and dash trim... a bit on the "blah" side. :sick:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    *driver, get real!!! A gated community years ago did present an air of "elitism" however, in today's society, if you live in a gated community in south Florida, it is for security, an nothing else.

I'm with you Mike.....I think you meant to address robs concerns.

Gated communities can range in price from as low as you can go to as high as you can go. Elitism wouldn't even occur to me.

Just to give you an example of why it is probably a good idea for some people. My BIL has a place not far from us near Tampa. They are converted double wides and there are about 120 homes. There was no security and there were a few minor thefts....guys can come through and steal an air conditioner, or steal a car. They put up a barrier that closes at 9 PM, you can still get out OK, but you need to be scanned to get in. No minor thefts or major....since then.

I like our system, there is a gatehouse to make it look a bit official, but no one looks after it. There are 72 units and with the patrol going through at random it seems to be pretty good. Some neighbors are aware of everything going on too...which is pretty good security.

• Options
    Why did you go with a lease?
    Mainly for the lower monthly payment. Less tax money paid at the top

I think leasing is the way to go in certain situations, and this is one of them. It gets you into a reliable new car with a low or no downpayment, allows you to commute to work in a reliable car, and takes a lot of stress out of your life.

You may pay a bit more for the priveledge of leasing, but, if it suits you why not just do it. Like you said, it could be worth more at the end of the lease than what you will pay for it on your buy back. I used to sell my leased cars and made a few $1000 each time.

• Options
    I'm with you Mike

My apologies, *driver. I replied to the wrong post and the wrong poster!!! I've lived among these old folks so long now I'm beginning to suffer from dementia!!!

*robr - consider my post to driver as my response to you - !!!

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Mike - it really stinks about your car. The dealer does seem like they are on the ball and are motivated to fix your car. Believe me, I know how frustrating things like this can be. Especially when you are talking about a $60,000 + MSRP Mercedes-Benz

Yes, at least they are being up front with me. I just got back from the dealership and had a long conversation with the Director of Service/Parts. He told my that the General Manager directed him to either fix the car to my satisfaction or get with Mercedes Zone and have them buy back the car.

According to him, the parts came in by FedEx this morning and they were in the process of replacing all the gaskets. He said that the computer read out showed the problem (first time it showed an actual problem since the car was first serviced 2-1/2 weeks ago). The gasket problems had nothing to do with the injectors. He is going to get another read out from the computer once the gaskets have been replaced to make sure that solved the problem.

If it did solve the problem, he is going to drive my car home tonight and tomorrow night. He said he is working this weekend (service is open on Saturday and Sunday in all Auto Nation Dealerships down here) so he can try to see if he can duplicate the idling problem. The leak in the air intakes could cause rough idle, but there could be other reasons. He told me that the foreman and two techs have put in over 22 hours on my car in the past 2-1/2 weeks and want me to be happy with the car - and if I am not - and they don't solve the problem with this fix - they will begin the buy-back process with Mercedes.

My car has been in the service department 15 of the last 20 days. I've been driving a 2013 GLK350 this time with that stop/go feature. I sure do miss my car!

ADDENDUM: Just got a call from the service Director and he said the replaced gaskets solved the air intake problem and the car's computer does not read out any error codes.

He did say that it is probable that they caused the problem - when they replaced the fuel pumps and injectors. He said the gaskets are supposed to be replaced when they are disconnected for replacement reasons. So he apologized and said he wants to be sure so he is driving the car home tonight to make sure it responds correctly on the cold start up tomorrow morning. He will then drive it back to the dealership and if he thinks everything is good, I can pick up the car tomorrow morning.

Thank goodness this is almost over - at least I sure hope it is.

He said he will fill the car up with gas for me and have it detailed and washed tomorrow morning before I get there.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    If you think the people who live in here are "elitists", you are nuts. These condos run about $100,000 each, not 1 million dollars each.

First, I'm sorry to have offended you. It wasn't my intent.

When I hear gated community, I automatically presume it's a high dollar property subdivision with hundreds of single family homes. With that type of demographic, I feel that it can be elitist. My BIL lives in gated/walled community in Orlando. He says it's for security. IMHO the area outside the community seems pretty safe.

Also, don't forgot that here in the northeast, we don't have gated communities and multi-tenant condo developments don't have gates checking people in and out. From my frame of reference, I couldn't fathom living anywhere that needs security. It's a personal quirk I guess.

Here are two developments in my town to give you an idea of what I'm used to:

This is a townhouse development:

http://thereserveatsevensprings.com/available-homes

This a a multi story condo development:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Burlington_MA_01803_M41327-4730- 1

Neither is gated. It's what I am used to.

...but it is in an area of Broward County that is 4 blocks from several depressed communities on the east side of the Florida Turnpike and 1/2 mile from the County Prison/Jail where over 500 inmates are behind bars.

It's seem that most of Florida seems to be like this. My in-laws live in Ocala in a pretty nice neighborhood but 1/2 mile south it's quite a stark difference. Perhaps zoning laws there are pretty lax.

As for the prisons, we have some in pretty nice towns:

MCI - Cedar Junction is a max security prison in Walpole, MA. Average home price $355K MCI Concord is medium security in Concord, MA. Average home price is $650K. Maybe our prisons are safer??

BTW, in Boston proper that $100K might get you an outdoor parking space to go with the $600K starter condo.

Again, sorry.
  • Options
    I guess you could say that I live in a gated community= a farm gate, that is... :P
    I do have a couple of security guards-

Mr. Colt:

and Mr. Ruger:

• Options
    I do have a couple of security guards

When my dad was in business in New York, he used to make drop deposits in cash at the bank after hours which was 1 block away (this was at a time when people paid cash for things and credit cards were almost non-existent) from his main store. One night, he was robbed at gunpoint and the thieves got away with over $1000, which was quite a lot of money back in the 1960's. So, he got licensed and bought a .38 Smith & Wesson snub-nosed police special. He still has it someplace in the house.

He used to go down to the shooting range at least once a month and practiced shooting with his friends who were all cops (he was a 1st Lt. In the New York City Auxilary Police) so he would carry it when in uniform in his belt, but had it concealed when he went to the bank to make night deposits.

He was pretty good at firing that pistol and was a marksman when he was in WWII.

2021 Genesis G90

This discussion has been closed.